PDA

View Full Version : Scola to be Amenstied (OFFICIAL)

Pages : [1] 2

deibero
07-12-2012, 05:34 PM
According to the best reporter in the league, Adrian Worjanowski, scola its going to be officially amnestied tomorrow.

Hes due 3 yrs and 21mill...

Doubtful he will go unclaimed, but if by miracle he does i see him with the spurs next season!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Houston has decided to use the amnesty provision on Luis Scola and will likely file with NBA on Friday, league sources tell Y! Sports.

BatManu20
07-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA -- Twitter

The Mavericks will be aggressive bidders for Scola on the amnesty wire, league sources said. Dallas is serious about Elton Brand too.

ploto
07-12-2012, 05:38 PM
How much does Dallas have?

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Depends on who you believe. I've seen numbers from 6-9M.

slick'81
07-12-2012, 05:39 PM
so dallas is gonna get brand and scola ok

slick'81
07-12-2012, 05:40 PM
The Rocket have decided to waive PF Luis Scola using the amnesty clause, according to Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski.

This is pretty big news, but maybe the Rockets are as displeased with Scola's lack of shot blocking as his fantasy owners are. This could be big news for rookie Royce White, while Patrick Patterson would also see a much bigger role without Scola around. Despite his shot blocking deficiency, he's averaged 14.5 points and 7.7 rebounds in his NBA career and has only missed eight games in five years. He's going to be a very hot commodity off the amnesty wire.
Related: Royce White (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1950/royce-white), Patrick Patterson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1722/patrick-patterson)

Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/223542983675490304)
Jul 12 - 6:28 PM

monkeypunk

Seriously, just because they are under the cap, can they throw whatever they want to spend at these amnesties?

timvp
Somewhere whottt is saying he told us so.

Even though Scola looked pretty bad last season, I hope he doesn't end up with the Mavs. Then again, Dirk and Scola at the same time would be one porous combo.

Seventyniner
07-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Scola is probably more attractive than Brand because a team can lock him up for 3 years. Nevertheless, I don't expect either of them to clear waivers.

Then again, with cap-space teams bidding on the prime amnesty targets, a few decent ones might slip through the cracks. Haywood or Darko could make good 5th bigs.

ploto
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Does whatever the "winning" bid is then count against the cap?

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Seriously, just because they are under the cap, can they throw whatever they want to spend at these amnesties?

Any or all of their available cap space. Remember, they were set to offer a max contract to Williams. They've added Kaman, Collison, and Jones, but they still have a fair amount left.

slick'81
07-12-2012, 05:43 PM
does this mean htown is landing dwight

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 05:44 PM
does this mean htown is landing dwight

It means that they're all-in on trying to land Dwight.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Does whatever the "winning" bid is then count against the cap?Yes.

freetiago
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
it looks like the new southwest division strategy
steal all PFs from the spurs

maybe while all these teams are hoarding PFs we could get someone like carl landry

slick'81
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
damn houston and dallas looking to bolster that front court, bonner is shitting the bed somewhere

Big Empty
07-12-2012, 05:53 PM
could we create cap space by amnestying Boner?

ploto
07-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Yes.

Only that part, though, right? Only the part that they are actually paying. The remainder counts toward nobody's cap.

Mel_13

no

Lincoln
As timvp said, it would be a very porous front line. Kaman and Dirk is already bad enough but if we add scola to the mix, it's going to be laughable. It'll be nice to have a post presence (or two) for once next to Dirk. Dirk has never played with a skilled low post big man in his entire career

freetiago
07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
frontcourt

dirk/kaman/brand/scola/marion

backcourt

lol

chazley
Somewhere whottt is saying he told us so.

Even though Scola looked pretty bad last season, I hope he doesn't end up with the Mavs. Then again, Dirk and Scola at the same time would be one porous combo.

He had a horrid start to the season, but started to come on towards the end. I think he would be a great pickup. We'd probably have the best passing front line since Webber/Divac.

Mel_13
Only that part, though, right? Only the part that they are actually paying. The remainder counts toward nobody's cap.

Brand's 18M salary came off Philly's cap via the amnesty. The amount of the winning bid gets added to the winning team's cap. The winning team pays that amount to Brand. The remainder of his salary is paid by Philly.

jyra
07-12-2012, 05:58 PM
A smart person on twitter just reminded me that a bid on Scola would eat into the cap space for next season. So it is not quite a certainty that Dallas makes a bid on him.

DaDakota
07-12-2012, 06:01 PM
He is my favorite player, and a true warrior, the Spurs would be WISE to go after him, he can still ball really well and plays 100 miles an hour all game long.

It looks like we are going to rent Dwight and absorb every bad contract in the league in doing so.

UGH.

DD

slick'81
07-12-2012, 06:03 PM
we have diaw fck scola

Bruno
07-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Logical move.
He is the king of the empty stats and a choker in the Bonner mold.

TD 21
07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
A smart person on twitter just reminded me that a bid on Scola would eat into the cap space for next season. So it is not quite a certainty that Dallas makes a bid on him.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. They might just stick with going after Brand. If not the Mavs, it's difficult to come up with a team off the top who'd claim Scola, but it's also difficult to envision him going unclaimed. If he somehow did, the Spurs would probably be at the top of his list though, even for the minimum.

This is all beyond extremely unlikely, but if it comes to fruition, they should sign him and have him replace Bonner in the rotation. Sure, he's probably in decline, his rebounding was pathetic last season and he's never been a good defender, but he's an excellent mid range shooter, a solid passer and possesses one of the best low post repertoires in the league. At the minimum, he'd be a steal.

jesterbobman
07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Someone will claim him. At the very least, you have him on a minimum deal for 3 years, and that's excellent value. This is the value of being under the cap, you can get bargains on the amnesty guys.

SPURSCHAMP
07-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that too. They might just stick with going after Brand. If not the Mavs, it's difficult to come up with a team off the top who'd claim Scola, but it's also difficult to envision him going unclaimed. If he somehow did, the Spurs would probably be at the top of his list though, even for the minimum.

This is all beyond extremely unlikely, but if it comes to fruition, they should sign him and have him replace Bonner in the rotation. Sure, he's probably in decline, his rebounding was pathetic last season and he's never been a good defender, but he's an excellent mid range shooter, a solid passer and possesses one of the best low post repertoires in the league. At the minimum, he'd be a steal.

Why do you say the Spurs will be at the top of his list?

TheCerebral1
07-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Wow, this is a just wow amnesty. I get Brand to a degree but this one shocks me.

slick'81
07-12-2012, 06:26 PM
The Rockets plan on using the amnesty clause to waive PF Luis Scola, which would clear roughly $21 million in salary space to make a run at not only C Dwight Howard now, but possibly PG Chris Paul a year from now.

If the Rockets follow through on their plan to amnesty Scola they'd be able to handle two max deals, after letting two excellent point guards (Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry) and Scola go, which would put them in position to make a real run at Paul next summer. And if they can get Howard on board (with both the plan and in a Rockets uniform), anything is possible here.

Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/223549721560616960)

TD 21
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Why do you say the Spurs will be at the top of his list?

He's good friends with both Ginobili and Splitter and has always come off as disappointed at not being able to play with the Spurs.

But also, who would the alternative be? The Nets, Bobcats, Cavaliers, Warriors and maybe 76ers, are teams that come to mind as needing rotation quality power forwards. The Bobcats and Cavaliers can claim him, but I'm operating under the (unlikely) premise that no one does; so they're out. Say the Nets re-sign Humphries, which they're trying to do; they'd be out. That leaves the Warriors, who have a power forward who's going to log at least mid-thirties minutes per game. The 76ers, are a maybe, but seem intent on going with a cadre of long, athletic players at power forward. That leaves the Spurs, where he could play with two good friends, play at least 20 mpg off the bench have the possibility of eventually starting.

ploto
07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Brand's 18M salary came off Philly's cap via the amnesty. The amount of the winning bid gets added to the winning team's cap. The winning team pays that amount to Brand. The remainder of his salary is paid by Philly.

