PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Leonard quietly holds own vs. Team USA

gambit1990
07-14-2012, 05:48 PM
on his play for the usa select team:

“You see Kawhi, but you don’t hear him,” Team USA assistant coach Nate McMillan and former Trail Blazers coach said after a practice session at the Mendenhall Center on the UNLV campus this week. “He’ll make the right play and he just moves on to the next play. Then, a few minutes later, he does it again.

“He’s opened a lot of eyes here this week.”

on what he wants to do playing for the summer league:

“I want to show the coaches I can make plays,” Leonard said. “Whether it’s dribbling the ball when I’m on the ball, just dribbling and coming off pick and rolls or in isolations, I want to show them that I can score the basketball and I don’t need help. I want to show them I don’t need to be just sitting in the corner, standing out there looking for somebody to play off me and give me a wide-open shot.”

Popovich can hardly contain his excitement for training camp.

“We’re wild with anticipation,” Popovich said. “We can’t wait to see what he’s going to be like next season.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/07/13/spurs-leonard-quietly-holds-own-vs-team-usa/

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Lord Leonard

mercos
07-14-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm hoping he becomes the team's next big superstar. He just fits right into the mold created by Robinson and Duncan. He's got the potential to be something special.

GB20
07-14-2012, 06:00 PM
[B]“I want to show the coaches I can make plays,” Leonard said. “Whether it’s dribbling the ball when I’m on the ball, just dribbling and coming off pick and rolls or in isolations, I want to show them that I can score the basketball and I don’t need help. I want to show them I don’t need to be just sitting in the corner, standing out there looking for somebody to play off me and give me a wide-open shot.”

coaches love to hear this from players

szkorhetz
07-14-2012, 06:02 PM
He made a shot at Pop and his role in the Spurs System...

Richie
07-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Can only be good for him participating in the USA Select team. Excited to see him next year

callo1
07-14-2012, 06:16 PM

Agree 100%...I saw it that way too.

I want to show them I don’t need to be just sitting in the corner, standing out there looking for somebody to play off me and give me a wide-open shot.

That is the way Pop used him, exactly.

I think Pop made a little jab back as well.

We’re wild with anticipation,” Popovich said. “We can’t wait to see what he’s going to be like next season.

Very subtle on both sides.

gambit1990
07-14-2012, 06:16 PM
i really wish there was video of the scrimmages.

at least there will be for the summer league. but still.

justinandimcool
07-14-2012, 06:23 PM
lol if he's unhappy with his role on the Spurs as it is then he better fucking show his stuff. make us proud brah.

BackHome
07-14-2012, 06:33 PM

He sure did and he should have I hate fucking Pop and other dumb asses saying he should be the next Bruce. Come on let the kid play and develop into what his potential and work ethic will create. Don't fucking pigeon whole the kid into a one dimensional player I thought Pop wold have learned from Manu.:bang

The next player who needs to go off on Pop out is Splitter.

So that would make three players calling out Pop ..Blair for his "Ok I am starting in regular season and winning and then they bench me and loose" and now we got Kawhi comments.........so the next is Splitter.....You see a trend?

MR-Clutch
07-14-2012, 06:39 PM
I think the rise of Leonard is goin to negate the further breakdown of Timmy and manu. Well be a better team next year.

lakerhaterade
07-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Barring injury, Leonrd has the upside to be an all-star.

DesignatedT
07-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Kawhi is a monster.

Mel_13
07-14-2012, 06:57 PM
I hate fucking Pop and other dumb asses

pigeon whole

Always happens.

spursfaninla
07-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I think Leonard will probably become a good starter who plays well on both sides of the ball, but he better know his role. He will never be a 1st or 2nd on a team, and I doubt he ever is depended on to score 15+ a game because he does not have what it takes to be a scorer.

He was successful scoring some plays where he cuts to the basket, and he will continue to be a good corner 3 shooter. I just don't see the right tools (speed) to be a creator. If he develops a mid-range game, great.

SenorSpur
07-14-2012, 06:59 PM

That's what I was thinking. Of course, I don't believe for a minute that there was any negativity toward what he said. He's just hungry for more responsibility and to demonstrate his versatility as an offensive player. It's a credit to him that he has the desire to continuing working hard and doesn't want to be pigeonholed.

MR-Clutch
07-14-2012, 07:02 PM
He has the body, mentality, and athleticism to be a top 15 player IMO.

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Quality thread.

:toast

SpurCharger
07-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Kawhi reminds me Of Gerald Wallace..... I think He will Have that Type of Career.

timvp
07-14-2012, 07:59 PM
:lol @ anyone who thinks that was a shot at Pop.

It's undoubtedly been drilled in Kawhi's head that the Spurs need him to be much more than a player who is satisfied by being a limited 4th or 5th option. For the Spurs to have a legit shot at a championship, Leonard needs to really blossom. For him to blossom as much as the Spurs need, that quote is the exact mindset he needs to have.

