Guru of Nothing
06-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Party is over, let's go!

Next seasons to-do list:

(1) Re-sign Horry

(2) Re-sign Nazr

(3) Re-sign Devin

(4) Sign Scola

(5) Sign free agent (or draft) a long 3.

Roster=

C - Nazr, Rasho
PF - TD, Horry, Scola
SF - Bowen, Devin
SG - Manu, Brent
PG - Parker, Beno

Gone - Wilks, Marks, TMass

Stay - I'd like to keep Glenn Robinson, but he's likely gone. I'd like to see more of LJIII.

Draft: Deserves it's own thread, but I still like Julian Hodge out of NC State.

Free agents to consider:

(1) DeMarr Johnson - Not sure how much money he will command in the market. Also not sure how good his D is, but he's got the right build to take on a Tayshaun Prince. He's a consistent 35% 3-point shooter, but I'm willing to bet he could hit 40% playing for the Spurs.

(2) Tom Gugliotta - Nah.

(3) Jon Barry - Not really a need position, but I think he'd be great for team chemistry.

(4) Chris Anderson - If the Spurs don't retain both Nazr and Rasho, he'd be an entertaining acquisition.

(5) Jamal Mashburn - Does he have anything left?

(6) Luke Walton - ???

(7) Brian Scalabrine - What's not to like about a guy from USC?

Discuss.

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Party is over, let's go!

Next seasons to-do list:

(1) Re-sign Horry

(3) Re-sign Devin

(4) Sign Scola

These are the most important.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-24-2005, 10:09 AM
i really like the idea of getting DeMarr Johnson.

As for priorities, i think its safe to say everyone will want to re-sign horry as number ONE!!!

Glenn Robinson did not look into the celebration or anything when they were presenting the trophy, the guy will not be back..
I agree with your order of priorities, devin brown is the bomb, but we need Butter Fingers II to keep our size advantage..

Spurminator
06-24-2005, 10:12 AM
I like Brent Barry at backup Point Guard... and while I think Beno has a bright future, that would leave him out. His stock is probably pretty good right now, so I think we should explore trade options with him.

Resign Devin as backup SG, and make a run at DeMarr to back up SF.

violentkitten
06-24-2005, 10:14 AM
i thought glenn robinson was there with the team. not sure about what you speak.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Training Camp issues:

1) for the love of all basketball holiness, FORCE tony parker to practice an OBSCENE amount of jumpshots from his sweet spots....so many jump shots in fact that his arm gets really really sore...

2) Get Nazr into a football catching-like practice to improve his hands

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2005, 10:15 AM
We gotta get rid of Robinson, he's as good as done in professional basketball, it's a waste of space on the roster and money.

violentkitten
06-24-2005, 10:15 AM
i think you keep beno right now. the kid has a lot of upside and as shaky as he might've looked in this series, beno was quite useful in prior series and it's not like barry tore it up in these playoffs.

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Training Camp issues:

1) for the love of all basketball holiness, FORCE tony parker to practice an OBSCENE amount of jumpshots from his sweet spots....so many jump shots in fact that his arm gets really really sore...

3) Tim, shoot a minimum of 1,000 FT's a day.

violentkitten
06-24-2005, 10:17 AM
We gotta get rid of Robinson, he's as good as done in professional basketball, it's a waste of space on the roster and money.

?

guy hadn't played for most of the season and came in and was able to contribute. give him a full training camp and season with the team and he'd be quite worthwhile. the spurs definitely can use a guy with a mid-range game like his.

but i know, he's not argentinian.

Supergirl
06-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Beno played like a rookie in the playoffs, but he had some good moments. Spurs should keep him - and they will, he's still in his rookie contract.

They should offer Robinson vet minimum or something comparable to Horry's contract. Robinson would be a fool not to take it.

caŽlo
06-24-2005, 10:51 AM
robinson can stay.

ObiwanGinobili
06-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Training Camp issues:

CH-CHING :tu
We Have A WInner Folks!! :elephant

ObiwanGinobili
06-24-2005, 11:02 AM
I'd like to keep Glen Robinson, but not forever. 1 yr contract preferably.
I think if we trade Beno we will regret it big time in the coming years - that guy is on the up & up. I'd hate for that to bite us in the a55.

Gone: Sean (sad, I know - but we need to) Wilks, and either T-mass or GRob.

Stay : devin, horry.
sign scola.

And what i nthe world is up with Linton JOhnson??? does this guy exist? Is his injury still real or fake at this point? What are we expecting out of him?

spursupporter
06-24-2005, 11:04 AM
let beno and robinson stay.

horry and devin are "must sign" players

as for nazr, bargain with him at least.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Overall, Beno played with more poise and aggressiveness this postseason than Barry did.

Beno's game fits in well within the Spurs' system. His J is pretty automatic when he gets a little space and he's not afraid to attack the basket. Moving him would be a bad idea, IMO.

As for Barry, man, I don't know. He did show up in Game 7, but overall he had a very week playoffs. He definitely is a guy with the skills to fit in snugly, but sometimes he was downright pathetic this postseason.

