PDA

View Full Version : OJ Mayo Signs with Mavs

BatManu20
07-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Mavs have had a pretty good offseason after what appeared to be a disastrous one when they lost out on Deron Williams. They've added Mayo, Brand, Collison, and Kaman. What do you guys think of the move and where they'll probably seed in the playoffs?

Buddy Holly
07-16-2012, 11:15 PM
From dwill and Dwight to Kaman, collision, brand and mayo while losing Terry, Kidd. :lol

therealtruth
07-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Their continuity is gone. It's hard to win without continuity. First round is probably their ceiling.

DesignatedT
07-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Hopefully they gave him a lot of $, Mayo is solid but isn't a star.

ploto
07-16-2012, 11:18 PM
From dwill and Dwight to Kaman, collision, brand and mayo while losing Terry, Kidd. :lol

They never had the first 2 guys, and they are glad Kidd is gone.

DesignatedT
07-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Mayo's been pretty shitty the last couple of season tbqh. He's still young but this isn't some game changing signing.

AFBlue
07-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Collison > Kidd
Mayo < Terry
Brand > Mahinmi
Kaman > Haywood

Looks like net wins for Dallas, but does it make them into contenders? I don't think so. Mavs were swinging for the fences and ended up with a ground-rule double.

ElNono
07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Terry was pretty awful last year too...

The ADMIRAL 50
07-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Mavs have had a pretty decent offseason considering the post-letting-tyson-walk post-completely-blowing-it-on-deron-not-to-even-mention-dwight situation they found themselves in.

They are still fucked and really fucked up on the whole letting-tyson-walk-just-so-they-could-completely-blow-it-on-deron-and-dwight thing,

but a pretty decent offseason considering the post-letting-tyson-walk post-completely-blowing-it-on-deron-not-to-even-mention-dwight situation they found themselves in nonetheless.

Buddy Holly
07-16-2012, 11:31 PM
They never had the first 2 guys, and they are glad Kidd is gone.

That was their goal. What they ended up with is comical in comparison.

The ADMIRAL 50
07-16-2012, 11:33 PM
The question for Mavs fans is this:

Would you rather have had the same returning cast (CHANDLER, Barea, Stevenson and maybe even Butler) back to defend last year and moving forward, never getting the silly chance to swing and miss at Williams and Howard..

or

thrown away the chance to repeat and a season later end up with Mayo, Collison, Brand and Kaman.

Personally I would have chose the former.

Granted, hindsight is 20/20, but throwing away a shot to keep the team together and make another run has to sting for Mavsfan.

Buddy Holly
07-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Collison > Kidd
Mayo < Terry
Brand > Mahinmi
Kaman > Haywood

Looks like net wins for Dallas, but does it make them into contenders? I don't think so. Mavs were swinging for the fences and ended up with a ground-rule double.

It's not bad if it wasn't what they had to settle with. They shot for the moon and only got ten feet high.

Also, Brand and Kaman may be a better offensive front court but it's a worse defensive front court.

Spurs da champs
07-16-2012, 11:35 PM
It's not bad if it wasn't what they had to settle with. They shot for the moon and only got ten feet high.

Also, Brand and Kaman may be a better offensive front court but it's a worse defensive front court.

Kaman is a shitty defender but Brand has always been solid on D.

Also BTW I'm not even so sure that Collison is better then an ancient Jason Kidd, tbh Collison's play with the Pacers was very sub par I mean this guy got benched in favor of George Hill! Also Kidd is still a solid defender, Collison isn't even an adequate defender.

Kidd> Collison

The ADMIRAL 50
07-16-2012, 11:40 PM

exactly. as a consolation prize its not at all terrible, but within the context of what they went after they fell flat on their face.

Vic Petro
07-16-2012, 11:43 PM
No higher than a 7 seed.

Nathan89
07-16-2012, 11:47 PM
No higher than a 7 seed.

Better than a 7th seed.

Sean Cagney
07-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Nice recovery and signings from a disaster area!!!!!!! I hate Dallas but yeah they signed some good players and got what they could out there. Do I think they are sstaaackedddddddddd and a title runner? NO, but they are a playoff team.

DPG21920
07-16-2012, 11:49 PM
There is always some risk to a team built on short-term contracts, but they have a decent ceiling. Will be interesting to see how they come together.

Vic Petro
07-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Better than a 7th seed.

Not better than Spurs, Lakers, Clippers, Thunder, Grizzlies. You might have an argument with Denver but I'd still take the Nuggs.

