PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Want a First Rounder for DeJuan Blair

timvp
07-13-2012, 09:46 PM
According the beat writer for the Golden State Warriors, the Spurs are asking for a first round pick for DeJuan Blair:

The Warriors would have an interest in San Antonio big man DeJuan Blair, according to a source. But the Spurs want a first-round pick in exchange. Not only do the Warriors not have one they can give, they wouldn't give it anyway. If the price comes down, GSW would check him out. He's not the athlete they want, but he'd bring the toughness and physicality they need

http://sulia.com/channel/golden-state-warriors/f/28f00a64-620a-4c65-b983-a7823c971813/

Personally, I think that the Spurs should definitely hold out for a first rounder for Blair. While he has his faults, he can produce. On a mediocre team like the Warriors, he'd probably do rather well.

Eventually the Spurs may lower the asking price to a second rounder but that's not enough right now. Blair playing out his contract is worth more to the Spurs than a second round pick. Maybe if the Spurs land another big and Blair's no longer needed even as insurance, S.A. can reassess the situation. But for the time being, they really shouldn't trade him for less than a first round pick or a comparable player.

Overall, this is good news. The Spurs are still dealing from a position of strength with Blair and aren't simply trying to salary dump him somewhere. It now seems like at worst, the Spurs could eventually find a taker for a second round selection ... which is much better than releasing him for nothing.

SpurPadre
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
According the beat writer for the Golden State Warriors, the Spurs are asking for a first round pick for DeJuan Blair:

Personally, I think that the Spurs should definitely hold out for a first rounder for Blair. While he has his faults, he can produce. On a mediocre team like the Warriors, he'd probably do rather well.

Eventually the Spurs may lower the asking price to a second rounder but that's not enough right now. Blair playing out his contract is worth more to the Spurs than a second round pick. Maybe if the Spurs land another big and Blair's no longer needed even as insurance, S.A. can reassess the situation. But for the time being, they really shouldn't trade him for less than a first round pick or a comparable player.

Overall, this is good news. The Spurs are still dealing from a position of strength with Blair and aren't simply trying to salary dump him somewhere. It now seems like at worst, the Spurs could eventually find a taker for a second round selection ... which is much better than releasing him for nothing.

I live near Oakland and heard this rumor on the local radio here. According to the local guys here, the Spurs had this asking price for this year's draft and the Warriors refused because they didn't feel a 2nd Round pick with no ACLs was worth a 1st Round pick in a deep draft. We'll see if the Spurs will lower their demands during the season. Maybe they'd be better off holding onto him and getting an active player for him by the deadline?

lakerhaterade
07-13-2012, 09:56 PM

A first rounder from Golden State for Blair? Heck yes. That's more than likely a lottery pck

You sound as if that pick won't be of higher value, but think about it, we are talking about the Warriors here.

ploto
07-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Blair is not worth a first round pick, especially one from a bad team.

timvp
07-13-2012, 09:59 PM
In related Blair news, there was another interesting series of events. In case you missed it, HoopsWorld posted this story about the Sixers wanting Blair:

Sixers Interested in DeJuan Blair: DeJuan Blair is on the outside of the Spurs plans looking in, and word is the Philadelphia 76ers would love to have him as a possible replacement for Elton Brand.

Blair is owed roughly $1 million for next season and has grown frustrated with the Spurs. For the last two years Blair played a role in the regular season, only to find himself anchored to the bench in the playoffs.

The Spurs explored trading Blair in and around the draft but could not consummate a deal. Blair has told those around him he expected to be moved and with teams like Philly having real interest, a deal seems probable.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-nba-free-agency-falling-into-place

A reporter asked Rod Thorn, president of the Sixers, about their interest, and this was how that conversation went:

Asked if ‪#Sixers‬ have no interest in DeJuan Blair. "You are correct," replied team president Rod Thorn.

So Blair's value around the league is difficult to estimate. For the Sixers to so clearly dismiss the acquisition of Blair -- a player from that state who also fits a position of need and has a totally unguaranteed contract -- they must have absolutely zero interest.

