PDA

View Full Version : Oden Wants To Play This Season

Duncan2177
07-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Injury-riddled Greg Oden could be returning to the NBA this season.

That’s the word from Oden’s agent, Mike Conley, who got a call earlier this week from Oden. He said his client has changed his tune from wanting to take this season off.

“(Oden) called me, and he was kind of excited,’’ Conley said Thursday in a phone interview with FOX Sports Florida. “I think he’s motivated …. He wants to play. He had said he wanted to take this season off, but he’s backed off from that …. He’s open to playing this season. I think he will play this season.’’

Oden, the star-crossed center who was taken No. 1 in the 2007 NBA draft by Portland ahead of No. 2 Kevin Durant, hasn’t played in an NBA game since Dec. 5, 2009. Out of 394 possible games in his NBA career, he’s missed 312.

Oden has had five surgeries on both his knees since entering the NBA, including two surgeries last February, one being his third microfracture procedure. He was waived by the Trail Blazers last March, making him a free agent.

Oden was quoted in a Grantland article last May about his plan to take the entire 2012-13 season off. But Oden told Conley this week about the change in his thinking.

“He’s starting to work out,’’ Conley said of Oden, who was recently cleared for workouts, feeling better about his situation. “He’s excited. You can tell he’s getting antsy. At the end of the day, I want him to finish out his NBA career. He’s still pretty young (24).’’

Conley, who said the former Ohio State star is committed to regular workouts this summer in Columbus, Ohio, said there’s still no timetable as to what point next season he believes Oden will be able to play. He said seven NBA teams, which he declined to name, have been keeping in regular touch with him, but Conley doesn’t anticipate it will be until the fall before there are any serious negotiations.

“We want to get to the point where he’s more healthy and can show teams what he can do (in workouts),’’ Conley said. “There’s still no timetable, and that’s the beauty of him being on his own. He doesn’t have to give anybody a timetable.''

Conley said he has not heard from the Miami Heat at all since Oden was waived. But he said Oden has interest in the Heat if they ever were to be interested.

“Obviously, if the Heat wanted him, who wouldn’t want to play for the Heat?’’ Conley said of the defending champions. “That goes without saying. They have roster spots and a need (at center). But it’s too early to say about where he might play.’’

Conley said Oden splits his time between his hometown of Indianapolis and Columbus. Conley said he’s now taking summer classes at Ohio State, which he led to the NCAA title game in his only season there of 2006-07.

Obviously, Oden has had plenty of down moments due to all his injuries. But Conley said Oden never has talked about the possibility of retiring.

For now, Conley said Oden is as excited as he’s been in a long time. He pointed out it was Oden who called him unsolicited to express a willingness to play this season.

“He’s going to sign somewhere,’’ Conley said. “He’s going to get healthy and be coming back.’’

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/07/12/12/Oft-injured-Oden-wants-to-play-this-seas/landing.html?blockID=759814&feedID=10140

No harm in a vet min contract. Ridiculously high reward

Knoxxx
07-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Yes I think this guy is interesting. Unfortunately every attractive possibility for vet min seems to want to join the Heat first and foremost.

Hoops Czar
07-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I brought this up in another thread, but RC's to rigid to take a chance. And by the looks of it, Conley's already planted the seed that he's interested in Miami. My guess is he'll be hearing from Riley in a couple days to talk contract. Other teams just pass the Spurs by in this regard. I wish RC and Pop would get their friggin heads out of the foreign leagues long enough to glance at free agents from this country. Some of them are actually pretty good.

Vic Petro
07-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Hope the Spurs are one of the teams that have been keeping tabs.

Vic Petro
07-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I brought this up in another thread, but RC's to rigid to take a chance. And by the looks of it, Conley's already planted the seed that he's interested in Miami. My guess is he'll be hearing from Riley in a couple days to talk contract. Othew teams just pass the Spurs by. I wish RC and Pop would get their friggin heads out of the foreign leagues long enough to glance at free agents from this country. Some of them are actually pretty good.

