PDA

View Full Version : Kids sports in San Antonio

Kori Ellis
07-17-2012, 10:33 PM
So...

I posted a while back about putting my almost 3 year old daughter in tennis lessons, which we are still gong to do, but I had some other kids sports questions.

Did/do any of you who live in San Antonio put your kids in any other sports when they were 3 or 4? Tee ball? Soccer? Gymnastics? Martial arts?

Any good (or bad) experiences with any leagues or programs that you want to share?

Thanks,

Kori

ploto
07-17-2012, 11:47 PM
My main experiences with little kids and team sports were the type where the dad was the coach and his kid was the ball hog! My child enjoyed practice much more than the games. We went more for individual sports after that. We had a great experience at the summer golf camp at La Cantera but he had to be 7.

Nathan89
07-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Being the big Bonner fans that your kids are they probably won't be able to perform in the playoffs. Prepare them for that failure before hand.

mercos
07-18-2012, 01:45 AM
I have no experience with local institutions, but I would recommend something martial arts related. Aside from giving your children the ability to defend themselves, martial arts can help kids develop discipline, and self confidence. Finding a good studio is important though, sorry I can't help with that. Good luck, and I hope your little girl enjoys whatever she gets into.

DMC
07-18-2012, 09:20 AM
http://kimsacta.com/specials/files/minitotad_6-22-12.jpg

This is a good school. I attended this school from 1989 until I moved to Austin. It's still around.

I recommend it if you go that route.

Drachen
07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I have no experience with local institutions, but I would recommend something martial arts related. Aside from giving your children the ability to defend themselves, martial arts can help kids develop discipline, and self confidence. Finding a good studio is important though, sorry I can't help with that. Good luck, and I hope your little girl enjoys whatever she gets into.

My buddy went to steve ashcraft's texas blackbelt institute. He is now a Doctor. Coincidence? You decide.

I. Hustle
07-18-2012, 10:35 AM
I coach my kid's soccer team with the Y. She is not a ballhog though lol, I'm just happy to get her out there. 3-4 year olds

mrsmaalox
07-18-2012, 10:53 AM
My personal experience has been that "parent volunteer coached" teams are more politics than fun and learning. When they are real young it's best, but the coach's kid ball hog stuff begins about school age, and continues until school sports takes over and that's a whole different game of politics :lol It's worse on the boys teams, but on girls teams the "mean girls" thing starts about school age too. My daughter did one season of "girls only" soccer and decided she would much rather be the only girl on a boys team than put up with snark.

But as for recommendations, my daughter did gymnastics at Flip City when we first moved here. She was an extreme preemie and had some developmental delays and that was what was prescribed by the developmental pediatricans. She actually started at age 3 when we lived in Maryland and before we came here Flip City was recommended by her instructor. She's 16 now, still does gymnastics (followed her coach to a different facility) but we had lots of good years at Flip City. We got to know the owners well, became good friends socially and always put our boys on same teams for sports and they are all still great friends.

I think the lessons thing is better than the team thing for younger kids. My youngest started martial arts at age 4 and it was all positive for him.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks to everyone for the martial arts info. I'm considering it for one of my daughters and one of my sons.

And thanks for the gymnastics info, mrsmaalox. That's what I'm considering for one of my daughters. I'm thinking about dance too.

I coach my kid's soccer team with the Y. She is not a ballhog though lol, I'm just happy to get her out there. 3-4 year olds

Thanks. I think I'm going to wait until early next year for soccer. After Feb 2013, all four of our kids will be either 3 or 4. So at that point, I might want to try to put them all on the same soccer team.

I. Hustle
07-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Yeah, next year my baby will be old enough and I am putting both girls on a team.
The Y is good at that age, for the most part the coaches just teach them the bare minimum and let them have fun.

Koolaid_Man
07-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for the martial arts info. I'm considering it for one of my daughters and one of my sons.

And thanks for the gymnastics info, mrsmaalox. That's what I'm considering for one of my daughters. I'm thinking about dance too.

Thanks. I think I'm going to wait until early next year for soccer. After Feb 2013, all four of our kids will be either 3 or 4. So at that point, I might want to try to put them all on the same soccer team.

