PDA

View Full Version : Working out.

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 02:13 PM
I started a regimen a week ago that includes a healthy, low fat meal plan and have cut the caffeine from my diet overall. I've set myself a goal to lose about 25 pounds and I think this shouldn't be too hard. My overall goal besides improved health is also to tone up a bit as I have gotten way off course the past couple of years with kids and work being crazy.

My question for you workout folks is specifically about supplements. Do y'all take anything besides maybe protein shakes or creatine for muscle repair? In the past I would drink a protein shake with creatine and it worked wonders, but often would make me feel sick to the point where I cut the creatine altogether.

Any suggestions out there?

Avante
07-18-2012, 02:23 PM
I started a regimen a week ago that includes a healthy, low fat meal plan and have cut the caffeine from my diet overall. I've set myself a goal to lose about 25 pounds and I think this shouldn't be too hard. My overall goal besides improved health is also to tone up a bit as I have gotten way off course the past couple of years with kids and work being crazy.

My question for you workout folks is specifically about supplements. Do y'all take anything besides maybe protein shakes or creatine for muscle repair? In the past I would drink a protein shake with creatine and it worked wonders, but often would make me feel sick to the point where I cut the creatine altogether.

Any suggestions out there?

You need B-Complex. I also go with a multi min/multi vit. Yep, don't get carried away with all that it is $$$$$$ and if you eat right you'll be ok.

One thing you might want to try is eating the bulk of you calorie intake early in the day instead of later in the day. That way you'll burn off the calories because you're more active early on.

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 02:26 PM
You need B-Complex. I also go with a multi min/multi vit. Yep, don't get carried away with all that it is $$$$$$ and if you eat right you'll be ok.

One thing you might want to try is eating the bulk of you calorie intake early in the day instead of later in the day. That way you'll burn off the calories because you're more active early on.

Good point. That's where I was getting at. If I am taking in protein through my diet and eating plenty of greens, do I really need to invest in supplements other than a multi-vitamin? I think you answered my question on that. Thanks. :toast

Avante
07-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Good point. That's where I was getting at. If I am taking in protein through my diet and eating plenty of greens, do I really need to invest in supplements other than a multi-vitamin? I think you answered my question on that. Thanks. :toast

It's all about how you feel. If you're sluggish, tired all the time, something is missing. If you feel great, energetic no need to do anything but what you're doing.

Weights? Running?

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 02:43 PM
It's all about how you feel. If you're sluggish, tired all the time, something is missing. If you feel great, energetic no need to do anything but what you're doing.

Weights? Running?

Right now, strictly cardio until I can get down to my desired weight, then I'll do some weight lifting. I currently weigh 240 and want to get down to 215 or at least drop my body fat. If I stay at 220-225 with a healthy body fat % and toned again, then I would be happy with the results. For cardio, I run and play basketball.

CavsSuperFan
07-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Meals…Breakfast=Heavy…Lunch= Medium…Dinner=Light…I only eat vegetables after 3 PM…(If you are in your 20’s it really does not matter, an active person will burn it all up)…

Supplements...One multi vitamin... “MAYBE” a B Complex…If you are over 40 a prescription for Andro-Gel is easy to come by…

lebomb
07-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Right now, strictly cardio until I can get down to my desired weight, then I'll do some weight lifting. I currently weigh 240 and want to get down to 215 or at least drop my body fat. If I stay at 220-225 with a healthy body fat % and toned again, then I would be happy with the results. For cardio, I run and play basketball.

You FAT BASTARD!!!!! Just kidding......you are going about it the right way, but I would also lift weights.....not heavy, but lots of reps. You will burn fat and also start toning/building muscles. I do cardio and lift weights at the same time.

Good Luck!!!! :toast

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 02:50 PM
You FAT BASTARD!!!!! Just kidding......you are going about it the right way, but I would also lift weights.....not heavy, but lots of reps. You will burn fat and also start toning/building muscles. I do cardio and lift weights at the same time.

