PDA

View Full Version : Wolves to amnesty Darko for Batum.

SpursDynasty85
07-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Link below:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8159297/minnesota-timberwolves-amnesty-darko-milicic-nicolas-batum

I think going after Darko is a no brainer, and will really solidify our line up, *cough, once we amnesty Bonner.

spursfaninla
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
You do realize we only have the vet min to offer, right? Amnesty Bonner or not. If you are over the cap that is the situation, and if we amnesty bonner, we are still over the cap.

On a side note, I kind of wish someone would sticky a "bonner and the amnesty rule" post so we don't keep hearing this wish that can never come true.

Have a nice day.

SpursDynasty85
07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
hmm, I'm guessing you don't understand the amnesty rules, or I might be missing something, but it does not matter how much he signs for the next 2 years because the difference between his amnestied contract and what he is going to make will be footed by the Wolves. He was on a fat contract with the Wolves and I doubt anyone will be willing to overpay that one.

spursnatic
07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
We don't need Darko...Why would be wishing we get him for he is Trash...Pass

Cant_Be_Faded
07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not claiming to know the rules either but I would like him if we can somehow get him on the cheap.

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
hmm, I'm guessing you don't understand the amnesty rules, or I might be missing something, but it does not matter how much he signs for the next 2 years because the difference between his amnestied contract and what he is going to make will be footed by the Wolves. He was on a fat contract with the Wolves and I doubt anyone will be willing to overpay that one.

Ironic.

Only teams under the cap can bid for Darko. The Spurs are over the cap.

If no teams bid on Darko, he will become a free agent and the Spurs can only offer the minimum salary.

jmanu20
07-12-2012, 10:32 AM
If he can be had at a reasonable price, he'd be worth the risk. Despite his "bust" label he always seemed to guard Duncan well. He also has the offensive ability, anyone remember that game where he went for 20+/10+ against the Spurs?

SenorSpur
07-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Long shot, but if he clears and becomes a free agent, why not?

SenorSpur
07-12-2012, 10:33 AM
If he can be had at a reasonable price, he'd be worth the risk. Despite his "bust" label he always seemed to guard Duncan well. He also has the offensive ability, anyone remember that game where he went for 20+/10+ against the Spurs?

Totally remember that. IRRC, it was a road game in Minnesota. Darko actually had his way with Duncan on both ends of the court. It was pretty remarkable to see.

benefactor
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Why does everyone want a center? Unless they trade Splitter getting a center is pretty pointless. The Spurs need a PF that can shoot and is athletic enough to defend the pick and roll well.

ElNono
07-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Why does everyone want a center? Unless they trade Splitter getting a center is pretty pointless. The Spurs need a PF that can shoot and is athletic enough to defend the pick and roll well.

Arguably, you could play Splitter at PF... Plus I rather play with two centers off the bench than one center and a "stretch 4"...

SenorSpur
07-12-2012, 10:52 AM

Probably because the Spurs themselves recently made this declaration during the height of the Lorbek hoopla. Recall that Lorbek himself claimed that his talks with the Spurs were on hold, pending their ability to find a center. Of course, this was before he signed the big money deal with Barcelona.

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Probably because the Spurs themselves recently made this declaration during the height of the Lorbek hoopla.

No they didn't. That was just some words that came out of the Lorbek camp.

tuncaboylu
07-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Ironic.

Only teams under the cap can bid for Darko. The Spurs are over the cap.

If no teams bid on Darko, he will become a free agent and the Spurs can only offer the minimum salary.

What's the deadline of that bidding?

benefactor
07-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Arguably, you could play Splitter at PF... Plus I rather play with two centers off the bench than one center and a "stretch 4"...
I don't see how it would help the Spurs defensively or offensively...unless that center has something that resembles a jumper and won't get burned on the perimeter by a faster PF. Just look at the Lakers. Playing two slow-footed bigs gets them destroyed on the pick and roll. I also don't think the player has to be 3pt shooter, but they at least need to have a 18-20 footer in their arsenal to make teams respect them.

CGD
07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Will this guy clear waivers?

On a related note, after all the proposed signings go down who are the teams that still have sizable cap space?

benefactor
07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Probably because the Spurs themselves recently made this declaration during the height of the Lorbek hoopla. Recall that Lorbek himself claimed that his talks with the Spurs were on hold, pending their ability to find a center. Of course, this was before he signed the big money deal with Barcelona.
Well...there is nothing to substantiate that claim except what Lorbek told some news outlet. Again, there are no minutes for another center unless they are trading Splitter.

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
What's the deadline of that bidding?

I'm not sure, but within a few days after the amnesty paperwork gets submitted to the league.

DesignatedT
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Portland is just going to match the offer sheet wont they?

CGD
07-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Portland is just going to match the offer sheet wont they?

I'd bet on it. Plus they just lost out on Hibbert, so they're not facing possibly maxing 2 players.

SenorSpur
07-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Well...there is nothing to substantiate that claim except what Lorbek told some news outlet. Again, there are no minutes for another center unless they are trading Splitter.

True and true.

I would agree that the Spurs desparately need athletic PF, who can defend. However, it just doesn't appear that the Spurs view this position as much of a priority - given Pop's love affair with the unathletic, playoff-choking, stretch-4.

benefactor
07-12-2012, 11:14 AM
True and true.

I would agree that the Spurs desparately need athletic PF, who can defend. However, it just doesn't appear that the Spurs view this position as much of a priority - given Pop's love affair with the unathletic, playoff-choking, stretch-4.
Indeed.

Now I'm not against the Spurs adding another center for depth...but someone like a Turiaf could fill that role. Duncan will need all the rest he can get and another big to fill in the gaps would be ideal.

SenorSpur
07-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Indeed.

Now I'm not against the Spurs adding another center for depth...but someone like a Turiaf could fill that role. Duncan will need all the rest he can get and another big to fill in the gaps would be ideal.

That is the hypocrisy to all this. Duncan's minutes have dwindled the past four years or so - and rightfully so. Given that Pop is reducing the minutes of their best frontline player, it stands to reason that perhaps they would find it necessary to up the skill level of the remaining bigs to counter Duncan's reduced regular season per-minute production.

And yes, Turiaf would be a god-send. He's actually versatile enough that he could float between PF & C. And why not have another Frenchie on the squad?

Juventini
07-12-2012, 11:29 AM

I totally remember that but I vaguely remember that he mostly got his point by just banging his body to anyone who was guarding him. Nobody on the Spurs can guard him, not sure how he did with a more physical big man from other teams though.