Then I was right.

freetiago
07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
if parker gets all his buddies to come play with him then ginobili should also
parker diaw starting
ginobili/scola bench
get nene or varejo to be butt buddies with splitter also

SPURSCHAMP
07-12-2012, 06:58 PM
He's good friends with both Ginobili and Splitter and has always come off as disappointed at not being able to play with the Spurs.

But also, who would the alternative be? The Nets, Bobcats, Cavaliers, Warriors and maybe 76ers, are teams that come to mind as needing rotation quality power forwards. The Bobcats and Cavaliers can claim him, but I'm operating under the (unlikely) premise that no one does; so they're out. Say the Nets re-sign Humphries, which they're trying to do; they'd be out. That leaves the Warriors, who have a power forward who's going to log at least mid-thirties minutes per game. The 76ers, are a maybe, but seem intent on going with a cadre of long, athletic players at power forward. That leaves the Spurs, where he could play with two good friends, play at least 20 mpg off the bench have the possibility of eventually starting.

I see. Well anything is better than that red headed choker. :toast

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Then I was right.

You're welcome.

ElNono
07-12-2012, 07:04 PM
He's way better than what Splitter will likely ever be... there's nothing empty about 14/8...

Plus he doesn't have a story of missing games with silly stuff...

But that's probably why he'll be priced above whatever the Spurs can afford...

ElNono
07-12-2012, 07:07 PM

no

Why not?

slick'81
07-12-2012, 07:08 PM
He's way better than what Splitter will likely ever be... there's nothing empty about 14/8...

.5 steals and .4 blks disagree

Hoops Czar
07-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Why not?

The Spurs are way over the salary cap, If they use the amnesty on Bonner, they will still be over the salary cap, just by a smaller amount.

ElNono
07-12-2012, 07:16 PM
.5 steals and .4 blks disagree

disagree with what?

Scola isn't a first tier big like Duncan/Bynum/Gasol... he's second tier, much like Odom... Odom put about the same numbers (including .6 steals, .7 blks) in his last good year (as a Laker).

ElNono
07-12-2012, 07:20 PM
The Spurs are way over the salary cap, If they use the amnesty on Bonner, they will still be over the salary cap, just by a smaller amount.

Nevermind, I got it mixed up with the luxury tax cap... thanks.

Andthentherewas21
07-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Anyone know what the policy is on amnestied players being traded? I'm assuming its the same as those claimed off of waivers, but does anyone know for sure?

If possible, it would be great to offer someone Blair/Neal/Bonner or any combination for them to put a bid on Scola or Brand.

ElNono
07-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Anyone know what the policy is on amnestied players being traded? I'm assuming its the same as those claimed off of waivers, but does anyone know for sure?

If possible, it would be great to offer someone Blair/Neal/Bonner or any combination for them to put a bid on Scola or Brand.

Can't make room by trading players... you can only make room by waiving/using amnesty...

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

Andthentherewas21
07-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Can't make room by trading players... you can only make room by waiving/using amnesty...

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

I meant offering those players to someone already under the cap (for example: the Cavs) in exchange for the amnestied players.

therealtruth
07-12-2012, 07:53 PM

Scola needs to play next to a strong defensive center. Duncan needs help not more work.

ElNono
07-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Scola needs to play next to a strong defensive center. Duncan needs help not more work.

Duncan is the best defensive center we have... tbh, Scola sucks on defense, but he isn't any worse than Diaw or Bonner...

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 08:14 PM
I meant offering those players to someone already under the cap (for example: the Cavs) in exchange for the amnestied players.

The answer was in that link. Players claimed through the amnesty process this month may not be traded until July 1, 2013.

elemento
07-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Duncan is the best defensive center we have... tbh, Scola sucks on defense, but he isn't any worse than Diaw or Bonner...

Diaw is better defensively than Scola !

ElNono
07-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Diaw is better defensively than Scola !

tossup, IMO. Diaw is generally a fairly poor rebounder for his size. He never averaged more than 6 per season...

slick'81
07-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Eric Pincus wrote Thursday that Luis Scola is not likely to receive an amnesty bid.

Scola's last year is not guaranteed for $10 million and according to salary cap guru Larry Coon that means his minimum annual salary must be that amount times three years. It's very unlikely that he will see an offer like that, so Scola will likely pass through amnesty waivers and become a free agent.

Source: Hoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/amnesty-claim-on-scola-prohibitive)

Andthentherewas21
07-12-2012, 08:31 PM
The answer was in that link. Players claimed through the amnesty process this month may not be traded until July 1, 2013.

I figured as much, but it was worth double checking

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Also from that link:

The minimum bid for a partial waiver claim is whichever of the following is larger:

The sum of the player's minimum salary for all remaining years of his contract, except for completely non-guaranteed seasons (seasons with 0% salary protection) which are ignored for this purpose.

The sum of all non-guaranteed salary in partially-guaranteed seasons.

Scola has three years remaining on his contract, with 11M due in the third year. Shamsports shows that third year as totally unguaranteed, in which case it can be ignored. There are reports now that the third year is 1M guaranteed, in which case the minimum bid would have to be 10M rather than 2 times the minimum salary. If true, it becomes much more likely that Scola clears waivers and will be able to choose his next team..

Hoops Czar
07-12-2012, 08:38 PM
.There are reports now that the third year is 1M guaranteed, in which case the minimum bid would have to be 10M rather than 2 times the minimum salary. If true, it becomes much more likely that Scola clears waivers and will be able to choose his next team..

Hello Miami

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Hello Miami

:lol

slick'81
07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
now once scola clears well have 10000000 treads about how manu will get him here lol

benefactor
07-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Also from that link:

The minimum bid for a partial waiver claim is whichever of the following is larger:

The sum of the player's minimum salary for all remaining years of his contract, except for completely non-guaranteed seasons (seasons with 0% salary protection) which are ignored for this purpose.

Scola has three years remaining on his contract, with 11M due in the third year. Shamsports shows that third year as totally unguaranteed, in which case it can be ignored. There are reports now that the third year is 1M guaranteed, in which case the minimum bid would have to be 10M rather than 2 times the minimum salary. If true, it becomes much more likely that Scola clears waivers and will be able to choose his next team..
Well hell...perhaps things did just become more interesting.

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 08:46 PM
now once scola clears well have 10000000 treads about how manu will get him here lol

And a few wishing they hadn't used the bulk of the BAE on Nando.

ElNono
07-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Get Cleveland to sign him for $3.5m/season after he clears waivers, then trade for Bonner...

Do it RC!

DJ Mbenga
07-12-2012, 08:50 PM
so minimum bid is 3 years 3.5 million?. Dallas has to get him. Just ignore brand

jesterbobman
07-12-2012, 08:50 PM
I'd guess the Spurs would have a chance. Manu and Splitter would be big draws, and he probably wants to be on a good team where he could play. Not definite, but could happen.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Get Cleveland to sign him for $3.5m/season after he clears waivers, then trade for Bonner...

Do it RC!

Can't trade an amnesty pickup until next July.

If he clears, you absolutely cut Blair immediately and sign Scola for the minimum.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-12-2012, 08:53 PM
so minimum bid is 3 years 3.5 million?. Dallas has to get him. Just ignore brand

Dallas is signing players to fat one year contracts just to avoid ANY cap hit next summer. They're not going to claim him.

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 08:56 PM
As confirmed by cap guru Larry Coon, a player with a partially guarantee salary requires a minimum bid of the non-guaranteed amount. Scola is set to make $9.4 million and $10.2 million over the next two years. His final season is for $11.0 million with just $1 million guaranteed.

Therefore a minimum amnesty claim for Scola would start at the non-guarantee portion of exactly $10,041,037. That amount needs to be paid over three years, so the lowest claim would be $3,347,012.

