PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland shopping Varejao?

benefactor
07-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Hearing Cavs quietly made it known during Draft they'd listen to Varejao trade pitches. Gotta wonder: Would Scola make it easier to deal AV?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7pozg9u

Trade seems to work well for both teams. The Cavs get a good big man back and a good shooter(Bonner is filler to make the trade work)...along with cap space next season. The Spurs get a legit starting big man on a decent contract. Still leaves the Spurs with a hole at PF but Varejao>>>>Splitter and the Spurs have him locked up for the next two seasons with a partially guaranteed third year. Works perfect with Duncan's new contract.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I've thought about Varejao too. I have doubts that CLE makes that trade, but that would be damn good move for the Spurs. Solves their bigman pick and roll defense problem and they can hold out hope that Tyrus Thomas gets amnestied and clears waivers.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 11:18 AM
I don't think they make it either, but it's one they might at least consider. I think it's about as close to equal value as they are going to get if they are trying to salary dump him.

DPG21920
07-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I know people are quick to dump Neal, but the Spurs (even with a log jam numbers-wise) still have a lot of question marks. I can't imagine trading Neal until it seems likely the Spurs have a replacement they know can perform. We won't know that for a little while so it's hard to see Neal traded until later on (unless it's a no brainer).

DPG21920
07-14-2012, 11:21 AM
But with regards to the this trade, I guess the question is really how much do you think Tiago will get paid next year and determining the value. If his salary is south of AV's - you have a decision to make. If it's the same or greater you do the trade because for the same cost, I'd rather have Andy and Bonner will be waived next year and Neal is likely gone (assuming as time goes on, one of the new guards Mills, De Colo or Denmon works out).

benefactor
07-14-2012, 11:31 AM
If it's the same or greater you do the trade because for the same cost, I'd rather have Andy and Bonner will be waived next year and Neal is likely gone (assuming as time goes on, one of the new guards Mills, De Colo or Denmon works out).
This is pretty much my thinking. It takes the guess work out of re-signing Splitter and guarantees the Spurs have another legit big on the front line to finish out the Duncan era. After the next two seasons the Spurs can decide to keep Andy, trade him or waive him and pocket the 5.7 million.

freetiago
07-14-2012, 11:33 AM
should do this in fairness to Splitter
Manu got oberto and possibly scola
parker got diaw/de colo
Splitter needs varejao

benefactor
07-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Splitter would be traded.

Mel_13
07-14-2012, 11:36 AM
should do this in fairness to Splitter

Splitter would be traded.

:lol

As to the trade, I'd do it for the reasons already discussed.

dbestpro
07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Think of it from Cleveland's persepctive. You will let Varejao go if you can get cap relief to go after Bynum, and if you can get an unprotected 1st round draft pick from a lower seed playoff team that could land you in the lottery. Bonner and Neal help with the salary issue, but the desire for a possible lottery pick will remain.

timvp
07-14-2012, 11:42 AM
My hesitancy is hustle bigs almost all fall off a cliff at around 30. Varejao turns 30 in a couple months. If he loses a step, he's no longer worth his contract.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Adding a first round pick is overpaying. I'd decline if they asked for one.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 11:46 AM
My hesitancy is hustle bigs almost all fall off a cliff at around 30. Varejao turns 30 in a couple months. If he loses a step, he's no longer worth his contract.
Perhaps...but it's still a palatable contract even if he does lose a step and it's basically two seasons. There is more risk to re-signing an injury prone Splitter to a similar deal IMO.

Nathan89
07-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I think Cleveland would jump on this trade tbh.

I might consider this trade if we get Scola.

I don't like the contract. I want to move Tiago but not for an overpaid player.

CGD
07-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Varejao thread... I don't like his contract, and really dont see him as an upgrade to Splitter at all (marginal at best). I'm not opposed to moving Splitter, but I'd rather get better young parts from a team like Houston. Now if the Cavs add a pick in there, I may be inclined.

acoelho1
07-14-2012, 12:01 PM
I would make this deal in a heart beat. We are in win now mode and Andy makes us significantly better defensively and he is a pretty good rebounder. I'm not worried about his age since players really start to lose a step at around 32 or 33 and that's when he will be on the last year of his deal. Plus, Tiago will be 28 midway through this coming season and he is nothing more than a complimentary piece but not as good defensively as Andy in my opinion. Losing Neal would be negligible since we have many guards under contract. I rather see Mills and DeColo get the backup point guard slots and no way Neal would get ahead of Green and Ginobili at the 2.