Leonard has to want to be great and also become stubborn enough to impose his will. If he's content to play Bowen's role, the Spurs championship window is closed. Pop and everyone associated with the Spurs knows that. It's good to see Leonard also knows that and wants to aggressively grow as a player.

Tbh, I'm much more worried that Leonard will be too passive than too aggressive.

rr2418
07-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Don't you all think he needs more strength in his legs? He doesn't seem to jump that high.

Mel_13
07-14-2012, 08:09 PM
xlQAiAtxaLA

MR-Clutch
07-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Kawhi reminds me Of Gerald Wallace..... I think He will Have that Type of Career.

I like Wallace and used to compare Leonard to him but it's clear he's so much more than that.

AusSpur
07-14-2012, 08:17 PM
He showed a bit of what he had in the Portland game this year when Timmy and Tony where rested. He made great plays on the ball and scored an efficent 24 points.

racm
07-14-2012, 08:26 PM
And the Spurs lost by 40.

If Leonard turns into a legit star and 2nd option at best Parker's shelf life is sustained.

TD 21
07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
He's got the potential to be knocking on the door of top ten small forwards, potentially as soon as next season and definitely within' two years. Eventually, if he maxes out on his potential, I could see him being on the fringe or in the discussion of the top five. But I think people are getting way too carried away. He's never going to be a superstar or a go-to scoring option. More like an outstanding role player on a championship caliber team or a pseudo star on an irrelevant team. Basically, the next Marion or Wallace.

As far as him "not being content to play Bowen's role", what's are they supposed to do? Take the ball out of two elite pick-and-roll creators and relegate them to spot up duty, so that he can blossom in an area that's probably never going to be his forte? Obviously, he's more dynamic and talented than Bowen, but I'd argue that they need him to get even better in the two areas Bowen excelled in: individual defense and three-point shooting. The latter came along shockingly well last season, to the point where I don't think it would surprise anyone if he shot 40% or better from three next season. But the former? He was relatively good, but they need him to be All-Defensive team caliber good.

racm
07-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Leonard shot 45% from three in the playoffs.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Leonard is the most exciting spur to watch.

I think the there should be a tacked Leonard thread at the top, first few pages being timvps game thoughts on Leonard, in sequence

I read some the other day, and it's just amazing, flat out amazing, how much Leonard grew last season. Never seen growth like that since I been following this team.

gambit1990
07-14-2012, 08:40 PM
:lol @ anyone who thinks that was a shot at Pop.

TD 21
07-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Leonard shot 45% from three in the playoffs.

The playoffs accounted for 14 games. Not exactly unequivocal proof that he's arrived as an elite three-point shooter. Like I said though, we saw enough progression and consistency as the season wore on to think he could shoot 40% or better next season. That's why I said his defense is the area they need him to improve the most. He may not have elite lateral quickness, but there's been plenty of guys with less who were All-Defensive team types. And aside from that, he's got virtually every necessary ingredient to be an elite defender.

Richie
07-14-2012, 08:45 PM
It's more important for the Spurs that Leonard becomes all defense rather than all star

boutons_deux
07-14-2012, 08:48 PM
I love the klutzy way he dribbles the ball on fast break at shoulder height!

racm
07-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Being an elite defender requires a combination of athleticism and smarts. If you don't have a lot of the former, make up for it with the latter. That's how Duncan and Bowen were one of the most elite post-perimeter defensive combos of the modern era.

The ADMIRAL 50
07-14-2012, 09:14 PM
after the amount of love I gave Kawhi this past season I didnt think it was possible for me to be more hyped on him. After reading that article, I am even more hyped up on Kawhi Leonard. Can't wait to continue watching his career unfold.

callo1
07-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I think Leonard will probably become a good starter who plays well on both sides of the ball, but he better know his role. He will never be a 1st or 2nd on a team, and I doubt he ever is depended on to score 15+ a game because he does not have what it takes to be a scorer.
He was successful scoring some plays where he cuts to the basket, and he will continue to be a good corner 3 shooter. I just don't see the right tools (speed) to be a creator. If he develops a mid-range game, great.

Hell, he should just give up trying to get better since you have the rest of his entire career figured out after his rookie season...no offense man, but that is just redunkulous.:rolleyes

callo1
07-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Leonard is the most exciting spur to watch.

I think the there should be a tacked Leonard thread at the top, first few pages being timvps game thoughts on Leonard, in sequence

I read some the other day, and it's just amazing, flat out amazing, how much Leonard grew last season. Never seen growth like that since I been following this team.

Agreed

Sean Cagney
07-14-2012, 09:54 PM
He has the body, mentality, and athleticism to be a top 15 player IMO.

With Tim getting older and most will be gone soon this would be a great transition since the Spurs will be rebuilding soon and they might have a piece to rebuild around! I would not mind this at all.