Hey Lil Keke - I'm no expert and I'm childless but I am an advanced thinker....Dance and Cheer will be the biggest mistakes of your life...don't ever let kids become cheerleaders or dancers...it does nothing to get them involved in the game..and it forces them to become nothing but side line watchers....

DMC
07-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey Lil Keke - I'm no expert and I'm childless but I am an advanced thinker....Dance and Cheer will be the biggest mistakes of your life...don't ever let kids become cheerleaders or dancers...it does nothing to get them involved in the game..and it forces them to become nothing but side line watchers....

Which did you take? :lol

CubanMustGo
07-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Both, apparently.

CuckingFunt
07-19-2012, 08:09 PM

What sidelines are dancers on, exactly?

CuckingFunt
07-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Incidentally, I don't have kids, but would strongly advise towards dance since I've been doing it since I was three. And I know it can be a controversial choice, but I wouldn't limit it to just your girls. Dance is a great foundation for any other sport your son might eventually gravitate toward.

dirk4mvp
07-19-2012, 08:23 PM
eating

ashbeeigh
07-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Incidentally, I don't have kids, but would strongly advise towards dance since I've been doing it since I was three. And I know it can be a controversial choice, but I wouldn't limit it to just your girls. Dance is a great foundation for any other sport your son might eventually gravitate toward.

I was going to suggest this as well. And watching the little ones is priceless at their recitals.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-19-2012, 09:14 PM
eating
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/364741/robinlopez.gif

dirk4mvp
07-20-2012, 01:31 AM
http://gifsoup.com/view3/2024739/zyzz-muzz-o.gif

The Reckoning
07-20-2012, 01:37 AM
on the martial arts...

i punched out a 7 year old when i was 5 after he took my baseball bat and threatened to hit me with it then his parents threatened to sue. i was a yellow belt.

you've been warned.

Koolaid_Man
07-20-2012, 07:03 AM

I don't get it..why are you harassing me :hat

Koolaid_Man
07-20-2012, 07:09 AM
I was going to suggest this as well. And watching the little ones is priceless at their recitals.

Would you rather your daughter be an Olympic Hero...sort of like Hope Solo or a disney rider like Kim Kardashian...true they might look cute as kids in dance but what is it really teaching them...certainly not how to be strong, independent, thinking women...I think you mean well but your view point seems to be outdated.

Now for what I really wanted to compliment you on...You are aging very gracefully..I love your cute little face...with all due respect you're most certainly an excellent MILF fantasy :toast

mrsmaalox
07-20-2012, 05:23 PM

Absolutely! The video of my daughter's first 3 yr old recital (tap dancing to "Rockin' Robin" in a red feather and sequin costume) has brought our family hours and hours of enjoyment over the years, much to her chagrin ;)

Soul_Patch
07-20-2012, 08:56 PM
So...

I posted a while back about putting my almost 3 year old daughter in tennis lessons, which we are still gong to do, but I had some other kids sports questions.

Did/do any of you who live in San Antonio put your kids in any other sports when they were 3 or 4? Tee ball? Soccer? Gymnastics? Martial arts?

Any good (or bad) experiences with any leagues or programs that you want to share?

Thanks,

Kori

My son has been with i9 Sports for a while. They are a great organization and he loves it. He has played flag football (started at 3), T-ball earlier this year at 4 years old, and is currently in basketball. I coached his T-ball team and will coach his next T-ball team in the fall. He has a ton of fun. It is hilarious watching 4 year olds play full court basketball...lol...they have rules to make it more realistic for the young kids, so it is fun for them.

http://www.i9sports.com/HomePage.aspx?area=san-antonio-northwest-lackland&franchise=245

Kori Ellis
07-20-2012, 10:32 PM
There's nothing wrong with dance, Kool. My sister and I took ballet, tap and jazz dance when we were little (along with baton twirling -- yes, that was a class -- and gymnastics).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. :toast I really appreciate it. I think we are going to go for soccer or flag football for my oldest son, who is four (he can play basketball on the court in our backyard.)

My daughter who turns 3 soon -- probably private one-on-one tennis and martial arts.

