PDA

View Full Version : Popovich, Spurs content to stand pat

deibero
07-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Good article by Art Garcia, actually he mentioned on twitter is his first on foxsportssouthwest.com...

Gives some insight on the spurs offseason and the FO thinking...

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/07/18/12/Popovich-Spurs-content-to-stand-pat/landing_spurs.html?blockID=762441

Budkin
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
He didn't mention Bonner at all... :lol

Floyd Pacquiao
07-18-2012, 05:15 PM
"He was just a big a pain in the neck as he was when he almost went to Orlando," Popovich smirked. "He toyed with me, he lied to me, he intimidated me, he threatened me and, in the end, it worked out. But I had to take much abuse to get it done."

:lol

one of the greatest player coach relationships of all time :( god bless tim duncan

Bruno
07-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Nice article. :tu

The biggest news is that Spurs want to stay below the tax. In a lot of years, they have been fine with being just over but it isn't the case this year.

HI-FI
07-18-2012, 05:32 PM

The biggest news is that Spurs want to stay below the tax. In a lot of years, they have been fine with being just over but it isn't the case this year.
must be the new CBA. I'm very curious how this will affect the Lakers, since some of the tax numbers you and Mel_13 have thrown around are staggering.

good article, I wanted them to make a splashy free agency move but the FO knows way more than me, plus we're just scratching the surface of what Kawhi can become. I also think Patty will be much better. Least we have great chemistry for a team.

wildbill2u
07-18-2012, 05:41 PM
With some franchises going over the tax in a big way maybe they are counting on a big payday when the clubs under the salary cap split up the tax revenue.

Hard times are coming and revenue may be down. A cash cache may be important to the future of the team.

SenorSpur
07-18-2012, 05:45 PM
The Spurs may have no other choice than to stand pat, but in doing so they've not solved any of the issues that plagued them a few months ago. I certainly understand the financial constraints the Spurs are under. That's just the way it is. Still, if the Spurs start next season with exactly the same team, as presently constructed, then will continue to be defensively inferior and a notch below the big dogs on the block - OKC Thunder - for yet another season and THAT is a concern.

This was all made very clear in the recent playoff series. Looking at both sides of the coin, scoring points is one thing and the Spurs can do that pretty well. Yet the Thunder clamped down on the Spurs and were able to generate key stops at critical moments. They did so by taking away the Spurs strengths, negating their pick-n-roll offense and thus killed their ability to score. On the other side, the Thunder were able to raise their level of offensive play when they most needed it. They literally scored with ease - off turnovers, runouts, offensive rebounds and putbacks, etc. The veteran Spurs were left powerless to do anything about it.

Stand pat all you want so long as everyone knows that improvement for this team IS NOT coming from within - contrary to what Pop and RC have told us so far. Improvement must come from one or two positional upgrades, which the Spurs. at this moment, are in no position to make. This isn't a good receipe - especially for team who has 2 major stars on the wrong side of 30 years old. Osmosis is not going to close the talent and skill-level gap between the Spurs and the Thunder.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-18-2012, 05:53 PM
On one of the Summer games Pop was interviewed and commented on their plan to develop Diaw. Basically, he said they want to try and coach Diaw to be more aggressive and to shoot more/pass less. From what Timvp commented recently, Coach Don Newman had been given the job of informal "testosterone coach". And with his departure, is there going to be someone else on the coaching staff to step into this role, and hopefully, to actually succeed for once?

Getting Diaw to all of a sudden change seems like a longshot. I would imagine Parker pestering him would have the best chance of an effect, but even then, it seems unlikely.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

therealtruth
07-18-2012, 06:19 PM
The Spurs may have no other choice than to stand pat, but in doing so they've not solved any of the issues that plagued them a few months ago. I certainly understand the financial constraints the Spurs are under. That's just the way it is. Still, if the Spurs start next season with exactly the same team, as presently constructed, then will continue to be defensively inferior and a notch below the big dogs on the block - OKC Thunder - for yet another season and THAT is a concern.

This was all made very clear in the recent playoff series. Looking at both sides of the coin, scoring points is one thing and the Spurs can do that pretty well. Yet the Thunder clamped down on the Spurs and were able to generate key stops at critical moments. They did so by taking away the Spurs strengths, negating their pick-n-roll offense and thus killed their ability to score. On the other side, the Thunder were able to raise their level of offensive play when they most needed it. They literally scored with ease - off turnovers, runouts, offensive rebounds and putbacks, etc. The veteran Spurs were left powerless to do anything about it.

Stand pat all you want so long as everyone knows that improvement for this team IS NOT coming from within - contrary to what Pop and RC have told us so far. Improvement must come from one or two positional upgrades, which the Spurs. at this moment, are in no position to make. This isn't a good receipe - especially for team who has 2 major stars on the wrong side of 30 years old. Osmosis is not going to close the talent and skill-level gap between the Spurs and the Thunder.

The Spurs could have done a better job of taking control of the ball. Alot of the turnovers were unforced.

SenorSpur
07-18-2012, 06:19 PM
On one of the Summer games Pop was interviewed and commented on their plan to develop Diaw. Basically, he said they want to try and coach Diaw to be more aggressive and to shoot more/pass less. From what Timvp commented recently, Coach Don Newman had been given the job of informal "testosterone coach". And with his departure, is there going to be someone else on the coaching staff to step into this role, and hopefully, to actually succeed for once?

Getting Diaw to all of a sudden change seems like a longshot. I would imagine Parker pestering him would have the best chance of an effect, but even then, it seems unlikely.