I would think he needs to be eased back into action. Miami might just run him into the ground. All things considered, if San Antonio is interested, they should be an attractive option to him. Low media attention, can play limited minutes as he re-adjusts, learn from Tim Duncan, winning situation, etc.

SsKSpurs21
07-12-2012, 02:48 PM
its quite intriguing, and i would assume Oden wants to go to a situation where he can start off as a backup C and to a coach that would know how to manage his minutes.

I dont understand why he would want to go to Heat where he will be expected to play large minutes at the C spot.

It would be great if the spurs can some how sell him to the idea of getting on the roster where he doesnt have to carry the load, all the while learning from Tim, and also have a coach who understands how to manage minutes.

its a low risk high reward scenario that the Spurs should definitely consider. if he gets injured then cut your losses and move on.

Edit: Vic Petro pretty much summed up everything i said. :toast

Obstructed_View
07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Conley might want him to go to Miami, but Oden loves the Spurs. If money's not an issue, he's worth the risk.

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 02:53 PM
“We want to get to the point where he’s more healthy and can show teams what he can do (in workouts),’’ Conley said. “There’s still no timetable, and that’s the beauty of him being on his own. He doesn’t have to give anybody a timetable.''

This guy hasn't played in almost three years and there's no timetable for when he may be able to play. Plus, has anyone ever come back from the combination of injuries and surgeries that he's had? Good luck to him, but he's only played 82 games in the five seasons since he was drafted.

Hoops Czar
07-12-2012, 02:55 PM
I would think he needs to be eased back into action. Miami might just run him into the ground. All things considered, if San Antonio is interested, they should be an attractive option to him. Low media attention, can play limited minutes as he re-adjusts, learn from Tim Duncan, winning situation, etc.

Exactly. He could just blend into the background. No pressure, no expectations, no worries. If it doesn't work out, you still have Splitter, Bonner4life, Diaw, and Duncan and the cost is minimal. If he does work out, you have a shotblocking big who could potentially help anchor the paint even if it's for only 15-20 minutes a game.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Spurs nearing the dreaded "hey, Pops Mensah Bonsu looks pretty good by comparison" zone.

Juggity
07-12-2012, 03:18 PM
For his own sake, Oden should be looking to join the Suns

timvp
07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
I'd sign him to a two-year minimum contract, no questions asked. His upside is just too high to turn that down. 99% chance he doesn't came anywhere near his potential but even that 1% shot is worth a minimum deal, IMO.

fubarcrew01
07-12-2012, 04:15 PM
I'd sign him to a two-year minimum contract, no questions asked. His upside is just too high to turn that down. 99% chance he doesn't came anywhere near his potential but even that 1% shot is worth a minimum deal, IMO.

Totally agree, with news a few months back that he underwent the same knee procedure as Kobe and A-Rod, I wouldn't hesitate to give him a shot.

Joel Anthony
07-12-2012, 04:23 PM

:lol Wrong

He wants Miami and Riley needs a new project to replace Curry.

Budkin
07-12-2012, 04:47 PM
RC... do it!

wildbill2u
07-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Well, he had a min. contract last year--although he never played a minute--and the Blazers (who know his condition best) still waived him. You can't teach height, but you can't overlook knees with five operations. Let's not get all starry-eyed just because he was a "can't miss" high draft pick. There have been others that hasn't panned out because of unfortunate injuries or bad habit.

Potential? His career averages are 9.4 pts, 7.3 rebounds and more TOs than Blks for the minutes he played in two seasons--so he wasn't exactly knocking on the door of the All-star game.Since he hasn't played since 2009-2010 do you think he might be a tad rusty on those creaky knees??? He has more potential for continued knee problems than becoming the player we might actually need in case of injury.

Where is James Gist when you need him? James White! Oberto?

timvp
07-12-2012, 05:00 PM
He has more potential for continued knee problems than becoming the player we might actually need in case of injury.

Obvious understatement, tbh. That's why I put the odds at 99/1.