I can't imagine Cleveland getting a better deal. A pretty good & cheap big man and a sharp shooter in Neal. However, the inclusion of Bonner may torpedo the deal.

AFBlue
07-14-2012, 12:10 PM
As much as I would like to see Bonner off the team, I can't see the Spurs trading away someone they might have to overpay next year for someone that they will be overpaying for the next two or three. I agree that Splitter is probably more valuable to a team without a franchise big man, but selling him to Cleveland for an overpaid role player isn't maximizing his value.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Not sure where any of you are getting the idea that Varejao is overpaid. His contract is pretty close to market value for a rotation big. Guess Spurfan is just used to low balling players.

And :lol at Andy not being equal value for Splitter. I don't even have a good response to that.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Not sure where any of you are getting the idea that Varejao is overpaid. His contract is pretty close to market value for a rotation big. Guess Spurfan is just used to low balling players.

And :lol at Andy not being equal value for Splitter. I don't even have a good response to that.

kobyz
07-14-2012, 12:58 PM
is Varejao that much better than Splitter that is worth to take his contract?

AFBlue
07-14-2012, 02:47 PM

He's making almost $18M in the next two years and the only thing he does above average is rebound. As for his value relative to Splitter, he's a substantially less effective offensive player. While I'd agree Varajao is the better defender, I don't think it's as wide a gap as their respective offensive games.

Splitter lacks the opportunity to show he's a 30MPG Center, so it makes sense to capitalize on his value. I just think there's a better option out there. Could be wrong...

SenorSpur
07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Adding a first round pick is overpaying. I'd decline if they asked for one.

It doesn't matter anyway because league rules prohibit a team from trading away first round picks in consecutive years.

Russ
07-14-2012, 03:08 PM
is Varejao that much better than Splitter that is worth to take his contract?

No, actually Splitter is better (verification pending in London).

More to the point, do you think Pop would play Varejao?

venitian navigator
07-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I'll never give up on Splitter for Varejao.
Tiago is younger and just needs more playing time...and in a full regular season he'll get plemnty of that.

Cleveland needs cap space. I'd do the trade sending them Blair, Neal, Bonner plus Joseph and Byars contracts (Byars they can cut and co.jo they can not exercise the option).

AFBlue
07-14-2012, 03:22 PM
It doesn't matter anyway because league rules prohibit a team from trading away first round picks in consecutive years.

Consecutive future picks. Spurs can trade their 2013 pick because the 2012 draft is behind them. They just can't trade their 2013 and 2014. At least that's how I understand it.

Steve-O-Matic
07-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Assinine trade idea. Splitter is the better player, the younger player, the healthier player, and the significantly less expensive player. Sometimes I wonder what in God's name goes through some of your heads.

Duncan2177
07-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Assinine trade idea. Splitter is the better player, the younger player, the healthier player, and the significantly less expensive player. Sometimes I wonder what in God's name goes through some of your heads.

And soft :rolleyes

Bruno
07-14-2012, 03:56 PM
I rather have Splitter than Varejao.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 03:58 PM
He's making almost $18M in the next two years and the only thing he does above average is rebound. As for his value relative to Splitter, he's a substantially less effective offensive player. While I'd agree Varajao is the better defender, I don't think it's as wide a gap as their respective offensive games.

I'm not sure how much you've actually watched Andy, but he's a significant upgrade over Splitter. Before breaking his wrist last season he was averaging a double/double and rebounding at an elite rate on both ends...pulling down 4.4 offensive boards per game. Splitter is one of the best pick and roll players in the league, but Andy is a very good one too. He and Irving ran it very well together last season and Varejao is a better finisher at the rim.

He's more physical than Splitter, a better rebounder, a better positional and pick and roll defender and though he is not quite as good of a pick and roll player, he still runs it very well. He basically has most of Splitter's offensive qualities but is everything the Spurs need Splitter to be on the defensive end/boards. Oh...and you can stop mentioning salary. I know you think rotation big men should all be paid like Matt Bonner but the fact is that 8-9 million a year is the going rate. And remember, it's only for two seasons.