I heard that in-game interview too. And at the time, I thought how various coaches have tried to get Diaw to do the same thing over his career. I would've felt better about that task had Newman still been on the coaching staff. Still I agree with your premise that forcing a veteran leopard, like Diaw, to suddenly "change his spots" and develop a "shoot-first" mentality is just not who Diaw is. I just don't think it's something he'll be comfortable with.

timvp
07-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Art Garcia working for foxsportssouthwest.com is good news for Spurs fans. He's not Ludden but he has scooped stuff in the past. Hopefully he writes often :tu

ChumpDumper
07-18-2012, 06:32 PM

Stand pat all you want so long as everyone knows that improvement for this team IS NOT coming from within - contrary to what Pop and RC have told us so far. Improvement must come from one or two positional upgrades, which the Spurs. at this moment, are in no position to make. This isn't a good receipe - especially for team who has 2 major stars on the wrong side of 30 years old. Osmosis is not going to close the talent and skill-level gap between the Spurs and the Thunder.They know signing anyone of note at this point is unlikely, so yeah -- try to improve with what they have until the trade deadline.

Not too many words needed.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-18-2012, 06:39 PM

You want to "break the chain" every so often so that you never get hit by the repeater tax penalty.

lurker23
07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Given their regular season success last year, it makes a lot of sense to stand pat and then see what happens closer to the trade deadline as teams are more likely to deal.

The Spurs also need to see which of their 7-8 guards are worth keeping (or, conversely, which ones have trade value).

Obstructed_View
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM

They used to have drills where someone would stand under the basket and feed the ball to Rasho who would dunk it. That worked swimmingly.

Seventyniner
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
I think the FO thinks that the Spurs as presently constituted are good enough to have a decent shot at making the Finals. Going up 2-0 on OKC and curbstomping the Lakers twice makes them think that the matchups are fine, and losing the WCF was just variance (22-25 for OKC bigs in game 4 was flukish).

Ice009
07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Yeah, but LA looks like it will get better and OKC should improve too, so if that happens and the Spurs improve then we might be in the same situation as before. Unless they think the Spurs can improve so much that it will offset LA's new additions and also offset OKC's improvement.

racm
07-18-2012, 07:39 PM
And when even Duncan admits something was fishy with the officiating...

The Mills and de Colo signings signify that Pop saw the Neal PG experiment as a failure. His emphasis on making Kawhi a point forward in SL also means he wants to take pressure off Parker in plays.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
They used to have drills where someone would stand under the basket and feed the ball to Rasho who would dunk it. That worked swimmingly.

I remember reading about those drills. Mario Elie would try to get Rasho to let out a scream every time he "dunked". When I was posting under a different username, I remember inadvertently upsetting some members of the Slovenian fanbase by citing this very instance.

Anyway, I would love to see video of this approach with Diaw. Maybe during one of the player interviews during training camp we'll get to see Diaw somewhere out of focus in the background letting out primal screams.

DMC
07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
The players are part of the league, so they know the deal with the officiating. They all make big dollars to play their roles, if that's what it is.

It's like an actor saying "something was fishy about that script" when they've done the show for 14 years, same script.

wut
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
it's not sexy, but it's smart....typical Spurs offseason.....nothing to see here folks.

dunkman
07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Diaw will play better in his second season, Mills will bring defense to the PG position, something that's been missing, De Colo seems very good in passing the ball, Leonard could end being an all-star talent.

The Spurs have a good roster, if they sign K-Mart it will be complete. The Lakers have improved considerably, OKC was better the previous season, the other teams have made some moves, time will tell.

Pop over-achieved with the Spurs the last season tbh, so maybe this time will be even better.

HI-FI
07-18-2012, 08:04 PM
The players are part of the league, so they know the deal with the officiating. They all make big dollars to play their roles, if that's what it is.

It's like an actor saying "something was fishy about that script" when they've done the show for 14 years, same script.

or perhaps for most of the season, especially the regular season, the league has more of a Robert Altman approach, letting the actors' performances and improv guide the overall process and product.

but it does seem like whenever there is a clear narrative or storyline the league wants to market, they start to edit or push the performers into their assigned roles, whether they want to or not. let's face it, Altman's movies don't make bank.

maybe i'm just paranoid about that game 6, but clearly Duncan was sensing some of the same old bullshit.

Russ
07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
And when even Duncan admits something was fishy with the officiating...

I'm not sure Duncan is any paragon of virtue when it comes to accepting bad calls.

That said, it's never a good sign when you see Joey Crawford's gnarled visage in an elimination game.

rascal
07-18-2012, 08:35 PM

No reason to believe he won't shoot more. The problem is will he shoot at a good %, that translates into better play. The guy has confidence issues.

rascal
07-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Yeah, but LA looks like it will get better and OKC should improve too, so if that happens and the Spurs improve then we might be in the same situation as before. Unless they think the Spurs can improve so much that it will offset LA's new additions and also offset OKC's improvement.

The Spurs will be lucky to play the same, never mind improve. They had the number one seed last year. How much more can they improve bringing back the same team? And they were injury free going into the playoffs, the number 1 seed won't happen next year.

lmbebo
07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
One can argue that staying pat is the right approach. We brought in 2 players late in the season, had a 20 game win streak and made it to the conference finals.

On the other end, we lost a 2-0 lead. We had defensive issues that were apparent.

I think internal growth can work with Diaw being in the system more, Diaw being more aggressive and Pop playing Splitter more.

I still think getting a defensive 4/5 would help tremendously.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
No reason to believe he won't shoot more. The problem is will he shoot at a good %, that translates into better play. The guy has confidence issues.

One reason to believe he won't shoot more is that each team he plays for complains that he doesn't shoot enough. So you know, there's a historical trend going on.

It's a problem that he shoots at a good percentage?

He might have confidence issues, but nothing in the same universe as say Matt Bonner. I think he has confidence playing basketball, but he just doesn't want to be in the spotlight. I would call it more settling or complacent.