Mohammed had some flashes, but against a physical Detroit frontline he looked pretty weak. Granted, most NBA frontlines aren't built like that, but he didn't impress in the Finals.

Devin Brown was on the verge of blowing up and making a name for himself this playoffs prior to the back injury. Re-signing him and Horry are priorities, I feel.

If there is a 'need' this offseason, it would be at the backup 3 spot. I really like Glenn Robinson in the Spurs' system. The Spurs need that midrange game and I think he's shown that he would not be a liability defensively. Give him a summer and training camp to get in shape as well as a season to really get familiar with the team and he would be deadly. If not, then Raja Bell would be an awesome potential pickup for the Spurs to backup Bruce and eventually to replace him in the starting lineup. I think Bell could be had for whatever is left over of the MLE after the Spurs sign Scola. Still, it would pretty much be a case of Bell wanting to join the Spurs with the expectation that he would continue to be compensated if he performed well in SA.

Scola appears set to join the team. That might mean that Rasho is on the way out. Whatever happens, I think the Spurs need to devote the resources to maintain some frontcourt depth. Quality depth up front is difficult to come by in this league and for all that Rasho leaves to be desired, he is definitely one of the best backup centers in the NBA.

Guru of Nothing
06-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Raja Bell would be an awesome potential pickup for the Spurs to backup Bruce and eventually to replace him in the starting lineup.

Raja Bell would be a very nice fit. I definitely overlooked him while perusing the list of free-agents.

mattyc
06-24-2005, 11:36 AM
The title isn't even 24 hours old! I'm not thinking about this until draft day!

Vashner
06-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Yea WTF rofl.. when I make a steak I like to eat it b4 I plan my next meal..

Enjoy the moment.....

WayDowntownBang
06-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Remeber, the rosters are going from 12 to 14 next year too, thanks to the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. That means you have 2 more options to go to, and 2 more jobs to fill. Do you see anyone coming out of the draft that interests you? It's hard to predict with these 20+'s picks.

boutons
06-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Beno's got a cheap rookie contract, and probably has very little trade value. It doesn't cost us much to keep him around, and think back to the backup PG disaster we had for months in 03/04. Beno is serviceable insurance. It'll be on him to develop himself, and for Pop to give him "safe" PT for that reason.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
I know Beno struggled a little at times in the playoffs, but I'm not seeing the urgent reason to move him...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2005, 12:17 PM
1. Sign Scola

2. Extend Nazr

3. Trade Rasho for a big SF

4. Re-sign Devin

5. Forget jumpers for Tony, make HIM shoot 1000 FTs a day. Same for Tim.

6. Build a bigger trophy case.

JUUOT
06-24-2005, 12:55 PM
so since everybody started i will join...
i think our PG line is set up and should be one of the top5 point guard pair next year. pretty cool when you realise they are both only 23. beno will have Backup playing time plus some minutes at SG with Barry handlingPG duties count around 16MPG
so parker beno at PG

concerning barry. it is defintely a keeper. he had and put too much pressure on hiself this year and it takes a year to feel confortable in the spurs system (horry) he will be a stud or at least what we expected him to be this year.
so we have Manu, bowen Barry
LJIII was kept all season so i guess he is a keeper and will have to prove himself in training camp but could become our 5th wingman.
the question on the wing is Devin. after the injury his market value dramatically decreased. so even if he is undersized he should get an offer from spurs difficult to refuse. especially wuth the arrival of a lot of SG and SF in the draft. The only reason i could see him not resign would be a perfect rookie in the draft at 28 (we never know, Gelabele has the size, body and willing to be the next bowen and is underrated, i keep praying)
so Manu, Bowen, with Barry and devin or else and LJIII 5th option...? might see some movement there. but Manu Bowen and barry are going nowhere.

Front line. There are nor reason to trade rasho until you see Scola Value. Rasho will be a spur at least until all star break. Scola in. Nazr better... horry as a (not) secret playoff weapon
that looks good.

tony - Beno
Manu - barry
bruce - ? (brown, LJIII or rookie or FA) i forgot glenn that i think could be the perfect fit if Dbrown is not re-signed to share PT with LJIII
Duncan - Scola - Horry
Nazr - Rasho

our only true need for draft day is a good SF if any left. other wise some resilient PF like turiaf that would take mass and marks role.
a third PG in case. u never know.

i am already all excited to repat the title!!!!

clubalien
06-24-2005, 01:17 PM
trade parker + filler for chauncy billiups

the two GREAT players for detriot are ben wallace, and billups,
i think their point guard would be wonderfull for us!

WalterBenitez
06-24-2005, 01:23 PM
TD/Scola/Horry
Bruce/Barry
Manu/Brown/LJIII
Naszr/Rasho
Tony/Beno

Could we get Ben Wallace? :D

JUUOT
06-24-2005, 01:46 PM
so walter you dont bring back glenn big dog robinson?
and i agree on one point. it will be either devin or glenn but not both. Option 1 if we keep glenn robinson we can draft talented but not ready SF and let it in europe and than decide between sanikidze and this draftee to replace big dog.

