PDA

View Full Version : Just emptied all the "waste" from the RV on our camping trip

DeadlyDynasty
07-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Single worst experience of my life. I will never camp again.

Reck
07-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Yeah I would probably hate camping myself.

It is specially bad when you have never done it before.

What made it bad for you?

baseline bum
07-15-2012, 09:25 PM
RV? Are you sixty fucking years old, DD? Camping is the shit you do in tents to get the fuck away from the tourists you were complaining about tbh.

leemajors
07-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Dig deeper

lakerhaterade
07-15-2012, 09:37 PM
RV? Are you sixty fucking years old, DD? Camping is the shit you do in tents to get the fuck away from the tourists you were complaining about tbh.

:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
07-16-2012, 08:39 AM
aE-nXAIEcC8

Drachen
07-16-2012, 08:44 AM
That is not camping. That is staying at a hotel.

TE
07-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Have to agree with BB and Drachen. Granted, everyone has their own opinion on what it means to be camping. I'm more for the "sleeping in tents" concept though

Back in the day, I once went camping and stayed in an RV, wasn't the same.

Sportcamper
07-16-2012, 09:22 AM
These days I only camp where their are nice hotels & room service...

Viva Las Espuelas
07-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah. Camping is done in tents imho

thispego
07-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Lol dd ruined, should have put "camping" in quotes instead of "waste" tbh

mrsmaalox
07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Ewwww I didn't know people actually used those toilets! :lol

We had an RV when I was a kid, we weren't allowed to use the toilet because Dad said it was for "emergencies" (meaning "nuclear holocaust" only); so we made gas station runs or dug a hole.

Jeff Van Gundy
07-16-2012, 12:42 PM

:lmao white people.

I'm a true american:cry I know how it truly feels to survive the wilderness in my RV :cry

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 01:00 PM
:lmao white people.

I'm a true american:cry I know how it truly feels to survive the wilderness in my RV :cry
That's not nearly as stupid as anyone who thinks "surviving in the wilderness" is something you go out of your way to do.

I've never understood whats so fun about sleeping in a tent (or RV for that matter) in some forest that's infested with mosquitos and other bugs, having to shit in a hole, and having to work 10x as hard as normal to prepare meals on what's supposed to be a "vacation".

If that type of lifestyle is so fun, there are plenty of countries in Africa, Southeast Asia and South America where you can live like that 100% of the time and not have to worry about shit like a job, the electric bill or car payments.

resistanze
07-16-2012, 01:05 PM
That's not nearly as stupid as anyone who thinks "surviving in the wilderness" is something you go out of your way to do.

I've never understood whats so fun about sleeping in a tent (or RV for that matter) in some forest that's infested with mosquitos and other bugs, having to shit in a hole, and having to work 10x as hard as normal to prepare meals on what's supposed to be a "vacation".

If that type of lifestyle is so fun, there are plenty of countries in Africa, Southeast Asia and South America where you can live like that 100% of the time and not have to worry about shit like a job, the electric bill or car payments.

:lol Truth Bomb

Try telling my immigrant parents to go camping. There's a reason they emigrated - that shit ain't a novelty.

DPG21920
07-16-2012, 01:10 PM

That is like saying why work out - it's not fun, it's hard to do and you have to work 10x harder than those fat people that just eat and drink everything they want!

There is an element of doing something a little harder that is fun to people and being outside, in nature & away from the phones, e-mails....can be very rewarding and entertaining if you are into the outdoors. If you have never spent time camping with friends enjoying water, hiking and drinking by the fire then IMO you are missing out.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
That is like saying why work out - it's not fun, it's hard to do and you have to work 10x harder than those fat people that just eat and drink everything they want!
You also look better than those fat people, lower your risk for idk how many different diseases, live longer, feel better, and aren't as repulsive to people of the opposite gender as someone who's fat. I really don't see how camping produces those kinds of positive results, so it's not the same at all :lol

There is an element of doing something a little harder that is fun to people and being outside, in nature & away from the phones, e-mails....can be very rewarding and entertaining if you are into the outdoors. If you have never spent time camping with friends enjoying water, hiking and drinking by the fire then IMO you are missing out.
Maybe it's just because Phoenix has tons of hiking trails, but I've gone hiking idk how many times without having to set up a tent and camp. I've also been to idk how many parties with friends where there was a bonfire we all sat around and drank. I've also turned my phone and computer off when I wanted to be away from phone/email. I've managed to do all that without having to give up the luxury of plumbing and a bed.

redzero
07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Civilization did not evolve into what it is today so people can still live in the woods.

resistanze
07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Civilization did not evolve into what it is today so people can still live in the woods.

http://yesbuthowever.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/amish.jpg
They disagree.

lakerhaterade
07-16-2012, 01:58 PM

Redzero with the hook-n-sinker hipsterish goods

BUMP
07-16-2012, 02:07 PM

It depends what the purpose of the trip is.

