PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Tim Duncan re-signs (3 years, $30M), Patty Mills re-signs, De Colo signs

Pages : [1] 2

Outlier
07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Duncan's representatives and the Spurs are finalizing a few items, but the structure has been agreed upon. The contract is expected to be in the range of the three-year, $34 million deal Kevin Garnett reached with the Boston Celtics the day before the NBA's free-agent market opened.

The Spurs have reached agreements with free agents Danny Green (three years, $12 million) and Boris Diaw (two years, $9.2 million). They also have a struck a deal to re-sign guard Patty Mills, who opted out of his contract after last season, and intend to add French guard Nando De Colo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--tim-duncan-to-sign-three-year-contract-with-spurs.html

timvp
07-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Awesome :tu

DesignatedT
07-10-2012, 10:57 AM
yay

xellos88330
07-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Looks like it was around the 12m people were suspecting here.

shyne
Patty mills signed too

crc21209
I just saw this on Yahoo. Woj on top of it as always. Great news! :tu

TE
07-10-2012, 10:59 AM
:tu Good news

lefty
Tosb.

coyotes_geek
They also have a struck a deal to re-sign guard Patty Mills...

:wow

racm
3 year deal huh?

Expires around the same time Green's contract does...

timvp
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
The contract is expected to be in the range of the three-year, $34 million deal Kevin Garnett reached with the Boston Celtics the day before the NBA's free-agent market opened.

As expected, should start at around ~$11 million. That's more than fair for his production.

Personally, I hope it's fully guaranteed over three years. I know Spurs fans were hoping he'd take $5 and a Bonner sandwich to re-sign but Duncan has earned this money and it'd be a joy to watch him for three more seasons.

Welcome back, Timmy :smokin

DesignatedT
How did KG's contract work out? Was it fully guaranteed?

lefty
Shitty deal

He is stealing money TBH

yavozerb
07-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Enjoy the next 3 seasons people...Great job by FO by letting the dust settle on other FA signings...

Vic Petro
They must have really been waiting on that Camby shoe to drop.

Glad we got these players back. Now for the love of all that's decent trade Bonner for some head cheese and olive loaf.

Spursfanfromafar
Amnesty Bonner..lure Lorbek with the BAE even if he doesn't want to bite.. Try a sign & trade for Blair, Joseph, Anderson for a big (Anthony Randolph?) and I guess.. that should be it.

timvp
Damn, Ludden scoops the Duncan re-signing, Mills re-signing and bringing in De Colo in a matter of sentences. Legendary stuff :lol

SenorSpur
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Damn, Ludden scoops the Duncan re-signing, Mills re-signing and bringing in De Colo in a matter of sentences. Legendary stuff :lol

Where's Jeff Mac when he's needed?

pad300
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Three full years? I'm surprised they didn't try to get Boris for a full 3 years as well.

On another note. YAY! 3 more years of TD!! :toast:lobt2:

tdunk21
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
its about time...awesome news

SenorSpur
07-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Amnesty Bonner..lure Lorbek with the BAE even if he doesn't want to bite.. Try a sign & trade for Blair, Joseph, Anderson for a big (Anthony Randolph?) and I guess.. that should be it.

That's quite a lot to chew on, but I like the proposed plan. :hat

tmtcsc
Ok, so where does this leave the Spurs $$ wise for additional help with a big ? Are the options pretty much to trade or amensty? Is anyone out there that we still have a legit chance of getting ?

DesignatedT
This means Neal is going to be moved right? I mean Patty/De Colo and Gary? Unless De Colo is playing in Austin next year.

Slomo

and it'd be a joy to watch him for three more seasons.

Welcome back, Timmy :smokin

Hear, Hear!

DesignatedT
07-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Ok, so where does this leave the Spurs $$ wise for additional help with a big ? Are the options pretty much to trade or amensty? Is anyone out there that we still have a legit chance of getting ?

trade or trade. or sign someone to veterans minimum.

tmtcsc
07-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Does this leave Corey Joseph Austin bound or do we see him and DeColo as interchangeable parts that will swap time in Austin?

Aiko9245
Be still my heart.

SamoanTD
We Stacked. Again.

weebo
Shitty deal

He is stealing money TBH

Sa_Spursfan20
07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Hell yes. Good to here! Finally the news is starting to come in!

timvp
07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
How did KG's contract work out? Was it fully guaranteed?

IIRC, the final year for KG's contract isn't fully guaranteed. However, I can't Google a link that spells it out. Maybe someone else can find details.

As for Duncan, I'd bet the third year is partially guaranteed. I'm hoping fully guaranteed because it'd be cool to see him play three more seasons.

Anyway, three years and ~$34 million is great value even for an old Tim Duncan.

Bruno
07-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Great news. :tu

Even if Spurs won't likely win a title with Duncan, it's really nice to be able to see him at least a couple of years. I'm waiting to see details of his deal but at the end it doesn't really matter. Duncan is staying, that's cool.

Mills and De Colo signed is too a good news because both should be cheap. Saying Spurs have a true logjam of guards. There will likely have a trade.

I. Hustle
07-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Bonner just renegotiated his contract for another 26 years.

lebomb
07-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Shitty deal

He is stealing money TBH

:rolleyes

timvp
07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Ok, so where does this leave the Spurs $$ wise for additional help with a big ?

Depends on the details for Mills and De Colo. If they both signed for the minimum (unlikely), the Spurs would have ~$2 million to spend.

The likely scenario is the Spurs will be relegated to trades to improve from here on out.

loveforthegame
07-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Damn good news. :tu

The FO know how to get it done even if they make us wait.

Next up: unload some guys and get another big.

racm
07-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Blair wants out and Neal looks expendable again. Methinks a trade for an athletic forward (Anthony Randolph?) could be wangled.

Robz4000
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Damn, in just 16 hours the Spurs did more than any other team has yet this offseason (and extremely efficiently as well). I know this was all most likely handled over the course of the last week and a half, but it's still pretty awesome.

Now get rid of Bonner.

Bruno
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
BTW, where did the $36M figure come?

If Spurs need more space below the apron or want to stay below the luxury tax threshold, they can amnesty Bonner.

Spurtacus
07-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Timmy is worth every penny. Three more years in a Spurs uni!

lurker23
07-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Very happy to have Duncan back in the fold for another 3 years. Cheers Big Fundamental. :toast

Gotta think a trade of Neal or Joseph is on the horizon (with Neal being more likely). Very crowded backcourt.

Parker/De Colo/Mills/Joseph
Manu/Green/Neal/(Denmon?)

SenorSpur
07-10-2012, 11:19 AM
As expected as this news was, it's still good now that the deal is done. It goes without saying that Duncan is a franchise icon and richly deserves this.

I only hope that the FO can now surround him with at least 2 young, athletic bigs, which he could begin mentoring and who could help him with some of the heavy lifting over his remaining years.

If the only way to accomplish this is via the trade route, bring it on.

rascal
07-10-2012, 11:19 AM
It is not news. There was no doubt the Spurs were going to re-sign their players.

Now lets see if they can get a player who will make a big impact and be a difference maker. That would be news.

The Lakers added Nash the Spurs are bringing back the same team.