Seventyniner
07-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Diaw learning not to foul so much (and thereby compromising the whole Spurs' defensive system) would help tremendously. Will training camp + preseason + regular season be enough for this to happen? I'm not sure, but we'll see.

therealtruth
07-18-2012, 10:04 PM
I think part of getting Diaw to be more aggressive is putting the ball in his hands and letting him run the offense. He did that pretty well with the Suns even though they had Nash. It will also allow Parker to play of the ball more where he can use his speed.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
I think part of getting Diaw to be more aggressive is putting the ball in his hands and letting him run the offense. He did that pretty well with the Suns even though they had Nash. It will also allow Parker to play of the ball more where he can use his speed.

I've wanted to see some point-forward from Diaw. If the team can't get reliable backup PG play...and they compromise the defense in trying to do so, then I'd rather explore atypical options like this. Force the offense through him and see what happens. It's worth an experiment.

SA210
07-19-2012, 11:30 AM

One of the best posts ever!

:toast

Duncan2177
07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Just sign Kenyon for the vet min and call it a day.

silverblk mystix
07-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Content= The Spurs system and franchise is one of the best in the NBA-if not the best. Standing pat makes sense.

Content= No titles in past 5 seasons-standing pat = no titles anytime soon the way the NBA has become a superfriends league.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Content= The Spurs system and franchise is one of the best in the NBA-if not the best. Standing pat makes sense.

Content= No titles in past 5 seasons-standing pat = no titles anytime soon the way the NBA has become a superfriends league.

I'll try a serious question.

Given the assets available to the Spurs, can you outline a course of action that would have had a reasonable probability of producing a better team than the course of action that has been taken?

yavozerb
07-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Given the assets available to the Spurs, can you outline a course of action that would have had a reasonable probability of producing a better team than the course of action that has been taken?

This should be interesting to see the crap people come up with trying to answer this question. Spurs have done about as well as they could have done this offseason and thats simply putting back last seasons team.

silverblk mystix
07-19-2012, 01:08 PM

Serious answer;

Only one.

The only way, with what is/was available that would produce a better team would be by subtraction- not by addition.

I won't mention who should be subtracted for obvious reasons, but subtracting dead weight and trying to improve in that way is probably the best way to improve.

Probably not enough to win a title (depending on who they get in return) but a step in a positive direction.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Serious answer;

Only one.

The only way, with what is/was available that would produce a better team would be by subtraction- not by addition.

I won't mention who should be subtracted for obvious reasons, but subtracting dead weight and trying to improve in that way is probably the best way to improve.

Probably not enough to win a title (depending on who they get in return) but a step in a positive direction.

So, amnesty Bonner and sign a player to a minimum contract?

Then salary dump Blair and sign another player to a minimum contract?

IMO, that just leads to new whipping boys for ST, but doesn't improve the team's prospects.

I do appreciate the serious reply.

silverblk mystix
07-19-2012, 01:25 PM

IMO, that just leads to new whipping boys for ST, but doesn't improve the team's prospects.

If you read the first reply correctly--it never implied which was better or worse.

It said that

Content = good

Content = not so good

Double-edged sword. The thing that makes the Spurs franchise so good sometimes is the thing that makes the Spurs franchise- not so good.

Realistic. Not implying one is better or worse than the other.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 01:31 PM
If you read the first reply correctly--it never implied which was better or worse.

It said that

Content = good

Content = not so good

Double-edged sword. The thing that makes the Spurs franchise so good sometimes is the thing that makes the Spurs franchise- not so good.

Realistic. Not implying one is better or worse than the other.

I understood. I was just asking if you saw a reasonable road for the Spurs to overcome the realities of a superfriends league. I don't think one exists. Going forward, if someone wants to be a fan of a perennial contender, they need to look to the franchises in NY, LA, and Miami.

temujin
07-19-2012, 01:57 PM

One could argue: gambling on Lorbek instead of Diaw.

At the end of the day, the NBA is a superstar-driven business, and the Spurs, having no superstar currently, know that they can be really good with Diaw and really really good with Lorbek and yet won't come up with another title.

-21-
07-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Cool stuff. I love Pop's comments about negotiating with Tim. :lol

I agree with SenorSpur's post but he said it himself, "The Spurs may have no other choice than to stand pat."

Also Pop said De Colo is a "poor man's Danny Ainige." That's interesting.

G-Dawgg
07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
So basically the Spurs are too short handed to beat the elite teams again and the Spurs and Popovich are content with that?

spurs10
07-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Are we able to use the vet mimimum without crossing the luxury tax threshold? I'm not clear on the options we have. Is amnesting Bonner the only way we can sign anyone else to a minimum contract without paying the tax? Thanks for any insight...:toast

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Are we able to use the vet mimimum without crossing the luxury tax threshold? I'm not clear on the options we have. Is amnesting Bonner the only way we can sign anyone else to a minimum contract without paying the tax? Thanks for any insight...:toast

It's too late to amnesty Bonner, but the Spurs appear to have room to use the vet minimum without going over the tax. Also, Blair's contract does not become guaranteed until November 1st and Neal's will not be fully guaranteed until January 10th.

T Park
07-19-2012, 03:02 PM
So basically the Spurs are too short handed to beat the elite teams again and the Spurs and Popovich are content with that?

