PDA

View Full Version : Batum shows short-sighted view of situation

tlongII
07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/jul/13/batum-shows-short-sighted-view-of-situation/

He stands at 6-foot-8. He has the wingspan of a 7-footer. Everything about Nicolas Batum says long, long, long.

Except the way he's thinking. That couldn't be much shorter.

For three days now, the Trail Blazers' restricted free agent has been on record saying that his preferred destination is Minnesota. Additionally, his denials of his agent's claims that he wants "no part" of Portland have come with about as much force as an uncontested finger roll.

Obviously, Batum cannot control his feelings. But he can control his actions. And while it's difficult to find many players more graceful than the Frenchman on the basketball court, it's even harder to find one who has been clumsier during this free-agency period.

Before I continue, I should say that I have long commended Batum for his candor and honesty. While most players say what they should think, he typically says what he does think. But like a married man asked by his

wife if her best friend is pretty, sometimes you gotta realize that honesty has its boundaries.

If you have been a Trail Blazer, and realize there is an extraordinary chance you will be a Trail Blazer for years to come, you do not say that you'd prefer to be somewhere else. This might work in Toronto, or Milwaukee, or Charlotte, where fans don't know the player efficiency ratings for their team's backup shooting guard.

But in Portland, where the Rose Garden crowd can make the deaf hear and the hearing deaf, declaring that, while you don't mind it here, you would rather be in Minnesota is like telling your first-born son that, while you love him, you were really hoping for a girl.

It would be one thing if Batum were, say, J.J. Hickson, a player the Blazers rented for 19 games last season and recently signed to a one-year deal. If he made public that Portland was not his ideal location, fans would likely try to win him over.

But Nic has been here for four years. Nic is the player who, halfway through last season, said that he wanted to return to Portland because he felt like it was his second home. Nic is the guy that fans have been clamoring to retain no matter how much Minnesota offers.

But now, Nic is the guy those same fans will bludgeon if he remains a Blazer and doesn't produce.

It's forgivable to fall below expectations when you've appeared enthusiastic from day one. But when a team is paying you $45 million or so, which Portland may have to do to match another suitor's offer, the public is far less understanding if they suspect you're giving 99.99 percent or less.

Rudy Fernandez was never fully embraced after he stated his desire to return to Spain, and the boo birds rained down for four quarters when he came back to the Rose Garden as a Nugget. Raymond Felton, meanwhile, endured one of the more trying seasons in American sports last year when his lack of conditioning turned him into the fans' and media's piñata for four months.

That was tough to watch. But Nic should take note — the one thing worse than overweight … is overpaid.

Given the near circus-like level the Batum saga has reached with all of Minnesota's posturing and pump-faking, we still don't know where the 23-year-old will end up. But either way, Nic should start asking for forgiveness immediately.

Whether it's through Twitter or the media, he needs to send the people of Rose City figurative bouquets and chocolates every day. He should recount his favorite memories from his time with the team, recite his favorite things about the town, and reiterate the inimitable nature of the Rose Garden crowd.

Why he decided to go public with his thoughts about Minnesota, I can't say. He could have expressed those opinions to Blazers general manager Neil Olshey exclusively if he thought it would sway his opinion.

But now, given the likelihood of his return, he needs to clean up this mess so his fans can clean out their memory banks.

If not, no matter how much he struggles over the next four years, he's going to earn his money.

Bill_Brasky
07-13-2012, 01:08 PM
:cry Why doesn't Batum wanna waste his career :cry

tlongII
07-13-2012, 01:13 PM
:cry Why doesn't Batum wanna waste his career :cry

He wouldn't be waisting his career here. We're putting together a nice nucleas. It might take a couple years to gel, but it will get there.

Mel_13
07-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Canzano: Nicolas Batum is doing Trail Blazers a favor, whether or not fans like it

So let me get this straight: Restricted free agent Nicolas Batum is being brutally honest with us all. He would like to play alongside a talented point guard. He's been frustrated by his role with the Trail Blazers, and wants to do more than stand in the corner, shooting threes. He dreams about playing on a team run by a creative, experienced and offensive-minded head coach.

And we're all upset with him? For telling the truth? Feels like we've got this Batum thing all wrong.

