PDA

View Full Version : Using Steroids and Illegal Substances are Illegal

silverblk mystix
07-11-2012, 12:03 AM
...for Athletes.

Should Autotune be illegal for Artists/Singers?

Drugs are said to give athletes an unfair advantage.
Does this hold true for Singers/Artists/Musicians?

What do you guys think?

z0sa
07-11-2012, 12:07 AM
you meant is.

silverblk mystix
07-11-2012, 12:10 AM
you meant is.

It probably reads a little fucked up...but you get the meaning...

I hope?

z0sa
07-11-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm not so sure these two are analogous. Anti-doping's widespread support has everything to do with ethics and the integrity of sports, IMHO, tbh.

On the other hand, what does using auto tune have to do with ethics? Anyone can use auto tune and it's generally not frowned upon unless it's that loud overdriven shit. I've never heard of any artist calling it unethical even then, either.

Besides, who would tell the artists they can't use it anymore ... I think very few people care about it at all, and as long as it sells no producer's gonna forgo the option of improving a singer's voice.

silverblk mystix
07-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Good points.

I guess what I am thinking is this;

If drugs give athletes an unfair advantage it would stand to reason that vocalists are getting an unfair advantage because Autotune "fixes" their lack of talent or gives them an unfair advantage because it is not really "authentic" but has been altered instead.

Make sense?

Jacob1983
07-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Autotune is what the kids like these days.

silverblk mystix
07-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Autotune is what the kids like these days.

I guess, but to be quite honest, I was talking to an engineer friend of mine and he pretty much said that everyone is using it.

Sometimes the musicians leave for the day and the engineers review the tapes/recordings and if there is even a tiny little flub or a sharp or a flat note...they go in and fix it and many times the bands/singers never even complain and/or notice it.

He said that even the established old classic rockers and/or reputable and famous singers rely on it too.

The Gemini Method
07-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Even with the popularity of autotune, you don't necessarily have talent-laden people singing without it's aid. For instance, Call me, Maybe? is not at all influenced by auto-tune and is indicative of how sad so-called pop is. I think if the lack of popularity is strong, an artist who has heavily relied onthe autotune becomes irrelevant when the songs become too reliant on the aid of the instrument. Like how fast T-Pain has been delegated to the like oh, he has another song and oh, it's him on auto-tune? Great. Next? It also has to do with what the public spends their money on. Music will always have those willing to pay for songs they find catchy whether it is utilizing whatever niche item that is popular.

Doping--on the other hand, does provide a higher sense of cheating in the sports world. It also has life-long ramifications that can lead to suicides and oversdosing on other drugs and testicular cancer. I would say the dire nature of one overshadows the other and it's destructive nature will always be a cause for alarm.

I, though, despise the auto-tune.

baseline bum
07-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Since autotune doesn't fuck the artist's heart up, I'm going to say it doesn't belong in the same category tbh.

silverblk mystix
07-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Good points.

I guess some things like breast implants for example, are looked at differently by people and depending on who you ask it could be that implants improve a woman's aesthetic profile...to the other side where some people think they don't "feel" quite as nice as natural breasts.

Autotune, I guess could be used creatively or it could be used as a crutch.

I am not a fan of autotune but I guess it isn't the worst thing in the world.

Avante
07-11-2012, 04:03 AM
People bet on sporting events and a won/loss record is very important. An illegal advantage there is a big deal.

Music, whatever it takes to sound good.

mingus
07-11-2012, 05:12 AM
I have never heard of an autotunes related death or rage.

Slomo
07-11-2012, 07:59 AM
If there was a singing/voice competition and some artists were using it and others not, then the analogy works and the "users" should be excluded exactly like steroid users.

But I can't imagine such a scenario in real life. What we do see in real life is someone making a ton of $$$ while using Autotune. I don't think it is unethical as long as he doesn't claim he is not using it. Making it illegal is unnecessary, because it doesn't do any harm (except maybe produce some really crappy pop music).

To follow up on your initial question, I would propose that records made using Autotune be marked as such (like on cigarettes and/or records with adult lyrics) and let the consumers decide whether or not they want to spend money on a not completely "genuine" product - now that would be a popular idea if brought to the record industry :p:

TDMVPDPOY
07-11-2012, 10:03 AM
u knwo with athletes, do they have to return prize money? what about sponsorship deals?

silverblk mystix
07-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Good points and good questions from the previous two posts;

I like the warning label idea Slomo- I can see a lot of artists trying to downplay that label warning...:lol

I don't know if athletes ever return money...but I know they get banned..anyone know if the money is ever returned or asked to be returned?

SA210
07-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Should Autotune be illegal for Artists/Singers?

Yes

silverblk mystix
07-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Yes

:toast