I'd love to camp out in some of the parks in the Northwest US/Alaska for like 3-4 days just for the experience.

However, I'm not gonna camp in Stinky Goat Creek, out in the middle of nowhere, because it's a waste of time. After the first 3 hours I know I'm gonna be tired of inhaling skunk piss and I'd be ready to head back to civilization. I'd rather spend my time not staring at the same river for 4 days

thispego
07-16-2012, 02:24 PM
dpg knows what's up. Camping ain't for everyone but if you're into the outdoors, it can be fun as shit. I won't camp anywhere there is not a body of water though.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 02:53 PM
It depends what the purpose of the trip is.

I'd love to camp out in some of the parks in the Northwest US/Alaska for like 3-4 days just for the experience.

However, I'm not gonna camp in Stinky Goat Creek, out in the middle of nowhere, because it's a waste of time. After the first 3 hours I know I'm gonna be tired of inhaling skunk piss and I'd be ready to head back to civilization. I'd rather spend my time not staring at the same river for 4 days

EXACTLY. Tbis was a campground outside of Niagara Falls by Lake Ontario, not some wilderness adventure.

:lol at all the "hurr-durr, ur not hardcore b/c you don't use a tent!" douchebags. If you were really hardcore you wouldn't need your $79 Kmart Coleman tent.

Emptying the shitter sucked no doubt, but it sure as hell beat tenting it last year.

I'll be the guy chilling in the ac while you can be the faggot sitting out in 95 degree heat with sweat dripping off your balls and mosquitoes and horse flies biting your gooch.

Camping just sucks period, unless it's an exotic locale an isolated from most of civilization. Redzero hit the nail on the head, tbh.

mingus
07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Camping is fun. Different people find different things rewarding or annoying/bothersome. Personally, nothing about camping bothers me to the point where it outweighs the benefits.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
If you were really hardcore you wouldn't need your $79 Kmart Coleman tent.
Or the portable skillet used to make pancakes every morning :lol

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Or the portable skillet used to make pancakes every morning :lol

Crofl...outdoors people are the epitome of hypocrisy, and are about as annoying as asian tourists and vietnam vets.

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 03:04 PM
I get that it's not for everyone, but camping is pretty fun if you do it in the backcountry away from people. A good pack, sleeping bag, pad, tent, stove, rain gear, etc isn't cheap, but if you spend the money up front for lightweight gear it makes all the difference in the world. Nothing like waking up by a lake with water so clear you can see all the fish while watching the sunrise on a peak behind it with no one else around yelling "pict-a pict-a" like DD was saying. Plus if you're bringing your gear into the backcountry you just move on if you're sick of the same lake. I do agree camping in big campsites packed like sardines with a bunch of fucking loud people running their generators all night long sucks though.

thispego
07-16-2012, 03:06 PM
EXACTLY. Tbis was a campground outside of Niagara Falls by Lake Ontario, not some wilderness adventure.

:lol at all the "hurr-durr, ur not hardcore b/c you don't use a tent!" douchebags. If you were really hardcore you wouldn't need your $79 Kmart Coleman tent.

Emptying the shitter sucked no doubt, but it sure as hell beat tenting it last year.

I'll be the guy chilling in the ac while you can be the faggot sitting out in 95 degree heat with sweat dripping off your balls and mosquitoes and horse flies biting your gooch.

Camping just sucks period, unless it's an exotic locale an isolated from most of civilization. Redzero hit the nail on the head, tbh.