Batum's agent, Bouna Ndiaye, went public with the news that Batum hasn't been thrilled about the way things have gone the past few years in Portland. I believe I can speak for the good people of Portland when I say: Ain't it the truth, bub. Missing the playoffs is a drag. Watching a dream disintegrate is a bummer. Watching the Blazers run around, defensive about their flaws, ignorant to the truth, busy repeating the same stubborn mistakes, is a tired routine.

A talented point guard? An experienced, creative coach? Batum playing loose and free in transition? Where do we sign up? And why does that have to exist in Minnesota and not Portland?

Batum just requested the characteristics we all plainly wish the Blazers would adopt. This organization has been as much fun as a paper cut on your eyeball in the past few years. It's become progressively more painful, too. And really, what we're talking about isn't Batum unfairly slamming Portland, but a pretty well-grounded free agent telling owner Paul Allen and GM Neil Olshey that if you want players with options to pick Portland you'd better get on with making the Blazers locker room more fun than a bus stop.

Batum's agent has laid out the options for Portland. He'd like the Blazers to help usher Batum's career to Minnesota, via a sign and trade, where he can join coach Rick Adelman, point guard Ricky Rubio and All-Star Kevin Love. Either that, or he wants the Blazers to not match the Timberwolves' four-year, $45 million offer. Or if those two don't happen, Ndiaye said his client might only play one more season in Portland and leave as an unrestricted free agent. The Blazers, meanwhile, insist they'll match any offer sheet.

Definitely some bluffing going on here. But, Batum feels like a guy telling the truth about the Blazers, doesn't he?

Batum would like it if Blazers fans didn't take any of this rejection personally. Can't help him there. But I can ask that we all take a step back and wonder if maybe the right course of action here isn't to get angry, punish Batum and disparage the guy for being disloyal to the team that drafted him, but to empathize with him, listen to him, and hope Portland's front office gets Batum's message loud and clear.

Free agents with options do not want to come to Portland. We've known this for some time. Batum is only the latest reminder. The free-agent snub been mostly blamed on the weather, small market-size and lack of diversity in this region. Really, it's none of those things. Mrs. Turkoglu was only the messenger, people. Players want to make money, get minutes, have fun, and feel like they can win a championship. If you can guarantee those things to a free agent, you could set up an NBA franchise at the North Pole, rename the city "Misery" and you'd have small forwards crowing, "I'm going to take my talents to Misery."

Portland hasn't been a fun place to be a fan in all but about two of the past nine years. I can't imagine that the players were having a blast with seven lottery trips, thinking, "You know, I could stay here forever if they'd have me." Allen is a multi-billionaire surrounded by advisers and managers who tell him what he wants to hear. Outside of Allen's sister, Jody Patton, I'm not sure if there's anyone around Allen capable of truly being uncomfortably honest. As much as Batum's criticism feels personal to fans, to Allen, who believed so deeply in Batum, it must especially burn. To Olshey, who is new here, it must be confusing.

Batum is saying that he would rather join a franchise that plays its games in an igloo and is a perennial loser than stay in Portland another minute. He's saying he wants an experienced coach, who will open up the offense and utilize the creative talents of players. He's saying that playing alongside a talented point guard would be a rush. And what the Blazers owner needs to do right now is listen to Batum. Then, have his GM go make those things happen in Portland.

The way I see it, Batum just did us all a favor.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2012/07/canzano_nicolas_batum_is_doing.html

Juggity
07-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Given how inept the Blazers' medical staff is, Batum is probably worried that the next contract he signs with portland will be the last contract he ever signs.

DPG21920
07-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Blazers are a bad franchise.

baseline bum
07-13-2012, 02:15 PM
tl;dr

pass1st
07-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Batum is doing himself a favor. Your team has the most incompetent medical staff in the NBA, tlong. Any player in that team with major minutes has a serious risk for injury that is far above the average NBA players'.

They should be forced to fire their staff and bring in people who don't think knees can be fixed with scotch tape & rubber cement.

Banzai
07-13-2012, 02:28 PM
beerr bitches

slick'81
07-13-2012, 02:30 PM
lol blazers suck hard core balls