PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used SalesGenie?

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 08:42 AM
For you sales pros out there, ever try it? I am going to try their free 3 day trial and wondering if any of you sales people have ever tried it and had success. I'm in educational sales but since it's slow this time of year, I'm trying to generate some revenue from the corporate side.

If not SalesGenie, are there any other online Lead databases that are pretty good?

Thanks

thispego
07-17-2012, 09:42 AM
lol sales

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 09:47 AM
lol sales

LOL Burritos Supreme

clambake
07-17-2012, 10:16 AM
lol sales

we're all in sales, and the product is us.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-17-2012, 10:33 AM
LOL Burritos Supreme

:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
07-17-2012, 10:33 AM
we're all in sales, and the product is us.

True dat

GoodOdor
07-17-2012, 11:53 AM
lol sales

Don't scoff, you could gain invaluable knowledge from this thread and bring it to your Taco bell superior's knowledge. That coveted assistant manager is suddenly within grasp.

BacktoBasics
07-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Expensive and not designed well for small business batch marketing. They will make your life a living hell if you try and get out of the required one year contract. You can try it but you better love it to death. I would probably look elsewhere.

cantthinkofanything
07-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Expensive and not designed well for small business batch marketing. They will make your life a living hell if you try and get out of the required one year contract. You can try it but you better love it to death. I would probably look elsewhere.

Isn't that what genies do though? They sucker you in but then there's always some catch that fucks you over in the end.

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Yeah, I already decided I'm not going to buy into this after the trial is over. Someone could easily just open a phone book and makes calls without having to pay. It sucks. I would have had a more productive day dropping in on school districts and dropping off some materials.

BacktoBasics
07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I already decided I'm not going to buy into this after the trial is over. Someone could easily just open a phone book and makes calls without having to pay. It sucks. I would have had a more productive day dropping in on school districts and dropping off some materials.
Are you self employed or otherwise?

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Are you self employed or otherwise?

No, I work for a company. Just was trying to bring in some corporate accounts while schools are in and out for the summer.

BacktoBasics
07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
No, I work for a company. Just was trying to bring in some corporate accounts while schools are in and out for the summer.For a company wide deal its not so bad but yeah its kinda like opening a phone book. I use a few good programs that are quite a bit different that SG but they're industry specific to my trade so they wouldn't help you.

I don't know of anything that would help. You company doesn't have a marketing department with generated leads?

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 04:15 PM
For a company wide deal its not so bad but yeah its kinda like opening a phone book. I use a few good programs that are quite a bit different that SG but they're industry specific to my trade so they wouldn't help you.

I don't know of anything that would help. You company doesn't have a marketing department with generated leads?

We do, but they are only geared toward schools since that is the foundation of our business. We basically have to prove to our president that we can be profitable targeting business and government offices before they commit marketing dollars towards that. Just all part of the game that sales is. I was wanting to snag some corporate leads just to generate some additional accounts.

cantthinkofanything
07-17-2012, 04:17 PM
We do, but they are only geared toward schools since that is the foundation of our business. We basically have to prove to our president that we can be profitable targeting business and government offices before they commit marketing dollars towards that. Just all part of the game that sales is. I was wanting to snag some corporate leads just to generate some additional accounts.

wha choo sellin for real?

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 04:21 PM
wha choo sellin for real?

Educational Solutions, like Interactive displays (whiteboards, projectors), Learner Response Systems, software, Professional Development, Digital Media Management, etc.

Not all of it would fit outside the classrooms, but some of the other Interactive Solutions get bought by businesses and government offices.

cantthinkofanything
07-17-2012, 04:23 PM
oh

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 04:24 PM
You'd be surprised at how much money some of these "poor" districts in Texas spend on technology.

cantthinkofanything
07-17-2012, 04:28 PM
You'd be surprised at how much money some of these "poor" districts in Texas spend on technology.

I don't doubt it at all. Not sure if it's not misguided at times.

But I think there's great potential with bringing the technology to the schools.

My daughter's school is requiring all of them to have IPads for next year with the ideas 1) having all their textbooks digital and 2) use interactive programs in the curriculum.

And guess what. After most of the parents already sprung for the Ipads, they won't have the text books available until next year. And my guess is they don't really have any concrete interactive activities in place.

BacktoBasics
07-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a noble profession.

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 04:35 PM

But I think there's great potential with bringing the technology to the schools.