CGD
07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Im a big fan of Gary Neal, but Patty makes him duplicative tbh. You have to think he's being shopped, plus in many ways the Spurs would have similar contract issues with Neal as with Splitter next summer.

With respect to trades, it would almost have to take two value contracts like Blair & Neal to entice a team to take Bonner. Thise three together though is pretty great value for $5M.

Redshadows
I can see Neal and Blair being traded.

Resigning Green, Mills and signing De Colo mean no room for Neal.

Neal, Blair and Bonner could be traded for a nice backup PF.

Redshadows
I can see Neal and Blair being traded.

Resigning Green, Mills and signing De Colo mean no room for Neal.

Neal, Blair and Bonner could be traded for a nice backup PF.

rascal
07-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Damn, in just 16 hours the Spurs did more than any other team has yet this offseason (and extremely efficiently as well). I know this was all most likely handled over the course of the last week and a half, but it's still pretty awesome.

Now get rid of Bonner.

The Lakers have done more to improve from last year by adding Nash.

SenorSpur
07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Im a big fan of Gary Neal, but Patty makes him duplicative tbh. You have to think he's being shopped, plus in many ways the Spurs would have similar contract issues with Neal as with Splitter next summer.

With respect to trades, it would almost have to take two value contracts like Blair & Neal to entice a team to take Bonner. Thise three together though is pretty great value for $5M.

I have to imagine that Neal has some value around the NBA, though I'm not sure what that is. I agree. Package him, Bonner and possibly Blair in order to entice a team to trade a young athletic big man, if possible.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-10-2012, 11:24 AM
So Diaw signs on for 2 more years, which if I have this right would follow the end of Parker's contract. I'm very curious if Tim wants to play 2 more years and the third year is an expiring they can potentially use at that point if they plan on some rebuilding?

Dex
If the Spurs are going to amnesty Bonner, it has to be done by tomorrow, correct?

bklynspursfan
Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN
Working to confirm Y! report Spurs have reached deal w/ Tim Duncan, though considering the source you can take it to the bank.

(5 minutes ago) :lol

TXstbobcat
Lots of great news today! Duncan get's to retire a spur (not that this was ever in doubt) and we get to watch him for another 3 years.

rascal
07-10-2012, 11:25 AM
I have to imagine that Neal has some value around the NBA, though I'm not sure what that is. I agree. Package him, Bonner and possibly Blair in order to entice a team to trade a young athletic big man, if possible.

Why would another team trade an athletic big for the Spurs worst players.

Russ
07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Come on De Colo, prove all the detractors wrong.:flag:

(Like me.:()

jyra
07-10-2012, 11:29 AM
If the Spurs are going to amnesty Bonner, it has to be done by tomorrow, correct?

The amnesty clause can be used for the first seven days following the moratorium period, so the 17th is the last possible day.

smaka
Awesome news are awesome!

Darkwaters
Very happy to have Duncan back in the fold for another 3 years. Cheers Big Fundamental. :toast

Gotta think a trade of Neal or Joseph is on the horizon (with Neal being more likely). Very crowded backcourt.

Parker/De Colo/Mills/Joseph
Manu/Green/Neal/(Denmon?)

I agree. I could see both Neal and Joseph on the block. While it's hard to imagine the Spurs flipping Cory Joe so quickly, they seem to be well stacked at the PG with Parker/Mills/Joseph firmly set as PG's only, and Neal/DeColo/Denmon as possible emergency PG's or even full on converts.

Somethings gotta live.

Spurtacus
Any other confirmation besides Yahoo on the Mills and De Colo resigning?

DesignatedT
lol

timvp
At the guard spots, the Spurs have:

Parker
Ginobili
Green
Neal
Mills
De Colo
Joseph
Denmon

I think Joseph and Denmon are going to battle for one spot on the roster. If Joseph sucks in summer league, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs ate his final year and just released him. However, if Joseph shows some potential, the Spurs will probably beg Denmon to go to Europe.

As for the rest, Neal really does look like the odd man out. Mills as the backup point guard and De Colo as the fifth guard makes sense. Neal, Mills and De Colo battling for the same minutes doesn't make sense.

Dex
07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
The amnesty clause can be used for the first seven days following the moratorium period, so the 17th is the last possible day.

Spurs should definitely take all the time they have available to see if they can't ship of the T-Rex in some sort of trade.

It won't work, of course, and if it doesn't then they should just amnesty him. But it would be silly to not even try.

Bruno
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
De Colo is confirming his signing on Valencia official website. He is too thanking the fans for the three years spend in Spain:
http://valenciabasket.com/index.php?id=noticias&noti=2054

His contract with Spurs is a 2 years contract.

Robz4000
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
The Lakers have done more to improve from last year by adding Nash.
Nah, Nash will be more of a lateral move imo. The Lakers' inability to slow opposing PGs will still be readily apparent.

ThaBigFundamental21
07-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Here's something to chew on. With De Colo and Mills signing, are the Spurs shopping Parker??? We know he has he most value of our pieces, is it possible the front office is upset with his club incident? Just a thought.

smaka
Now trade away Bonner, Blair and Neal for a big man, please!

SenorSpur

That's why I ended the post with the conditional "if possible" statement. If Steve Novak can get 15 mil from the Knicks, then that tells us there are still plenty of sucker GMs out there - despite the absence of Isiah Thomas.

While the odds aren't very good of such a trade happening, one never knows.

CubanMustGo
:lol at the hate for SAEN

OF COURSE people are going to give info to national media, yahoo etc., before the regional newspaper

Didn't happen that way when Ludden was here, why should that always be the case now?

Juggity
07-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Some teams might want this:
pKtfj66ni5I

SenorSpur
Here's something to chew on. With De Colo and Mills signing, are the Spurs shopping Parker??? We know he has he most value of our pieces, is it possible the front office is upset with his club incident? Just a thought.

If the Spurs were planning on trading Parker, then what would've been the point of resigning Duncan? Trading Parker signals "blow up" time.

Bill_Brasky
Holy shit.

Patty is gonna end up being a great pickup.

timvp

No.

benefactor
07-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Wow...when they got rolling they got all of them done quickly.

Welcome back TD. You are the Spurs and I'm honored to get to watch you for three more seasons.

bklynspursfan
07-10-2012, 11:39 AM
John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger
Looks like Duncan deal can keep Spurs a hair under tax line, esp. if they move Blair.

timtonymanu
07-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Nice, after a lackluster start to the free agency period, the Spurs make quick moves in less than 12 hours.

Obviously I'm a Patty homer, but it's nice to see him back. I was surprised both sides agreed on a contract since I thought Mills would look for a bigger pay and the Spurs' logjam at guards.

Nice to see Diaw come back for cheap as well. Excited about De Colo.

And finally we get 3 more years of Tim Duncan. Till the wheels fall off.

timvp
De Colo is confirming his signing on Valencia official website. He is too thanking the fans for the three years spend in Spain:

Hmmm ... two years makes it sound like his salary is coming out of the BAE.