Mickael Gelabale: 6-7, 215; 22 years old

Small Forward; Club: Real Madrid (Spain)

Gelabale would be willing to remain next season with Real Madrid, where he averaged 8.2 points and 4.3 rebounds in the Euroleague. Gelabale is slightly bigger than his French countryman Mickael Pietrus of Golden State, and he's a better shooter than Pietrus at this stage. He is an excellent athlete capable of defending multiple positions. "I don't think you'll see him come over here for awhile," says an NBA scout. "A lot of players fail to develop in Europe, but I don't think that will happen to this guy because he's playing an important role with a big club."

Option 2
give devin the job but you have to worry for his back and undersyze (back really concerns me) to replace bowen. it is not a long term viable option.

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 03:26 PM
i think you keep beno right now. the kid has a lot of upside and as shaky as he might've looked in this series, beno was quite useful in prior series and it's not like barry tore it up in these playoffs.

But I think Barry showed Pop something for next year. An option at using him for PG -- like Seattle did and like Pop SHOULD have done this year. Plus, having played in the System for a year, Barry should be very comfortable next year.

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Is Scola a PF or SF?

violentkitten
06-24-2005, 03:28 PM
sure, barry's skills do give the spurs more flexibility, but he still looked quite shaky this postseason.

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 03:32 PM
I like Brent Barry at backup Point Guard... and while I think Beno has a bright future, that would leave him out. His stock is probably pretty good right now, so I think we should explore trade options with him.

Actually, we should trade up in the draft using Parker and here's why:

I think TP has shown, after four years with the team, that he is an inconsistent playoff PG. Although a rookie, "Beans" showed he as what we need -- a conventional PG -- whereas TP is a score first type PG. He's only 23 and teams still believe he has an upside. Maybe he does, but a team with a need for a PG would give up an All-Star SF or Lottery pick.

We need a SF that not only can defend (Bowen is getting old) but who can create his own shot and score with "The Rock". That would give us excellent scoring options at the 2, 3 and 4 positions (if Pop would get with the program and turn us into a Phoenix-like team that plays Spurs defense. Bench is still great.

Of course, depending on how the draft plays out we could just stand pat and go with our international flavor and pick someone who will be there at pick #28, leave Tony onboard and REALLY play like Phoenix.

T Park
06-24-2005, 03:35 PM
try and package Rasho and Brent Barry up to get something, if not together alone then.

get scola over here,

Horry has a player option so hope he picks that up

resign Devin Brown

Draft intelligent.

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 03:36 PM
sure, barry's skills do give the spurs more flexibility, but he still looked quite shaky this postseason.

I hear you. But don't forget this was his first trip deep into the real season.

Once again, Bones now has a season under his belt with Pop and the System. I expect him to perform in year 2 what we all thought he'd do in year 1.

T Park
06-24-2005, 03:37 PM
if Pop would get with the program

yeah that fuckin popovich aint got a clue whats goin on....

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 03:40 PM
try and package Rasho and Brent Barry up to get something, if not together alone then.

get scola over here,

Horry has a player option so hope he picks that up

resign Devin Brown

Draft intelligent.

If Horry has the option, then unless a real contender offers him more $$, he'd be crazy to leave. We know with his daughter's situation that he wants to stay in Texas. And didn't he say he never really considered Miami? Besides, he loves the team environment and Ring #7 would put him over Jordan and you can be that is what he's thinking. Spurs already listed as a 7-2 favorite to repeat.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-24-2005, 03:42 PM

We'll take him! Horace Jenkins for Beno Udrih straight up. :elephant

violentkitten
06-24-2005, 03:44 PM
moving parker for a pick is guaranteed to come back and bite us in the ass.

i can think of perhaps 2 other point guards i would want in the nba. sorry spurs fans, giving up on parker makes no sense whatsoever.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Or, more seriously, maybe Carlos Delfino (another dude from Argentina!) for Udrih straight up. I doubt we'd do that though, because we have Carlos Arroyo as a backup, offensive PG...

lordswing
06-24-2005, 03:45 PM
trade parker + filler for chauncy billiups

the two GREAT players for detriot are ben wallace, and billups,
i think their point guard would be wonderfull for us!

pft, as if the Pistons are silly enough to let him get away. Really, there are a few people I'm terrified outside of the Spurs, 2 of them are on the Pistons (C Bill and Big Ben->I'm drafting him next year for my fantasty team, he's no longer a offensive liability from what I saw in the playoffs and against one of the best defensive teams) the other is Amare.

violentkitten
06-24-2005, 03:46 PM
the priorities this summer when it comes to addressing positions starts with the 3 spot and after that i would look at the 5 before i would even think about the 1.

Spurminator
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
I would like to see what Barry can do as the primary backup to Parker... Keep Beno as insurance, perhaps, but Barry just looks so much better as a playmaker than a spot up shooter.

Mixability
06-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Not that the Spurs don't know Manu's game, but I look forward to Scola blending in well with Ginobili's pace. I have to start saving money for a Scola jersey...

