PDA

View Full Version : Top 15 Bigman Candidates for the Minimum

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
07-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Following the recent flurry of moves, the San Antonio Spurs can only offer a minimum contract when wooing free agents. One area the Spurs may want to address is an addition bench bigman. While San Antonio currently has five bigs, the future of DeJuan Blair -- who has been in trade talk -- is murky. Additionally, Tiago Splitter, Boris Diaw and Matt Bonner may all become free agents next summer.

The Spurs could opt to sign a sixth bigman from their summer league roster or fill the void via trade. However, if they look elsewhere, here are my top 15 candidates who may be available for a minimum salary.

1. Luis Scola
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3653.jpg
The Rockets used the amnesty provision to make Luis Scola's contract disappear. On Sunday afternoon, we'll know whether Scola was claimed in the amnesty waiver process. While I expect him to be claimed, there's a chance he'll fall through the cracks and become an unrestricted free agent. If that happens, he should absolutely become priority No. 1 for the Spurs. Although his level of play fell off drastically last season, he's still an above average bigman who can score in the paint, nail open jumpers and, most importantly, compete with a fiery edge. Scola doesn't bring much on the defensive end of the court but he'd be a very useful player and an absolute bargain at the minimum. And while he may get offered more money on the open market, in San Antonio he'd be able to join a couple close friends (Tiago Splitter and Manu Ginobili) and step into a defined role immediately.

2. Kenyon Martin
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3400.jpg
When Kenyon Martin returned to the U.S. after playing in China in the middle of last season, he nearly signed with the Spurs before inking a deal with the Clippers. Now that the Clippers have cut ties with him, don't be surprised if Martin again enters San Antonio's cross-hairs. While he doesn't score much or rebound at an especially high level, the 34-year-old theoretically fits rather well. Defensively, he's a great pick-and-roll defender who can also guard the post and protect the rim. On offense, his jumper is good enough to space the court moderately well. Martin is also regarded as a tough guy who plays with contagious confidence.

3. Jon Leuer
http://dailyelements.com/leuer.jpg
Jon Leuer isn't a free agent yet but he could be soon. He got traded to the Rockets earlier in the summer and has a contract that becomes fully guaranteed if he isn't released by the end of July. With Houston looking to clear salary cap space, it's not too likely they'll keep him around. If Leuer is indeed released, the fit with the Spurs is virtually seamless. At 6-foot-10 without shoes, Leuer is a very good mid-range shooter who should be able to develop a three-point shot. He's comfortable out on the perimeter and is a plus passer, above average ballhandler for his size and plays a smart brand of basketball. In his rookie season last year with the Bucks, he wasn't very good defensively but he's an adequate rebounder who has the size and mobility to become average on that end once he adds more strength. The 23-year-old fits now and still is young enough to improve.

4. Ronny Turiaf
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3963.jpg
With three Frenchmen already on the roster, a fourth won't hurt anybody. Turiaf is injury-prone and isn't overly skilled but he fits in many ways. Offensively, he's a strong finisher around the basket and an underrated passer. He used to have a good jumper so that ability might return in San Antonio's system. On defense, Turiaf is basically just a 6-foot-10, 245-pound ball of energy. He's not a very good rebounder but that's mostly because he tries to block every shot in his vicinity. He can defend pick-and-rolls and even stop out on the perimeter, however he also fouls a whole lot. Turiaf isn't good enough (or durable enough) to start but he could be a strong role player off the bench.

5. D.J. White
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4491.jpg
Even though he's 25 and was drafted back in 2008, it's difficult to figure out what exactly D.J. White is as an NBA player. He began his career buried on the Thunder's bench and then got traded to Charlotte where he has been mired in the Bobcats misery the last two seasons. At 6-foot-9 and 235 pounds, White can sink mid-range jumpers, pass reasonably well and he doesn't make many mistakes. Defensively, he's not a world-beater but he has the wherewithal to become capable in the Spurs system. The main drawback with White is he's coming off of a poor season that was by far the worst of his career. But, in my view, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk that up to him being stuck on the worst team in NBA history. Thus, White could be one of the better buy-low free agents on the market.

6. Jermaine O'Neal
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3120.jpg
Jermaine O'Neal is just about the most injury-prone player in the NBA. He hasn't been able to play more than 70 games in any campaign since the 2004 season. And it seems to always be a new body part that is breaking down. All that said, O'Neal makes some sense for the Spurs. They can make him a full-time bench player for the first time in his career, which may help him stay healthy. When he's on the court, O'Neal is a very good defender; there are still only a handful of players who defend the rim better. He can defend the post and is blessed with quick defensive reflexes. Offensively, the 33-year-old can't do much anymore but he has a jumper that can't totally be ignored and he finishes strong at the basket.

7. Anthony Tolliver
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4371.jpg
Since leaving the Spurs, Anthony Tolliver has carved out a decent career. He's bounced around a bit but he looks like a legit NBA player. At 6-foot-8, Tolliver is undersized for power power and he doesn't rebound or block shots especially well. However, he's a very good passer for a bigman who also hustles endlessly, plays smart and is deceptively quick. The main reason why Tolliver could be available for the minimum is that his three-point touch vanished last year. After shooting better than 40% from deep in 2011, he was less than 25% last season for the T'Wolves. (The Spurs know all about how streaky he can be from beyond the arc. He basically made the Spurs by shooting lights out in summer league and then got waived because he couldn't hit a shot in the regular season.) If Tolliver hits three-pointers at a decent level, he's a quality bench player. If not, he doesn't do enough well to counterbalance that weakness. The Spurs may take another look at Tolliver if they think he can hit threes consistently enough.

8. Shelden Williams
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4133.jpg
Shelden Williams is the prototypical banger who doesn't hurt your team as a fifth bigman. He lacks skill but he can defend the rim decently and rebound well. Williams doesn't back down from contact and is also regarded as a good chemistry guy in the locker room. Other than those positive traits, though, he's a bland player. Offensively, his hands aren't good and he lacks a feel for the game. If he scores, it's usually a simple shot right at the rim. Defensively, his reactions can be slow and his lack of speed from baseline to baseline can be detrimental.

9. Josh Harrellson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4927.jpg
Like Leuer, Josh Harrellson is currently property of the Rockets. Also like Leuer, he has an unguaranteed contract that will probably end up being torn to pieces. As a rookie last season for the Knicks, Harrellson flashed some potential. He's a big dude (6-foot-10, 275 pounds) who can defend the post on defense and shoot three-pointers on offense. Harrellson's rebounding and shotblocking are also above average. However, it should be noted that most of his success came with Mike D'Antoni at the helm and his bulk hurts his mobility on the defensive end. Overall, though, Harrellson is a relatively unique prospect who could be worth a look if he becomes available.

10. Louis Amundson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4190.jpg
Offensively, Louis Amundson is a train wreck. He struggles to finish even the simplest of shots and he can't shoot free throws or pass. But defensively Amundson is good enough that he may enter the picture. He plays with great energy, rebounds well and blocks shots. Amundson is also mobile enough to defend pick-and-rolls and fast enough to play quality transition defense. But, again, his offense is just so bad that he might not be able to hang.

11. Darko Milicic
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3705.jpg
As you can guess by his placement on this list, I'm not a Darko Milicic fan. Unless he's getting consistent minutes, he's a horrible teammate who refuses to work hard. He may not be a chemistry killer -- but he's close. Even when he gets minutes, he's just not that good. Offensively, he clogs the lane and forces bad shots. While he's a talented passer when he looks to share the ball, he's selfish more often than not. Defensively, Milicic's combination of height (7-feet), bulk (275 pounds) and agility makes him attractive in theory, but it has never materialized into consistent production. Add in his shaky rebounding, his often questionable effort level, his cancerous attitude and I'd prefer the Spurs look elsewhere. Milicic's ceiling is undeniably high but I highly doubt he'll ever come anywhere close.

12. Yi Jianlian
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4284.jpg
Before Yi Jianlian agreed to join the Mavericks last season, the Spurs were said to have interest in him. While with the Mavs, Jianlian dominated in two games on the D-League level but failed to make an impact once called up to Dallas. The 24-year-old is the ultimate workout wonder. He can run, jump and shoot the lights out in drills. It's obvious he's been trained very well on his individual skill. However, the native of China really struggles to incorporate his skills into a team setting. Jianlian is the most robotic player in the league and lacks any semblance of basketball IQ or natural feel for the game. It's rare that a 7-footer who is relatively strong and exceedingly talented isn't a wanted man in the NBA -- but Jianlian is the exception. Maybe he can learn how to play basketball outside of drills but I wouldn't bet on it.

13. Hamed Haddadi
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4531.jpg
Hamed Haddadi is 7-foot-2 and longer than Ali Khamenei's reign. He's also a great rebounder and a very good shotblocker. Offensively, he's a high percentage shooter with good touch. Unfortunately, his weakness are extreme: He's very slow, very immobile, gets tired quickly and isn't a smart player. Haddadi is somewhat useful on the right team but he'll never be much more than a niche player who can go for a couple minutes at a time. If he ever averages ten minutes per game over a season, I'd be surprised. Haddadi wouldn't be a horrible signing but his ceiling is low and it takes unique circumstances to even put him on the court.

14. Nazr Mohammed
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3272.jpg
We've officially reached the "Well, he has six fouls" portion of this list. The stats suggest Mohammed fell off a cliff last season. Subjectively, I agree. Considering it's been a while since he was a decent player even when he was on sturdy ground, I don't see much value in him now. Mohammed is a good teammate who brings experience but his weaknesses (bad hands, slow reactions, lack of mobility) are even more pronounced now that he's old.

15. Joel Przybilla
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3408.jpg
The Spurs have shown interest in Joel Przybilla in the past -- as recently as last season. But after numerous knee injuries, it looks like Przybilla has reached the end of the line. He can still rebound and block shots decently well but he's probably the worst offensive player in the league right now. With his drop in athleticism, it's difficult to imagine Przybilla as more than a 12th man. He's a good teammate who can come in and knock people around so he'd be a serviceable 12th man -- but that's about the extent of his usefulness these days.

racm
07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Harrellson might be a better stretch big than Bonner, tbh...