Das Texan

Have the Spurs beat writers broken any of these signings?

pad300
07-10-2012, 11:41 AM

I'd guess the BAE... $4M/2years.

xmas1997
07-10-2012, 11:42 AM
That pretty much confirms "who" is coming from Spain that Blair was referring to, not Lorbek.

freetiago
07-10-2012, 11:44 AM
dont like the mills or de colo signing
i guess de colo could be a project type signing and hes cheap
but we know he cant defend so is he really any better then neal whos proven

but mills cant defend or pass and hes undersized
he can shoot but so can everyone elses spot he would be taking

rather see what denmon can bring
we know he can defend and hit big time shots
also efficient player in general
also said hes been working a lot on his pick and roll play this since the season ended

joseph please go
guy cant do anything
no amount of summer league/training camp can magically make this guy an nba rotation caliber player

timvp
07-10-2012, 11:44 AM
John Hollinger ‏@johnhollinger
Looks like Duncan deal can keep Spurs a hair under tax line, esp. if they move Blair.

It's really unlikely that the Spurs can stay under the tax line. In fact, it's probably impossible without amnestying Bonner.

ElNono
07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Welcome back Tim!

CubanMustGo
07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
It's really unlikely that the Spurs can stay under the tax line. In fact, it's probably impossible without amnestying Bonner.

From your lips to the Spurs FO's ears ...

timtonymanu
07-10-2012, 11:48 AM

That's not gonna happen.

Spurtacus
07-10-2012, 11:49 AM

:hungry:

Bruno
07-10-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd guess the BAE... $4M/2years.

Or a part of it like $3M/2 years.

bklynspursfan
07-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Then I guess it's impossible, cause I don't see Bonner getting amnestied. Ah well...

:depressed

timvp
07-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Tbh, I'm surprised Mills didn't hold out a little longer. I'd think he could land the full BAE somewhere.

freetiago
07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
maybe mills really enjoyed waving the towel during all the blowout wins

pad300
07-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Sans Amnesty, Tim and Dentmon, with De Colo at $2M, Green at $4M, and Diaw at $4.6M, I get something on the order of $60.5M. Tax Line is $70M IIRC

PS. Mills also probably got a raise from 885K...

Laredoart
07-10-2012, 11:58 AM

They may just need some guys who can help you get to the playoff or they may need some three point shooters, plus Neal is a pure shooter and he can actually hit any type of shot, the only reason why we would let him go is because of his defense in last years playoff, Bonner one of the best three point shooters in the league, but again can make it happen in the playoff, Blair a hell of a hustle and energy type of player, but with his height his not usable for us in the playoff. Theres some teams who can actually benefit from this guys, they have cheap contracts, they are young, and they can take you to the playoff. We should be looking to trade with someone who verly made the playoff or was close to making it, but is gotta be from the East, is alot eassier to trade with somebody from the East, they dont play us as much and they dont have to see us in the playoff till the NBA Finals.

davidbowie
07-10-2012, 11:58 AM
DRIVE FOR FIVE IN FULL EFFECT!!!!!!!

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Dex
07-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Tbh, I'm surprised Mills didn't hold out a little longer. I'd think he could land the full BAE somewhere.

That 20-game winning streak probably had a lot of guys like Diaw and Mills wondering just how good this team can be...

ThaBigFundamental21
07-10-2012, 12:01 PM
If the Spurs were planning on trading Parker, then what would've been the point of resigning Duncan? Trading Parker signals "blow up" time.

So you are telling me if he Spurs go and get another big man for Parker, it is still blow up time. You don't think maybe Mills could hold it down? We know he isn't nearly as good as Parker, but a quality big man won't offset the loss??? We have gotten only so far with a good PG, and no big men to pair with Duncan. Why not take a step back at PG and improve your inside presence? It's a gamble, but are we winning a title without another big man this next season?

Bruno
07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
If Spurs are something like $3M above the tax, then they would have a strong financial incentive to amnesty Bonner. I haven't yet look at the close number but a Bonner amnesty could save about $4M to Spurs.

smackdaddy11
07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Sure would be nice if Tim's contract was as front-loaded as possible, thus creating as much space as possible for next year.

BackHome
07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Does this leave Corey Joseph Austin bound or do we see him and DeColo as interchangeable parts that will swap time in Austin?

People need to give up on CJ being a PG it is never going to happen. His best shot is SG which I don't think he has a chance of doing in the next two years.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Let the Nando de Colo nickname contest begin :smokin

Spurs21Fan4Ever
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
So you are telling me if he Spurs go and get another big man for Parker, it is still blow up time. You don't think maybe Mills could hold it down? We know he isn't nearly as good as Parker, but a quality big man won't offset the loss??? We have gotten only so far with a good PG, and no big men to pair with Duncan. Why not take a step back at PG and improve your inside presence? It's a gamble, but are we winning a title without another big man this next season?
By quality big man do you mean Dwight Howard? ;)

loveforthegame
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Still need another big. And from the looks of things it will have to come via trade.

What a log jam at the guard position.

vander
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
spurs have done nothing to improve on last years team yet, and due to age, they are worse going into next year.

need to do something significant

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Nice. Glad to see Tim back especially, but I'm also pretty stoked to have Diaw, Green, and Mills re-signed and to see what DeColo can bring. Wish they could have found a way to bring in Lorbek too, but honestly, I'm not sure where the money would have been to get him also unless they could have salary-dumped ginger.

Libri
07-10-2012, 12:16 PM

If he sucks, I'm pretty sure that the first "o" of his last name will be replaced by another vowel.

Libri
07-10-2012, 12:19 PM
spurs have done nothing to improve on last years team yet, and due to age, they are worse going into next year.

Isn't having Mills or De Colo running the backup pg position an improvement?

ace3g
07-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Spurs forward Tim Duncan's three-year deal is fully guaranteed and the third-year is a player's option, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 12:25 PM

That really gives me hope then.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Cut bonner and sign any stiff with height

There's no way this team will be worse off

Spurs da champs
07-10-2012, 12:27 PM

How so? De Colo is unproven & Mills is just a smaller Neal. Still looks terrible defensively!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
How so? De Colo is unproven & Mills is just a smaller Neal. Still looks terrible defensively!

Mills has played point guard before and De Colo is a great mix of point/shooting guard. That's better than forcing Neal to be a point guard when he should really just be shooting.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
At least both can handle the ball. Sometimes it got really ugly watching Neal try to bring up the ball as a PG. Chris Paul embarrassed him.

benefactor
07-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I would think they would try to salary dump Bonner on a team with cap space before amnestying him. His contract is pretty easy to absorb and could become a nice trade chip for some team with it being unguaranteed next season.

timvp
07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Spurs forward Tim Duncan's three-year deal is fully guaranteed and the third-year is a player's option, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

:elephant

Seventyniner
07-10-2012, 12:36 PM

If he whips crazy passes around like a young Manu, it'll be Nando de Loco.

07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
spurs might finally have a steady back up PG but these two players still don't offset the fact that manu/parker/jackson/duncan just got another year older and another year slower. having the almost exact same team with minor changes only works for young teams that get better with age like the thunder. not declining teams like the spurs.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2012, 12:37 PM
My girlfriend calls him Nando de Chulo already

Vic Petro
07-10-2012, 12:39 PM
@SpearsNBAYahoo
Tim Duncan also has a no-trade clause in his new contract with the Spurs.

