PDA

View Full Version : Weather Experts Only Please

DMC
07-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Can tornadoes form in the middle of a storm? Let's say the edge has passed you and you've gotten rain and it's moved on, does the tail end of a storm produce tornadoes as well?

DMC
07-18-2012, 07:27 PM
I only voted so I can see the poll

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm somewhat of a weather guru but don't want to taint the poll.

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 07:40 PM
haha.. tainted pole

CubanSucks
07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I only voted cause I wanted to feel important. Plus I'm pretty sure it happened in The Day After Tomorrow, and ice can chase you and be stopped by a wooden door

CubanMustGo
07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Didn't vote, but:

"Many tornadoes are the tail end of a mesocyclone and they have a characteristic "hook echo" signature on a radar screen."

http://www.rutherfordcountytn.gov/ema/tornado.htm

Maclovio Manny
07-18-2012, 08:27 PM
When it comes to weather...almost anything can happen.

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 08:31 PM
I only voted so I can see the poll
Same here, but...

Is there really such a thing as a weather expert? If so, why are meteorologists wrong so often?

cantthinkofanything
07-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Same here, but...

Is there really such a thing as a weather expert? If so, why are meteorologists wrong so often?

real experts don't become meteorologists. it's the same reason why I don't write books on how to beat the market, how to play cards, or how to pick up beautiful women. I like my unfair advantage.

lakerhaterade
07-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Same here, but...

It's all about understanding weather models and using the best of one's ability to give a reasonable prediction. One can't predict the weather 100% of the time.

I think this is a jab at people like Manny who periodically own your uneducated ass.

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 09:37 PM
It's all about understanding weather models and using the best of one's ability to give a reasonable prediction. One can't predict the weather 100% of the time.

Yep, that's all it is. Predicting a chaotic system that we have not yet properly modeled.

I think this is a jab at people like Manny who periodically own your uneducated ass.

It absolutely is a jab. I'm sorry if you think he owns my ass. He doesn't. Have you noticed how he always sidesteps the things I find relevant? Changes the discussion to something that doesn't apply? May sound good to those who cannot follow him like I do, but he's just a college educated shithead who snickers when he thinks he's pulling the wool over people's eyes.

CubanMustGo
07-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Yep, that's all it is. Predicting a chaotic system that we have not yet properly modeled.

It absolutely is a jab. I'm sorry if you think he owns my ass. He doesn't. Have you noticed how he always sidesteps the things I find relevant? Changes the discussion to something that doesn't apply? May sound good to those who cannot follow him like I do, but he's just a college educated shithead who snickers when he thinks he's pulling the wool over people's eyes.

http://helian.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/pot-kettle.jpg

CubanSucks
07-19-2012, 04:50 AM
^ that's a bad drawing

MannyIsGod
07-19-2012, 09:23 AM
How often are meteorologists wrong, WC. Quantify it for us all.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2012, 09:28 AM
OP is an oddly framed question but I think I understand what you're asking. Tornadoes form on different circulations but most of the classic tornadoes you see are formed on mesocyclones. Waterspouts, Landspouts, and tornadoes on landfalling tropical systems form in different but similar situations.

Anyway, after a storm has passed you, you might still get some light rain but the majority of the energy associated with that particular cell is gone. Tornodoes require a large influx of energy to form and as such do not form in low energy environments (usually - exceptions to every rule etc). If you're in cool stable air after a storm has passed a tornado is not likely to form. In short, the answer to your question is no but there are rare exceptions to the rule.