DesignatedT
07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Amundson is a interesting player IMO. Very high energy guy

suitedkings
07-14-2012, 08:32 PM
sign em all!

gambit1990
07-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Amundson is a interesting player IMO. Very high energy guy

i would have him and darko a little higher on the list.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Good list

I'd put Jermaine in at number 11 though

kobyz
07-14-2012, 08:59 PM
top 3 are not an options:
1. Luis Scola will be claimed by Dallas
2. Kenyon Martin will resign by the Clippers who need big like him with Blake Griffin injury profile and after trading Reggie Evans.
3. Jon Leuer will not become free agent, if the Rockets don't keep him, he will be traded for second round pick at least cause he's an intriguer prospect.

too bad we couldn't get Rashard Lewis, what about Antawn Jamison?

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-14-2012, 09:04 PM
After Turiaf I'm not interested & i hope the spurs are not either(with the exception of Haddadi)

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-14-2012, 09:08 PM
top 3 are not an options:
1. Luis Scola will be claimed by Dallas
2. Kenyon Martin will resign by the Clippers who need big like him with Blake Griffin injury profile and after trading Reggie Evans.
3. Jon Leuer will not become free agent, if the Rockets don't keep him, he will be traded for second round pick at least cause he's an intriguer prospect.

too bad we couldn't get Rashard Lewis, what about Antawn Jamison?
Clippers traded for Odom so i doubt Martin will be back in LA.

Juggity
07-14-2012, 09:09 PM
13. Hamed Haddadi
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4531.jpg
Hamed Haddadi is 7-foot-2 and longer than Ali Khamenei's reign.

:lol

TD 21
07-14-2012, 09:12 PM
I heard a while ago that the Clippers will not bring Martin back. The Odom acquisition basically closed the door on that. Word was they are interested in Hollins and now Milicic, to be their backup center.

Then I heard that the Nets were interested in Martin, but they're reportedly close to re-signing Humphries and have already signed Teletovic and Evans. So I'd imagine they're turning their attention to signing a center (they're supposedly interested in Milicic too, but less so than the Clippers and Celtics).

Martin's got a big ego though and I don't think he could settle for not only making the veteran's minimum, but being told that he wouldn't be assured a spot in the rotation, which is probably what the Spurs would tell him. I can't imagine he'd put up with not playing ahead of Bonner or even sharing the fourth big role with him. But, I'm fairly certain that he claimed he was very interested in the Spurs last off season (damn near everyone who spurns them says this though), he's from Texas and no contender really needs a power forward, so who knows.

More likely, presuming Blair is jettisoned, they sign someone less high profile, like Turiaf or White. If Blair is kept and they go with six, then expect a project type, like Ajinca, or if he shows well in Summer League/preseason, Green.

Duncan2177
07-14-2012, 09:13 PM
If Scola doesn't come to the spurs I have a feeling they will get Martin.

4down
07-14-2012, 09:16 PM
sign em all!

truth

nice write up

ElNono
07-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the writeup, timvp... I have an odd request: If Matty wouldn't be a Spur and would be available, where would you rank him on that list? Thanks.

SenorSpur
07-14-2012, 09:21 PM
After Turiaf I'm not interested & i hope the spurs are not either(with the exception of Haddadi)

Agree.

In my opinion, Turiaf, not Scola, appears to be the best choice for what the Spurs need. As much as I like Scola, and there's no doubt that he is the best and most skilled of the bunch, it just makes no sense to bring in a guy for the minimum if he is unable to address some of the basic deficiencies and needs that the Spurs have. Three of which are defense, shotblocking and rebounding. Scoring is always nice, but for this team, it shouldn't be the priority when choosing a big from this list.

Knowing Pop though, he's probably salivating over the remote possibility of getting Scola on the cheap. Pop would certainly be willing to overlook his defensive liabilities. However, I think that would be a mistake.

Now, if they could add Scola while subtracting Bonner, then you're doing the frontline a solid.

CGD
07-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I would add that Brazilian kid and Ajinca to the list. Leuer would be my preference. I didn't realize he would become Unguaranteed potentially in a matter of weeks. If Houston picks him up I'm inquiring what they would want: Neal, 2nd? (Blair won't do to the PF heavy Rockets).

callo1
07-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Darko 5th and O'neal 12th.

Spurs9
07-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Ladi dadi Haddadi likes to party. I'd take him tbh

benefactor
07-14-2012, 09:41 PM
If the Spurs miss out on Scola then Turiaf will be the guy.

ploto
07-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Interesting how many of those guys the Spurs supposedly tried to sign when they were in their prime. I think the Spurs would be better served by one of the younger players on the list than an over-the-hill one.

ivanfromwestwood
07-14-2012, 09:55 PM
How bout another look at Malcolm Thomas? Do the rockets still hold his rights?

ElNono
07-14-2012, 10:01 PM
If Scola can't be had, I would be OK with KMart or Turiaf... the problem though is if they take minutes away from Tiago instead of Matt...

timvp
07-14-2012, 10:10 PM
too bad we couldn't get Rashard Lewis, what about Antawn Jamison?I probably would have put Lewis seven and I had Jamison at two but after doing more research, I don't think he ends up signing for the minimum.

Thanks for the writeup, timvp... I have an odd request: If Matty wouldn't be a Spur and would be available, where would you rank him on that list? Thanks.Tough question. If Bonner had put up the same stats elsewhere but it wasn't yet clear he was a playoff choker, I'd put him two or three. But if we're talking about known playoff choker Bonner, probably eleven.

I would add that Brazilian kid and Ajinca to the list. Leuer would be my preference.The Brazilian kid's stats in Spain were pretty weak. I'd have to watch more video on him to see if he's even list-worthy, tbh.

As I mentioned, I purposely left out the summer league options since we'll know a lot more about them in the coming week or so. Right this second, Ajinca would probably be around 14.

Duncan2177
07-14-2012, 10:14 PM
How bout another look at Malcolm Thomas? Do the rockets still hold his rights?

Scrub :lol

ElNono
07-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Tough question. If Bonner had put up the same stats elsewhere but it wasn't yet clear he was a playoff choker, I'd put him two or three. But if we're talking about known playoff choker Bonner, probably eleven.

Sounds about right... I had him at 7...

Blake
07-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Jermaine ONeal is only 33?

Redshadows
07-14-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't see Scola clearing waiver.

So first of all, I hope the Spurs would go after Martin, then trade Blair.

If the Spurs could finally get rid of Bonner, I would like the Spurs to sign Yi as the fifth big.

Though Yi is not a very good NBA player, he is a professional player and won't complain about playing time.

What I worry most is that if the Spurs wait for Scola and couldn't get him finally, players like Martin might be signed by others.

spurs10
07-14-2012, 10:26 PM
We find out at 4:00 tomorrow if Scola clears waivers, correct? Cuban is who I'm worried about.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-14-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't see Scola clearing waiver.

So first of all, I hope the Spurs would go after Martin, then trade Blair.

If the Spurs could finally get rid of Bonner, I would like the Spurs to sign Yi as the fifth big.

Though Yi is not a very good NBA player, he is a professional player and won't complain about playing time.

What I worry most is that if the Spurs wait for Scola and couldn't get him finally, players like Martin might be signed by others.

??? Jezuuus. Take a fucking pill. We'll know if he's available 4PM CST tomorrow.

Yi also isn't a professional player, he's a professional workout artist, or didn't you read the review? Once the ball goes up and there are ten players on the court, he's completely lost.

Spursfanfromafar
07-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Jermaine O'Neal, if he can play spot minutes can be a very good addition. Best defensive player of this lot. We have enough offense. Pairing O'Neal with anyone else in the Spurs bigs would be a good one. If only he can stay a tad healthy.

Redshadows
07-14-2012, 10:52 PM
??? Jezuuus. Take a fucking pill. We'll know if he's available 4PM CST tomorrow.

Of course I hope he would clear waiver.

But last summer, after the Spurs spent time in Caron Bulter, players like Mike Dunleavy was signed.

I don't wanna see it happen again.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Of course I hope he would clear waiver.

But last summer, after the Spurs spent time in Caron Bulter, players like Mike Dunleavy was signed.

I don't wanna see it happen again.

If we had signed Dunleavy or Butler, RJ would have been amnestied, and we never would have gotten Jack back. Some things work out for the best.

Mel_13
07-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Looking forward to the "Top ten bigs that may be available for the minimum" thread.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6021691&postcount=7

Thanks for exceeding expectations.

timvp
07-14-2012, 11:30 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6021691&postcount=7

Thanks for exceeding expectations.

I forgot to thank you in the OP for the idea. Thanks :tu

pad300
07-14-2012, 11:47 PM
How did Greg Oden not make this list? Gimpy, needing more rehab and all. Upside and having actually done something in the league should put him at about 10th, he's probably physically more reliable than Jermaine O'neal...

timvp
07-14-2012, 11:54 PM
How did Greg Oden not make this list? Gimpy, needing more rehab and all. Upside and having actually done something in the league should put him at about 10th, he's probably physically more reliable than Jermaine O'neal...

I'm in favor of signing Oden but that would be more of a project for the future instead of him actually filling a role anytime soon. Highly doubt he plays basketball this season.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2012, 12:09 AM
It's a nice list, LJ...really it is.

However, I'm hoping that we'll abandon even pursuing anyone past #6 on your list and see what opportunities present themselves during the season. The list could have been called, "My Top 6 Bigman Candidates for the Minimum, and Some Additional Scrap Mentionables".

Doesn't roll off the tongue quite like your title, though.

:toast

Mel_13
07-15-2012, 12:18 AM
If Bonner had put up the same stats elsewhere but it wasn't yet clear he was a playoff choker, I'd put him two or three.

If that was true, he wouldn't be available for the minimum and wouldn't be on the list at all. (Novak 4/15)

Mel_13
07-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Turiaf remains my choice as most likely vet min signing, with Shelden Williams second. Williams just always looked like a Spur to me.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2012, 12:26 AM
I'd be interested to see how Kenyon Martin did on the Spurs. Having the 1997 and 2000 number 1 overall picks on the same team...stacked baby!!!

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Ehj ftw

jiggy_55
07-15-2012, 03:39 AM
No Anthony Randolph?

Bruno
07-15-2012, 03:51 AM
With 5 vet PF/C, I think Spurs are fine quantity wise. They have an issue quality wise for the backup PF spot and, in this list, only Scola an K-Mart are good enough to pass both Bonner and Blair in the rotation.