Lol bothered by heat and sweat

Also, in Texas we have this stuff called OFF, maybe you've heard of it :rolleyes. it is mosquito/bug repellant. I don't use the stuff cause Mosquitos have never really gone after me but it works wonders.

mingus
07-16-2012, 03:09 PM
I get that it's not for everyone, but camping is pretty fun if you do it in the backcountry away from people. A good pack, sleeping bag, pad, tent, stove, rain gear, etc isn't cheap, but if you spend the money up front for lightweight gear it makes all the difference in the world. Nothing like waking up by a lake with water so clear you can see all the fish while watching the sunrise on a peak behind it with no one else around yelling "pict-a pict-a" like DD was saying. Plus if you're bringing your gear into the backcountry you just move on if you're sick of the same lake. I do agree camping in big campsites packed like sardines with a bunch of fucking loud people running their generators all night long sucks though.

Exactly. A lot of the criticism seems to be coming from people who have no clue how to camp and minimize or negate the things they view as problems.

mingus
07-16-2012, 03:12 PM
A lot of stupidity in this thread.

The Gemini Method
07-16-2012, 03:14 PM
To each their own...

I go camping once in a while...well, I guess you can construe it as camping. The last time I went it was near Malibu and there was an infestation of blue jackets (not the hockey kind) and that kind've ruined it. However, being able to sleep along the shoreline did have its privileges. I'm not going to lie--being a product of inner-city life does make camping/existing outside the city limits a tad more interesting than say, if I was able to do it as a child.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Lol bothered by heat and sweat

Also, in Texas we have this stuff called OFF, maybe you've heard of it :rolleyes. it is mosquito/bug repellant. I don't use the stuff cause Mosquitos have never really gone after me but it works wonders.

:lolgoing out of your way to be uncomfortable and feign happiness

Btw, OFF never works if you truly are in a camp setting, so way to expose yourself there too, brah

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Headnets and long-sleeves are the way to go for mosquitos, but I don't go camping in May through early July when they're a problem.

DPG21920
07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
You also look better than those fat people, lower your risk for idk how many different diseases, live longer, feel better, and aren't as repulsive to people of the opposite gender as someone who's fat. I really don't see how camping produces those kinds of positive results, so it's not the same at all :lol

Maybe it's just because Phoenix has tons of hiking trails, but I've gone hiking idk how many times without having to set up a tent and camp. I've also been to idk how many parties with friends where there was a bonfire we all sat around and drank. I've also turned my phone and computer off when I wanted to be away from phone/email. I've managed to do all that without having to give up the luxury of plumbing and a bed.

The point was to say that some people can find fun/joy in doing something that is not the easiest.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 03:24 PM
The point was to say that some people can find fun/joy in doing something that is not the easiest.
They can find joy in something that has obvious health benefits....like living longer.

If sleeping in a tent and camping was shown to make people live longer, I'd go camping every weekend.

The Gemini Method
07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
They can find joy in something that has obvious health benefits....like living longer.

If sleeping in a tent and camping was shown to make people live longer, I'd go camping every weekend.

Working out and eating healthy isn't always a guarantee that you're going to live longer either. It helps, but it isn't always the for sure thing.

Camping is the same way--it can aid in reducing stress, which, has been shown to help aid in quality of life, but it isn't completely certain.

What if someone were to workout while camping--that's the best of two worlds.

mavs>spurs
07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
camping is fun if you like exploring while hiking or canoeing/kayaking, as well as fishing or hunting. people don't typical go camping just to sit out in the woods and count bugs, they do it because of one or a combination of those activities i listed. why would anyone think the purpose of camping was to just sit there and lick skunk asses or something? :lol dumb

The Gemini Method
07-16-2012, 03:40 PM
camping is fun if you like exploring while hiking or canoeing/kayaking, as well as fishing or hunting. people don't typical go camping just to sit out in the woods and count bugs, they do it because of one or a combination of those activities i listed. why would anyone think the purpose of camping was to just sit there and lick skunk asses or something? :lol dumb

Don't rule out the power of bath salts and the likelihood someone probably will try and eat/lick a skunk's ass in the near future...

Jeff Van Gundy
07-16-2012, 04:03 PM

:lol ac
:lol RV
:lol doing something that you can do at home
:lol true american

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Sitting around a fire telling scary stories and eating marshmellows is something anyone can do at home too.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM

:lolbeing miserable while I'm being comfortable--all while enjoying the same scenery.
:loltents
:lolfaux outdoorsmen
:lolshitting in the woods
:lolwiping your ass with poison ivy

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Working out and eating healthy isn't always a guarantee that you're going to live longer either. It helps, but it isn't always the for sure thing.

Camping is the same way--it can aid in reducing stress, which, has been shown to help aid in quality of life, but it isn't completely certain.

