PDA

View Full Version : Spurs fans booed Tim Duncan as MVP???

Jelly
06-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I heard on a couple of news reports...don't have the links, but basically they said that when David Stern prepared to do the MVP presentation, the crowd was chanting "manu, manu" and when it became clear Duncan was going to get it, there was booing from the audience. Is this true?
Say it ain't so!

Summers
06-24-2005, 10:55 AM
I thought they were booing Stern, but I wasn't there. I can't imagine the crowd was booing Duncan.

samikeyp
06-24-2005, 10:55 AM
they were booing Stern.

DarrinS
06-24-2005, 10:56 AM
That makes me sick. :vomit

Some drunk woman last night was arguing with me about this too. If Tim didn't deserve it, then Bruce Bowen did.

Sorry Manu lovers. I love Manu too, but he completely disappeared for two games.

Tim and Bruce were the most consistent players.

Joaquin
06-24-2005, 10:57 AM
they were booing Stern.

Jelly
06-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I hope Timmy and the Spurs understood that, because at least two sports writers didn't as they basically used this incident as a story to show how disappointed fans were in Duncan.

Old School Chic
06-24-2005, 11:02 AM
The boooo's were for ugly Stern! :lol

But, like I said on the thread I just started... Robert Horry or Manu Ginobili should have the MVP trophy In their hands.

SpursWoman
06-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Funny...by that point I couldn't hear much of anything "boo'ing" or otherwise. :)

Sense
06-24-2005, 11:04 AM

But, like I said on the thread I just started... Robert Horry or Manu Ginobili should have the MVP trophy In their hands.

TIM Duncan DESERVED THE TROPHY, NOW STOP POSTING THREADS THat HE DIDNT BECAUSE HE WAS CHOSEN FOR A REASON..IF A PLAYER DECIDED A GAME OR 2 IN A FINALS SERIES, IT DOESNT MEAN HE WILL BE THE MVP..

TIM DUNCAN BROUGHT IT THROUGHOUT THE PLAYOFFS,AND HE GOT THE SPURS TEAM IN THE POSITION TO WIN ...

Just give it up with these, clearly he made some mistakes, but the truth is Tim Duncan did his thing every single night of the playoffs.....even if he had a bad shootin percentage...

Can you say the same about Horry?

He never had 20pt 10 rb games...

He's a role player not an MVP

NoMoneyDown
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM

Take any member off of the Spurs roster for this series besides Tim Duncan, and they would probably lose the series.

Take Tim Duncan off the Spurs roster and I would guarantee they would lose the series - in four games to boot.

Vashner
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
The boo's where for Stern noobs.. and it was only people without Class booing him.

Kinda made us look stupid.. If we can win 3 with him he's good luck now.

ObiwanGinobili
06-24-2005, 11:07 AM
those were Stern-directed booos.
Heck, I was booing him and I was at home.

SWC Bonfire
06-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Does anyone realize what a luxury it is to argue who is the MVP of the finals? I'm sure Timmy is thrilled beyond belief that he has teammates that are legitimate MVP candidates.

manubili
06-24-2005, 11:10 AM
It was obvious they were booing Stern! You just CAN't boo Timmy if you are a Spurs fan!!! Don't matter if you disagree with the MVP, you just don´t do such thing!
Even Manu would be embarrased if so.

Most probably it's all journalist bullshit.

CubanMustGo
06-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Yep. Journalists who dissed TD yesterday, didn't want to eat their words today, and used the "crowd" to try and make a point.

reddog 99
06-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Its Timmy's trophy until someone can pry it from his hands.

Manu knows what it will take.

Tim is the ultimate at consistent production.

Although I sentimentally (?) wanted Manu I think Tim said best when he said the whole TEAM is full of MVP's

atlfan25
06-24-2005, 11:28 AM
anyone who thinks tim didn't deserve is a moron.

IceColdBrewski
06-24-2005, 11:52 AM
They weren't booing Stern. They were booing the selection. But not Duncan himself.

I thought Manu deserved it more myself. Apparently a lot of other people did too.

timvp
06-24-2005, 11:52 AM
anyone who thinks tim didn't deserve is a moron.

:tu

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 11:53 AM
They were booing the selection. Not Duncan himself.

No they weren't. They were booing Stern.

WayDowntownBang
06-24-2005, 11:54 AM
1: Tim deserved it, hands down. Take him out, the Pistons win in 5-6 games. Timmy completely befuddled Ben and Tay in the paint, and didn't allow ANYTHING to happen down there.