Few teams have that kind of cap space which may open the door for Luis to clear waivers completely.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/amnesty-claim-on-scola-prohibitive

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Can't trade an amnesty pickup until next July.

If he clears, you absolutely cut Blair immediately and sign Scola for the minimum.

Spurs have until Nov 1st to cut Blair and owe him nothing.

benefactor
07-12-2012, 09:07 PM
If he clears waivers...I don't see why it doesn't become similar to the Diaw situation. Scola could easily see the Spurs as a shot at a ring while playing with his countrymen and old teammate, while signing a one year deal in order to chase cash next summer in free agency.

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Splitter, Scola, and Ginobili on that second unit would be fun to watch.

guilhermercf
07-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Scola got hurt tonight.

Dont know how bad it is.

benefactor
07-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Splitter, Scola, and Ginobili on that second unit would be fun to watch.
Indeed. Pretty seamless transition for Scola. I don't know if it puts them over the top but it sure beats the hell out of Bonner or Blair.

AFBlue
07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
I'd like to know the list of teams eligible to make a bid on him, because $3.5M for a player with his skill is a nice bargain. If he clears waivers though, Spurs should have a decent shot at him.

angelbelow
07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
I like Scola, would love to have him play for the minimum.

Sure he was pretty terrible early on but half the league seemed off as well.

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I'd like to know the list of teams eligible to make a bid on him, because $3.5M for a player with his skill is a nice bargain. If he clears waivers though, Spurs should have a decent shot at him.

Asking around, not as much interest among uncapped teams for Scola bid as you'd think. Minimum bid is $3+ million in year one, $10M total.

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt

ElNono
07-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Scola got hurt tonight.

Dont know how bad it is.

Tweak on the right knee... Both Scola and Tiago had good games (19pts each)... Manu didn't play (upset stomach). Brazil won 91-75...

bigfan
07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Rather have Haywood if we can get him. We need another big guy, not another guy that plays big.

angelbelow
07-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Rather have Haywood if we can get him. We need another big guy, not another guy that plays big.

I get the sentiment but doesn't apply when it comes to Haywood. He plays too small to be counted as a big.

DPG21920
07-12-2012, 09:44 PM
3.5 is a lot, but in reality most teams would like to have Scola at that price. I can't see it scaring off any teams with cap space with the exception of the Mavs who don't want long term contracts. But they will need cheap contracts to fill out the roster and getting Scola for 3 years, 10M is about as good as you can hope for.

CGD
07-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info Mel. As far as Dallas goes, it's really Brand or Scola right? Brand is equally pricy no?

If he does clear waivers, what is the most the Spurs could offer him now in the heels of all the signing?

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info Mel. As far as Dallas goes, it's really Brand or Scola right? Brand is equally pricy no?

If he does clear waivers, what is the most the Spurs could offer him now in the heels of all the signing?

Spurs can only offer a minimum contract.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-12-2012, 09:54 PM

Brand has only 1 year left on his contract while Scola has 3 years. I believe the most Spurs could offer is the vet minimum.

timvp
07-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Damn, Scola has fallen hardcore if he can't get $10 million over three years. That is scrub money, tbh. I know he was bad last year but wow. If the Spurs had the money to spend, I'd advocate doing that deal for Scola -- even though he got punked by Bonner a couple times last year.

If Scola becomes a free agent, the Spurs should ABSOLUTELY try to sign him for the minimum. That would be a steal even if he regresses further from last season.

Parker landed Diaw and De Colo. It'd be Manu's turn to land Scola.

Hope it happens ... but I think he'll get claimed. That's too good of a deal.

Man In Black
07-12-2012, 09:57 PM
I like Luis on that 2nd unit. I'm much more confident in his post up skills than in Blair or anyone not named Tim Duncan. If Scola's low block work helps Tim rest his body some then 3.4 mill doesn't seem like too much. Send the naturalized red-headed Canadian home to Canada via Amnesty.

Knoxxx
07-12-2012, 10:01 PM
How about an all white lineup of Splitter, Scola, Ginobili, De Colo, and Bonner. How bizarre would that be?!? (for the record I am less enthused about keeping Bonner than even Blair).

Scola is not perfect but he represents a potential roster upgrade so I am excited that may be possible, especially after the "Lorbek letdown." We just need to get a little bit better and changing out our weakest links is the way to do it. Scola is a warrior at heart and I think he would mesh well with our team.

freetiago
07-12-2012, 10:01 PM
it doesnt matter if the spurs give him a vet min since the rockets would be paying the rest of the contract
or do they do a kind of staggered pay instead of the normal
where they pay off the amnesty in like 5 years instead of the normal 3 of his contract

Knoxxx
07-12-2012, 10:04 PM

Scola would be a nice addition, but we still need a rim protecting PF or C to help Tim.

Indazone
07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
I guess it would be poetic justice if Scola somehow ended up back on the Spurs roster. Thanks for the rental. lol

slick'81
I guess it would be poetic justice if Scola somehow ended up back on the Spurs roster. Thanks for the rental. lol

no shit first jax then scola worlds coming full circle :king

CGD
True he fell off last year, but he was asked to di way too mich for the Rockets for way too long. I think he has a revival in a lesser role.

CGD
07-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Also do we know how long the waiver process lasts? I understand the clock is running as we speak, but by when does the window close?

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Also do we know how long the waiver process lasts? I understand the clock is running as we speak, but by when does the window close?

Players can be placed on amnesty waivers until July 17th. The whole business will be over a few days after that.

NickiRasgo
07-12-2012, 10:13 PM
I just saw this a while ago from my FB friend. I dunno where did he got it from.

According to Spurs GM RC Buford a former Spur maybe coming back to San Antonio? I hope he's talking about Luis Scola!

slick'81
07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
and so it begins

jesterbobman
07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Anyone who doesn't want Scola at the minimum is nuts. Sure, it'd be grat to have an excellent athletic defensive player with an all star ceiling at the minimum, but that's not reasonable. If he's only average, average at the minimum is a great deal.

spurs10
07-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Maybe Manu can persuade him! I'd love to have Scola back!

ploto
07-12-2012, 10:20 PM
I just saw this a while ago from my FB friend. I dunno where did he got it from.

Scola was never a Spur.

I would not be surprised if someone is coming back to work for the team.

Hoops Czar
07-12-2012, 10:21 PM

By a while ago, you mean around the time S-Jax returned??? I don't think the Spurs even knew Scola was going to be amnestied.

Hoops Czar
07-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Scola was never a Spur.

I would not be surprised if someone is coming back to work for the team.

He was property of the Spurs, so technically he was.

ploto
07-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Say for example Dallas were to bid the money for Scola. The cap hit for this coming season is $3 million. Then, if they were to try to trade him next year, that team would only be in for the little over $3 million. What happens if he hits the third year which has only $1 million guaranteed? Can that year be bought out or is the team still hit for over $3 million on the cap?

ElNono
07-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Nazr?

The Great Fantastic
07-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Damn, Scola has fallen hardcore if he can't get $10 million over three years. That is scrub money, tbh. I know he was bad last year but wow. If the Spurs had the money to spend, I'd advocate doing that deal for Scola -- even though he got punked by Bonner a couple times last year.

If Scola becomes a free agent, the Spurs should ABSOLUTELY try to sign him for the minimum. That would be a steal even if he regresses further from last season.

Parker landed Diaw and De Colo. It'd be Manu's turn to land Scola.

Hope it happens ... but I think he'll get claimed. That's too good of a deal.

Let's not forget how close Tiago and Luis are. Luis named his son Tiago. Let's hope that Scola can forgive the Spurs organization and be where he always belonged.....but it's hard to believe he won't be claimed off of waivers.

ploto
07-12-2012, 10:33 PM

I think I read the minimum bid for Brand is only about $1.35 million.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Nazr?
Thats what i was thinking.

lefty
07-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Nazr?

