PDA

View Full Version : The Lakers have 4 top 25 players in the NBA..

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Possibly even top 20, tbh..

How many times has this occurred in NBA history?..

Mike Brown and Kobe are the only 2 obstacles to LA's West title..

eric365
07-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Lakers and Celtics from the 80s probably

And Gasol is not top 25 anymore

eric365
07-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Lakers and Celtics from the 80s probably

And Gasol is not top 25 anymore

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2012, 02:52 PM
There aren't 25 players that are better than Gasol, tbh..

Lincoln
07-07-2012, 02:54 PM
There aren't 25 players that are better than Gasol, tbh..

Bynumite
07-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Multiple LAL threads started by heatfan lately... feeling insecure? Wanna talk about it?

After all the "heat dynasty is a lock" propaganda from heatfan. Why you worried brah? :lol

InRareForm
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
The chosen 1 is always greater than 4 players

ChrisRichards
07-07-2012, 03:24 PM
98-99 Knicks

Ewing
Larry Johnson
Allan Houston
Sprewell

2000-2001 Kings

Bibby
Webber
Divac
Stojakovic

99-2000 Blazers

Sheed
Pippen
Steve Smith
Stoudemire

2011-12 OKC

Harden
Ibaka
Westbrook
Durant

ChrisRichards
07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
09-10 Boston was also pretty deep, its the last time all big 4 played well in the playoffs. Just one Kendric Perkins away from repeating as champs tbh.

Rondo
Allen
KG
Pierce

Koolaid_Man
07-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Multiple LAL threads started by heatfan lately... feeling insecure? Wanna talk about it?

After all the "heat dynasty is a lock" propaganda from heatfan. Why you worried brah? :lol

We land Dwight and Heat gone need to be commited.

ChrisRichards
07-07-2012, 03:30 PM
None of those teams won a championship btw. I think stacking teams with talent is still an overrated was to win a championship. Experience along with 2 Superstars and a boatload of supporting players who does their roles pretty well is still the best formula to win a championship (See MJ Bulls, Shaq's Lakers and Magics/Lakers & Bird's/Celtics.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 03:31 PM
The last time they had four top-25 players they went down in 5 in the Finals, which would make sense this time around too. Then again, they have nothing close to an 04 Shaq nor an 04 Kobe right now.

ChrisRichards
07-07-2012, 03:33 PM
^GP was past his prime. That team had a big three, nothing more.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Bullshit. Payton was coming off a 20/8 season and only traded because the Sonics got sick of his mouth.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 03:51 PM
98-99 Knicks

Ewing
Larry Johnson
Allan Houston
Sprewell

LOL, no way LJ was top 25 that year. Here's 35 guys easily better than him that year

1. Stephon Marbury
2. Allan Houston
3. Latrell Sprewell
4. Patrick Ewing
5. Allen Iverson
6. Vince Carter
7. Grant Hill
8. Reggie Miller
9. Rik Smits
10. Ray Allen
11. Glenn Robinson
12. Terrell Brandon
13. Dikembe Mutombo
14. Scottie Pippen
15. Hakeem Olajuwon
16. Charles Barkley
17. Eddie Jones
18. Tim Duncan
19. David Robinson
20. Antonio McDyess
21. Kevin Garnett
22. Tom Gugliotta
23. Rasheed Wallace
24. Brian Grant
25. JR Rider
26. Damon Stoudemire
27. Gary Payton
28. Karl Malone
29. John Stockton
30. Shaquille O'Neal
31. Kobe Bryant
32. Glen Rice
33. Jason Kidd
34. Chris Webber
35. Alonzo Mourning

ChrisRichards
07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Bullshit. Payton was coming off a 20/8 season and only traded because the Sonics got sick of his mouth.
Doesn't matter what he did the previous season. We're talking about what he did THAT season.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
^ 'Eh, maybe replace Stoudamire with Divac.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Doesn't matter what he did the previous season. We're talking about what he did THAT season.