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 04:14 PM
?

guy hadn't played for most of the season and came in and was able to contribute. give him a full training camp and season with the team and he'd be quite worthwhile. the spurs definitely can use a guy with a mid-range game like his.

Exactly. As I said, keep him if you can and he doesn't mind coming off the bench. Trade him next February if it don't work out.

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Not that the Spurs don't know Manu's game, but I look forward to Scola blending in well with Ginobili's pace. I have to start saving money for a Scola jersey...

I'm still waiting to hear whether Scola is a SF or PF?

Guru of Nothing
06-24-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm still waiting to hear whether Scola is a SF or PF?

PF

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Remeber, the rosters are going from 12 to 14 next year too, thanks to the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. That means you have 2 more options to go to, and 2 more jobs to fill.

You're kidding. That changes EVERYTHING.

timvp
06-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Remeber, the rosters are going from 12 to 14 next year too, thanks to the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Yeah, he was kidding. That is not true.

T Park
06-24-2005, 04:33 PM
its there is no injured list.

You can have 3 on the roster, but they dont have to be hurt, is what I TOOK from that.

ObiwanGinobili
06-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Yeah, he was kidding. That is not true.

it's true.

http://www.nba.com/news/cba_050621.html

"The league will guarantee that, on average, all teams will have 14-player rosters, and players suspended for more than 12 games for on-court misconduct will be able to challenge the suspension before a neutral arbitrator. "

ShoogarBear
06-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I heard the same thing about the roster size. Is that a misinterpretation?

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2005, 04:37 PM
That means 14 total players, not 14 active.

50 & 21
06-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Starting Lineup:

PG-Parker
SG-Ginobili
SF-Bowen
PF-Tim
C-Nazr

Bench:

Horry-SF/PF
Barry-PG/SG
Udrih-PG/SG
Rasho-C
Brown-SG/SF

This lineup will be back, and that should go without saying. If it means re-signing Horry, Nazr and Brown to bigger deals then so be it. Great teams are built around consistency which means keeping the same core group and this is it. Any thought of dumping Udrih is ludacris. Rasho and his size is not going anywhere and Brown is ready to bust out.

Glenn Robinson - Why not re-sign him to a reasonable contract for another year? He came in at a hectic time, and came through for us. Offensively he is a great commodity, and he showed us great effort and improvement defensively. Like Barry, he could be much better for us next season. With that said, we could do without him very easily if we'd rather replace him with a younger guy to benchwarm in the playoffs.

Linton Johnson III - I'm not really sure who he is. He must be known for his defence because he shot a horrid 35%/21%/59% last year (for the Bulls) which could translate into 40%/25%/50% for us next year, but I'm not sure if that's the guy we need on our team. I don't conider him a Spur yet anyways so it wouldn't break my heart to see him let go.

Tony Massenburg - Bye-bye! Just not the size/package we're looking for.

Scola - Hello! I don't know too much about the guy except that he'd be a great replacement on our roster for the guy mentioned just above. We could use a bit more size and strength up front and he sounds like the guy to do the trick.

So in summary, we have 10 core players, Scola coming on and if we keep Glenn or Linton (choose 1) then we're left with 2 open roster spots. Perfect!

The first spot will go to our first round draft pick and the last spot will be for a free agent or a guy to fill any holes we come across during the course of the year (we could start the season with another rookie or Marks in that 14th spot).

OK, it seems as though the Spurs are set to repeat in '06!

:king :king :king :king :king

:king :king :king :king :king :king :king :king :king

P.S. Screw any thought of aquiring ex-Piston champs to play for the Spurs. We don't need those guys! Have you heard of a thing called team chemistry?

td4mvp21
06-24-2005, 04:58 PM
I want to keep Barry. The thing is, he did well because he was playing point guard. He seems to be more comfortable at that position, which is obvious because that is what he used to play. I'd trade Rasho and Nazr for a low post presence who can a) handle passes b) score inside or on hooks or turnarounds and c)rebound agressively. Keep Robinson, he could teach Parker some how to shoot.

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
This lineup will be back, and that should go without saying. If it means re-signing Horry, Nazr and Brown to bigger deals then so be it.

I thought Nazr had one more year left.

Guru of Nothing
06-24-2005, 05:02 PM
I thought Nazr had one more year left.

He does have one year left.

2centsworth
06-24-2005, 05:05 PM

Resign Devin as backup SG, and make a run at DeMarr to back up SF.
You're a sharp cookie.:tu

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 05:05 PM
He has one more year left, but I believe they can grant him an extension this summer. Which they might consider if they don't want to lose him in the free agent market next year.

AgSpursFan
06-24-2005, 05:09 PM
I think they should:
re-sign Horry
re-sign Brown
sign Nazr to an extension
trade rasho
let Mass, Robinson, and Marks sign with someone else.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm still not sold on Scola. I mean it would be great to add depth but some people make it sound like he should be top priority, and i totally disagree.

I'd rather keep Glenn Robinson than sign Scola..given that we keep horry of course

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 05:20 PM
You're a sharp cookie.:tu

What about Joe Johnson at SF? It's no lock Suns can resign him and wouldn't that irk Phoenix to no end to sign Johnson?