Good Luck!!!! :toast

HAHA, I'm 6'1" so I don't look morbidly obese. :lol

Yeah, as far as the weights, I'm gonna do what I used to do with a trainer over 10 years ago, light weights, but lots of reps, to the point of exhaustion. Worked wonders but I'd feel like puking when I was done.

z0sa
07-18-2012, 02:51 PM
215? Are you a tall, wide guy, or do something that requires tons of heavy lifting/pulling/pushing? Otherwise, you probably want to lose closer to 45+ pounds before you think about gaining more muscle mass, tbh.

SpurinDallas
Meals…Breakfast=Heavy…Lunch= Medium…Dinner=Light…I only eat vegetables after 3 PM…(If you are in your 20’s it really does not matter, an active person will burn it all up)…

Supplements...One multi vitamin... “MAYBE” a B Complex…If you are over 40 a prescription for Andro-Gel is easy to come by…

Thanks for this. What about snacking in between meals?

Avante

Once you starting lifting..

Light weight, 5 sets, I go with 15-12-10-8-8 reps.

After 6 months or add weight, 4 sets

After 6 months add weight...12-10-8

That will lay a solid foundation to build on.

leemajors
07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
I prefer liquid vitamins to pills. You could just brew your own kombucha and get plenty of b-vitamins from that. Skip the weights, body weight exercises are much more practical and you can do them at home.

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
I prefer liquid vitamins to pills. You could just brew your own kombucha and get plenty of b-vitamins from that. Skip the weights, body weight exercises are much more practical and you can do them at home.

Body weights, like wearing a weighted vest while jogging? Something like that?

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Once you starting lifting..

Light weight, 5 sets, I go with 15-12-10-8-8 reps.

After 6 months or add weight, 4 sets

After 6 months add weight...12-10-8

That will lay a solid foundation to build on.

Noted. Thanks!

leemajors
07-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Body weights, like wearing a weighted vest while jogging? Something like that?

pushups, pullups, hindu squats, etc.

lefty
07-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Working out is for faggots

Real Men still buid muscle and defined abs while laying down on the couch and eating ice cream and burgers

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 03:00 PM

So is soccer

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 03:02 PM
I don't have much time to exercise so I'm always combining daily activities with workout routines.

One of my favorites is the BM Squat.

I keep a pair of dumbbells by all of the toilets in the house. So, whenever I have to make a doodie, I'll take one in each hand and extend my legs up and down while going #2. Really works out those quads. Also, while squatting, you can extend the dumbbells over your head and incorporate some great upper body exercises as well.

lefty
07-18-2012, 03:22 PM
So is soccer
I should have used the blue

CavsSuperFan
07-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for this. What about snacking in between meals?

Snacking as in candy bars & potote chips? No…
Snacking as in a chicken breast, hard boiled eggs, celery & carrot sticks…Yes…

1st body builder I trained with used to say…”How quickly do you want to looking good”?

clambake
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
you need more fiber. eat that salesgenie literature.

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM

1st body builder I trained with used to say…”How quickly do you want to looking good”?

Thats what I meant as far as snacking, like carrots, cucumber slices, etc.

I'm giving myself about 6 months.

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 03:35 PM
you need more fiber. eat that salesgenie literature.

:lol Wasn't worth a damn.

Monostradamus
07-18-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't have much time to exercise so I'm always combining daily activities with workout routines.

One of my favorites is the BM Squat.

I keep a pair of dumbbells by all of the toilets in the house. So, whenever I have to make a doodie, I'll take one in each hand and extend my legs up and down while going #2. Really works out those quads. Also, while squatting, you can extend the dumbbells over your head and incorporate some great upper body exercises as well.

When you go digging for poop jokes, you'll always strike oil.

CavsSuperFan
07-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Thats what I meant as far as snacking, like carrots, cucumber slices, etc..

