PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard to Join Lakers

BatManu20
07-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Via Twitter a few minutes ago:

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Sources confirm @JRudolphSports report that Dwight Howard is ready to join Lakers. If traded to LA DH will re-sign long-term with team.

*IF this is true and goes through, the Lakers gotta be the favorites to win the West imo w/ Kobe, Nash, Howard, and Gasol. Here's to hoping Stern works his veto magic again.

CGD
07-19-2012, 01:49 AM
I'll wait to hear it from someone other than Broussard.

That said, You had to think that once the Nets fell off as candidates that the Lakers are/were the only real choice where he would sign a long term deal.

TE
07-19-2012, 01:50 AM
They'll be neck and neck with OKC.

They still need to add more to their bench and a capable back-up PG.

Sean Cagney
07-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Here we go with this crap, good lord who could not see this one coming here? LA will always get these type of trades and so on! Last year was a year we could have won it all and the chips fellin place for it alot of times, this year it will not happen. I knew this crap would happen, literally.

chazley
07-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Dwight Howard is not joining the Lakers.

Yet.

baseline bum
07-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Bynum still has to agree to it, which means it'll have to be a three-way with Houston. Tits doesn't want to sign the extension in Orlando.

ThePop
07-19-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm also ready to join the Lakers, where do I sign?

Venti Quattro
07-19-2012, 02:04 AM
I'm also ready to join the Lakers, where do I sign?

GNSFs not allowed. :nope

Duncan2177
07-19-2012, 02:05 AM
If Kobe is so great why does he need this much help, It's BS :rolleyes

Venti Quattro
07-19-2012, 02:05 AM

Magic and Bird had a lot of help, and they are so great.

racm
07-19-2012, 02:07 AM
They still have Mike Brown as coach, tbh...

DeadlyDynasty
07-19-2012, 02:07 AM

It's not about Kobe. It's about NBA royalty doing what they do:lol

Duncan2177
07-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Magic and Bird had a lot of help, and they are so great.

Did Jordan? All he had was Scottie Pippen and good role players not 4 star players.

racm
07-19-2012, 02:10 AM
It's not about Kobe. It's about NBA royalty doing what they do:lol

Tbh even the mid 2000s Spurs were stacked

Venti Quattro
07-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Did Jordan? All he had was Scottie Pippen and good role players not 4 star players.

Just because you have a lot of help, that prevents you from being great? :lol

LeBron 2012. :nope :nope :nope

Obstructed_View
07-19-2012, 02:16 AM
That doesn't mean there's a deal, it just means Howard would sign if traded there. Word on the street was that the Lakers were going to try to get him and figured he'd fall in love with LA when he was there, which he probably would. WHen money's the same, does anyone ever leave the Lakers voluntarily?

scanry
07-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Dwight will put them over OKC probably for a year or two depending on them resigning Harden & Ibaka. However I don't see them stopping Dwight & Gasol next year or the year after. Moreover they have Nash running point now. :wow Only team standing between them winning a championship is the Miami Heat.

I would love to see how Dwight responds with Nash as his PG. We could very well see a career year from Howard. :wow

Spurs4#5
07-19-2012, 02:27 AM
I don't think Dwight Howard makes much more of a difference than Bynum does on the Lakers...even if they get Howard the best addition they got this summer was Nash

Venti Quattro
07-19-2012, 02:28 AM
I don't think Dwight Howard makes much more of a difference than Bynum does on the Lakers...even if they get Howard the best addition they got this summer was Nash

True, but Dwight fits much better with Nash as compared to slowpoke Bynum.

And he could probably start learning some real post game. No offense to Ewing, but I'd rather bring in KAJ.

Spurs da champs
07-19-2012, 02:55 AM
True, but Dwight fits much better with Nash as compared to slowpoke Bynum.

And he could probably start learning some real post game. No offense to Ewing, but I'd rather bring in KAJ.

lol This Dude has had Ewing & Hakeem mentor him yet he's still has got no real moves. I doubt Kareem would be much different, tbh.