So he becomes a lesser player because he had to share the ball with Shaq & Kobe? :lol

ChrisRichards
07-07-2012, 04:16 PM
LOL, no way LJ was top 25 that year. Here's 35 guys easily better than him that year

1. Stephon Marbury
2. Allan Houston
3. Latrell Sprewell
4. Patrick Ewing
5. Allen Iverson
6. Vince Carter
7. Grant Hill
8. Reggie Miller
9. Rik Smits
10. Ray Allen
11. Glenn Robinson
12. Terrell Brandon
13. Dikembe Mutombo
14. Scottie Pippen
15. Hakeem Olajuwon
16. Charles Barkley
17. Eddie Jones
18. Tim Duncan
19. David Robinson
20. Antonio McDyess
21. Kevin Garnett
22. Tom Gugliotta
23. Rasheed Wallace
24. Brian Grant
25. JR Rider
26. Damon Stoudemire
27. Gary Payton
28. Karl Malone
29. John Stockton
30. Shaquille O'Neal
31. Kobe Bryant
32. Glen Rice
33. Jason Kidd
34. Chris Webber
35. Alonzo Mourning

Easily? Doubt that. Probably not Top 25 for sure, but its debateable considering its a lockout season and we can't really tell who's better than who other than the few obvious ones.

Also those bolded players are not easily better than LJ that season. Most of those players have better statistical numbers due to stat padding on a pretty horrible team, others were having an off season (particularly Pippen who pretty much had the worst season of his careeer in Houston)

ChrisRichards
07-07-2012, 04:20 PM
So he becomes a lesser player because he had to share the ball with Shaq & Kobe? :lol
Dude, Payton was just done after leaving Seattle. He wasn't a lesser player because he joined Kobe and Shaq. He just declined as soon as he wore a Bucks jersey and never recovered from there. Laker fans would attest to that. He was horrible there and not any better in Boston and Miami either, minus the very few and select decent games in Miami when they won the chip.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Laker fans like to blame Payton when Kobe was the main guy who failed them. And his numbers were virtually the same in Milwaukee that they were in Seattle that year.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Easily? Doubt that. Probably not Top 25 for sure, but its debateable considering its a lockout season and we can't really tell who's better than who other than the few obvious ones.

Also those bolded players are not easily better than LJ that season. Most of those players have better statistical numbers due to stat padding on a pretty horrible team, others were having an off season (particularly Pippen who pretty much had the worst season of his careeer in Houston)

Can't blame Pippen for Barkley and Olajuwon not ever passing to him except at the end of the shot clock.

ChrisRichards
07-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Btw, baseline Bum. That's a pretty good list you gave me. Shows you're truly a fan or have been watching ball in the 90's :lol.

Blake
07-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Is Nash really a top 25 player?

Who are the top 25?

Latarian Milton
07-07-2012, 04:49 PM
None of those teams won a championship btw. I think stacking teams with talent is still an overrated was to win a championship. Experience along with 2 Superstars and a boatload of supporting players who does their roles pretty well is still the best formula to win a championship (See MJ Bulls, Shaq's Lakers and Magics/Lakers & Bird's/Celtics.

lebron/heat as well :lol

Halberto
07-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Nash is not in the top 25 anymore. Having him still leaves a black hole for the Lakers on defense in the backcourt. Adding him helps the Lakers, but I really believe it won't help them get past OKC or SAS. Nash really needs the ball 75% of the time and you know the only way Mike Brown will use him efficiently is to basically turn him loose. The only thing Laker fans can hope for is that Nash will lead a completely new offense, and we all know that wont happen with Kobe or Bynums growing ego.

namlook
07-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Is Nash really a top 25 player?

Who are the top 25?

Here's SLAMs top 50 from last year to give an idea.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/slamonline-top-50/2011/10/gallery-slamonline-top-50-players-2011/

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Nash is still a pretty devastating shooter, but yeah, he's borderline top 25.

jag
07-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Here's SLAMs top 50 from last year to give an idea.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/slamonline-top-50/2011/10/gallery-slamonline-top-50-players-2011/

That list is horrible, brah

InRareForm
07-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Lakers defense will be top 25 too.

Andrew Bynum
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Lakers defense will be top 25 too.

Cause Derek Fisher and Ramon Sessions made first team all defense this past year :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Whats up 'drew?

ElNono
07-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Cause Derek Fisher and Ramon Sessions made first team all defense this past year :lol

"first team all defense" is a joke, tbh... TOSB Bryant been getting the "in memorian" spot on that team for the past 5-6 seasons...

If we gotta add every player that fronted you, that's a 30 player team, tbh...