I'm sure they'd be all ears on how to improve the team seeing as no one is left.

temujin
07-19-2012, 03:03 PM

So WC finalist is not an elite team?

spurs10
07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
It's too late to amnesty Bonner, but the Spurs appear to have room to use the vet minimum without going over the tax. Also, Blair's contract does not become guaranteed until November 1st and Neal's will not be fully guaranteed until January 10th.
Thanks! I wonder if they have their eye on anyone. In light of Blair's recent public airings, I'm guessing he is on thin ice until 11/1.
I knew about the amnesty deadline, but had a momentary lapse of reason. This happens often when I consider Matt's disappearing act in the last many playoffs. Much has been said about whether Blair or Matt would be our best 5th big. Looks like Blair is more likely for the chopping block I suppose.
It looks like we might have some intriguing options for a back-up pg in Nando. Mills, or CJ. I can only hope we bring in a vet for the minimum. Again, thanks for clearing that up.....

ElNono
07-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Pro-actively shop Bonner, adding Blair as a sweetner if necessary... That's near $5 million bucks, which should be enough to land you a 4th big. But above all, it would remove Matty from Pop's reach, which arguably makes this team better when it matters.

IMO, anyways.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Pro-actively shop Bonner, adding Blair as a sweetner if necessary... That's near $5 million bucks, which should be enough to land you a 4th big. But above all, it would remove Matty from Pop's reach, which arguably makes this team better when it matters.

IMO, anyways.

The other teams have seen Matty play.

ElNono
07-19-2012, 03:43 PM
The other teams have seen Matty play.

Well, other teams have seen RJ play too... and he had a much more terrible contract... I don't think Matty's contract is unmovable, considering his RS prowess... he's just not useful for playoff teams.

All that said, I know Matty isn't going anywhere because the Spurs still consider that choker an 'asset'.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Well, other teams have seen RJ play too... and he had a much more terrible contract... I don't think Matty's contract is unmovable, considering his RS prowess... he's just not useful for playoff teams.

All that said, I know Matty isn't going anywhere because the Spurs still consider that choker an 'asset'.

The RJ example isn't a good one for obvious reasons, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't think Matty's contract becomes movable without adding a first round pick until the trade deadline at the earliest, perhaps not until next summer. Least not in any trade that brings back a usable 4th big.

DPG21920
07-19-2012, 03:57 PM
What???? I disagree. He sucks, but he's cheaper than Novak and does the same thing. Not only that, he's only guaranteed 1M next year. I can't see it taking a first rounder to dump Matt.

tesseractive
I understood. I was just asking if you saw a reasonable road for the Spurs to overcome the realities of a superfriends league. I don't think one exists. Going forward, if someone wants to be a fan of a perennial contender, they need to look to the franchises in NY, LA, and Miami.

So in your view, there's no way OKC can be a contender?

DPG21920

They already are.

tesseractive
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
They already are.

I must have misread what Mel was saying then. Oops.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 04:06 PM

I didn't say that at all. OKC will be one of the favorites next year. Next year is the last year that Harden, Ibaka, and Maynor will be on their rookie contracts. Durant and Westbrook are already max players. The financial realities of their small market will, IMO, keep them from being perennial contenders.

tesseractive
07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I didn't say that at all. OKC will be one of the favorites next year. Next year is the last year that Harden, Ibaka, and Maynor will be on their rookie contracts. Durant and Westbrook are already max players. The financial realities of their small market will, IMO, keep them from being perennial contenders.

Ok, fair enough. I'm not so sure they won't find a way to continue to compete at that level, personally.

Especially when the sign and trade restriction kicks in -- that would have killed a number of the rich-get-richer deals that happened this summer, if it had been in effect.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Ok, fair enough. I'm not so sure they won't find a way to continue to compete at that level, personally.

Especially when the sign and trade restriction kicks in -- that would have killed a number of the rich-get-richer deals that happened this summer, if it had been in effect.

They may well given the pedigree of their GM.

If they can't, then they'll serve as the textbook case of why small market teams have virtually no chance in the NBA. They had the good fortune to get a franchise player in the draft. They stayed bad long enough to get two more high lottery picks. They were well managed and used their cap space to accumulate draft picks and secure affordable role players.

That's about as good as it gets for a small market team in terms of good fortune and good management. And it may not be enough.

TD 21
07-19-2012, 04:30 PM

I don't know about that. They can either attempt to trade Perkins for nothing (aka heavily protected future 2nd) to a team with cap space or amnesty him, not qualify Maynor and let Cook walk. They can also come up with a creative ways to structure Harden's and Ibaka's contracts. The end game would leave them with four big contracts, two relatively minor contracts to the other two established players (Collison and Sefolosha) and the remainder of the roster fleshed out with players on either minimum or rookie contracts (Aldrich, Thabeet, Jackson, Jones, etc.) If they can pull that off, then they should be able to get away with the aforementioned players playing more prominent roles and perennially contending.

Ibaka/Collison
Durant/Jones
Aldrich/Thabeet
Sefolosha/Harden
Westbrook/Jackson

Looks like a perennial contender to me. Keep in mind, they'd always have the veteran's minimum at their disposal (and because of their situation, they'll be able to lure veteran's who are worth more than the minimum). They could use a 3D SF, which would free up Jones to play PF, keep Collison as the primary backup C and just use Thabeet for the Howard's and Bynum's of the world, which is probably their plan anyway.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't know about that. They can either attempt to trade Perkins for nothing (aka heavily protected future 2nd) to a team with cap space or amnesty him, not qualify Maynor and let Cook walk. They can also come up with a creative ways to structure Harden's and Ibaka's contracts. The end game would leave them with four big contracts, two relatively minor contracts to the other two established players (Collison and Sefolosha) and the remainder of the roster fleshed out with players on either minimum or rookie contracts (Aldrich, Thabeet, Jackson, Jones, etc.) If they can pull that off, then they should be able to get away with the aforementioned players playing more prominent roles and perennially contending.

