PDA

View Full Version : Spurfan has hit a new low

TheRealCB
07-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Its believed that the deal is for 3 yrs at 4mil per or around that area, because thats the cap room the mavs had left.

Now i ask you, if numbers are true, signing mayo to a contract like that isnt better than the very similiar contract we gave green? Mayo is the much better and complete player.

First off, both are about the same. Second, we had Green's bird rights. That's why the Spurs were able to offer him that contract. Spurs aren't under the cap.

Mayo and Danny Gr:lol:loln are about the same :lmao

rayjayjohnson
07-17-2012, 03:31 AM
:lol retarded spurfan

NASpurs
07-17-2012, 03:59 AM
You're quoting a dude who copied Slomo's pics, posted them in an 'N Sync messageboard and claimed them as his own until he got caught. He was known as TheWriter back then

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15263

scanry
07-17-2012, 05:15 AM
You're quoting a dude who copied Slomo's pics, posted them in an 'N Sync messageboard and claimed them as his own until he got caught. He was known as TheWriter back then

Nostalgia. Those were the times for Spurs fans. So Buddy Holly is still around? Has he even apologized to Slomo? :lol

TheRealCB
07-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Wow,he's stayed on the forums for seven years after being called out like that?

That takes balls son:toast

pad300
07-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Comparing DG and Mayo

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids[]=389&player_ids[]=153

TheRealCB
07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Comparing DG and Mayo

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids[]=389&player_ids[]=153

:lolcan't post a link

TimDunkem
07-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Buddy Holly is one of the biggest douches on this forum. No surprises here.

pad300
07-17-2012, 11:04 AM
:lolcan't post a link

FIFY. I gotta admit, I thought you were smarter than your average 8 year old, and could manage. But hey, I don't mind helping the mentally handicapped when it's not too much trouble...

TheRealCB
07-17-2012, 11:14 AM
FIFY. I gotta admit, I thought you were smarter than your average 8 year old, and could manage. But hey, I don't mind helping the mentally handicapped when it's not too much trouble...
:lolactually trying to argue that Danny Green= Mayo

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Comparing DG and Mayo

Wow, that's not an extremely retarded way to compare players.

Danny Green has more win shares per 48 minutes!

Mel_13
07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Take it fwiw, but when comparing SGs, it's reasonable to look at shooting stats.

Last season, Green was better in terms of:

FG%
3pt%
FT%
TS%
eFG%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=greenda02&y1=2012&p2=mayooj01&y2=2012

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Green predominantly takes spot up jumpers created by someone else when his defender doubles off of him. Mayo is actually a threat to score off the dribble and most of his minutes came with Memphis's shit bench players on the court with him where he was never gonna get doubled off. Simply using stats to compare the two players doesn't make any sense.

Mel_13
07-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Simply using stats to compare the two players doesn't make any sense.

Of course not, but neither does simply relying on reputation or the eye test.

I'm not making the case that Green is better than Mayo, but the gulf between them is much less than what one expects when comparing a #3 pick to a #46 pick.

TheRealCB
07-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Of course not, but neither does simply relying on reputation or the eye test.

I'm not making the case that Green is better than Mayo, but the gulf between them is much less than what one expects when comparing a #3 pick to a #46 pick.
Yes what you say is right,but that doesn't make them practically the same player..

Imagine Danny Green being the 6th man of a team.
And now imagine OJ Mayo as the Spurs' 3th option..Would we even have this conversation?

Mel_13
07-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes what you say is right,but that doesn't make them practically the same player..

Didn't say that they were.

TheRealCB
07-17-2012, 11:37 AM
An idiot did and you actually tried to support it.

Mel_13
07-17-2012, 11:37 AM
One other thing. If Mayo starts for Dallas, his role will more closely approximate Green's role on the Spurs than his role with Memphis.

Mel_13
07-17-2012, 11:39 AM
And idiot did and you actually tried to support it.

:sleep

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-17-2012, 11:44 AM
One other thing. If Mayo starts for Dallas, his role will more closely approximate Green's role on the Spurs than his role with Memphis.
I don't think it would resemble either Green's role or Mayo's role in Memphis. He'd have the ball in his hands a lot more than Green does (what other Dallas perimeter player is gonna have it?) but he's also gonna be on the court with better players than he had in Memphis, including one of the best pick and roll PFs in the game. Lionel Hollins misused him and fucked up what Mayo looked like he could become after his first two years.

jag
07-17-2012, 11:46 AM

Wow. What a massive homo. I always knew he was a faggot, but I didn't know the extent of it.

Mel_13
07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't think it would resemble either Green's role or Mayo's role in Memphis. He'd have the ball in his hands a lot more than Green does (what other Dallas perimeter player is gonna have it?) but he's also gonna be on the court with better players than he had in Memphis, including one of the best pick and roll PFs in the game. Lionel Hollins misused him and fucked up what Mayo looked like he could become after his first two years.

I said more closely approximate.

As to rest of what you said, I believe you've hit on a very possible reason that Mayo chose Dallas over Phoenix. He wants to be a PG, and he has a much better chance of dominating the ball while sharing the court with Collison than he would with Dragic.

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 12:43 PM
:lolBuddy Holly
:lolthinking San Antonio is getting an NFL team

Muser
07-17-2012, 12:50 PM
It's pretty much accepted even by spurs fans that he's a faggot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Son, once you take into account the class factor, you'll see the two players are much closer in terms of overall capabilities than people let on.

ElNono
07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
ShogarBear posts that, and all you lil nigs are banned right now... :cry

sehui
07-17-2012, 12:57 PM
mayo is obviously more talented than green.

However I doubt Mayo would want to come to SA, acting as yet again the 6thman /backup SG for Manu.

In Dallas he locks the starting position, gets more minutes, plus I'm sure hed choose Dallas over SA anyways.

Monostradamus
07-17-2012, 12:58 PM
lol buddy holly

Look, I’m sorry I lied about claiming the pictures at one site.

I posted those pictures three times last night at three different boards.

I gave credit to Slomo at two of those sites.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...threadid=75458

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=210506

And like I told Slomo, the reason I claimed them as mine was because that “N’Sync” message board has a “Other Pictures” section. That’s the only section I post in. I stumbled onto the site about 4 years ago when I was looking for Britney Spears pictures, when she was hot, and it’s a cool section of the message board if you like celebrity pictures, goofy pictures, etc.

But yeah, it’s an N’Sync message board. Why the fuck do you think I lied. It’s fucking embarrassing. You'll assume I like N'Sync. I don't. I've never been a fan. You can search that website up and down looking for a post by me talking about that shitting boy band. You won't find one. Ever.

But I’m done. I know 80% of you can’t stand me, hate me, etc. And hey, rightfully so. I’ve been an asshole in the past. But no one here can look at a mirror and clean themselves angels.

And to the 20% who are new and don’t know me.

Hi, I’m TheWriter, I used to known as Buddy Holly, WriterNum934, SpursWin, FastandtheFurious, and a crap bunch more.

You guys won. Seriously. I can’t take it anymore. I’ve been bashed to death and I’m still going to be bashed when I’m gone. I’m too much of a joke now. It’s not fun anymore.

A lot of you have been cool.

This is a Internet forum and none of you know who I am. Never seen me in real life. Don’t even know how I look. So why am I defeated?

Simple.

I have no self esteem. You guys don’t know why. And I really don’t care to explain my childhood. But it sucks.

Bash me all you want, call me whatever you want. Throw all the insults you want. I won’t be here to take them.

I’m a loser, I get it. I am. I pretend to be this smart guy who is this next big writer or city leader.

Hell, I’d be lucky to be any in life.

I’m leaving it all on the table for you guys. I know none of you give a shit. Most of you will find someway to make a joke. To tell me “fuck you.”

So then let me end this so you can begin.

ElNono
07-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah, but can OJ Mayo dance with Lebron like this?

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/LeBrondance.gif

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2012, 01:00 PM
lol buddy holly

:lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Tbh, Mayo doesn't bring these goods as well as Danny.

timtonymanu
07-17-2012, 01:07 PM
:lol so far we have

Splitter > Varejao
Diaw > Lee
Green > Mayo

What's next? Leonard > Iguodala?

djohn2oo8
07-17-2012, 01:13 PM
:lol so far we have

Splitter > Varejao
Diaw > Lee
Green > Mayo

What's next? Leonard > Iguodala?
Don't forget the poster who said he'd rather have Richard Jefferson than Carmelo Anthony.

jag
07-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Son, once you take into account the class factor, you'll see the two players are much closer in terms of overall capabilities than people let on.

:lol

I think Danny Green's success is largely a product of Pop's system. It allows guys like Green, Neal and Kawhi to shoot with confidence. The players are given very specific, defined and sometimes limited roles. It allows the players to focus all their energy and attention on those details their roles. Kawhi and Neal would still do well outside of Pop's system, but I think Green would be lost.

OJ Mayo has far more talent than Green and (in theory) doesn't need the coddling, attention and a defined role to succeed. The problem with Mayo, though, is that he never matured. His skills and abilities increased, but he doesn't seem to have psychologically developed past his high school years.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 01:19 PM
:lol at people getting up in arms over Mayo and Green. I would rather have Green. Better role player, much better defender, very good shooter...doesn't mean he's as naturally gifted as Juice but I certainly don't think it's some wild assessment.

You can argue systems and being mis-used...but at the end of the day OJ has way under performed and to date was way over hyped. Still has upside for sure, but right now I like Greens all around game and fit for winning basketball over OJ.

It's the JR Smith argument.

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 01:22 PM
If Mayo played for the spurs he'd be considered the next Jordan on this board. Nuff said.

LMAO comparing OJ to JR Smith

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Ya - JR Smith has actually been better.

Bill_Brasky
07-17-2012, 01:26 PM
:corn:

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Ya - JR Smith has actually been better.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Holy shit DPG went full retard in this thread. You don't see that very often, tbqmfh

Clipper Nation
07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
OJ Mayo ain't that good but he's certainly better than Danny mf'n Green, tbh....

Clipper Nation
07-17-2012, 02:15 PM

That is one very :cryclassy:cry dance, tbh...

Venti Quattro
07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Wasn't that the dance that made Joakim Noah so asshurt?

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Holy shit DPG went full retard in this thread. You don't see that very often, tbqmfh

How so?

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Saying you'd rather have Danny Green than OJ Mayo. That's just stupid.