ChumpDumper
07-14-2012, 11:26 PM
:lol @ anyone who thinks that was a shot at Pop.Right, he's about to be force fed on offense for an entire summer league and people think Pop is against it.

Redshadows
07-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Damn, Leonard would be a HOF.

Can't wait to watch the summer league.

racm
07-14-2012, 11:36 PM
With Tim getting older and most will be gone soon this would be a great transition since the Spurs will be rebuilding soon and they might have a piece to rebuild around! I would not mind this at all.

Just like how the Spurs got Duncan when Robinson was getting older but still had something left in the tank?

This continues the Spurs' excellence at the 3, even if it was punctuated by the Dark Age of Richard Jefferson.

spurraider21
07-15-2012, 12:19 AM
I would love to see Kawhi develop a Paul Pierce-esque mid range jumper. Don't quite think he has the explosion to be some crazy above the rim guy, but he can throw it down when needed.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2012, 12:20 AM
The playoffs accounted for 14 games. Not exactly unequivocal proof that he's arrived as an elite three-point shooter.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_matt_bonner.jpg

"Well said! I feel the good people of Spurstalk misjudge me just because my 3 point percentage drops from 42% to 32% once the playoffs roll around! You all can suck my red hairy balls!"

TDMVPDPOY
07-15-2012, 01:24 AM
like i said, fuck the spurs system and the big 3 wankers

time to rebuild and move KL up the offensive system

we saw how easy it was for him to score last season, instead we took a guy out of college who was scoring inside with no problems, turning him into a spot up shooter...fkn lame

Obstructed_View
07-15-2012, 02:25 AM
I doubt it was a shot at Pop. If anything, Kawhi's repeating what Pop and the coaches have been telling him all along.

spurspokesman
07-15-2012, 06:49 AM

To some degree yes:wow

DMC
07-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Leonard is a solid player for his age/experience, however Spurs fan historically over estimates damn near every rookie. Blair was going to be the next Moses Malone.

Mel_13
07-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Leonard is a solid player for his age/experience, however Spurs fan historically over estimates damn near every rookie. Blair was going to be the next Moses Malone.

Unseld or Barkley, actually.

DMC
07-15-2012, 08:19 AM
like i said, fuck the spurs system and the big 3 wankers

time to rebuild and move KL up the offensive system

we saw how easy it was for him to score last season, instead we took a guy out of college who was scoring inside with no problems, turning him into a spot up shooter...fkn lame
So fuck what got the Spurs to where they are and kept them there for, oh, 14 years running. Do what you want to do and become the Charlotte Bobcats.

racm
07-15-2012, 08:55 AM
By chance do you remember a 26th pick named Rajon Rondo?

Had he not played along 3 Hall of Famers he probably wouldn't be the crazy assist machine he is now.

8FOR!3
07-15-2012, 09:32 AM
LOL lay off Pop guys, he started Leonard as a rookie last year, I'm pretty sure they don't hate each other. I wouldn't exactly say he's in the doghouse.

Bill_Brasky
07-15-2012, 09:58 AM

I know you didn't just compare Leonard to Blair..

therealtruth
07-15-2012, 09:59 AM
The playoffs accounted for 14 games. Not exactly unequivocal proof that he's arrived as an elite three-point shooter. Like I said though, we saw enough progression and consistency as the season wore on to think he could shoot 40% or better next season. That's why I said his defense is the area they need him to improve the most. He may not have elite lateral quickness, but there's been plenty of guys with less who were All-Defensive team types. And aside from that, he's got virtually every necessary ingredient to be an elite defender.

He didn't shrink from the moment unlike a certain red haired choker on our team. That's all that matters.

racm
07-15-2012, 10:21 AM
For what it's worth, he saw playing time in the WCF.

DPG21920
07-15-2012, 10:24 AM
I see Pippen when I see Kawhi (if he reaches his full ceiling).

DPG21920
07-15-2012, 10:29 AM
But that would take a pretty massive jump in ball handling and passing to reach that ceiling and I am not sure he can make that improvement in those areas.

racm
07-15-2012, 10:51 AM
I see Leonard as an elite finisher, not a playmaker.

Cane
07-15-2012, 11:48 AM
For what it's worth, he saw playing time in the WCF.

Speaking of which:

3tO-9Xvymw0

D_nPd7PFfoQ

Dude's gonna be special

MR-Clutch
07-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I see Leonard as an elite finisher, not a playmaker.

I disagree. He's has displayed good court vision when given the chance. We will see even more starting tonight.

DMC
07-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I know you didn't just compare Leonard to Blair..
I didn't. That would be a stupid comparison.

I was comparing the expectations then to now.

Let the guy develop before putting the crown of expectations on his head that's likely too heavy for him to wear.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I see Pippen when I see Kawhi (if he reaches his full ceiling).

Minus the migraines and periods, hopefully.