Or Turkogluglu !

angelbelow
07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Would be funny if we ended up getting Scola and started him next to Duncan.

slick'81
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
so does anyone really know what happend between scola and the spurs brass years ago?!?

ivanfromwestwood
07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Scola thread!!!!!!!!!!

timvp
07-12-2012, 11:17 PM
so does anyone really know what happend between scola and the spurs brass years ago?!?

Short version.

-Scola says he doesn't want to be drafted.

-Spurs draft Scola anyways.

-Scola throws a tantrum.

-Spurs start to scout Scola.

-Buford emails Scola to tell him he needs to rebound better.

-Scola gets pissed and says he rebounds the ball fine.

-Spurs try to bring over Scola but don't want to pay $10M+. At the time, no second round draft pick had ever been paid anything close to that amount.

-When negotiations breakdown, the Spurs blame Scola having a $8 million buyout.

-Scola says his buyout isn't nearly that expensive; Spurs claim it is.

-Time passes and the Spurs still don't want to pay the money Scola wants (still $10M+).

-Spurs begin to shop Scola, wanting a first round draft pick. Get no takers.

-Spurs sour on Jackie Butler and his $2.5 million contract.

-The only team offering more than a second round pick for Scola is the Rockets.

-Spurs don't want to trade with Rockets so they hold out for another team. Try to convince Ferry and the Cavs to take him. Ferry declines. Then Spurs try to sell the Bulls on him. That fails too.

-Rockets offer the ability to salary dump Butler's contract plus a second round pick.

-Pop says not to do it but Buford insists it's the only option.

-Spurs make the trade.

-Rockets instantly sign Scola. Turns out his buyout wasn't anything close to $8 million.

-Scola plays better than anticipated -- including rebounding at a high level.

-Pop is pissed. Buford is silent.

-Scola makes sure to burn the Spurs each time the two teams play.

-Scola improves to the point that he gets a $47 million contract with the Rockets.

-In the meantime, the Spurs hand Bonner $25 million worth of contracts to lay eggs in the playoffs.

-Scola almost gets traded in the CP3 deal. When trade is taken back, Scola responds with a horrible season.

-Bonner still choking in the playoffs.

-Scola gets amnestied. Rockets end up paying $20M+ to wipe his contract off the books.

Damn, that wasn't short...

slick'81
07-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Short version.

-Scola says he doesn't want to be drafted.

-Spurs draft Scola anyways.

-Scola throws a tantrum.

-Spurs start to scout Scola.

-Buford emails Scola to tell him he needs to rebound better.

-Scola gets pissed and says he rebounds the ball fine.

-Spurs try to bring over Scola but don't want to pay $10M+. At the time, no second round draft pick had ever been paid anything close to that amount.

-When negotiations breakdown, the Spurs blame Scola having a $8 million buyout.

-Scola says his buyout isn't nearly that expensive; Spurs claim it is.

-Time passes and the Spurs still don't want to pay the money Scola wants (still $10M+).

-Spurs begin to shop Scola, wanting a first round draft pick. Get no takers.

-Spurs sour on Jackie Butler and his $2.5 million contract.

-The only team offering more than a second round pick for Scola is the Rockets.

-Spurs don't want to trade with Rockets so they hold out for another team. Try to convince Ferry and the Cavs to take him. Ferry declines. Then Spurs try to sell the Bulls on him. That fails too.

-Rockets offer the ability to salary dump Butler's contract plus a second round pick.

-Pop says not to do it but Buford insists it's the only option.

-Spurs make the trade.

-Rockets instantly sign Scola. Turns out his buyout wasn't anything close to $8 million.

-Scola plays better than anticipated -- including rebounding at a high level.

-Pop is pissed. Buford is silent.

-Scola makes sure to burn the Spurs each time the two teams play.

-Scola improves to the point that he gets a $47 million contract with the Rockets.

-In the meantime, the Spurs hand Bonner $25 million worth of contracts to lay eggs in the playoffs.

-Scola almost gets traded in the CP3 deal. When trade is taken back, Scola responds with a horrible season.

-Bonner still choking in the playoffs.

-Scola gets amnestied. Rockets end up paying $20M+ to wipe his contract off the books.

thanks vp

Spursfanfromafar
07-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Short version....

Sco much for Scola..

slick'81
07-12-2012, 11:25 PM
intersting pop didnt want the trade

sickening that bonner made 25 mil playing basketball

Sean Cagney
07-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Butttttttt Scola is our saviour!!!!!!!!!!!! YES HE IS! Bonner still sucks though, he is some shit.

Brutalis
07-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Is this the same Scola from several years ago that we couldn't buy out? Then we trade him..well the rights to him just for the buyout to get dropped for the Rockettes? Greeeaaat.

Stand
07-12-2012, 11:44 PM
I still can't believe how bad we screwed up with Scola.

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Mavs will claim him.

Spurs won't get him.

Scola has a horrible relationship with the Spurs FO.

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Short version.

I remember that in the summer of 2007 Scola wanted to be a starter and Spurs couldn't promise that.

And the FO believed that Splitter would be better than Scola.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 12:15 AM
FWIW, it took the Rockets 5 days to resolve Scola's buyout... what the Spurs couldn't get done in 5 years (Scola was drafted by the Spurs in 2002). Scola's first contract with the Rockets was for 3 years, $9.5 million ($3.2m/year). Basically what the Spurs ended up paying Bonner.

Another tidbit, Scola thanked the Spurs FO for trading his rights when he was introduced as a member of the Rockets.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 12:17 AM
I remember that in the summer of 2007 Scola wanted to be a starter and Spurs couldn't promise that.

This is some BS rumor, tbh... IIRC, Scola wasn't even starting in the Argentina NT back then...

He only started 39 games for the Rockets in his 1st season too... he played all 82 games...

ploto
07-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Spurs lied about Scola to cover their asses. His buyout was not that high. He did not demand that high of a salary. He could have played alongside Duncan. Houston quickly bought him out and signed him for about the same as the Spurs gave Bonner.

Pop did not want to trade him.

RodNIc91
07-13-2012, 12:22 AM
This is some BS rumor, tbh... IIRC, Scola wasn't even starting in the Argentina NT back then...

Don't know about the other part but of course he was starting along with Oberto. IIRC that was about the time when he became Argentina NT captain. The other big men in the Argentina NT were/are scrubs.

BTW I didn't know it was such a big deal to bring him over.

ploto
07-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Another tidbit, Scola thanked the Spurs FO for trading his rights when he was introduced as a member of the Rockets.

Spurs drafted Splitter and they are very close friends. Scola by that time was fed up with the Spurs front office. I think part of the reason the Spurs finally gave in and traded Scola was to make nice and look good for Splitter who they would be trying to sign the next summer. Splitter knew all about Scola's issues with the Spurs.

Mark in Austin
07-13-2012, 12:33 AM
If Kwame Brown can get 7 million from the Warriors, somebidy is going to claim Scola for under 4 million.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Don't know about the other part but of course he was starting along with Oberto. IIRC that was about the time when he became Argentina NT captain. The other big men in the Argentina NT were/are scrubs.

BTW I didn't know it was such a big deal to bring him over.

IIRC, up to the 2006 Worlds, the starters were Oberto and Wolkowyski. Scola was the leading scorer, but was coming from the bench. For the 2007 FIBA Americas championship (played in Las Vegas), Scola started because Oberto didn't play (neither did Ginobili) and Wolkowyski retired. That was the tournament where he won MVP, and finished second behind Team USA. By that time, he was a Houston Rocket already.

slick'81
07-13-2012, 12:38 AM
i just wonder after all the shit that went down if scola would even want to be a spur?!

ElNono
07-13-2012, 12:43 AM
I just think some team will offer more than the vet min..

Andthentherewas21
07-13-2012, 12:54 AM
i just wonder after all the shit that went down if scola would even want to be a spur?!

Maybe, maybe not. But last season it looked like he didn't want to be a Rocket, and given most of the teams that can bid on him are in that same class if not worse, I don't think his past issues with the Spurs are something that couldn't be overcome.