Aside of the top 2 players, Sheldon Williams is a player I really like. He is a tough blue collar player. Leuer and to a lesser extent Yi are intriguing too.

mudyez
07-15-2012, 04:01 AM
I'm all for Yi! then...http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7c6lp8z

That would give us at least one from every continent and (main-)race!

...shouldn't that make Stern finally a Spurs fan???

Spurtacus
07-15-2012, 04:08 AM
Scola would be #1 on my list but a pipe dream at the minimum.

I would have Anthony Randolph ranked in the top 10.

smaka
07-15-2012, 04:20 AM
:lol is Jermaine's head photoshoped? What a high forehead.

spurspokesman
07-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Agree.

In my opinion, Turiaf, not Scola, appears to be the best choice for what the Spurs need. As much as I like Scola, and there's no doubt that he is the best and most skilled of the bunch, it just makes no sense to bring in a guy for the minimum if he is unable to address some of the basic deficiencies and needs that the Spurs have. Three of which are defense, shotblocking and rebounding. Scoring is always nice, but for this team, it shouldn't be the priority when choosing a big from this list.

Knowing Pop though, he's probably salivating over the remote possibility of getting Scola on the cheap. Pop would certainly be willing to overlook his defensive liabilities. However, I think that would be a mistake.

Now, if they could add Scola while subtracting Bonner, then you're doing the frontline a solid.
This. Scola is a beast but not in the department we need him to be. We have a plethora of scorers and we are severely lacking interior D. Without addressing this need we should look forward to a repeat of last season. I really hope the spurs stay focused on needs rather than luxury.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-15-2012, 07:08 AM
This. Scola is a beast but not in the department we need him to be. We have a plethora of scorers and we are severely lacking interior D. Without addressing this need we should look forward to a repeat of last season. I really hope the spurs stay focused on needs rather than luxury.
yes lets sign one of the other bigs on the list so bonner can still play regular minutes. :bang

lmbebo
07-15-2012, 09:05 AM
As much as I want the spurs to add a big man, for some reason I feel they'll either leave teh spot open or sign another short guard.

CGD
07-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Actually if you think about it, none of our bigs right now can realiably play with their back to the basket, which would have been a nice option against okc since they took away out penetrate and kick game. Duncan sadly is not the same player there, and I still can't get the embarrassing image of Fisher successfully guarding Tiago in the post. I would argue that Scola adds that dimension which I think we really do need.

timvp
07-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Anthony Randolph isn't signing for the minimum.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Only the top 3 and Shelden Williams are players I'd be willing to sign. The rest of that list looks pretty depressing.

DPG21920
07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
You are really high on Leuer - I am higher on Tolliver (not over Leuer, just on this list). I would move Tolliver to 4.

SA210
07-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Honestly, if we can't get Scola, I'd go with Jermaine O' Neal. Injury prone yea, but we need defense.

We have scorers, we need more aggression and defense. Bottom line.

Oh why do I even give a fuck. Stern is there in the end anyway.

:pctoss

therealtruth
07-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Actually if you think about it, none of our bigs right now can realiably play with their back to the basket, which would have been a nice option against okc since they took away out penetrate and kick game. Duncan sadly is not the same player there, and I still can't get the embarrassing image of Fisher successfully guarding Tiago in the post. I would argue that Scola adds that dimension which I think we really do need.

I agree we need better post scoring. Both Diaw and Splitter should get some time to run the offense out of the post. It gives us different looks to throw at defenses and a way to throw their offense of rhythm.

tesseractive
07-15-2012, 12:48 PM
So I don't really know Jon Leuer's game, but from that synopsis, he sounds like Bonner minus the red hair. Is that about the size of it?

pirhanna
07-15-2012, 01:03 PM
@OP

As far as Scola goes, there is zero chance he won't be claimed off waivers. Dude, Brendan Haywood was claimed lol. Someone will get him. There's lots of teams still under the cap.

-21-
07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
They said they were looking for a 'physical center' but didn't the Spurs go after Marcus Camby? Camby is in no way physical. Maybe the Spurs just said they need a 'physical center' as a smokescreen for guys like Haywood, Kaman, Brand, and Kwame to get signed before other bigs like K-Mart or Scola.

Anyway, this is a great list timvp. My favorites are K-Mart, Turiaf, DJ White, and Tolliver. I'd put Scola in but someone is probably gonna claim him.

Sense
07-15-2012, 01:31 PM
1, 2, or Leuer.. I'd rather stick with what we got than get any of the other ones.

Kindergarten Cop
07-15-2012, 03:06 PM
They said they were looking for a 'physical center' but didn't the Spurs go after Marcus Camby? Camby is in no way physical. Maybe the Spurs just said they need a 'physical center' as a smokescreen for guys like Haywood, Kaman, Brand, and Kwame to get signed before other bigs like K-Mart or Scola.

Anyway, this is a great list timvp. My favorites are K-Mart, Turiaf, DJ White, and Tolliver. I'd put Scola in but someone is probably gonna claim him.

Technically, the Spurs FO didn't say they were looking for a "physical center" (at least not to us). It was Lorbek that stated that the Spurs were looking into one. Whether or not the Spurs told him this or not has not been confirmed to my knowledge - or if they did tell him that, if it was the truth.

Biggems
07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
we have the ability to score, what we need is defense in the paint.........what happened to the days when there were a bunch of defensive minded bigs available, guys like Haley, who couldn't score to save their lives, but could give you the interior presence you needed on the defensive side of the ball.

all these guys can score, or could score, but for the most part are crap defenders.....man, the league sure has changed over the last 5 or so years.

Mr Bones
07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I'd add Dominic McGuire as a combo forward borderline big for his energy, and Fesenko for his massive size and limited potential.

therealtruth
07-15-2012, 07:35 PM
we have the ability to score, what we need is defense in the paint.........what happened to the days when there were a bunch of defensive minded bigs available, guys like Haley, who couldn't score to save their lives, but could give you the interior presence you needed on the defensive side of the ball.

all these guys can score, or could score, but for the most part are crap defenders.....man, the league sure has changed over the last 5 or so years.

I agree. I think the keys for the team are better post offense and defense. With Diaw and Leonard and Green the defense should improve from RJ and Blair.

dunkman
07-15-2012, 07:48 PM
K-Mart is still a good player. I guess he could be an alternative to Scola.

Redshadows
07-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Just give a god damn phone call to Martin and offer him a god damn offer.

Duncan2177
07-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Just give a god damn phone call to Martin and offer him a god damn offer.

We have Matt Bonner:pop::pctoss

Obstructed_View
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/article7328.ece/BINARY/w620x413/+Charles+Haley+

timvp
07-15-2012, 08:59 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/article7328.ece/BINARY/w620x413/+Charles+Haley+

:lmao That's who I thought he was talking about too.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Martin isn't perfect, but given the situation you take him.

I could see a Jermaine O'Neal, but then you have 3 centers...who makes sense defending the 4 in a league in which tall swingmen play the 4?

The only reason I'd go with an outside shooting big is just so Pop might be forced to end his mancrush on Bonner and play someone else with better defense and rebounding.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2012, 10:08 PM
:lmao That's who I thought he was talking about too.

If you say Haley and defense, it's the only face that pops into my head. The only Haley I remember on the Spurs didn't play defense. In fact, the only thing I remember him doing is being Rodman's friend and picking a fight with that ugly little point guard from the Nuggets in garbage time of a playoff game.

ace3g
07-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Right now my 3 choices would be Dominic McGuire, Kenyon Martin, or James Singleton.

BackHome
07-15-2012, 10:29 PM

Well not to sure but watching us play against OK no one wanted to shot the ball. It was like the ball was a hot brick the way our players were throwing it around to each other.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Any reason you didn't put Anthony Randolph on that list? Yes, I know he's a headcase, and I know he's failed to live up to his potential, but the potential is still there and Pop/Tim could be just the guys to bring it out of him.

Otherwise, I'm intrigued by K-Mart (even though I don't like him, this team has lacked a tough SOB for some time), Leuer and Harellson.

Mel_13
07-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Any reason you didn't put Anthony Randolph on that list? Yes, I know he's a headcase, and I know he's failed to live up to his potential, but the potential is still there and Pop/Tim could be just the guys to bring it out of him.

Otherwise, I'm intrigued by K-Mart (even though I don't like him, this team has lacked a tough SOB for some time), Leuer and Harellson.

Anthony Randolph isn't signing for the minimum.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks Mel. Missed that. :oops

timvp
07-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Right now my 3 choices would be Dominic McGuire, Kenyon Martin, or James Singleton.

I consider McGuire and Singleton small forwards. Tbh, I've never seen McGuire play in the paint; in fact, last game of the season he was playing point guard for the Warriors for a stretch. Singleton is too small to survive as a full time four, IMO.

SequSpur
07-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Kenyon Martin...

who is mel_13 anyway?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2012, 11:26 PM
I have a strange feeling we'll end up with K-Mart, and that wouldn't be a bad fit (unless his histrionics on the court lead to chemistry issues, which is unlikely but not out of the realm of possibility).

Oh, and timvp, absolutely loving your writing over the past few months. IMHO, you've taken it to another level entirely. Thank you. :toast :D

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Kenyon Martin...

who is mel_13 anyway?

I don't know, except that he's a good poster with solid takes, unlike the trash you spread around the place... :lmao ;)

SequSpur
07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Oh, and timvp, absolutely loving your writing over the past few months. IMHO, you've taken it to another level entirely. Thank you. :toast :D

Stop kissing ass.

SequSpur
07-15-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't know, except that he's a good poster with solid takes, unlike the trash you spread around the place... :lmao ;)

whatever..:rolleyes

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Stop kissing ass.

I'm not "kissing ass". I'm letting a friend know that his work is drastically improving even when it was very good to start with. It's called encouragement and support, mate. ;)

TDMVPDPOY
07-16-2012, 12:11 AM
i say bring back dawson see what he can do again...

Mr Bones
07-16-2012, 02:07 AM
I consider McGuire and Singleton small forwards. Tbh, I've never seen McGuire play in the paint; in fact, last game of the season he was playing point guard for the Warriors for a stretch. Singleton is too small to survive as a full time four, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQODruTg09U

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-16-2012, 02:17 AM
You guys could sign Birdman. I am assuming he will get amnestied before the deadline.

Hopefully he won't end up in jail.

Ice009
07-16-2012, 02:29 AM
You guys could sign Birdman. I am assuming he will get amnestied before the deadline.