It's something you'd expect from scottspurs.

Arnold Rothstein
07-17-2012, 02:26 PM
:lol at people getting up in arms over Mayo and Green. I would rather have Green. Better role player, much better defender, very good shooter...doesn't mean he's as naturally gifted as Juice but I certainly don't think it's some wild assessment.

You can argue systems and being mis-used...but at the end of the day OJ has way under performed and to date was way over hyped. Still has upside for sure, but right now I like Greens all around game and fit for winning basketball over OJ.

It's the JR Smith argument.

DPG gettin his GNSF on.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 02:28 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Cool argument. Don't know why you're laughing when pretty much every major advanced stat has JR & OJ as similar players with JR leading most categories (PER, win shares, true FG %...).

OJ to date has proven to be nothing more than an inefficient chucker with little defensive abilities. The point was to say it was the "JR Smith argument" I.e. talent v impact.

At being an inefficient chucker, the numbers show JR has done it slightly better.

jag
07-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Even with Mayo's immaturity he's better than Green. Especially if he were given Green's role.

dirk4mvp
07-17-2012, 02:29 PM
hi dpg i look forward to reading your excellent bball takes itt.

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Cool argument.

Oh I'm not going to argue with you on that one at all. I'd rather just laugh. Laughing is good and therapeutic :toast

jag
07-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Cool argument. Don't know why you're laughing when pretty much every major advanced stat has JR & OJ as similar players with JR leading most categories (PER, win shares, true FG %...).

OJ to date has proven to be nothing more than an inefficient chucker with little defensive abilities. The point was to say it was the "JR Smith argument" I.e. talent v impact.

I think you're underestimating Mayo as a defender. The Spurs don't have a single player at could D-up Chris Paul the way Mayo was for stretches of that series.

It's all about attitude with Mayo. If he has a good attitude and is motivated, he's an all-star caliber player. But even with a bad attitude he's better than Green.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Saying you'd rather have Danny Green than OJ Mayo. That's just stupid.

It's something you'd expect from scottspurs.

In this role? :lol I don't see how that's stupid. I said OJ is more talented with a higher ceiling. Danny though, due to his superior defense I would rather have in this role.

Even with Mayo's immaturity he's better than Green. Especially if he were given Green's role.

Disagree. He's no where near the defender Green is (and Green isn't elite there) and OJ hasn't shown ability to be a consistent shooter. His role has been different but he's had opp with Mem in the spot up role and faltered.

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
:lolhis superior defense. Vastly overrated defender who Spurfans had turned on prior to the winning streak (b/c of his defense). Then he draws the great Gordon Heyward and Randy Foye for defensive assignments and suddenly he's a superior defender.:lmao

So superior that his ass became a liability in the OKC series and he got benched (w/ limited PT off the pine to boot).

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
I think you're underestimating Mayo as a defender. The Spurs don't have a single player at could D-up Chris Paul the way Mayo was for stretches of that series.

It's all about attitude with Mayo. If he has a good attitude and is motivated, he's an all-star caliber player. But even with a bad attitude he's better than Green.

Sounds like jr smith

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Danny Green is an average defender who hasn't defended anyone.

jag
07-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Sounds like jr smith

Sounds better than Danny Green. And I like Danny Green.

Arnold Rothstein
07-17-2012, 02:51 PM
According to spurfan every player on their team is some kind of defensive wizard with a MENSA level basketball IQ except for Bonner.

Venti Quattro
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
It's always Bonner's fault.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-17-2012, 02:55 PM
According to spurfan every player on their team is some kind of defensive wizard with a MENSA level basketball IQ except for Bonner.
rofl true. Also, when comparing a Spurs player and a non-Spurs player, the non-Spurs player is always portrayed as the biggest defensive liability in the history team sports.

TheRealCB
07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Tbh JR has some moments that he is the shit. Dude could've been the next coming if he had average brains and work ethic imo.

DisAsTerBot
07-17-2012, 02:59 PM
lol homers on the home teams board!!!! it's sooooo crazy!!!!

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 03:04 PM

So being on your home team's board excuses you from spewing retarded opinions?

Great take, champ:tu

DisAsTerBot
07-17-2012, 03:06 PM
So being on your home team's board excuses you from spewing retarded opinions?

Great take, champ:tu

:rollin

yes, that's exactly what i said. Good comprehension, Mexicali. I know you've been to lakersground, clutchfans, and the like. Don't be an idiot

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 03:10 PM

yes, that's exactly what i said. Good comprehension, Mexicali. I know you've been to lakersground, clutchfans, and the like. Don't be an idiot
Then what were you implying, when defending Spur homers who tarded up this thread (and who are the subject of it too)?:

???

Blake

I'm not sure anyone comprehended what you said

TheRealCB
It's ok being stupid on my team's board :cry

weebo
07-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Mayo really shit the bed in this year's playoffs just like DG.

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 03:11 PM

and no, I don't post or lurk at either of those sites...nor am I be@ner

:lolTough day for you

DisAsTerBot
07-17-2012, 03:12 PM
lol, it happens all the time. Lets make more threads about it!

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 03:14 PM

whenever previous stupidity records are shattered, there will be threads

spur fan being butthurt about mavs acquisitions is always funny stuff

Arnold Rothstein
07-17-2012, 03:15 PM

If that wasn't what you were insinuating, then what was exactly? All I see is someone flailing around because :crysomeone was being a meany to spurs fans:cry.

ElNono
07-17-2012, 03:15 PM
It's ok being stupid on my team's board :cry

Could be worse... you could be greek...

:lol greece
:lol bankrupt
:lol subsidized pedos
:lol sandusky's paradise
:lol goats

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I think you vastly overrate OJs defense. I also think people overrate OJ and what he's done to date. I don't think there is any thing laughable about saying OJ is the more naturally gifted player but that I'd rather have Danny for this system.

Danny did a fine job on CP3 and defends at a much higher level on a day to day basis. I guess I don't see why everyone is hyping up OJ like he's done anything. I also dont see the issue in talking about system players and comparing him to Green in this role (at least IMO it's not laughable) especially when I prefaced it by saying OJ is the more naturally gifted player with the higher ceiling.

I mean, if OJ was so good why is he making less than Novak and Danny Green and why were teams not lining up at his door?

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 03:17 PM

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 03:18 PM
:lolhis superior defense. Vastly overrated defender who Spurfans had turned on prior to the winning streak (b/c of his defense). Then he draws the great Gordon Heyward and Randy Foye for defensive assignments and suddenly he's a superior defender.:lmao

So superior that his ass became a liability in the OKC series and he got benched (w/ limited PT off the pine to boot).

He's a superior defender to OJ Mayo.

DisAsTerBot
07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
If that wasn't what you were insinuating, then what was exactly? All I see is someone flailing around because :crysomeone was being a meany to spurs fans:cry.

the point was, it happens all the time on all the home team boards. Crazy, i know. Not defending it, just no point in "this teams fans are stupid, check out this comment"......could of come from any board about any team

Grey Spurfan
07-17-2012, 03:20 PM

YEAH! You guys are soooo dumb for talking about how dumb we are because we are dumb all the time DUH!

TubThumper
07-17-2012, 03:22 PM
the point was, it happens all the time on all the home team boards. Crazy, i know. Not defending it, just no point in "this teams fans are stupid, check out this comment"......could of come from any board about any team
If it happens all the time then why are you posting in this thread about it?

DisAsTerBot
07-17-2012, 03:23 PM
YEAH! You guys are soooo dumb for talking about how dumb we are because we are dumb all the time DUH!

ha, i didn't say "we". But yeah pretty much. It's like making fun of a retarded person, of course they have uninformed opinions. In the end you're the one who looks stupid.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 03:23 PM
whenever previous stupidity records are shattered, there will be threads

spur fan being butthurt about mavs acquisitions is always funny stuff

:lmao that's rich. Spur fan is mad that yall blew up a title team and whiffed on the master plan.

If anyone is mad at Dallas's moves its you - hence melting down at The Whiff and saying trade Dirk :lol

While Deepy told you to hold tight and explained the options.

Please explain with facts what OJ Mayo has done and who he compares to in the league that makes the 4M dollar man who was barely courted so awesome to date.

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Um I still say trade Dirk if Bynum is on the table.

What points are you exactly trying to make? You didn't tell me shit. And yes Spur fan is wrong bout det Mayo :smokin

TubThumper
07-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Please explain with facts what OJ Mayo has done and who he compares to in the league that makes the 4M dollar man who was barely courted so awesome to date.
Please explain with facts why Danny Green is a superior defender to OJ Mayo.

Be specific.

Arnold Rothstein
07-17-2012, 03:27 PM
:lol Spurfan being predictable as per usual. I said this 3 days ago...

Why does spur fan always do this when answering these questions? They immediately start talking about who is a better fit in Pop's system, who has more "upside", how much they get paid or how classy they are. The question is WHO IS BETTER you stupid fucking wetbacks.

OJ is the more naturally gifted player but that I'd rather have Danny for this system.

Danny did a fine job on CP3 and defends at a much higher level on a day to day basis. I guess I don't see why everyone is hyping up OJ like he's done anything. I also dont see the issue in talking about system players and comparing him to Green in this role (at least IMO it's not laughable) especially when I prefaced it by saying OJ is the more naturally gifted player with the higher ceiling.

I mean, if OJ was so good why is he making less than Novak and Danny Green and why were teams not lining up at his door?

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Arnold Rothstein, layin' the Hebrew Hammer to n!ggas, per par

weebo
07-17-2012, 03:34 PM
DG fits well with what the Spurs ask him to do. Play good D and take open jumpers. A solid role player, nothing more nothing less.

Mayo, on the other hand, has vastly under achieved considering he is the more gifted athlete.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Please explain with facts why Danny Green is a superior defender to OJ Mayo.

Be specific.

Will do. As soon as my question is answered. I will also show with facts my JR Smith to OJ comparison as an additional bonus to show that they have been comparable players with JR getting the nod on most of the advanced stats.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Take it fwiw, but when comparing SGs, it's reasonable to look at shooting stats.

Last season, Green was better in terms of:

FG%
3pt%
FT%
TS%
eFG%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=greenda02&y1=2012&p2=mayooj01&y2=2012

:lol Spurfan being predictable as per usual. I said this 3 days ago...

Rofl - apparently its not just Spurs fans that use "Roles" in these arguments.