My guess is that some teams aren't even allowed to try to acquire Blair because he can't pass a routine physical. Philly sounds like one of those teams. Otherwise, why wouldn't they even consider trading for a player who is literally due no money if they end up not wanting him?

All told, it's going to be difficult to trade Blair for good value. You have to find a team willing to accept Blair's lack of ACLs that also understands how much his production is worth relative to his cheap contract.

SpurPadre
07-13-2012, 10:05 PM
In related Blair news, there was another interesting series of events. In case you missed it, HoopsWorld posted this story about the Sixers wanting Blair:

A reporter asked Rod Thorn, president of the Sixers, about their interest, and this was how that conversation went:

So Blair's value around the league is difficult to estimate. For the Sixers to so clearly dismiss the acquisition of Blair -- a player from that state who also fits a position of need and has a totally unguaranteed contract -- they must have absolutely zero interest.

My guess is that some teams aren't even allowed to try to acquire Blair because he can't pass a routine physical. Philly sounds like one of those teams. Otherwise, why wouldn't they even consider trading for a player who is literally due no money if they end up not wanting him?

All told, it's going to be difficult to trade Blair for good value. You have to find a team willing to accept Blair's lack of ACLs that also understands how much his production is worth relative to his cheap contract.

It seems like the same teams who passed up on him in the draft still haven't changed their assessments on him.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Blair is not worth a first round pick, especially one from a bad team.

Yeah, and Mahinmi wasn't worth two players. Teams have given up more for less this year. The Spurs should keep shopping him and be paitient. They have plenty of time to showcase him.

slick'81
07-13-2012, 10:06 PM
better ask for a first .glad they learned their lesson after the scola debacle

SpurPadre
07-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah, and Mahinmi wasn't worth two players. Teams have given up more for less this year. The Spurs should keep shopping him and be paitient. They have plenty of time to showcase him.

The lack of ACLs is the deal breaker for teams, though.

silverblk mystix
07-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Spurs should respond to GW this way;

Ok, we will take the 2nd rounder---but only if you take Blair and Bonner.

ploto
07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
They have plenty of time to showcase him.

What do think they have been doing the past 2 regular seasons?

SpurPadre
07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Spurs should respond to GW this way;

Ok, we will take the 2nd rounder---but only if you take Blair and Bonner.

Bonner too? No, that would be a threat, not an offer.

SpurPadre
07-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Seriously, the Warriors already did us a favor by taking RJ off our hands, why would they take on more dead weight in Bonner? They're not stupid, especially after they had a pretty good draft. They're trying to build a good future moving forward...and it would be one without a Bonner.

baseline bum
07-13-2012, 10:16 PM
The Spurs would be stupid to trade him for a second rounder. With a second rounder you're lucky if the guy can make the team. No reason to trade a guy who has proved he can play in the league for that. I'd rather just hold onto him as injury insurance or to eat minutes and let him walk this summer than get a pick that isn't worth much and not have him there to limit Duncan's minutes.

CGD
07-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Yes he's on a cheap contract, but unless you want a year rental or paltry 1M in cap savings next year, then you also face having to sign a player with no ACLs to a longer term deal.

I hope we can get a first rounder, but I think he'll be sweetener in a salary dump trade involving SJax or Bonner.

slick'81
07-13-2012, 10:20 PM
The Spurs would be stupid to trade him for a second rounder. With a second rounder you're lucky if the guy can make the team. No reason to trade a guy who has proved he can play in the league for that. I'd rather just hold onto him as injury insurance or to eat minutes and let him walk this summer than get a pick that isn't worth much and not have him there to limit Duncan's minutes.

it would be scola all over again

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Good news.

Blair is very valuable for those teams fighting for a playoff position.

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Good news.

Blair is very valuable for those teams fighting for a playoff position.

silverblk mystix
07-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Bonner too? No, that would be a threat, not an offer.

Exactly.

Taking Bonner brings it down to a 2nd rounder.