2: Stern-booing is a favorite pasttime of mine, but remember, if he didn't learn from the NHL's mistakes, we'd have a lockout over our head. He may be a dickbag, but he got the papers signed.

IceColdBrewski
06-24-2005, 11:56 AM
No they weren't. They were booing Stern.

They were chanting Manu for a reason. Spurs fans don't give a fuck about stern. Why the hell would they boo him?

Think what you want.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Spurs fans boo Stern every single time he's at any event. It's been going on for years. A few fans yelled to Manu, that's it. There wasn't any major chanting of Manu. I was there on the floor, where were you?

SWC Bonfire
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
2: Stern-booing is a favorite pasttime of mine, but remember, if he didn't learn from the NHL's mistakes, we'd have a lockout over our head. He may be a dickbag, but he got the papers signed.

Good post. Stern didn't even grit his teeth this time... I guess he had euros signs in his eyes...:lol

The NBA management is finally realizing that teams like the pistons and spurs are going to win, and they might as well promote them as best they can worldwide. I think they are getting positive results from that, and the most telling sign was the $100k fine they levvied on Van Gundy for his ref comments. Don't want to piss off a huge audience and call the legitimacy of the league into question.

LilMissSPURfect
06-24-2005, 11:59 AM
I BOOEDDDDDD "Lakers vs Lakers STERN!"

he deserves it!

timvp
06-24-2005, 12:01 PM
They were chanting Manu for a reason. Spurs fans don't give a fuck about stern. Why the hell would they boo him?

Think what you want.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050624/i/r2454817181.jpg

Champion.

Again.

caspian
06-24-2005, 12:01 PM
they were booing Stern.

Sometimes analysts are so stupid and lame with their lack of vigilance for a story. I hate that.

MiNuS
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
1.game 4 with five minutes to play. Bench camera view with Pop and who?

2. who won game 1-2?

3. who won game 5 and who did the final assist?

This was probably one of the ugliest Championship wins for the Spurs.
But then again these Pistons were one of the best teams playing in the Finals
in the last 5 years.

CubanMustGo
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Sometimes analysts are so stupid and lame with their lack of vigilance for a story. I hate that.

There's a reason that the word "analyst" starts with "anal" ...

T Park
06-24-2005, 12:04 PM
None of this is possible without Tim Duncan.

Ginobili, doesn't get his 23 WITHOUT Tim Duncan.

If Ginobili wouldve had a better game 5?

Maybe he wins it.

But come on, Tim Duncan WAS the MVP last night.

To argue otherwise is lunacy.

ambchang
06-24-2005, 12:10 PM
I was actually arguing with my gf last night on Duncan's legitimacy in the Final's MVP. She pointed out how Duncan kept missing shots and FTs, but I countered with how Duncan had consistently decent to good output in every single game in the Finals. Ginobili was terrible in 3 and 4, and wasn't that great in 6. Ginobili is the X-Factor, but Duncan brought it everynight.
Also, noticed how the who Pistons defense collapsed on Duncan whenever he got the ball in the low post? That's carrying your team.
BTW, I would've voted for Bowen if I had the vote. Dude shut down Hamilton AND Billups.

JoeChalupa
06-24-2005, 12:13 PM

While understand those who think this way I would vote for TIM for MVP because while many concentrate on his mistakes it is his total game that makes him the MVP. Defense, rebounds, blocks, assists and being the go-to guy and demanding the double-team is what opened up Bruce and Manu to hit those 3's in the final minutes.

He almost single handedly kept the Spurs in the game during the 3rd and the team fed off of his leadership.

Tim IS the MVP.

smeagol
06-24-2005, 12:17 PM
I thought it was a toss-up between Manu and Timmy. I'm happy TD got it. It puts him in a very select group of players who won it three times or more. And he will surpase some of them (Shaq and Magic) 'cause he will win it again (mark my words).

Now Manu deserved it as much as Timmy (maybe a hair less than TD, but right there with him).

Manu played his ass off in games one and two. He was arguably the reason we won those game one, which was a close one until Gino went off.

He disappeared in games 3 and 4, but so did TD and the entire team for that matter.

He played well in games five and six. He sucked ass in the last two minutes of game six. And he played like an MVP in the most important and desisive game of the entire year: Game 7.

Timmy had some good games, but he was inconcistent. In game five he was huge up until the 4Q and OT. Then Horry took over.