But if the trade is not imminent then don't be surprised if Howard changes his mind.

rascal
07-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Lakers front office > Spurs front office

The lakers have a history of getting the top players via trades and free agency(front office moves), the Spurs build through the draft and bring back the same team year after year.

Kobe, Shaq,Odom, Gasol, Nash, Howard, Chris Paul(shot down)
All acquired through an aggressive front office
None were their draft picks

Redshadows
07-19-2012, 05:03 AM
lol @ new CBA

MI21
07-19-2012, 05:27 AM
:lol entire NBA

Short of the Spurs trading for Andrew Bynum themselves, they don't stand a chance against the Lakers.

therealtruth
07-19-2012, 05:29 AM
While the Spurs stand pat and continue to believe in Bonner the Lakers get better.

TE
07-19-2012, 05:33 AM
While the Spurs stand pat and continue to believe in Bonner the Lakers get better.

The Real Truth, imo.

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

007nites
07-19-2012, 05:39 AM
I think we could easily beat the Lakers. They look good on paper but I doubt they will be able to function as a team. With a new starting PG and C and a head coach like Brown it will take them a while to get things going.

Bruno
07-19-2012, 05:53 AM
If it happens, Spurs are fucked. They were still fucked by OKC being better so it doesn't really change their issue. Spurs ceiling would be to be the third best team in the west instead of the second one.

As an answer to this trade, Spurs will need to sign a random 7 footer. He doesn't need to be great or skilled and will get a lot of DNP CD but he will be useful against Howard to play some physical defense and gives his 6 fouls.

Russo21
07-19-2012, 06:07 AM
You are talking like this is a done deal?

I haven't found any information confiriming this so it could fall through again or be total bullshit.

If it happens, just do hack-a-howard when playing the lakers to get them out of rythm and send him to the bench. Thye'd just about be favorites in the west if they get him. Fuck.

That said i'd be pissed if they only got rid of bynum for a monster like dwight, if i were the magic id be demanding gasol and bynum.

Anyway, can't Bynum reject the trade if he wants to? Some term of his contract?

MI21
07-19-2012, 06:08 AM
If it happens, Spurs are fucked. They were still fucked by OKC being better so it doesn't really change their issue. Spurs ceiling would be to be the third best team in the west instead of the second one.

As an answer to this trade, Spurs will need to sign a random 7 footer. He doesn't need to be great or skilled and will get a lot of DNP CD but he will be useful against Howard to play some physical defense and gives his 6 fouls.

No need, mate.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/s848U0C-mAg/0.jpg

Russo21
07-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Howard
Gasol
Jamison
Kobe
Nash

Fucken hell hey

007nites
07-19-2012, 06:14 AM

It won't happen. That's what Bonner is for.

TE
07-19-2012, 06:28 AM

Darko Millic?? :lol :stirpot:

No, but really, the FO needs to seek a tough physical post to throw at Howard.

If this thing goes down, it is isn't good for the Spurs in the short term (which matters most), at all.

Bruno
07-19-2012, 06:28 AM
No need, mate.

Well, Spurs do need to have Bonner on the court at the end of game to make clutch shots. They can't afford to have him fouling out because they will be toasted in that case.

TE
07-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Howard
Gasol
Jamison
Kobe
Nash

Fucken hell hey

Jamison will come off the bench. If they keep World Peace, he'll start.

Formidable starting 5, if Kobe allows it to be.

TE
07-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Well, Spurs do need to have Bonner on the court at the end of game to make clutch shots. They can't afford to have him fouling out because they will be toasted in that case.

:lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2012, 06:32 AM
spurs going to counter by signing ajinca or zuller...

TE
07-19-2012, 06:36 AM
No need, mate.

Those are some crooked-ass teeth for a white guy.

Bruno
07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Darko Millic?? :lol :stirpot:

No, but really, the FO needs to seek a tough physical post to throw at Howard.

Darko would fit the bill on the court but it could create some chemistry issues because he shouldn't be fine with playing such a limited role.
Jason Collins or Przybilla would be good picks.

benefactor
07-19-2012, 06:48 AM
:lol meltdown

lakerhaterade
07-19-2012, 06:53 AM
:lol meltdown

So the Spurs should not be alarmed that the Lakers are in the midst of acquiring the best Center in the league? :wtf

benefactor
07-19-2012, 06:58 AM
They've been in the midst of it since the season ended.

