PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will stay with what they got

Mhak
07-13-2012, 02:24 PM
I do not think the spurs will sign anymore free agents. They will evaluate in what they got and hope to find a gem on the rough the summer league. Also, I think spurs moves will come through trade in the middle of the season. Don't be surprise this will happen. GO SPURS GO.:toast

z0sa
07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah, agreed.. you don't want to be like 95% of the fans here last season and totally give up on the team before the trade deadline only to hop back on the wagon when they start winning and/or make a big trade.

slick'81
07-13-2012, 02:31 PM
no, spurs will sift thru what clears waivers and add a cheap vet big for the front court thus finally ridding themselves of the faggot that is matt bonner :downspin:

Mhak
07-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Bonner in full effect!!!! Damn i hate his game...........:depressed

tdunk21
07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Its a given and we should get used to it by now.....I wonder how long the FO will drag this same team without a defending big...When you sign tim for 3 more years, you should get him help.

Duncan2177
no, spurs will sift thru what clears waivers and add a cheap vet big for the front court thus finally ridding themselves of the faggot that is matt bonner :downspin:

:tu

Solid D
There is only one way to get their extra Big, now, considering their salary cap position.

http://www.weeklyvolcano.com/restaurants/grocery-stories/2010/10/Big-Lots/uploads/articles/11858-banner-Grocery-stories625.jpg

Mhak
07-13-2012, 02:46 PM
There is only one way to get their extra Big, now, considering their salary cap position.

http://www.weeklyvolcano.com/restaurants/grocery-stories/2010/10/Big-Lots/uploads/articles/11858-banner-Grocery-stories625.jpg

:lol

Poolboy5623
07-13-2012, 04:10 PM
I dont think the Spurs have much of a choice? It should be obvious(by now) to most everyone on here that:
1) They dont have any $$
2) No FA wants to live/play in SA, especially when it means taking a pay cut
3) No team wants any of the Spurs "available" pieces via trade...

So, its not like they are choosing to stay put..they just dont have any other options. This is why they are signing the guys they already have. If they didnt push to do this, they would lose those players and have lesser replacements..oh well, atleast I saw 4 titles.

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-13-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't understand how Bonner could be so bad...

He has the size to do damage, but his mentality is that of a teenage girl who
is noticing her breasts growing for the first time.

For instance, last year they passed to him at the baseline for a 3, and he faked his defender into the 3rd row, opening up the clearest lane to the hoop I've ever seen..
He runs towards the hope but midway through the baseline, he puts up a little floater with no-one defending him, and it misses..

Now, I'm not asking for a thunderous dunk, but at least take that shit to the cup.
This guy is 6'10, and he's built.. he is just a textbook pussyfart.

BatManu20
07-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Spurs will stick with this same exact team and lose again in the WCF again next year, if not the 2nd round.

Definition of 'Insanity': Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. -Einstein

trollt
07-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Predicting the Spurs would make the WCF last December might have been considered Insanity back then

Solid D
07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Spurs will stick with this same exact team and lose again in the WCF again next year, if not the 2nd round.

Definition of 'Insanity': Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. -Einstein

Each season has its own set of surprises, twists and turns.

People seldom remember predictions...except at SpursTalk.

rascal
07-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Agree
Going with the same team won't get them to the finals. Last year the road was setup and open for a finals run and they could not get there.
They just had to beat one tough playoff opponent and could not.

I don't see the Spurs getting past the 2nd round with the same team.

Poolboy5623
07-13-2012, 07:38 PM
So this spurs team ISN'T going to challenge the bulls 72 win season?? I agree on the playoff predictions but who knows..it'll be real interesting to see how this team comes out the first 20-30 games though after the embarrassing debacle against OKC.

Drz
07-13-2012, 07:52 PM
For instance, last year they passed to him at the baseline for a 3, and he faked his defender into the 3rd row, opening up the clearest lane to the hoop I've ever seen..

He runs towards the hope but midway through the baseline, he puts up a little floater with no-one defending him, and it misses..