SenorSpur
07-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Mavs are REALLY stacked now. :rolleyes

Probably well enough to garner a possible 6th or 7th seed.

deibero
07-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Its believed that the deal is for 3 yrs at 4mil per or around that area, because thats the cap room the mavs had left.

Now i ask you, if numbers are true, signing mayo to a contract like that isnt better than the very similiar contract we gave green? Mayo is the much better and complete player.

Obstructed_View
07-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Mavs had had a pretty good offseason after what appeared to be a disastrous one when they lost out on Deron Williams. They've added Mayo, Brand, Collison, and Kaman. What do you guys think of the move and where they'll probably seed in the lottery?

FIFY. The west is fucking deep. Last year's Mavs were a 7 seed.

CGD
07-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Not a bad piece to be honest, and btw him and Collison solid young part to build on for the future. Dirk isnt exactly a spry chicken, so the Mavs have to have one eye toward rebuilding.

Mayo didnt have a chance to shine in Memphis with Gay, Gasol, Randolph and even the OSU PG they have ahead of him in the scoring pecking order. I wouldnt be surprised is this is a mini-breakout year for him.

BTW anyone else find the Mavs less annoying now that Terry is gone?

Vic Petro
07-17-2012, 12:14 AM
BTW anyone else find the Mavs less annoying now that Terry is gone?

http://scm-l3.technorati.com/11/02/20/27451/mark-cuban.jpg

Buddy Holly
07-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Its believed that the deal is for 3 yrs at 4mil per or around that area, because thats the cap room the mavs had left.

Now i ask you, if numbers are true, signing mayo to a contract like that isnt better than the very similiar contract we gave green? Mayo is the much better and complete player.

First off, both are about the same. Second, we had Green's bird rights. That's why the Spurs were able to offer him that contract. Spurs aren't under the cap.

Russo21
07-17-2012, 12:55 AM
It was unrealistic to get both Howard and Williams. Getting Kamaan, Brand, Mayo and Collison is a damn productive offseason. And only lost Terry and Kidd. They got much better in my view.

Sean Cagney
07-17-2012, 01:04 AM
It was unrealistic to get both Howard and Williams. Getting Kamaan, Brand, Mayo and Collison is a damn productive offseason. And only lost Terry and Kidd. They got much better in my view.

MUCH BETTER? They did get better yes, but if you go much better might as well add losing Butler, Chandler, Barrea and Stevenson etc. Now add up that title team to this one? Is it a contender? I doubt it but yes they got better than last year, hard not to when you get swept in round one.

TE
07-17-2012, 01:14 AM
5th-8th seed.

They will make the playoffs.

Russo21
07-17-2012, 01:33 AM
Much better then last years team yes. I wasn't comparing it to the title team. They've done a very good job. Mayo is only 25, same with collison, kamman just hit 30 and Brand is 33 which isn't quite ancient.

Lost 2 old dudes in Kidd who is 39 and Terry who is 35. So they got younger, bigger and better then the 2012 team. Good job. Dammitt lol.

Russo21
07-17-2012, 01:38 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/dallas-mavericks-put-together-quietly-engaging-offseason-worth-150631377--nba.html

Sean Cagney
07-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Much better then last years team yes. I wasn't comparing it to the title team. They've done a very good job. Mayo is only 25, same with collison, kamman just hit 30 and Brand is 33 which isn't quite ancient.

Lost 2 old dudes in Kidd who is 39 and Terry who is 35. So they got younger, bigger and better then the 2012 team. Good job. Dammitt lol.

Fuck Dallas until the end of times, period.............

Bruno
07-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Mavs have build a nice supporting cast for Dirk but it is what it is: a supporting cast.
They will goo as far as a 34 years old Dirk can lead them. If he can play at a close MVP level, they will be very dangerous. Otherwise, they will lose in the first round like this year.

Russo21
07-17-2012, 03:16 AM
Fuck Dallas until the end of times, period.............

:lol Amen to that mate :toast

rascal
07-17-2012, 04:35 AM
That was their goal. What they ended up with is comical in comparison.

The Mavs have upgraded their roster. Good moves by Dallas.

therealtruth
07-17-2012, 06:16 AM

Would you rather have had the same returning cast (CHANDLER, Barea, Stevenson and maybe even Butler) back to defend last year and moving forward, never getting the silly chance to swing and miss at Williams and Howard..

or

thrown away the chance to repeat and a season later end up with Mayo, Collison, Brand and Kaman.

Granted, hindsight is 20/20, but throwing away a shot to keep the team together and make another run has to sting for Mavsfan.