Heck yea…All the raw veggies you can stand…Only the old school gotta get totally ripped guys just eat protein all day…Raw veggies give you tons of fiber… It is a lot of work to prepare everyday though…When I am on a good program I am at the grocery store buying fresh veggies every 3 days & chopping them up every day…Eating healthy takes dedication...

Ginobilly
07-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Real Men still buid muscle and defined abs while laying down on the couch and eating ice cream and burgers

Real men build muscle by doing manly jobs that gays or sissies wont do.
Construction, labor intense jobs, oil field, etc. True story

ChumpDumper
215? Are you a tall, wide guy, or do something that requires tons of heavy lifting/pulling/pushing? Otherwise, you probably want to lose closer to 45+ pounds before you think about gaining more muscle mass, tbh.He said he was 6'1", right? I was pretty scrawny when I weighed 170 at that height. Couldn't see myself getting too far under the 190 I'm at now, but we'll see as I get back to more aerobic exercise.

cantthinkofanything
Heck yea…All the raw veggies you can stand…Only the old school gotta get totally ripped guys just eat protein all day…Raw veggies give you tons of fiber… It is a lot of work to prepare everyday though…When I am on a good program I am at the grocery store buying fresh veggies every 3 days & chopping them up every day…Eating healthy takes dedication...

I can't stand many raw veggies on their own. Especially broccoli. Lately, I've been dipping them in humus. Which incidentally, is a good source of protein.

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 03:54 PM
He said he was 6'1", right? I was pretty scrawny when I weighed 170 at that height. Couldn't see myself getting too far under the 190 I'm at now, but we'll see as I get back to more aerobic exercise.

Exactly. I don't want to get down to 190ish. I'd be happy between 215-225 if I am toned and my body fat has dropped tremendously.

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I can't stand many raw veggies on their own. Especially broccoli. Lately, I've been dipping them in humus. Which incidentally, is a good source of protein.

Does sprinkling cucumber slices with lime juice or vinegar do anything to diminish its worth?

ChumpDumper
07-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Exactly. I don't want to get down to 190ish. I'd be happy between 215-225 if I am toned and my body fat has dropped tremendously.Oh, I got posts mixed up. If you got to 190ish, you'd look like me and be awesome, but if you have a big frame or something -- you know best.

215 was my maximum. I was getting pretty doughy.

The Gemini Method
07-18-2012, 04:04 PM
I just roid up.

leemajors
07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I was at 265 in 2008, lost 30 pounds in 6 months and have slowly been losing weight since - at 220 or so now, but I haven't been weighed since my physical in May. I had lost 10 of those in the previous year since I upped my bike riding to over 75 miles a week. I'm at a steady 115 a week now with about 6.5 hours of ride time a week. I don't think I could ever get under 200 again, larger frame. I was 195 when I graduated high school and was walking 18 holes most days.

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Does sprinkling cucumber slices with lime juice or vinegar do anything to diminish its worth?

I seriously doubt it.

Drachen
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Word, I just made my first batch of homemade hummus (no recipe, just kinda winged it) and it came out awesome... Celery and cucumber slices are what I liked to dip in it.

z0sa
07-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Exactly. I don't want to get down to 190ish. I'd be happy between 215-225 if I am toned and my body fat has dropped tremendously.

Well even at 6'1, 215 pounds, your BMI would list you as excessively overweight bordering obesity. I realize there are limitations to BMI but like I said, unless you do a bunch of physical labor for your job you can afford to lose a some muscle while you slim down. Facts of life and stuff.

For the most part, you're either losing or you're gaining. If you want good muscle tone, you have to lose most of the excess fat around the muscle. It's quite difficult to both lose weight (low calorie plan) and gain muscle (mid-high calorie plan).