Blair by himself=1ST round or keep Blair.

Blair + Bonner = 2nd rounder

CGD
07-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Hell, for the WARRIOR'S 1st round pick I would offer Neal and Blair. Money is about right. You have to think that's a top 12 pick.

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Exactly.

Taking Bonner brings it down to a 2nd rounder.

Blair by himself=1ST round or keep Blair.

Blair + Bonner = 2nd rounder
For teams fighting for a playoff position, Bonner is worth a 2nd rounder.

He could really help those teams in the regular season.

loveforthegame
07-13-2012, 10:28 PM
If the Warriors sign Landry or Martin they're not going to want Blair.

I don't see any of the lower end teams giving up a first round pick either.

Redshadows
07-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Hell, for the WARRIOR'S 1st round pick I would offer Neal and Blair. Money is about right. You have to think that's a top 12 pick.
Yeah, their first round pick would possibly be a top 20s considering they are in the west.

It would even better if they take Blair, Neal and Bonner together and Spurs could sign players like Scola.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Not sold that the Spurs are on a position of strength when nobody bites... that's probably a sign they're overvaluing... but I do agree he can eat minutes (and hopefully nothing else), and that helps San Antonio... I'm just not sold he's going to have his head there after two playoffs disappointments and all the shopping rumors... if he ends up mailing it in, then he's not useful to the Spurs at all.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Moving Blair for a 2nd round pick would be a bad move. Keep him for insurance at a minimum.

ploto
07-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Fans say a player sucks until they make suggestions for how to trade him.

SpurPadre
07-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Moving Blair for a 2nd round pick would be a bad move. Keep him for insurance at a minimum.

That's why they may wait until the trade deadline to trade him for an active player instead of a draft pick. Thing is, DB has to give his 100% effort during the season to increase his stock.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-13-2012, 10:45 PM
I think asking for a 1st rounder is a solid policy. For one, you don't give him up for nothing just to give him up. Secondly, if no one bites then Blair has to swallow his pride and realize that it's because no one wants him and he needs to get to work to increase his value.

He's tired of his role but if he gets motivated like he was the first season to prove doubters wrong and all that, then the team can showcase him for the first half of the season and hope to move him at the trade deadline.

SpurPadre
07-13-2012, 10:47 PM
I think asking for a 1st rounder is a solid policy. For one, you don't give him up for nothing just to give him up. Secondly, if no one bites then Blair has to swallow his pride and realize that it's because no one wants him and he needs to get to work to increase his value.

He's tired of his role but if he gets motivated like he was the first season to prove doubters wrong and all that, then the team can showcase him for the first half of the season and hope to move him at the trade deadline.

But if you move him at the deadline, you do it for a player who can help the team immediately not for a draft pick.

Richie
07-13-2012, 10:58 PM
The best we could have done was getting our own pick back in this years draft from GSW.

I'd be surprised if he resigned with us after being benched for two consecutive playoff runs, right now its trade him or lose him.

Even GSW's #35 might have been worth it this year

SA210
07-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Since Pop and RC are ok with our our bigs....Yea, let's move the guy that could have helped us beat OKC, had he played of course.

Fabbs
07-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Trade Blair for a 1st and then draft a Euro/Foreigner who never plays for the Spurs. Be sure to drag out the playing for the Spurs/not playing for the Spurs of said Border Bro for at least 3 years.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-13-2012, 11:29 PM
But if you move him at the deadline, you do it for a player who can help the team immediately not for a draft pick.

That would be true. I suppose I don't expect him to get traded for a first rounder and the scenario I described would be what I call a best case situation. Hopefully I'm wrong and he is traded for a 1st rounder in the summer. But I think most teams would rather grab someone off the scrap heap then give up a draft pick for Blair, however at the trade deadline a team might want to trade it's under-performing knucklehead. But really who knows what will happen. A lot of possibilities...except Bonner leaving the team.

ElNono
07-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Trade Blair for a 1st and then draft a Euro/Foreigner who never plays for the Spurs. Be sure to drag out the playing for the Spurs/not playing for the Spurs of said Border Bro for at least 3 years.