Spurminator
06-24-2005, 05:21 PM
No way will we be able to afford Joe Johnson.

2centsworth
06-24-2005, 05:21 PM
What about Joe Johnson at SF? It's no lock Suns can resign him and wouldn't that irk Phoenix to no end to sign Johnson?
too much dough.

T Park
06-24-2005, 05:23 PM
The Spurs don't have the cap space to sign Joe Johnson, and would you start him ahead of Manu Ginobili!???

IMO, I WOULD trade Beno, but only if you got back a solid veteran shooting point guard in return.

AKA a Speedy Claxton.

IMO, in New Orlean's rebuilding, that would be a perfect trade for them.

Beno for SPeedy, straight on up.

WayDowntownBang
06-24-2005, 05:26 PM
That means 14 total players, not 14 active.

I may be wrong, but where does it specify "active" vs. "non-active"? I was understanding that we could have Darko as the 14th man on the bench instead of the 12th? Is there specific rules to that?

Gummi
06-24-2005, 05:27 PM
The Spurs will keep Beno and Barry IMO. Barry´s too versatile to trade unless it´s a no brainer. Beno will be our backup PG for year´s to come IMO. He´s a great PG with a good shoot. With this season under his belt, he should become more confident in big games.

I´m not sure about Glenn and TMass. Both are free agents. TMass should want to come back for vet min. Glenn on the other hand is a toss up. He could get a nice offer from a sub .500 team like Golden State or Toronto. Will he take that or re-sign with us if Pop and R.C. want him back, I don´t know.

Rasho is my biggest question. Will he be traded or will he stay and come off the bench? I´m guessing he´ll be staying but then what about Scola? Will he come and what type of minutes will he get as a reserve? Not many if Rasho´s still on the bench and Timmy playing 35+ minutes a night. Well, I guess we have to wait and see what happens. I really like Scola´s game and I hope he´ll sign with us this summer.

T Park
06-24-2005, 05:33 PM
If you sign Scola this offseason, sign a draft pick.

You have amazing depth.

Your front court is

Duncan Horry/ Scola
Mohammed Nesterovic

Im especially interested to see how Scola and Ginobili play together.

Another player that COULD be had???

Carlos Delfino.....

long 3........

SequSpur
06-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Beno and Rasho should be transferred to beer sales.

Get rid of Massenburg.

Get Jalen Rose, Luis Scola.

Resign Horry and Big Dog.

Win 3 more championships.

T Park
06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Get Jalen Rose,

:rollin

r u kiddin me

lmfao what a bozo.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2005, 05:46 PM
I'd trade Rasho and Nazr for a low post presence who can a) handle passes b) score inside or on hooks or turnarounds and c)rebound agressively.

Great idea. There's only about 6 guys in the league that fit your criteria, and they're all franchise players.

Look, Nazr had a shaky series vs. the Pistons, but a lot of people do (shit, even Shaq looked bad against them). Some of you are too quick to throw a guy under the bus that was instrumental in even getting the Spurs to the Finals (and was showing good hands, rebounding, and scoring in the first 3 series).

But he's not named Malik, so I could still see the hate being out there.

On second thought, I don't see us moving Rasho this summer. Odds are it's going to be Spurs vs. Heat next year in the Finals, and we'll need the depth.

What makes more sense is keeping Rasho until Shaq's career is done (2 years, 3 tops), then with the departure of Shaq, you send off Rasho for a SF to come in (which should be about the time Bowen's hanging them up).

T Park
06-24-2005, 05:51 PM
I like the idea of Demarr Johnson.

It would be nice if the Spurs could swing a deal to bring him in.

IMO, the Nuggets WAYYYY underused him, hes a young small forward, long arms, coachable maybe.

Demarr Johnson plus scola and a draft pick would be an amazing offseason.

50 & 21
06-24-2005, 05:55 PM
To clear the air a bit about Scola, he's a 6'9'' 230lb. power forward who will be 25 years young when the '05-'06 season rolls around. He shoots a high percentage and had a very strong inside game. From what I hear, he's ready to play now as soon as he learns the Spurs' system. Scola should get plenty of minutes (for a rookie) behind Duncan and Horry. Scola is probably too short to play center which means we need to keep both Rasho and Nazr if we don't want to sign a free-agent. These 5 guys would round out the 4 & 5 spots nicely. Bowen needs relief at the 3 spot and this means keeping Glenn or Linton. We really have three capable (and two rapidly improving) point guards in Parker, Barry and Beno, and to back up Ginobili in the 2 spot is Devin. That makes 12 and is IMHO the wisest thing to do; keep this core group for maximum chemistry! We could add a guy who can play both the 2 & 3 spots in the draft (and probably should) and maybe add a defensive-minded center (or even keep Marks around just for kicks) via free-agency or the draft.

P.S. I'm not the Spurs' GM. I just act like it!

mrpach
06-24-2005, 06:38 PM
THe for Nazr was because the spurs needed more size off the bench? If you trade Rasho for a long sf the size off the bench would be...?