But still, a minimum contract is a no-risk proposition.

Hoops Czar
07-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Well, he had a min. contract last year--although he never played a minute--and the Blazers (who know his condition best) still waived him. You can't teach height, but you can't overlook knees with five operations. Let's not get all starry-eyed just because he was a "can't miss" high draft pick. There have been others that hasn't panned out because of unfortunate injuries or bad habit.

Potential? His career averages are 9.4 pts, 7.3 rebounds and more TOs than Blks for the minutes he played in two seasons--so he wasn't exactly knocking on the door of the All-star game.Since he hasn't played since 2009-2010 do you think he might be a tad rusty on those creaky knees??? He has more potential for continued knee problems than becoming the player we might actually need in case of injury.

Where is James Gist when you need him? James White! Oberto?

Who's getting all starry-eyed? Signing a guy for league min. isn't exactly riverboat gambling. And it's certainly worth the risk to sign a player with potential and possibility as opposed to another friggin guard or a Eurotrash big man who doesn't quite measure up. And at 24, Oden still has a lot of upside. Personally, I don't give a rats ass about points, but if he can average half of what he did in 2009 and 2010 defensively , he'll be an asset because the Spurs have nothing going on in the paint other than Duncan.

Seventyniner
07-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Obvious understatement, tbh. That's why I put the odds at 99/1.

But still, a minimum contract is a no-risk proposition.

Sure, it's no risk when it's not your money.

Vic Petro
07-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Sure, it's no risk when it's not your money.

They are likely signing a big for the minimum anyway. The question is Oden vs Jamychal Green vs Alexis Ajinca vs Rony Turiaf vs Brendan Haywood (if he'd sign for the min) etc.

BatManu20
07-12-2012, 06:19 PM
He wants to play for someone not named the Spurs.

TE
07-12-2012, 06:39 PM
miami will pick him up

Vic Petro
07-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Just not sure why he'd want to be under another spotlight.

widowmaker
07-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Can the spurs invite him to summer league or training camp?

dbestpro
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
The guy needs to go to a team where aging veteran can show he how to play and take care of himself. The Miami night life will eat him alive. Boston, OKC or SA would be the best place for him to land if he is to ever have a meaningful career.

BatManu20
07-12-2012, 11:20 PM
The Miami night life will eat him alive.

Did you not see his most recent interview? The guy hates the night life club scene and literally never goes out. He loves staying home and playing video games with friends, watching movies, etc. He's a home body. And he's socially awkward, so he's basically a crab who never comes out of his shell.

MR-Clutch
07-13-2012, 12:01 AM
If you're the spurs you have to take a risk here. If he ends up healthy the rest of his career, you have a defensive anchor for championship team. The defense between Duncan oden green and Leonard would be insane! I love this kid kid coming out of college and feel like he's really been humbled by his injury experiences. If there's one team that could manage his minutes and situation it would be the spurs. It's not everyday that you have the opportunity to sign a center with this kind of talent for the minimum. If he stays injured, who cares we still have a great team!

lakerhaterade
07-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Did you not see his most recent interview? The guy hates the night life club scene and literally never goes out. He loves staying home and playing video games with friends, watching movies, etc. He's a home body. And he's socially awkward, so he's basically a crab who never comes out of his shell.

miami is not the place for him then...last I checked, an article was written about him and it contained all the struggles he went through during his downtime as a TrailBlazer.

depressing

txallstar
07-13-2012, 07:21 AM
dude has one leg longer than the other, that's why he's always gets hurt. doesn't matter how many knee surgeries he has or the latest and greatest knee operation.

dbestpro
07-13-2012, 09:10 AM
miami is not the place for him then...last I checked, an article was written about him and it contained all the struggles he went through during his downtime as a TrailBlazer.

depressing

This. A lot of his troubles revolved around too much partying in Portland and blaming it on his cousin. His excuse is because he couldn't relate to the population. Excuses like these tell me he needs to stay as far away from the party life as possible.