It doesn't matter what Howard agrees to. Bynum still has to agree to an extension with Orlando(he's already said he's not going to) or they have to work a three way trade and ship him to Houston. We're pretty much in the same place we were yesterday.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 07:17 AM
So the Spurs should not be alarmed that the Lakers are in the midst of acquiring the best Center in the league? :wtf

Meh.

Getting alarmed won't change anything. Bynum and Howard are the two best centers in the league. The Lakers look to be better with Howard if he can return to his pre-surgery levels. It is what it is.

The new CBA created a more restrictive luxury tax system and most teams have to adjust their behavior because of it. The very richest teams don't. It never was an even playing field, and the new CBA actually increases the competitive advantage available to the wealthiest teams in the markets attractive to rich, young celebrities. With the occasional odd exception (OKC has one more year before they'll have to choose between Ibaka and Harden), NBA champions will come from Miami, LA, and NY for the foreseeable future.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-19-2012, 07:37 AM
It's the late 90s early 00s Portland dilemma: there's only one ball. Everyone thought they'd win a title. They didn't. Everyone REALLY thought the ring chaser 2004 Lakers would win. They didn't.

jag
07-19-2012, 07:46 AM

The Spurs were fucked anyway, so it's not like this move all the sudden rips the title out of the Spurs' hands. Even if the Spurs managed to get out of the West, their reward would be to play the Superfriends in Miami.

:lol There is no answer to this trade. I get what you're saying, but a garbage 7-footer doesn't all the sudden give the Spurs a better shot, at least not anymore than a garbage 6'10" redhead.

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2012, 07:53 AM
the new cba dont mean shit

stern the clown is all about ratings, he will get these fakers to the finals just like he did in 04 ....fck him and his cba bullshit, nba = wwe = loleufa

dunkman
07-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Howard improves the Lakers significantly, they will be the best team in the west.

Libri
07-19-2012, 07:59 AM
spurs going to counter by signing ajinca or zuller...

Bonner and Zeller on the same team :wow

:shootme

mountainballer
07-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Darko would fit the bill on the court but it could create some chemistry issues because he shouldn't be fine with playing such a limited role.
Jason Collins or Przybilla would be good picks.

did Nazr already sign with the Nets?
Shelden Williams is the other one that comes to mind when thinking about some physical inside presence along with some fouls.

Keepin' it real
07-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Howard is a lot more style than substance, so I welcome his move to LA. Makes the Lakers less of a threat.

SenorSpur
07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
The Spurs were fucked anyway, so it's not like this move all the sudden rips the title out of the Spurs' hands. Even if the Spurs managed to get out of the West, their reward would be to play the Superfriends in Miami.

:lol There is no answer to this trade. I get what you're saying, but a garbage 7-footer doesn't all the sudden give the Spurs a better shot, at least not anymore than a garbage 6'10" redhead.

...and why this choker continues to remain a Spur is a mystery to me.

Harry Callahan
07-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Lakers front office > Spurs front office

The lakers have a history of getting the top players via trades and free agency(front office moves), the Spurs build through the draft and bring back the same team year after year.

Kobe, Shaq,Odom, Gasol, Nash, Howard, Chris Paul(shot down)
All acquired through an aggressive front office
None were their draft picks

Apples and oranges here. The way the Lakers have been built over the last 40 years has been by sending inferior assets to cash stapped teams that were desparate and/or stupid.

Look at how LA acquired Wilt Chamberlain, Jabbar, Magic, James Worthy, Byron Scott, Shaq, Kobe, Gasol - the bulk of their top historical players. The pattern goes two ways - essentially the trading partner received a washed up player or mediocre talent and LA gets a future #1 draft pick. Lo and behold, the trading partner has an awful season and LA gets the first pick in the draft a year or two later for what turns out to be vastly inferior assets.