The other two are too young still.

eating
Competitive eating or run-of-the-mill San Antonio eating? I'm sure they have classes for both.

dirk4mvp
07-21-2012, 01:18 AM
I <3 you kori.

ashbeeigh
07-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Would you rather your daughter be an Olympic Hero...sort of like Hope Solo or a disney rider like Kim Kardashian...true they might look cute as kids in dance but what is it really teaching them...certainly not how to be strong, independent, thinking women...I think you mean well but your view point seems to be outdated.

Now for what I really wanted to compliment you on...You are aging very gracefully..I love your cute little face...with all due respect you're most certainly an excellent MILF fantasy :toast

Oh god. So much wrong with what you have just said in your first paragraph. Dancing creates a sense of self confidence and team work in girls. Even if they are horrible (I was) it's like you're part of a team and something matters. It instills a sense of discipline as well as the girls continue to dance. And sure, some of the dancers in high school are kind of bitches, but if you keep going and are really good it could lead to different things like owning your own business (Studio 10 and Earl Cobbe are both female owned businsses that have been around the northside since at least the early 90s and you have haven't lived on the northwest side if you haven't taken at least one class with one of them).

And lol on that last paragraph. Okay.

And Kori, what about swimming? Y'all have a pool right? How about SA Wave or something? Whoops. You have to be seven to do that. Nevermind.

Koolaid_Man
07-21-2012, 12:02 PM
There's nothing wrong with dance, Kool. My sister and I took ballet, tap and jazz dance when we were little (along with baton twirling -- yes, that was a class -- and gymnastics).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. :toast I really appreciate it. I think we are going to go for soccer or flag football for my oldest son, who is four (he can play basketball on the court in our backyard.)

My daughter who turns 3 soon -- probably private one-on-one tennis and martial arts.

The other two are too young still.

Competitive eating or run-of-the-mill San Antonio eating? I'm sure they have classes for both.

Let me kill 2 birds with one stone..this is for Kori and Ashbeigh...listen ladies....

Kori I know you're an award winning author and all...:lol and Ashbeeigh is a well respected poster and activist but listen to Kool for a change...if you want your girls to learn to dance and cheer then teach them at home...you're not gonna stop them from listening to pop music anyway...my suggestion is rooted in the vanity of the dance and cheer culture...you don't want you're kids caught up in that..every time I see these MSNBC dance, cheer, or modeling shows for kids I think it's disturbing...

Why not have them do something more character building, something that builds motor skills like Gymnastics..., swim, track and field, etc...something that with hard work could lead to them qualifying at the junior Olympics or something...I have a little female cousin that lives in Vegas and she's qualified for Junior Nationals in her sport....Cheer and Dance doesn't get them there...guys treat them like sluts as they get older and I'm sure that's not what you want for your kids...

I'm sure it was ok for you ladies back in the day but we're in the 21st century now...there's so much more than just dance... come on ladies I'm really surprised you're considering it...I'm not saying that dance and cheer is all evil I just think if you're going to spend the time to develop them make it worthwhile and substantive..

ok that's all

ok that's all....

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Let me kill 2 birds with one stone..this is for Kori and Ashbeigh...listen ladies....

Kori I know you're an award winning author and all...:lol and Ashbeeigh is a well respected poster and activist but listen to Kool for a change...if you want your girls to learn to dance and cheer then teach them at home...you're not gonna stop them from listening to pop music anyway...my suggestion is rooted in the vanity of the dance and cheer culture...you don't want you're kids caught up in that..every time I see these MSNBC dance, cheer, or modeling shows for kids I think it's disturbing...

Why not have them do something more character building, something that builds motor skills like Gymnastics..., swim, track and field, etc...something that with hard work could lead to them qualifying at the junior Olympics or something...I have a little female cousin that lives in Vegas and she's qualified for Junior Nationals in her sport....Cheer and Dance doesn't get them there...guys treat them like sluts as they get older and I'm sure that's not what you want for your kids...

