PDA

View Full Version : Introducing 'Slick Willard

Nbadan
07-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Weak, Weak, Weak
Josh Marshall

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h162/johnwalsh2/stuff/th_180214_10151025792074090_1824400365_n.jpg
Being bitch slapped ain't pretty

Honest question: does anyone think Romney helped himself with this round of television interviews? This is more fact-finding than rhetorical. And the people whose opinions I’d be most curious to hear are those of Republican operatives — people who want the answer to be ‘yes’ but are politically sophisticated enough to know if it’s not.

The headline in the Times is “Romney Seeks Obama Apology for Bain Attacks”.

In the Journal “Romney Defends Bain Capital Tenure”.

This is ‘bitch slap’ politics played with a gusto and coldness seldom seen from Democrats, at least since the Bill Clinton days. Asking for an apology is losing. Saying you want something you clearly have no power to get is losing.

There’s a meta-politics Obama is playing by slashing at Romney with suggestions he might be a felon. He’s wounding Romney, who is clearly rattled and angry about the charges, but just as clearly can’t defend himself or strike back. As I’ve noted many times, a thick layer of presidential politics (in a way that’s distinct from US politics at really every other level) resides at the brainstem level of cogitation — with gambits to assert power and demonstrate dominance. Obama looked in control of this situation; Romney didn’t.

There’s another part of this equation: I’m not sure how many people watching this spectacle even remember that it’s nominally about whether Romney is responsible for outsourcing Bain did post-February 1999 or its investment in a company that serviced abortion clinics. I barely remember it myself.What’s driving this now is that the Obama camp has backed Romney into a position in which he looks ridiculous — something much more lethal for presidential candidates than most people appreciate.

Romney had absolutely nothing to do with Bain after 1999, no responsibility for anything it did, barely even knew what it did. Only he was the owner, the Chairman of the Board and the CEO. At least according to all the official documents, many of which he signed. Only he wasn’t any of those things, says Romney.

Partisans can be walked through the arguments of how this might be true, just as you could explain what John Kerry meant by saying he was for a bill before he voted against it. But it still makes no sense. And doubling down on nonsense makes you look silly and trapped. That’s especially dangerous for someone already saddled with a reputation for shifting his stories and positions to suit the moment.

This is and will remain a low single digit race. But the President’s team is making Romney look shifty and silly and weak. (I half expect them to start goosing surrogates to call him Slick Willard.) And they’re well on their way to defining him in a way that will be difficult to undo.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/07/honest_question_does_anything_think.php?ref=fpblg

At this point, only the billionaires are keeping this campaign alive.....could we be seeing a convention bait and switch by the GOP?

Nbadan
07-15-2012, 01:56 AM
Andrew Sullivan on Slick Willard...

....Yes, we have been told that his departure was dramatic, and that it took time to restructure a complicated business partnership, but for a company to declare a false CEO to the SEC for three years is either the mark of spectacular incompetence - and a potential felony - or a lie.

....So now the story is the following: Romney legally declared himself the "sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president" in a period when his company says he had "absolutely no involvement with the management or investment activities of the firm or with any of its portfolio companies." But during that period, he attended board meetings of Bain companies and made several business trips back to Boston.

....I'd say Romney's best bet is to stick with his under-oath testimony and to his SEC filing and admit that he was responsible for what Bain did - legally and practically - in the period in question, even if he was part-time. Otherwise, he could have committed a crime. The only problem with conceding this is that it opens up a whole can of worms about investments and decisions by Bain in those years - and possible inquiries into conflicts of interest as he drummed up dollars for Salt Lake City's Games.

Which leads us to the following conclusions: yes, former Senator Santorum, your nominee was the "sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president" of a private equity firm that invested in a post-abortion fetus disposal enterprise. Maybe if you'd known that, you could have brought it up in the primaries.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/07/bain-hes-drowning-not-waving.html

Nbadan
07-17-2012, 03:50 AM
If your not in a swing state you probably haven't seen this..