Hopefully he won't end up in jail.

I don't think the Spurs would want him. What exactly did he do? I recall they said in the playoffs last year he was helping the police? Was he actually helping them or was he being the one looked at for something?

Dingle Barry
07-16-2012, 03:57 AM
We need some got damn above average post defense and toughness way more than anything else, even if it's true that our backup center does get shut down by point guards. Give me Turiaf or Martin over Scola or this budding bonner Leuer kid any day of the week.

J O'Neal would be sweet if his broke ass could play more than half a season.

Hoping for Martin.

therealtruth
07-16-2012, 05:10 AM
We need some got damn above average post defense and toughness way more than anything else, even if it's true that our backup center does get shut down by point guards. Give me Turiaf or Martin over Scola or this budding bonner Leuer kid any day of the week.

J O'Neal would be sweet if his broke ass could play more than half a season.

Hoping for Martin.

Your letting one play characterize your evaluation of Splitter. Plus Fisher is one of the best floppers ever. Lebron also failed to post up JJ Barea (who's smaller than Fisher) in the Finals. Does that characterize him?

SsKSpurs21
07-16-2012, 09:35 AM
TBH, i think Blair is just as good, if not better than most of the people on this list. yet, everyone wants these guys to leapfrog him in the rotation.

Blair is better and younger than turiaf in my opinion.

TD 21
07-16-2012, 02:30 PM
You either forgot about or neglected to mention Dorsey. He's basically a bigger, stronger Blair. Only unlike Blair, he's still an elite rebounder and he's actually a solid post defender too. He's not as skilled and he may not be Spurs material, but for the minimum and as a fifth big, they could do much worse.

ChumpDumper
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Keith Benson carved up the Spurs' defense yesterday in SL. Did a lot of things the Spurs should want out of a mobile big man. I do think that if Richards shows just a little more in the next three games, he probably gets a roster spot for a season if he signs his tender and forces the issue.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't think the Spurs would want him. What exactly did he do? I recall they said in the playoffs last year he was helping the police? Was he actually helping them or was he being the one looked at for something?

A fan was stalking him, and then accused him of having kiddie porn on his computer.

timvp
07-16-2012, 05:04 PM
You either forgot about or neglected to mention Dorsey. He's basically a bigger, stronger Blair. Only unlike Blair, he's still an elite rebounder and he's actually a solid post defender too. He's not as skilled and he may not be Spurs material, but for the minimum and as a fifth big, they could do much worse.
Forgot about Dorsey but I'm not a fan. 14th spot on the list at best. Undersized, horrible offensively, stays in the paint to rebound and a bad apple by most accounts. Plus, he's turning 29 at the beginning of the season so it's not like he has untapped upside. Considering rebounding is one of this team's main strengths, I'd probably pass on him altogether, tbh.

Hassan Whiteside was released today by the Kings. He has also been a pretty damn good shotblocker but still a major project. If the Spurs don't like Ajinca or Richards, Whiteside is a similar down-the-road player who may eventually blossom.

TD 21
07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Forgot about Dorsey but I'm not a fan. 14th spot on the list at best. Undersized, horrible offensively, stays in the paint to rebound and a bad apple by most accounts. Plus, he's turning 29 at the beginning of the season so it's not like he has untapped upside. Considering rebounding is one of this team's main strengths, I'd probably pass on him altogether, tbh.

Hassan Whiteside was released today by the Kings. He has also been a pretty damn good shotblocker but still a major project. If the Spurs don't like Ajinca or Richards, Whiteside is a similar down-the-road player who may eventually blossom.

He's not Spurs material, so I doubt they'd pursue him. As far as "rebounding is one of this team's main strengths", I think that's deceiving. They have one high level rebounder amongst their bigs and he only plays 28 mpg. Presuming they trade Blair (which is the point of this thread), they could use another big that rebounds at at least a respectable level.

Whiteside is known to be immature and lacking in basketball IQ, so I doubt they'll pursue him. Speaking of Whiteside and Richards, supposedly the Kings promised Richards they'd pick him at 33 in '10, but when Whiteside unexpectedly fell to them, obviously that changed.

Bruno
07-17-2012, 03:15 AM
It looks more and more that Rockets will waive Leuer. He doesn't play at all with their SL team. Unless he is injured, he should be waived before Thursday when his contract became guaranteed. Once waived, the big risk is that a team claims him from waivers because Spurs are very far on the waivers picking order. With the ruling on early bird rights being kept when someone is claim from waivers, this risk is even bigger.

Another name that pop up is Andray Blatche. He will likely be amnestied by Wizards. The min offer he could claim for is $3.7M over 3 years. That's not a lot of money but it's still some money and a lot of teams will be scared by all the red flags surrounding him. Blatche would be easily worth a gamble. If Pop can make him again a committed player, he would be a terrific addition for Spurs.

Ginobili2Duncan
07-17-2012, 06:59 AM
It looks more and more that Rockets will waive Leuer. He doesn't play at all with their SL team. Unless he is injured, he should be waived before Thursday when his contract became guaranteed. Once waived, the big risk is that a team claims him from waivers because Spurs are very far on the waivers picking order. With the ruling on early bird rights being kept when someone is claim from waivers, this risk is even bigger.

Another name that pop up is Andray Blatche. He will likely be amnestied by Wizards. The min offer he could claim for is $3.7M over 3 years. That's not a lot of money but it's still some money and a lot of teams will be scared by all the red flags surrounding him. Blatche would be easily worth a gamble. If Pop can make him again a committed player, he would be a terrific addition for Spurs.

I'm still holding out hope for Tyrus Thomas. But Blatche fits what the Spurs want to do on the court. The only thing I would be worried about is how long Pop gives PT to Bonner before deciding to give Blatche a chance to develop.

Duncan2177
07-17-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm still holding out hope for Tyrus Thomas. But Blatche fits what the Spurs want to do on the court. The only thing I would be worried about is how long Pop gives PT to Bonner before deciding to give Blatche a chance to develop.

Pop would give Bonner PT over Blatche?
http://shoppingcartdisco.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/facepalm.jpg

Ginobili2Duncan
07-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Pop would give Bonner PT over Blatche?
http://shoppingcartdisco.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/facepalm.jpg

It's a legitimate concern given the long leash Bonner has had for the last four years,especially early into the season. The question is how far into the season will he keep doing it.

T Park
07-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah the combined 6 mins in three games he got at the end of the year clearly prove that.

gambit1990
07-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm still holding out hope for Tyrus Thomas.

me too.

bklynspursfan
07-17-2012, 03:34 PM
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Wizards, per source, are about to amnesty Andray Blatche.

Bruno
07-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah the combined 6 mins in three games he got at the end of the year clearly prove that.

To be exact, Bonner played a combined 3 minutes in the last 3 games of the season.

Future will tell but how he ends the season in the doghouse is a clear sign that Pop gave up on Bonner. Once Pop gave up on a player, it's most of the time definitive.

TD 21
07-17-2012, 03:55 PM

That would make no sense. He's inexpensive, young and has enough upside to be a decent stretch four/fourth big. Given all that, I'd be surprised if he goes unclaimed.

As for Blatche, maybe the Cavs or Hornets just decide to take the risk, but I doubt anyone commits to him for 3 years, particularly at decent money. The Spurs probably won't pursue him if he does go unclaimed and become unrestricted, but they should. His talent far exceeds that of any other fifth big option and if there's any environment he's going to "figure it out" or "get it" in, it's got to be this one, I'd imagine. And if all went according to plan, he could usurp Bonner in the rotation and upgrade the biggest weakness in the rotation, while also raising the ceiling of the team, even if just slightly.

lmbebo
07-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Spurs won't replace Bonner's corporate knowledge for a talented knuckle head (Blanche).

Mel_13
07-17-2012, 03:59 PM
That would make no sense. He's inexpensive, young and has enough upside to be a decent stretch four/fourth big. Given all that, I'd be surprised if he goes unclaimed.

As for Blatche, maybe the Cavs or Hornets just decide to take the risk, but I doubt anyone commits to him for 3 years, particularly at decent money. The Spurs probably won't pursue him if he does go unclaimed and become unrestricted, but they should. His talent far exceeds that of any other fifth big option and if there's any environment he's going to "figure it out" or "get it" in, it's got to be this one, I'd imagine. And if all went according to plan, he could usurp Bonner in the rotation and upgrade the biggest weakness in the rotation, while also raising the ceiling of the team, even if just slightly.

It's a total of 3.7M over the course of 3 yrs, not 3.7M per year for three years. He'll probably get claimed.

TD 21
07-17-2012, 04:02 PM
It's a total of 3.7M over the course of 3 yrs, not 3.7M per year for three years. He'll probably get claimed.

Oh. Well in that case, yeah, he probably get's claimed. But I still don't think it's a lock. He's got a bad enough reputation that no team may want to commit to him for 3 years, inexpensive or not.

Spurs da champs
07-17-2012, 04:27 PM
I guess no Birdman:

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Toronto, as promised, would not amnesty Calderon. Charlotte decided NOT to amnesty Diop and Denver chose not to amnesty Birdman Andersen

Supergirl
07-17-2012, 04:43 PM
I'd love to see Tolliver come back to the Spurs. He's a PF but can also play SF and is big enough to guard other teams big men.

timvp
07-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Didn't I say Jamison wasn't going to sign for the minimum? Guess I was wrong. Then again, decent vets are only signing minimum deals with NY, LA or Miami right now. Jamison probably wouldn't even consider a minimum deal from the Spurs. It also sounds like Jermaine O'Neal is headed to the Lakers for the minimum. Good get, tbh.

As for the Spurs, I highly doubt they make a move until summer league is over. If no one emerges from summer league, that's when they might go after a Kenyon Martin or Turiaf, IMO.

Mel_13
07-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Didn't I say Jamison wasn't going to sign for the minimum? Guess I was wrong. Then again, decent vets are only signing minimum deals with NY, LA or Miami right now. Jamison probably wouldn't even consider a minimum deal from the Spurs. It also sounds like Jermaine O'Neal is headed to the Lakers for the minimum. Good get, tbh.

As for the Spurs, I highly doubt they make a move until summer league is over. If no one emerges from summer league, that's when they might go after a Kenyon Martin or Turiaf, IMO.