I'm sure it was ok for you ladies back in the day but we're in the 21st century now...there's so much more than just dance... come on ladies I'm really surprised you're considering it...I'm not saying that dance and cheer is all evil I just think if you're going to spend the time to develop them make it worthwhile and substantive..

ok that's all

ok that's all....

The fact you keep lumping dance with cheer leads me to believe you don't know what dance actually is.

The fact you're you leads me to believe you're just trolling, however, so have at it.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2012, 11:19 PM

ok that's all

ok that's all....

Stop blabbering. I said I was putting my daughter in tennis and karate. But I don't think there's anything wrong with dance.

ashbeeigh
07-22-2012, 08:04 AM

ok that's all

ok that's all....

:lol at the bolded part. I'm done arguing about this. My little girls are going to dance the second they can say "tutu" and no one is going to stop me.

I. Hustle
07-22-2012, 08:32 AM
My little girl is in a dance class too and they aren't like what you see on tv. The kid loves to dance and as long as she enjoys it I'll keep her in. The moment she doesn't want to do it I'll take her out.
I put them in everything I can and will always encourage whatever positive interests they have.

That's my nontrolling post for the week.

I. Hustle
07-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Lol @ Juggs being a MILF

Koolaid_Man
07-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Stop blabbering. I said I was putting my daughter in tennis and karate. But I don't think there's anything wrong with dance.

blabbering?....ahh I tell ya...I just love the elitism :toast but you're right nothing wrong with dance...so go ahead and enroll the boys in it too...

Koolaid_Man
07-22-2012, 09:25 AM
:lol at the bolded part. I'm done arguing about this. My little girls are going to dance the second they can say "tutu" and no one is going to stop me.

:lol be my guest..no one's gonna stop you obviously...but just remember dance is the easy way out...but hey who cares they'll look cute right?

Koolaid_Man
07-22-2012, 09:43 AM
The fact you keep lumping dance with cheer leads me to believe you don't know what dance actually is.

The fact you're you leads me to believe you're just trolling, however, so have at it.

The fact that you're curious about engaging me but afraid to tells me you're not an independent thinker but rather a mass follower...:lol

I may not know a lot about dance..I don't have kids but what I can surmise is that most parents enroll their kids in it because they think it's cute and funny and want to see video footage of their kids dancing yrs from now...I'm not trying to be controversial or inflammatory but for me (given my limited knowledge on the subject) the reality is dance will usually get you no where in life beyond being a Cheerleader for the Dallas Cowboys LA Lakers...maybe with all the reality TV shows they could land a gig on one of the popular Dance shows...

I'd prefer my kid (even if they didn't make it) to do something that would challenge them to be the next Tiger Woods, Hope Solo, Mary Lou Retton, Nadia Comaneci, Shawn Johnson, or Michael Phelps...

Their could also be financial considerations for some parents and so they settle on dance...that's fine if that's the case but don't sell me on the notion that dance will lead them somewhere in life or get them on a cereal box for winning Olympic gold because it ain't happening...

Dance is by and large seems a colossal waste of time...

ashbeeigh
07-22-2012, 10:44 AM
:lol be my guest..no one's gonna stop you obviously...but just remember dance is the easy way out...but hey who cares they'll look cute right?

Okay. Not done arguing. A 3 year old is meant to be cute. They are a toddler. They are more concerned about toys and who is going to be the next person to pick them up than being an independent thinker. Come on. Don't be stupid.

Koolaid_Man
07-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Okay. Not done arguing. A 3 year old is meant to be cute. They are a toddler. They are more concerned about toys and who is going to be the next person to pick them up than being an independent thinker. Come on. Don't be stupid.

Hey I apologize if it seemed like I was trying to malign or be critical of those who choose dance...I just wouldn't based on my perceptions of it..should I ever have kids I'll probably be more of a parent like Tiger Woods dad or Venus and Serena's dad which is install a strong desire in an actual sport and then drive them to excellence.

and as for your toys comments..I guess I'm a bit different in my thinking than most...I think toys in general (in many cases not all) along with too many cartoons feed into kids having a false sense of reality at a very early age...camping, hiking, water sports, or even pony equestrian, are a much more effective way to stimulate them from early on...

ashbeeigh
07-22-2012, 01:01 PM
and as for your toys comments..I guess I'm a bit different in my thinking than most...I think toys in general (in many cases not all) along with too many cartoons feed into kids having a false sense of reality at a very early age...camping, hiking, water sports, or even pony equestrian, are a much more effective way to stimulate them from early on...