TubThumper
07-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Will do. As soon as my question is answered. .
Why do you need m>s to answer a question before you answer mine?

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-17-2012, 04:24 PM
I've always liked O.J Mayo's game, tenacious defense.
He is definitely better individually than DG, & the Mavs really
did well to pick him up, but he's no savior, neither are the ebony & ivory
towers the Mavs just picked up.

Dirk, Mayo, Brand, & Kaman isn't a superfriend's team.
It's a legitimate concern. As a Spurs fan, I don't want to see
a rival team contend for the 8th seed, because I actually like the
competitive spirit between the two teams.

James David Manning
07-17-2012, 04:26 PM
lol Roger Freemason Jr.
lol 5'11" 230
lol fat

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Why do you need m>s to answer a question before you answer mine?

Because you're likely the same person and you just reworded my question :lol

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-17-2012, 04:29 PM
:D

I love that tired old insult. It's funny because
that insult is supposed to somehow dispel anything I say.

but you clowns know it seeps right into your easily
penetrable skulls.

Bill_Brasky
07-17-2012, 04:30 PM
lol acting like saying Green > Mayo is the same as saying Brook Lopez > Dwight

TheRealCB
07-17-2012, 04:33 PM

It's like saying Diaw>Lee tbh.

TubThumper
07-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Because you're likely the same person and you just reworded my question :lol
What makes you think we're the same person?

Bill_Brasky
07-17-2012, 04:34 PM
It's like saying Diaw>Lee tbh.

Nope. Green isn't a lazy fatass.

Lincoln
07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
:D

I love that tired old insult. It's funny because
that insult is supposed to somehow dispel anything I say.

but you clowns know it seeps right into your easily
penetrable skulls.

Lol hope you don't have kids anytime soon, it'd be a shame for them to have their father die at 50 because of cardiac arrest from being too fuckin fat.

:lol obese at the young age of 21

TheRealCB
07-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Nope. Green isn't a lazy fatass.

But Diaw passes and defends so well :toast

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Wow

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Lol hope you don't have kids anytime soon, it'd be a shame for them to have their father die at 50 because of cardiac arrest from being too fuckin fat.

:lol obese at the young age of 21

look at the shark coming because he thinks he smells blood.

50? Hey, that's a good age to go.

Lincoln
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Trying to hide the fact you're obese as fuck by using weight/height ratios of professional fighters :lmao

'They're 5'11 220 and not obese therefor neither am!'

pass1st
07-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Every franchise has retards, Lakers, Spurs, Knicks, T-Wolves, etc

Grey Spurfan
07-17-2012, 04:54 PM
look at the shark coming because he thinks he smells blood.

50? Hey, that's a good age to go.

Live fast and die young. All the burritos and chimichangas I want! Thats livin imo.

HarlemHeat37
07-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't want either player, tbh..

Danny Green is the most overrated player on ST..he's a slightly above average defender that feasted against weak competition, in addition to an injured Chris Paul..he has minimal ability to create his own offense, over 75% of his shot attempts are assisted, mostly open shots, and he choked under the first sign of pressure..he's a system player that fluctuated in accordance to the successful Spurs regular season system..

Mayo is a poor defensive player, he's probably the worst defensive player on the Grizzlies, even worse than Gay, tbh..he has been one of the worst perimeter defenders in the NBA since entering the league, tbh..his defensive RAPM is usually at -2 or worse, which is an atrocious number..

He's inefficient and his shot selection is poor..he still has potential, but it doesn't appear that he's going to reach his peak..

I still like the signing for Dallas, but there have been much worse takes from Spurs fans than the OP..

Lincoln
07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Sup harlem

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't want either player, tbh..

Danny Green is the most overrated player on ST..he's a slightly above average defender that feasted against weak competition, in addition to an injured Chris Paul..he has minimal ability to create his own offense, over 75% of his shot attempts are assisted, mostly open shots, and he choked under the first sign of pressure..he's a system player that fluctuated in accordance to the successful Spurs regular season system..

Mayo is a poor defensive player, he's probably the worst defensive player on the Grizzlies, even worse than Gay, tbh..he has been one of the worst perimeter defenders in the NBA since entering the league, tbh..his defensive RAPM is usually at -2 or worse, which is an atrocious number..

He's inefficient and his shot selection is poor..he still has potential, but it doesn't appear that he's going to reach his peak..

I still like the signing for Dallas, but there have been much worse takes from Spurs fans than the OP..

Exactly. Acting like Green v Mayo is some Kobe v Bonner argument is silly. I also love how we've learned that if you are arguing players, you can't use roles, advanced stats or actual stats :lol. It's basically name recognition and eyeball tests FTW.

They are both lower end role players at this point which is why I thought it was hilarious that non-Spur fan was up in arms about the comparison. When you delve into it, OJ hasn't done anything of note, is statistically proven to be one of the worst defenders in the league at his position and for a shooter he can't really shoot. It's not laughable to say you'd rather have Green than Mayo especially if you bring systems into the equation.

If you want upside (even though he's been in the league for over 4 years now) and a guy who can chuck it on his own without getting assisted for a bargain bin price, you go OJ. If you are looking for a more well rounded system player who has defensive abilities for a good price, you go DG.

It is hilarious how Mav fan can talk about Spur fan overrating their guy when they fail to see OJ has woefully underperformed (especially when you factor in his draft spot and who he was traded for *Love*) and been cut from his team essentially and then offered less money than Danny Green, Novak, Ian Mahinmi and many others. OJ has potential, but he has not done any thing of note and appears on a bad path and is not thought that highly of by anyone in the league it seems (including the team that looked at him everyday for 4 years).

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Exactly. Acting like Green v Mayo is some Kobe v Bonner argument is silly. I also love how we've learned that if you are arguing players, you can't use roles, advanced stats or actual stats :lol. It's basically name recognition and eyeball tests FTW.

use mayo's first 2 years in the league for comparison since he was disgruntled and misused the last 2. then factor in the potential and act like fact that mayo is coming even slightly cheaper and tell me that the signings are anywhere near equal with a straight face.

pass1st
07-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Mavs stealing from out farm team :depressed

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 05:23 PM
use mayo's first 2 years in the league for comparison since he was disgruntled and misused the last 2. then factor in the potential and act like fact that mayo is coming even slightly cheaper and tell me that the signings are anywhere near equal with a straight face.

:lmao. Awesome eyeball test, but not stats, advanced stats, roles or market value goods.

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 05:26 PM
:lmao. Awesome eyeball test, but not stats, advanced stats, roles or market value goods.

are you some sort of idiot? i said compare the stats from his first 2 seasons which are the more accurate representation of what he is capable of.

Jodelo
07-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Is it just me or is DPG an idiot?

Arnold Rothstein
07-17-2012, 05:30 PM
This thread just shows you that there isn't much difference between gnsf and :cryknowledgeable:cry spurfan.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Hey! Throw out half his career because he was bad and then we'll talk!

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 05:36 PM
No one is saying OJ sucks or that it is a bad signing. What people are saying that Mav fan is ignoring reality (was dropped by his team, has underperformed, is a chucker and his market value was less than a lot of average guys) and saying things like "Ignore half his career because he was sad :cry".

The entire point was to say that Mav fan can't point to show why it's so crazy to say you would rather have DG in some systems over OJ. I am not even arguing that it's a huge gap in favor of DG, just saying he's my preference for the Spurs. My entire position is that it's not a laughable position especially because OJ has not really done anything special (besides some nice flashes).

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 05:46 PM

If that is true - why did Memphis, the team that saw him the closest, just cut ties? Why did no one line up to get him on their team? Why was he forced to sign with the M:lolvs? Why is he making less guaranteed money than Green, Novak, Lin, Dragic, Mahinmi, Jamal Crawford and pretty much every free agent with talent/upside?

Sure, if you look at only the players best moments and disregard his worst (especially when that is 50% of their career that has been on a downward trajectory) they will look more promising but it doesn't answer the questions above.

Again, you are getting so caught up in scoffing Spurs fans with doing no research and relying solely on faulty thinking, no stats and just an eyeball test/name recognition.

OJ was a good pick up for the Mavs. Danny is good for the Spurs. Saying you would rather have Danny over OJ on the Spurs isn't laughable. It would not be laughable to want OJ. Based on how they have played recently its a valid argument IMO. OJ definitely has more natural ability and I have said that since post 1. But that doesn't mean he automatically is heads and shoulders above Danny.

OJ may blossom and be the player yall act like he is (but really isn't yet). Then we will know. But if not, there will be more excuses and it is exactly the JR Smith line of thought when arguing about him.

weebo
07-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Given their draft slots, Mayo has under achieved while DG has over achieved. If you were dishing out 4 million for a roster spot who would you sign?

They are both marginal players on teams that have better players, but one has proven to fit a system better than the other.

If you're looking for a system guy that will appreciate his role you go with Danny Green. If you're looking for a guy who will play hard and try to spark your team you go with Mayo.

Neither is the hero or goat. Neither is worth more or less than what they are getting.

They are both just role players who's roles are different because of their particular skill set.

DG fits well in SA and Mayo might fit well on the Mavs.

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 05:50 PM
You're going way out of your way to convince me of something that you're never going to convince me of :lol

The "eyeball test" as you put it allowed me to be right about them spurs and heat as well as just about every other playoff series this year. I do use stats but I don't feel that this one is quantifiable. OJ has been misused and was disgruntled these past 2 years IMO, and that speaks nothing as to his true potential. We all already know what Danny Green's potential is. Comparing a Spot up shooter to a guy who has the ability to create his own shot and make plays is flawed. Also, Mayo probably isn't truly worth only 4 mil. The consensus here was that he was worth about 8-9 mil. The FO did good on this one.

Bill_Brasky
07-17-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm surprised Spurfan isn't defending Mayo more seeing as how he helped the Grizz defeat the :cry best team in the west :cry in 2011

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 05:53 PM
How bout we just end this really simply, let's make a permanent ELE bet on who will have the better season coming up. I'm just undecided on how we will determine who had the better year without you trying to flip flop out of it.

Lincoln
07-17-2012, 05:54 PM
They like to change their stances on subjects to fit their argument needs tbh

ElNono
07-17-2012, 05:54 PM
There's some truth to him being unhappy in MEM... IIRC, he got his ass kicked by Tony Allen after losing a bet, which ended up in a suspension or some shit like that...