Killakobe81
07-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Laker fans like to blame Payton when Kobe was the main guy who failed them. And his numbers were virtually the same in Milwaukee that they were in Seattle that year.

GP was past his prime on the Lakers. But I think the triangle did him no favors that was a HORRIBLE offense for him.
triangle PG's need to be effective spot up shooters and that is by far his weakest skill. There were a lot of reasons the Lakers lost that year, the team was highly dysfunctional.

1. colorado incident
2. the subsequent rape trial
3. Shaq saying he was playing for his "guys" and omitting Kobe
4. PJ unwilling to adjust his offense for GP
5. Malone's injury
6. Fisher's resentment at being replaced
7. Kobe's chucking
8. Shaq's refusal to play defense in pnr (GP HATED that Shaq was never called out for it but he was blamed for Spurs taking a lead in their series)
9. Th feud (kobe & Shaq) the continued media frenzy
10. Buss and Shaq feuding over Shaq's extension

What a shitty year of Lakers basketball. Karl malone was one of the players I despised most in Utah, he was one of the few that did not contribute to our loss, unless you count his injury or him hitting on kobe's wife. What a true professional.

And of course the media's obsession with the Kobe/shaq drama ...Bucher and jim Gray in particular ... the cocksuckers.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 07:35 PM
How can you not count Malone pissing Kobe off by hitting on his wife? Warm Karl has been an A+ drama queen his whole career.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Remember when Malone used to bitch about how the media didn't treat him like Jordan? No shit they don't treat choking faggots like the GOAT.

Killakobe81
07-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Remember when Malone used to bitch about how the media didn't treat him like Jordan? No shit they don't treat choking faggots like the GOAT.

He has a tendency to choke at times, but so does KG.
Never liked him but seeing him play for a whole season his passing, rebounding and toughness was a treat. He is a great player whose nuts shrivel in the clutch. But I used to think Stockton made him look better than he was, now I realize that they both made each other.

racm
07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Only other scenario I can think of are the 86 Celtics

Bird
McHale
Parish
Walton (who played 80(!) games during that season and won 6MOY)

LkrFan
07-07-2012, 08:04 PM
GP was past his prime on the Lakers. But I think the triangle did him no favors that was a HORRIBLE offense for him.
triangle PG's need to be effective spot up shooters and that is by far his weakest skill. There were a lot of reasons the Lakers lost that year, the team was highly dysfunctional.

1. colorado incident
2. the subsequent rape trial
3. Shaq saying he was playing for his "guys" and omitting Kobe
4. PJ unwilling to adjust his offense for GP
5. Malone's injury
6. Fisher's resentment at being replaced
7. Kobe's chucking
8. Shaq's refusal to play defense in pnr (GP HATED that Shaq was never called out for it but he was blamed for Spurs taking a lead in their series)
9. Th feud (kobe & Shaq) the continued media frenzy
10. Buss and Shaq feuding over Shaq's extension

What a shitty year of Lakers basketball. Karl malone was one of the players I despised most in Utah, he was one of the few that did not contribute to our loss, unless you count his injury or him hitting on kobe's wife. What a true professional.

And of course the media's obsession with the Kobe/shaq drama ...Bucher and jim Gray in particular ... the cocksuckers.

I blame Shaq mostly. Here's proof:

Kobe critical of Shaq'sLuck_The_Fakers_leadership

The transcript of Kobe Bryant's interview withLuck_The_Fakers_ESPN's Jim Gray:

GRAY: What was your reaction to Shaq saying the Lakers are his team, and everybody knows it?

BRYANT: It doesn't matter whose team it is. Nobody cares. I don't, Karl [Malone] doesn't, Gary [Payton] doesn't, and our teammates and the fans don't either. There's more to life than whose team this is. But this is his team, so it's time for him to act like it. That means no more coming into camp fat and out of shape, when your team is relying on your leadership on and off the court. It also means no more blaming others for our team's failure, or blaming staff members for not overdramatizing your injuries so that you avoid blame for your lack of conditioning. Also, "my team" doesn't mean only when we win; it means carrying the burden of defeat just as gracefully as you carry a championship trophy.

GRAY: Do you consider Shaq to be a leader?
BRYANT: Leaders don't beg for a contract extension and negotiate some 30 million [dollars] plus per year deal in the media when we have two future Hall of Famers playing here pretty much for free. A leader would not demand the ball every time down the floor when you have the three of us [Malone, Payton, Bryant] playing beside you, not to mention the teammates you have gone to war with for years -- and, by the way, then threaten not to play defense and rebound if you don't get the ball every time down the floor.