My daughter's school is requiring all of them to have IPads for next year with the ideas 1) having all their textbooks digital and 2) use interactive programs in the curriculum.

And guess what. After most of the parents already sprung for the Ipads, they won't have the text books available until next year. And my guess is they don't really have any concrete interactive activities in place.

Yeah, the digital textbook initiative is taking off. It's so much cheaper for schools to buy digital media than textbooks. Plus you see a lot more of the one to one districts where they are buying new iPads for every single student, although I haven't heard too much about schools expecting the parents to pay for them. My daughter is in private school and they are talking about the iPads as well with the idea of us parents paying for them with the cost being rolled in the tuition. We'll see how that goes. But yeah, the classroom has definitely changed since you and I were in school.

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Sounds like a noble profession.

I love it. I worked in Telecom for 12 years and never felt any type of fulfillment at the end of a workday like I do now.

cantthinkofanything
07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah, the digital textbook initiative is taking off. It's so much cheaper for schools to buy digital media than textbooks. Plus you see a lot more of the one to one districts where they are buying new iPads for every single student, although I haven't hard too much about schools expecting the parents to pay. My daughter is in private school and they are talking about the iPads as well with the idea of us parents paying for them with the cost being rolled in the tuition. We'll see how that goes. But yeah, the classroom has definitely changed since you and I were in school.

we'll see how it goes. of course the kids are excited about it. but I'm also concerned about the lack of monitoring by parents of what their kids are doing with the device at home with regards to the internet.

Yeah...we're having to pay for them up front but I would have rather it just get rolled into the tuition and the school purchase all the same model. Now you've got some kids with Ipad2 already griping because someone else got the new Ipad.

BacktoBasics
07-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I love it. I worked in Telecom for 12 years and never felt any type of fulfillment at the end of a workday like I do now.Career fulfillment is exactly why I went on my own. I thinks its great you can do well in outbound sales. Having done sales my whole life I know how easy it can be to burn out and resent people.

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 04:43 PM
we'll see how it goes. of course the kids are excited about it. but I'm also concerned about the lack of monitoring by parents of what their kids are doing with the device at home with regards to the internet.

Yeah...we're having to pay for them up front but I would have rather it just get rolled into the tuition and the school purchase all the same model. Now you've got some kids with Ipad2 already griping because someone else got the new Ipad.

That's the catch-22 right there. Being in a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) learning environment can lead to internet dangers where some students wouldn't otherwise be exposed to it but at the same time, it levels the playing field in the classroom for all the students. Parents just need to be involved more and more in their students learning and learning tools.

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Career fulfillment is exactly why I went on my own. I thinks its great you can do well in outbound sales. Having done sales my whole life I know how easy it can be to burn out and resent people.

What line of work are you in?

BacktoBasics
07-17-2012, 04:47 PM
What line of work are you in?I own a service business. Predominantly tile restoration, natural stone restoration, polishing and staining. Professional carpet cleaning, construction clean up and hording. We also have a number of higher end janitorial accounts.

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 04:50 PM
I own a service business. Predominantly tile restoration, natural stone restoration, polishing and staining. Professional carpet cleaning, construction clean up and hording. We also have a number of higher end janitorial accounts.

I wish I knew a trade like that. That is big money up here in the Metroplex.

BacktoBasics
07-17-2012, 04:58 PM
I wish I knew a trade like that. That is big money up here in the Metroplex.No joke. Up in north concrete work and natural stone like terrazzo, travertine and sandstone can bring up to 2 bucks a sqft and saltillo tile brings nearly 4 bucks a sqft if you're good. Sometimes even more.

I'm in a small market but we can still quote about 80% of those prices and make a killing.

Its been nice having the ability to sell the company and the quality over the desperation of needing to earn a commission. We've also been able to employ a number of people for janitorial work and pay them a lot high wage than most. I always hated seeing these guys work their asses off for near minimum wage.

The most important thing is the free time. I no longer have to work holidays, nights and weekends. A lot of times I'll even end up with a few days off during the week.

ploto
07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Technology will never replace a good teacher no matter how good it may be. For some classes it will simply turn into playing games.

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Technology will never replace a good teacher no matter how good it may be. For some classes it will simply turn into playing games.

That isn't the intent. It's implementing technology as a tool to enhance the learning experience and have kids actively engaged in learning.

ploto
07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
It's implementing technology as a tool to enhance the learning experience and have kids actively engaged in learning.