But at the same time, he was an integral part of a MEM team that made the playoffs the last two seasons, including considerable long times with Rudy or Zach hurt.

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
I know what we can do, I will go to a neutral board at years end like Real GM where there isn't rampant trolling and create a poll. There people will give their honest votes and analyzation. Whoever is losing the poll after 1 week is gone for good. You in?

tesseractive
07-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm surprised Spurfan isn't defending Mayo more seeing as how he helped the Grizz defeat the :cry best team in the west :cry in 2011
I think the prevailing excuse for that is now Manu's injury.

So the Grizz didn't do anything special, I guess, because it doesn't count when you beat a team when one of their best players is injured (even though he was injured for like 4 years in a row).

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 05:57 PM
You're going way out of your way to convince me of something that you're never going to convince me of :lol

The "eyeball test" as you put it allowed me to be right about them spurs and heat as well as just about every other playoff series this year. I do use stats but I don't feel that this one is quantifiable. OJ has been misused and was disgruntled these past 2 years IMO, and that speaks nothing as to his true potential. We all already know what Danny Green's potential is. Comparing a Spot up shooter to a guy who has the ability to create his own shot and make plays is flawed. Also, Mayo probably isn't truly worth only 4 mil. The consensus here was that he was worth about 8-9 mil. The FO did good on this one.

:lmao I was right about the Heat (I bet actual money) and you were wrong about the Spurs (you said the could in no way shape or form make the WCF and they did).

How do we know what Danny's potential is but not OJ's when Danny is the same age and been in the league less time? That makes absolutely no sense and it agains shows you just using name recognition. You didn't watch Danny Green with any sort of regularity. You don't dig deep to go look past the obvious.

You are also looking at one side of the ball. It's statistical fact that OJ is a very below average defender and Danny is at least above average. While that doesn't make Danny elite on that end, it certainly has him above OJ by a decent margin (even if you think DG's defense is overrated).

Also, DG, while not as talented overall as OJ is far from "just a spot up shooter". He actually has a very solid handle and is a pretty damn good passer off the dribble. He's not an elite finisher off the dribble, but he's not Matt Bonner level of "just a spot up shooter".

If OJ was worth 8-9M, he would have signed a contract worth that much. It makes no sense to take less years/money to play for the Mavs. The fact he was not highly sought after by teams should tell you something. Not saying the Mavs didn't do a good job at getting him, but he wasn't coveted highly at all.

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
:lmao I was right about the Heat (I bet actual money) and you were wrong about the Spurs (you said the could in no way shape or form make the WCF and they did).

Wrong and you know it, not even worth further acknowledging or debating.

Either you take the bet or you don't, that's all I'm interested in.

Kidd K
07-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Can't really say Mayo would be a huge upgrade over Green the way the current Spurs' team is constructed. Most of Mayo's positives are in areas the Spurs are already stacked in. Spurs need defense, so technically going from Green to Mayo wouldn't be a big plus due to the defensive downgrade. Might not even be a plus at all. Mayo's basically Neal with worse shooting and better handles. I don't think the Spuirs need a second Neal. Green is fine.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
How bout we just end this really simply, let's make a permanent ELE bet on who will have the better season coming up. I'm just undecided on how we will determine who had the better year without you trying to flip flop out of it.

:rolleyes Because if anyone has welshed their way out of betting/bets its been me, not you.

You have been wrong so much, then just point out the times I am when I have won more actual bets on here than I have lost (not that it matters).

I try and have discussions with you but you say things like "advanced stats, market value and their bad years don't matter" so it's hard to really talk.

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
I've never welshed on a bet to date, and I'm not interested in talking to you I want to make a bet.

Do you accept yes or no?

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:02 PM

So you are saying you didn't say the Spurs were not a contender and couldn't make it to the WCF?

If you did say that, are you willing to leave the site forever?

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:02 PM

You were also wrong about the Chandler trade (I was right) and you said the Mavs weren't contenders the year they won it (you quit on the team).

weebo
07-17-2012, 06:03 PM

How are you so sure what DG true potential is? He just came off playing his first full season in the NBA.

And what does being disgruntled have to do with performance on the court if he is as great as you think he is?

Truth is, in Memphis Mayo lost his starting gig to Tony Allen because Allen provided as much O and better D than Mayo.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:04 PM
I've never welshed on a bet to date, and I'm not interested in talking to you I want to make a bet.

Do you accept yes or no?

No because you proposed bet is silly - especially the method you are using. You are also moving the goalposts on the agrument. I never said OJ can't have a better year than DG. I said it's not laughable when you factor in stats, %'s & defense to say you would rather have DG than OJ.

mavs>spurs
So you are saying you didn't say the Spurs were not a contender and couldn't make it to the WCF?

If you did say that, are you willing to leave the site forever?

I said that the spurs were in a mix of darkhorses with several other teams not named the heat.

The real bet here to be made, in this thread about OJ mayo, is the OJ mayo/danny green bet I proposed. Why are you furiously trying to move the goalposts and change the topic? Do you accept my bet or no? Thats the ONLY thing I'm interested in further discussing with you.

mavs>spurs
No because you proposed bet is silly - especially the method you are using. You are also moving the goalposts on the agrument. I never said OJ can't have a better year than DG. I said it's not laughable when you factor in stats, %'s & defense to say you would rather have DG than OJ.

Exactly, you won't take the bet because you know good and well who the better player is and should really shut the fuck up.

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 06:05 PM
My negro D, what you said was just dumb...own it and move on, brotha. We all say stupid shit on here, but you gotta own it.:lol

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:07 PM
How do we know what Danny's potential is but not OJ's when Danny is the same age and been in the league less time? That makes absolutely no sense and it agains shows you just using name recognition. You didn't watch Danny Green with any sort of regularity. You don't dig deep to go look past the obvious.

You are also looking at one side of the ball. It's statistical fact that OJ is a very below average defender and Danny is at least above average. While that doesn't make Danny elite on that end, it certainly has him above OJ by a decent margin (even if you think DG's defense is overrated).

Also, DG, while not as talented overall as OJ is far from "just a spot up shooter". He actually has a very solid handle and is a pretty damn good passer off the dribble. He's not an elite finisher off the dribble, but he's not Matt Bonner level of "just a spot up shooter".

If OJ was worth 8-9M, he would have signed a contract worth that much. It makes no sense to take less years/money to play for the Mavs. The fact he was not highly sought after by teams should tell you something. Not saying the Mavs didn't do a good job at getting him, but he wasn't coveted highly at all.

Start to have a serious discussion and you avoid it, move the goalposts and try to make a stupid bet that wasn't even the point of what I was saying. Props :tu

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Exactly, you won't take the bet because you know good and well who the better player is and should really shut the fuck up.

You are an idiot :lol

KobeOwnsDuncan
07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
D:lolG comin up short once again.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:12 PM
My negro D, what you said was just dumb...own it and move on, brotha. We all say stupid shit on here, but you gotta own it.:lol

No - you are in the same boat as M>S when it comes to basketball. You like it, hang around here but know you really don't care to dig deep or use anything besides the eye ball test and emoticons.

I really have failed to see how saying OJ is a more naturally talented player, but I'd rather have DG for the Spurs system is dumb. If I said something stupid (like the Heat would beat the Mavs :lol) I would own up to and pay for it.

This is not one of those cases - or the "throw out half his career" & "OJ has unlimited potential and we know Danny's even though they are the same age and Danny has been in the league less years" arguments have not persuaded me.

Again, I was never arguing a huge gap - in fact it was the opposite with regards to this argument.

Pickle
07-17-2012, 06:13 PM
You are an idiot :lol

Is that an emoticon? I thought real hardcore basketball discussers didn't use those? :lol faggot

Pickle
07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
No - you are in the same boat as M>S when it comes to basketball. You like it, hang around here but know you really don't care to dig deep or use anything besides the eye ball test and emoticons.

I really have failed to see how saying OJ is a more naturally talented player, but I'd rather have DG for the Spurs system is dumb. If I said something stupid (like the Heat would beat the Mavs :lol) I would own up to and pay for it.

This is not one of those cases - or the "throw out half his career" & "OJ has unlimited potential and we know Danny's even though they are the same age and Danny has been in the league less years" arguments have not persuaded me.

Again, I was never arguing a huge gap - in fact it was the opposite with regards to this argument.

:cry nobody agrees with me :cry

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
I troll only because the basketball discussion is not high level enough :cry

Bill_Brasky
07-17-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm still confused as to why saying DG > OJ is such a big deal.

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 06:26 PM

:lmaodigging deep. That was seriously one of the gayest things you've ever said here. Calm down, dude...John Hollinger has made such faggots out of basketball fans...don't be one of them.

Lemme help you out:

In this role? :lol I don't see how that's stupid. I said OJ is more talented with a higher ceiling. Danny though, due to his superior defense I would rather have in this role.

So why on Earth would you take a scrub over him? I think we all can agree Pop is the best current coach in the NBA and knows how to maximize the talent of his players--right?

The defensive argument is also incredibly weak. The difference between Danny Green's defense and OJ Mayo's defense is inconsequential in the big scheme of things (i.e. it's not a big enough difference to swing a series or change playoff seeding). Danny Green shat the bed when it mattered most on defense, and Pop lost faith in him to the point where he played sparingly off the bench.

Lastly, there's a reason why Pop found Danny Green on the scrap heap of some chickenshit eastern euro league.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
It's not - but once they get set to scoffing and talking about things they don't really know (you can tell by the way M>S evaluates DG and says things like "OJ has a lot of potential, but Danny has shown everything") there isn't really stopping them.

They also like to twist arguments when the quotes are right there. :lol Trying to make a bet when you are arguing with yourself (because I never said OJ was way worse than DG or that he couldn't have a better year).

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 06:36 PM
:lmaodigging deep. That was seriously one of the gayest things you've ever said here. Calm down, dude...John Hollinger has made such faggots out of basketball fans...don't be one of them.

Lemme help you out:

So why on Earth would you take a scrub over him? I think we all can agree Pop is the best current coach in the NBA and knows how to maximize the talent of his players--right?

The defensive argument is also incredibly weak. The difference between Danny Green's defense and OJ Mayo's defense is inconsequential in the big scheme of things (i.e. it's not a big enough difference to swing a series or change playoff seeding). Danny Green shat the bed when it mattered most on defense, and Pop lost faith in him to the point where he played sparingly off the bench.