Now, I'm not asking for a thunderous dunk, but at least take that shit to the cup.
As I think everyone knows, Bonner trains his off. And while that's great, the problem there is that other than being tall, I bet his normal untrained human self isn't any more athletic than you and I. So the speed and athleticism we see in Bonner is what you get if a normal, avg.-athletic-ability male works his ass off every day to become an NBA player. You can only increase your speed so much.

Make no mistake, Bonner would crush every single one of us on this board in a footrace. But on an NBA court against a shit-ton of natural athletes, he's going to look (and be) slow.

TimmehC
07-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Some team will probably get desperate at the trade deadline, and the Spurs will take advantage. Until then, rolling with the team that was 2 wins from the Finals isn't exactly a bad thing.

ohmwrecker
07-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Really going out on a limb here, eh?

ElNono
07-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Matty isn't cashing 3+ million a year to crush your average citizen on a footrace though. He's getting paid as if he can be competitive in the shit-ton of natural athletes league.

Sean Cagney
07-13-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't understand how Bonner could be so bad...

He has the size to do damage, but his mentality is that of a teenage girl who
is noticing her breasts growing for the first time.

This will never change so I don't even know why the hell we bother even talking about it anymore (Bonner) nor thinking it will change. He is what he is, he sucks.

tesseractive
07-13-2012, 08:14 PM

Definition of stupidity: taking a very good team and blowing it up every year you don't win the title.

You don't get better by making moves for the sake of making moves, or by overpaying for the least crappy castoff you can find that will sign with you. You do it by only making moves when they actually make sense, even if it means appearing to move slowly and waiting out other teams.

Drz
07-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Matty isn't cashing 3+ million a year to crush your average citizen on a footrace though. He's getting paid as if he can be competitive in the shit-ton of natural athletes league.
He's getting paid to space the floor by being a slow tall guy who can shoot 3's. Given that he was the Spurs #1 adj. plus/minus leader last year, I'd say he's earning his salary.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
He's getting paid to space the floor by being a slow tall guy who can shoot 3's. Given that he was the Spurs #1 adj. plus/minus leader last year, I'd say he's earning his salary.

This is when I reply "not when it matters", and then we go back and forth and finally settle with "we disagree" :lol

Keepin' it real
07-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Sounds like a successful season to me. They're now SEVEN seasons removed from their best player being in his prime. They've kept the core of the team intact for a decade. Yet, two more wins and some questionable officiating are the only things that stood between the Spurs and the NBA finals.

To still be playing this well is a great accomplishment. I'll take it over the alternative, which is being lottery-bound year after year.

Juventini
07-13-2012, 09:10 PM

Pounding the rock : Doing the same thing over and over until it works. The fact that we didn't win it all does not mean we couldn't won it all. The last time we broke up the team that went to WCF was in 2008 and look what happen the next 3-4 years.

SpurPadre
07-13-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm willing to wait until the trade deadline but each second Bonner is still with the team is just fucking torture. Whatever happens during the season, is there any chance a team would take him in a trade at the deadline? Or is Neal and/or Blair pretty much our only trade pieces we will have?

spurs1990
07-13-2012, 09:51 PM
If that's the case let's see where we stand:

PG] Parker (1) Mills (2) De Colo (3) Joseph (4)
SG] Ginobili (5) Green (6) Neal (7)
SF] Jackson (8) Leonard (9)
PF] Duncan (10) Bonner (11)
C] Diaw (12) Splitter (13) Blair (14)

That leaves the 15th spot for Denmon or an anonymous big.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-13-2012, 10:01 PM

He does rock the +/-. People say he makes others better by standing still 25 feet from the basket, but to me, that just goes against all common sense.

He helps others by standing around on the job?

To me players who make other players better impact statistics in many areas, not just +/-. I would argue that instead of making others better - others make him look better than he is. When paired with the Big 3 (a hall of fame trio) and drawing his man out of the paint slightly, he allows other good players to play well. But does he actually consistently make significant plays on his own? Of course not. He's a nice guy. But a robot who plays mechanically at best, like a wuss at worst.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-13-2012, 10:22 PM

It'll be a team with all of the players with it from day one, and a full training camp for everyone.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see any of the following players gone in trade:

Blair
Neal
Bonner

and if Scola clears waivers and signs...