Really a matter of if he clears waivers or not.

Duncan2177
07-13-2012, 01:06 AM
I wonder If Manu and Tiago will talk him into joining the spurs.

lakerhaterade
07-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Spurs drafted Splitter and they are very close friends. Scola by that time was fed up with the Spurs front office. I think part of the reason the Spurs finally gave in and traded Scola was to make nice and look good for Splitter who they would be trying to sign the next summer. Splitter knew all about Scola's issues with the Spurs.

case in point all those twitter pics on manu's twitter profile

rascal
07-13-2012, 04:45 AM
How about an all white lineup of Splitter, Scola, Ginobili, De Colo, and Bonner. How bizarre would that be?!? (for the record I am less enthused about keeping Bonner than even Blair).

Scola is not perfect but he represents a potential roster upgrade so I am excited that may be possible, especially after the "Lorbek letdown." We just need to get a little bit better and changing out our weakest links is the way to do it. Scola is a warrior at heart and I think he would mesh well with our team.

All white lineups don't win in the NBA.

intlspurshk
07-13-2012, 05:01 AM
Overall. I think RC screwed up the negotiation with Scola and eventually made a wrong decision to trade him. It was history and I don't see Scola want to be a SPURS if he has opportunity to choose the team he played.

therealtruth
07-13-2012, 06:02 AM
I would take him as an upgrade over Bonner/Blair. RC's got to stop with the nonsense that the frontcourt is fine with Bonner and Blair. No frontcourt with that combination is fine.

Fireball
07-13-2012, 06:29 AM
A frontcourt with Duncan, Diaw, Splitter, Scola and even Blair would be a thing of beauty regarding their passing abilities. Our offense would be even more potent than last season. But I still think we should adress the defensive challenges ...

Bruno
07-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Scola would be a clear upgrade over Bonner and Blair but he won't be a that good fit because Spurs need first a good defender and Scola is a poor one.

What Spurs should do is crystal clear. First, they have to wait to see if Scola clear waivers or not. Second, if he clears waivers, they had to offer him the best contract they can (2 years min salary with a player option on the second year). Third, if the get him they had to trade Blair for the best offer they can get.

At the end, getting Scola for the min would be a good move but I would rather see Spurs getting a PF that is a better defender through a little trade.

MmP
07-13-2012, 07:37 AM
I don't agree he's a bad defender. He's not great, but he moves well and he's smart too. I'd say he's a cheaper version of Oberto on D. He's a hard worker on the court, just like Manu. Pair him up with Ginobili on the pick and roll and we might be unstoppable. Pair him up with Tiago on the High-Low and we can have a great bench, they played a couple of years together.

It'd be a dream to have Scola over, finally.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Scola would be a clear upgrade over Bonner and Blair but he won't be a that good fit because Spurs need first a good defender and Scola is a poor one.

What Spurs should do is crystal clear. First, they have to wait to see if Scola clear waivers or not. Second, if he clears waivers, they had to offer him the best contract they can (2 years min salary with a player option on the second year). Third, if the get him they had to trade Blair for the best offer they can get.

At the end, getting Scola for the min would be a good move but I would rather see Spurs getting a PF that is a better defender through a little trade.

They've tried to move him, and had no takers so far. That's OK. His contract for next year is fully UN guaranteed if cut by a certain date. Cut him loose.

Bruno
07-13-2012, 08:01 AM
They've tried to move him, and had no takers so far. That's OK. His contract for next year is fully UN guaranteed if cut by a certain date. Cut him loose.

Well, I can easily see some teams offering one or two 2nd round picks for Blair. For the moment, Spurs rather keep Blair because he is more valuable to them than that. If they get Scola, it will change with Blair dropping even more in the teams depth chart and Spurs should take an offer like that.

bklynspursfan
07-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Miami just won the title without someone in the middle to be an enforcer. Sure we don't have a Lebron James, but if our wing guys can play GREAT (not good) defense, then I would be fine with getting a Scola vs. someone who will protect the rim. Make it harder for teams to get to the basket.

Not to mention this would potentially give us someone who is fully capable of operating in the post and has a deadly mid-range shot.

rascal
07-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Scola is another below the rim big. The Spurs have a team full of them.

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 08:52 AM
1.Is it possible that no team would claim Scola?

Mavs seems like him (and Brand) a lot and they can claim both.

2.Is it possible that Scola would like to accept the Min?

I heard that he had a poor relationship with Spurs FO when he was in Euro. But meanwhile he is a good friend of Splitter and Manu.

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 08:59 AM
When is the deadline for teams to claim Scola?

temujin
07-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Luifa is a warrior and a champion.
NExt year, he is going to be on a mission, to prove these idiots wrong.
Whoever gets him will make a huge steal.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it's going to be the Spurs.

CGD
07-13-2012, 10:09 AM
You have to think that IF he clears waivers, the Spurs are the front runners to land him. Sure Scola's relationship with RC isn't the best, but his best friends are here + there is no need to haggle over salary since its already set for the 32 years old PF.

I have my doubts that he'll be claimed. There are rumblings of several serviceable bigmen being amnestied (Thomas, Blatche) to add to those who already have (Brand, Haywood, Darko) for teams to choose from, and a dwindling amount of teams with the sufficient cap space to take on Scola's even reduced salary. Not to mention their are other potential amnesty cuts at other positions.

dunkman
07-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Scola is exactly the type of player the Spurs need. When the defenses get tight in the playoffs, he can get his shot going. Duncan and Manu used to do that, but that's not the case anymore.

The team also needs a third defensive center. Darko or Kwame.

Budkin
07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Pretty sure the Mavs will win the bidding.

timvp
07-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Hopefully Scola doesn't get claimed. Not only will that give the Spurs the chance to add a solid player for the minimum, it'd finally end the debate of how much Scola ever wanted to be a Spur. During all the Scola drama, Scola's camp always painted the picture that Scola was desperate to sign with the Spurs and loved the organization. The Spurs were always skeptical of that claim.

If Scola doesn't sign with the Spurs even though he's already getting paid handsomely from the Rockets just for going away, it'll prove that Scola never really liked the Spurs as much as his camp said. San Antonio has an obvious need to replace Blonnair and probably his two closest friends in the NBA in Ginobili and Splitter. If no one wants to pay him $10 million over three years, there shouldn't be an amount of money that persuades him to go anywhere else other than the Spurs, tbh.

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 11:16 AM
If no one wants to pay him $10 million over three years, there shouldn't be an amount of money that persuades him to go anywhere else other than the Spurs, tbh.
I don't get it.

Teams could just offer $1m per year to claim him and see if someone offered more.

Am I missing something?

CGD
07-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Pretty sure the Mavs will win the bidding.

Im not so sure. Not only are they interested in Brand, but I read this morning that they'll jump on Calderon if Toronto cuts him loose. Mavs dont have as much money as they did a week ago.

AFBlue
07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't get it.

Teams could just offer $1m per year to claim him and see if someone offered more.

Am I missing something?

Yes you're missing something. A page or two earlier it was explained that the minimum bid for Scola would have to equal his lowest yearly salary of his current contract ($10M), which they can prorate over the three remaining years of his contract, or $3.3M/yr.

hooperflash
07-13-2012, 11:25 AM
We have boring off seasons but entertaining regular seasons..

rascal
07-13-2012, 11:26 AM
You have to think that IF he clears waivers, the Spurs are the front runners to land him. Sure Scola's relationship with RC isn't the best, but his best friends are here + there is no need to haggle over salary since its already set for the 32 years old PF.

I have my doubts that he'll be claimed. There are rumblings of several serviceable bigmen being amnestied (Thomas, Blatche) to add to those who already have (Brand, Haywood, Darko) for teams to choose from, and a dwindling amount of teams with the sufficient cap space to take on Scola's even reduced salary. Not to mention their are other potential amnesty cuts at other positions.

