PDA

View Full Version : Scola to the Suns

Jodelo
07-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Phoenix Suns are awarded ex-Rockets forward Luis Scola, per league sources. Houston used amnesty clause on Scola Friday.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-15-2012, 04:13 PM
wonder how much they got him for

jeebus
07-15-2012, 04:14 PM
:lol upstairs

Xylus
07-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Whhaaaaaat? What's the source.

Jodelo
07-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Stein:
The NBA's 30 teams have just been notified that Phoenix has won waiver auction for Luis Scola

TE
07-15-2012, 04:20 PM
:lol stuck with Matt "redrocket" Bonner and Dejuan "currently eating career away" blair

timtonymanu
07-15-2012, 04:21 PM
:lol upstairs

:lol long shot he was coming over anyway.

But it would have been nice, tbh. :(

InRareForm
07-15-2012, 04:26 PM
lol RT ‏@pschneider45
@HPbasketball I hope all those guys bring their "papers"

InRareForm
07-15-2012, 04:26 PM
RT @sam_amick Josh Childress has been amnestied by Phoenix, per source.

jeebus
07-15-2012, 04:27 PM
:lol long shot he was coming over anyway.

But it would have been nice, tbh. :(

A very long shot. Not worth the 10 pages of cock stroking that went on in that thread upstairs. Pretty much any decent big man that has been amnestied won't be coming to SA.

JMarkJohns
07-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Amnestying Childress and bringing in Scola is a win and a half...

InRareForm
07-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Phoenix Rockets

thispego
07-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Dejuan "currently eating career away" blair

I don't get it, is it supposed to be funny?

timtonymanu
07-15-2012, 04:33 PM
A very long shot. Not worth the 10 pages of cock stroking that went on in that thread upstairs. Pretty much any decent big man that has been amnestied won't be coming to SA.

I would have preferred we bring in Kenyon Martin, tbh.

But I love how once timvp makes a list and Spur fan looks at it, they instantly start hoping for "certain player" to come over.

Go get Scola, RC! :cry

Now that Scola is out .... go get Martin, RC! :cry

TE
07-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't get it, is it supposed to be funny?

Not as funny as a 30+ year old who has a career job at taco bell and is concomitantly raising a bastard son.

but yeah, not that funny

jeebus
07-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I would have preferred we bring in Kenyon Martin, tbh.

But I love how once timvp makes a list and Spur fan looks at it, they instantly start hoping for "certain player" to come over.

Go get Scola, RC! :cry

Now that Scola is out .... go get Martin, RC! :cry

Thus the cock stroking going on, trying to convince each other that a washed up Thugget is going to improve the Spurs.

mercos
07-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Dragic, Beasley, and Scola, not a bad offseason for the Suns. They have some solid pieces now. Along with Gortat, they could definitely make a run at the 6,7, or 8 spots in the West.

DMC
07-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Not as funny as a 30+ year old who has a career job at taco bell and is concomitantly raising a bastard son.

but yeah, not that funny
:lmao

JMarkJohns
07-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Dragic, Beasley, and Scola, not a bad offseason for the Suns. They have some solid pieces now. Along with Gortat, they could definitely make a run at the 6,7, or 8 spots in the West.

Suns will now overpay for some groceries...

da_suns_fan
07-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Couldnt have said it any better myself.

ElNono
07-15-2012, 05:43 PM

but yeah, not that funny

:lol

ElNono
07-15-2012, 05:43 PM
good pickup for Phoenix...

DPG21920
07-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Why? They still suck and he eats at development time for other guys. He also helps them win a few games they shouldn't so what the hell where they thinking?

GB20
07-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Why? They still suck and he eats at development time for other guys. He also helps them win a few games they shouldn't so what the hell where they thinking?

because he is really good to pass on.

JMarkJohns
07-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Sarver would rather be average with an entertaining product to put butts in seats to make money than suck to contend. If they get OJ Mayo now, Dragic, Mayo, Beasley, Scola, Gortat with Marshall, Dudley, Frye, Morris, Lopez is a 6-seed assuming chemistry. That is all that matters to Sarver.

InRareForm
07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
7th to 10th seed imo..

ElNono
07-15-2012, 06:37 PM

It's a low risk move. Luis would be on a contract that should be tradeable next season if that's what they want to do. Plus now that Gordon isn't going they still need to fill up the minimum salary and put a product decent enough to get some asses on the seats.

Kobayagi
07-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Did Dragic and Scola have good chemistry in Houston?

mojorizen7
07-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Yep.
Still,i dont see that squad winning more than 35 games. Guys like Frye,Gortat,Warrick and probably even Duds are going to find life very difficult without Nash spoonfeeding them good shots every night. I love Dragic,but offensive chemistry will be a big issue IMO. Beasley will be chucking to get his points,Scola can create a little for a slow big guy....

At least i'm HOPING its an issue because yeah,winning between 35-45 games next season is the last thing the Suns need.

pass1st
07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Why were spurfans circle jerking to washed up Scola? :lol

racm
07-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Yep.
Still,i dont see that squad winning more than 35 games. Guys like Frye,Gortat,Warrick and probably even Duds are going to find life very difficult without Nash spoonfeeding them good shots every night. I love Dragic,but offensive chemistry will be a big issue IMO. Beasley will be chucking to get his points,Scola can create a little for a slow big guy....

At least i'm HOPING its an issue because yeah,winning between 35-45 games next season is the last thing the Suns need.

And Dragic isn't a natural pass-first guard...

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Other than being able to talk shit to Scolarules, I don't really see any reason to do this.