I agree. Blow up the title team if it doesn't work but you at least have to try to defend your title.

racm
07-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Just like the Spurs in 04, tbh...

Wild Cobra Kai
07-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Mavs had had a pretty good offseason after what appeared to be a disastrous one when they lost out on Deron Williams. They've added Mayo, Brand, Collison, and Kaman. What do you guys think of the move and where they'll probably seed in the playoffs?

Those are all just pieces, not really better than what SA re-signed.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Mayo is the much better and complete player.

No he's not. Green is a better shooter and defender, what we need from our supporting cast. OJ has a better press agent that still has teams believing in that now almost unreachable ceiling. He's been in the league four years, and has regressed. He is what he is.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Guys on one year contracts are not invested in your team. That can be the difference between a 4 seed and an 8 seed.

Drom John
07-17-2012, 09:00 AM
6-10th seed, but this still keeps them as the leader in the Dwight Howard in 2013-2014 chase. With that "but," this was an excellent off-season for the Mavericks.

BUMP
07-17-2012, 09:05 AM

or

Obviously every Dallas fan wanted to keep the championship core and squeeze out as many titles as possible in the Dirk era.

Problem is that we would've most likely sucked for years after Dirk retired if we went this route. Personally, I wouldn't have minded but I have nothing to lose. When you put yourself in Cuban's shoes it's a much tougher decision businesswise. He can't just sit there and say "Let's try and win as many as possible and screw the future" when his job is on the line.

racm
07-17-2012, 09:28 AM
No he's not. Green is a better shooter and defender, what we need from our supporting cast. OJ has a better press agent that still has teams believing in that now almost unreachable ceiling. He's been in the league four years, and has regressed. He is what he is.

And to think this guy was drafted ahead of Westbrook and Love. At least Minny went with Love in the end.

clambake
07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
it was an asterisk title.

it won't be missed.

Findog
07-17-2012, 10:18 AM
FIFY. The west is fucking deep. Last year's Mavs were a 7 seed.

Get a fucking grip. The Mavs will have a full training camp and I'm sure Dirk will show up in shape and not in hangover mode. We're at least as good now as the Grizz, Clips and Nugs. Assuming relative health, Dallas will be in the playoffs, not the lottery, and has a ceiling of winning a series.

Venti Quattro
07-17-2012, 10:23 AM
http://scm-l3.technorati.com/11/02/20/27451/mark-cuban.jpg

Why are you annoyed with Cubes? He's one of the best owners in sports. I'd want to have guys like him who are committed and passionate about winning.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-17-2012, 10:28 AM
This reminds me of the Mavs of years past. Throw a lot of money around and try to get name players. Their title year they went away from that and got a team that was constructed to have role players and play defense. The thing is - this year's team is full of name players with question marks so it's probably more of a move to save face with the fans then expect to win. Cuban rolled the dice to get Deron and Howard. He probably should have kept Chandler, but he took a chance and it didn't work. This is making lemonade but it could have been much worse.

Findog
07-17-2012, 10:47 AM
This reminds me of the Mavs of years past. Throw a lot of money around and try to get name players. Their title year they went away from that and got a team that was constructed to have role players and play defense. The thing is - this year's team is full of name players with question marks so it's probably more of a move to save face with the fans then expect to win. Cuban rolled the dice to get Deron and Howard. He probably should have kept Chandler, but he took a chance and it didn't work. This is making lemonade but it could have been much worse.

How are they throwing a lot of money around? Most of these guys are on one-year deals so they can try and acquire a superstar player next summer (won't work out then either, but they have retained cap flexibility).

They got Chandler by accident - they were hoping to use Dampier's expiring contract to land a premier FA in summer of 2010, didn't work out, so they thought they would kick the can down the road and fill a roster need by getting Chandler's expiring deal. Only they accidentally got the "missing piece" and center the franchise had been missing for 30 years. Chandler was NOT the targeted acquisition that summer. They were hoping to land a S'n'T for Bosh or LeBron (pipe dream). That said, they absolutely should have resigned him.

BUMP
07-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Actually it's the complete opposite of what they did in the past

redskinfan
07-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Kaman is a shitty defender but Brand has always been solid on D.

Also BTW I'm not even so sure that Collison is better then an ancient Jason Kidd, tbh Collison's play with the Pacers was very sub par I mean this guy got benched in favor of George Hill! Also Kidd is still a solid defender, Collison isn't even an adequate defender.

Kidd> Collison

^ This!

Monostradamus
07-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Look, I’m sorry I lied about claiming the pictures at one site.