:lol

ElNono
07-10-2012, 12:39 PM

I thought you were done with the NBA? :lol

ElNono
07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
I would think they would try to salary dump Bonner on a team with cap space before amnestying him. His contract is pretty easy to absorb and could become a nice trade chip for some team with it being unguaranteed next season.

That'd be nice. Saves about $3.5 millions if they do it for a pick + cash...

bklynspursfan
07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
@SpearsNBAYahoo: Tim Duncan also has a no-trade clause in his new contract with the Spurs.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it :)

timvp
07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Ludden has edited the article and taken out the part about $34 million. I wonder if we're going to hear an actual figure soon. I'd guess $34-36M.

crc21209
07-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Nice. Glad to see Tim back especially, but I'm also pretty stoked to have Diaw, Green, and Mills re-signed and to see what DeColo can bring. Wish they could have found a way to bring in Lorbek too, but honestly, I'm not sure where the money would have been to get him also unless they could have salary-dumped ginger.

I'm really stoked to have them back as well. :tu I wanna see what The Big 3 along with Kawhi, Jack, Diaw, Green, Splitter, Mills, De Colo, Neal (if he's still here) and maybe another big or 2 can do with a full training camp together...

crc21209
07-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Ludden has edited the article and taken out the part about $34 million. I wonder if we're going to hear an actual figure soon. I'd guess $34-36M.

FWIW, SportsCenter just reported it as 3 years, 36 million. But it IS ESPN...:lol

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I hope Neal is back too. He's not a point guard, but he's a big game shooter.

jon123spurs
07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Ok so now on to the real off season decision. AMNESTY BONNER!!!!

crc21209
07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I hope Neal is back too. He's not a point guard, but he's a big game shooter.

+1. I want him back as well, mainly because big game/big time shooters are hard to find. We should all know this by now (cough cough) Bonner. We need guys with balls on this team like Jack and Neal....

timtonymanu
07-10-2012, 12:55 PM

Yeah I understand we have a log jam at guard and Neal is an atrocious defender, but if we lose him we lose a guy who can hit big shots. I know they practically have no trade value but I would rather the Spurs trade away Joseph and Anderson.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2012, 12:59 PM
If the Spurs need to avoid the tax mid season they can also unload Jax at some point. That would suck, but its obviously an option with a good sized expiring deal.

timvp
07-10-2012, 12:59 PM
FWIW, SportsCenter just reported it as 3 years, 36 million. But it IS ESPN...:lol

Meh, I guess I'll change the title of the thread to reflect that. Since ESPN also has Green's correct salary, they may have gotten the scoop on Duncan's number.

Spurtacus
07-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah I understand we have a log jam at guard and Neal is an atrocious defender, but if we lose him we lose a guy who can hit big shots. I know they practically have no trade value but I would rather the Spurs trade away Joseph and Anderson.

Trade chips are Neal/Blair/Bonner/Joseph in that order. Spurs didn't pick up Anderson's option so I believe he is a UFA. The now logjam at the guard position does mean someone will move traded or moved.

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 01:02 PM
If the Spurs need to avoid the tax mid season they can also unload Jax at some point. That would suck, but its obviously an option with a good sized expiring deal.

Unless StackJack blows out his knee or something, you'll see an A+ meltdown from me that'll put my reactions to signing Bonner and Dick in 2010 to shame should they salary-dump him.

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Trade chips are Neal/Blair/Bonner/Joseph in that order. Spurs didn't pick up Anderson's option so I believe he is a UFA. The now logjam at the guard position does mean someone will move traded or moved.

I think they just keep Joseph in Austin and won't pick up the QO next summer. Nothing about Jospeh says NBA player.

SenorSpur
07-10-2012, 01:13 PM

Agree completely.

As much as a proponent Holt was of reinstituting the amnesty clause as part of the CBA and as much as I wish the Spurs would do so, I simply don't see them using this out on Bonner.

Using the amnesty clause just doesn't appear to be an economic vehicle that they would take. Remember, they were almost too willing to use it on RJ last year until they somehow finally found a sucker to take him off their hands. I have to imagine that, as seemingly improbable as the idea of moving RJ's contract was, they were able to do so with a little bit of patience and good fortune. After that fiasco, I'm sure to them the idea of finding a taker for Bonner should be easier. That's assuming they're as fed up as most of us are and want to move him at all.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Unless StackJack blows out his knee or something, you'll see an A+ meltdown from me that'll put my reactions to signing Bonner and Dick in 2010 to shame should they salary-dump him.

I don't necessarily think that it needs to be a salary dump at all. The fact is that Jax has the best expiring contract for a trade - especially if bundled with some of the smaller contracts. The Spurs could shed payroll and get better with his expiring.

SenorSpur
07-10-2012, 01:15 PM

Same here. Salary dumping Jack would be akin to beating the kids because the dog pooped in the house.

-21-
07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Although the Big 3 will be a year older, we also have to remember guys like Danny, Tiago, and Kawhi will come in with more experience and a full training camp. I'm not saying they'll be as good as they were this past season but we should look at the bright side for once.

Right now I'm just happy we still got Timmy for the next couple of years.

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't necessarily think that it needs to be a salary dump at all. The fact is that Jax has the best expiring contract for a trade - especially if bundled with some of the smaller contracts. The Spurs could shed payroll and get better with his expiring.

Obviously I'd be down if they could pull a Gasol trade, but steals like that are few and far between.

timvp
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Regarding Patty Mills, it looks like the maximum the Spurs could pay him is just a little bit more than $1 million. That's a damn good deal for someone who illustrated intriguing potential at the end of last season.

SA210
07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Where's Jeff Mac when he's needed?

He isn't needed, nor is he wanted.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM

This is just wrong. Both got outmuscled but while Neal was still at the three point line spinning off a pick with his man driving through the paint, Mills is able to keep in front of his man. His lateral quickness is up there with Tony's. He hasn't proven that he can shoot as consistently well as Neal but he is up there too.

Neal was just more experienced at this point running an offense especially this one.

It stands to reason that Leonard, Splitter, Mills, and Green will be better with another year in the NBA. Duncan, Ginobilli, and Jackson will probably take another step back due to age.

Where they end up is anyone's guess.

Dex
07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Regarding Patty Mills, it looks like the maximum the Spurs could pay him is just a little bit more than $1 million. That's a damn good deal for someone who illustrated intriguing potential at the end of last season.

Damn good indeed for a guy who dropped 34 and 12, including some big shots, and one pair of three googles...

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/photo_images/6669998/20120426_pjc_se9_400.jpg

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Until the wheels fall off.

:clap

wildbill2u
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Nando de culo?

Macca76
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Or a part of it like $3M/2 years.

French newspaper "L'équipe" announces 2.8 M$ for two years and says that Barcelone offered more but De Colo chose to rejoin TP and Boris Diaw to the spurs to form a a french "big three". OK they got a little bit carried away about this :lol

"ll va signer dans les prochaines heures un contrat de 2,8 millions de dollars. Sollicité par le FC Barcelone qui lui proposait des conditions supérieures aux Spurs, l'arrière des Bleus a choisi de rejoindre Tony Parker et Boris Diaw avec qui il va former un "Big three" français dans le sud du Texas. Du jamais vu dans une franchise NBA."

spurraider21
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
i'm glad we got all this stuff done, and got it all done by today, 1 day before free agents can sign. i really hope these contracts were actually frontloaded for this year, as next year is when we are going to try to make a splash in free agency with Manu (14 mil), Jax (10 mil), Splitter (3.9 mil), and Blair and Neal (combined 2 mil) come off the books. For the mathematically challenged that comes out to be roughly 30 million. If we frontloaded the contracts we just signed, it would give us some more room as well.