What if someone were to workout while camping--that's the best of two worlds.
:lmao seriously? You're trying to compare working out and camping as far as positive health benefits?

DisAsTerBot
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
crofl "if you like camping you should go live in somalia"

DPG21920
07-16-2012, 04:08 PM

:lol I didn't say you can't find joy in exercising. In fact, the opposite. I said that most people would say exercising is not fun or easy, but some people can find it fun and really enjoy it.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:09 PM
crofl "if you like camping you should go live in somalia"
People in Somalia get to sleep in a tent and shit in the woods 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

They've got it lucky imo.

DisAsTerBot
07-16-2012, 04:09 PM
People in Somalia get to sleep in a tent and shit in the woods 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

They've got it lucky imo.

because if you go camping for the weekend it means you want to live in the woods forever :tu

DPG21920
07-16-2012, 04:10 PM
No one says its something you want to do every day - they say, because of all the things to do if you like being outdoors (hiking, lakes, fishing, being surrounded by nature...), that it's a fun thing to do every now and then.

Doesn't mean they hate every day life in America :lol

mavs>spurs
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
The point is that it's sometimes refreshing to get away from civilization and forget about everything. You either get it and are into the outdoors or you don't. No need to bash something just because you aren't into it. People vacation to places all the time where they wouldn't want to actually live 365 days a year.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
:lol I didn't say you can't find joy in exercising. In fact, the opposite. I said that most people would say exercising is not fun or easy, but some people can find it fun and really enjoy it.

Try a different analogy. You can exercise any day of the week. Choosing to take your few vacation days to sleep in a puddle of sweat while picking ticks off your scrote is something else.

I'm not talking about kayaking or hiking or anything else like m>s alluded to either...just the regular old camping shit.

Jeff Van Gundy
07-16-2012, 04:12 PM
:lolbeing miserable while I'm being comfortable--all while enjoying the same scenery.
:loltents
:lolfaux outdoorsmen
:lolshitting in the woods
:lolwiping your ass with poison ivy

:lol relies too much on electricity
:lol misrable
:lol RV's
:lol mini house
:lol i just wanna stay inside me RV cause i hate outdoors

mavs>spurs
07-16-2012, 04:12 PM
None of us are actually true basketball fans because we don't play it nonstop, 24/7. we should all just move to our corporate offices because we love it so much :lol

/dok

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:18 PM
rofl the camper people going the hipster route

"You either get the outdoors or you don't. Waking up with mosquitoes up your ass and making pancakes on a portable skillet is simply too deep for you."

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 04:18 PM
:lol relies too much on electricity
:lol misrable
:lol RV's
:lol mini house
:lol i just wanna stay inside me RV cause i hate outdoors

:lolyou missed the part where I said it was a regular campground, not some secluded wilderness expedition...screaming kids, miserable heat (and humidity at night), and everything else.

I got to swim in Lake Ontario, fish by a nearby creek, and still sleep in comfort while some of those poor suckers were miserable:lol

Who knew outdoors people/country folk were so defensive?

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
:lmao seriously? You're trying to compare working out and camping as far as positive health benefits?

Hiking up a mountain is a lot more fun than running on a treadmill tbh.

Lincoln
shit was fun when I was a kid and went campin with my dad tbh but now it ain't somethin I surely look forward, havent been in forever although it'd be nice to get away from da city imho :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
None of us are actually true basketball fans because we don't play it nonstop, 24/7. we should all just move to our corporate offices because we love it so much :lol

/dok
If I could watch or play basketball during the day for the rest of my life rather than work, I would, but that's not really a viable option financially.

Lincoln
07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
jeff van gundy ain't the best troll imho

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Hiking up a mountain is a lot more fun than running on a treadmill tbh.
So hiking up a mountain is something you need to go camping to do? I live 10 minutes away from a mountain I hike 2-3 times a week.

mavs>spurs
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
If I could watch or play basketball during the day for the rest of my life rather than work, I would, but that's not really a viable option financially.

the only things we are allowed truly like are the ones we would do 24/7 if we were allowed to. you can only choose one, choose wisely :lol

i don't even think i could fuck 24/7 even if i wanted to tbh

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
So hiking up a mountain is something you need to go camping to do? I live 10 minutes away from a mountain I hike 2-3 times a week.