You can continue doing what you're doing and I'm sure you'll look okay in terms of what you want for yourself. I just think you will feel much healthier and look markedly more toned if you go all-in on losing your excess weight before you pack on muscle.

leemajors
07-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Word, I just made my first batch of homemade hummus (no recipe, just kinda winged it) and it came out awesome... Celery and cucumber slices are what I liked to dip in it.

Canned or dried garbanzos?

cantthinkofanything

Been thinking about giving it a shot myself. Seems expensive to buy it in the store or from a restaurant for what I'm getting. Especially when I can eat the whole thing in one or two sittings.

SpurinDallas
I was at 265 in 2008, lost 30 pounds in 6 months and have slowly been losing weight since - at 220 or so now, but I haven't been weighed since my physical in May. I had lost 10 of those in the previous year since I upped my bike riding to over 75 miles a week. I'm at a steady 115 a week now with about 6.5 hours of ride time a week. I don't think I could ever get under 200 again, larger frame. I was 195 when I graduated high school and was walking 18 holes most days.

I graduated from high school at 165, then got to 180 in college and then continued to play baseball and football in my 20's to where I got to a healthy, toned 210. That's where I peaked when I was working out and always playing a sport. I haven't played baseball in 4 years but will start playing again next Spring, which is why I want to get back to around 215.

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Well even at 6'1, 215 pounds, your BMI would list you as excessively overweight bordering obesity. I realize there are limitations to BMI but like I said, unless you do a bunch of physical labor for your job you can afford to lose a some muscle while you slim down. Facts of life and stuff.

For the most part, you're either losing or you're gaining. If you want good muscle tone, you have to lose most of the excess fat around the muscle. It's quite difficult to both lose weight (low calorie plan) and gain muscle (mid-high calorie plan).

You can continue doing what you're doing and I'm sure you'll look okay in terms of what you want for yourself. I just think you will feel much healthier and look markedly more toned if you go all-in on losing your excess weight before you pack on muscle.

That's my plan. That's why I have started on my meal plan and am doing nothing but cardio with no weight lifting.

leemajors
07-18-2012, 04:17 PM

I believe broccoli's benefits are enhanced when it is steamed/sauteed first as opposed to raw. Grilling or roasting it also helps for me, not a huge raw broccoli fan either. Very good sauteed with carmelized shallots or onions too.

Drachen
07-18-2012, 04:17 PM

No sir, the juice from one whole lime is 10 calories.
Basalmic Vinegar is what I use for my salads and it is only 5 calories for a whole tablespoon (Regina brand).

I don't know as far as chemical reactions which will change the nutrition profile, but you don't really get anything from cucumbers anyway so I think you are safe.

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I believe broccoli's benefits are enhanced when it is steamed/sauteed first as opposed to raw. Grilling or roasting it also helps for me, not a huge raw broccoli fan either. Very good sauteed with carmelized shallots or onions too.

huh...I didn't know that. I like it fine when it's steamed or stir fried.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
I can't stand counting calories. I just changed what I ate in general and ate and drank less. Lost 25 pounds in a couple of months without much effort.

leemajors
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
huh...I didn't know that. I like it fine when it's steamed or stir fried.

* With olive oil that is

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 04:23 PM
* With olive oil that is

Was looking to confirm cooked being better and came across this...

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/which_broccoli_is_better_raw_or_cooked

Broccoli frequently earns a top spot on “superfoods” lists. This is partly because it delivers a healthy dose of sulforaphane (http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/which_broccoli_is_better_raw_or_cooked#), a compound thought to thwart cancer by helping to stimulate the body’s detoxifying enzymes. According to recent research in the Journal (http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/which_broccoli_is_better_raw_or_cooked#), raw broccoli provides significantly more of this beneficial nutrient than cooked. (Cooking locks sulforaphane in, making it unavailable to your body.) In the small study, men were given about 1 cup of broccoli, raw or cooked. Those who ate the raw broccoli absorbed sulforaphane faster and in higher amounts compared to those who ate it cooked. The findings add to growing evidence that links diets rich in cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, kale and cauliflower, to lower rates of cancer.