Otherwise, with the contracts we signed today, our salary this year comes out to roughly 67.4 million, with the cap being about 60 million and the luxury tax threshold at about 70 million. With that estimated 30 million comin off the books next offseason, we will be sitting at a cap number of 37.4 million, giving us plenty of room to resign Manu/Jax to lesser contracts, probably somewhere near MLE numbers and still have well over 10-12 million to sign a difference maker

spursfan1000
07-10-2012, 02:28 PM
That's probably a year too much for Duncan but for all he has done for us it is well deserved. Im very glad that we can see mr fundamental for another 3 years! Hes just a goat!

As for patty mills, I'm really high on this signing, he's a very good shooter and has a lot better ball handling then Gary Neal. Training camp will really help him along with Diaw leonard green.

As for colo, I don't know much about him, but spurs have proven to be good scouters, so if they see something in him, he must be good

z0sa
07-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Spurs FO just doing the do.

Hoops Czar
07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
The Spurs are too busy signing guards ( De Cola) they don't need rather than actualy filling holes (PF) to improve the team. It makes absolutely no sense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
The Spurs are too busy signing guards ( De Cola) they don't need rather than actualy filling holes (PF) to improve the team. It makes absolutely no sense.

What kind of forward/center could they have signed with that money?

yavozerb
07-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Think where going to see alot more small ball next season..Our other big well be Kawhi and/or SJax.

Hoops Czar
07-10-2012, 02:39 PM

That money combined with a amnesty or trade could free up enough cash to lure someone to sign. What are they going to do with De cola?

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
That money combined with a amnesty or trade could free up enough cash to lure someone to sign. What are they going to do with De cola?

No it couldn't.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM

No it couldn't.

^^^

FuzzyLumpkins
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Not only that but backup point was a huge problem for them coming down the stretch and into the postseason. Neal was a liability when someone pressured the ball and just does not have the quickness to defend NBA PGs.

De Colo and Mills does not just improve PG play but also moves Neal back to where he belongs.

Ditty
07-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I hope our next target is Kenyon Martin

DPG21920
07-10-2012, 02:45 PM
So Patty gets the rest of the MLE? Also, Tims contract, along with the others signed still leaves the Spurs next year with significant cap space plus Tim/TP/Kawhi/Green/Patty under contract.

There could be others under contract too depending on options, guarantees & QO's, but the above is what looks set in stone.

The key is whether or not that cap space will be used mainly on Manu.

ploto
07-10-2012, 02:48 PM
The Spurs have reached agreements with free agents Danny Green (three years, $12 million) and Boris Diaw (two years, $9.2 million). They also have a struck a deal to re-sign guard Patty Mills, who opted out of his contract after last season, and intend to add French guard Nando De Colo.

Glad they only signed Diaw for 2 years.

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 02:48 PM
So Patty gets the rest of the MLE?

More likely the non-Bird exception.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm wondering if Mills was given some sort of assurance he would get the backup PG spot. It's very possible he just wanted to stay on this team no matter what, but it didn't seem like he really tested the waters elsewhere. IF Mills becomes the backup PG, in a way, this could make things better for Neal staying on the team. Let him return to his only role of spot up shooter/microwave for about 12 minutes a game.

Nando could play with Neal to alleviate some of the size mismatches on defense.

To me, the player who needs to go is CoJo. Unless he makes a deal with the devil and suddenly drastically improves he's just holding up spots for other players to be developed. SL will show if our draft pick can hang with the competition. And as others have suggested, I could easily see the FO trying to get him over to Europe for a year while they are still dealing with CoJo.

A lot of guards. Probably a lot of small ball coming up no matter what happens.

MaNu4Tres
07-10-2012, 02:52 PM
So Patty gets the rest of the MLE? Also, Tims contract, along with the others signed still leaves the Spurs next year with significant cap space plus Tim/TP/Kawhi/Green/Patty under contract.

There could be others under contract too depending on options, guarantees & QO's, but the above is what looks set in stone.

The key is whether or not that cap space will be used mainly on Manu.

You can pretty much all but guarantee Manu will get a 2 year deal around 15-18 million next year IMO. I think that it makes the most sense for his new contract to match Duncan's in terms of when they expire.

Spurs Brazil
07-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Great news. 3 more years of the greatest PF ever!

:hungry:

timvp
07-10-2012, 02:56 PM
So Patty gets the rest of the MLE?

No, he can get more money without dipping into the MLE. The MLE is being saved to give someone a long-term minimum contract. Two early candidates are Marcus Denmon and JaMychal Green.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
JaMychal GreenAn athlete? :wow

xmas1997
07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
JaMychal Green??????????????
Can't find any info on him.

tuncaboylu
07-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Great news.

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
JaMychal Green??????????????
Can't find any info on him.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/JaMychal-Green-5124/

Vic Petro
07-10-2012, 03:21 PM
You can pretty much all but guarantee Manu will get a 2 year deal around 15-18 million next year IMO. I think that it makes the most sense for his new contract to match Duncan's in terms of when they expire.

According to this he says he wants to play until he's 37 which would be the 2013/2014 season. He also says he has 2 years left on his contract...I thought he had this upcoming year and that's it?

http://www.eldeber.com.bo/emanuel-ginobili-a-londres-vamos-por-el-oro/120708220318

SenorSpur
07-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Has Manu talked openly about returning after next season?

Hoops Czar
07-10-2012, 03:33 PM
No it couldn't.

That's it, No it couldn't? Surely, a man of your integrity and inteligence has a better explanation than that. You didn't address the De Cola signing. Parker, Mills, Gino, Neal.... Exactly how many guards does one team need?

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
That's it, No it couldn't?

That's it. The part of your post that I bolded is impossible under the CBA.

bigfan
07-10-2012, 03:37 PM

adios joseph....

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2012, 03:39 PM

ChumpDumper
07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
That money combined with a amnesty or trade could free up enough cash to lure someone to sign.To be fair, his name isn't Collective Bargaining Agreement Czar.

Hoops Czar
07-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Thank you. I guess I'll have to brush up on the CBA rules so I don't look like a horses ass. I stand by what I said about De Cola being a pointless signing though.

FuzzyLumpkins
adios joseph....

He seemed to make progress in Austin last year. If he stinks up the Summer league then sure but the benefit of the dleague is you don't have to give up on guys so early.

Mr.Bottomtooth

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Thank you. I guess I'll have to brush up on the CBA rules so I don't look like a horses ass. I stand by what I said about De Cola being a pointless signing though.

Obviously they believe De Colo has potential to be a good player and believe another one of their guards (most likely Neal and Joseph) are easily expendable and wouldn't be missed all that much. Why wouldn't that make sense to you?

silverblackfan
07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Its great news and I will be loving seeing Timmy playing for 3 more years. Nice to hear that De Colo and Mills are signed too. At the very least, we have the same team that made it to the WCF and won 20 games in a row. Not too shabby.