:lol

Vic Petro
07-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Maybe a lottery protected 1st rounder from some team, but no chance for an unprotected 1.

Bruno
07-14-2012, 07:25 AM
If Spurs don't add a player or do a trade, one of Bonner or Blair will be the backup PF and get consistent minutes. While none would be good, I rather see Blair getting that spot than Bonner. Bonner might be better in the regular season but playoffs are what really matter and Bonner disappears in the playoffs. So if they don't find someone else, Spurs should keep Blair to have him as their backup PF.

Holt's Cat
07-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Pop has a feverrrrr and the currrrrre is morrrrre Bonnerrrrrr.

SenorSpur
07-14-2012, 08:19 AM

Agree. A first-rounder for Blair isn't outrageous, it's actually smart on the Spurs part. In any negotiation, it's common practice to start high. If there is some team really interested in Blair now, but perhaps they may not want to cough up the price now, they could very well change their mind by the Feb trade deadline. The Spurs have the luxury of time on their side.

SenorSpur
07-14-2012, 08:21 AM
The best we could have done was getting our own pick back in this years draft from GSW.

I'd be surprised if he resigned with us after being benched for two consecutive playoff runs, right now its trade him or lose him.

Even GSW's #35 might have been worth it this year

True. At the time, I also wanted to Spurs to reclaim the #30 pick in this past NBA draft (their own from the RJ trade). There were a couple of players available that probably could've helped them. However, it was not to be.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-14-2012, 08:33 AM
True. At the time, I also wanted to Spurs to reclaim the #30 pick in this past NBA draft (their own from the RJ trade). There were a couple of players available that probably could've helped them. However, it was not to be.

That was never going to happen, given the shit that GS took over that trade. That pick cost them $11M.

dunkman
07-14-2012, 09:19 AM
That was never going to happen, given the shit that GS took over that trade. That pick cost them $11M.

RJ can play, he's an average player. If those get the MLE, they accepted to overpay $5-6M for the pick.

But I agree they wont return the pick for Blair after paying so much.

dbestpro
07-14-2012, 10:21 AM
If Spurs don't add a player or do a trade, one of Bonner or Blair will be the backup PF and get consistent minutes. While none would be good, I rather see Blair getting that spot than Bonner. Bonner might be better in the regular season but playoffs are what really matter and Bonner disappears in the playoffs. So if they don't find someone else, Spurs should keep Blair to have him as their backup PF.

Best time to trade Bonner will not be until January or later where his contract value is at an all time high and his production once again begins to decline.

therealtruth
07-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Why didn't the Spurs should just add Blair to the RJ trade and keep their first rounder? His value was probably at it's highest at the time. With Pop removing him out of the rotation his value plummeted.

Mel_13
07-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Why didn't the Spurs should just add Blair to the RJ trade and keep their first rounder? His value was probably at it's highest at the time. With Pop removing him out of the rotation his value plummeted.

What gives you any reason to believe that the Warriors would have preferred Blair to the pick?

4down
07-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes he's on a cheap contract, but unless you want a year rental or paltry 1M in cap savings next year, then you also face having to sign a player with no ACLs to a longer term deal.

I hope we can get a first rounder, but I think he'll be sweetener in a salary dump trade involving SJax or Bonner.

It's not just an economic decision, though - if you factor in the basketball reasons to keep him a second rounder isn't enough. Even a first round pick doesn't gurantee any NBA performance. With Blair, you know his production is beeter than even a lot of first rounders.

I don't think the Spurs are about to give him away based on what they won't be able to get next year for him whne you comparewhat they will be able to get out of him in production while they have him.

Harry Callahan
07-14-2012, 01:57 PM
TimVP mentioned Golden State -

I spent the last week working in Oakland, CA, and I stayed at the downtown Oakland Marriott, which houses the Golden State Warriors offices and practice facility. The Oracle Arena was maybe 10 minutes away from there.