But he showed the heart and balls of a true champ in game 7, just like Manu did.

As I said, I'm happy for TD. I know both him and Manu will have more chances to win the award.

But saying that Manu did not deserve it, or that Manu "doesn't get his 23 without Duncan" is stupid. Manu is Manu, with or with out TD. And whoever does not see THIS , is an idiot.

Athenea
06-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Duncan earned six MVP votes while Ginobili earned four in the balloting from nine national media members, plus an additional fan vote conducted via NBA.com.
NBA (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/finals_notebook_05.html)
Not bad, Manulito :elephant
But anyway...I wanted TD winning the award to STFU the haters, to have 1more trophy than Shaq (and counting..coz TD is young!), and most importantly to exorcise all his demons once and for all.

IceColdBrewski
06-24-2005, 12:45 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050624/i/r2454817181.jpg

Champion.

Again.

You don't have to remind me that we still won last night in spite of Parker.

timvp
06-24-2005, 12:50 PM
You don't have to remind me that we still won last night in spite of Parker.

Yeah, don't give Parker credit for shutting down Billups and Rip at different points of the game. Don't give Parker credit for being the only player on the team that could handle the Pistons defense and bring the ball up no matter who was guarding him. Don't give Parker credit for having only one turnover in the biggest game of the year. Don't give Parker credit for hitting the shot to start the run when the Spurs were down nine. Don't give Parker credit for being smart enough to constantly feed Duncan and Manu every play up the floor. Don't give Parker credit for having two championship trophies as a starting point guard at the age of 23.

Don't give Parker credit ... you never have before so don't start now.

:smokin

baseline bum
06-24-2005, 01:01 PM
How can you boo David Stern? He's one of the main reasons a small market team like the Spurs is able to compete and win 3 titles. Stern is just as responsible as Magic, Bird, and MJ for turning this league around, and he averted a lockout. He's the reason the Spurs can afford players like Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2005, 01:02 PM
What made Bowen on Billups possible was Parker being able to D up on Hamilton. In case Blewski wasn't paying attention that was rather important at the end of Game 5.

CalsonicKansei
06-24-2005, 01:04 PM
The fans were definitly booing that asshead Stern, who I fucking hate.

MadDog73
06-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Does anyone have the final numbers for the series?

Does Tim not lead in points? Does he not dominate the Stats in blocked shots and rebounds?

Tim is like Rip and Ben Wallace combined. He can score and defend. He is a master at both ends of the court. Manu is a great player, but not MVP worthy... yet.

I don't understand why some fans think Tim disappeared this series! Just becuase the Pistons tried their best to shut him down (and failed) doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the MVP. If anything, Tim deserves it more, by having to consistently beat two very physical Wallaces.

Dartherus
06-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Manu should have gotten at least the coMVP...

Think about it, over the 4 won games, in how many was Tim the key player? zero?

Isn't it true that manu was the key player for games 1-2-7 WON games?
the other victory wasn't Horry the key player?

How about cruch time? did you know that Manu was faar ahead Tim in hot moments?

I mean, been the go go guy in 3 of the 4 victories shouldn't have been more important than playing ok in lost games? shouldn't it have granted at least a coMVP?

nkdlunch
06-24-2005, 01:36 PM
they were booing Stern.

JoeChalupa
06-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Tim is always the key player, IMO. Just like Larry Brown said, "many don't see all the things that Tim does" and this is why he is the MVP.

I love Manu and give him all his props just like Duncan did but anyone who doesn't see that Tim is still the key to this team is, IMO, and idiot.

kskonn
06-24-2005, 01:41 PM
I really don't care who got the MVP. But I was there and as kori said, the Boos were for stern, once they announced Tim duncan as MVP the plasce erupted into cheers. and there was not any Manu Manu chants going on. Everyone was so happy that the spurs one the game that they could care less about MVP.

MadDog73
06-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Manu should have gotten at least the coMVP...

Think about it, over the 4 won games, in how many was Tim the key player? zero?

Isn't it true that manu was the key player for games 1-2-7 WON games?
the other victory wasn't Horry the key player?

How about cruch time? did you know that Manu was faar ahead Tim in hot moments?

I mean, been the go go guy in 3 of the 4 victories shouldn't have been more important than playing ok in lost games? shouldn't it have granted at least a coMVP?

I would say many Spurs were responsible for the win. Neither Tim or Manu could do it by themselves. Hitting a clutch shot makes you a great team mate, but not necessarily MVP. Again, Manu would not be in a position to win those games without Duncan.