Hoops Czar
07-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Obviously they believe De Colo has potential to be a good player and believe another one of their guards (most likely Neal and Joseph) are easily expendable and wouldn't be missed all that much. Why wouldn't that make sense to you?

They have 4 guards ( not including Joseph) as it is, 3 of which can play pg, Neal being the odd man out. I don't see the point in rushing a player with "potential" to the NBA so he can sit on the end of the bench for the spurs when he can be gaining experience overseas. I still think Neal is a valueable contributer on the offensive end and no current guard on the roster can knock down clutch shots with consistency and under pressure from long range more than Neal. If possible, I'd like to keep him through the season.

siraulo23
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
cool

now we're just waiting for that physical center :lol

Brazil
07-10-2012, 04:36 PM

Mel with the goods per the course per the usual :lol

TD 21
07-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Great news. :tu

Even if Spurs won't likely win a title with Duncan, it's really nice to be able to see him at least a couple of years. I'm waiting to see details of his deal but at the end it doesn't really matter. Duncan is staying, that's cool.

Mills and De Colo signed is too a good news because both should be cheap. Saying Spurs have a true logjam of guards. There will likely have a trade.

Precisely.

Here's a three way trade I concocted: Blair to the Hornets (who only have three rotation bigs) for next year's 2nd, then Neal with the 2nd to the Bucks for Sanders (with Udoh and Henson, he's redundant and has no chance at cracking their big rotation; plus they were interested in Hinrich, so they'd obviously like another guard).

That clears out the logjam at guard and gives the Spurs the type of athletic, shot blocking big -- who can play both big positions -- that they need.

As for Duncan's contract, despite what some idiots may say, this is a really good deal. I wouldn't have thought he'd sign for 3 years initially, but it's quickly become all the rage now with the over 35's in the league, so at this point I'm not that surprised by it. Championship or no championship, it's nice to know he'll be around for another three years.

'Tres, I was thinking the same thing with Ginobili, only for $20-22M.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2012, 04:46 PM

isnt manu currently on 10m a season? no way i resign him to 20/2...fck that shit, he either has to come back for half the price then we can start talking....

TD 21
07-10-2012, 04:55 PM
isnt manu currently on 10m a season? no way i resign him to 20/2...fck that shit, he either has to come back for half the price then we can start talking....

He's scheduled to make $14, 107, 092 next season. There's no way they'd even have the audacity to offer him $5M and no way he'd except either. Despite his fragility and limited minutes played, he's no worse than the fourth best shooting guard in the league. He'll probably go from the highest paid (annually) of the big three to the lowest paid, once again, but he's still going to get something close to the other two. At this point, in terms of on court value, there's not much separation between any of them. So if the other two are at $12.5M and $12M respectively, then he's got to be in that ball park.

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Manu will be the highest paid Spur this season at 14.1M

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Lifelong Spur :tu

rjv
07-10-2012, 05:11 PM
if we try to get another big i'd imagine we would have to trade blair, joseph and someone else. can't see getting too much in return there.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Blair needs to go for his sake. Bonner needs to go for the team's sake. But the Spurs don't do drastic moves unless it's a complete disaster, which it isn't yet.

They're both good team guys who came from a "winning culture" of the Spurs. It's possible they could be traded for a malcontent-knucklehead-big man project on lottery team, but obviously that comes with its own risks...assuming there's even any interest.

That dude with the chicken neck on the Twolves would fit that player profile, and I could see Adelman wanting quality role players who are coachable to help the team move forward, but does anyone see Pop wanting to deal with another Jackie Butler type?

If they can find an undrafted project they like, then I could see the team be willing to dump Blair or Bonner for whatever they can...but then that's still a longshot of finding a new project and then finding trade partners, which most likely were already attempted and failed during the days leading up to the draft.

For this season it looks like another Bonner shit sandwich in this regard.

Libri
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Manu will be the highest paid Spur this season at 14.1M

Do you see him resigning for a couple of seasons and staying until Tim retires?

sehui
07-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Precisely.

Here's a three way trade I concocted: Blair to the Hornets (who only have three rotation bigs) for next year's 2nd, then Neal with the 2nd to the Bucks for Sanders (with Udoh and Henson, he's redundant and has no chance at cracking their big rotation; plus they were interested in Hinrich, so they'd obviously like another guard).

That clears out the logjam at guard and gives the Spurs the type of athletic, shot blocking big -- who can play both big positions -- that they need.

As for Duncan's contract, despite what some idiots may say, this is a really good deal. I wouldn't have thought he'd sign for 3 years initially, but it's quickly become all the rage now with the over 35's in the league, so at this point I'm not that surprised by it. Championship or no championship, it's nice to know he'll be around for another three years.

Blair just for a 2nd rounder? Sounds like a bad deal on our end..why didn't we just do this this year's draft then?

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 05:25 PM

Will depend on how this season goes. If he stays healthy and can still compete at a high level, then sure.

J_Paco
07-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Great to have Timmy back in the fold!!!!

Now, they need to trade some dead weight (Bonner & Blair) and bring in a couple of athletic 4/5's to backup Splitter, Duncan and Diaw. I'd like them to see take a chance on Henry Sims, while he'd spend most of the season developing in Austin.

What are the chances the Spurs can bring in Sims and Green? Is it a matter of roster space or can they feasibly make such a move???

temujin
07-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Blair just for a 2nd rounder? Sounds like a bad deal on our end..why didn't we just do this this year's draft then?

If the second rounder is Cleveland's rights to Milan Macvan, I'd do immediately.
A Bonner, with balls and rebounding.

TD 21
07-10-2012, 05:36 PM

A high 2nd rounder (probably within' the first five picks) is probably the best they can do at this point. If they could have done better, I'd imagine they would have at the draft. Who knows, maybe they were offered a high 2nd at the draft and turned it down, but now realize they can't do better, so they relent. Things change.

I'd like to think his value is slightly higher than that too, but there's no indication that it is. So they need to take what they can get for him and Neal and move on. This trade helps accomplish that and addresses a need.

Vic Petro
07-10-2012, 05:42 PM

A high 2 next year doesn't necessarily equal a high 2 from this past draft. 2012 was considered a very deep draft and teams may have been more reluctant to part with 2nd rounders given the talent that remained on the board throughout the round. Next year's draft is much more of an unknown, so teams may be more willing to part with their picks.

spursnatic
07-10-2012, 05:44 PM
So with Tim D taking a significant pay cut and with all of our other additions...How much do we have left to spend on other worthy Free Agents?...I hope we can get someone Good...And finally stop giving a Fuck about hurting Bonners feelings?...

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
A high 2 next year doesn't necessarily equal a high 2 from this past draft. 2012 was considered a very deep draft and teams may have been more reluctant to part with 2nd rounders given the talent that remained on the board throughout the round. Next year's draft is much more of an unknown, so teams may be more willing to part with their picks.

Yeah, guessing you're not getting Quincy Miller in the second in next year's draft.

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
So with Tim D taking a significant pay cut and with all of our other additions...How much do we have left to spend on other worthy Free Agents?...I hope we can get someone Good...And finally stop giving a Fuck about hurting Bonners feelings?...