It helps if the mountain you want to climb isn't near a road.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 04:22 PM

I used to hike up that hill behind Sun Devil Stadium 2-3 times a day when I lived there...shit was brutal

mavs>spurs
07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
:lolyou missed the part where I said it was a regular campground, not some secluded wilderness expedition...screaming kids, miserable heat (and humidity at night), and everything else.

I got to swim in Lake Ontario, fish by a nearby creek, and still sleep in comfort while some of those poor suckers were miserable:lol

Who knew outdoors people/country folk were so defensive?

i'd always prefer to take an RV or rent a cabin if possible. the heat isn't exactly something people look forward to, it's just what you sometimes have to do in order to get off the beaten path imho.

i want to take a trip to yellowstone someday but we sold the camper :cry

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
The only legitimate complaint I have heard here about camping is having to shit in a hole. That does fucking blow.

Lincoln
07-16-2012, 04:24 PM
the only things we are allowed truly like are the ones we would do 24/7 if we were allowed to. you can only choose one, choose wisely :lol

fucking definitely takes a lot of endurance if it somethin you wanna do 24/7 tbh, not many niggas could do it imho, they chinks surely couldn't :lol

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 04:24 PM
i'd always prefer to take an RV or rent a cabin if possible. the heat isn't exactly something people look forward to, it's just what you sometimes have to do in order to get off the beaten path imho.

The one I've always wanted to go to is Crater Lake in Oregon. I'd sleep on a bed of rocks just to do that trip, tbh.

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 04:25 PM

There is no time of the year when it will be even warm at night in Yellowstone tbh. You can go in August and it's still going to be mid to high 30s at sunrise.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
You can go in August and it's still going to be mid to high 30s at sunrise.

You shittin me?

mavs>spurs
07-16-2012, 04:28 PM
There is no time of the year when it will be even warm at night in Yellowstone tbh. You can go in August and it's still going to be mid to high 30s at sunrise.

Yeh but whottt about dem bear attacks crofl. I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with my tent shredded and my head inside a bears mouth all over a few crumbs that fell in my sleeping bag imho.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:31 PM
It helps if the mountain you want to climb isn't near a road.
The mountain is backed off behind a residential area.

The summit trail is miserable at peak hours but there are other trails that I go on which are always completely empty and quiet.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM

The things I would take a vacation doing are things that I would do a lot more if I could.

That's why I wouldn't take vacations just to look at scenery/museums and shit. It's fuckin boring :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:35 PM
I used to hike up that hill behind Sun Devil Stadium 2-3 times a day when I lived there...shit was brutal
I'm trying to figure what that is you're referring to tbh.

Did you hike Squaw Peak at all when you lived here?

mavs>spurs
07-16-2012, 04:36 PM
The things I would take a vacation doing are things that I would do a lot more if I could.

That's why I wouldn't take vacations just to look at scenery/museums and shit. It's fuckin boring :lol

While I agree about the museums you have to acknowledge that everyone is different and some people actually do enjoy that stuff. Same thing with camping, it's not for everyone. I'm probably one of few young people I know who actually enjoy fishing, but I never really cared what other people thought.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm trying to figure what that is you're referring to tbh.

Did you hike Squaw Peak at all when you lived here?

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/asu/graphics/09-stadium-overhead-500.jpg

Nah, never did Squaw Peak (unless that's what it was called where I hiked). Where is it in relation to Tempe?

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/asu/graphics/09-stadium-overhead-500.jpg

Nah, never did Squaw Peak (unless that's what it was called where I hiked). Where is it in relation to Tempe?
Squaw Peak it at like Glendale and 22nd Street. You know the mountain the SR-51 curves around in between Northern and Shea? That's Squaw Peak, so basically Northwest of Tempe.

mavs>spurs
07-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I like hiking but would either of you ever think of climbing something like Everest? I don't think I like it enough to risk my life tbh. Didn't a few people just die there this year? The smaller mountains like the ones you guys are talking about seem more like it tbh. We got one here by the house I've been on a few times, but it isn't really big enough.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I recall it somehat. I lived in the most nondescript area of Tempe, tbh...fff Southern and McClintock

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:42 PM
It hasn't been named Squaw Peak for a few years because the TROGs who live in the reserves around Phoenixgot really butthurt because Squaw I guess means whore in the primitive language TROGs used to speak but everyone still calls it Squaw Peak.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I like hiking but would either of you ever think of climbing something like Everest? I don't think I like it enough to risk my life tbh. Didn't a few people just die there this year? The smaller mountains like the ones you guys are talking about seem more like it tbh. We got one here by the house I've been on a few times, but it isn't really big enough.
The success rate for climbing Everest is extremely low :lol

I'd never do it, especially since it's more mountain climbing than it is hiking.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I like hiking but would either of you ever think of climbing something like Everest? I don't think I like it enough to risk my life tbh. Didn't a few people just die there this year?

