PDA

View Full Version : Know your rights

mavs>spurs
07-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Contrary to popular belief, we don't actually have to comply with illegal bullshit. This video is awesome.

fDCXzqgD99o

baseline bum
07-12-2012, 06:24 PM
That's awesome; I can't stand those fucking immigration checkpoints in West Texas and can't see how they're constitutional when I'm not crossing a national border.

baseline bum
07-12-2012, 06:27 PM
I love this comment to the video on youtube:

I'll one up this video. Just don't say shit. Only ask questions. "Am I being detained?" "Am I free to go?" It's legalese for "go fuck yourselves."

mavs>spurs
07-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Lmao so basically we gotta use our UTSA rhetorical devices against them, chumpdumper style :rollin

Borat Sagyidev
07-12-2012, 08:55 PM
These checkpoints brought to you by the American Taliban..er I mean Republican Party.

Honest truth if the guy didn't sound and look so suburban white he would have been on the floor with a beating.

TheProfessor
07-12-2012, 08:59 PM
That's awesome; I can't stand those fucking immigration checkpoints in West Texas and can't see how they're constitutional when I'm not crossing a national border.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Martinez-Fuerte

Borat Sagyidev
07-12-2012, 09:00 PM

"Border Patrol agents at checkpoints have legal authority that agents do not have when patrolling areas away from the border. The United States Supreme Court ruled that Border Patrol agents may stop a vehicle at fixed checkpoints for brief questioning of its occupants even if there is no reason to believe that the particular vehicle contains illegal aliens.

United_States_v._Martinez-FuerLuck_The_Fakers_te, 428 U.S. 543, 545 (1976)

mavs>spurs
07-12-2012, 09:16 PM
the problem was i dont think he was anywhere near the border

baseline bum
07-12-2012, 09:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Martinez-Fuerte

"Border Patrol agents at checkpoints have legal authority that agents do not have when patrolling areas away from the border. The United States Supreme Court ruled that Border Patrol agents may stop a vehicle at fixed checkpoints for brief questioning of its occupants even if there is no reason to believe that the particular vehicle contains illegal aliens.

So you have to consent to answering the question if there isn't probable cause like you have to consent to a police search without pc. I wonder what qualifies as probable cause if you don't give consent.

Blake
07-12-2012, 09:48 PM
No way to avoid those things if you coming up north from the Valley/South Padre.

baseline bum
07-12-2012, 10:10 PM

He was on I-8 in SoCal, which is at all times pretty close to the border.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Interstate_8_map.png/800px-Interstate_8_map.png

baseline bum
07-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Here's a good video about your rights when dealing with regular police:

s4nQ_mFJV4I

It's corny but informative. The star of it is a prominent Baltimore defense lawyer (he played himself defending Clay Davis on The Wire :lol).

Wild Cobra
07-13-2012, 03:49 AM
I remember there being checkpoints at state borders, but haven't seen on in decades. They used to ask coming into Oregon if we were bringing fruit from California, afraid if bring in certain types of fruit flies not native to Oregon, or something. At least that was the excuse. the only asked however if fruit was being brought in, they never asked someone to stop unless they had some fruit to be inspected.

This guy was awesome, standing up for his constitutional rights.

I would have asked the officer if he knew the fourth amendment to the constitution, and if he took an oath to defend the constitution or not.

Wild Cobra
07-13-2012, 03:52 AM

I think that constituted brief questioning. To have him pull over and then wait, could constitute unlawful detainment.

Wild Cobra
07-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Well, I8 runs near the border. However.... WTF do they think they are accomplishing once illegals make it across?

I think I know what it is. There are some people who are willing to sacrifice constitutional rights, then thank them for their job of fucking with them.

Wild Cobra
07-13-2012, 04:35 AM
Here's a good video about your rights when dealing with regular police:

s4nQ_mFJV4I

It's corny but informative. The star of it is a prominent Baltimore defense lawyer (he played himself defending Clay Davis on The Wire :lol).
I'm sorry, I couldn't get past the first rule. Are there really people stupid enough to be cocky with those who hold authority? I thought this rule number one is something everyone should know already.

Sense
07-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Contrary to popular belief, we don't actually have to comply with illegal bullshit. This video is awesome.

fDCXzqgD99o

It's funny that you posted this video.. if it wasn't for those checkpoints there would be a lot more illegal immigration, and you'd have a lot more to complain about.