Splitter

Poolboy5623
07-13-2012, 10:29 PM
What do you guys really think they're going to get for Blair?? If it was anything more than a washing machine don't you think he'd be gone already...he's on the team because no one has offered them squat! Why would that change all of a sudden?

Wild Cobra Kai
07-13-2012, 11:01 PM
What do you guys really think they're going to get for Blair?? If it was anything more than a washing machine don't you think he'd be gone already...he's on the team because no one has offered them squat! Why would that change all of a sudden?

Apparently, they're asking for a 1st rounder, according to GS. They'll likely settle for less.

BackHome
07-14-2012, 12:46 AM

No way in hell is Joseph on the team if he is then we know RC is hitting the good stuff.

Please for the love of God get rid of Boner!!

spurs1990
07-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Assuming no further changes are made, the Spurs will 13 of the 14 from the 2012 roster coming back for 2013, (just swapping out Anderson for De Colo).

If that's the case I would think that's a first in modern day NBA.

racm
07-14-2012, 01:01 AM
The 2012 roster was one of the best in Spurs history, even with Ginger Choker on board.

Can't be worse than the 2004 roster, tbh...

spurs1990
07-14-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm not following. That '04 team was nice.

In addition to the big 3 and Bruce, you had Rasho, Malik, Robert Horry, Mercer and Hedo.... Uh okay maybe not then.

racm
07-14-2012, 02:51 AM
04 squad was solid but also had a 6'10" choker... right... :lol

lakerhaterade
07-14-2012, 03:05 AM
I don't know how people bitch about a roster that got us to a WCF.

If the Thunder role player didn't play out of their mind, we would have seen the Spurs in the finals with a chance against Miami.

Staying with what we got (exception of Bonner being a part of this roster) bodes well for the short term future. This is it. Live with it.

Plumblbw
07-14-2012, 05:17 AM
"Definition of 'Insanity': Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. -Einstein"

Well mate, this isn't strictly true when you consider the variables are potentially different. The likes of Boris, Kawhi and Tiago will have a full training camp to become more acclimatised to the system. Our rotation could look different with Mills potentially getting the backup PG minutes instead of Neal. Green might be more consistent and allow for Manu to stay with the second unit etc...

There's other factors to consider such as matchups and injuries. OKC might get knocked off by another team before we play them.

Also, as The Cobra mentioned a few posts earlier the Spurs aren't necessarily done making moves.

rascal
07-14-2012, 05:34 AM
"Definition of 'Insanity': Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. -Einstein"

Well mate, this isn't strictly true when you consider the variables are potentially different. The likes of Boris, Kawhi and Tiago will have a full training camp to become more acclimatised to the system. Our rotation could look different with Mills potentially getting the backup PG minutes instead of Neal. Green might be more consistent and allow for Manu to stay with the second unit etc...

There's other factors to consider such as matchups and injuries. OKC might get knocked off by another team before we play them.

Also, as The Cobra mentioned a few posts earlier the Spurs aren't necessarily done making moves.

But manu and Duncan could offset all the positives and further decline. Also other teams will be upgraded and better. And that is not taking into account possible injuries to key players.

Every year is different.

rascal
07-14-2012, 05:37 AM
I don't know how people bitch about a roster that got us to a WCF.

If the Thunder role player didn't play out of their mind, we would have seen the Spurs in the finals with a chance against Miami.

Staying with what we got (exception of Bonner being a part of this roster) bodes well for the short term future. This is it. Live with it.

Favorable matchups got he Spurs to the WCF. They don't reach the WCF if they had to take the road OK City had. No coincidence the first tough playoff team the spurs faced they lose.

rascal
07-14-2012, 05:39 AM

You need to exchange Denmon for Joeseph.

Plumblbw
07-14-2012, 05:43 AM
But manu and Duncan could offset all the positives and further decline. Also other teams will be upgraded and better. And that is not taking into account possible injuries to key players.

Every year is different.