Lastly, there's a reason why Pop found Danny Green on the scrap heap of some chickenshit eastern euro league.

Because Danny isn't a scrub and because the league is loaded with guys with "natural ability" (JR Smith, OJ Mayo, Anthony Randolph, Eddie Curry) that for whatever reason (mental, attitude or not as good as we thought) don't perform.

The difference in defense is inconsequential? I disagree. Danny had a very good first two playoff rounds and was essentially a playoff rookie. If you are going to ding him for not having a great WCF as a playoff rookie and disregard his first two rounds - well, that just goes back to what I was saying about the way you and M>S argue. So for OJ, we ignore the fact his own team didn't want him, that he's declined every year, that he's proven to be nothing more than an inefficient chucker and that his market value was less than guys like Green, Diaw, Novak, Crawford, Line depsite having all this "potential". That is the same logic as saying "that's how Danny was found on the scrap heap". He's been given a chance and is now growing as a player. He could bust, but since he has defense, he can still be useful. OJ, without offense (and his offense sucks at the moment) is useless.

Also, if you are going to cite Green "choking" why not Mayo? Mayo's playoff averages: 10 points, 3 rebounds, 2 ast on 35% shooting (including 27% FG last year).

Green: 6 points, 3 rebounds, 1 ast on 41% FG with better all around better advanced stats too (although it's close, which was my argument from the get go).

It's just a case of guys not knowing a player and it being popular to scoff.

Bill_Brasky
07-17-2012, 06:43 PM

DG isn't a scrub...he started and did reasonably well. It's gonna sound corny as fuck to say but he's got a good head on his shoulders and he works hard. He's certainly worth the 4m he just earned. Also, how many players get benched by their coach in the WCF after starting most of the year and are eager to get back to work with that same team? That's almost unheard of. I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to maximize talent when the person who possesses it is a chucker with a huge ego.

The defensive argument is also incredibly weak. The difference between Danny Green's defense and OJ Mayo's defense is inconsequential in the big scheme of things (i.e. it's not a big enough difference to swing a series or change playoff seeding). Danny Green shat the bed when it mattered most on defense, and Pop lost faith in him to the point where he played sparingly off the bench.http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200042&highlight=player+pairings

Looking at the pairings, Green was really good on both ends. Where he shat the bed in the WCF wasn't on defense, it was on offense when his shot stopped falling and they literally stopped guarding him. If he can figure a way to not completely fuck up the Spurs offense when his shot isn't falling, we might be able to pull out another W in that series.

There's also a reason OJ Mayo lost his starting gig to Tony fucking Allen.

But OJ Mayo would win in 1on1 monkeyball so obviously he has the edge.

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Because Danny isn't a scrub and because the league is loaded with guys with "natural ability" (JR Smith, OJ Mayo, Anthony Randolph, Eddie Curry) that for whatever reason (mental, attitude or not as good as we thought) don't perform.

The difference in defense is inconsequential? I disagree. Danny had a very good first two playoff rounds and was essentially a playoff rookie. If you are going to ding him for not having a great WCF as a playoff rookie and disregard his first two rounds - well, that just goes back to what I was saying about the way you and M>S argue. So for OJ, we ignore the fact his own team didn't want him, that he's declined every year, that he's proven to be nothing more than an inefficient chucker and that his market value was less than guys like Green, Diaw, Novak, Crawford, Line depsite having all this "potential".

Also, if you are going to cite Green "choking" why not Mayo? Mayo's playoff averages: 10 points, 3 rebounds, 2 ast on 35% shooting (including 27% FG last year).

Green: 6 points, 3 rebounds, 1 ast on 41% FG with better all around better advanced stats too (although it's close, which was my argument from the get go).

It's just a case of guys not knowing a player and it being popular to scoff.

He did a splendid job on Randy Foye and Gordon Heyward. Much props.

Hell yes his defense was inconsequential in the playoffs. They played 2 vastly inferior playoff opponents (one of which was the walking wounded), and they were never in doubt. Put OJ Mayo in there and they still wipe the walls with both teams--are you really going to argue against that?

Also, don't group my opinions with his just b/c multiple posters are calling you on your shit. You're the one who said OJ has a higher ceiling and is more talented...that's a direct quote and your words weren't twisted--yet you don't think the best current coach in the game with an excellent track record of developing talent can work his magic with him?

Explain yourself.

jag
07-17-2012, 06:52 PM

HAyward brah

And dude is a baller

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Hell yes his defense was inconsequential in the playoffs. They played 2 vastly inferior playoff opponents (one of which was the walking wounded), and they were never in doubt. Put OJ Mayo in there and they still wipe the walls with both teams--are you really going to argue against that?

Also, don't group my opinions with his just b/c multiple posters are calling you on your shit. You're the one who said OJ has a higher ceiling and is more talented...that's a direct quote and your words weren't twisted--yet you don't think the best current coach in the game with an excellent track record of developing talent can work his magic with him?

Explain yourself.

OJ had his chance against LAC :lol. It resulted in blowing a 20 point lead in the fourth quarter because he couldn't shoot or defend and losing a game 7 on the road.

You can't say the defense throughout the regular season (which played a large role in getting the best record in the West) and his defense against CP3 (which helped sweep two teams and give the Spurs their best shot at getting to the finals) was not worth anything. That is just a ridiculous argument to prop up the no defense playing, no shooting Mayo.

I am lumping you in with him because you don't know what you are talking about. All you do is base your opinions off of name recognition. I know you don't watch a ton of basketball nor do you look at stats to help shape your position. I said OJ has the higher ceiling and has more natural ability - I also already explained why I would take DG in spite of that. I also said that the gap isn't far either way at least not to the point where you start stupid threads like this or "Dwill v Mills" to scoff, but you and M>S keep failing to grasp that.

The posters that are calling me on my "shit" are the same ones saying "throw away half of OJ's career when evaluating" and "Dwill v Mills" and "He's a scrub! I don't care what the stats or market says!" so I don't really care :lol.

I also love how you ignore how OJ shits the bed in the playoffs worse than Green and how you just randomly say even though OJ is a horrific defender and Green is a solid one how it just doesn't matter somehow.

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 07:45 PM
OJ had his chance against LAC :lol. It resulted in blowing a 20 point lead in the fourth quarter because he couldn't shoot or defend and losing a game 7 on the road.

You can't say the defense throughout the regular season (which played a large role in getting the best record in the West) and his defense against CP3 (which helped sweep two teams and give the Spurs their best shot at getting to the finals) was not worth anything. That is just a ridiculous argument to prop up the no defense playing, no shooting Mayo.

I am lumping you in with him because you don't know what you are talking about. All you do is base your opinions off of name recognition. I know you don't watch a ton of basketball nor do you look at stats to help shape your position. I said OJ has the higher ceiling and has more natural ability - I also already explained why I would take DG in spite of that. I also said that the gap isn't far either way at least not to the point where you start stupid threads like this or "Dwill v Mills" to scoff, but you and M>S keep failing to grasp that.

The posters that are calling me on my "shit" are the same ones saying "throw away half of OJ's career when evaluating" and "Dwill v Mills" and "He's a scrub! I don't care what the stats or market says!" so I don't really care :lol.

I also love how you ignore how OJ shits the bed in the playoffs worse than Green and how you just randomly say even though OJ is a horrific defender and Green is a solid one how it just doesn't matter somehow.

:lolHoly hell look how worked up you are over Danny fucking Green.

Blah Blah Blah Blah...little substance, as usual--but you slap 2 coats of sarcasm and arrogance over every fresh turd you produce here.

:lolYou think DG's defense was a big part of 2 series that were complete and utter mismatches.

Let's call a spade a spade then. If I "supposedly" go off nothing more than name recognition, then you suckle on Bruno, MB, FWD, and occasionally timvp's tits for your takes and basketball knowledge, as well as a couple of the other OG's here. You have no idea how stupid you look in this thread, and how I've already used your words against you.

I said OJ has the higher ceiling and has more natural ability
Yup, pretty common knowledge.

I also already explained why I would take DG in spite of that
Not with any success. You still haven't illustrated why the best coach in the game couldn't use a more talented, higher-ceiling player over your current SG. You haven't, because you can't without contradicting yourself. If Pop can turn some eastern euro league-playing afterthought into a decent starter, what do you think he's capable of with a "more talented" one? Don't dodge the question.

Get over your mancrush for DG already. Jerking off to one abridged season of surprising play is definitely something true basketball enthusiasts do, amirite?

Also, please find where I've denied or disregarded Mayo's underwhelming playoffs to date. Yup, he hasn't played up to his potential yet--that's a pretty obvious observation there, champ. However, in 2011 while OJ was helping to knock off a #1 seed, DG was stashed away in some Balkan shithole, wondering if he'd ever play in the NBA again--in the WCF we saw why.

This thread was over and your point lost as soon as you admitted OJ was "more talented, had more natural ability, and had a higher ceiling."

More talented, more natural ability, higher ceiling player (your words, not mine) + best coach in the NBA<<<<Pop + DG (using DPG logic).

Well done, dipshit.

mavs>spurs
07-17-2012, 07:48 PM
He told on himself whenever he didn't want to take the bet. All that other bs aside, when it came time to put his money where his mouth is even DPG himself knows who the better player is. That's good enough for me and I'd advise you leave him alone too because he won't ever quit he'll just keep doing this over and over in circles.

Samuel Eto'o
07-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Exactly. Acting like Green v Mayo is some Kobe v Bonner argument is silly.

This is aside from all the shit thats going in itt, but I hate how some posters do this on the reg. It needs to stop.
Extreme over-exaggeration of your opponents stance does not make your stance look any better people.

Okay carry on.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Yup^

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 08:27 PM
:lolHoly hell look how worked up you are over Danny fucking Green.

Blah Blah Blah Blah...little substance, as usual--but you slap 2 coats of sarcasm and arrogance over every fresh turd you produce here.

Little substance. I guess posting stats and backing my position is little substance while saying things like "he's a scrub!" while ignoring and not refuting any point is full of substance.

It's not being worked up - it is talking about the topic and having to overcome random throw away scoffing and greatly exaggerated positions.

:lolYou think DG's defense was a big part of 2 series that were complete and utter mismatches.

I think DG is a much better defender than OJ. You say that has no bearing and I disagree both from a regular season and playoff perspective.

