PDA

View Full Version : Want a defensive big? Darko just got amnestied...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-12-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure how you fit him into the rotation given that Splitter will be backup C and Darko is a true C (can't play PF - too slow, offensively challenged), but if you're clamoring for a defensive big at a low price, Darko is you man.

As has been discussed ad nauseum, the guy who'd fit the team perfectly is Ilyasova (can rebound and hit 3s - he's a fusion of Bonner and Blair, but better because you get both skillsets in one player), but that's not going to happen given that Bucks wouldn't take Bonner+Grizz+Neal+pick (although that isn't a terrible offer).

Back to Darko - 6th big on a min contract? Maybe, but I don't think it helps the team, so unlikely. It'll be interesting to see who takes him for cheap off the wire though.

bigfan
07-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Weve always done best when we had a true center type (David, Rasho and even Nazi, or Elson). We need a guy like Darko/Haywood/Brown, not a Scola.

Mel_13
07-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Weve always done best when we had a true center type (David, Rasho and even Nazi, or Elson).

That was back when Tim was a PF.

Spur|n|Austin
07-12-2012, 10:10 PM
That was back when Tim was a PF.

ploto
07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I just might die laughing if Darko ends up a Spur!

Borosai
07-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Hide your mothers and sisters. And grandmas, just in case.

slick'81
07-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrkkko

BackHome
07-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Well we sure as hell need someone than 6'9 Boner or 6'6 Blair at the center position!!:bang

szkorhetz
07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Instant get.

Andthentherewas21
07-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Well we sure as hell need someone than 6'9 Boner or 6'6 Blair at the center position!!:bang

Pretty sure both Duncan and Splitter qualify. What we need is someone that can defend mobile PFs. Pretty sure Darko isn't your man.

BatManu20
07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Someone will claim him. We couldn't afford him anyways.

ivanfromwestwood
07-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Human victory cigar. I say do it!

Mark in Austin
07-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Never thought I'd see the day where Darko vs Kwame Brown is a legit conversation for Spurs fans to be having. Gotta love this league...

Andthentherewas21
07-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Never thought I'd see the day where Darko vs Kwame Brown is a legit conversation for Spurs fans to be having. Gotta love this league...

:rollin True shit

lakerhaterade
07-13-2012, 01:19 AM

Unfortunately it's come down to this. Aside from Tim, all other bigs sucked absolute ass against OKC. So much so that I'd consider Darko as a replacement for Bonner.

We all know what to expect out of Bonner come playoff time. It's the same tune sung every year.

mountainballer
07-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Spurs material?

woWqSmichOo

100%duncan
07-13-2012, 08:07 AM
no

CGD
07-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Wow Darko. Takes it to a whole new level.

temujin
07-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Well, was he talking about Bill Kennedy' and good ole Joey's G6 officiating?

baseline bum
07-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Nice defensive player and all, but the team needs an athletic four badly.

angelbelow
07-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Spurs material?

woWqSmichOo

After all these years, still nasty to listen to.

BatManu20
07-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Spurs material?

woWqSmichOo

This is the kind of 'NASTY' that Pop was referring to in the playoffs! Sign him! :rollin

Russo21
07-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I'd love him on the spurs. He's massive, strong and a pretty good shot blocker. Would be great to put out there when duncan goes to the bench. It was just a year or so ago he averaged over 2 blocks a game, we need that.

He has never been mentored by a player such as Duncan either. Maybe if he signs here it wouldnt be to late to make something of his career.

dunkman
07-13-2012, 11:45 PM
He used to play very well for the Serbian NT. Unfortunately, he got excluded the NT since the incident from that video, I think it was like 3-4 years ago. I guess his problem is really motivation more than talent.

Russo21
07-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Are the subtitles in that video for real or a joke?

If it's real i want that fire and attitude on the spurs lmao go darko

dunkman
07-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Are the subtitles in that video for real or a joke?

If it's real i want that fire and attitude on the spurs lmao go darko

They are real :lol

Wild Cobra Kai
07-14-2012, 08:42 AM
He used to play very well for the Serbian NT. Unfortunately, he got excluded the NT since the incident from that video, I think it was like 3-4 years ago. I guess his problem is really motivation more than talent.

That's always been the knock on him.