Same will hold true for Martin. He won't even consider the Spurs until all doors are closed for the 5 teams in NY, LA, and Miami. The French Connection may get Turiaf to listen, but he is also a former Knick, Laker, and Heat.

timvp
07-17-2012, 05:28 PM

Supposedly the Rockets have to waive a player soon to make room for the Asik offersheet ... so the releasing on Leuer could be pushed up a day or two.

If Leuer doesn't get traded or claimed elsewhere, hopefully the Spurs scoop him up. He's not a player that would work in every system but in S.A. he could basically be a bigger, more well-rounded Bonner without the history of choking.

jesterbobman
07-17-2012, 05:40 PM
If the Spurs are interested in Leuer and the Rockets were going to release him, Spurs could do this
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6pnnms2

Take on Leuers contract with the TJ Ford Trade Exception. Then, no chance at waivers and have early bird.

Bruno
07-17-2012, 06:21 PM
timvp, do you think Spurs should go after Blatche if he clears waivers?

yavozerb
07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Supposedly the Rockets have to waive a player soon to make room for the Asik offersheet ... so the releasing on Leuer could be pushed up a day or two.

If Leuer doesn't get traded or claimed elsewhere, hopefully the Spurs scoop him up. He's not a player that would work in every system but in S.A. he could basically be a bigger, more well-rounded Bonner without the history of choking.

What history?? Who the hell is this guy...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm still holding out hope for Tyrus Thomas.

me too.

The question is why. I've followed his career and he's never been able to put it together despite many chances. Last season he couldn't even consistently start on the worst team in NBA history. Pass.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Would Bonner consistently start on the worst team in history? Also, did Diaw?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2012, 12:22 AM
I guess no Birdman:

Toronto, as promised, would not amnesty Calderon. Charlotte decided NOT to amnesty Diop and Denver chose not to amnesty Birdman Andersen

Apparently not, they are amnestying the Birdman:

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/18/nuggets-amnesty-chris-andersen-sign-anthony-randolph/?sct=nba_t2_a5

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Would Bonner consistently start on the worst team in history? Also, did Diaw?

Yes, and yes, Diaw played big minutes over there.

Thomas was the Bobcat's "big signing" two years ago and had all the opportunity in the world to prove to the coaches that he can play, and then to play and impress everyone. He has done neither.

I have even less faith in Thomas than I have in A Randolph, and that's saying something. However, if anyone could turn those two guys around it'd be Pop/Tim or Karl.

Nathan89
07-18-2012, 12:33 AM

I'm not sure which teams have money to bid but teams with young players shouldn't touch a player like Blatche.

CGD
07-18-2012, 01:24 AM
I dont know if Blatch gets picked up. Darko is probably a better talent than this guy, and also has head case issues, but didn't get picked up. But even if this guy clears, I'm happy not taking him. For a team that at this point lives and dies by its chemistry and not its athletism, this guy is not a fit.

Em-City
07-18-2012, 02:16 AM

I agree he'd be a great replacement, but it's not Like-for-Like.

Leuer doesn't have anywhere near the range of Bonner. Last season, he shot 3-9 threes in 46 games.

tav1
07-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Teams usually know 5x more about players than what is reported in the press, which makes Seven Day Dray such a risk. Still, Washington was not a good environment for a young man with mental issues (or, he may just be stupid). I can't help but wonder if Stephen Jackson could get through to him.

I wouldn't mind if the Spurs talked with Blatche, but he shouldn't receive more than a unguaranteed vet minimum contract.

Andthentherewas21
07-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Teams usually know 5x more about players than what is reported in the press, which makes Seven Day Dray such a risk. Still, Washington was not a good environment for a young man with mental issues (or, he may just be stupid). I can't help but wonder if Stephen Jackson could get through to him.

I wouldn't mind if the Spurs talked with Blatche, but he shouldn't receive more than a unguaranteed vet minimum contract.

Don't worry he won't because that is all the Spurs could offer him this season.

Mel_13
07-18-2012, 01:42 PM

Oh. Well in that case, yeah, he probably get's claimed. But I still don't think it's a lock. He's got a bad enough reputation that no team may want to commit to him for 3 years, inexpensive or not.

Appears unlikely to be claimed:

Nine teams under the salary cap have the ability to claim recently cut forward Andray Blatche off the waiver wire by Thursday, but for a number of reasons, Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento and Toronto are expected to pass.

Blatche, 25, is the youngest of the 14 players to get cut using the amnesty provision, but the price tag for claiming him and his reputation around the league make it more than likely that he will soon become an unrestricted free agent.

A team would have to make a minimum bid of at least $3.79 million – the sum of minimum salaries over the next three years – in order to claim Blatche. Most of those teams under the salary cap are young and rebuilding and wouldn’t want to add a potential distraction to the locker room. Three front office executives from teams with cap room were adamant that they would not touch Blatche.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/andray-blatche-expected-to-clear-waivers/2012/07/18/gJQArkcktW_blog.html

Mel_13
07-18-2012, 01:44 PM

Front runners for free agent center Darko Milicic are Miami, Clippers, Chicago and Brooklyn, source tells Y! Sports.

https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo

Spurs da champs
07-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Apparently not, they are amnestying the Birdman:

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/18/nuggets-amnesty-chris-andersen-sign-anthony-randolph/?sct=nba_t2_a5

Makes sense to make room for Randolph, must have been last-minute tho.

Mel_13
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
The Rockets have waived Jon Leuer and Jerome Jordan. When they clear waivers, Rockets will sign Omer Asik to offer sheet.

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen

DesignatedT
07-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Would you rather have Jon Leuer and Jerome Jordan or Matt Bonner and DeJuan Blair.

MaNu4Tres
07-18-2012, 04:39 PM
lol @ Rockets.

Waiving their Jon Leuer, who probably was their best power forward.

The kid is very underrated. I'd take him over Bonner/Blair any day of the week.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
So with the way lower peg Unc has been talking, I have to believe Spurs have shown some degree of interest in Leuer.

Spurs da champs
07-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Yes Jon Leuer the same guy who couldn't even manage to get minutes when Bogut was hurt/traded on a horrible Bucks team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Spurs need to go all in to leuer Jon to San Antonio. (BOOM NAILED IT)

DesignatedT
07-18-2012, 05:37 PM
:lol

timvp
07-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Spurs need to go all in to leuer Jon to San Antonio. (BOOM NAILED IT)

:lol If Pop is ever going to move on from Bonner, Leuer is his chance. Leuer doesn't work in most systems (just like Bonner wouldn't) but he's a legit stretch big with good size who'd be available for the minimum.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 06:12 PM
With the amnesty deadline passed, Spurs aren't bringing in another Bonner when they already have one. Maybe if Bonner could be traded they would, but he appears to have little to no value.

timvp
07-18-2012, 06:31 PM
timvp, do you think Spurs should go after Blatche if he clears waivers?

I've been thinking about this for a while and have decided the Spurs should offer him a guaranteed minimum deal. He's crazy/dumb/lazy as hell but he's a legit stretch four who would be really good if he could ever get his head on straight. Not only can he score but he's actually pretty damn good defensively when he's locked in.

It likely wouldn't work out because Blatche has been ruined by that horrible Wizards franchise for too long to break the bad habits anytime soon. But for a minimum deal, you can't pass up that much upside when there is little risk. Especially because if he'd agree to sign with the Spurs for the minimum, he'd do it knowing full well that San Antonio isn't going to put up with any of his BS.

P.S.

Any team without strong veteran leadership would be amazingly stupid to bring in Blatche. I think only the Spurs, Celtics, Lakers and Heat have enough veteran stability to be safe from Blatche contaminating the locker room.

Em-City
07-18-2012, 07:29 PM
"The minimum bid for Blatche would be $3.79 million, according to the Washington Post."

Wild Cobra Kai
07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
"The minimum bid for Blatche would be $3.79 million, according to the Washington Post."

That's to "claim" him, and we can't. timvp is talking about if he clears waivers.

ace3g
07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm still on the fence if the Spurs should offer him a contract for the minimum (for all the red flags previously mentioned) but at least we would have SJAX to keep him in line.

I still don't like his jumpshot form and then you have this...

lDzRvZcFn48

Seventyniner
07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while and have decided the Spurs should offer him a guaranteed minimum deal. He's crazy/dumb/lazy as hell but he's a legit stretch four who would be really good if he could ever get his head on straight. Not only can he score but he's actually pretty damn good defensively when he's locked in.

It likely wouldn't work out because Blatche has been ruined by that horrible Wizards franchise for too long to break the bad habits anytime soon. But for a minimum deal, you can't pass up that much upside when there is little risk. Especially because if he'd agree to sign with the Spurs for the minimum, he'd do it knowing full well that San Antonio isn't going to put up with any of his BS.

P.S.

Any team without strong veteran leadership would be amazingly stupid to bring in Blatche. I think only the Spurs, Celtics, Lakers and Heat have enough veteran stability to be safe from Blatche contaminating the locker room.

Do you think the Spurs could give him the Stephen Jackson 2001 treatment? As in, shut up and do what you're told for a year, and we'll make it worth your while?

ace3g
07-18-2012, 08:18 PM
I wonder if Don Newman (now with the Wizards) could relay some inside info on Blatche.

Em-City
07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
That's to "claim" him, and we can't. timvp is talking about if he clears waivers.

yeah, I just put that in there as i can't see anyone claiming him for that kind of money

Obstructed_View
07-19-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm still on the fence if the Spurs should offer him a contract for the minimum (for all the red flags previously mentioned) but at least we would have SJAX to keep him in line.

I still don't like his jumpshot form and then you have this...

lDzRvZcFn48

Easy to overlook that he had 20 points, 13 assists and 9 rebounds up to that point. Might be worth the minimum.

mountainballer
07-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Jon Leuer would be a no brainer.
didn't Spurs think about bringing in Lorbek?
in some years Leuer could be there. pretty similar size and skill set.

the best for Leuer might be, to go to Europe, his game will flourish there. but if he stays in the NBA, the Spurs will be the best place for him. I hope he (his agent) knows that. and that's because Bonner is here. Leuer can see that there is a defined role in the Spurs system (with almost guaranteed minutes), that is currently taken by a player, who isn't exactly a star and can be outplayed by a player with Leuer's potential. (Leuer is also bigger and a slightly better athlete). Spurs will start searching for a replacement for Bonner anyhow. he is 32 and virtual in his last year. (with the season 2013-14 not guaranteed). if they can find a replacement on the cheap, which Leuer would be, there is a much better chance that the Bonner era in SA will be over rather sooner than later.
I assume ST would welcome such a scenario.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Leuer looks like a good fit. He may very well be claimed before the Spurs have a shot at him.