Not sure Devins resigning should be a priority, if you see it from the spurs staff point of view it would rather be a risk, hes way to small for sf and he has bones in front of him on the rotation

slayermin
06-24-2005, 07:17 PM
I am in favor of bringing Big Dog back if Devin's injury lingers. Devin was a shadow of himself during the playoffs. He hit a couple of threes and played some defense, but overall, he did not look like the Devin Brown we saw in the regular season. Both guys are risks. I think Devin is a lock to be resigned. But I don't think he is going to get the jack he was probably hoping for. Bringing back Big Dog as an insurance policy for Devin would be cool, as long as he understands his role and comes back cheap.

Nazr is kinda of a sticky situation. I guess if the Spurs want to offer him an extension, that would be best because he is just an overall better player than Rasho. It would be nice to be able to keep Rasho and Nazr for the next few years but can the Spurs afford to?

It would be nice to bring in Scola but if that costs us Horry, I'm against it.

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 08:03 PM
The Spurs don't have the cap space to sign Joe Johnson, and would you start him ahead of Manu Ginobili!???

I said JJ at SF, not SG.

T Park
06-24-2005, 08:04 PM
While it would be nice.

Aint happenin.

CaptainLate
06-24-2005, 08:09 PM
If you sign Scola this offseason, sign a draft pick.

Another player that COULD be had???

Carlos Delfino.....

long 3........

Delfino is a FA?

T Park
06-24-2005, 08:13 PM
no, but he was left off their playoff roster and has supposedly fallen out of favor up there.

Id love to swing a trade for him.

WOuld also be nice if the Pacers are sick of Jack.......

Ocotillo
06-24-2005, 08:22 PM
I question Devin Brown's health. Does anyone know if his injury is career threatening? He was well on his way to being re-signed and part of the rotation next year, even ahead of Barry until the injury and despite his being young, he nover recovered this year.

I also would not be suprised if the Spurs trade their draft pick. It seems this managment team has traded as many first rounders as they have kept.

Bowen and Horry will be 35 next year. We typically have Bowen guard the best perimeter player (see Billups, Chauncey). At that age, he can lose a step pretty quick (see Payton, Gary) and his role is extremely important on this team. Horry will be able to be productive at his position and role for more years than Bruce. We need to be thinking about who will replace Bruce.

Finally, with Horry's performance this series I got to thinking. In the right situation, Pop could go back to a "triple towers" line up with Nazr, Tim and Horry on the front line. Might be cool to see along with a backcourt of Manu and Barry it would be a big line up.

Spurminator
06-24-2005, 08:30 PM
There may be other options that are not currently considered with the "Free Agent" crop...

Several overpaid players are likely to have their contracts paid out by their teams in order to keep from having to pay the luxury tax. These players can be signed by another team to a completely new contract... Considering that most of these players are still seeing $10+ million per year, a big paycheck will not be as high on their priority list as, perhaps, contributing to a Championship contender and redeeming themselves for years of unjustified max dollars.

Some of these players may include (correct me if any of these are expired contracts - I included players with Player Options, because why wouldn't they re-up?):

Michael Finley
Allan Houston
Keith Van Horn
Tariq Abdul Wahad
Scot Pollard
Brian Grant
Theo Ratliff
Derek Anderson
Jalen Rose

Ocotillo
06-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Tariq Albdul Wahad? uh, no thanks, not even for vet minimum.

I like the others....

Spurminator
06-24-2005, 08:36 PM
He might be a decent backup 3, and he would almost definitely only get the minimum. I'd give him a workout.

yavozerb
06-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Has anybody seen Diogu from Arizona state...The boy is bad!!!!extremely physical down low and good defensive player(led pac 10 in blocks)..Probably cheaper and as good as bringing over scola and saving some cash!!!!!!!!!Ohya, he shot over 80% from the free throw line!!

Spuritista
06-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Could Scola be traded?

spurster
06-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Bigs: Duncan, Nazr, Horry, Rasho, and Scola.

Swings: Manu, Bruce, Barry, Devin, LJ III

I don't see much chance of or need for signing Glenn Robinson. TMass and Sean Marks are optional additions to the bigs. Wilks is another for the points.

td4mvp3
06-24-2005, 09:01 PM
i thought donyell marshall was looking to come to s.a., or was that just allstar break hocus pocus? i like the hodge guy from nc state, thought he was great from what little i saw of him.

Gummi
06-24-2005, 09:15 PM
I read an article about a month ago that stated that Abdur-Rahim wanted to become a Spur this off season. Don´t know if there´s any truth to that, but he would be a great addition, but I don´t see him getting major minutes that he needs, so I doubt it will happen.

td4mvp21
06-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Great idea. There's only about 6 guys in the league that fit your criteria, and they're all franchise players.

Look, Nazr had a shaky series vs. the Pistons, but a lot of people do (shit, even Shaq looked bad against them). Some of you are too quick to throw a guy under the bus that was instrumental in even getting the Spurs to the Finals (and was showing good hands, rebounding, and scoring in the first 3 series).