GRAY: Shaq says that you have not been a team player. Is he right?

BRYANT: That's ridiculous. I have been successfully sacrificing my game for years for Shaq. That's what Phil [Jackson] wanted me to do, so I did it. Last year Phil told me Shaq was not in physical condition to carry the trust of our offense, so he asked me to do it. But then he saw Shaq was getting upset that the team wasn't running through him, so Phil asked me to pull back and I did. This year is no different; my role is whatever Phil wants it to be. Period.

GRAY: Through out the preseason, your leg and conditioning has been lagging. Are you in the proper shape to start the season?

BRYANT: My knee is not strong enough to play yet. I know it. When it is I will play.

GRAY: Does that mean you will miss the opener [Tuesday] night and other games?

BRYANT: I probably won't play tomorrow night or until I'm ready. But I don't need Shaq's advice on how to play hurt. I've played with IVs before, during and after games. I've played with a broken hand, a sprained ankle, a torn shoulder, a fractured tooth, a severed lip, and a knee the size of a softball. I don't miss 15 games because of a toe injury that everybody knows wasn't that serious in the first place.

GRAY: Kobe, Shaq said if you didn't like what he had to say you can opt out and leave next season. Will you leave the Lakers?

BRYANT: I won't make that decision until the end of the season. I told Shaq last year that I was planning on opting out. He knew before anyone. I told him out of respect for what we have been through together. I thought he should be the first to know. The fact that he acts like this is such a big shock is a mystery to me. If leaving the Lakers at the end of the season is what I decide, a major reason for that will be Shaq's childlike selfishness and jealousy.

GRAY: Do you feel Shaq has been supportive in regards to your legal situation?

BRYANT: He is not my quote unquote "big brother." A big brother would have called to lend his support this summer. I heard absolutely nothing from him. I spoke to Devean [George], Rick [Fox], Mitch [Kupchak], Phil, and our owner Jerry Buss. And Shaq's own Uncle Jerome called and left three messages. Other teammates like Derek [Fisher], Mark [Madsen], and [Stanislav Medvedenko] left messages as well. Opponents called like [Chris] Webber, [Mike] Bibby, and many others. So did a lot of coaches. Michael Jordan, who didn't have my home phone, tracked it down to lend his support. So did Tiger Woods. But yet from my so-called big brother, I heard nothing.

GRAY: Why not resolve this behind closed doors? Why is this so public?

BRYANT: I asked Phil on Sunday [yesterday] to say something to calm this situation down before it boiled over. But he backed away, so now here we are. I have been a bigger person every time something happened with Shaq, and I don't expect this to be any different. But somebody in this organization had to speak up, because his unprofessionalism hurt us last year, and I don't want it to hurt us this year.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1648431)

People overlook the drama Shaq caused because he was very good and likable to the media. One day he'll regret everything he left on the court. Kobe did his part. Shaq? Not so much.

Killakobe81
07-07-2012, 08:34 PM
PJ too his ego and playing both sides didnt help the drama either.

Andrew Bynum
07-07-2012, 08:44 PM
"first team all defense" is a joke, tbh... TOSB Bryant been getting the "in memorian" spot on that team for the past 5-6 seasons...

If we gotta add every player that fronted you, that's a 30 player team, tbh...

Way to miss the point of my post.

Ashy Larry
07-07-2012, 08:46 PM
the Nash signing is an improvement .... now the Lakers are only shit from 5 - 12 ......

scanry
07-07-2012, 09:08 PM
^ Killa i would disagree on the part of Phil. I don't think another coach in all of sports could've handled Shaq & Kobe the way Phil did. The reason why they had the three peat was solely on Phil insisting that Kobe be patient and the offense will be his in the future.

When the time finally arrived in the 2003 regular season, Shaq didn't take to it and Phil realized that it will be easier to coach (ego) Kobe than Shaq. No wonder Phil took a sabbatical after the 04 season.

Shaq was a freak of nature and should've won atleast 6-7 championships if he had the work ethic of a Kareem, Duncan or a Hakeem. The reason why these three big man will always be considered (IMO) better than Shaq is because they were fundamentally sound BB players. Shaq just couldn't develop a jumper, play defense or stay in shape for much of his peak. And more importantly his leadership abilities are vastly overrated.