CGD
07-19-2012, 09:51 AM
If the Howard trade goes down we need a big body too, and I'd opt of Hadaddi.

jyra
07-19-2012, 10:00 AM
If he doesn't retire, Ben Wallace could be a decent option. He might be old but he can still be a strong post defender and grab some rebounds.
I just remembered that game last season where he hit a 3 pointer against us.

spurs10
07-19-2012, 04:13 PM
It would seem we'll get someone if we won't be crossing the tax threshold. There is too much lack of confidence in our bigs 3 through 5. Blair is discontent, Bonner has once again cratered when it matters most, and Tiago is probably not feeling tremendously wanted or sure of himself. Someone who believes in themselves, like Jax....

timvp
07-19-2012, 06:22 PM
The Timberwolves are considering Jon Leuer, who currently is going through waivers, a person with knowledge of the situation told the Pioneer Press.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21113215/timberwolves-reportedly-wont-get-courtney-lee-but-considering

Nathan89
07-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Timberwolves considering an all white team. Timberwolves= the great white hope

timvp
07-19-2012, 11:00 PM
@johnhollinger
Will be very surprised if a Charlotte or New Orleans type team doesn't claim Leuer on waivers. Solid rookie year.

Sounds like Leuer isn't going to hit free agency, unfortunately.

kobyz
07-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Sounds like Leuer isn't going to hit free agency, unfortunately.

but he's not amnestied! so how it possible?

swaggerjackson
07-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I like Leuer, but his lack of foot speed concerns me. He looks to be a good player but I doubt he is the player that puts us over the top. I have not seen too much of this guy but he doesn't seem to add a new dimension to the team. He seems as though he would continue the Bonner role. And as much as I dislike Bonner he atleast has years of experience here that Leuer doesn't.

Blatche on the other hand (if he is focused) would really give us a huge new weapon. He is enormous and can still move his feet. He can bang in the post and step out on pick and roll. He can shoot well enough to spread the floor for Tim, and he can even create his own shot. I think the Spurs have to sit down with him and have a talk, but even if he was interested in San Antonio you have to take that as a good sign. We know he is a knucklehead, but he is smart enough to realize that coming to SA means giving that up. There isn't a whole lot of room to do that in SA. If he wants to be wild he would sign with another city or go to Europe. If he is interested in SA it is a good sign because that means he is interested in winning and straightening up his attitude. But I think that is a long shot and I don't think he comes here.

Mel_13
07-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Wolves put in a waiver claim for Jon Leuer but Cleveland got him first

https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda

timvp
07-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Damn :depressed

Bruno
07-20-2012, 06:24 PM
If Spurs can't sign Kenyon Martin or Blatche, it will suck.

It puzzled me that Spurs have spend $5M to fix the backup PG slot by signing Mills and De Colo while they have done nothing to fix the backup PF slot which is equally problematic.

If next season start with Bonner or Blair as backup PF, it will be depressing.

Duncan2177
07-20-2012, 06:59 PM

It puzzled me that Spurs have spend $5M to fix the backup PG slot by signing Mills and De Colo while they have done nothing to fix the backup PF slot which is equally problematic.

We're fucked.

spurs10
07-20-2012, 07:02 PM

Yes, it's very quiet right now regarding Kmart. I can only hope there is something going on behind closed doors addressing this obvious problem.

Redshadows
07-20-2012, 08:49 PM

I think it is the Blair thing. Spurs could not trade him for what they want or no team want Blair right now.

Meanwhile, Spurs don't want to carry more than 5 bigmen to start the season, considering Spurs were OK with 4 bigmen at the start of last season.

If Pop and Buford were fine with Duncan, Splitter, Blair and Bonner at the start of last season, they surely are fine with Duncan, Diaw, Splitter, Blair and Bonner right now.

I thought it was no Blair trade, no bigman signing. And I am going to stick to the idea.

Mel_13
07-20-2012, 08:53 PM
I think it is the Blair thing. Spurs could not trade him for what they want or no team want Blair right now.

Meanwhile, Spurs don't want to carry more than 5 bigmen to start the season, considering Spurs were OK with 4 bigmen at the start of last season.

If Pop and Buford were fine with Duncan, Splitter, Blair and Bonner at the start of last season, they surely are fine with Duncan, Diaw, Splitter, Blair and Bonner right now.

I thought it was no Blair trade, no bigman signing. And I am going to stick to the idea.

Unfortunately, this is very likely to be the case.

Bruno
07-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Disagree. You got it backwards.

The logical and safest way for Spurs to improve their bigmen rotation would to sign a good big and then to trade Blair.

Getting ride of Blair isn't at all an issue. He has a very nice little contract and, even if no team wants him, Spurs can still waive him for free.

So, it's more no bigman signing, no Blair trade. The hardest part is to find a good big while Spurs can only offer min contracts.

ace3g
07-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Malcolm Thomas had another good game for the Bulls: 12 pts, 16 boards
http://www.nba.com/summer-league/games/20120720/CHIGSW/gameinfo.html

pad300
07-21-2012, 12:22 AM

It makes me wonder if they have had some sort of trade set up already, just waiting for execution at a later date...

Spurs da champs
07-21-2012, 01:20 AM
The Spurs did create an unnecessary logjam @ point guard tbh, they should have just chose 1 or the other when it came to Mills & De Colo. They also gave up on Corey Joseph a little too early it seems, based on his summer league play. They could have easily used the BAE or the money used to sign Mills to get a defensive big.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-21-2012, 08:48 AM
The Spurs did create an unnecessary logjam @ point guard tbh, they should have just chose 1 or the other when it came to Mills & De Colo. They also gave up on Corey Joseph a little too early it seems, based on his summer league play. They could have easily used the BAE or the money used to sign Mills to get a defensive big.

Mills was signed to essentially his qualifying offer, two years, second year a player option. His FA can was kicked down the road one year. Signing him had no effect on signing a big.

Other than signing Diaw, nothing we did, or didn't do (like not amnestying Bonner) had any effect on our ability to sign a big. We have what we've had since Diaw signed: a minimum salary slot. Signing Mills did not affect that. Amnestying Bonner would not affect that.

Oh, and all CoJo has done so far is NOT make it an easy decision to cut him loose. Summer league is honestly nothing. He may still not have his option picked up. I think it depends much more on training camp than Vegas.

Bruno
07-21-2012, 10:53 AM
It makes me wonder if they have had some sort of trade set up already, just waiting for execution at a later date...

Maybe but why would Spurs delay a trade they can do now? Are they waiting on a FA before deciding or not to do this trade? Are they waiting the end of the summer league?

Redshadows
07-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Would signing a big for min make Spurs over the tax?

Can't believe Spurs may start the season with both Bonner and Blair, considering how bad they were in the playoff last season.

When Spurs were out, I though it was the end for Bonner, Blair and may even Neal.

Wow.

Seventyniner
07-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Since cap-space teams passed on Baltche (misspelling intentional) for the minimum, I doubt he'll get more than that. Where would he fit on this list?

DesignatedT
07-21-2012, 01:19 PM
The FO doesn't see the backup PF spot as being problematic is your answer. It's pretty clear at this point.

benefactor
07-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Bonner and Blair can win games in the regular season. The Spurs are aware of that and will likely wait until the right deal ccomes along or until closer to the deadline. They have enough assets to make a decent trade happen so there is no reason to just knee jerk and make a move.

ace3g
07-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Malcolm Thomas 6 pts 5 boards, 1 blk in the 2nd quarter so far

http://www.nba.com/summer-league/games/20120721/CHILAC/gameinfo.html

--

9 pts, 9 boards at halftime

--

17 pts , 12 boards 3:58 in 3rd quarter

--

21 pts, 16 boards, 4 assists, 1 blk end of the game

benefactor
07-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Definitely worth a camp invite.

ace3g
07-21-2012, 09:39 PM
OmjGeHYs8Cw

Spurs da champs
07-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Mills was signed to essentially his qualifying offer, two years, second year a player option. His FA can was kicked down the road one year. Signing him had no effect on signing a big.

Other than signing Diaw, nothing we did, or didn't do (like not amnestying Bonner) had any effect on our ability to sign a big. We have what we've had since Diaw signed: a minimum salary slot. Signing Mills did not affect that. Amnestying Bonner would not affect that.

Oh, and all CoJo has done so far is NOT make it an easy decision to cut him loose. Summer league is honestly nothing. He may still not have his option picked up. I think it depends much more on training camp than Vegas.
Yes but if they were gonna bring De Colo over, might as well withdrew the qualifying offer, regardless of the money situation the PG spot was unnecessarily log jammed. BTW if Summer League was nothing then why would be a 'not' so easy decision to cut him?
But I agree he'll have to keep this up at training camp, but Joseph was defiantly hitting shots with confidence in SL that he couldn't hit worth a damn in limited minutes last year.
Either way tho money or no money Spurs have been lackadaisical in their pursuit of a rim protector to help Tim.

maverick1948
07-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Grab your balls and hang on, the Spurs FO has been putting solid teams on the court for years. Even before Pop and RC, the Spurs had some very good playoff runs. Everytime Pop says we are standing pat, something happens. A trade or FA siging that changes things. I am waiting to see just what Pop and RC have in mind for this season.

:toast

ace3g
07-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Hopefully with SL ending today we will start hearing some more concrete rumors on who the Spurs are interested at PF.

pad300
07-22-2012, 03:24 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222557/Nets_Confirm_Talks_With_Kirilenko

If Kirilenko is listening, this is crazy. I really hope this is BS; because otherwise, our FO needs a kick up the ass. Kirilenko for the vet min would mean we could have gotten him, and almost certainly Diaw as well in the MLE. Make 2 years and 9M into 4 years and 13M for Diaw, and double the Nets vet min offer to Kirilenko...

benefactor
07-22-2012, 04:06 PM
He's not coming for the vet minimum...and if he did, he wouldn't choose the Spurs over the Nets for very obvious reasons.

Bruno
07-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Hopefully with SL ending today we will start hearing some more concrete rumors on who the Spurs are interested at PF.