The team offices are literally on the fourth and fifth floor of the hotel PARKING GARAGE. Very unimpressive. I ran into a Marketing Rep for the team - he said a new arena is in the works over in San Francisco (by AT&T Park). It won't be ready until 2017, per the rep.

I can't see a free agent NBA player being very excited about playing for the GSW. The general area is pretty bad. The hotel was nice, but I even saw a fistfight between some loser and a female security guard. The move to San Francisco will be a big positive for them, but its a long way off.

sexinthatsx
07-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Easy. Just have Blair as the starting C beginning the season when he's playing with motivation in increase his stock. When the teams bite and get interested, trade him off and we're good to go.

ace3g
07-14-2012, 03:43 PM
DeJuan Blair ‏@DeJuan45

My phone is goin off until next sat so hit me on here I will not answer!!! Handling some business!!! Thanks

therealtruth
07-14-2012, 03:48 PM
What gives you any reason to believe that the Warriors would have preferred Blair to the pick?

They took RJ.

therealtruth
07-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Easy. Just have Blair as the starting C beginning the season when he's playing with motivation in increase his stock. When the teams bite and get interested, trade him off and we're good to go.

The Spurs are done starting Blair. Didn't watch the playoffs?

Duncan2177
07-14-2012, 03:52 PM
It was stupid in the first place to have Blair play center. :lol

ploto
07-14-2012, 04:01 PM
The Spurs are done starting Blair. Didn't watch the playoffs?

As long as the Spurs are shopping him, Blair will be starting. Why do you think he started last year?

BackHome
07-14-2012, 06:47 PM
I would trade him for Golden States second rounder which would be a high second. No way they going to give us a high lotterly pick for Blair.

TD 21
07-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Yeah right. Barring injury to Bonner or him shooting something like 30% or less from 3 for a six or eight week span (and I'm not even sure that would do it), or Blair developing a reliable 15-17 foot jumper, this has no chance of happening.

It sounds great to say "Blair has more value to the Spurs than a 2nd". But the problem is, a year from now, that would equate to throwing an asset in the garbage, as they'll make no attempt to re-sign him. He's no great asset, but he is a asset and you don't waste those. Not when they're this inexpensive, at least.

Plus, he's the type who'd probably pout and cause problems. Last season was different; it was late in the season and the team was clearly making a championship push. Next season, it will be from day one and it's in a contract year. The team doesn't need distractions. And if they're only going to carry five bigs, then the fifth should be someone who's at least 6-9, athletic and capable of blocking a shot more than once in a blue moon.

Mel_13
07-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Yeah right. Barring injury to Bonner or him shooting something like 30% or less from 3 for a six or eight week span (and I'm not even sure that would do it), or Blair developing a reliable 15-17 foot jumper, this has no chance of happening.

So true.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
TimVP mentioned Golden State -

I spent the last week working in Oakland, CA, and I stayed at the downtown Oakland Marriott, which houses the Golden State Warriors offices and practice facility. The Oracle Arena was maybe 10 minutes away from there.

The team offices are literally on the fourth and fifth floor of the hotel PARKING GARAGE. Very unimpressive. I ran into a Marketing Rep for the team - he said a new arena is in the works over in San Francisco (by AT&T Park). It won't be ready until 2017, per the rep.

I can't see a free agent NBA player being very excited about playing for the GSW. The general area is pretty bad. The hotel was nice, but I even saw a fistfight between some loser and a female security guard. The move to San Francisco will be a big positive for them, but its a long way off.

:lol I stayed in that hotel about ten years ago. I wondered why they had "Warriors" painted on the side of a storage building outside my window. Hadn't ever solved that mystery until today. You're right that it looks really cheap. Thank you. Interesting (to me) footnote: It was opening day, and I almost ran into Eck going through the automatic door.

pjjrfan
07-14-2012, 08:51 PM
toughness and physicality. If Dejuan had shown these attributes on a consistent basis, he would have been a major factor in the playoffs. And the Spurs most likely would have reached the finals. Blair has notbeen able to use his big body to his advantage except for rare instances. That's been my biggest gripe on him since he got here. He's not tall but his width and girth are extrordinary but he plays small always has.