I think that's what makes every year exciting and the hope for something special. You never know what could happen (unless a team has an atrocious roster like last year's Bobcats team of course!).

sananspursfan21
07-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Bonner in full effect!!!! Damn i hate his game...........:depressed

his game could save if he was clutch. statistically, his post d while ugly, is superb. if he could hit 3s when it counted or in the postseason at all, we would be adoring the red out of his stupid little head

Wild Cobra Kai
07-14-2012, 07:46 AM
You need to exchange Denmon for Joeseph.

Joseph has a guaranteed contract. They're not going to just eat that money, even if it means another year in Austin, and eventual dismissal next summer.

Drz
07-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Favorable matchups got he Spurs to the WCF. They don't reach the WCF if they had to take the road OK City had. No coincidence the first tough playoff team the spurs faced they lose.
What makes you say this? In the first round, the Spurs beat a 36-30 Jazz team while the Thunder beat a 36-30 Mavs team. In the second round, the Spurs beat a 40-26 Clippers team while the Thunder beat a 41-25 Lakers team.

I suspect you're looking just at the names on the opponents' jerseys (Mavs, Lakers) and not at how good they actually were.

Drz
07-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Joseph has a guaranteed contract. They're not going to just eat that money, even if it means another year in Austin, and eventual dismissal next summer.
I don't think so. Joseph's guaranteed money isn't all that much. I think if they find Denmon (or any other player) to be substantially better, they'd be fine with cutting Joseph loose.

The Spurs FO doesn't seem like the type that makes moves with the idea just being to save face. They actually kind of seem like the opposite, like they don't give a flying **** about what the rest of the world thinks (in a good way).

Mel_13
07-14-2012, 01:02 PM
I don't think so. Joseph's guaranteed money isn't all that much. I think if they find Denmon (or any other player) to be substantially better, they'd be fine with cutting Joseph loose. The Spurs FO doesn't seem like the type that makes moves with the idea just being to save face.

No need to cut Joseph loose if they want to sign Denmon. They have the roster space.

therealtruth
07-14-2012, 01:10 PM
This has got to be the year that Pop goes back to focusing on defense. With Green, Leonard, Diaw, TP, TD we should be able to play good defense. No more RJ and Blair in the SL to weaken the defense. We just need to practice playing good defense and we've got to stop giving up open shots. We have good enough defenders to not have to allow non contested shots.

BackHome
07-14-2012, 01:16 PM

I think he is saying "Joseph sucks and RC was stupid to draft him and he should play in the D-League for another three years before we even look at him". So scratch his name off the Spurs roster spot...I am just guessing.....:hat

Drz
07-14-2012, 01:26 PM
The Joseph pick, even at the time, was the most puzzling Spurs pick in the past 10 years. Even though Anderson didn't work out, that was as much due to the injury as anything else, and it's easy to go back and understand why they did it.

With Joseph, nobody really seems to have any idea what they were thinking or why they did it. The Spurs have long had godfather status with their draft picks, meaning, it seems like any pick they make must be right, even if nobody else knows or understands why. But Joseph was the first head-scratcher.

Obviously we all hope we're proven wrong, as has happened many times before.

Poolboy5623
07-14-2012, 02:33 PM
What makes you say this? In the first round, the Spurs beat a 36-30 Jazz team while the Thunder beat a 36-30 Mavs team. In the second round, the Spurs beat a 40-26 Clippers team while the Thunder beat a 41-25 Lakers team.

I suspect you're looking just at the names on the opponents' jerseys (Mavs, Lakers) and not at how good they actually were.

Just stop already...if your a TRUE Spurs fan you should know by now that reg. season records dont mean all too much when the real season(playoffs) start. You should know its about matchups and as far as last year is concerened, the Spurs had the easiest set of matchups Ive seen yet, in getting to the WCF. Not only that but they had health! Who knows though, maybe lightening will strike twice lol:lmao

Poolboy5623
07-14-2012, 02:36 PM
The Joseph pick, even at the time, was the most puzzling Spurs pick in the past 10 years. Even though Anderson didn't work out, that was as much due to the injury as anything else, and it's easy to go back and understand why they did it.