That's my hope too. And speaking of wishes, I hope the whole "we like our bigs" talk isn't what Pop and RC really think.

pad300
07-22-2012, 04:36 PM
He's not coming for the vet minimum...and if he did, he wouldn't choose the Spurs over the Nets for very obvious reasons.

I never thought Kirilenko would come for the the vet min. But I still think we could have gotten him with a Diaw-ish chunk of the MLE, and I'm not sure how much real money Diaw would have attracted on the open market.

IF I have to choose between AK-47 and Diaw in my lineup, I take AK-47. If it works out, I take both...

MR-Clutch
07-22-2012, 04:37 PM
I have to agree with ace3g on Malcolm Thomas. He seems pretty intriguing and has the skills the spurs need. Does anyone know if he has improved his jump shot?

benefactor
07-22-2012, 05:34 PM
I never thought Kirilenko would come for the the vet min. But I still think we could have gotten him with a Diaw-ish chunk of the MLE, and I'm not sure how much real money Diaw would have attracted on the open market.

IF I have to choose between AK-47 and Diaw in my lineup, I take AK-47. If it works out, I take both...
I think the Spurs did what they had to do with the whole Diaw situation. There is no doubt that AK-47 is the better player but you have to look at it from where the front office stands...they just acquired a player that helped them win 20 games in a row. He fit in perfectly with no camp and very little practice time with the team. Do you roll the dice on another player who may or may not sign with you and risk losing the player that was such a big part of your success late in the season?

If there wasn't already a successful option available and ready to sign I'd see the point of chasing AK-47. But you don't go all in on a weak hand and hope for that one card on the river.

pad300
07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
It's not quite time to start chewing the furniture.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1198166

but damn am I going to be annoyed if some team gets him cheap...

benefactor
07-24-2012, 12:06 PM
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18700000/Rooster-Cogburn-true-grit-2010-18783372-193-200.jpg

"Best let this go, son."

smaka
07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Can somebody explain me WHY is it so hard to amnesty Bonner the choker and bring ANYONE elsw instead of him?? Martin, AK47, ... anyone.

jyra
07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Can somebody explain me WHY is it so hard to amnesty Bonner the choker and bring ANYONE elsw instead of him?? Martin, AK47, ... anyone.

Well, the deadline to use the amnesty has already passed..

tesseractive
07-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Because:

(1) Even if we amnesty Bonner, we still have to pay him.

(2) Since we're over the cap, amnestying Bonner doesn't give us any cap room or anything else to make it easier to sign anyone. All we have left is the minimum.

elemento
07-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Well, the deadline to use the amnesty has already passed..

Not to mention that using the amnesty clause on Bonner wouldn't change jack in terms of acquiring another player. We would only have MIN contracts to offer anyway.

Mel_13
07-24-2012, 01:50 PM

The Spurs had no chance to get him. Why get annoyed? Best bet is to assume that he'll go to the Lakers and just begin to process it in advance.

ace3g
07-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Marc J. SpearsVerified ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Forward Malcolm Thomas, the only free agent on the All-Summer League team, getting solid interest primarily from ATL, CHA, CHI and LAC.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-24-2012, 08:52 PM

Word is that former teammate Deron Williams is putting on the full court press to get him to sign short term for the minimum.

timvp
07-26-2012, 01:52 AM
Turiaf signed with the Clippers for the minimum. I'm assuming the Spurs weren't interested . . .

racm
07-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Paul/Bledsoe/Billups
Billups/Crawford/Leslie
Butler/Hill
Griffin/Odom/Thompkins
Jordan/Turiaf/Hollins

Staaaaaaacked

Em-City
07-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Paul/Bledsoe/Billups
Billups/Crawford/Leslie
Butler/Hill
Griffin/Odom/Thompkins
Jordan/Turiaf/Hollins

Staaaaaaacked

but not going anywhere with my cousin vinnie as coach

racm
07-26-2012, 02:11 AM
but not going anywhere with my cousin vinnie as coach

I tell you Del Negro can't design an inbound pass to save his life but he'll make a good FO man.

Redshadows
07-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Turiaf signed with the Clippers for the minimum. I'm assuming the Spurs weren't interested . . .
http://eva.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5702254&postcount=111

They took Bonner over Turiaf in the past and they still do that now.

Stabula
07-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Indeed anyone who fears the LA teams has to remember they're being coached by del Negro and Mike Brown. LA isn't ringing anytime soon.

ace3g
07-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Looks like the Grizz will re-sign Hamed Haddadi

http://www.iamagm.com/article/sounds-like-grizzlies-are-set-to-resign-hamed-haddadi#.UBD7x6NdC7s

Mel_13
07-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Same will hold true for Martin. He won't even consider the Spurs until all doors are closed for the 5 teams in NY, LA, and Miami. The French Connection may get Turiaf to listen, but he is also a former Knick, Laker, and Heat.

Turiaf opts out of a guaranteed minimum contract with one of the Big 5 only to sign for the minimum with another Big 5 team. Just needs the Nets to complete the career sweep.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Yeah, nice roster for the Clips but Vinny lost the team in the middle of last season and is hopeless as a coach. They go as far as coach-PG CP3 takes them. It's incredible how moronic Sterling's decisions continue to be... how the he'll do you bring back a coach who lost the team's confidence?

therealtruth
07-26-2012, 06:51 AM
I tell you Del Negro can't design an inbound pass to save his life but he'll make a good FO man.

The first move he should make as a FO man is to remove himself from coach.

racm
07-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Indeed anyone who fears the LA teams has to remember they're being coached by del Negro and Mike Brown. LA isn't ringing anytime soon.

Tbh, the only other contender with a coach who doesn't ride the talent is Boston, and Doc Rivers isn't Pop.

The first move he should make as a FO man is to remove himself from coach.

He's only got one year left on his contract. He's not exactly GM (he shares FO duties with Sacks and Roeser), but he's part of their ad hoc FO after Olshey left for Portland.

ace3g
07-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Grizzlies re-sign Hamed Haddadi

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jul/28/memphis-grizzlies-re-sign-center-hamed-haddadi/

ace3g
07-29-2012, 04:13 AM
Was doing some searches online and found this tweet, did some research on Seth A. Cohen and he is indeed an NBA agent:

http://www.draftexpress.com/agents/Seth-Cohen-227/

Seth A. Cohen ‏@OCR_fam

Tyler Wilkerson now getting much interest from NBA teams for camp and Eurocup teams overseas after a strong performance in Vegas #OCRfam

timvp
07-29-2012, 06:12 AM
^Great find. If I'm Wilkerson, I probably take my chance in an NBA camp. There's an outside chance he could stick in the right situation.

dbestpro
07-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Marc J. SpearsVerified ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Forward Malcolm Thomas, the only free agent on the All-Summer League team, getting solid interest primarily from ATL, CHA, CHI and LAC.

This is a guy I'd like to see back. Maybe he could push Blair and show him what effort really is.

jyra
07-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Yi just had a great first half against Spain. He scored 13 points on 6/6 shooting and grabbed 7 rebounds. He plays with so much more confidence when he is the first option on offense.

Even though he's not a great defender he's still a legit 7ft and pretty athletic, so I would take him over Bonner in a heartbeat.

PS: played a strong 2nd half too and finished with 30 pts, 13/19 from the field, 12 rebounds

Spurs da champs
07-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Yi just had a great first half against Spain. He scored 13 points on 6/6 shooting and grabbed 7 rebounds. He plays with so much more confidence when he is the first option on offense.

Even though he's not a great defender he's still a legit 7ft and pretty athletic, so I would take him over Bonner in a heartbeat.

He's murdering the Gasols right now. Tho its disappointing to see that he gives a half ass effort so far in his NBA career.

BackHome
07-29-2012, 02:19 PM

PS: played a strong 2nd half too and finished with 30 pts, 13/19 from the field, 12 rebounds

+1 Anyone but freaking Boner........:bang

Wild Cobra Kai
07-29-2012, 04:15 PM
+1 Anyone but freaking Boner........:bang

Yi is a way worse NBA player than Bonner.

BackHome
07-29-2012, 05:22 PM
That is not possible!!!!!!!!!!!

Wild Cobra Kai
07-29-2012, 07:50 PM
That is not possible!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not only possible, it's a fact. Matt's a playoff no-show, but Yi doesn't even show up from November to April. Matt is a plus three point shooter, probably in the top twenty in the league. Yi hasn't shown shit, ever, so my statement stands. Yi sucks worse than Bonner.

jyra
08-02-2012, 01:11 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/08/kenyon-martin-not-interested-in-minimum-salary.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Regarding Kenyon Martin, out of available PFs, he'd make most sense for NYK. Versatile, knows Melo/JR. But source says won't sign for min.

This probably just means that he's going to take his sweet time to sign a contract. I don't think there any playoff teams left who could offer him more than a minimum deal and would be willing to do so.

Duncan2177
08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/08/kenyon-martin-not-interested-in-minimum-salary.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This probably just means that he's going to take his sweet time to sign a contract. I don't think there any playoff teams left who could offer him more than a minimum deal and would be willing to do so.

Winning a championship is definitely not important to this guy.

DPG21920
08-02-2012, 01:51 PM
That explains the K-Mart situation. He likely only has min offers and is waiting to see if he can get a team to give him more.

Bruno
08-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Blatche's agent, Andy Miller, said that there are little interest around his client:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/james-singleton-moving-on-wizards-could-stand-pat/2012/08/02/gJQA7gxwRX_blog.html

As for Blatche, Miller added that teams have not made any significant overtures to sign him as of yet.

Hopefully, Spurs will try to sign him after the Olympics.

gambit1990
08-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Hopefully, Spurs will try to sign him after the Olympics.

yes. when do the olympics end? or at least, when does the basketball portion of it end?

spurs10
08-03-2012, 08:02 PM
yes. When do the olympics end? Or at least, when does the basketball portion of it end?
8/12

ace3g
08-04-2012, 11:43 AM
A few other PF/C signings:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Joey Dorsey has re-signed with Olympiacos B.C., his agent @Lanceyoung21 tells Y! Sports.

Maccabi Tel Aviv adds forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu
The British forward inks for two years

http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/israel/41961/maccabi-tel-aviv-adds-forward-pops-mensah-bonsu.html

--

Lithuania's Darius Songaila told me postgame he hopes to sign back in NBA ASAP. Definitely had his moments vs. Team USA: 11 pts in 17 mins

Duncan2177
08-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Chris Andersen Open To Signing For Veteran's Minimum

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222792/Chris_Andersen_Open_To_Signing_For_Veterans_Minimu m

Wild Cobra Kai
08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
yes. when do the olympics end? or at least, when does the basketball portion of it end?