Splitter lacks the opportunity to show he's a 30MPG Center, so it makes sense to capitalize on his value. I just think there's a better option out there. Could be wrong...
His history is littered with minor injuries that keep him missing more games than he should be missing. I just don't see him ever being able to play at that level. I don't know what you are looking for in a better option. I think you are simply overrating Splitter and underrating Varejao.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 04:05 PM

I'm guessing you are talking about the last two seasons. He tore and ankle tendon and broke his wrist. He had real injuries...unlike Splitter...who strains calves and wrists when someone breathes on him.

jermaine
07-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Splitter is soft as doctors cotton!

Wild Cobra Kai
07-14-2012, 04:07 PM
I rather have Splitter than Varejao.

Don't understand that at all. AV is a better defender, better rebounder, good PnR finisher, and until last year, healthier by far.

ploto
07-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Just thought I would remind you that the Spurs passed on him to draft Beno! :)

Wild Cobra Kai
07-14-2012, 04:09 PM

He's not JUST a hustle guy, though. He's smart. I could easily see him morphing into a taller Oberto or some such thing.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I knew this would happen. It's like the Dirk/Manu thread all over again.

SenorSpur
07-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Consecutive future picks. Spurs can trade their 2013 pick because the 2012 draft is behind them. They just can't trade their 2013 and 2014. At least that's how I understand it.

Ah.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 05:21 PM
I rather keep Tiago... free throw woes and all

BackHome
07-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Should have gotten this guy instead of keeping Diaw.

lakerhaterade
07-14-2012, 06:45 PM

No it's not that bad of a comparison.

Don't exacerbate it to be more than what it is.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 07:00 PM

I'm not that huge of a fan of Tiago to begin with... but I'm not sure what Varejao has exactly done in the NBA to state he's head and shoulders over Tiago?... he's a career 7/7 guy over 25mins on a bad team...

lakerhaterade
07-14-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm not that huge of a fan of Tiago to begin with... but I'm not sure what Varejao has exactly done in the NBA to state he's head and shoulders over Tiago?... he's a career 7/7 guy over 25mins on a bad team...

This guy gets it :toast

ElNono
07-14-2012, 07:04 PM
BTW, I do agree with the injury concerns over Tiago (and his freebies), but the next 82 games season Varejao completes will be his first one... He has two 81 game seasons, one 76 games season, and he barely played more than 50 games in any of the other five...

benefactor
07-14-2012, 09:22 PM
I like how you made it sound worse than it is by saying "it will be his first 82 game season." The three seasons before the most recent two were basically full seasons. The last two years were fluke injuries...a broken wrist and a torn ankle tendon. That could have happened to to anyone and hardly proves he's injury prone.

Your other dismissive statement about him being a 7/7 guy that has done nothing to prove he is better than Splitter leads me to believe you really haven't watched him play(or you are trolling). He's better than Splitter at everything except running the pick and roll...and that's because Splitter does that an elite level and Andy just does it really good.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Furthermore...this past season yielded even more evidence that he would be very effective with the Spurs offense. Once he was paired with a PG that ran the pick and roll well his offensive production went up...as he put up career highs in points per game, attempts at the rim and makes at the rim. There is no reason to believe he would not be just as productive running it with Manu or Parker...in fact I know he would...because I watched how well he ran it with Irving.

There's no legit reason to say no to Splitter for Varejao. Splitter is a poor man's version of Andy at best.

TD 21
07-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I like how you made it sound worse than it is by saying "it will be his first 82 game season." The three seasons before the most recent two were basically full seasons. The last two years were fluke injuries...a broken wrist and a torn ankle tendon. That could have happened to to anyone and hardly proves he's injury prone.

Your other dismissive statement about him being a 7/7 guy that has done nothing to prove he is better than Splitter leads me to believe you really haven't watched him play(or you are trolling). He's better than Splitter at everything except running the pick and roll...and that's because Splitter does that an elite level and Andy just does it really good.

He's not a better low post scorer or passer than Splitter. There's an argument to be made for either player. I'd prefer to keep Splitter, because I think he's yet to his his ceiling, whereas Varejao is what he is. But there is no massive disparity either way.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 09:48 PM

Well, it's hard to figure out where the line is. People here keep saying Manu is injury prone, and he basically cleared the 70 games mark on 7 out of 10 seasons... under the same criteria, Varejao would be at 3 out of 8...