I posted those pictures three times last night at three different boards.

I gave credit to Slomo at two of those sites.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...threadid=75458

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=210506

And like I told Slomo, the reason I claimed them as mine was because that “N’Sync” message board has a “Other Pictures” section. That’s the only section I post in. I stumbled onto the site about 4 years ago when I was looking for Britney Spears pictures, when she was hot, and it’s a cool section of the message board if you like celebrity pictures, goofy pictures, etc.

But yeah, it’s an N’Sync message board. Why the fuck do you think I lied. It’s fucking embarrassing. You'll assume I like N'Sync. I don't. I've never been a fan. You can search that website up and down looking for a post by me talking about that shitting boy band. You won't find one. Ever.

But I’m done. I know 80% of you can’t stand me, hate me, etc. And hey, rightfully so. I’ve been an asshole in the past. But no one here can look at a mirror and clean themselves angels.

And to the 20% who are new and don’t know me.

Hi, I’m TheWriter, I used to known as Buddy Holly, WriterNum934, SpursWin, FastandtheFurious, and a crap bunch more.

You guys won. Seriously. I can’t take it anymore. I’ve been bashed to death and I’m still going to be bashed when I’m gone. I’m too much of a joke now. It’s not fun anymore.

A lot of you have been cool.

This is a Internet forum and none of you know who I am. Never seen me in real life. Don’t even know how I look. So why am I defeated?

Simple.

I have no self esteem. You guys don’t know why. And I really don’t care to explain my childhood. But it sucks.

Bash me all you want, call me whatever you want. Throw all the insults you want. I won’t be here to take them.

I’m a loser, I get it. I am. I pretend to be this smart guy who is this next big writer or city leader.

Hell, I’d be lucky to be any in life.

I’m leaving it all on the table for you guys. I know none of you give a shit. Most of you will find someway to make a joke. To tell me “fuck you.”

So then let me end this so you can begin.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-17-2012, 02:03 PM
This thread is hilarious

Vic Petro
07-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Why are you annoyed with Cubes? He's one of the best owners in sports. I'd want to have guys like him who are committed and passionate about winning.

Well, he's a loud mouth, a cry baby, and a smug prick. Other than that he's fine.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-17-2012, 02:06 PM
:lmao wow

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 02:14 PM
LMAO spur fan is buttmad as FUCK holy shit

Killakobe81
07-17-2012, 03:24 PM

or

This + 1,000

Supergirl
07-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Mavs are competing with the Celtics to be the old and washed up team.

Brutalis
07-17-2012, 05:29 PM
I bet mavfan is sold on being contenders again. Sad.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
LMAO spur fan is buttmad as FUCK holy shit

Buttmad? Hardly. The only one of those players I would have liked on the Spurs would have been Brand, and we can sign him away from you next year as Cuban tilts at more free agent windmills. :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Mavs have really screwed up since their championship. Letting Chandler go, and thus basically deciding not to defend their ring, was a major mistake, and this squad they've assembled after missing out on DWill and D12 will finish 7-10th in the West.

Still, their plan is clearly to make a big run at an FA next season - all the guys they've brought in have been expirings or 1yr contracts (except Mayo, 2yrs $8mil, 2nd year player option that could easily be bought out by Cuban, so effectively a 1yr contract if they want it to be), so they'll have plenty of capspace next summer.

:lol @Mavs fans who think these acquisitions are about anything other than next year's FA market.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Get a fucking grip. The Mavs will have a full training camp and I'm sure Dirk will show up in shape and not in hangover mode. We're at least as good now as the Grizz, Clips and Nugs. Assuming relative health, Dallas will be in the playoffs, not the lottery, and has a ceiling of winning a series.

:lol
http://subversatile.net/pics/denile.jpg

Hey, guess who else has a full training camp: The Grizz, Clips and Nuggs. You'd really better pray that Dirk is in beast mode, because that's the only prayer they have. I figure you guys would have learned your lesson from Mark Cuban picking up players like they're trading cards in the past. Just because the name is recognizable doesn't mean he's any good.

Findog
07-18-2012, 12:42 PM
:lol

Hey, guess who else has a full training camp: The Grizz, Clips and Nuggs. You'd really better pray that Dirk is in beast mode, because that's the only prayer they have. I figure you guys would have learned your lesson from Mark Cuban picking up players like they're trading cards in the past. Just because the name is recognizable doesn't mean he's any good.