That won't be what triggers more signings. Players realizing that they are going to get a minimum deal because it's September and training camps are starting will be what triggers signings. We're in the August doldrums. Happens every year as players don't want to take minimum until they have to. Relax until Labor Day. Not much is going to happen until then.

ace3g
08-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Thunder Sign Daniel Orton

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222804/Thunder_Sign_Daniel_Orton

CGD
08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Thunder Sign Daniel Orton

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222804/Thunder_Sign_Daniel_Orton

Thunder with the Spursesc pick up. Good for them. Low cost, high reward potential.

ace3g
08-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Via Jared Zwerling, ESPN.com

Regarding Amundson and White, a source says they're both in the market for mini mid-level deals -- they made just below that last season -- so if that's the case, that would obviously leave out the Knicks.

http://www.iamagm.com/article/louis-amundson-and-dj-white-looking-to-sign-for-roughly-3m-per-year#.UB8kKKNdC7s

If DJ is looking for that type of money then I'm not interested...

I read that James Singleton is considering going back to China, after only getting veteran min from Washington.

So that only leaves Dominic McGuire on my list (unless Blatche is really an option).

Bruno
08-06-2012, 12:17 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/08/06/thunder-olympics-nba-notebook/index.html

Kenyon Martin, meanwhile, isn't so lucky. The 12-year veteran was a key reserve for the Clippers, his impact going way beyond his marginal numbers (5.2 points, 4.3 rebounds) for a team that reached the second round of the playoffs for the second time in franchise history. But sources said the 34-year-old power forward is holding up this later stage of the hiring process for frontcourt free agents, with the Lakers and the Nets among the teams he's considering and negotiation leverage seemingly gone because so many of his colleagues seem willing to take minimum deals.

ace3g
08-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Gery Woelfel @GeryWoelfel

Joel Przybilla has verbally agreed to sign with Bucks. Chose Bucks over Trail Blazers and Mavericks.

racm
08-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Jennings/Udrih
Ellis/Lamb
Mbah a Moute/Dunleavy
Ilyasova/Henson/Gooden
Dalembert/Pryzbilla

bubble team, yepyepyep

Duncan2177
08-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Jennings/Udrih
Ellis/Lamb
Mbah a Moute/Dunleavy
Ilyasova/Henson/Gooden
Dalembert/Pryzbilla

bubble team, yepyepyep

Not a bad roster.

ace3g
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Via Chris Tomasson, FoxSports

A source close to free-agent forward Lou Amundson said Charlotte is looking at Amundson, and that it's unlikely he would go to Greece. .... The source said the New York Knicks are also looking at Amundson. However, the Knicks only can offer the minimum and Amundson is looking for a deal in the area of $3 million a season.

http://www.iamagm.com/article/knicks-and-bobcats-in-the-mix-for-lou-amundson#.UCF5M6NdC7s

--

Malcolm Thomas Close To Deal, Bulls Ruled Out As Option

Malcolm Thomas is on the verge of signing a contract with either an NBA or overseas club, agent Aaron Mintz told RealGM on Tuesday.

“He’s close to a deal right now,” Mintz said. “There are a few different options.”

Thomas was named to the Vegas Summer League All-Star team last month as a member of the Chicago Bulls, averaging 11.4 points and 12.4 rebounds over five games. Thomas, who played collegiately at San Diego State, showed that he could provide a high motor and sharp instincts offensively.

It is believed that Thomas will ultimately come to an agreement with a team overseas.

The Bulls expressed interest in Thomas, but they are no longer in play. The Chicago bench underwent a massive overhaul over the offseason, but they have long been in the market to add a fifth big man.

Thomas played three regular season games for the San Antonio Spurs last season.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222852/Malcolm_Thomas_Close_To_Deal_Bulls_Ruled_Out_As_Op tion#ixzz22u5IHfKo

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Denver got Anthony Randolph for $5.2m over 3yrs. I think we missed out there.

I know the Spurs only had min salary to offer, but I'm sure something could've been swung to get him here. He may have become perpetually stuck in Pop's doghouse (I guess that's why the FO didn't chase him), but Pop and Tim had as good a chance as anyone in the NBA to meld him into a useful NBA player.

I have a strange feeling ARand will blossom under Karl - not into a star, but into a nasty weakside defensive big off the bench, who can also score (when his confidence is up - he's a typical 'confidence player'). If it clicks, Denver's McGee-Faried-Randolph frontcourt will be nasty.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Via Chris Tomasson, FoxSports

A source close to free-agent forward Lou Amundson said Charlotte is looking at Amundson, and that it's unlikely he would go to Greece. .... The source said the New York Knicks are also looking at Amundson. However, the Knicks only can offer the minimum and Amundson is looking for a deal in the area of $3 million a season.

http://www.iamagm.com/article/knicks-and-bobcats-in-the-mix-for-lou-amundson#.UCF5M6NdC7s

--

Malcolm Thomas Close To Deal, Bulls Ruled Out As Option

Malcolm Thomas is on the verge of signing a contract with either an NBA or overseas club, agent Aaron Mintz told RealGM on Tuesday.

“He’s close to a deal right now,” Mintz said. “There are a few different options.”

Thomas was named to the Vegas Summer League All-Star team last month as a member of the Chicago Bulls, averaging 11.4 points and 12.4 rebounds over five games. Thomas, who played collegiately at San Diego State, showed that he could provide a high motor and sharp instincts offensively.

It is believed that Thomas will ultimately come to an agreement with a team overseas.

The Bulls expressed interest in Thomas, but they are no longer in play. The Chicago bench underwent a massive overhaul over the offseason, but they have long been in the market to add a fifth big man.

Thomas played three regular season games for the San Antonio Spurs last season.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222852/Malcolm_Thomas_Close_To_Deal_Bulls_Ruled_Out_As_Op tion#ixzz22u5IHfKo

I wonder if it's us. The Spurs frequently do like to keep things quite, especially since they are trying to deal Blair right now. Maybe they really like him last spring, and had Kawhi talk to him.

Bruno
08-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Re-signing Malcolm Thomas would make a lot of sense for Spurs. :stirpot:

ChumpDumper
08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
He's just so skinny.

DPG21920
08-08-2012, 06:11 PM
You know who else is skinny? Kevin Durant. Think about it.

ChumpDumper
08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
You know who else is skinny? Kevin Durant. Think about it.You're seriously comparing Malcom Thomas to Kevin Durant. Think about it.

DPG21920
08-08-2012, 06:20 PM
:lol No.

ChumpDumper
08-08-2012, 06:21 PM
:lol No.Then why did you bring him up?

DPG21920
08-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Twas a joke

ChumpDumper
08-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Ah, I thought Durant might be available for the minimum for a second.

DAF86
08-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Chump and DPG going at it, this could have took a while.

DPG21920
08-08-2012, 06:31 PM
At least it's basketball.

swaggerjackson
08-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Random question: Would you consider Najera for the minimum at this point. He certainly won't be a game changing player or even a rotation player come playoff time, but he hustles, plays defense, and can even hit the three from time to time. If the Spurs pass on Blatche or vice versa and there is no "impact" player available, would you pick this guy up, invite him to camp, or pass on him? And I am guess that your answers depend on what happens to Blair, but I thought I would see what you thought.

Wild Cobra Kai
08-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Random question: Would you consider Najera for the minimum at this point. He certainly won't be a game changing player or even a rotation player come playoff time, but he hustles, plays defense, and can even hit the three from time to time. If the Spurs pass on Blatche or vice versa and there is no "impact" player available, would you pick this guy up, invite him to camp, or pass on him? And I am guess that your answers depend on what happens to Blair, but I thought I would see what you thought.

Five years ago? Yes. Now? No.

I'd rather they were picking through the young NBA scraps than going back to the old timer scrap pile.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Denver got Anthony Randolph for $5.2m over 3yrs. I think we missed out there.

I know the Spurs only had min salary to offer, but I'm sure something could've been swung to get him here. He may have become perpetually stuck in Pop's doghouse (I guess that's why the FO didn't chase him), but Pop and Tim had as good a chance as anyone in the NBA to meld him into a useful NBA player.

I have a strange feeling ARand will blossom under Karl - not into a star, but into a nasty weakside defensive big off the bench, who can also score (when his confidence is up - he's a typical 'confidence player'). If it clicks, Denver's McGee-Faried-Randolph frontcourt will be nasty.

What do you guys think? Have we seen Randolph's ceiling (ie. limited to his over-inflated ego and seemingly low basketball IQ), or do you think he could blossom under the right coach?

Ice009
08-09-2012, 12:19 AM
You know who else is skinny? Kevin Durant. Think about it.

James Jones was standing next to Durant in the finals and they looked like they had almost the same body type. Amazing how much better Durant is though. Sometimes, body type doesn't really mean that much.

flasah
08-15-2012, 05:26 PM
9. Josh Harrellson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4927.jpg
Like Leuer, Josh Harrellson is currently property of the Rockets. Also like Leuer, he has an unguaranteed contract that will probably end up being torn to pieces. As a rookie last season for the Knicks, Harrellson flashed some potential. He's a big dude (6-foot-10, 275 pounds) who can defend the post on defense and shoot three-pointers on offense. Harrellson's rebounding and shotblocking are also above average. However, it should be noted that most of his success came with Mike D'Antoni at the helm and his bulk hurts his mobility on the defensive end. Overall, though, Harrellson is a relatively unique prospect who could be worth a look if he becomes available.

The Rockets released Harrellson today. Maybe worth a look.

racm
08-15-2012, 06:53 PM
I'd take a flyer on him.

callo1
08-15-2012, 07:22 PM
The Rockets released Harrellson today. Maybe worth a look.

I would take Woody Harrellson for Bonner straight up:lol

racm
08-15-2012, 07:28 PM
I would take Woody Harrellson for Bonner straight up:lol

So... we replace a goofy white dude who shoots 3s and gets killed in the paint... with a prospect goofy white dude who shoots 3s and isn't always killed in the paint.

:downspin:

ace3g
08-15-2012, 07:43 PM
at least Woody can jump...