Ibaka/Collison
Durant/Jones
Aldrich/Thabeet
Sefolosha/Harden
Westbrook/Jackson

Looks like a perennial contender to me. Keep in mind, they'd always have the veteran's minimum at their disposal (and because of their situation, they'll be able to lure veteran's who are worth more than the minimum). They could use a 3D SF, which would free up Jones to play PF, keep Collison as the primary backup C and just use Thabeet for the Howard's and Bynum's of the world, which is probably their plan anyway.

We'll see. I don't believe they'll be able to keep both and I'm not aware of any creative ways to structure their contracts that make it any more likely. This assumes, of course, that neither player does anything to depress his market value in the next 12 months.

tesseractive
07-19-2012, 04:41 PM
They may well given the pedigree of their GM.

If they can't, then they'll serve as the textbook case of why small market teams have virtually no chance in the NBA. They had the good fortune to get a franchise player in the draft. They stayed bad long enough to get two more high lottery picks. They were well managed and used their cap space to accumulate draft picks and secure affordable role players.

That's about as good as it gets for a small market team in terms of good fortune and good management. And it may not be enough.

No, absolutely -- OKC is a best case scenario. Which is why I asked originally -- I didn't think it made sense to leave them off a list of ongoing contenders, when I think they definitely have a shot at it. But it sounds like we don't disagree much at all.

As far as the domination of the big market teams goes, I think it will be interesting to see what happens 2-3 years down the road after sign and trades come off the table and the Nets are paying $40 million a year (or whatever ungodly amount it works out to with the Luxury Tax and the repeater penalty) for Brook Lopez, and their only real options for improving are weak draft picks, the mini-MLE, minimum deals, and trading players no one wants.

The Lakers and Heat have huge advantages not only because they have a ton of money to play with, but also because they have smart front offices and elite players to build around. OKC and any comparable good young club that develops won't have the money, but if they avoid the tax, they'll have sign and trades to work with, the full MLE, etc. Those are pretty nice equalizers.

If the Spurs can get a franchise player at some point after Duncan retires -- a huge if, without a doubt -- I like our ability to build a contender once again, because we have one of the best front offices around, and if they start getting good draft picks to work with again, odds are good that they can fill out a team pretty easily.

Proxy
07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Diaw and Kawhi take on bigger roles... Mills solidifies himself as the backup PG so Manu and Neal stay where they should... if these two things happen and end up working for the better, the gap should get bridged somewhat to OKC's level.

When I'm sad, I think about how SA has replaced RJ and Blair with Jack and Diaw at this same point last year.

TD 21
07-19-2012, 04:50 PM
We'll see. I don't believe they'll be able to keep both and I'm not aware of any creative ways to structure their contracts that make it any more likely. This assumes, of course, that neither player does anything to depress his market value in the next 12 months.

By creative, I mean front load or back load. Front load would likely be the way to go here, while the Aldrich's, Jackson's and Jones' are still on their rookie contracts. They did this with Collison a few years back. Paid him the majority of his contract in his first season, before Durant's and Westbrook's extensions kicked in.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 04:51 PM
If the Spurs can get a franchise player at some point after Duncan retires -- a huge if, without a doubt -- I like our ability to build a contender once again, because we have one of the best front offices around, and if they start getting good draft picks to work with again, odds are good that they can fill out a team pretty easily.

It should be fun to watch the Spurs FO operate in the post-Duncan era. They won't be able to put together a championship team without lucking into a franchise player, but I'm sure they'll be able to build a very competitive, watchable team given some high draft picks and cap space to play with. I'll be renewing my season tickets for at least as long as the current management stays in place.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 04:57 PM
By creative, I mean front load or back load. Front load would likely be the way to go here, while the Aldrich's, Jackson's and Jones' are still on their rookie contracts. They did this with Collison a few years back. Paid him the majority of his contract in his first season, before Durant's and Westbrook's extensions kicked in.

That Collison trick won't work now. They basically paid him a huge bonus that season with last cap space they had available and then extended him at a small annual salary. They can't repeat that trick with their current cap situation. Also, although I can't find the reference, I've read that the new CBA closed that loophole.

TD 21
07-19-2012, 05:03 PM
That Collison trick won't work now. They basically paid him a huge bonus that season with last cap space they had available and then extended him at a small annual salary. They can't repeat that trick with their current cap situation. Also, although I can't find the reference, I've read that the new CBA closed that loophole.

Well, I wasn't thinking to that extent. But it's not as if you can't still heavily front or back load contracts. Look no further than the Lin, Asik and Fields offer sheets.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Well, I wasn't thinking to that extent. But it's not as if you can't still heavily front or back load contracts. Look no further than the Lin, Asik and Fields offer sheets.

Those were all Arenas Rule cases and would not apply to OKC keeping their own first round draft picks.

TD 21
07-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Those were all Arenas Rule cases and would not apply to OKC keeping their own first round draft picks.

I still think it's doable. And if worse comes to worst, they can always trade Sefolosha's $3.9M expiring contract to a team with cap space and either get back an inexpensive salary or none at all.

The point is, as long as the end game is keeping the core four intact, that combined with some intriguing prospects should keep them as perennial contenders going forward. Also, we're talking two seasons from now. The Lakers and Spurs cores will be even closer to the end and at this writing, the only potential long term competition in the West is the Clippers, who are suddenly flooded with aging and flat out old players themselves.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 05:19 PM
I still think it's doable.

We'll see. By the standards of this summer's market (Hibbert, Lopez, Gordon), Ibaka and Harden are both max or near-max players. I don't believe OKC will ever have 4 max players on their roster. Time will tell.

ElNono
07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't think Matty's contract becomes movable without adding a first round pick until the trade deadline at the earliest

Completely disagree. I actually think coaches like Mik:lol Br:lolwn would be all over Matty if he would be available.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Completely disagree. I actually think coaches like Mik:lol Br:lolwn would be all over Matty if he would be available.