You don't want to have to deal with it, but you want to bitch about not doing more on the borders. Now I know this might not be a border, but the fact is people still find a way to get through them, and when that happens they need something else to stop them from going any further.

scott
07-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Complains about "Illegal Immigration Problem", praises people who act like dicks to Border Patrol cops.

baseline bum
07-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Complains about "Illegal Immigration Problem", praises people who act like dicks to Border Patrol cops.

I don't think the guy in the video was being a dick; I know it's only a wikipedia link, but the one posted above makes it sound like the supreme court ruled the border patrol can ask but that you're not required to answer their questions.

Sense
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't think the guy in the video was being a dick; I know it's only a wikipedia link, but the one posted above makes it sound like the supreme court ruled the border patrol can ask but that you're not required to answer their questions.

That's not really his point, tbh.

InRareForm
07-13-2012, 01:45 PM
What are my rights at border patrol compared to CHP?

I go up north from SD to LA quite a bit, and 5% of the time they ask me to pull to the side.

InRareForm
07-13-2012, 01:45 PM
What are my rights at border patrol compared to CHP?

I go up north from SD to LA quite a bit, and 5% of the time they ask me to pull to the side.

Das Texan
07-13-2012, 01:55 PM
I find these things so fucking annoying.

If the Border Patrol would do their shit correctly at the fucking border, they wouldnt need to go through a second round of this shit.

Would be nice if they would set up a fucking system similar to what the TSA is doing at the airports that allow you to sail through these fucking annoyances, instead of going through all of this time consuming shit.

DisAsTerBot
07-13-2012, 02:42 PM
It's funny that you posted this video.. if it wasn't for those checkpoints there would be a lot more illegal immigration, and you'd have a lot more to complain about.

You don't want to have to deal with it, but you want to bitch about not doing more on the borders. Now I know this might not be a border, but the fact is people still find a way to get through them, and when that happens they need something else to stop them from going any further.

lol good point. Op is constantly bitching about illegal immigration.

Blake
07-13-2012, 03:36 PM
lol good point. Op is constantly bitching about illegal immigration.

First he has to compete for jobs with them, now he actually has to answer ”yes” when they stop him at a check point.

That's double fuckage right there, imo

Wild Cobra
07-13-2012, 03:44 PM

That's the same Nazi attitude that this guy was complaining about. Illegal immigration can be stopped at the border, before they cross, and trough law by making it impossible to get legal employment. Those who knowingly hire illegal workers need to be severely penalized or jailed. Those who forge documents, the same.

We do not need to sacrifice freedom for security, and should never agree to such authoritarianism.

mavs>spurs
07-13-2012, 04:29 PM
You guys taking pot shots and acting like idiots don't get it. This isn't about illegal immigration, it's about our rights as americans constantly being violated and our overall transition into a police state.

It's common knowledge that the only people harassed at these checkpoints are white americans and petty drug traffickers, while if you're with Zetas you get waved on through. It's to consolidate the drug trade and hand it over to the cartels loyal to us so we get a 50/50 cut. Like someone else said, he gets pulled over 5% of the time. That means that a terrorist would have a 95% chance of getting through without being searched, so this does nothing for national security. It's all about living in the nanny state and being harassed and surveilled everywhere you go. It's about tsa grabbing your dick and molesting your wife and children. I've made it well known what my stance is on illegal immigration, make it a felony charge to hire illegal immigrants and they will go away. These nazi checkpoints accomplish nothing except infringing upon the freedom of americans.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2012, 05:12 PM
It's common knowledge that the only people harassed at these checkpoints are white americans and petty drug traffickers, while if you're with Zetas you get waved on through.I'm calling Alex Jones bullshit on this.

TheProfessor
07-13-2012, 08:22 PM
So you have to consent to answering the question if there isn't probable cause like you have to consent to a police search without pc. I wonder what qualifies as probable cause if you don't give consent.
Depends on what you're talking about. If someone acts nervously or defensively, that could give an officer reasonable suspicion to detain them for further questioning. Officers can then develop PC through the line of questioning or if they notice something like the odor of a controlled substance. Or, as most border agents do, just walk your dog up to the car for a K-9 sniff, which isn't a search. If it alerts, instant PC.

mavs>spurs
07-13-2012, 08:27 PM
right they can sniff the car with dogs, but they can't force you to pull over and consent to a search. they're pretty limited in what they can do to gather probable cause. basically the only way they can force you to consent is if the dog smells drugs.