Agree with this post. Scola will clear waivers.

Scola will be on the Spurs. Scola is the type of player that the Spurs get. He is foreign, has freinds on the team that he is used to playing with and is a former player that they had the rights to.

He also won't be enough of a difference maker in the end. A perfect fit for a Spur acquisition.

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Yes you're missing something. A page or two earlier it was explained that the minimum bid for Scola would have to equal his lowest yearly salary of his current contract ($10M), which they can prorate over the three remaining years of his contract, or $3.3M/yr.
Oh, thanks.

SA210
07-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Hopefully Scola doesn't get claimed. Not only will that give the Spurs the chance to add a solid player for the minimum, it'd finally end the debate of how much Scola ever wanted to be a Spur. During all the Scola drama, Scola's camp always painted the picture that Scola was desperate to sign with the Spurs and loved the organization. The Spurs were always skeptical of that claim.

If Scola doesn't sign with the Spurs even though he's already getting paid handsomely from the Rockets just for going away, it'll prove that Scola never really liked the Spurs as much as his camp said. San Antonio has an obvious need to replace Blonnair and probably his two closest friends in the NBA in Ginobili and Splitter. If no one wants to pay him $10 million over three years, there shouldn't be an amount of money that persuades him to go anywhere else other than the Spurs, tbh.

I'd like to agree with you here, but I don't think it means he didn't want to be a Spur the whole time if he didn't come. He may have wanted to badly before, but then after being done wrong by the spurs FO, maybe that just left a bad taste in his mouth.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Manu and Scola are together now with the NT because of the Olympics and will be basically together until mid-August... if he clears waivers, the sales pitch can start right away.

Another thing to consider is the insurance situation for international play. That's normally based on the player's salary, and it's the reason Team ARG has been unable to secure insurance for Delfino yet, who is still a free agent.
So there might be an incentive there for Scola to resolve his situation quickly (although it might not matter seeing he's still going to get guaranteed money from his previous Houston deal).

Or it could also mean the Spurs are just not interested in him. While Pop has commented publicly about his reluctance to give him away, I don't know RC is over that whole old situation.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-13-2012, 11:48 AM
I'd like to agree with you here, but I don't think it means he didn't want to be a Spur the whole time if he didn't come. He may have wanted to badly before, but then after being done wrong by the spurs FO, maybe that just left a bad taste in his mouth.
IMO i think he just has a bad taste in his mouth toward RC. Between 2 of his best friends already on the team, his respect for Pop, Tim, & Tony , & the spurs being a top 5 team in the NBA, i think he signs if he clears waivers.

timvp
07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Or it could also mean the Spurs are just not interested in him. While Pop has commented publicly about his reluctance to give him away, I don't know RC is over that whole old situation.

The Spurs will be interested in Scola for the minimum. Guaranteed. It's a no-brainer, tbh.

elemento
07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't think the San Antonio factor is bigger than Manu and Splitter factor. Scola is a warrior and since he will be paid anyway, I am sure he would love to play with Manu and Splitter.

If he clear waivers, I am sure he will consider SA.

timvp
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Today at 4 PM, the winning bid for Elton Brand will be announced. Spurs fans need to hope the Mavs win that bid because if they don't, they'll surely put in a bid for Scola.

I still think there will be another team willing to pay Scola three years, $10M ... but the most likely team to do it is a Brand-less (generic?) Mavs.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Today at 4 PM, the winning bid for Elton Brand will be announced. Spurs fans need to hope the Mavs win that bid because if they don't, they'll surely put in a bid for Scola.

I still think there will be another team willing to pay Scola three years, $10M ... but the most likely team to do it is a Brand-less (generic?) Mavs.

Do you think Dallas might skip over both & chase Darko? They need a Center more than a offensive PF. Plus they still have Wright at backup PF who had a surprising season.

trollt
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Do we need another soft bigman? I'd prefer some bolded names that have long arms.

SA210
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
IMO i think he just has a bad taste in his mouth toward RC. Between 2 of his best friends already on the team, his respect for Pop, Tim, & Tony , & the spurs being a top 5 team in the NBA, i think he signs if he clears waivers.

I think Pop had just as much say in what happened as RC back then. But yea, Manu is a huge factor. :tu

T Park
07-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I think Pop had just as much say in what happened as RC back then. But yea, Manu is a huge factor. :tu

Only problem is he wanted Scola. But hey, why stick to the facts?

T Park
07-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Do we need another soft bigman? I'd prefer some bolded names that have long arms.

Awesome,

Like who?

T Park
07-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I would take him as an upgrade over Bonner/Blair. RC's got to stop with the nonsense that the frontcourt is fine with Bonner and Blair. No frontcourt with that combination is fine.

Awesome, who do you upgrade with?

SA210
07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Only problem is he wanted Scola. But hey, why stick to the facts?

Doesn't mean he didn't get personal, as he always does.

TPark talking about facts :rollin

T Park
07-13-2012, 12:28 PM

So you dispute lj's timeline?

SA210
07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
So you dispute lj's timeline?

I dispute you. Get off the nutsack already lol

trollt
07-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Awesome,

Like who?

It was just a troll. Wait, am I being trolled right now?

ploto
07-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Pop definitely did not want Scola traded. RC talked him into Going along with it.

ploto
07-13-2012, 01:51 PM

Not true. Things change over time. What he does this year is not equivalent to his wishes years ago.

DesignatedT
07-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Can the mavs withdraw their bid for Brand knowing Scola is now free? Or is it a one time thing.

07-13-2012, 01:55 PM
between haywood and scola, i rather have haywood. spurs need shotblocking and rebounding much more than the added offense from scola. spurs already have enough offense, time to rejuvenate the defense.

DPG21920
07-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Can the mavs withdraw their bid for Brand knowing Scola is now free? Or is it a one time thing.

You cannot withdraw a bid for an amnestied player.

DesignatedT
between haywood and scola, i rather have haywood. spurs need shotblocking and rebounding much more than the added offense from scola. spurs already have enough offense, time to rejuvenate the defense.

lol

DesignatedT
You cannot withdraw a bid for an amnestied player.

Thanks.

Lincoln
07-13-2012, 01:59 PM

We want brand instead because he is a better fit(better defender and rebounder). It would also allow us to stay flexible financially so we can pursuit a big name FA next summer again. Brand is in his final year while scola has 3 left iirc

GB20
07-13-2012, 02:06 PM

As GM, you suck

07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
As GM, you suck
i guess we'll never know. another team is bound to bid for scola and the spurs will have to look somewhere else.

4down
07-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Do you think Dallas might skip over both & chase Darko? They need a Center more than a offensive PF. Plus they still have Wright at backup PF who had a surprising season.

Might be wrong, but isn't Dallas brigning Kaman in? Not sure if he actually fits the need you;re referring to, as I don;t knowwho else is in their stable of bigs.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Might be wrong, but isn't Dallas brigning Kaman in? Not sure if he actually fits the need you;re referring to, as I don;t knowwho else is in their stable of bigs.
Kaman is only on a 1 year Rental & the only other decent Center on the market is they guy they just let go who was Haywood, but i just saw that Darko still has multiple years left on his contract so now i doubt they want to pick him up.

Hoops Czar
07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
As GM, you suck

As a GM, he sucks because he prioritizes defense over offense. The Spurs offense last year was second to none in almost every offensive statistical category imaginable and you think by adding more offense, the team will improve? If that's the case, as a fan you're ignorant.

I wouldn't mind taking Scola on a Vet min for the year, but knowing RC's tendencies, he's lible to blow all his cap space next year on Scola's new contract instead of going after available free agents that can improve the team long term (ie. Josh Smith)

bklynspursfan
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Via Twitter:

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Luis Scola has been officially released today via the amnesty clause by Rockets, sources with knowledge of the move tell ESPN

monkeypunk
07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
So how long does the bidding go on?