Because when you're cooking dinner on a rainy summer evening the best think to tell a 3 year old is, 'Hey go outside and ride your pony." instead of handing them some blocks while they sit on the floor watching you cook.

I. Hustle
07-22-2012, 01:20 PM
It's hilarious when people without kid's try to give parental advice. Either way they just sound like idiots.

Koolaid_Man
07-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Because when you're cooking dinner on a rainy summer evening the best think to tell a 3 year old is, 'Hey go outside and ride your pony." instead of handing them some blocks while they sit on the floor watching you cook.

ashbeeigh ur funny...why do you peddle the obvious as common sense..common you know better than that...it's also known as being the master of the obvious...

I don't disagree that's why I prefaced my comments with - in so many words 'for the most part', or 'in general'. Rainy days are amongst a certain type of day that could be an exception or should be...blocks, books, puzzles, word games, whatever...but all those fantasy toys should probably be eliminated.

From 0- to about 5 yrs of age especially (8 if you want an exceptional kid) they should be on virtual tonker toy and barbie doll lock-down; generally speaking..Once they get past 8 I think that's a good age to star letting them be more normal..after the real brain development stage has passed..and after they can discern real from fiction.

When they watch commercials teach them how to watch the commercial in such a way as to understand how mass marketing and how the deception of the commercial really works and how it targets them..they'll be much better adults because of this...:lol

and lastly never tell them they're smart...well maybe every blue moon...you want to tell them congrats or that you're proud of them based on how hard they work not how pretty or smart they are...you want the emphasis to be on the effort not necessarily the result...this is how you give them the mental and competitive edge. Or you could raise them the traditional way that every other parent does and they'll be ok - just middle of the road adults not but exceptional...mainly from an academic standpoint...

and for those saying I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have kids..please..just because you had wicked sex :lol or not and conceived doesn't mean you know what it takes to be a good or exceptional parent...My view is that if you can mix some of work ethic of Gen X people with the common sense of the Gen Y crowd with the ambition of the Gen X people...your kids should grow up to be more than successful..often times well meaning people like you and Kori get over protective and don't realize the generational differences between these groups.. and you tend to teach within the prisms of your generation mainly yesteryear experiences...

I'd be good with kids but not sure if that lifestyle is for me..I love sinning more than I love kids :lol

I. Hustle
07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
For those of you saying it? I said it dumbass.

Koolaid_Man
07-22-2012, 06:42 PM
For those of you saying it? I said it dumbass.

Very cerebral of you :lol

ploto
07-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Quite obvious someone has no clue of the demands of studying ballet for 15 years.

TheRealCB
07-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Took up Karate when I was 7 but stopped after breaking my arm,it scared the crap out of me...I realize this was one of the biggest mistakes in my life.

I. Hustle
07-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Very cerebral of you :lol

Point was, if you are going to come at me then come at me. Don't pussy foot.

xellos88330
07-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Lots of football players take ballet/dance lessons. It is all about body control, flexibility and balance. That is useful for ANY sport you play. It definitely gives a competitive edge. Male ballet dancers can jump friggin high dude.

mrsmaalox
07-23-2012, 11:33 AM
It's hilarious when people without kid's try to give parental advice. Either way they just sound like idiots.

I like it when they say shit like "When I have kids, it's going to be like this.." and then plan it all out! Uh huh :lol

But everyone is entitled to their opinion. Too bad having an opinion doesn't mean you know what you are talking about.

marini martini
07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Don't worry, you'll know right away if your darling little tu-tu'ed toddler likes dance or not. When they stare out at the audience and freeze in horror, then have to be dragged off the stage screaming & crying uncontrollably, it's a sure sign you ain't gonna live vicariously through their dance career!:lol

ploto
09-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Kori -- I saw this and thought of you. I do not know anything about it personally. I think they have things for 2 year olds.

http://www.alamototsports.com/