Let's call a spade a spade then. If I "supposedly" go off nothing more than name recognition, then you suckle on Bruno, MB, FWD, and occasionally timvp's tits for your takes and basketball knowledge, as well as a couple of the other OG's here. You have no idea how stupid you look in this thread, and how I've already used your words against you.

Pretty sure saying "he's a scrub" and " a playoff choker" in the face of me showing you OJ has been worse makes you look stupid, not me. No matter how many silly over exaggerated threads yall start.

I suckle on them :lol? I listen to what they have to say and also bring my own takes. I know where to go to get all of the stats and look up stuff when I have something to say. Timvp and I (along with many others) disagree on a regular basis and I use the same style of posting. Of course I listen to what they say and learn from it - they are good posters. That would be like saying a student jocks his professors for their knowledge :lol. We all pull info from others and form our own opinions.

Yup, pretty common knowledge.

Not with any success. You still haven't illustrated why the best coach in the game couldn't use a more talented, higher-ceiling player over your current SG. You haven't, because you can't without contradicting yourself. If Pop can turn some eastern euro league-playing afterthought into a decent starter, what do you think he's capable of with a "more talented" one? Don't dodge the question.

Get over your mancrush for DG already. Jerking off to one abridged season of surprising play is definitely something true basketball enthusiasts do, amirite?

Also, please find where I've denied or disregarded Mayo's underwhelming playoffs to date. Yup, he hasn't played up to his potential yet--that's a pretty obvious observation there, champ. However, in 2011 while OJ was helping to knock off a #1 seed, DG was stashed away in some Balkan shithole, wondering if he'd ever play in the NBA again--in the WCF we saw why.

This thread was over and your point lost as soon as you admitted OJ was "more talented, had more natural ability, and had a higher ceiling."

More talented, more natural ability, higher ceiling player (your words, not mine) + best coach in the NBA<<<<Pop + DG (using DPG logic).

Well done, dipshit.

You still don't get it. It's ok. You have used nothing substantial, have not refuted any of the points I have made even though I answer your questions just because you have your mind made up. That's fine, but again, it's not a silly argument to the degree you are making it out to be.

The fact you don't understand that "having a higher ceiling" doesn't equate to "automatically he gets the nod" shows you miss the point that others have also tried to tell you.

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Little substance. I guess posting stats and backing my position is little substance while saying things like "he's a scrub!" while ignoring and not refuting any point is full of substance.

It's not being worked up - it is talking about the topic and having to overcome random throw away scoffing and greatly exaggerated positions.

I think DG is a much better defender than OJ. You say that has no bearing and I disagree both from a regular season and playoff perspective.

Pretty sure saying "he's a scrub" and " a playoff choker" in the face of me showing you OJ has been worse makes you look stupid, not me. No matter how many silly over exaggerated threads yall start.

I suckle on them :lol? I listen to what they have to say and also bring my own takes. I know where to go to get all of the stats and look up stuff when I have something to say. Timvp and I (along with many others) disagree on a regular basis and I use the same style of posting. Of course I listen to what they say and learn from it - they are good posters. That would be like saying a student jocks his professors for their knowledge :lol. We all pull info from others and form our own opinions.

You still don't get it. It's ok. You have used nothing substantial, have not refuted any of the points I have made even though I answer your questions just because you have your mind made up. That's fine, but again, it's not a silly argument to the degree you are making it out to be.

The fact you don't understand that "having a higher ceiling" doesn't equate to "automatically he gets the nod" shows you miss the point that others have also tried to tell you.

^
Dodged the question again. Not surprising at all, though.

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 08:35 PM
You and M>S seem to be missing the point though. The point was that it's not nearly as bad as yall made it out to be.

Even in this thread I spoke about Mavs being a solid team potentially, so I was not knocking OJ or the pick up.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201276

DPG21920
07-17-2012, 08:49 PM

I am assuming this is the one question you keep referring too (even though I have already answered I think and you answer to nothing :lol)

It's not a contradiction - Pop is a good coach, but he is far from some magical wizard. OJ would struggle IMO because you can't change the fact OJ sucks at defense and Danny doesn't. To illustrate this point, I will bring up something that I argued against for the same reasoning (and it wasn't popular at the time, but turned out correct): Richard Jefferson. RJ had a ton of talent - much more than Danny Green and even way better than OJ has ever been. But Pop, even with that talent could not make it work because RJ just didn't have the tools or mindset to make it in this system. I argued that bringing in a better "fit" even if not as naturally gifted as RJ would be better off and I turned out to be correct (along with others too). I was one of the more vocal about RJ re-signing and why it was bad using this exact logic - and RJ has been way better than OJ could dream of to date in his career.

You disregarded it because you threw out Danny's first two playoff series where he played pretty well (just to make your argument look better) and only focused on his one bad one. You never once mentioned OJ"s massive playoff failures and didn't even acknowledge it when I brought it up to you to show how you were just blindly finding ways to knock Danny and prop of OJ for some reason.

While OJ was helping to knock of a #1 seed :lol

Vs Spurs:

Game 1: 38% shooting
Game 2: 18% shooting
Game 3: 37% shooting
Game 4: 40% shooting
Game 5: 75% shooting (only 3 of 4 because he got pulled)
Game 6: 33% shooting

They would have been better off without him tbh..

DeadlyDynasty
07-17-2012, 08:51 PM
What question would you like answered again? And will you then actually answer mine?

How is a "higher-ceiling, more talented, more natural ability player" under the tutelage of the best current coach and talent developer not a better option than a guy who was previously known for nothing, and was rotting away in Europe? Christ almighty you must've thought RMJ was the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ halfway through '09.

I don't recall you asking me any (non-rhetorical) questions, but ask away.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I am assuming this is the one question you keep referring too (even though I have already answered I think and you answer to nothing :lol)

It's not a contradiction - Pop is a good coach, but he is far from some magical wizard. OJ would struggle IMO because you can't change the fact OJ sucks at defense and Danny doesn't. To illustrate this point, I will bring up something that I argued against for the same reasoning (and it wasn't popular at the time, but turned out correct): Richard Jefferson. RJ had a ton of talent - much more than Danny Green and even way better than OJ has ever been. But Pop, even with that talent could not make it work because RJ just didn't have the tools or mindset to make it in this system. I argued that bringing in a better "fit" even if not as naturally gifted as RJ would be better off and I turned out to be correct (along with others too). I was one of the more vocal about RJ re-signing and why it was bad using this exact logic - and RJ has been way better than OJ could dream of to date in his career.

You disregarded it because you threw out Danny's first two playoff series where he played pretty well (just to make your argument look better) and only focused on his one bad one. You never once mentioned OJ"s massive playoff failures and didn't even acknowledge it when I brought it up to you to show how you were just blindly finding ways to knock Danny and prop of OJ for some reason.

While OJ was helping to knock of a #1 seed :lol

Vs Spurs:

Game 1: 38% shooting
Game 2: 18% shooting
Game 3: 37% shooting
Game 4: 40% shooting
Game 5: 75% shooting (only 3 of 4 because he got pulled)
Game 6: 33% shooting

They would have been better off without him tbh..

Ok, so you're comparing RJ to OJ to support your argument--a player that has nothing to do with this argument. I'll do the same now, since we're going down that path. I'm also glad you know a player's mindset after 4 years in the league. If that were true, LeBron would still be a medicore defender at best, and a mental midget in the clutch.

RJ was who he was by the time SA got him. Mayo is still developing and is only 24-25 years old. Having the best coach and talent developer would work wonders for him. Also being on a team with established leaders where everyone knows their role would also help a young player. Look at Kawhi Leonard--imagine if he had been drafted by the Warriors or some other mess of a team--would he of had the same impact?

DG is a plug-and-play guard. If he was anything more then he would've been used more against OKC.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM
He's not the best talent developer. Not even the most homer Spur fan would agree with you and you have nothing to back that up substantially. You are making up hypotheticals (Lebron)- I am giving you actual tangible evidence (RJ) that is very related to this topic (fit v talent and Pops ability to make it work).

Not to mention, all the players you are mentioning (Lebron, Kawhi, Green...) all play defense above average to great. OJ is very below average - again, this is proven statistically.

If OJ were anything, he wouldn't be one of the last free agents courted, dropped by the team that saw him the closest and traded Love for him or signed for less guaranteed money than Novak, Jamal Crawford, Lin, Danny Green, Jason Terry, and many others.

He also wouldn't have a worse playoff record or stats than Danny Green.

Just because you use hyperbole (Dwill v Mills! or He's a Scrub! or Pop is the best talent developer in the NBA!) doesn't make what you say true and you have shown nothing IMO to prove there is such a large gap in OJ vs DG in the context of this argument to be up in arms about and calling people stupid.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
You have one abridged season of decent play on a deep team and with the best coach to form your argument.

Here...this is easy to solve: they should both be starters this coming year on decent-to-good teams. We'll let the results speak for themselves and count the bodies afterwards.

mavs>spurs
07-18-2012, 04:22 PM
You have one abridged season of decent play on a deep team and with the best coach to form your argument.

Here...this is easy to solve: they should both be starters this coming year on decent-to-good teams. We'll let the results speak for themselves and count the bodies afterwards.

I tried that but he rejected it, so don't expect too much here. He's already said that even if Mayo massively outperforms Green, he wouldn't be wrong necessarily. He's got all bases covered.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 04:24 PM
It's not a bet though...OJ will be starting (just like DG). Some will say the Spurs are deeper, but they also play more fast-paced and score a lot more points, so it evens out, imo

mavs>spurs
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
It's not a bet though...OJ will be starting (just like DG). Some will say the Spurs are deeper, but they also play more fast-paced and score a lot more points, so it evens out, imo

Bet or no bet, he rejected the idea already and covered all his bases. Even if Mayo outperforms Green he's said that he's still not wrong.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 04:27 PM

I agree - I just don't get why you (and not just you) scoff people like they are saying things like "Bonner is as good as Dwight Howard!!!". The comparision, especially when factoring in the system is not that egregious IMO. That was my only argument.

I expect them both to have solid seasons. I think OJ has more natural talent, so if he makes the leap or it clicks, then there is no argument on who is the better player, it will be OJ. I think that they will have similar years (especially if you factor in defense) but I'd rather have Danny on the Spurs because he isn't a sieve on defense.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Bet or no bet, he rejected the idea already and covered all his bases. Even if Mayo outperforms Green he's said that he's still not wrong.