At least they finally amnestied Childress.

Jeremy
07-15-2012, 08:11 PM

They should have amnestied Frye instead, tbh. Now they have Scola, Frye, Morris, and perhaps Beasley all vying for the starting PF spot. We've gone from having no PFs to having too many.

Plus this takes away from next summer's potential cap space. They might as well sign Mayo now.

I'm scared to find out how much we had to pay Scola in order to outbid Cuban. Yikes.

Kai
07-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Sarver would rather be average with an entertaining product to put butts in seats to make money than suck to contend. If they get OJ Mayo now, Dragic, Mayo, Beasley, Scola, Gortat with Marshall, Dudley, Frye, Morris, Lopez is a 6-seed assuming chemistry. That is all that matters to Sarver.

Yep. This is a typical Suns move. Bringing in one average to good role player after another.

baseline bum
07-15-2012, 08:58 PM

6-seed? I doubt they're as good as last year, much less being able to leapfrog three western playoff teams and possibly a Houston team with Howard. If everything comes together and a playoff team or two in the west has some serious injury woes, then an 8-seed might be possible, but otherwise I'm not seeing it.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-15-2012, 09:03 PM
And Dragic isn't a natural pass-first guard...
The 8 assists Dragic averaged as a starter last year is just fine.

Having a volume assist "pass first point guard" is one of the most overrated things in the NBA.

ElNono
07-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Why were spurfans circle jerking to washed up Scola? :lol

When you trot out Bonner for 20mpg, even Scola looks like Wilt, tbh...

Latarian Milton
07-15-2012, 09:43 PM
dont fancy the suns to make playoffs at least not likely in the next season, they just assembled a group of role players and made up a team that's arguably better than the only likes of wolves and queens in the western conference. they got all them decent role players but they lost their "corner stone" :lol

JMarkJohns
07-15-2012, 10:08 PM
6-seed? I doubt they're as good as last year, much less being able to leapfrog three western playoff teams and possibly a Houston team with Howard. If everything comes together and a playoff team or two in the west has some serious injury woes, then an 8-seed might be possible, but otherwise I'm not seeing it.

Possible, but Jazz traded Harris, Dallas is in decline and Houston has lost a ton.

Kai
07-15-2012, 10:13 PM
to be fair the difference between a 6 seed and 8 seed in the west really isn't much.

JMarkJohns
07-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Difference text 6th and 10th isn't much. Hasn't been for a few years.

Jeremy
07-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Contract is 3 yrs/$13.5 million=$4.5 million per year. Not too horrible in itself I suppose.

Xylus
07-16-2012, 02:10 AM
$4.5 mil/yr for a player of Scola's caliber is a steal.

Jeremy
07-16-2012, 02:15 AM

Agreed, but he's 32 years old, and takes cap space away from next summer.

BTW, the 3rd year of the contract is only partially guaranteed (I believe $1.4 million of it is guaranteed, since they had to offer a minimum of $10 million, and first 2 years are $4.1 million and $4.5 million, respectively).

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't like giving him a 3 year deal, the Suns have now wasted a little too much flexibility on this team. I wanted to see a true youth movement and if they suck then they suck and improve from the draft.

I also like Scola as nothing more than a bench scorer on a championship team. His lack of defense/size coupled with his age/limited athleticism makes me think the ship has sailed on him playing a really important role on a contender, which this Suns team is a long ways away from.

Mel_13
07-16-2012, 09:28 AM

It's close to the MLE, which is probably what he would have been looking at as a free agent. Market value deal, not a steal.

Mel_13
07-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Agreed, but he's 32 years old, and takes cap space away from next summer.

BTW, the 3rd year of the contract is only partially guaranteed (I believe $1.4 million of it is guaranteed, since they had to offer a minimum of $10 million, and first 2 years are $4.1 million and $4.5 million, respectively).

Contract became fully guaranteed when Phoenix claimed him.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 09:35 AM
They should have amnestied Frye instead, tbh. Now they have Scola, Frye, Morris, and perhaps Beasley all vying for the starting PF spot. We've gone from having no PFs to having too many.

Plus this takes away from next summer's potential cap space. They might as well sign Mayo now.

I'm scared to find out how much we had to pay Scola in order to outbid Cuban. Yikes.
Since getting rid of Amare, they've always had the problem of several crappy PFs with no good PF. That's not a new problem.

From what I've seen, their plan is for Beasley to play SF and Ty Corbin believes he can turn Beasley into a defensive stopper at the position. That doesn't have a very high chance of working, but it's their plan and I think it's worth a shot. If anyone can motivate Beasley on that end of the court it's Gentry. He certainly has all the physical tools to be an elite perimeter defender and all the offensive skill to play small forward.

I agree about cap space for next summer though. None of the players they signed are franchise players, and the team they've put together coupled with Gentry's coaching is probably too good to get a franchise player through the draft unless they get really lucky and Shabazz gets caught in a gay orgy a week before the draft.

They still can clear cap space by trading Dudley or Gortat (I'd be surprised if Babby isn't shopping Gortat or Dudley right now). IIRC, the last year of Warrick's deal is a team option or only partially guaranteed so they can clear cap space that way too.

Compared to the ways other teams are using cap space this off season, I'm not overly concerned. Beasley, Dragic and Scola were all bargains compared to the likes of Omar Asik, Nic Batum, or Landry Fields, guys with absolutely no potential to be more than role players.

jag
07-16-2012, 10:28 AM

but yeah, not that funny

:lol

TE with the effortless goods