Minimum contracts from here on out.

objective
07-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Minimum contracts from here on out.

hmmmm.

Is there a list out there of likely candidates for mid-season buyouts?

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 06:05 PM
hmmmm.

Is there a list out there of likely candidates for mid-season buyouts?

Identify teams that will have given up all hope of making the playoffs by mid-February . Then go down the rosters and find past their prime vets on expiring contracts.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/index.jsp

So, I'd start the guessing for bigs with Diop.

Knoxxx
07-10-2012, 06:06 PM

I think Manu and Jax reup for about $5 million per year and two years, after their big contracts expire this year.

DesignatedT
07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Jack's contract should be pretty valuable come trade deadline season depending on how the Spurs feel he's playing and how the teams doing.

ploto
07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
I would not be surprised if the Spurs look for a team under the cap and try to trade them Blair and cash for a second round pick just to shed his salary off their cap space.

BackHome
07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=TD 21;6018324]Precisely.

I would wet my pants if we were able to do this trade and this trade actually makes sense for both teams. Hell we could even throw in Boner to make them feel good.

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I would not be surprised if the Spurs look for a team under the cap and try to trade them Blair and cash for a second round pick just to shed his salary off their cap space.

Or they could just cut him and pay nothing.

pad300
07-10-2012, 06:22 PM
If the second rounder is Cleveland's rights to Milan Macvan, I'd do immediately.
A Bonner, with balls and rebounding.
Milan Macvan
The Euro version of Kevin Love. I don't know that he's more than 60% of, but he'd still be a nice get. The question is, would he come over? And how much would it cost? If he'd get in shape and lose 20 lbs, he'd be such a better player... Anybody who thinks Blair is fat, needs to look at this guy. Still, he can play some damn good ball.

NickiRasgo
07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Awesome news in two days. :toast

Ditty
07-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I can see Manu resigning for 2 years $12-$14 million would be perfect for next summer, it could give the Spurs alot of salary cap flexibility, and from what I've calculated enough for a max contract, for next year or the following summer.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2012, 08:33 PM

God I hope not.

rascal
07-10-2012, 09:09 PM

Agree. Expect the spurs to come back with the same team with a minor change or two that will be deep end of bench role players and this place will explode with excitement. It happens every year.

The Spurs haven't reached the finals with the same core in 5 years and they keep bringing back the same team. Just too conservative to get back a championship formula.

While the Lakers get Nash and are in the mix for Howard.

rascal
07-10-2012, 09:14 PM
God I hope not.

When Manu hits the wall of age it is going to be ugly.

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Agree. Expect the spurs to come back with the same team with a minor change or two that will be deep end of bench role players and this place will explode with excitement. It happens every year.

The Spurs haven't reached the finals with the same core in 5 years and they keep bringing back the same team. Just too conservative to get back a championship formula.

While the Lakers get Nash and are in the mix for Howard.

So what allstar big in his 20s are the Spurs going to offer Orlando for Howard?

Spur|n|Austin
07-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Nice!

rascal
07-10-2012, 09:24 PM
So what allstar big in his 20s are the Spurs going to offer Orlando for Howard?

The lakers always seem to manage to retool on the fly with stars in their prime. The Spurs have to get lucky with ping pong balls. No ping pong ball luck no titles in san antonio. Lakers front office > Spurs front office.

The lakers front office is more aggressive in making things happen while the Spurs trot out the same team year after year with small changes.

5 years and counting with no trips to the finals for the spurs with the same core.

rascal
07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Hope I'm wrong, but this will be his last season as a Spur. Of course, I don't know Manu personally and I'm not a clairvoyant, but since the last two years he had been declaring that he is really banged up and it would be nice for him to retire playing at 36, in the best basketball league(NBA). And if you think about it, it kind of makes sense. He had achieved almost everything a basketball player can achieve, there's nothing else left for him to win. Plus he has family now and he would want to spend more time with his kids.
I'm just basically guessing, but something tells me this is going to be his last season as a Spur. Hope I'm wrong

I am guessing he will come back with Duncan coming back. He will ride out with Duncan.

spurraider21
07-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Does anybody know if tim's contract is paid evenly or if it is front/back loaded

Mel_13
07-10-2012, 09:29 PM
The lakers always seem to manage to retool on the fly with stars in their prime.

2 titles in the last 10 seasons.

benefactor
07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
The lakers always seem to manage to retool on the fly with stars in their prime. The Spurs have to get lucky with ping pong balls. No ping pong ball luck no titles in san antonio. Lakers front office > Spurs front office.

The lakers front office is more aggressive in making things happen while the Spurs trot out the same team year after year with small changes.

5 years and counting with no trips to the finals for the spurs with the same core.
You should go cheer for them. By all means...please...go.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Tim for $12mil (as we've known all along), 2 years with 3rd year player option. Excellent.

Diaw $9.2mil, 2nd year player option. Strange deal to take at his age.

Green for $11.3mil over 3 years. Even better than expected. He is a steal at $3.8mil just as he is blossoming.

Mills as the backup PG. Fantastic! I think he'll be a key for the team and by mid-season people will be very surprised at how important he is as a spark off the bench.

Great start to the FA season! :toast

PS Given that there's all this talk of bringing DeColo over, I guess Neal is pretty much gone?

benefactor
07-10-2012, 09:37 PM
2 titles in the last 10 seasons.
During that time they had a stretch that included consecutive first round exits and missing the playoffs all together.

Great job retooling on the fly.

racm
07-10-2012, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't call having Kwame Brown as your starting center retooling on the fly either.

When you go from "All-Defensive and retired jersey" Bruce Bowen to "young two-way player" Kawhi Leonard as your starting SF in a span of 2.5 years, that's not bad.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-10-2012, 10:33 PM
No-one could stop the infectious movement offence we played last year (even in the WCFs we were mostly scoring freely), and returning with the same cast and a full pre-season can only make this team stronger. The D needs improvement, the bench needs to hold steady under pressure (as they did all year until the 2nd round of the playoffs - they were poor against both the Clips and OKC), and the vets need to stay healthy, but we're still in with a decent shot. Who'd a' thunk it after that flameout, and Tim's worst season, in 2010-11?

There's still hope that, if the cards fall the right way, Timmy could get his 5th ring. And either way I'm pretty sure the journey will be interesting. ;)

Big P
07-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Tim for $12mil (as we've known all along), 2 years with 3rd year player option. Excellent.

Diaw $9.2mil, 2nd year player option. Strange deal to take at his age.

Green for $11.3mil over 3 years. Even better than expected. He is a steal at $3.8mil just as he is blossoming.

Mills as the backup PG. Fantastic! I think he'll be a key for the team and by mid-season people will be very surprised at how important he is as a spark off the bench.

Great start to the FA season! :toast

PS Given that there's all this talk of bringing DeColo over, I guess Neal is pretty much gone?