4down
07-14-2012, 09:25 PM
toughness and physicality. If Dejuan had shown these attributes on a consistent basis, he would have been a major factor in the playoffs. And the Spurs most likely would have reached the finals. Blair has notbeen able to use his big body to his advantage except for rare instances. That's been my biggest gripe on him since he got here. He's not tall but his width and girth are extrordinary but he plays small always has.

fair assessment - I also wonder why he fell in love with the tear drop. No one will ever confuse him for TP.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2012, 12:31 AM
I talk to a lot of fans of other teams who really like Blair, and think he's a tough, hard-nosed baller.

Not sure that mindset translates to any FOs, but I wouldn't be suprised to see a team give away a first round pick...perhaps with an additional kicker from SA to sweeten the deal.

racm
07-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Full circle.

Turning Richard Jefferson and DeJuan Blair into Stephen Jackson and a first round pick is grand theft.

TDMVPDPOY
07-15-2012, 01:22 AM
lack of acl is a lame excuse, he stills outplay some of the scrubs on their teams...

Harry Callahan
07-15-2012, 12:38 PM
lack of acl is a lame excuse, he stills outplay some of the scrubs on their teams...

Blair is a good player on an excellent team. Pop has lineup options now that he did not have 3 years ago when DeJuan got here.

DB may not have a 12 year career, but he can be a nice rotation player the next 4-5 years. Half of the 1st round picks from last month will not be as good as Blair. SA needs to get some value out of this guy and not give him away.

Harry Callahan
07-15-2012, 12:44 PM
:lol I stayed in that hotel about ten years ago. I wondered why they had "Warriors" painted on the side of a storage building outside my window. Hadn't ever solved that mystery until today. You're right that it looks really cheap. Thank you. Interesting (to me) footnote: It was opening day, and I almost ran into Eck going through the automatic door.

You're welcome.

I found the hotel to be a strange HQ for an NBA team in the 2010's when teams receive a lot of TV dollars. Maybe the Warriors have been there a long time.

The Spurs may have had crappy office space back in the 70's and early 80's when the NBA was less successful financially.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SA have team offices at the Northside Practice facility? Maybe other office staff works at the AT&T Center as well. I don't know for sure.

I'd imagine Richard Jefferson had some initial shock when he reported to the GSWs and saw the practice/team facility. On the other hand, RJ was likely "thrilled" to be so much closer to San Francisco on a daily basis - just a 30 minute drive away.

therealtruth
07-15-2012, 12:48 PM
We've been waiting for beast-mode Blair to return since his rookie year.

tesseractive
07-15-2012, 01:11 PM
fair assessment - I also wonder why he fell in love with the tear drop. No one will ever confuse him for TP.
Probably because it helps him compensate for being so undersized.

Duncan2177
07-15-2012, 02:07 PM
We've been waiting for beast-mode Blair to return since his rookie year.

If It Hasn't happen yet it wont happen anytime soon.

Mr Bones
07-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I still think Blair is more valuable as one of a few pieces in a trade proposal than he would be by himself. I can see a team at the trade deadline giving up a defensive minded athletic 6'10" big for a package of Blair + Bonner/Mills + future draft pick. An offer of something like Blair + Splitter + Mills + draft pick could potentially net a borderline star...

Spurtacus
07-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Blair is valuable to the Spurs as the roster stands now. If the Spurs can sign a vet for the minimum (say Martin or O'Neal) then shopping Blair for a first round pick would be the right move. But I would not want to go into the season with only Duncan, Diaw, Splitter as the only bigs. I won't even bother listing the ginger.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I still think Blair is more valuable as one of a few pieces in a trade proposal than he would be by himself. I can see a team at the trade deadline giving up a defensive minded athletic 6'10" big for a package of Blair + Bonner/Mills + future draft pick. An offer of something like Blair + Splitter + Mills + draft pick could potentially net a borderline star...