TheProfessor
07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
right they can sniff the car with dogs, but they can't force you to pull over and consent to a search. they're pretty limited in what they can do to gather probable cause. basically the only way they can force you to consent is if the dog smells drugs.
Haven't read Martinez-Fuerte, but from what I gather, they can develop PC to search independent of the checkpoint stop itself, and the bar is lower than what you usually need to search or arrest. I think the Court was thinking mostly of immigration or drug-related cases where intrusion on most motorists would be minimal.

I really don't see the big deal. The border is expansive and difficult to patrol, so it makes sense to have secondary checkpoints.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 09:00 PM
I go through one of those checkpoints on 281 every time I go from the Valley to San Antonio whenever I visit the wife's family in Texas... they rarely take over 30 secs to go through...

Blake
07-13-2012, 11:05 PM
I go through one of those checkpoints on 281 every time I go from the Valley to San Antonio whenever I visit the wife's family in Texas... they rarely take over 30 secs to go through...

when they ask ” everyone a US citizens” it's so tempting to say ” lo siento, no entiendo”.

Those dogs walking around the car are rather unsettling though, tbh.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 12:10 AM
when they ask ” everyone a US citizens” it's so tempting to say ” lo siento, no entiendo”.

Those dogs walking around the car are rather unsettling though, tbh.

Just also noticed the last time around that on the way back to the Valley they installed a shitload of cameras when you go through... they're probably tagging every car plate going south too...

Blake
07-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Just also noticed the last time around that on the way back to the Valley they installed a shitload of cameras when you go through... they're probably tagging every car plate going south too...

I think those south bound cameras have been there for at least 10 years. You notice them more at night when the flashes go off.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 12:39 AM
I think those south bound cameras have been there for at least 10 years. You notice them more at night when the flashes go off.

Really? I recall them having some, but the last time there were shitloads. Then again, I go through there once every 3 or 4 years...

Wild Cobra
07-14-2012, 04:46 AM
So are you OK with them?

I think it's a waste of time and money. They are only going to catch the stupid ones who don't know how to avoid them, and is it really necessary of slow down legal movement without actually searching for specific people?

That doesn't bother me so much. Now to do so, they would probably need at least two cameras at a location. traffic cams are common near all metropolitan areas, so unless they have a second one at a location that moves with a telephoto lens and targets license plates, that's probably all they are. Traffic cams.

Here in Oregon, you can see the live feed from all the traffic cams. There is a web site link for it.

Blake
07-14-2012, 10:56 AM
So are you OK with them?

I think it's a waste of time and money. They are only going to catch the stupid ones who don't know how to avoid them, and is it really necessary of slow down legal movement without actually searching for specific people?

It's cheaper to shoot the illegals trying to cross, imo

ElNono
07-14-2012, 12:40 PM
So are you OK with them?

I don't know the specifics of the logistics involved and why they're there, so I don't really have an answer to that.

I do know they have a big sign up with the amount of YTD tons of drugs they seized and illegal immigrants they caught, and it looks like quite a bit.

Wild Cobra
07-14-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't know the specifics of the logistics involved and why they're there, so I don't really have an answer to that.

I do know they have a big sign up with the amount of YTD tons of drugs they seized and illegal immigrants they caught, and it looks like quite a bit.
So what.

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 05:13 PM
What does that quote has to do with what I said? :lol

Wild Cobra
07-15-2012, 02:09 AM
What does that quote has to do with what I said? :lol
You are willing to give up freedom.

Jacob1983
07-15-2012, 02:13 AM
Why does America have a border with Mexico if no one wants it to be protected and guarded? I don't get it. You either have rules on crossing/entering the border illegally or you don't.

Wild Cobra
07-15-2012, 02:16 AM
Why does America have a border with Mexico if no one wants it to be protected and guarded? I don't get it. You either have rules on crossing/entering the border illegally or you don't.
Right.

Protect the border and keep them out. Don't make stops a few miles inside our border, of people without probable cause.

mavs>spurs
07-15-2012, 02:26 AM
Right.

Protect the border and keep them out. Don't make stops a few miles inside our border, of people without probable cause.

especially whenever they're only concerned with pulling over white americans and letting the drug smugglers through. it's just like at the airport where if you're of middle eastern descent you don't even get checked, they'd rather molest your 3 year old wtf.

Wild Cobra
07-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Here's a good one:

FCZB-k4jKBc

DMC
07-15-2012, 04:46 PM
This thread is hilarious. They can stop Americans in America and check their papers, but in Arizona they cannot do anything about it if they don't have papers.

Why fucking ask if they aren't going to deport? Maybe if the dude said he was illegal he would get free healthcare and a place to live, a stipend and free schooling, oh and a30K tax refund.