Drachen
07-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Been thinking about giving it a shot myself. Seems expensive to buy it in the store or from a restaurant for what I'm getting. Especially when I can eat the whole thing in one or two sittings.

It was easy, a can of garbanzos (drained) a splash of lemon juice, a splash of olive oil, two cloves of garlic, and some salt. I blended it and added a little water as needed (to make sure that it blended smoothly), and it turned out great. Someone told me I should add tahini and I want to try adding fresh cilantro next time, but seriously, it is freaking simple and tasted great as is.

Canned or dried garbanzos?

I used canned for now, I didn't want to make it more complicated than necessary for the first time... Do you recommend dried?

DMC
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Real men build muscle by doing manly jobs that gays or sissies wont do.
Construction, labor intense jobs, oil field, etc. True story
http://www.markijlal.com/images/village-people-construction-worker.jpg

Other than the fabulous boots, completely straight.

leemajors
07-18-2012, 04:26 PM
I have just heard overcooking it, usually when boiling, reduces some of its nutritional value. That's why I recommended a sautee or a steaming. I don't boil any veggies anymore personally.

leemajors
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
It was easy, a can of garbanzos (drained) a splash of lemon juice, a splash of olive oil, two cloves of garlic, and some salt. I blended it and added a little water as needed (to make sure that it blended smoothly), and it turned out great. Someone told me I should add tahini and I want to try adding fresh cilantro next time, but seriously, it is freaking simple and tasted great as is.

I used canned for now, I didn't want to make it more complicated than necessary for the first time... Do you recommend dried?

You can cut out preservatives and excessive salt that way, which is never bad. I haven/t made it myself but a pound of dried beans is pretty cheap, and I bet hummus freezes well. I make my refried black beans 2 pounds of beans at a time and freeze em.

z0sa
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
That's my plan. That's why I have started on my meal plan and am doing nothing but cardio with no weight lifting.

ah, I must have misunderstood. So you do plan on losing the majority of your excess weight before toning.

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 04:34 PM
I have just heard overcooking it, usually when boiling, reduces some of its nutritional value. That's why I recommended a sautee or a steaming. I don't boil any veggies anymore personally.

From what I'm reading, cooking of any type lowers the nutritional value somewhat. But like you said, lightly cooked keeps it still very beneficial. I can't stand soggy broccoli anyway.

Wondering about throwing it in the blender when making hummus...
Probably doesn't affect the taste too much.

The Gemini Method
07-18-2012, 04:34 PM
I made a batch of black bean hummus not too long ago--I think it would be cool to mix the two, but haven't seen a good recipe that I like. Has anyone actually combined the garbanzo and black bean and made a hummus?

SpurinDallas
07-18-2012, 04:35 PM
ah, I must have misunderstood. So you do plan on losing the majority of your excess weight before toning.

Exactly, sir. Just changed my diet and doing cardio right now, mostly running and playing basketball. Haven't lifted a single weight, and wont until I drop the weight I want.

Drachen
07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
From what I'm reading, cooking of any type lowers the nutritional value somewhat. But like you said, lightly cooked keeps it still very beneficial. I can't stand soggy broccoli anyway.

Wondering about throwing it in the blender when making hummus...
Probably doesn't affect the taste too much.

I am not sure that I would do that. I love broccoli, but its taste is pretty invasive. I wouldn't want that taste when going for some hummus.

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 04:41 PM
I am not sure that I would do that. I love broccoli, but its taste is pretty invasive. I wouldn't want that taste when going for some hummus.

Maybe not. I'll let you know how bad it sucks if I try it.

Was using a juicer a couple of years ago. Could almost throw any vegetable in it as long as there was enough citrus fruits to kill the flavor. The exception was celery. One small stick of celery and the whole thing tasted like...celery.