:lolHell no...pretty sure people die there almost every year iirc. I might go just to loot off all the frozen climbers that are up there

mavs>spurs
07-16-2012, 04:45 PM
The only reason I ever went up on the little one by the house is because there used to be an indian burial cave on it that people were trying to loot so the owners just bulldozed it shut years ago. There's rumored to be a stash of gold up there too dating back to all the train robberies in fort worth back in the day. Went up there with a metal detector and didn't find shit :lol

Metal detecting is another strange hobby that I'm into. You can find all kinds of stuff.

Lincoln
07-16-2012, 04:48 PM
What type of stuff u find?

PuttPutt
07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/581966_3402273698253_1999270730_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539842_3402274018261_541086784_n.jpg

I just scoped out my next camping spot this past Saturday here in the Cascades. This place has been inaccessible for the past couple of years. As you see there's still a bit of snow there. Going to give it a few weeks & check it out again. No cell reception, none of life's drama, just friends kicking it up in the woods relaxing for a few days. :toast

The bottom pick you can see smoke. The tree was smoldering from a lightning strike during a storm that hit right before we got there.

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 05:22 PM

Nah, no chance in hell I'd ever attempt Everest. You basically have to do quit your job and train for a year before doing it, then you pay something like a $30,000 fee to the government of Nepal for the permit, then you pay another $30,000 or so to a guiding company, you spend about a month on the mountain, including 2 weeks just sitting on your ass in base camp at about 21,000 feet just trying to get used to the elevation. Then you make a few trips up and down the ice falls for acclimation and for moving supplies. And with all that preparation and cost it's still a 2 in 3 chance that either the weather or the altitude runs you off the mountain. When doing glacier travel like that you can't do it solo either, since you're dead if you fall into a crevasse without being roped up.

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 05:28 PM
You shittin me?

I went there a couple of years ago in August and even on the warmest day I was there it was still in the mid 30s at sunrise. Summertime 20s are the norm if you go up 2000 feet or so into the Beartooths.

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 05:35 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/581966_3402273698253_1999270730_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539842_3402274018261_541086784_n.jpg

I just scoped out my next camping spot this past Saturday here in the Cascades. This place has been inaccessible for the past couple of years. As you see there's still a bit of snow there. Going to give it a few weeks & check it out again. No cell reception, none of life's drama, just friends kicking it up in the woods relaxing for a few days. :toast

The bottom pick you can see smoke. The tree was smoldering from a lightning strike during a storm that hit right before we got there.

Never been to the Cascades, but it looks pretty awesome. Headed up to the Sierra next month, and can't wait to get to this lake:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~rlilly/High_Sierras/Minaret_R/Lake_Catherine.JPG

Area is way too rough to setup a tent though.

PuttPutt
07-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Never been to the Cascades, but it looks pretty awesome. Headed up to the Sierra next month, and can't wait to get to this lake:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~rlilly/High_Sierras/Minaret_R/Lake_Catherine.JPG

Area is way too rough to setup a tent though.

I want to get down to Crater Lake in Southern OR. That's on my list of places to camp.

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 05:40 PM
I want to get down to Crater Lake in Southern OR. That's on my list of places to camp.

If you want to see some great alpine lakes, check out the Beartooths around Lower Aero Lake. Nothing that can compete with Crater Lake, but there's about a billion of them within hiking distance. Good fishing too. The weather gets pretty nasty there though.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 05:40 PM
The one I've always wanted to go to is Crater Lake in Oregon. I'd sleep on a bed of rocks just to do that trip, tbh.

:toast

BUMP
07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
I like hiking but would either of you ever think of climbing something like Everest?

tbh it's expensive as fuck just to get certified to do it but I'd definitely wanna try someday if I had the money

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
I'd love to go to Crater Lake and do the 50 mile loop around it; if I do it, I want to do it in the winter though.

DeadlyDynasty
07-16-2012, 05:47 PM
I'd love to go to Crater Lake and do the 50 mile loop around it; if I do it, I want to do it in the winter though.