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Nazr is good, but sometimes he just can't score underneath. It's always a problem I guess to find a solid compliment to a franchise power forward.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-24-2005, 09:38 PM
If we could get Theo Ratliff our defense would be so fucking SICK!!!!

milkyway21
06-24-2005, 10:18 PM
i want the Spurs to keep Rasho if they want to keep Horry.

Horry usually slow in season games:lol so we need Rasho in the middle alongside Duncan. Besides, I don't really want him playing against Duncan or defending TD next season.
just let Marks/Wilks go, get Scola for a minimum, if we can. He's not familiar with the Spurs' moves yet, it might get him half a season to learn the plays.

E20
06-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I had high hopes for Abdul Wahad coming out of San Jose state but, his stay with Mavs and his injuries were too hard for him to overcome. I wonder what he is doing now.

jalbre6
06-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Gummi,

The ESPN Fastbreak guys just both went fact for the fact or fiction segment when, "Will Sharref Abdur-Rahim be a Spur next season?", for whatever that worth.

Has Shareef ever even been in the playoffs?

T Park
06-25-2005, 02:21 AM
Proboblem with Abdur Rahim.

I just dont see where he fits in.

Sign Theo Ratliff, trade Nesterovic and draft pic for a 3.

Maybe Memphis would go for a Rasho for Battier, seeing as Memphis might lose Swift.

Kaster
06-25-2005, 02:21 AM
Quick question; why did the Spurs drop Sato? I thought he'd be able to replace Bowen, dude is a great defender, great vertical leap, and has range with his jumper, which Bowen can only duplicate in rare situations on an inconsistent basis.

T Park
06-25-2005, 02:25 AM
pretty much IMO, he stunk.

I watched him many times in summer league, I didn't see that so called great jumper.

milkyway21
06-25-2005, 03:30 AM
i would only trade Rasho for AK47.or Elton Brand Other than that i want him to stay as a Spur.

let Marks, Wilks, TMass go. sign Scola or any decent big man.

T Park
06-25-2005, 03:35 AM
would only trade Rasho for AK47.or Elton Brand Other than that i want him to stay as a Spur.

damn

1 problem there bro, he doesnt make as much as them,

and they are franchise players to those franchises lol.

I think we could trade Rasho for a good player, but I wouldn't trade him for the sake of trading him.

Karl Mundt
06-25-2005, 04:27 AM
How come everyone is so sure Nazr starting next year is a given. Rasho lost his starting job because of his injury, the reasons why he didn't get back into the rotation were 1. Nazr was playing well most of the time, 2. Pop didn't want to mess with the rotations in the playoffs, 3. Most teams cut their big man rotations down to three men further the team goes into the playoffs. With Tim and Horry getting bulk of the minutes, there was only gonna be minutes left for one player (even Nazr didn't really get average starting position minutes).

I think Nazr got a bit rattled by the Pistons defense and he lost a lot of confidence during the series, still i think he'll get through that till next season and we won't see him fumbling every pass he gets under the basket (that he'll never be a great ball handler is pretty much understood at this point in his career).

However there is plenty of space to argue that Rasho is still a more useful player at what the Spurs try to do as a team. Offensively Nazr is better at finishing around the rim and he's maybe a top 5 offensive rebounder in the league (though Rasho is no slouch either) but he's also more turnover prone and he doesn't set picks or seals off defenders as well as Rasho does. Rasho also used to have a decent midrange jumper, maybe he'll make more use of it next year than he did this. Defensively Rasho is inarguably a much better player, and that might just be the key to Pops final decision, as that seems to be the focal point of Spurs team philosophy.

With some of Nazr's weaknesses (like defense, setting picks..) he gets some benefit of doubt because he hasn't been here that long and maybe until next year he will improve on them enough as to clear doubt about who is who going to start next year. On the other hand i'd also like to point out that this was probably Rasho's worst year in his career. After much improvement during the first season in defense, rebounding and blocking he was set to train with one of the Spurs' coaches on his offensive game and his assertiveness during the offseason, but inexplicably, after a good preseason, he got into a big slump and managed to regress in those departments in particular. Maybe next year he'll pick off where he left after the 2004 season.

Also there is no way the Spurs are going to trade Rasho until Nazr resigns. If they let him go and then Nazr bolts for a better contract, it leaves the Spurs with no center and not that much money to spend on any free agents. I think they are gonna wait and see how both players develop, and then probably stick to one, much depending also on how much Nazr commands in free agency and how much they're willing to spend. I just wouldn't bet against it being Rasho.

If it was up to me i would

Keep the backcourt in tact.
Tony/Beno will do at PG and Barry (who the Spurs won't trade) can fill in in emergency.
Manu/Brent is a nice SG combination (i still have some faith in Barry)
Bowen needs a backup at SF, i am not a big fan of Devin so i would look into any long SF's either in the draft or free agency (my Slovenian bias would like to see Nachbar fill that space), but if nothing suitable comes their way, the Spurs can still resign Devin and give him minutes behind Bowen. In fact, considering Devin already knows the system and is part of the team's chemistry, it might be best just to resign him.