Collison > Kidd
In shape, motivated and rested Dirk > Fat, happy, championship hungover Dirk
Kaman > Haywood
Brand > Butthurt can't even bother to try Odom

At worst Mayo is a tiny downgrade from Terry and considering he is a much better defender it's probably a wash.

The shit team they put out on the floor at the end of last season went down to the wire three times against OKC in their first-round series. They upgraded at four positions, will be better and in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2012, 04:40 PM
I thought about trolling you just for a laugh, but you took the time to respond, so you deserve better than that. We're probably going to disagree, but here's my thinking:

Collison > Kidd
One would hope. The worrying point is that Collison lost his job to George Hill. I can tell you from experience that George Hill <<<<< Kidd. The Mavs have historically leaned on Kidd to step up in the postseason. Collison scored three points a game in a backup role in Indiana in the playoffs. He's certainly got the talent to figure it out, but so does Beaubois, and that's nobody's running out to bet on him. Kidd was about to fall off the end of the world physically at any moment, so it may have been a blessing to lose him, and you couldn't have asked for more for Mahinmi. Thanks, Pop!

In shape, motivated and rested Dirk > Fat, happy, championship hungover Dirk
The difference in Dirk from last year to the year before (regular season) was one point per game, and it was mostly due to field goal percentage. Yes, if Dirk decides to go beast mode in the postseason like he did in 2011 they are instantly much better, but there's no Tyson Chandler anymore to couple with it, so getting there for him is half the battle. You don't want to have to ride him for 82 games just to qualify.

Kaman > Haywood
I'd go you one better and say Kaman > Haywood and Mahinmi, but that's only if Kaman can stay healthy. Those two gave you 40 minutes a night. Kaman won't survive that.

Brand > Butthurt can't even bother to try Odom
That's a given. You could realistically put Dirk, Brand and Kaman on the floor at the same time in certain situations. That deals with a lot of size against west teams.

At worst Mayo is a tiny downgrade from Terry and considering he is a much better defender it's probably a wash.
Much higher ceiling than Jet at this point, too. He's got the potential to be an elite scorer. I keep expecting him to suddenly figure it out. Still not too late.

The shit team they put out on the floor at the end of last season went down to the wire three times against OKC in their first-round series. They upgraded at four positions, will be better and in the playoffs.

You're taking an awful lot on faith that things will just fall into place. What you state above is best-case-scenario. Otherwise they'll be a "shit-team" again, which is what all Mavs teams that lose automatically become to the fans. Losing four in a row isn't close, and there's no moral victory to that. Again, speaking from experience. :lol

Considering the massive kick in the nuts this summer started out for you guys, you have to be elated just to have reason to be optimistic.

K-State Spur
07-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Don't disagree with most of your post - mavs definitely improved - but this is an oft repeated myth that keeps coming up.

Mayo picks CP3's pocket once or twice in the playoffs, and now the rest of the league thinks he's a good defender. Numbers don't back it. Eye test doesn't help much more.

Findog
07-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Don't disagree with most of your post - mavs definitely improved - but this is an oft repeated myth that keeps coming up.

Mayo picks CP3's pocket once or twice in the playoffs, and now the rest of the league thinks he's a good defender. Numbers don't back it. Eye test doesn't help much more.

But Terry is a lousy defender. Mayo really regressed on offense the last couple of years - two years ago he averaged 17 on 45 percent shooting. Last year it was down to 12 ppg on 40% shooting. Jet and Dirk in the p'n'r was our bread and butter on offense the last five minutes of a game. So offensively I have to give a substantial edge to Terry.

I do think Mayo has a chance to improve on offense getting better looks playing off Dirk. Terry shot very well in Dallas after being a low-volume chucker in Atlanta.

K-State Spur
07-19-2012, 02:27 PM
But Terry is a lousy defender. Mayo really regressed on offense the last couple of years - two years ago he averaged 17 on 45 percent shooting. Last year it was down to 12 ppg on 40% shooting. Jet and Dirk in the p'n'r was our bread and butter on offense the last five minutes of a game. So offensively I have to give a substantial edge to Terry.

I do think Mayo has a chance to improve on offense getting better looks playing off Dirk. Terry shot very well in Dallas after being a low-volume chucker in Atlanta.

That's true, Mayo's a better athlete at this stage, so there is reason to believe that he can improve defensively - especially under Carlisle.

I will say that Terry - despite being a hypocritical douchebag - did have a winner's desire and seemed like a good teammate. That would be against Mayo's MO for the most part, but if he truly did take less money to play in Dallas (the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is a Joe Smith situation), that might indicate a turn of course in his career.