Now, does that mean Tiago is superior in that department? I don't know, and frankly, I share your concern about Tiago getting sidelined by little dings.

I'll admit that I always thought Varejao was severely overrated. I've seen him play not only in Cleveland but also on the Brazilian NT. He's a smart player in that he knows how to get into players heads. But he also has a tendency to try to do too much. Tiago is probably nowhere near as polished as Andy, who has 8 years in the league. But I also think Tiago's mistakes are correctable (catching passes, freebies, better boarding), where Andy basically peaked.

Sorry bene, you're my man, but I can't agree there's a head over shoulders difference between the two. I put both on the 2nd tier of bigs with guys like Scola/Diaw/Kaman, etc...

benefactor
07-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Splitter's post game is overrated and the jury is out whether or not it really translates in the NBA. He's inconsistent and he can only really dominate against marginal/inexperienced defenders. He also makes questionable decisions in the post(remember Derek Fisher?:lol). All in all, I'd like to see about 90% of Splitter's offense come from the pick and roll with the occasional post up. I will give you the passing though.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I'll admit that I always thought Varejao was severely overrated. I've seen him play not only in Cleveland but also on the Brazilian NT. He's a smart player in that he knows how to get into players heads. But he also has a tendency to try to do too much. Tiago is probably nowhere near as polished as Andy, who has 8 years in the league. But I also think Tiago's mistakes are correctable (catching passes, freebies, better boarding), where Andy basically peaked.

Sorry bene, you're my man, but I can't agree there's a head over shoulders difference between the two. I put both on the 2nd tier of bigs with guys like Scola/Diaw/Kaman, etc...
I think the biggest thing beyond the defense/boards is overall toughness. Splitter has some correctable mistakes but I have a hard time seeing him getting any tougher than he already is. He's a finesse big that tries hard. Andy is a physical big through and through.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 09:54 PM
FWIW, Andy's number showed a marked improvement not when Irving joined the team, but the previous season, when Lebron walked away... then again, he only played about 30 games on each season, so it's really hard to gauge if the numbers scale...

TD 21
07-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Splitter's post game is overrated and the jury is out whether or not it really translates in the NBA. He's inconsistent and he can only really dominate against marginal/inexperienced defenders. He also makes questionable decisions in the post(remember Derek Fisher?:lol). All in all, I'd like to see about 90% of Splitter's offense come from the pick and roll with the occasional post up. I will give you the passing though.

We're not talking about whether Splitter's post game is overrated or not though, we're talking about if it's better than Varejao's and I see no argument for it not being. Varejao doesn't even have a post game.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 09:57 PM
I think the biggest thing beyond the defense/boards is overall toughness. Splitter has some correctable mistakes but I have a hard time seeing him getting any tougher than he already is. He's a finesse big that tries hard. Andy is a physical big through and through.

Well, I don't see Andy tough at all. I see him more 'dirty' than tough, which, admittedly, is part of his 'getting into players heads' game. He was amongst the league leaders in taking charges along with Derek Fisher for a few seasons in a row. Tough guys don't flop at that rate.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 09:59 PM
We're not talking about whether Splitter's post game is overrated or not though, we're talking about if it's better than Varejao's and I see no argument for it not being. Varejao doesn't even have a post game.

Tiago has a lot of ground to cover there though.... that weak ass elbow flip shot needs to die a horrible death over the summer...

benefactor
07-14-2012, 10:00 PM
FWIW, Andy's number showed a marked improvement not when Irving joined the team, but the previous season, when Lebron walked away... then again, he only played about 30 games on each season, so it's really hard to gauge if the numbers scale...
I was impressed watching him play last year with Irving. I have always liked him for his defense and rebounding but after seeing him run the pick and roll so well with a good PG I couldn't help but think that he is the type of player we all wish Splitter could be. I agree the sample size was small but you either run it well or you don't. He seemed to run it well pretty naturally.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Well, I don't see Andy tough at all. I see him more 'dirty' than tough, which, admittedly, is part of his 'getting into players heads' game. He was amongst the league leaders in taking charges along with Derek Fisher for a few seasons in a row. Tough guys don't flop at that rate.
Nothing wrong with a little dirty...or nasty, if you will. :)

ElNono
07-14-2012, 10:02 PM
I was impressed watching him play last year with Irving. I have always liked him for his defense and rebounding but after seeing him run the pick and roll so well with a good PG I couldn't help but think that he is the type of player we all wish Splitter could be. I agree the sample size was small but you either run it well or you don't. He seemed to run it well pretty naturally.