To be even a good NBA player, your motivation has to come from within. If you don't have a passion for the game, you'll never be anything but a Darko.

It's always struck me as patently unfair that you have the Darkos of the world, and the Ajincas, drifting through the league and not doing much, and then you have the Blairs, working their asses of with limited physical tools, a big butt, and no knees, and he puts both of them to shame.

dunkman
07-14-2012, 09:50 AM
That's always been the knock on him.

To be even a good NBA player, your motivation has to come from within. If you don't have a passion for the game, you'll never be anything but a Darko.

It's always struck me as patently unfair that you have the Darkos of the world, and the Ajincas, drifting through the league and not doing much, and then you have the Blairs, working their asses of with limited physical tools, a big butt, and no knees, and he puts both of them to shame.

That's true, but Blair doesn't have lateral speed, can't even jump much, nor the wingspan of Darko, so he cant anchor the defense. The Spurs have to play with someone who anchors the defense when Diaw, Bonner, Blair are on the floor, or when they use Leonard or Jack at 4. The problem with Blair is that he doesn't have midrange game, so he can't be used with Splitter. And since he can't defend, he can't be used with Bonner.

With 3 shotblockers, the Spurs also can put 2 centers against certain teams, like the Lakers, and still have someone to anchor the defense when the bench kicks in.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2012, 10:49 AM
When you're looking in the bargain bin for a defensive big, it is what it is.

Biggems
07-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Darko played well next to Love...He will never be great, but he is a decent big man that does one thing we desperately need....he changes shots in the lane, blocking some and altering others. If he can give us that, especially at a minimum salary, it is a win/win for us.

BTW, as desperate as we seem to be, I am surprised not one poster has mentioned Grandpa Oden. I know the mere mention of him would get one laughed off this forum, but he is a legit C......I honestly believe if he were to sit out this entire year and work on his rehab, he could find a new home next year, as an option off the bench and actually play significant minutes, about 15 a game.....and yes, that is significant minutes for him considering how little he has played since being drafted. IMHO, we will never even give him a thought, much less a second thought, but there will be a team that will be desperate enough for his kind of size to throw him a bone.

Vic Petro
07-14-2012, 12:08 PM
BTW, as desperate as we seem to be, I am surprised not one poster has mentioned Grandpa Oden. I know the mere mention of him would get one laughed off this forum, but he is a legit C......I honestly believe if he were to sit out this entire year and work on his rehab, he could find a new home next year, as an option off the bench and actually play significant minutes, about 15 a game.....and yes, that is significant minutes for him considering how little he has played since being drafted. IMHO, we will never even give him a thought, much less a second thought, but there will be a team that will be desperate enough for his kind of size to throw him a bone.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201119

ceperez
07-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Darko is big and athletic enough to play a serviceable role for the Spurs.

He isn't going to be expected to do much, just play defense and hit the ocasional mid range jumper.

ploto
07-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

NBA's 30 teams also notified that Darko Milcic has cleared waivers and is now an unrestricted free agent

Wild Cobra Kai
07-14-2012, 04:21 PM
That's true, but Blair doesn't have lateral speed, can't even jump much, nor the wingspan of Darko, so he cant anchor the defense. The Spurs have to play with someone who anchors the defense when Diaw, Bonner, Blair are on the floor, or when they use Leonard or Jack at 4. The problem with Blair is that he doesn't have midrange game, so he can't be used with Splitter. And since he can't defend, he can't be used with Bonner.

With 3 shotblockers, the Spurs also can put 2 centers against certain teams, like the Lakers, and still have someone to anchor the defense when the bench kicks in.

You completely missed my point. I'm not saying Blair is the answer. He's physically limited in what he can do. What I am saying is that unlike lazy fucks like Darko and Ajinca, Blair has gotten about 95-100% out of what he can do physically. I doubt either of them has crossed 65% on their best days.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 04:24 PM
He's fine for the minimum, but I think he'll go somewhere that he can play.

dunkman
07-14-2012, 04:31 PM
You completely missed my point. I'm not saying Blair is the answer. He's physically limited in what he can do. What I am saying is that unlike lazy fucks like Darko and Ajinca, Blair has gotten about 95-100% out of what he can do physically. I doubt either of them has crossed 65% on their best days.

I understand that, my point is that Darko has still averaged 2 bpg in some seasons.