PDA

View Full Version : Better player: Tiago Splitter or Anderson Varejao?

benefactor
07-14-2012, 04:10 PM
In the spirit of Spur fan thinking Boris Diaw>>>>>>>>>>>>David Lee, I give you the most recent legit comparison...Tiago Splitter being better that Anderson Varejao. What say you? How much better is Splitter?

namlook
07-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Splitter should be an all star next year tbh.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Quality takes on the subject can be found here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201192

TimDunkem
07-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Varejao gets the edge because he can actually hit his free throws, isn't lazy on the offensive boards, and has a half-decent jumper out to about 15 feet.

Nathan89
07-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Varejao gets the edge because he can actually hit his free throws, isn't lazy on the offensive boards, and has a half-decent jumper out to about 15 feet.

Varejao gets the edge because he has a skill that transfers to the playoffs. Tiago was too scared, too weak, and too unskilled in the playoffs.

TimDunkem
07-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Varejao gets the edge because he has a skill that transfers to the playoffs. Tiago was too scared, too weak, and too unskilled in the playoffs.
That too.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 05:27 PM
I think Tiago has more upside, being basically new to the league, etc... Varejao peaked a while ago, and frankly, hardly offers much more than flopping...

Arnold Rothstein
07-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I think Tiago has more upside, being basically new to the league, etc... Varejao peaked a while ago, and frankly, hardly offers much more than flopping...

Why does spur fan always do this when answering these questions? They immediately start talking about who is a better fit in Pop's system, who has more "upside", how much they get paid or how classy they are. The question is WHO IS BETTER you stupid fucking wetbacks.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Why does spur fan always do this when answering these questions? They immediately start talking about who is a better fit in Pop's system, who has more "upside", how much they get paid or how classy they are. The question is WHO IS BETTER you stupid fucking wetbacks.

Because some of those things matter, faggot.

Teams largely don't sign a player to a 1 year contract, and it's difficult to compare players in a vacuum...

To me, they're both very limited players to begin with.

DeadlyDynasty
07-14-2012, 05:46 PM

Mr. Rothstein has a point, tbh. Spurfan will do anything to overrate their scrubs at times. Scottspurs being the most famous example--saying RJ was a better fit than Melo:lol

ElNono
07-14-2012, 05:49 PM
tbh, he does have a point when it comes to "pop's system :cry" or "classy :cry"...

But, I'm not even a fan of either guy, both being brazilian and shit :lol

CitizenDwayne
07-14-2012, 05:50 PM
RJ was a better fit than Melo:lol

...someone actually said that? Mother of God, that is sad.

Splitter-Varejao is a lot less absurd of a debate than Diaw-Lee, and really it could go either way. (Splitter, in Varejao's place starting on a weak team, would most likely put up about the same numbers, and vice versa.)

I'll go with Splitter, strictly for the fact that Splitter is improving, and Varejao will probably start to decline soon.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I was actually going to start a fairly similar thread but with Scola vs Diaw...

DeadlyDynasty
07-14-2012, 06:01 PM
...someone actually said that? Mother of God, that is sad

Yes, and he stood by that statement for close to a year:lol

mercos
07-14-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd go with Splitter. He put up 9 and 5 playing less than 20 minutes a game in what was essentially his rookie season in the NBA. I believe his numbers would have been substantially better if he got more time on the court and the Spurs actually went to him a little more. He needs to work on his rebounding and free throws, but outside of that I was pretty happy with his game. He also costs less than Verejao, and has a higher PER.

lakerhaterade
07-14-2012, 06:14 PM
It's a lot close than a Boris Diaw >> David Lee discussion. You having to make this thread is stupid since both players offer their positives and negatives.

That said, in his prime I'd take Varejao of a couple of years ago when his ability peaked.

TimDunkem
07-14-2012, 06:22 PM
lol Scottspurs :lol

DMC
07-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Tiago's pros are his footwork in the paint and, to a much lesser degree, his defense (but still decent in the paint). He sets decent picks, if his teammates would wait for him to actually get set he wouldn't get so many illegal screen calls.

AJ's is his ability to flop, his work on the boards and he can actually hit a shot.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Splitter's footwork in the paint doesn't matter when he doesn't know how to use it properly. Half the time he fakes when he doesn't need to.

Andy is better at just about everything than Splitter. Splitter is a poor man's Varejao at best.

DMC
07-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Splitter has his moments, normally when they don't matter.

benefactor
07-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Splitter has his moments, normally when they don't matter.
:lol

Well said.

racm
07-14-2012, 11:29 PM
I'll take Sideshow Bob assuming he stays healthy.

IronMaxipad
07-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Splitter? Never heard of him tbh.

DMC
07-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Splitter? Never heard of him tbh.
Look toward the end of the bench this season after the 3rd string has been played out, you will see him starting to move to the scorer's table.