I understand your sales pitch, but:

If the teachers have no clue how properly to use it, then it does no good. You can buy all the technology you want, but few schools use it the right way. Like those smartboards you sell: nine out of ten teachers at my kid's school have no clue how to use them despite the school offering training for two years. They use them as a screen on which to project plain PowerPoints. The kids are no more engaged and the school wasted a lot of money so they could say they had the technology. All kids need is a good teacher to be engaged in learning.

As for the iPads, it is a nice sounding fad, but schools are not properly prepared for their implementation. They have not done due diligence in investigating if they are even feasible for the given circumstance.

Even though Apple's first iPad textbooks will sell for $15 or less, they won't be any less expensive for schools than paper books. Vineet Madan, head McGraw-Hill Higher Education eLabs, tells Mashable that iBooks will be sold to schools rather than directly to students, but that schools will grant students access to those books through their personal IDs.

In other words, even if a school reuses iPads, it won't be able to reuse books. The books will be kept on individual students' iTunes accounts.

Schools reuse the same paper book for about five years, and those books usually cost about $75. Because a new book will be purchased every year, the iBook version still costs $75 for five years.

Relying on iBooks as textbooks isn't a feasible option for most public schools at the moment because Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, McGraw-Hill and Pearson have each dedicated just a small number of titles each. Madan puts the typical cycle for textbook approval in most states at about five years.

Unless the school happens to be using one of the selected titles, it can't use iBooks yet. Most other options for digital textbooks that can be read on an iPad --including Coursesmart, Kno, Chegg and Inkling — focus on books for higher education.

Unless major publishers decide to add more of their titles to iBooks, it won't be a feasible default reader in most schools. Madan says that McGraw has already committed to adding five additional titles before September, but it will commit to additional titles based on uptake...

In a FTC 2010 survey of the schools in its program for discounted telecommunications, almost 80% said their Internet connections don't fully meet their current needs.

"It's not atypical to see one classroom of students on connected devices bring down a network," Madan says.

Before schools introduce connected devices, many of them will need to introduce better Internet connections...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/20/tech/innovation/ipad-wont-transform-education/index.html

thispego
07-17-2012, 09:49 PM

:lmao are you fuckin kidding me??

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
I understand your sales pitch, but:

If the teachers have no clue how properly to use it, then it does no good. You can buy all the technology you want, but few schools use it the right way. Like those smartboards you sell: nine out of ten teachers at my kid's school have no clue how to use them despite the school offering training for two years. They use them as a screen on which to project plain PowerPoints. The kids are no more engaged and the school wasted a lot of money so they could say they had the technology. All kids need is a good teacher to be engaged in learning.

As for the iPads, it is a nice sounding fad, but schools are not properly prepared for their implementation. They have not done due diligence in investigating if they are even feasible for the given circumstance.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/20/tech/innovation/ipad-wont-transform-education/index.html

If teachers aren't using their boards, then that's the districts fault for not getting them proper training and the company for not providing effective Professional Development.

ploto
07-17-2012, 11:24 PM
If teachers aren't using their boards, then that's the districts fault for not getting them proper training and the company for not providing effective Professional Development.

Did you read - 2 years of training that they all had to attend. The teachers do not want to use them. Same story I know at other schools. Schools buy a lot of technology and only a few teachers use it. I know 2 teachers who use the Quizdom set they bought.

I know all about this because my child did a huge environmental science project at his school. He showed the school all the ways they could save paper by using technology. He would ask and teachers would not even let him print on both sides for assignments yet alone submit it electronically. I still remember a science teacher fighting the curriculum committee to allow students to create electronic type science projects, PP, website... Instead of those awful tri-fold boards. He had my child do his electronically to show the committee of what the students were capable but teachers are resistant to change or doing something different than what they have done for years.

SpurinDallas
07-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Did you read - 2 years of training that they all had to attend. The teachers do not want to use them.

I haven't run into any teachers that don't want some type of technology in the classroom. For me, it's always teachers want more, but the school or district can't afford anymore.

ploto
07-17-2012, 11:39 PM
I haven't run into any teachers that don't want some type of technology in the classroom. For me, it's always teachers want more, but the school or district can't afford anymore.

They say they want it but many do want to put in the time to learn how to use it and to change the way they have been teaching for years. It takes time and effort to learn something new. Much easier to have the kids read the same old book and do the same old worksheets.

Funny thing- I even told the school. If they had students do more projects electronically there would be less of the parents doing it for them. Because the kids know more than the parents often do.