I really didn't see much of the Cavs last season, so I'll take your word for it.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Nothing wrong with a little dirty...or nasty, if you will. :)

No doubt. He's a lot like Bowen in that sense of being a bitch to his rivals. Probably a guy you love if he's on your team, but despise otherwise.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Well the discussion becomes irrelevant if we are talking about post game comparison...because though Splitter's is better it's only effective occasionally. Both can run the pick and roll and that's all that really matters when you are talking about the bulk of necessary offensive production.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 10:06 PM
One thing I'll always be grateful to Andy for: Trying to be a hero in the last play of Game 4 in the NBA Finals. Botching the play, leaving Lebron wondering what happened, and putting up a horrible shot that sealed Spurs' 4th title. :lol

benefactor
07-14-2012, 10:08 PM
We can agree on that. :lol

chazley
07-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Anderson Varejao is a better player than Tiago Splitter. All your other points are valid though.

acoelho1
07-15-2012, 10:06 AM
So when does flop rate equal not being tough. Ginobili and Fisher are pretty tough players. If Varejao was on the team last year, he would be on the court and not on the bench as Splitter was most times.

Cane
07-15-2012, 12:09 PM

Agreed

JonNOKC
07-15-2012, 03:09 PM
If Cleveland was to claim scola for say 3.5 mil would you consider a Splitter, Bonnet, Blair, Byars, Neal for Andy and Luis? Trades involving that many bodies rarely go down.

Also I think the only way you do any Splitter 4 Andy trade is if you are convinced Tiago will command more money than Spurs are willing to pay next summer.

Kindergarten Cop
07-15-2012, 03:12 PM
If Cleveland was to claim scola for say 3.5 mil would you consider a Splitter, Bonnet, Blair, Byars, Neal for Andy and Luis? Trades involving that many bodies rarely go down.

Also I think the only way you do any Splitter 4 Andy trade is if you are convinced Tiago will command more money than Spurs are willing to pay next summer.

Any team that claims Scola will not be able to trade him at any time this season.

JonNOKC
07-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Any team that claims Scola will not be able to trade him at any time this season.

Thanks - a lot to the new amnesty rule - ignore my post please

PingPong
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Why not Splitter-Andy combo? Probably You will see it monday against the U.S. Team. Varejao can inprove both Tim and Splitter's game and he plays lots of minutes in a horrible Cavs. The biggest issue is the salary and how to make the change without Splitter in the deal...

TD 21
07-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Well the discussion becomes irrelevant if we are talking about post game comparison...because though Splitter's is better it's only effective occasionally. Both can run the pick and roll and that's all that really matters when you are talking about the bulk of necessary offensive production.

It's very relevant. You said, "He's better than Splitter at everything except running the pick and roll". I said, "He's not a better low post scorer or passer than Splitter." You've now agreed that "Splitter's is better". In other words, you were wrong.

Don't forget, before one of his 45 injuries this past season, Splitter was rapidly developing into one of the better low post scorers in the league. I don't care how awkward some of his moves looked; they were effective. After his injury, he was inexplicably nowhere near as good in the post. He's never going to draw comparisons to Olajuwon or Duncan, but it's clearly in him to be a quality low post scorer.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Why not Splitter-Andy combo? Probably You will see it monday against the U.S. Team. Varejao can inprove both Tim and Splitter's game and he plays lots of minutes in a horrible Cavs. The biggest issue is the salary and how to make the change without Splitter in the deal...

??? In any prospective Varajao trade, they're going to want Splitter as the centerpiece. That's why not.

Seventyniner
07-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Varejao may not be the most talented player, but he would fit very well with the starting lineup. Losing Splitter, though, likely makes it not worthwhile, especially if the Spurs can get Kenyon Martin.

benefactor
07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
It's very relevant. You said, "He's better than Splitter at everything except running the pick and roll". I said, "He's not a better low post scorer or passer than Splitter." You've now agreed that "Splitter's is better". In other words, you were wrong.