We can't trade Mills until either Dec 15th or Jan 15th. Not sure which, but I know there is a waiting period for new FA signees. I read it regarding the now apparenlty dead NJ/Orl trade for Howard. Now that NJ has signed Lopez, he also cannot be traded for months.

CGD
07-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Aside from his physical limitations, trading Blair straight up for a 1st is hard because (1) his contract is only $1M so the cap saving isn't that big a lure, and (2) Blair MUST be resigned next year. Why give up a 1st if you run the risk of Blair walking this time next summer? Is the $1M in cap space freed up worth the 1st?

therealtruth
07-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Probably because it helps him compensate for being so undersized.

The Manimal is undersized yet still plays like we were hoping Blair would play.

mosdef17
07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Just thought of a decent idea, struggling to see which team would say no to this...

San Antonio
Gives: DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal
Receive: Taj Gibson

Chicago
Gives: Taj Gibson, Carlos Boozer
Receives: Gary Neal, Channing Frye

Phoenix
Gives: Channing Frye
Receives: Carlos Boozer, DeJuan Blair

It all works out as Phoenix has the cap space to take on Boozer. San Antonio obviously say yes to this, Phoenix would under the assumption they're happy acquiring any player with a name so they can sell tickets (Which is what I hear of Sarvar). Chicago rid themselves of that Boozer deal giving themselves considerable cap space next summer and get a cheap replacement for Kyle Korvers shooting.

Josepatches_
07-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes, Gibson and Boozer for Neal and Frye. Maybe Noak too

If they want to trade Boozer is because they have Gibson.

mosdef17
07-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Yes, Gibson and Boozer for Neal and Frye. Maybe Noak too

If they want to trade Boozer is because they have Gibson.

They want to trade Boozer because he doesn't fit, his contract is big and it would open up considerable cap space for them next summer with Rose, Noah and Deng all signed.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2012, 11:21 PM
I feel sorry for Grizz - he has mostly played well for us and gets nothing but grief for it. It's not his fault that he doesn't fit what the team needs. If he could just improve his D to above average, and improve his consistency of focus on the offensive end, there'd be no reason to move him.

He's a fine 4th big for the pricetag, and we should definitely hold onto him, play him plenty, and deal him if the right offer materialises. Otherwise, I'm all for making him happy again and keeping him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Just thought of a decent idea, struggling to see which team would say no to this...

San Antonio
Gives: DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal
Receive: Taj Gibson

Chicago
Gives: Taj Gibson, Carlos Boozer
Receives: Gary Neal, Channing Frye

Phoenix
Gives: Channing Frye
Receives: Carlos Boozer, DeJuan Blair

It all works out as Phoenix has the cap space to take on Boozer. San Antonio obviously say yes to this, Phoenix would under the assumption they're happy acquiring any player with a name so they can sell tickets (Which is what I hear of Sarvar). Chicago rid themselves of that Boozer deal giving themselves considerable cap space next summer and get a cheap replacement for Kyle Korvers shooting.

Taj would be absolutely PERFECT for the Spurs, but I don't see it happening... :depressed

SequSpur
07-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Blair is the only guy on the spurs that can get a double double besides Duncan and you want to get rid of him......

whatever...you guys don't know shit about basketball....

bonner lovers...all of you.

G-Dawgg
07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
^^^ Not only that, but he's the only big that we have that shows any sort of toughness and willingness to bang with the more physical players in the league. Without him our frontcourt is as soft as a pussy willow...

DesignatedT
07-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Blair's a 6'5'' center. Get rid of him.

Mr Bones
07-16-2012, 01:58 AM

We can't trade Mills until either Dec 15th or Jan 15th. Not sure which, but I know there is a waiting period for new FA signees. I read it regarding the now apparenlty dead NJ/Orl trade for Howard. Now that NJ has signed Lopez, he also cannot be traded for months.

That's why I specified at the trade deadline, which is after the all-star break.

caŽlo
07-16-2012, 03:22 AM
throw in a second rounder and lets get rid of bonner too