Ashy Larry
07-07-2012, 09:15 PM
^ Killa i would disagree on the part of Phil. I don't think another coach in all of sports could've handled Shaq & Kobe the way Phil did. The reason why they had the three peat was solely on Phil insisting that Kobe be patient and the offense will be his in the future.

When the time finally arrived in the 2003 regular season, Shaq didn't take to it and Phil realized that it will be easier to coach (ego) Kobe than Shaq. No wonder Phil took a sabbatical after the 04 season.

Shaq was a freak of nature and should've won atleast 6-7 championships if he had the work ethic of a Kareem, Duncan or a Hakeem. The reason why these three big man will always be considered (IMO) better than Shaq is because they were fundamentally sound BB players. Shaq just couldn't develop a jumper, play defense or stay in shape for much of his peak. And more importantly his leadership abilities are vastly overrated.

what really happened during that 2003 season, the Lakers just figured that Kobe, Shaquille and that three peat core was enough to go four in a row. They thought Devean George had arrived and was going to roll with that squad. They made zero improvements and Shaquille started the season hurt (toe). By time they finally made up all the ground and got into the playoffs, they had ran out of gas and San Antone was just a better team.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Only other scenario I can think of are the 86 Celtics

Bird
McHale
Parish
Walton (who played 80(!) games during that season and won 6MOY)

I'd put

Abdul-Jabbar
Johnson
Worthy
Scott

from the 87 Lakers on that list too. I also think you put the wrong 4th guy for Boston: Dennis Johnson was a top 25 player. Walton wasn't.

mavs>spurs
07-07-2012, 09:18 PM
lmfao why the fuck do so many of you read and post stuff from slam magazine acting as if it's a credible source? that's like a basketball magazine for kiddies and teenagers with a bunch of pics and posters and no substance, it heavily reflects on your basktball knowledge tbh. i stopped reading those when i was like 14.

mavs>spurs
07-07-2012, 09:20 PM
and come to think of it it's always laker fans who do that too :lol

confirming what we all already knew about laker fans, tbh

Koolaid_Man
07-07-2012, 09:35 PM

Hey buddy I'd be mad as fuck too if my team was in the shitter :lmao

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2012, 11:53 AM
how much help does kome need?

Venti Quattro
07-08-2012, 11:56 AM

Yeah, he has 3 of the top 25 fkn wankers in the NBA.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-08-2012, 12:00 PM
fkn wanker

pass1st
07-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Seems like he needs the help of all the senior citizens he can get

Clipper Nation
07-08-2012, 12:47 PM
:lol Kobrick having to be carried by an all-star squad just to make the 2nd round
:lol LeClutch leading garbage and TOSB's into the Finals

ChrisRichards
07-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Nash is a Top 25 player last season and he will be back to Top 15 when he plays for the Lakers next season.

ElNono
07-08-2012, 01:23 PM

:lol

Trill Clinton
07-08-2012, 01:46 PM
steve nash out chea breaking hearts

j3gy2989yKw

Kidd K
07-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Nash and Gasol are still top 25? Nash in particular?

I dunno dude. Nash hasn't been a top 5 PG in a few years at least.

Rose
Williams
Paul
Rondo
Parker
Westbrook

All are better right now. And Irving is going to overtake him soon when Nash declines even more. . .which will probably be next year since he will be so ball-limited by Kobe who's going to demand 20+ shots a game.

Nash: at best 7th best PG in league right now. Might slip to 8 or 9 this next season. Still a better passer and playmaker than most, that skill will be restricted in LA, and his total lack of defense is just too big of a negative, especially on a team that loves to blame the "other guard" for backcourt failure whenever Kobe's on the floor.

namlook
07-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Nash: at best 7th best PG in league right now.... his total lack of defense is just too big of a negative....

Fisher and Sessions were both poor defenders. Lakers don't lose much on defense there. On offense they gain immeasurably.

Nash will be a top 5 PG next year. So many options around him will get him all kinds of open space to work with. He's never played on a team with this much talent around him.

phoenix219
07-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Statistically speaking, Nash is still a top 3 PG in this league.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/2012/07/02/statophile-36-snapshot-steve-nash-productivity-and-age/