I know what I said. You don't have to repeat things in full faggot form to make some kind of point.

You are still overrating Splitter's post game. It's decent at best and it in no way does enough to make him a better player than Andy. There would be very little drop off offensively with Andy in the lineup and there would be an improvement in defense and a significant improvement in rebounding and overall toughness.

therealtruth
07-15-2012, 06:56 PM

Don't forget, before one of his 45 injuries this past season, Splitter was rapidly developing into one of the better low post scorers in the league. I don't care how awkward some of his moves looked; they were effective. After his injury, he was inexplicably nowhere near as good in the post. He's never going to draw comparisons to Olajuwon or Duncan, but it's clearly in him to be a quality low post scorer.

I partially blame Pop for that regression. He started reducing Splitter's minutes after that injury.

therealtruth
07-15-2012, 06:57 PM
With Varajeo we would have most of the all-Flop team.

TD 21
07-15-2012, 07:30 PM
I know what I said. You don't have to repeat things in full faggot form to make some kind of point.

You are still overrating Splitter's post game. It's decent at best and it in no way does enough to make him a better player than Andy. There would be very little drop off offensively with Andy in the lineup and there would be an improvement in defense and a significant improvement in rebounding and overall toughness.

Well then how does "the discussion become irrelevant if we are talking about post game comparison"? Seems to me any aspect of the game is relevant, when you say "(insert name) is only better than (insert name) at (insert skill)".

Not really. For a stretch there he was damn near automatic in the post. He's got enough of a low post game to be better than decent.

I see the argument for Varejao; I don't need it spelled out to me. The other reason I wouldn't do it is because defending specific PF's isn't as big a pressing need as it was. Diaw helps in that regard, but so does the competition. Nothing is guaranteed obviously, but this team is in another class from the Mavs or Grizzlies now, plus Nowitzki and Randolph don't appear to be quite what they were. The Lakers may have just gotten back into the Spurs class, but Gasol, at least on that team, isn't quite what he was either. And the two main teams who stand between this team and a championship have no offensive threats at power forward a lot of the time and the times they do, they're playing perimeter players at the position, in which case you don't need a big to defend the position anyway.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Swapping Varejao for Splitter would be very useful for us - Varejao is a better defender and rebounder, and has greater stamina, although he's not quite as good offensively. It's a pity his contract is also double what Splitter gets. Still, we'd have to carefully consider a Varejao for Splitter and Bonner deal if it was out there.

Mr Bones
07-16-2012, 10:25 PM

:lol It's never a complete Benefactor thread until he gets mad and starts calling people faggots.

"Still learning me." Pot, meet kettle.

maverick1948
07-16-2012, 10:40 PM

I'm guessing you are talking about the last two seasons. He tore and ankle tendon and broke his wrist. He had real injuries...unlike Splitter...who strains calves and wrists when someone breathes on him.

Don't understand that at all. AV is a better defender, better rebounder, good PnR finisher, and until last year, healthier by far.

AV has played in only 69% of his games in his career and the worst 2 years were the last. That raises the injury flag for me.

Varejao may not be the most talented player, but he would fit very well with the starting lineup. Losing Splitter, though, likely makes it not worthwhile, especially if the Spurs can get Kenyon Martin.

dont look for the Spurs to get Martin. I dont think we want him that bad. Any player we add will have to learn the Spurs system and that takes time.

:toast

benefactor
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
:lol It's never a complete Benefactor thread until he gets mad and starts calling people faggots.

"Still learning me." Pot, meet kettle.
I don't get mad on the internets. You can fuck off now, faggot.

benefactor
07-16-2012, 10:49 PM
AV has played in only 69% of his games in his career and the worst 2 years were the last. That raises the injury flag for me.

He only missed 7 games in the previous three seasons...and if one is going to raise the injury flag then it's better suited to some sort of chronic thing like a knee or an ankle. The two injuries he had the past two season could easily be considered flukes. If he re-injures the ankle or the wrist I would give the argument more validity.

benefactor
07-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Varejao played quite well tonight tbh. :toast