With Joseph, nobody really seems to have any idea what they were thinking or why they did it. The Spurs have long had godfather status with their draft picks, meaning, it seems like any pick they make must be right, even if nobody else knows or understands why. But Joseph was the first head-scratcher.

Obviously we all hope we're proven wrong, as has happened many times before.

The times have changed, keep in mind. For the Spurs, finding a diamond in the rough isnt nowhere near as probable as it was a decade ago. The Spurs had a big hand in setting the eruo flavor in the NBA but those times are gone as are the "secret" players only a few know of.

Poolboy5623
07-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Apparently, they're asking for a 1st rounder, according to GS. They'll likely settle for less.

Yeah, thats the "rumor"..but if that was even talked about Im sure GS laughed at it- My question was more towards the audience...every thread I read has something about Neal, Bonner and Blair being traded..? LOL maybe the reason these guys still play for the Spurs is that they are stuck with them and keeping them vs. cutting them and having nothing is better for the team..kind of..(sometimes I really think I could do better)-

rascal
07-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Just stop already...if your a TRUE Spurs fan you should know by now that reg. season records dont mean all too much when the real season(playoffs) start. You should know its about matchups and as far as last year is concerened, the Spurs had the easiest set of matchups Ive seen yet, in getting to the WCF. Not only that but they had health! Who knows though, maybe lightening will strike twice lol:lmao

Good post. Utah was a borderline playoff team and The Clippers were banged up and a good matchup for the spurs.

No way the Spurs sweep the lakers like they did the Clippers regardless on how close the lakers and Clippers regular season records were.

therealtruth
07-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Good post. Utah was a borderline playoff team and The Clippers were banged up and a good matchup for the spurs.

No way the Spurs sweep the lakers like they did the Clippers regardless on how close the lakers and Clippers regular season records were.

The Spurs destroyed the Lakers in the regular season. At worst it's 4-1.

racm
07-14-2012, 08:23 PM
SA 84-98 LAL, MWP - 26 points, Bynum - 30 rebounds
LAL 91-112 SA, Parker - 29 points/13 assists
SA 121-97 LAL, Big 3 all score 20+.

rascal
07-14-2012, 08:44 PM

2 games to 1 is not destroying anything.

The playoffs are a different season. Can't extrapolate the regular season into the playoffs. Can't take much of anything out of the compressed regular season, with injuries and teams on back to backs ect.

therealtruth
07-14-2012, 10:34 PM
2 games to 1 is not destroying anything.

The playoffs are a different season. Can't extrapolate the regular season into the playoffs. Can't take much of anything out of the compressed regular season, with injuries and teams on back to backs ect.

Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. If you watched OKC play the Lakers in the regular season you would have known they would have no trouble with the Lakers in the playoffs. I think the same would have held for us. You can play better defense and shots can fall but you really can't change your strengths and weaknesses in the playoffs.

rascal
07-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. If you watched OKC play the Lakers in the regular season you would have known they would have no trouble with the Lakers in the playoffs. I think the same would have held for us. You can play better defense and shots can fall but you really can't change your strengths and weaknesses in the playoffs.

And the Spurs were 2-1 against OK City during the regular season.
Can't take anything out of it.

therealtruth
07-15-2012, 12:34 PM
And the Spurs were 2-1 against OK City during the regular season.
Can't take anything out of it.

And they were 2-0 after the first two games and probably would have won the series if they hadn't collapsed after game 3.

Poolboy5623
07-15-2012, 04:02 PM

Really?! The same regular season in which we saw the spurs go 10 deep consistently. Not only that but they received great production from pretty much everyone on the team....fast forward to the playoffs, mainly when things tightened up against decent defenders. Do I need to remind you what happened??

Poolboy5623
07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
And they were 2-0 after the first two games and probably would have won the series if they hadn't collapsed after game 3.

Yeah...and I'd probably be a lot happier person if I hit the powerball!

Mhak
07-16-2012, 04:45 AM
So far our summer league big man gem is E "mothaeffin" Dawson! RC must be drooling on this!!!