Well we do disagree. How many times is that now?

TD 21
07-19-2012, 05:27 PM
We'll see. By the standards of this summer's market (Hibbert, Lopez, Gordon), Ibaka and Harden are both max or near-max players. I don't believe OKC will ever have 4 max players on their roster. Time will tell.

They can meet in the middle. The Thunder can sell them on taking slightly less than market value on three year deals, with player options for the fourth. That allows Harden and Ibaka to have their cake and eat it too, so to speak. Get paid now and probably win at least one championship with this group, while getting paid even more later (but sooner than they otherwise would if they were locked in for four or five years) and having an opportunity to decide at that point what their top priority is: Chasing more rings with this group or going somewhere else, maxing out on their earning potential and playing a more prominent role.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 05:33 PM
They can meet in the middle. The Thunder can sell them on taking slightly less than market value on three year deals, with player options for the fourth. That allows Harden and Ibaka to have their cake and eat it too, so to speak. Get paid now and probably win at least one championship with this group, while getting paid even more later (but sooner than they otherwise would if they were locked in for four or five years) and having an opportunity to decide at that point what their top priority is: Chasing more rings with this group or going somewhere else, maxing out on their earning potential and playing a more prominent role.

Accepting less than market value is the only way it gets done. Presti is going to have to be quite a salesman to pull that off, but it's not impossible.

Bruno
07-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Even if Spurs don't do another move this summer, their team won't likely be the same than last year. Their backup PG should be different with Pop giving this spot to Mills, De Colo or Joseph. Given how bad Neal as PG was, especially in the playoffs, it should be an upgrade.

ElNono
07-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Well we do disagree. How many times is that now?

Hey, we do agree in a bunch of stuff too :toast

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Hey, we do agree in a bunch of stuff too :toast

:toast

xmas1997
07-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Actually, if they improve defensively they have a legitimate shot. With a full training camp and good health as well as a bunch of luck they can get it done, but without a significant improvement in defense they will fall again.

Solid D
07-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Ages of the current players under contract (age when the season begins the last week of Oct. 2012)

Tim Duncan.........36
Manu Ginobili.......35
Stephen Jackson..34
Matt Bonner........32
Boris Diaw...........30
Tony Parker.........30
Gary Neal............28
Tiago Splitter.......27
Danny Green........25
Nando De Colo.....25 (younger than Danny by 1 day)
Patty Mills...........24
DeJuan Blair.........23
Kawhi Leonard......21
Cory Joseph.........21

(Derrick Byars......28, has a non-guaranteed contract)

Team average (without Byars)....27.9 (Very rough estimate based on whole numbers tbh, imho, iirc, and etc., somesuch and the like)

rascal
07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Ages of the current players under contract (age when the season begins the last week of Oct. 2012)

Tim Duncan.........36
Manu Ginobili.......35
Stephen Jackson..34
Matt Bonner........32
Boris Diaw...........30
Tony Parker.........30
Gary Neal............28
Tiago Splitter.......27
Danny Green........25
Patty Mills...........24
DeJuan Blair.........23
Kawhi Leonard......21
Cory Joseph.........21

Team average (without Byars)....27.9

You have to weigh the average minutes for each player into the true equation for team age. Can't give Duncan and Joseph the same weight when averaging the team age. The age will ramp up when player minutes are taken into account.

Solid D
07-19-2012, 09:03 PM
You have to weigh the average minutes for each player into the true equation for team age. Can't give Duncan and Joseph the same weight when averaging the team age. The age will ramp up when player minutes are taken into account.

Agreed. Have at it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2012, 09:12 PM

OKC beat us because they hit a freakish number of outside jumpers when they needed them, and KD was in Beast Mode for 4 straight games. If their bigs didn't hit 22/25 and KD didn't have 16pts in the 4th in game 4, we win the series 4-1. I don't see a huge skill difference between the two sides.

And I think you underestimate the possible improvement from within the team given a full pre-season. Remember, we only had Jax and Diaw for about 20 games before the playoffs. The other thing I'll mention is that our bench stopped scoring against OKC, but with a full year of Patty running the backup PG I think that'll be less of an issue. I think there's plenty of room for improvement in this team. You're right that D is the issue, but who knows what kind of mid-season or deadline trades might be worked to improve that... hell, add an enforcer like K-Mart and the front court starts to look a lot tougher.

Anyway, I don't share your pessimism. I think we'll be right up there again, and with a few breaks could go all the way. It's a long-shot, but at this point in Tim and Manu's career, everything is! ;)

Solid D
07-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Ruff, you mentioned Patty Mills with a full year. Consider this. Patty is only 23 (will be 24 when the season starts), he hasn't reached his full potential and will continue to gain valuable experience this summer and then after the Olympics under the guidance of the Spurs' player dev. staff. Some interesting possibilities there.

Solid D
07-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Adding a tough interior player like Martin is intriguing but he signed for $2.5M (partial MLE, I believe) with the Clips late last season. The Spurs would have to move Blair's contract and get K-Mart cheaper than the Clips got him for. Not sure how long he'll be a FA.

Solid D
07-19-2012, 09:30 PM

Fixed
http://www.urbanizedmusic.com/images/49_animated_arrow_down.gif

Tim Duncan.........36
Manu Ginobili.......35
Stephen Jackson..34
Matt Bonner........32
Boris Diaw...........30
Tony Parker.........30
Gary Neal............28
Tiago Splitter.......27
Danny Green........25
Patty Mills...........24
DeJuan Blair.........23
Kawhi Leonard......21
Cory Joseph.........21

Team average (without Byars)....27.9 (Very rough estimate based on whole numbers tbh, imho, iirc, and etc., somesuch and the like)

SenorSpur
07-19-2012, 09:39 PM
OKC beat us because they hit a freakish number of outside jumpers when they needed them, and KD was in Beast Mode for 4 straight games. If their bigs didn't hit 22/25 and KD didn't have 16pts in the 4th in game 4, we win the series 4-1. I don't see a huge skill difference between the two sides.