Drom John
07-13-2012, 02:39 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
MT @DLord_DBdotcom: Scola amnesty bid deadine: Sunday at 5 PM ET. Minimum bid: $10.5M total ($3.4M/yr). Only under-the-cap teams eligible

monkeypunk
07-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks!

bklynspursfan
07-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Deadline for Scola- Sunday 5PM

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
MT @DLord_DBdotcom: Scola amnesty bid deadine: Sunday at 5 PM ET. Minimum bid: $10.5M total ($3.4M/yr). Only under-the-cap teams eligible

Edit: Someone beat me to it :)

Sparrowhawk
07-13-2012, 03:10 PM
1st Unit:
Tony
D. Green/G.Neal
K. Leonard
B. Diaw
Tim

2nd Unit:
P. Mills/G. Neal
Manu
SJax
Scola
Tiago

Deep Bench:
Nando De Colo
Bonner

:toast:toast

Would love it, but sounds unlikely :depressed

GB20
07-13-2012, 03:27 PM
1st Unit:
Tony
D. Green/G.Neal
K. Leonard
B. Diaw
Tim

2nd Unit:
P. Mills/G. Neal
Manu
SJax
Scola
Tiago

Deep Bench:
Nando De Colo
Bonner

:drool:

Nathan89
07-13-2012, 03:29 PM
1st Unit:
Tony
D. Green/G.Neal
K. Leonard
B. Diaw
Tim

2nd Unit:
P. Mills/G. Neal
Manu
SJax
Scola
Tiago

Deep Bench:
Nando De Colo
Bonner

The most unlikely part about this post is Neal in the first unit. Barring injury.

deibero
07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
1st Unit:
Tony
D. Green/G.Neal
K. Leonard
B. Diaw
Tim

2nd Unit:
P. Mills/G. Neal
Manu
SJax
Scola
Tiago

Deep Bench:
Nando De Colo
Bonner

denmon also could have a chance to make the team...

CGD
07-13-2012, 03:33 PM
So if Im understanding the time right, there isn't overlapping times when bids could be made for Brand or Scola. Deadline for Brand is today at 5pm EST, while that is the same time the clock starts for Scola, right?

ElNono
07-13-2012, 04:07 PM

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The Dallas Mavericks have successfully claimed Elton Brand off amnesty waivers, a league source tells Y! Sports.

slick'81
07-13-2012, 04:09 PM
now who gets scola?!?

ElNono
07-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Now we wait until Sunday...

temujin
Anytime you have the chance to get a champion on a mission, just do it!

slick'81
Now we wait until Sunday...

now it gets interesting

CGD
07-13-2012, 04:11 PM
now who gets scola?!?

I think the better question right now is: who is left with sizable cap space?

ploto
07-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Depends how much Dallas bid to get Brand.

MR.SILVER&BLack
There are rumors that the Cavs are looking to claim Scola, but its just a rumor.

DJ Mbenga
now who gets scola?!?

bobcats sleepers saying it now

cd98
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Anyone know who the other teams are that could bid for Scola?

ploto
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Brand only cost Dallas $2 million. They still have room for Scola if they will take on 3 years.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
If Scola clears waivers then signs for the vet min with the Lakers, where would it rank on the biggest fuck-you's to the Spurs FO list?

slick'81
07-13-2012, 04:16 PM
just dont c mavs adding scola as well but with cuban u never know .like dj mentioned bobcats need a pf and for cheap could happen

Kindergarten Cop
07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
A quick question to those more knowledgeable about he CBA: Why is there a $3.4M/yr minimum bid on Scola's deal while Brand was had for $2.1M? I know that Brand had 1 yr remaining and Scola had 3, but how are the numbers figured?

slick'81
07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
If Scola clears waivers then signs for the vet min with the Lakers, where would it rank on the biggest fuck-you's to the Spurs FO list?

jax,da, mailman ?!?!

GB20
07-13-2012, 04:18 PM

scola would'n do that to his best friend ginobli and his compadre tiago

angelbelow
07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
A quick question to those more knowledgeable about he CBA: Why is there a $3.4M/yr minimum bid on Scola's deal while Brand was had for $2.1M? I know that Brand had 1 yr remaining and Scola had 3, but how are the numbers figured?

Also from that link:

ElNono
07-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Also

As confirmed by cap guru Larry Coon, a player with a partially guarantee salary requires a minimum bid of the non-guaranteed amount. Scola is set to make $9.4 million and $10.2 million over the next two years. His final season is for $11.0 million with just $1 million guaranteed.

Therefore a minimum amnesty claim for Scola would start at the non-guarantee portion of exactly $10,041,037. That amount needs to be paid over three years, so the lowest claim would be $3,347,012.

Few teams have that kind of cap space which may open the door for Luis to clear waivers completely.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/amnesty-claim-on-scola-prohibitive

Kindergarten Cop
All of Dallas' recent moves are all one year deals, so I don't see them bidding on Scola and taking a chunk out of next year's cap space.

ploto

Minimum bid for Brand was vet minimum or about $1.3 million since he only has one year left on his contract.

Minimum bid for Scola is the non guaranteed part of his contract which is $10 million the last year of his deal. So the bid for him is the $10 million divided by the 3 years.

Kindergarten Cop
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Also

Minimum bid for Brand was vet minimum or about $1.3 million since he only has one year left on his contract.

Minimum bid for Scola is the non guaranteed part of his contract which is $10 million the last year of his deal. So the bid for him is the $10 million divided by the 3 years.

ploto
07-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Would a Howard trade cause Dallas to be more willing to bid on Scola if it means Howard will not be available next summer.

Bruno
07-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Brand's bid might be a good sight that cola won't be claimed. No teams were ready to get Brand for more than $2.1M/1 year which makes it unlikely that a team will be ready to get Scola with a $10M/3 years contract.

I'm not sure whether or not Scola clearing waivers would be a good news for Spurs. On the one hand, it will gives Spurs a shot at getting him. On the other hand, a team like Lakers will also have that shot to get him.

slick'81
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Brand's bid might be a good sight that cola won't be claimed. No teams were ready to get Brand for more than $2.1M/1 year which makes it unlikely that a team will be ready to get Scola with a $10M/3 years contract.

I'm not sure whether or not Scola clearing waivers would be a good news for Spurs. On the one hand, it will gives Spurs a shot at getting him. On the other hand, a team like Lakers will also have that shot to get him.

agreed teams arent looking for a 3 year rental even for 10mil when scola can just clear and become a fa.Now whether or not going to the spurs is a no brainer like some have said is another story

yavozerb
07-13-2012, 04:45 PM

How long does it usually take to go through waivers?

Bruno
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
How long does it usually take to go through waivers?

Scola will clear waivers (or not) Sunday at 5 pm ET:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6024251&postcount=182

Bruno
07-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Now whether or not going to the spurs is a no brainer like some have said is another story

The no-brainer part is Spurs going after him. After that, it will be in Scola hands and it will heavily depend on what are the true feelings Scola has towards Spurs.

GB20
07-13-2012, 04:51 PM
if scola does not get claimed by Sunday, who is going to make the call? Pop? Manu? RC? Oberto? Tiago? El nono?

ElNono
07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
if scola does not get claimed by Sunday, who is going to make the call? Pop? Manu? RC? Oberto? Tiago? El nono?

I could call if needed, tbh, IMOOOOOO

CGD
07-13-2012, 05:16 PM
How many roster spots are even open right now? If Scola is signed, by my count that puts the Spurs over 15.

yavozerb
07-13-2012, 05:17 PM
How many roster spots are even open right now? If Scola is signed, by my count that puts the Spurs over 15.

I only count 13...Did you count Denmon?

Nathan89
07-13-2012, 05:27 PM

We will make space.

Brand's bid for 1 year indicates that Scola should make it through the process. But teams do stupid things.

If Scola is the a competitor like other NBA Argentina players he won't sign with LA. He'll only play limited minutes with LA. With the Spurs he could conceivably win the starting spot and is guaranteed 24 minutes playing time per game.