I've said before, I hate the MVP award. Maybe Tim should've refuse it (if he even can - it might be against NBA rules). Spurs are about team play, not individual stats.

If the NBA gave out co-MVPs (never has happened in the 36 history of the MVP award), then, yeah, I think Tim and Manu both deserve it. But it just won't happen.

I'm sure that this same discussion lit up the Laker boards after the 3 Championships. After all, who was bigger down the stretch, Kobe or Shaq? Let's not create a feud where there isn't one. Tim respects and is grateful for Manu, and vice-versa. Spurs fans should do the same.

caŽlo
06-24-2005, 01:45 PM
why were they booing stern?

kskonn
06-24-2005, 01:48 PM
why were they booing stern?

It was only a handful of people booing him not the whole stadium. But I would assume they buy into the conspiracy theories that he rigs everything.

MadDog73
06-24-2005, 01:58 PM
It was only a handful of people booing him not the whole stadium. But I would assume they buy into the conspiracy theories that he rigs everything.

uh, if they think it's rigged in the Spurs favor, why are they booing him?

I think it's because he makes comments like "I would love to see a Laker v Laker final". I know he's joking, but you shouldn't joke about shit like that if you are the commish. Just say you don't care who makes it, as long as the games are good, or something...

sungo99
06-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Here are the +/- numbers for the entire Spurs Pistons series.

Ginobili, +31, -44, +75
Horry, +14, -27, +41
Parker, -6 , -7 , +1
Duncan, -8, -5, +3
Mohammed, -14, +1, -15
Bowen, -14, +1, -15
Barry, -25, 12, -37

Obvious
06-24-2005, 02:15 PM
"Duncan earned six MVP votes while Ginobili earned four in the balloting from nine national media members, plus an additional fan vote conducted via NBA.com."

Guess who goes to the additional fan vote?

Manu!! :elephant :elephant :elephant

No doubt, Manu is the people's MVP
That's why the boos.
They love Tim too but they prefer Manu this time.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2005, 02:16 PM
They weren't booing Stern. They were booing the selection. But not Duncan himself.
I see IceColdBrewski has been going to the fantasy boards for his facts again.

kskonn
06-24-2005, 02:30 PM
no I guarantee they were booing stern. They bood while he was on the jumbotron, then he started saying the stats of Duncan and everyone started cheering and when he said duncans name the whole place exploded.

kskonn
06-24-2005, 02:31 PM
uh, if they think it's rigged in the Spurs favor, why are they booing him?

I think it's because he makes comments like "I would love to see a Laker v Laker final". I know he's joking, but you shouldn't joke about shit like that if you are the commish. Just say you don't care who makes it, as long as the games are good, or something...

I agree, but there are still people, even on this board, that thinks the spurs win in spite of stern. They think the spurs will alway be fighting the nba as well as the team their playing.

milkyway21
06-25-2005, 12:47 AM

But, like I said on the thread I just started... Robert Horry or Manu Ginobili should have the MVP trophy In their hands.no way! Tim definitely won the title for us. Manu might score 40 but w/o Duncan, still Detroit wins the game. He did the defense, blks and lured defenders for Manu to take a open looks at the rim.

If Duncan had no 3 defenders on him I'm sure scoring 40 is possible. Besides, stats wise he was averaging more in pts/rbds/blks/game.

Booing Duncan would be too UNCLASSY AND an UNGRATEFUL for some fans to do so.

mike detroit
06-25-2005, 01:27 AM
don't feel bad, a lot of detroit fans booed stern last year too.

milkyway21
06-25-2005, 01:48 AM
don't feel bad, a lot of detroit fans booed stern last year too.i didn't feel bad bec. Spurs fans booed Stern. Who wants a commissioner saying the best finals is "Lakers vs the Lakers", anyway?

but i would if it was Tim they were booing, i'd be pissed off.
But reading this posts i don't think it was Timmy.

Tim & Manu Finals Stats for those who are interested......

Duncan and Ginobili
We compare the statistics of Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili during the NBA Finals.
Duncan Stat Ginobili
23.6 PPG 18.7
2.14 BPG 0.14
0.43 SPG 1.29
2.1 APG 4.0
14.1 RPG 5.9
.667 FT % .854
.419 FG % .494
.000 3FG % .387

Horry For 3!
06-25-2005, 02:12 AM
I doubt they were booing Duncan and I know for sure they were booing Stern.