And I think you underestimate the possible improvement from within the team given a full pre-season. Remember, we only had Jax and Diaw for about 20 games before the playoffs. The other thing I'll mention is that our bench stopped scoring against OKC, but with a full year of Patty running the backup PG I think that'll be less of an issue. I think there's plenty of room for improvement in this team. You're right that D is the issue, but who knows what kind of mid-season or deadline trades might be worked to improve that... hell, add an enforcer like K-Mart and the front court starts to look a lot tougher.

Anyway, I don't share your pessimism. I think we'll be right up there again, and with a few breaks could go all the way. It's a long-shot, but at this point in Tim and Manu's career, everything is! ;)

The problem I see is that older teams don't necessarily get better. Typically, they've already reached their threshold and without adding to the core, they can only hope to be ready and healthy come playoff time. In looking at the rest of the roster beyond the Big Three, the question becomes where will the improvements come from? Obviously Leonard, Green and possibly Splitter should continue an upward surge in consistency and production. And I'll give you the fact that Mills has a chance to really help upgrade the backup PG position. Outside of that, where are the incremental improvements with the rest of the rotation? And let's not forget that this team has a very flawed rotation of bigs, two of which (Bonner and Blair) are incapable of garnering floor time in the playoffs because of their skill limitations. That translates into 2 wasted roster spots, too much dependence on Duncan and a continued level of defensive inferiority. I really like the suggestion of adding K-Mart to this group. Subbing him for either Bonner or Blair would help immensely, which gets back to my argument of 1 or 2 positional upgrades needed for the Spurs to keep pace and try to close the gap.

On the flip side, younger teams do get better and OKC is certainly chief among them. OKC is obviously a very talented, extremely young team. However, their biggest advantage is they're figuring out how to win and paying the apprencticeship dues along the way. With each failed playoff series, they're coming back hungrier and more motivated than the previous year. There is every reason to believe that trend will continue and they'll be incrementally better again next year.

racm
07-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Add to that hugely improved perimeter D. Gone were the days when creaky Finley and RJ started on the wings.

Solid D
07-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Add to that hugely improved perimeter D. Gone were the days when creaky Finley and RJ started on the wings.

It's a fair point. Jack is a better defender than RJ plus Boris Diaw is a surprisingly good post defender for his height. Not since Robert Horry, have the Spurs had someone (to help Timmy) as adept at defending post-ups and battles on the block. Boris even surprised Pop.

DPG21920
07-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Soild - do you think Boris really surprised Pop? I mean, we were all discussing how Boris was a solid post defender (especially when engaged) and it was not that big of a surprise to see him do well there IMO.

Solid D
07-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Soild - do you think Boris really surprised Pop? I mean, we were all discussing how Boris was a solid post defender (especially when engaged) and it was not that big of a surprise to see him do well there IMO.

If you take Pop at his word, then yes. He said so in his Summer League interview in Vegas the other day.

racm
07-19-2012, 10:53 PM
I think Diaw struck Pop initially as simply a passing stretch 4.

Solid D
07-19-2012, 11:00 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/games/hawks/2012/07/15/1521200012_SAS_popovich_intv.nba/

Yeah, true racm. DPG21920, here is the interview.. toward the end (6 or 7 minutes in). He said he didn't even know Boris was a defender but he was very, very good at it.

DPG21920
07-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks, Solid. I can't believe that would be that big of a surprise to Pop when it seemed to be pretty common knowledge around here. I wonder if coaches get so caught up with their own team that they really don't keep up around the league?

Spurs da champs
07-19-2012, 11:29 PM
It's a fair point. Jack is a better defender than RJ plus Boris Diaw is a surprisingly good post defender for his height. Not since Robert Horry, have the Spurs had someone (to help Timmy) as adept at defending post-ups and battles on the block. Boris even surprised Pop.

Tim still needs help protecting the rim, I'm shocked Spurs don't go after Whiteside.

Duncan2177
07-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Tim still needs help protecting the rim, I'm shocked Spurs don't go after Whiteside.

Screw that go after Kenyon,Laundry or Milicic.

Solid D
07-19-2012, 11:35 PM

Well, since the Spurs don't want to go over the Lux Tax line of $70.3M and they are at roughly $69.2M without counting Byars, they would have to move a contract. That's easier said than done, especially when you have a known quantity under contract and you are risking that against a lesser known quantity in Whiteside. No doubt he's long.

deibero
07-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Wow Mcdonald just ripped the shit out of Garcia's article. He even basically copied the title and the quotes.

Really sad!

http://mobile.mysa.com/mysa/db_41315/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=AaWOIhWU

Duncan2177
07-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Well, since the Spurs don't want to go over the Lux Tax line of $70.3M and they are at roughly $69.2M without counting Byars, they would have to move a contract. That's easier said than done, especially when you have a known quantity under contract and you are risking that against a lesser known quantity in Whiteside. No doubt he's long.

Let's say Kenyon,Laundry or Milicic wanted to sign with the spurs for the min, same thing?

Spurs da champs
07-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Let's say Kenyon,Laundry or Milicic wanted to sign with the spurs for the min, same thing?

You mean Carl Landry? Kenyon is likely the most realistic of the 3 but I have to ask why do people want Darko, he's just awful & Landry is basically no better @ defense then Bonner/Blair. Enough with undersized 4's, Spurs need a power forward that can play some defense.