Park's closed in the winter.

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Park's closed in the winter.

I think the road around the lake is closed, which is awesome since it can then be used as a snowshoe or ski route. I could care less about the hotels, since I would want to camp there when going.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-16-2012, 06:53 PM
haven't been camping in 7 years, but sure would like to again. As others here said, shitting in a hole sucks. Everything else like sweat, bugs, heat, you get used to that stuff after a couple days anyways.

I can't wait to go camping again. Its mentally therapeutic to get out of the city and out to nature.

benefactor
07-16-2012, 07:27 PM
As others have said to each his own, but to hell with camping for me. If I need mental therapy I'll rent a beach house and listen to the ocean for a week.

CuckingFunt
07-16-2012, 10:38 PM

That's a tad more extreme, but similar to how it was where my family went camping every summer. We went and camped by the lake in Kirkwood, CA (high desert, close to South Lake Tahoe) at the same campgrounds where my dad had gone as a kid. Every summer, like clockwork. No matter how hot it was an hour or so away (around Jackson, for those familiar with California), days were on the chilly side of warm and nights required bundling up around the fire and in the sleeping bag. For me, that's just about perfect. The few times I've tried camping in super hot or super cold weather, I've been miserable.

CuckingFunt
07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I think the road around the lake is closed, which is awesome since it can then be used as a snowshoe or ski route. I could care less about the hotels, since I would want to camp there when going.

Snowshoeing sounded more fun to me than it actually was. I've got a cousin who works in Yosemite and lives there year-round and was always going on about how the only way he could get supplies during certain parts of the off-season was on snowshoes and how awesome it was, so I finally convinced him to take me snowshoeing and it sucked. A lot.

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
That's a tad more extreme, but similar to how it was where my family went camping every summer. We went and camped by the lake in Kirkwood, CA (high desert, close to South Lake Tahoe) at the same campgrounds where my dad had gone as a kid. Every summer, like clockwork. No matter how hot it was an hour or so away (around Jackson, for those familiar with California), days were on the chilly side of warm and nights required bundling up around the fire and in the sleeping bag. For me, that's just about perfect. The few times I've tried camping in super hot or super cold weather, I've been miserable.

A 35 degree morning is perfect hiking weather as long as it's not windy or raining/snowing. You're only cold for about 5 minutes even in shorts and a tshirt once you get moving.

baseline bum
07-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Snowshoeing sounded more fun to me than it actually was. I've got a cousin who works in Yosemite and lives there year-round and was always going on about how the only way he could get supplies during certain parts of the off-season was on snowshoes and how awesome it was, so I finally convinced him to take me snowshoeing and it sucked. A lot.

I thought snow-shoeing was a lot more fun than it sounded tbh. Doing it there around Glacier Point or Tuolumne Meadows must be incredible.

baseline bum
07-21-2012, 11:04 PM

Thought of this question when reading an article today. Here's an excerpt that explains in pretty good detail why I would never attempt it (though hiking to base camp might be cool).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Physicist on Everest: How Body and Mind Break Down at Elevation [Excerpt]
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=mt-everest-altitude-effects

At sea level, the brain tends to have a strong grip on reality. The world presents us with a situation or an image, and our synapses fire, neurons transmit, and signals race through the internal wiring of our skull creating an understanding. When the system works smoothly, we sense things as they are: hot is hot, cold is cold, and we only see two people on a mountain when there are only two people on a mountain. We don’t hear dead people speak.

Oxygen is the lubricant that keeps the brain operating as it should; blood is the vehicle that transports the oxygen around to the various needy organs. Every organ wants a share of the blood, but the body prioritizes to make sure that the most critical needs are met first. In fact, without our even realizing it, the body operates under its own Golden Rule: keep oxygen flowing to the brain, everything else is bonus. Consequently, as a climber goes up in altitude into thinner and thinner air, the body monitors oxygen needs, reroutes blood flow, and flips system controls like a train switchman.

First, your body automatically ramps up your breathing rate as you go up in altitude. By the time a climber reaches Base Camp on Everest, at eighteen thousand feet, the respiratory rate has roughly tripled. If you were taking a breath every ten seconds at sea level, then you’ll be sucking in a breath every three seconds at Base. The impact on the metabolism is striking. If all you did all day long was sit in your tent at Base Camp doing absolutely nothing but breathe, you would still burn about three thousand calories a day. Forget about the Atkins Diet or spending hours on the elliptical machine—planting your butt at Everest Base Camp is the world’s most effective weight loss program.