Drachen
07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
You can cut out preservatives and excessive salt that way, which is never bad. I haven/t made it myself but a pound of dried beans is pretty cheap, and I bet hummus freezes well. I make my refried black beans 2 pounds of beans at a time and freeze em.

This makes sense. Its funny that you say this because I just went to the coast with my family, my cousin and her family and another cousin. I make my own almond milk and my cousin was just bragging on and on about the Organic Almond Milk that she uses and how good for you it is because it is organic blah blah blah. Well, we were the last ones to leave and they accidentally left a carton behind. I happened to check out the ingredients, and there are just as many ingredients that I can't pronounce on this organic shit as there are on anything else. Mine has 3. Water, sugar, almonds.

Drachen
07-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Maybe not. I'll let you know how bad it sucks if I try it.

Was using a juicer a couple of years ago. Could almost throw any vegetable in it as long as there was enough citrus fruits to kill the flavor. The exception was celery. One small stick of celery and the whole thing tasted like...celery.

Well I was reading some website and it was talking about "5 magic veggies" that you could add to fruit smoothies to enhance the nutritional profile and not change the taste, I only remember two: Spinach (this works extremely well) and romaine lettuce. DO NOT USE ROMAIN LETTUCE IN A SMOOTHIE. It will fuck you up in the sense that you are thinking "Oh a strawberry smoothie" then you drink what can only be described as the contents of the cup featured in two girls one cup, after it has aged for two months.

CuckingFunt
07-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Hummus freezes very well, but to do so you want to make sure its moisture is mostly from oils -- olive oil, tahini, etc. -- than anything else. Lots of water, or even the liquid from the can of garbanzo beans, just turns into ice when you freeze it and ruins the texture when thawed. It's still worth making it yourself to cut costs, and to cut out unnecessary salt and preservatives (or, dorky reason, because it's fun!), but if you're going to freeze big batches of it (or of anything, really) you don't really want to cut corners on the fat content by too much.

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Well I was reading some website and it was talking about "5 magic veggies" that you could add to fruit smoothies to enhance the nutritional profile and not change the taste, I only remember two: Spinach (this works extremely well) and romaine lettuce. DO NOT USE ROMAIN LETTUCE IN A SMOOTHIE. It will fuck you up in the sense that you are thinking "Oh a strawberry smoothie" then you drink what can only be described as the contents of the cup featured in two girls one cup, after it has aged for two months.

LOL. I eventually gave up the juicer and went to all fruit smoothies. But in addition choke down one glass of supergreens powder in the morning. Tastes like shit but it's over in a couple of seconds.

CuckingFunt
07-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't like adding any veggies to my smoothies. I can always taste it. Never been too big of a problem for me, though, considering I snack like a rabbit.

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't like adding any veggies to my smoothies. I can always taste it. Never been too big of a problem for me, though, considering I snack like a rabbit.

THAT'S HOT. oh...wait...you said "snack"

dirk4mvp
07-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Does anybody else take the nastiest shits in the morning after they consume whey protein after waking up?

lefty
07-18-2012, 05:36 PM

This :tu

cantthinkofanything
08-02-2012, 03:43 PM
made a couple of batches of hummus.
first time I didn't have tahini. after the second batch (with tahini), it was much closer to the restaurants.
still having a hard time with the consistency... seems like the blender goes from too chunky to too soupy. but after refrigeration, the last batch wasn't too bad

the recipe I'm using:

1 15 oz can of Garbanzo beans (with about 1/4 of the liquid)
3 tbls lemon juice
2 tbls tahini
random sprinkles of garlic pepper
2 tsp olive oil
random sea salt

Greg Oden
08-02-2012, 03:55 PM

There isn't any difference what time of day you take in calories. As long as it's under you're bmr you'll lose weight.

brb not eating till 11 pm then consuming 2k calories

man on wire
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I haven't worked out in years and am still in better shape than most health nuts.