Spurs da champs
07-20-2012, 12:14 AM

But these known quantities Blair & Bonner suck ass, no? If the Spurs waive Blair right now, can they go after Whiteside? I here his contract isn't guaranteed till January?

Duncan2177
07-20-2012, 01:07 AM
You mean Carl Landry? Kenyon is likely the most realistic of the 3 but I have to ask why do people want Darko, he's just awful & Landry is basically no better @ defense then Bonner/Blair. Enough with undersized 4's, Spurs need a power forward that can play some defense.

Yes Landry :lol

Kidd K
07-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Btw guys, Bonner has a 1m buyout after this season, so if they don't want him, they can cut him and not even pay 1/3rd of his salary for the season after. I doubt he'll be around much longer.

tbh, despite this stuff about being a "small market team", Forbes claims the Spurs are in the top 5-10 for "most profitable NBA franchises" almost every year, which means they're spending a lot less than they probably could be.

I'm not bitching about the job the front office has been doing, but it does lead me to question why they are being so cheap with the pursestrings when they're technically an extremely profitable franchise with 15-20 million dollars a year of excess earnings going directly to the Spurs' owner's personal bank account. None of that cash could be intelligently spent? Really?

Just to put it into perspective, yeah the Lakers make more money. . .about 30m more per year. But their team revenue is nearly 80m higher. So they're spending an extra 50m on the team. The Knicks operating income is only a couple mil higher than ours, but their revenue again, is nearly 80m higher. We have the second lowest revenue to operating income ratio in the league (average over last 5 seasons, not this last single season).

The Bulls are the only team that's even cheaper than we are, and, quite ironically, that's my second favorite team. I'm cursed with two cheap ass owners. Even worse, my favorite baseball team was recrently purchased by a dude who's by far the cheapest guy of the three. Thanks god.

Long story short, I don't buy it that we "don't have the money" to keep certain guys or go out and sign people or go into the tax. . .because we clearly do. Top 10 in revenue (barely), #2 in profit margin (based on %, not gross margin, which would favor teams with higher revenue and expendetures and not accurately portray real profit margin). I used to think we didn't have the cash, but it turns out we do and the owner just doesn't want to spend it. He's earned somewhere in the realm of 200-250m cash (after expenses) in the Duncan era alone, and enjoyed his team's overall value double since drafting him.

Standing pat is a cheap ass move imo. Add something. The Spurs aren't going to be championship caliber for much longer. Possibly starting with this season. I'd like to see at least some last attempts be made to get a title with Duncan. Just one more and I'm set. And yes, I realize that's sorta spoiled. . .but fuck it, I am.
:flag:

Kidd K
07-20-2012, 06:33 AM

I'm pessimistic about it, but for different reasons.

I agree when you say, there wasn't a big skill difference between SA and OKC last year. I agree. In fact, I think we were better. I also think we should've won the series, and that we would've beaten Miami.

However. . .where I'm not confident is next season. (I was confident the last two seasons fyi, and yes, before they st arted winning a lot too. before the 2011 season I was saying Spurs will be top 3 (I predicted a 2 or 3 conference finish, depending on how Dallas did. I had Lakers at 1 or 2). Literally I said that on insidehoops. You can probably find it if you google for it.

Why I'm not confident for next season is because I think last year was our last good chance, and possibly our best chance. The rest of the NBA was in coast mode most of the season with the exception of about 4 teams. SA, OKC, Miami, and Chicago were in championship mode last year, everyone else were just a sad collection of cucks that didn't try hard enough.

This year, that isn't going to happen again. Everyone's going to be trying hard, we're going to be targeted due to back to back #1 seed finishes, and I seriously doubt we're going to enjoy the same health we've enjoyed the last two seasons. . .because let's face it, we've had more seasons derailed with injury since 2007 than we've had seasons of full health. 2008-2010 were all riddled with injury, last year we had a good season of health. . until the worst possible time to not be healthy anymore. Last year we were healthy when it mattered and lost.

Are we going to luck out again? Now that we're older? Now than LA is reloading? Now that it's proven that OKC will get "Lakers calls" against us? Now that OKC's more experienced? Now that Miami is fuckin stacked?

Think about it. Most likely scenerio this next season will be this: We finish 3rd. . .behind OKC and LA (in whatever order), and draw some thug team at 6 like Memphis or Portland and get banged up in the first round. Then we have to consecutively play: LA, OKC, and Miami all in a row without HCA, and knowing full well all 3 teams are: younger, more talented, and preferred by Stern to win instead of us.

It's hard to be excited when we're not making any improvements. We're older and not going to be as healthy. Other than Leonard, who's really going to be improved from last year? Parker won't be better. . .who knows what's up with his eye. Duncan is older, and isn't going to do any better than his uptick in production from last year. Diaw's conditioning is a big question mark. Bonner's going to be terrible. Jackson. . .is he done? He was terrible during the season last year and mediocre all playoffs until the OKC series. He's probably getting traded for a used ball rack next year and a late 1st rounder anyway. Ginobili wasn't the same as last season. . .or even close to it. Blair seems to have gotten worse. Neal seemed to have gotten worse. Splitter looked okay for awhile, then pulled a Darko on us late in the season and in the playoffs. Danny Green. . .who even knows what the guy's thinking anymore?

Other than Leonard. . .who do we expect to be better? Because there's a long list of guys who seem like they will either not improve or possibly get worse or be injured more. It's sad, and I'd like to see something new for at least some kind of safety net in case someone important goes down. But we just don't have it. Our team has to be 100% to even have a chance, and even then it's not neccessarily going to be a great one considering our main competition is now better and we're "standing pat" despite clearly having the funds to not do that.