The problem with the frontcourt is that there are too many good players. If the team really ends up with Tim, Rasho, Nazr, Horry and Scola, how will Pop go about splitting minutes between these guys. But that's the least of his concerns.

So to sum up, don't mess with anything that doesn't need to be messed with. Resign Horry, resign Devin and bring in Scola.

AFE7FATMAN
06-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Duncan
Parker
Bowen
Manu
Nazr
Barry
Udrith
Scola
Horry
Linton Johnson

Brown - If he takes a 1 year contract

Rasho - Will be gone by Christmas or sooner
Big Dog - I want him but he will get more $ elsewhere
insert one of the following: Free Agent/NBA VET who can play the 4/5

#14 = Will be a free agent/Marks/a BIG GUARD who also can play the3

Our draft pick will stay overseas.

violentkitten
06-25-2005, 01:38 PM
on offense i'd like abdur-rahim in san antonio. not too sure about his defense but he has a solid body and should be able to bang up front. he's been a strong rebounder for most of his career which i like.

i'm guessing that the rumors about him to san antonio center on the spurs sending portland nesterovic in a sign and trade. works for me.

rahim turns 29 this year. i could go for a duncan-mohammed-rahim-horry-scola frontcourt...

ChumpDumper
06-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Portland already has a defensive center cheaper in Pryzbilla -- not sure they'd want another.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2005, 01:44 PM
And I don't want Rasho to leave before he teaches Nazr how to set a pick and where to stand on D.

Mr. Body
06-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Beno Udrih was one of the best rookie point guards last year. Better than Devin Harris and certainly far better than the likes of Sasha Vujanic. He will definitely be among the best second-year point guards. Trading him now would be misguided.

Linton Johnson is crap. If he winds up being anything worthwhile, then fantastic. But for now he's no-offense IR-fodder. Same with Sato. People wonder why he got cut? Probably because he wasn't good enough to pay while developing. If he makes himself better somewhere else in the world, then wants to come back, then that's swell.

Horry should come back. Houston is the other option (for stated personal reasons), but he likes this team and is guaranteed a deep playoff run.

Barry is fine. I truly believe he'll have a great year next year. He's a veteran of the process and knows better where his spots are. I expect more motion, more drives, and headier play, with new confidence. He'll surprise next year - and play fine defense.

Nazr had a tough series against Detroit's front line, but who doesn't? He was great the rest of the playoffs. I expect the team to try to extend him, for him to take it, and for him to start.

Rasho is a question mark. I'm really not sure. If they extend Mohammed I expect them to shop him hard. But if they can't get Battier or somebody like him (which is doubtful), I don't like parting with him. He's a good team guy, even if an expensive backup. Teams could do a lot worse.

I expect Glenn Robinson to be gone. Though he subordinated his ego in the last few months, I don't see him doing it for much longer. He's a guy who needs to play and needs to start and needs the ball. Nothing against him. But that's just not what he'll get here. I expect some team to take a flyer on him that needs talent. I'd be stunned if he came back.

Devin resigns. Sure. I'm not terribly sold on him. He's good in spot minutes, though. Strictly a bench player.

Scola is going to be a phenomenal pickup and a dynamite bench player. He's savvy and passionate and a terrific low post threat. He needs to improve his rebounding and probably his defense, but he's going to solve some scoring problems and will shore up our bench nicely. I really like him. Any questions about him busting into Horry's time should be dismissed. Horry should get less time during this seasons this year than he did last, and I don't think he'll mind. Really, he only got so much time because Rose was ineffective and Rasho wasn't an end-game player. The player Scola will cut into will be Nesterovic, anyway. People will be surprised. He's a terrific low-post scorer.

Draft? Good question. Wouldn't be surprised if they trade the first rounder down for a couple second round picks (or even one). It's a deep draft this year. They'll be looking for SFs and will look at the likes of Mickael Gelabele, an athletic, long three, who can put on weight, be a team player, and fill the same role as Bowen. With Scola coming in, they don't need to score here at all, just give them a prospect for the future. Hell, after the Championship, they don't even need Scola. Though, of course, he'll come.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2005, 10:18 PM
This series showed that the Spurs have some work to do when it comes to their frontcourt. The Spurs don't have that bad of a frontline, hell, it's hard to have a crappy one when Tim Duncan is a part of it but there is a little room for improvement. Perhaps Scola will provide a boost.

wildbill2u
06-26-2005, 02:29 PM
i think bruce has another 4-5 years left in him...is he gonna retire in a few or what?

No way. At 35? He could lose a step real quickly 'cause the legs are the first thing to go. We need a good backup NOW to develop in the system next year.

LJIII hasn't made it anywhere yet in tryouts for several clubs. And his injury history isn't promising. Look for someone better at the SF either in draft or trade or Europe.

wildbill2u
06-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Quick question; why did the Spurs drop Sato? thought he'd be able to replace Bowen, dude is a great defender, great vertical leap, and has range with his jumper, which Bowen can only duplicate in rare situations on an inconsistent basis.

Probably because he's really only 6'3" :lol