Nathan89
07-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Who were the other bidders? Public info?

Duncan2177
07-13-2012, 05:43 PM
I just don't see Scola picking the lakers over the spurs. I think Scola would want to play with his close friends Manu and Tiago.

timvp
07-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I might actually have to break out the praying dog for this . . .

Mel_13
07-13-2012, 05:57 PM
I have a bad feeling that he'll wind up with the Mavs.

DesignatedT
07-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Scola and Brand?

Mel_13
07-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Scola and Brand?

Cuban likes to look smart. They pissed away a chance to defend their title in order to create cap space to go after a big star. They whiffed on Deron Williams and watched JET and Kidd follow Chandler, Butler, and JJB out of town. Then these big name players get amnestied and he's able to use the cap space created for Williams to snatch them up at a bargain price. It won't be too long before we hear from him about how this was part of the plan all along.

And he would keep Scola from joining up with Manu and Tiago in San Antonio.

angelbelow
07-13-2012, 06:03 PM
This is like 2005 all over again. The mythical internet creature who is Scola may finally join the San Antonio Spurs.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 06:11 PM

From a team standpoint, I think they're set as far as PFs go... Kaman, Dirk, Brand... they're really lacking on the SG department... If they're going after, say, Belinelli, Scola isn't an option for them...

MmP
07-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Wow, I never thought that the actual chance of Scola joining the Spurs might open up again.
Regarding Luis, I assume some doesn't really know Scola's game. He's the ultimate competitor. If he joins the Spurs he'll be an instant fan favorite.

And I think he loves SA, he has always said his hero has always been TD, he always looked after him. Other than that I couldn't really say if he has some resentment about 2005, if it's not the case I'd say he's a Spur by next week.

Another good indicator of general argentine player thought about the Spurs is that Nocioni, not long ago, said that he'd love to play for the Spurs because of the system that benefits players like him, who plays euro type of basketball. So I'd say that most of the national argentine players believe the Spurs are a good franchise to be at. :tu

Mel_13
07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
From a team standpoint, I think they're set as far as PFs go... Kaman, Dirk, Brand... they're really lacking on the SG department... If they're going after, say, Belinelli, Scola isn't an option for them...

All that makes sense.

ploto
07-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Or it was just a smart bid by Dallas. Brand make it public that he did not want certain teams to bid for him.

You also have to realize that it is the same team that bid enough for Brand.

Big P
07-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Cuban likes to look smart. They pissed away a chance to defend their title in order to create cap space to go after a big star. They whiffed on Deron Williams and watched JET and Kidd follow Chandler, Butler, and JJB out of town. Then these big name players get amnestied and he's able to use the cap space created for Williams to snatch them up at a bargain price. It won't be too long before we hear from him about how this was part of the plan all along.

Not sure that cuban would want to risk losing caproom to take on Scolas 3 years....dallas is still fantasizing that they can get dwight and CP3 next year...signing scola for 3 years would screw that up.

slick'81
07-13-2012, 06:29 PM
http://www.jumpshot.sg/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/913650-luis-scola.jpg

MmP
07-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Do you all remember that Manu is with Scola at Arg training camp, right? For like a month

Duncan2177
07-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Do you all remember that Manu is with Scola at Arg training camp, right? For like a month

I think that's a good indication he will sign with the spurs.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-13-2012, 06:46 PM

Cuban seems to be ONLY looking to the horizon the past two FA/trade periods. I see that continuing as he futilely chases CP3 next summer.

MmP
07-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I think that's a good indication he will sign with the spurs.
Nah, I meant that if Scola has any kind of doubt where he should sign, Manu could be a factor.

timvp
07-13-2012, 06:51 PM
One thing I've always wondered is how much Manu truly likes Scola. Because if Manu REALLY wanted him on the Spurs, he could have petitioned harder for the Spurs and Scola to come to an agreement back in the day. Tbh, I never remember Manu getting involved at all. Even Parker was on both sides selling Diaw to the Spurs and the Spurs to Diaw.

Instead, the Spurs mysteriously pass on Scola and signed Oberto, who supposedly Manu really, really wanted . . .

slick'81
07-13-2012, 06:54 PM
One thing I've always wondered is how much Manu truly likes Scola. Because if Manu REALLY wanted him on the Spurs, he could have petitioned harder for the Spurs and Scola to come to an agreement back in the day. Tbh, I never remember Manu getting involved at all. Even Parker was on both sides selling Diaw to the Spurs and the Spurs to Diaw.

Instead, the Spurs mysteriously pass on Scola and signed Oberto, who supposedly Manu really, really wanted . . .

make it stop lol no more scola:bang

TD 21
07-13-2012, 06:55 PM

Well said. :lol

But Scola really makes no sense for them on so many levels. One, they don't need another big who lacks mobility and athleticism. Two, their big rotation should be set and though overrated, it's formidable. Three, he'd eat into their cap space for next summer, when they'll make futile attempts to land Howard and Paul.

I definitely wouldn't put it past them to bid for him (that's not saying much, considering arguably the most credible source is reporting they will), but I think they may just attempt to re-sign West to a 1 year deal and call it an off season.

MajorMike
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Scola wouldn't sign with the Spurs because Scola had a 3M buyout that he didn't want to pay and the Spurs got tired of waiting for him so they signed Oberto and traded his rights away after waiting 5 years for him. It is widely believed that the Rockets went under the table and illegally paid his $3M buyout, which NBA teams are forbidden from doing - they can only pay $500k. It got paid somehow, either the Rocjets paid it themselves or they gave Scola the cash to go do it so it looked up and up, but it just sort of went away overnight.

Regardless, Scola signed the new big contract after he was drafted by the Spurs and tried to force the Spurs to pay him enough to cover buyout and they wouldn't and they washed their hands of someone who was being a little b!tch.

It all ended up being a salary dump because Butler was a 2M expiring contract and Spanoulis went back to Greece, with Fab being a decent and cheap backup.

Irregardless, Scola would not have been the missing link and has done nothing mre than be a nice starter with some occassionally solid games. Blair's per 36 are actually better than Scola's (DB - 15/11, LS - 14/8)

ElNono
07-13-2012, 07:15 PM

They're supposedly good friends. Manu, though, is much more quiet about speaking his mind. ie: You'll never hear Manu telling Craig Sager "he's is emailing every day about rebounding better" :lol

rascal
07-13-2012, 07:21 PM

Scola will be on the Spurs. Brand will be with Dallas.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Supposedly, the Rockets got a shoe sponsorship (ANTA shoes) deal for Luis through Yao Ming, who was a Rocket back then, and ANTA provided most of the money for the Baskonia buyout...

angelbelow
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM

I question how much Manu participates in off court activities during the offseason. Just doesn't seem like the person who gets involved with that kind of stuff.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Scola would make a good backup to Matty, tbh...

slick'81
07-13-2012, 08:19 PM
The Mavs are still interested in Luis Scola despite picking up Elton Brand off the amnesty wire on Friday.

Had the Mavs not acquired Elton Brand for just $2.1 million, we'd be more inclined to shoot this report down. If the rest of the league is asleep at the switch or cannot afford an offer on Scola, the Mavs may just get lucky, but it makes sense that a team with a greater need in their frontcourt antes up.

Source: ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4690930/source-mavs-still-interested-in-luis-scola?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

SA210
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Scola would make a good backup to Matty, tbh...

fify

SA210
07-13-2012, 08:51 PM
The Mavs are still interested in Luis Scola despite picking up Elton Brand off the amnesty wire on Friday.

Had the Mavs not acquired Elton Brand for just $2.1 million, we'd be more inclined to shoot this report down. If the rest of the league is asleep at the switch or cannot afford an offer on Scola, the Mavs may just get lucky, but it makes sense that a team with a greater need in their frontcourt antes up.

Source: ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4690930/source-mavs-still-interested-in-luis-scola?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

:lol