PDA

View Full Version : Govt CANNOT CREATE JOBS! but, but, but,

boutons_deux
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Defense firms warn of job losses from budget cuts

Leader of the nation's major defense contractors warned on Wednesday of job layoffs and disruptions in manufacturing if Congress fails to agree on an alternative to automatic budget cuts.

Robert J. Stevens, chairman and chief executive officer of Lockheed Martin Corp., said the across-the-board reductions could result in layoffs of 10,000 employees from his company of 120,000 workers. Executives from Pratt and Whitney, EADS North America and Williams-Pyro also sounded the alarm about the $110 billion in cuts slated to hit defense and domestic programs on Jan. 2.

http://mobile.sfgate.com/sfchron/db_41687/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=vsV5mm1d&full=true#display

:lol :lol :lol :lol

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Oh, so now you support the MIC. Ok. Good to know.

mercos
07-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Some say the MIC is the best jobs program we have in this country. I disagree, as the finished product of most defense contractors has no secondary economic benefit compared to building something like a road or bridge. I am not for gutting the defense budget, but I do think we need to scale back somewhat and spend more efficiently. I've known many overseas contractors who work for the DoD, and you would not believe the amount of money wasted in Iraq and Afghanistan.

z0sa
07-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Oh, so now you support the MIC. Ok. Good to know.

:lol:lol

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Some say the MIC is the best jobs program we have in this country. I disagree, as the finished product of most defense contractors has no secondary economic benefit compared to building something like a road or bridge. I am not for gutting the defense budget, but I do think we need to scale back somewhat and spend more efficiently. I've known many overseas contractors who work for the DoD, and you would not believe the amount of money wasted in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I know a ton of guys that work for Lockheed. You can't believe the amount of cash they're pulling down.

boutons_deux
07-18-2012, 04:56 PM

yes, the multiplier effect of jobs GOVT-CREATED by MIC spending isn't a high as it is for non-MIC jobs.

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
I know a ton of guys that work for Lockheed. You can't believe the amount of cash they're pulling down.
Part of the deal is they know it's contract work. Contract work can end at any time, but usually just between orders. It's not designed as a permanent job for all as the levels or production can fluctuate so dramatically. That's one of the reasons the pay is so high. Hope they saved up enough to be out of work for a year or more.

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Part of the deal is they know it's contract work. Contract work can end at any time, but usually just between orders. It's not designed as a permanent job for all as the levels or production can fluctuate so dramatically. That's one of the reasons the pay is so high. Hope they saved up enough to be out of work for a year or more.

The engineers I hang out with are still supporting the F-16. I'd say they've had a pretty secure career.

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 05:09 PM
The engineers I hang out with are still supporting the F-16. I'd say they've had a pretty secure career.
For the more experienced, and more senior workers if it's union. The guys at the bottom can really take a beating. If support for the F-16 ever stops, they will probably move him to another project.

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 05:12 PM
These guys are mos def not union.

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 05:13 PM
And support for the f-16 stopped years ago. It's the foreign sales that are driving these guys' jobs.

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 05:19 PM
These guys are mos def not union.
I didn't know if it was union or not. I'm saying if it was union, the lowest guys would go first.

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 05:19 PM
And support for the f-16 stopped years ago. It's the foreign sales that are driving these guys' jobs.
So... there is still support...

These jobs could be safer since they don't rely on US contracts, right?