No. You still don't get it and I can't explain it any better to you.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 04:29 PM

OJ should score more points - he will get more shots (all the shots JET got, which is more than Danny ever got). We will see if Danny out shooting OJ in every cat pretty much continues and if OJ will just have more points by being an inefficient chucker.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I tried that but he rejected it, so don't expect too much here. He's already said that even if Mayo massively outperforms Green, he wouldn't be wrong necessarily. He's got all bases covered.

Please link that? If you can do that, I will accept your bet. If you can not show the quote where I explicitly said that, you are gone forever from ST including all your trolls, deal?

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I agree - I just don't get why you (and not just you) scoff people like they are saying things like "Bonner is as good as Dwight Howard!!!". The comparision, especially when factoring in the system is not that egregious IMO. That was my only argument.

I expect them both to have solid seasons. I think OJ has more natural talent, so if he makes the leap or it clicks, then there is no argument on who is the better player, it will be OJ. I think that they will have similar years (especially if you factor in defense) but I'd rather have Danny on the Spurs because he isn't a sieve on defense.

Fair points, but here's why I scoffed the notion of "DG>>Mayo": Like I said, he's toiled in NBA obscurity up until this year, and he was able to find a nice niche in a shooter-friendly, fast-paced offense. I'm just weary of flash-in-the-pan players. RMJ and Boobie Gibson have given similar regular season and playoff performances (respectively), then gone on to do nothing.

jmo

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Fair points, but here's why I scoffed the notion of "DG>>Mayo": Like I said, he's toiled in NBA obscurity up until this year, and he was able to find a nice niche in a shooter-friendly, fast-paced offense. I'm just weary of flash-in-the-pan players. RMJ and Boobie Gibson have given similar regular season and playoff performances (respectively), then gone on to do nothing.

jmo

Big difference is Danny is actually an above average defender. Those guys (Boobie, RMJ), if their shots don't fall, you can't play them. Danny, while if he's not making shots its' harder to play him, still has value due to his defense. Maybe not enough to overcome a lack of shooting against OKC, but against most teams, yeah.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Please link that? If you can do that, I will accept your bet. If you can not show the quote where I explicitly said that, you are gone forever from ST including all your trolls, deal?

Are you backing out of the bet? Do you accept. You have made a clear statement and I want to bet on it. Put your money where your mouth is.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Big difference is Danny is actually an above average defender. Those guys (Boobie, RMJ), if their shots don't fall, you can't play them. Danny, while if he's not making shots its' harder to play him, still has value due to his defense. Maybe not enough to overcome a lack of shooting against OKC, but against most teams, yeah.

This is where that "above average defender" needs to pay off, though. The Spurs would've beaten Utah and LAC w/o DG, don't you agree? His defensive prowess (where he's better than Mayo at) needs to show up when the team needs him most.

ElNono
07-18-2012, 04:53 PM
You fellas still arguing over Danny Green and OJ Mayo? :lol

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 04:59 PM
This is where that "above average defender" needs to pay off, though. The Spurs would've beaten Utah and LAC w/o DG, don't you agree? His defensive prowess (where he's better than Mayo at) needs to show up when the team needs him most.

Scro - that is luda to say that IMO. So only if you can stop Durant and one of the top 2 teams in the league is it worth anything?

If that is the case, what the hell has OJ May done besides not have any impact in the playoffs and worse numbers than Green?

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Scro - that is luda to say that IMO. So only if you can stop Durant and one of the top 2 teams in the league is it worth anything?

If that is the case, what the hell has OJ May done besides not have any impact in the playoffs and worse numbers than Green?

What I'm saying is his defensive impact needs to have more of an impact when the team needs him most. That's an outlandish statement? I'm merely saying that if you switch OJ and DG during the first two series that SA still wins...I think that's a pretty fair assumption to make, don't you?

OJ would not have done any better against OKC's big 3 defensively, but who knows what he could've done offensively to offset Harden. How were they head-to-head in the playoffs last year? (seriously, i don't recall...Harden could've killed him for all I know).

That's my point, I guess. Danny is OK on offense and defense. If he falters on D, they always have SJax. OJ is subpar on D but has the potential to be explosive on O--especially in such a guard-friendly system as Pops.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Mayo outscored Harden 92-88 over a 7-game series. Of course that doesn't correlate to a Spurs series, but Mayo has had some success against the Thunder.

JJ Hickson
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Mayo outscored Harden 92-88 over a 7-game series. Of course that doesn't correlate to a Spurs series, but Mayo has had some success against the Thunder.

If the Spurs and the Thunder played a hundred series, how many of those would Danny Green outscore Harden?

Latarian Milton
07-18-2012, 06:28 PM
a spot-up shooter was what the mavs needed and what they were seeking for, and they got it in OJ. while DG might be a better player at defensive end, he's NOT the player that fits mavs need. if you swap him & OJ then both teams (spurs and mavs) are weakened imho

spurs used to live by D but they're becoming more and more dependent on offense these days. duncan was the team's hub on both ends of the floor but at present day he's no longer able to play such level of D with his legs far behind his mind, and that's when you need some extra D from role players such as blair, DG, gangbanger etc...

mavs on the other hand are never a D-oriented team to begin with, their D witnessed significant improvement over the past years but it's still their offensive power & incessant 3pt rains that make their opponents fear them imho. mavs were searching for a wing player that can shoot and they got OJ who will fill that role, it's another shrewd signing by them mavs and you really can't argue against it

Latarian Milton
07-18-2012, 06:28 PM
a spot-up shooter was what the mavs needed and what they were seeking for, and they got it in OJ. while DG might be a better player at defensive end, he's NOT the player that fits mavs need. if you swap him & OJ then both teams (spurs and mavs) are weakened imho

spurs used to live by D but they're becoming more and more dependent on offense these days. duncan was the team's hub on both ends of the floor but at present day he's no longer able to play such level of D with his legs far behind his mind, and that's when you need some extra D from role players such as blair, DG, gangbanger etc...

mavs on the other hand are never a D-oriented team to begin with, their D witnessed significant improvement over the past years but it's still their offensive power & incessant 3pt rains that make their opponents fear them imho. mavs were searching for a wing player that can shoot and they got OJ who will fill that role, it's another shrewd signing by them mavs and you really can't argue against it

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
If the Spurs and the Thunder played a hundred series, how many of those would Danny Green outscore Harden?

Another interesting fact about that series, though: Mayo's minutes increased as the series progressed (to where he started the last few games). Green's minutes declined as he was benched and played sparingly towards the end. In both cases, Green and Mayo were "playoff rookies."

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:03 PM

Another interesting fact about that series, though: Mayo's minutes increased as the series progressed (to where he started the last few games). Green's minutes declined as he was benched and played sparingly towards the end. In both cases, Green and Mayo were "playoff rookies."

OJ vs OKC:

Game 1: 28% FG
Game 2: 46% FG
Game 3: 33% FG
Game 4: 50% FG
Game 5: 22% FG
Game 6: 50% FG
Game 7: 41% FG

He had 3 respectable games out of 7 shooting wise - coupled with poor defense. His inability to consistently shoot at a respectable percentage (often time horrific shooting with two games sub 30%) is a big reason they lost the series. He simply scored more points than Harden due to high volume, low efficiency chucking and that is not a good way to evaluate players (how many points they score in a bubble).

Harden vs MEM:

Game 1: 40% FG
Game 2: 55% FG
Game 3: 44% FG
Game 4: 36% FG
Game 5: 50% FG
Game 7: 60% FG

Harden shot much, much better, but did a lot more overall and played much more within their system and picked his shots better.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:08 PM

Danny as a spot up shooter completely owned OJ Mayo last year tbh (especially from 3 point land)...Could be a fluke, we'll see, but:

Danny:

FG: 44%
3PT: 43%
FT: 79%
TS%: 58%
eFG%: 55%

OJ:

FG: 40%
3PT: 36%
FT: 77%
TS%: 51%
eFG%: 47%

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
OJ vs OKC:

Game 1: 28% FG
Game 2: 46% FG
Game 3: 33% FG
Game 4: 50% FG
Game 5: 22% FG
Game 7: 41% FG

He had 3 respectable games out of 7 shooting wise - coupled with poor defense. His inability to consistently shoot at a respectable percentage (often time horrific shooting with two games sub 30%) is a big reason they lost the series. He simply scored more points than Harden due to high volume, low efficiency chucking and that is not a good way to evaluate players (how many points they score in a bubble).

Harden vs MEM:

Game 1: 40% FG
Game 2: 55% FG
Game 3: 44% FG
Game 4: 36% FG
Game 5: 50% FG
Game 7: 60% FG

Harden shot much, much better, but did a lot more overall and played much more within their system and picked his shots better.

The Grizz went 2-1 in his sub-40% games...

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
The Grizz went 2-1 in his sub-40% games...

They also lost the series because they didn't have him shooting reliably and Harden completely out played him in their comparible roles. Boiled down, OJ was terrible vs the Spurs in the playoffs and wasn't very good against OKC. He was a big reason why they lost. His shooting has been horrific in the playoffs and his defense too.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 08:20 PM
They also lost the series because they didn't have him shooting reliably and Harden completely out played him in their comparible roles.

That's all fine and dandy, but they went 2-1 in his awful shooting performances, and won 2 games (game 4 and 6) where he shot well.

In Game 7 he wasn't chucking (5-12), 14 points, 5 rebs.

Do you have any more conclusive evidence that this was OJ's fault?

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:23 PM
That's all fine and dandy, but they went 2-1 in his awful shooting performances, and won 2 games (game 4 and 6) where he shot well.

In Game 7 he wasn't chucking (5-12), 14 points, 5 rebs.

Do you have any more conclusive evidence that this was OJ's fault?

He shot poorly and was out played by the guy you said he out scored. Just because he took more shots at a much less efficient rate doesn't make him scoring more points relavant.

They lost the series, he sucked against the Spurs when MEM won (so I guess he gets credit there) and played the same Clippers DG played and lost to them.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 08:27 PM
He shot poorly and was out played by the guy you said he out scored. Just because he took more shots at a much less efficient rate doesn't make him scoring more points relavant.

They lost the series, he sucked against the Spurs when MEM won (so I guess he gets credit there) and played the same Clippers DG played and lost to them.