Thankfully, our body carefully monitors our breathing rate, even when we don’t. If your body relaxes too much while you’re sleeping and your breathing rate slips too low to satisfy the Golden Rule, then your body will snap you awake with a sharp spasmic gasp. Base Camp echoes with the sound of sudden rasping inhales throughout the night.

As a climber goes higher, the body begins to take more drastic measures to compensate for the thinning air. To preserve as much oxygen as possible for the brain, blood flow to the extremities becomes more limited. Fingers and toes start to go numb, making them dangerously susceptible to frostbite.

As a climber goes up even higher in altitude, into the so-called death zone, the dangerously thin air above 26,000 feet, there is so little oxygen available that the body makes a desperate decision: it cuts off the digestive system. The body can no longer afford to direct oxygen to the stomach to help digest food because that would divert what precious little oxygen is available away from the brain. The body will retch back up anything the climber tries to eat, even if it’s as small as an M&M.

The consequence of shutting down the digestive system is, of course, that the body can no longer take in any calories. Lacking an external fuel source, the body has no choice but to turn on itself. It now fuels itself by burning its own muscle—the very muscle needed to climb the mountain—at a rate of about two pounds per hour.

The climber’s body is now in total collapse. The respiratory system is working way beyond its tolerance at roughly four times above normal; the circulatory system is pumping at only 30 percent capacity; the digestive system has completely shut down; and the muscular system is eating away at itself. In short, the body is dying. Rapidly.

Up to this point the body has done an admirable job of prioritizing, rerouting blood, stealing from other systems to keep blood flowing to the brain. But if a climber chooses to continue to go up in altitude, then there are no more options left; the brain starts to massively erode.

To stave off that decay, many climbers carry a tank of supplemental oxygen. Supplemental oxygen for climbers doesn’t operate like air tanks for SCUBA divers. SCUBA breathing systems are self-contained; climbing systems are not. Instead, a climber’s tank is attached to a thin hose that flows a bit of extra oxygen just below the nose, enriching the ambient air by just a touch. The rule of thumb is that every liter per minute of flow from the tank will enrich each breath with the oxygen level equivalent to the air about one thousand feet lower in altitude.

Every climber who chooses to carry supplemental oxygen now considers two questions. How many tanks should I bring? How high of a flow rate can I set on the tank? The answers require trade-offs. If a climber brings more tanks, then a higher flow rate can be set and less deterioration results. But, and there is always a but, each tank adds weight that will slow the climber down.

All the climbers on our team brought two tanks and set their flow rate to two liters per minute. At that rate, climbers at the 29,029-foothigh summit of Everest will be breathing air as if they were at 27,029 feet. That doesn’t sound like much of a difference, and for some climbers it’s not enough.

Many climbers can’t function at a low flow rate. Others set a higher flow rate in order to keep them more nimble, but they miscalculate the length of time it will take them to summit and their tanks run out. In either case, the inevitable consequence is that the brain doesn’t get enough oxygen; the grip on reality goes slack, the mind drifts.

However, the mind doesn’t stop sending signals; instead it starts inventing its own tales. Making things even worse is that the climber doesn’t even know that the deterioration is occurring. I know this, because I saw it unfold in front of me.

As I made my way down the southeast ridge of Everest, with Ang Nima and Jim Williams now a few hundred feet above me, I saw a climber from our team, Bob Clemey, on his knees, gloves at his side, with his bare hands delicately gliding over the surface of the snow.

Depleted and needing warmth, Clemey saw with absolute clarity that a rock protruding from the snow was glowing red hot. He realized that lava from the very core of the earth was lifted up to the surface of Everest and was heating that rock. So he stripped off his gloves and began warming his hands over the rock like it was a campfire.

In reality, there was no glowing red rock, no lava. There was just a climber with bare hands frozen as solid as clubs, fingers gripping snow in a twenty-below-zero blizzard.

Clemey’s oxygen tanks were drained. There was no way of knowing how long he had been there or when he had run out of oxygen.

Our second crisis had begun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only posted the last 2 pages, but the first three are interesting too.

The Reckoning
07-22-2012, 05:28 AM
camping is great and so is backpacking. lots of interesting people to meet.

last time i went camping i took solar showers lol. theres something satisfying about being ass naked in the wilderness with a woman.