He signed a 2 year $2.8 mil deal with the Spurs today! :toast

TMTTRIO
07-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Hope I'm wrong, but this will be his last season as a Spur. Of course, I don't know Manu personally and I'm not a clairvoyant, but since the last two years he had been declaring that he is really banged up and it would be nice for him to retire playing at 36, in the best basketball league(NBA). And if you think about it, it kind of makes sense. He had achieved almost everything a basketball player can achieve, there's nothing else left for him to win. Plus he has family now and he would want to spend more time with his kids.
I'm just basically guessing, but something tells me this is going to be his last season as a Spur. Hope I'm wrong
Agree. I think it'll come down to how this season turns out

Wild Cobra Kai
07-10-2012, 11:31 PM
When Manu hits the wall of age it is going to be ugly.
It already is.

FkLA
07-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Manu wouldnt detoriate much from where hes at right now tbh. His strongest weapon right now is probably his ability to run the pick n roll and his ability to see the court...that doesnt go away with age tbh.

ElNono
07-11-2012, 12:50 AM
:lol the comparisons with the Lakers FO are pretty funny... the Lakers have no problem dipping in luxury tax territory because they make a ton more money being on a major market. TV contracts, merchandising, etc. Free agents are also much more likely to go to LA simply because endorsements there are simply way more lucrative. Big markets will always be more enticing, regardless of whatever CBA constrains are there.

The Spurs are on a completely different boat. They're on a small market, due to their success, they don't have high picks to start a full blown rebuild process (like the zombie sonics had to do). They're also trying to milk the last few decent years of their franchise stars while they can. The Spurs will eventually have to go through a rebuilding process, and at that point nobody knows how long it will take to land another franchise star. Duncan, Lebron James or Durant don't grow on trees.

tomtom
07-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Great signings. I'm interested in seeing how Nando and Mills pans out.

slick'81
07-11-2012, 02:01 AM
spurs did the best they could and brought everybody back intow minus anderson of course but i guess thats where dcolo comes in

Dingle Barry
07-11-2012, 04:52 AM
I certainly hope Neal isn't abandoned in favor of unproven NDC. If NDC proves to be an adequate defender in addition to creating offense, then by all means.

K-State Spur
07-11-2012, 07:25 AM

No Jerry West = no Laker Titles since the 80s.

And what stars does LA have in their prime at the moment? It's a stretch to call Bynum a "star" at this point. If Andrew Bynum is your best player, you're a lottery team in the West.

AFBlue
07-11-2012, 07:36 AM
I can see Manu resigning for 2 years $12-$14 million would be perfect for next summer, it could give the Spurs alot of salary cap flexibility, and from what I've calculated enough for a max contract, for next year or the following summer.

This makes some sense, based on what Ray Allen was offered by the home club this offseason. Of course, that will depend on Manu's performance this upcoming season and his willingness to continue playing.

TDMVPDPOY
07-11-2012, 10:21 AM
patty mills earning himself a million dollar contract just to fold and wave towels....so why is he gettin paid a million bucks while the towel boy is gettin paid minimum wage or volunteering, when its the same job description???

dunkman
07-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Even "do it" Mitch can do the trick, when FA's want to play for the Lakers. Malone signed for the vet min, when the Spurs offered something in the 10M range. The Spurs had to draft their best players. The Lakers stole Shaq, Kobe and Gasol from other teams. The Lakers have no problem paying lux tax, paying 2x for their coach.

Mitch also has like 50 scouts, and their coaching stuff is generally good developing talent. But their FO isn't better than Spurs, its just a different situation.

keywester
07-11-2012, 10:58 AM
patty mills earning himself a million dollar contract just to fold and wave towels....so why is he gettin paid a million bucks while the towel boy is gettin paid minimum wage or volunteering, when its the same job description???

One of the dumbest posts I've seen. Low IQ?

Big Empty
07-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Big Empty
07-11-2012, 11:35 AM
This makes some sense, based on what Ray Allen was offered by the home club this offseason. Of course, that will depend on Manu's performance this upcoming season and his willingness to continue playing.

This is what i was excited about. We have another good run we are gonna have cap space to bring in another player!

spurraider21
07-11-2012, 11:37 AM
enough with comparisons to the lakers. "they are more aggressive in getting big time free agents." its not a matter of aggressiveness. being in a market as big as LA will drawa stars. the knicks suck but they land big names too. does that mean teh knicks front office is better than ours? why did the big 3 go to miami instead of cleveland or toronto? cmon now

Mel_13
07-11-2012, 11:48 AM
enough with comparisons to the lakers. "they are more aggressive in getting big time free agents." its not a matter of aggressiveness. being in a market as big as LA will drawa stars. the knicks suck but they land big names too. does that mean teh knicks front office is better than ours? why did the big 3 go to miami instead of cleveland or toronto? cmon now

Lakers payroll this season will be over 110 million. The Spurs will be around 70-75 million. 40 million dollars helps.

Solid D
07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
lakers payroll this season will be over 110 million. The spurs will be around 70-75 million. 40 million dollars helps.

$40M = $80M, at least for 2012-13.

Solid D
07-11-2012, 01:11 PM
...and oh, by the way. If the Lakers were to go $40M over the lux tax line in 2013-14, according to the new CBA rules, the Lakers would have to pay $175M in lux tax. That's right, $175M.

That one year difference in the rules based on "incremental repeaters" is +$135M.

Duncan2177
07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
...and oh, by the way. If the Lakers were to go $40M over the lux tax line in 2013-14, according to the new CBA rules, the Lakers would have to pay $175M in lux tax. That's right, $175M.

That one year difference in the rules based on "incremental repeaters" is +$135M.

DAMN:wow

Solid D
07-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Yep. If the Lux Tax line were to remain at roughly $70M in 2013-14, then a $110M payroll plus $175M in tax = $285M.

rascal
07-11-2012, 01:40 PM

The lakers have been run better than the Knicks over the years, proves that it is not only about the market size.

ace3g
07-11-2012, 01:46 PM
official press release from Spurs.com

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/120711_spurs_sign_tim_duncan

TDMVPDPOY
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM

hopefully spurs stay under the cap, so they get a share of that lux tax revenue hahahaha

ace3g
07-11-2012, 04:47 PM
RC on Duncan/Green, etc signing
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/120711_buford

K-State Spur
07-11-2012, 04:58 PM
The lakers have been run better than the Knicks over the years, proves that it is not only about the market size.

the knicks have been run horrifically bad, so it's pointless to throw them into any comparison.

gambit1990
07-11-2012, 07:19 PM
RC on Duncan/Green, etc signing
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/120711_buford

"as far as our big rotation... between tim, tiago, dejuan, matt, and hopefully bringing boris back, i'm not sure where our needs are there."

spursince#99
07-11-2012, 07:51 PM
"as far as our big rotation... between tim, tiago, dejuan, matt, and hopefully bringing boris back, i'm not sure where our needs are there."

HOLY SHIT!!!! :wow:wow:lmao:(:depressed

Seventyniner
07-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Wow. Sincerely hoping it's CIA RC speaking, but geez, either RC is trolling Spurs fans hard, or they actually think that last year's lineup was good enough.

Mel_13
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
What do you guys expect him to say? Improving the big situation will have to be accomplished by a minimum salary signing or by trading players from the bottom half of the roster.

He's not going to say anything that hurts the potential value of those players or that negatively affects his potential bargaining position. He also said he wants Blair to be part of the Spurs going forward and we had credible reports that Blair was shopped before the draft.