Pretty week premise to blame a guy for a series loss, especially when his awful shooting games didn't end up doing the damage you hoped. Furthermore, one player was given starting and increasing minutes vs the Thunder, while the other was phased out of Pop's game plan bc he didn't show up.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Also, both Mayo and Green have played 3 playoff series. Mayo's played for a plodding halfcourt team and 2/3 playoff teams he's played have been superior to his.

Green has played in a fast-paced, guard-friendly offense and has faced inferior opponents (so says Vegas) in all 3 of his series.

Let's just agree to disagree.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:36 PM
His team shot 50% in game 1, Zbo dropped a triple double in game 3. They won in spite of OJ chucking. Just because your team won, doesn't mean you helped. The facts are OJ shot terrible vs the Spurs when MEM won and you tried to give him credit, you tried to give him credit vs OKC for "scoring more points" than Harden, yet I showed you why. He played the same Clippers as DG and got bounced including blowing a 20+ point 4Q lead and losing a game 7 at home where he shot .092 (1-11) :lmao.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Pretty week premise to blame a guy for a series loss, especially when his awful shooting games didn't end up doing the damage you hoped. Furthermore, one player was given starting and increasing minutes vs the Thunder, while the other was phased out of Pop's game plan bc he didn't show up.

That's bad coaching.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Also, both Mayo and Green have played 3 playoff series. Mayo's played for a plodding halfcourt team and 2/3 playoff teams he's played have been superior to his.

Green has played in a fast-paced, guard-friendly offense and has faced inferior opponents (so says Vegas) in all 3 of his series.

Let's just agree to disagree.

So we ignore the fact OJ has been worse than DG in the playoffs, that he loses to the teams DG beats and that when his team wins, he sticks out like a sore thumb for his inefficient shooting. OK.

We haven't even spoken about the weak part of his game: Defense and how that played a role too.

Just saying "he sucked but his team won" while failing to acknowledge he had guys dropping triple doubles and his team shooting 50% while he shoots in the 20's makes little sense to me.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 08:40 PM
His team shot 50% in game 1, Zbo dropped a triple double in game 3. They won in spite of OJ chucking. Just because your team won, doesn't mean you helped. The facts are OJ shot terrible vs the Spurs when MEM won and you tried to give him credit, you tried to give him credit vs OKC for "scoring more points" than Harden, yet I showed you why. He played the same Clippers as DG and got bounced including blowing a 20+ point 4Q lead and losing a game 7 at home where he shot .092 (1-11) :lmao.

Winning in spite of OJ those 2 games=/=he cost them the series.

Frankly, it doesn't make any sense.

mavs>spurs
07-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Danny green is a spot up shooter who will knock down open looks created by his teammates, while OJ mayo is a guy who can create his own shot and has a much more complete offensive repertoire. Comparing the 2 is massive fail. 8 pages of it is especially pathetic, as if the 2 players are anywhere near close or 30 out of 30 gm's wouldn't choose mayo.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 08:41 PM
So we ignore the fact OJ has been worse than DG in the playoffs, that he loses to the teams DG beats and that when his team wins, he sticks out like a sore thumb for his inefficient shooting. OK.

We haven't even spoken about the weak part of his game: Defense and how that played a role too.

Just saying "he sucked but his team won" while failing to acknowledge he had guys dropping triple doubles and his team shooting 50% while he shoots in the 20's makes little sense to me.

Danny Green was benched. True or false?

lakerhaterade
07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
DPG has entered one of those debates where he ends up arguing for the sake of DG being > than OJ. Stats aside, OJ would thrive in the spurs system as he brings more versatility off the dribble in addition to being able to put the ball in the hoop. Think of a more athletic and versatile Gary Neal.

DG is a long-armed defender with average athletecism that's vastly overrated upstairs.

Pop has catalyzed a scrub like DG to play above his ability because of system ball. Imagine what he could do with a player of OJ Mayo's upside upon integration into the rotation ?

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Danny green is a spot up shooter who will knock down open looks created by his teammates, while OJ mayo is a guy who can create his own shot and has a much more complete offensive repertoire. Comparing the 2 is massive fail. 8 pages of it is especially pathetic, as if the 2 players are anywhere near close or 30 out of 30 gm's wouldn't choose mayo.

Memphis didn't choose Mayo, nor did several other teams that let him linger in the bargain bin to sign for less guaranteed money than Danny Green and Steve Novak.

Also, in that game 1 where OJ was chuking at a sub 30% level against OKC, he has every one of his baskets assisted on (100% of them, which is what you knock DG for). So basically he can do all these things (get his own shot, be a good shooter) without actually being able to do them really.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Danny Green was benched. True or false?

True.

OJ Mayo shot much worse than James Harden even though he scored more points, true or false?

OJ Mayo has shot worse than DG in the playoffs, true or false?

OJ Mayo shot horrific against the Spurs they year MEM beat SA, true of false?

OJ Mayo lost to the same Clippers last year including a game 7 at home where he shot 1-11, true or false?

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 08:56 PM
DPG has entered one of those debates where he ends up arguing for the sake of DG being > than OJ. Stats aside, OJ would thrive in the spurs system as he brings more versatility off the dribble in addition to ring able to put the ball in the hoop. Think of a more athletic and versatile Gary Neal.

DG is a long-armed defender with average athletecism that's vastly overrated upstairs.

Pop has catalyzed a scrub like DG to play above his ability because of system ball. Imagine what he could do with a player of OJ Mayo's upside upon integration into the rotation ?

I never said DG>OJ - again missing the point. I have been arguing that it's not laughable to debate OJ v DG especially with regards to a system. How you fail to see this after it being repeated multiple times is beyond me.

I also love how it's "DPG" debating, but not anyone else :lol Who cares anyways if we are debating? It's basketball related.

I've already answered the "why OJ, even with more talent" might not do as well as DG with the Spurs: Defense.

lakerhaterade
07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
I never said DG>OJ - again missing the point. I have been arguing that it's not laughable to debate OJ v DG especially with regards to a system. How you fail to see this after it being repeated multiple times is beyond me.

I also love how it's "DPG" debating, but not anyone else :lol Who cares anyways if we are debating? It's basketball related.

I've already answered the "why OJ, even with more talent" might not do as well as DG with the Spurs: Defense.

Okay friend, so answer me this question: who has the better team defense (better system catered to defense)?

After answering that: what team defense out of Memphis and San Antonio is able to mask an individual's defensive weaknesses (in doing so, inflating a player's defense stats leading to an overrating of that ability)

After answering those, integrate those takes into this discussion. I want to hear what the almighty DPG has to say.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 09:47 PM
It's funny how when it comes to me - I defend my positions, when it comes to others they just use hyperbole and over exaggerate their opponents stance and it's cool :lol.

But when they wake up, they gon' have their same lives and Ima just do me.

Samuel Eto'o
07-18-2012, 09:48 PM

mavs>spurs
07-18-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm gonna have fun this year every time OJ mayo has a good game :smokin

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Okay friend, so answer me this question: who has the better team defense (better system catered to defense)?

After answering that: what team defense out of Memphis and San Antonio is able to mask an individual's defensive weaknesses (in doing so, inflating a player's defense stats leading to an overrating of that ability)

After answering those, integrate those takes into this discussion. I want to hear what the almighty DPG has to say.

I don't really understand the question tbh so I'll just answer as directly as I can.

Memphis is a top 5-7 team defensively, so they are better than the Spurs defensively as a team. Their system is more condusive to hiding weaker players defensively.

The Spurs were pretty average/below average defensively (they were an offensive driven team), but by pretty much all metrics (defensive impact on the team and compared to players of their position) DG graded out pretty well and OJ did not.

Even if DG's defense is overrated by some - that really is not relevant to me. He is by all measures at least an above average defender and OJ is below average.

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 09:57 PM
True.

OJ Mayo shot much worse than James Harden even though he scored more points, true or false?

OJ Mayo has shot worse than DG in the playoffs, true or false?

OJ Mayo shot horrific against the Spurs they year MEM beat SA, true of false?

OJ Mayo lost to the same Clippers last year including a game 7 at home where he shot 1-11, true or false?

Sorry, was on a call (old person with SOB).

True to all, but it doesn't change the fact that I still want the higher-ceiling player--especially if the best coach/system in the league is coaching him. I think OJ would thrive in the Spurs run and gun offense.

Danny Green's defense--whatever you may think of it--does not bridge the gap from contender to champion or playoff team to contender. If he were to get injured you'd see more Manu and SJax...both better players.

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Again - the entire point of all of this was not to say DG>>>>>>>>>>OJ. It was to say it's not a laughable debate at all and by most overall measures they grade out as about equal depending on what you are looking for and even moreso when you talk systems. That's it. I don't get why people take it to extremes and ignore this and turn it into something else (i.e. "want to bet OJ Mayo completely dominates and scores more points!).

I guess I have finally said enough on the topic since Eto is counting my posts (even though it's all basketball related).

DPG21920
07-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Sorry, was on a call (old person with SOB).

True to all, but it doesn't change the fact that I still want the higher-ceiling player--especially if the best coach/system in the league is coaching him. I think OJ would thrive in the Spurs run and gun offense.

Danny Green's defense--whatever you may think of it--does not bridge the gap from contender to champion or playoff team to contender. If he were to get injured you'd see more Manu and SJax...both better players.

Well, the numbers from last year disagree and I don't see OJ (at least nothing to date has shown it - both playoffs and regular season) that he would shoot better than Danny (Danny is streaky, OJ just pretty consistently sucks and chucks IMO with rare flashes of a high ceiling).

I get why you would say OJ over DG. I am not arguing that is a bad take. I'm just arguing that saying DG over OJ, especially for the Spurs isn't some crazy thing like OP made it out to be.

That was my real last comment.

Samuel Eto'o
07-18-2012, 10:04 PM
That was my real last comment.

Sure you don't want to do 3 more and call it a clean sixty?

DeadlyDynasty
07-18-2012, 10:04 PM
OK, although I haven't seen many exaggerations today, tbh. Like I've stated, OJ comes off the bench for a half-court, inside-out, plodding team. The Spurs have a run-and-gun guard-friendly system that's catered for scorers. Pop is good at finding other people's garbage and working them into plug-and-play roles. Neal and Green are prime examples of this.

Agree to disagree, though.

Samuel Eto'o
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
:lol Neal, I forgot how much spurfan hyped him tbh.

Its kinda like Roger Mason...:lol...remember him? I can't believe some of those retards made their username after him :lmao