PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: 2 Former League MVPs Playing Together at a High Level a First?

Calispursfan11
07-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Other than the current iteration of the Lakers, which team has had two former league MVPs not all that far removed from their greatness on the same team? I'm sure there must be a few teams, but I can't think of any past or present teams who had two former league MVPs still playing together at such a high level.

Can any basketball history gurus help me out? Btw, former MVPs like Karl Malone in the last season of his career averaging 5ppg do not count; nor does Shaq broken down on his last legs.

Calispursfan11
07-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Venti, for some reason your post seems to have disappeared. Yes, Kareem and Magic are a good example. But it's something you have to think about. It is not that common is my point and there's something to be said for that. I think this puts the Lakers back in front of OKC.

racm
07-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Do the 86 Celtics count? Bill Walton was healthy enough to win Sixth Man of the Year, for what it's worth.

Venti Quattro
07-07-2012, 02:57 AM
Venti, for some reason your post seems to have disappeared. Yes, Kareem and Magic are a good example. But it's something you have to think about. It is not that common is my point and there's something to be said for that. I think this puts the Lakers back in front of OKC.

I deleted it because Kareem was already over the hill when Magic won his first MVP in 1987. That was already Magic's team through and through.

Kai
07-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Kobe hadn't won an MVP yet, but Shaq and he are both MVP winners that played together at a high level. Supports you argument, IMO.

Calispursfan11
07-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Do the 86 Celtics count? Bill Walton was healthy enough to win Sixth Man of the Year, for what it's worth.

Definitely counts. Sixth man of the year is pretty high level IMO for a former league MVP, so Walton and Bird no doubt. Nice find.

Calispursfan11
07-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Kobe hadn't won an MVP yet, but Shaq and he are both MVP winners that played together at a high level. Supports you argument, IMO.

I'll go with that. I think if you are going to win an MVP soon, that counts as well even if you hadn't won one yet.

Dunc n Dave
07-07-2012, 03:56 AM
Robinson and Duncan: circa 2003, although Robinson was on his last leg (and season) he was still 2nd in win shares for the playoffs. Parker was still too inconsistent (hence Speedy Claxton saving the Spurs several times) and Manu was a rookie.

Still if you take the Kobe/Shaq combo, the Robinson/Duncan combo is comparable.

Venti Quattro
07-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Apparently there's another in Los Angeles -- Kareem and McAdoo. Cousy and Russell were team-mates in Boston and back to back MVP winners in the late 50's. Moses and Dr. J won a championship with Philly in 1983. LeBron and Shaq (although on his last legs) played a season together in Cleveland.

And Hakeem and Barkley played for Houston in the late 90's! How could we miss out on that one...

Calispursfan11
07-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Apparently there's another in Los Angeles -- Kareem and McAdoo. Cousy and Russell were team-mates in Boston and back to back MVP winners in the late 50's. Moses and Dr. J won a championship with Philly in 1983. LeBron and Shaq (although on his last legs) played a season together in Cleveland.

And Hakeem and Barkley played for Houston in the late 90's! How could we miss out on that one...

Indeed. Now that you mention it, there have been a few of these duos, all dynamite I might add. Let's see if Nash and Kobe can co-exist. I don't think I've ever seen Nash be a bad teammate to anyone but it will be interesting to see if they adapt to each other or if Nash changes his game more for Kobe.

Calispursfan11
07-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Robinson and Duncan: circa 2003, although Robinson was on his last leg (and season) he was still 2nd in win shares for the playoffs. Parker was still too inconsistent (hence Speedy Claxton saving the Spurs several times) and Manu was a rookie.

Still if you take the Kobe/Shaq combo, the Robinson/Duncan combo is comparable.

Close on the Robinson and Duncan duo. I'll give you props for that one.

da_suns_fan
07-07-2012, 09:11 AM
1996: Charles Barkley and Hakeem Olajuwon.