OBAMA UNLOADS: BRUTAL NEW AD

Ud3mMj0AZZk

mercos
07-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Pretty strong add. Say what you want about Obama as president, but as a campaigner he is killing Romney right now.

elbamba
07-17-2012, 01:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L6b9F9IiAZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8o8GSkkeXH0

These ads are all over the swing states. I don't think he is losing much ground if Obama keeps making claims that we do not create our own success.

boutons_deux
07-17-2012, 01:27 PM
"we do not create our own success."

the claim is that govt HELPS people to their own success.

examples:

$700B/year to MIC companies,

selling US govt land/sea leases for a song to mineral extractors, forestry companies,

Interstate highway system, TVA, hydro dams,

Universal Service taxes to subsidize rural (red-state bubbas) telephone/Internet service,

etc, etc.

EVAY
07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Most people aren't paying attention to the campaigns yet.

I cannot really imagine that this will be much of an issue in the fall, but it does make Romney's campaign look idiotic in the short run.

EVAY
07-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I am currently in one of the swing states for the summer and the ads are playing nonstop around here...but right after the Obama ad is a Romney ad...

Americans are going to get sore hands from pressing the mute buttons on their tv sets over the next several months.

elbamba
07-17-2012, 02:40 PM
"we do not create our own success."

the claim is that govt HELPS people to their own success.

examples:

$700B/year to MIC companies,

selling US govt land/sea leases for a song to mineral extractors, forestry companies,

Interstate highway system, TVA, hydro dams,

Universal Service taxes to subsidize rural (red-state bubbas) telephone/Internet service,

etc, etc.

The problem is that those are stupid examples.

johnsmith
07-17-2012, 02:45 PM
I am currently in one of the swing states for the summer and the ads are playing nonstop around here...but right after the Obama ad is a Romney ad...

Americans are going to get sore hands from pressing the mute buttons on their tv sets over the next several months.

I was in Denver last week and every commercial break had a minimum of two ads.....and just like you said, one after another.

EVAY
07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Apparently some of the campaign finance laws are impacting the extent to which each party can spend money now.

The Romney campaign has out-raised the Obama Campaign by a large margin, but can't spend most of it until after the convention.

That is when we are all REALLY going to get sick of ads...attack and otherwise.

cheguevara
07-17-2012, 02:51 PM
:lmao "democracy"

johnsmith
07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Apparently some of the campaign finance laws are impacting the extent to which each party can spend money now.

The Romney campaign has out-raised the Obama Campaign by a large margin, but can't spend most of it until after the convention.

I like how they follow all the rules during the campaign but once it's over, all bets are off and politicians can do whatever the fuck they want.

EVAY
07-17-2012, 02:59 PM
^^^^And the rules themselves are pretty toothless anymore.

elbamba
07-17-2012, 04:37 PM

I heard that today. Do you have a source? I would like to read up on it a little.

EVAY
07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
I heard that today. Do you have a source? I would like to read up on it a little.

Sorry I only saw this just now. I heard it on that Washington Week television show on pbs last friday night. I can't remember which panelist brought it up, though...I think it was the woman from Real Clear Politics.

EVAY
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
^^^It is also on today's Yahoo news. Romney himself explains that his primary contest used up a lot of money that was committed to his primary run, and that money is the only funding that can currently be used.

Monies raised since the end of the primary cannot be used until after the Republican Convention.

Since Obama has had no primary opponents, he can spend money now that would have been in the primary race (had there been one).

After the Conventions, I think you will see tons more Romney ads attacking Obama.

That is when the Dems are worried that they won't have the funds to come anywhere near Romney's expenditure level, and why they are trying so hard now to 'define' him before he gets such a big financial leverage after the convention.

If Obama's camp succeeds in defining Romney with negative connotations, their hope is that the financial imbalance after the conventions will too late to change the election results.

I'm kind of interested in seeing how it plays out. Not yet convinced I'm going to vote.