The other scenario is a player refuses to play or resign with his current team and forces a trade to LA. That's what happened with Jabbar, Shaq, Kobe, Chamberlain, etc. The team on the other end would get pennies on the dollar in those transactions too.

The teams that got the short end of the stick on these trades? The Bucks, the Jazz, the Cavaliers, the Magic, Grizzlies, Philly (76s I think). Generally small market teams with significant financial limitation.

Getting Howard for Bynum would be somewhat of a more equitable deal, but still Orlando is getting pennies on the dollar if this happens and Dwight re-ups for five years. Bynum has got major mental issues messing with his performance.

To say the current Lakers front office is without question better than the current Spurs front office is a little short sighted IMO. SA has never been the preferred destination of premium free agents, and a lot of LA's key aquisitions have been due to contractual differences or contractual expirations. The starry eyed player wants to go to LA for the opportunities outside of basketball. The Spurs don't have that card to play.

If you put Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak in San Antonio ten or fifteen years ago, switching places with Pop and RC, I would doubt the Spurs would have been as successful as they have been.

The only decent player the Lakers have drafted themselves the last 15 years is Bynum. Isn't the draft a significant portion of what a front offices does? That counts for something. Kupchak and Buss play a role in that, don't they?

The good news about the Laker trades or potentual trades would be that both Nash and Howard have material back issues that could cut things short for both of them.

In addition, Baby Drew can put a monkee wrench in all of this. With his current level of maturity, that could happen too. What would really be great is Orlando balks now and Bynum walks next summer to Cleveland or Orlando and takes away the only decent young player the Lakers have.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Apples and oranges here.

Nice post. You didn't even mention the little fact that the Lakers will outspend the Spurs by some 50 million dollars this season, inclusive luxury tax.

yavozerb
07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Howard signing an extension is only half the battle, any word on Bynum? If Bynum will not sign an extension (why would he?) then this trade is not happening....

Seventyniner
07-19-2012, 08:28 AM
If the small-market owners really want parity, they'll lock the players out one more time and put in a hard cap and non-guaranteed contracts. We'd lose at least a full season then.

That, or the economy finally recovers, the league and its owners start rolling in cash, and the small-market owners stop complaining.

Harry Callahan
07-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Nice post. You didn't even mention the little fact that the Lakers will outspend the Spurs by some 50 million dollars this season, inclusive luxury tax.

Right, with the local TV deals in place for each NBA team, the Lakers have several times more money to play with than the typical franchise due to the Time Warner (?) deal.

The NFL is the only league that understands how to structure its business model for the good of the league as a whole.

The "Haves" and "Have nots" scenario of the NBA and MLB is frustrating to most knowledgeable fans.

Harry Callahan
07-19-2012, 08:32 AM
If the small-market owners really want parity, they'll lock the players out one more time and put in a hard cap and non-guaranteed contracts. We'd lose at least a full season then.

That, or the economy finally recovers, the league and its owners start rolling in cash, and the small-market owners stop complaining.

I see some relocations for sure - maybe contraction in the NBA's near term future. A least one or two teams will move or go away.

spurspokesman
07-19-2012, 08:33 AM

:toast

cd98
07-19-2012, 08:44 AM
This deal will happen with either Bynum going to Houston or Cleaveland. Tough news for the western conference as this is a team that will beat everyone. Thank goodness we had a lockout ensure competitive balance.

yavozerb
07-19-2012, 08:48 AM
This deal will happen with either Bynum going to Houston or Cleaveland. Tough news for the western conference as this is a team that will beat everyone. Thank goodness we had a lockout ensure competitive balance.

Not so sure about that....Orlando is the key team in the trade and somebody is going to have to take on alot of shitty contracts and give them some picks..Only team that can do that is Houston and I am not sure if they like Bynum as much as Howard to take him on without a gurantee of an extension.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 08:48 AM

Competitive balance was always a secondary goal for ownership. Once the players caved on the economic issues, the owners stopped pretending that they really cared about competitive balance.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Not so sure about that....Orlando is the key team in the trade and somebody is going to have to take on alot of shitty contracts and give them some picks..Only team that can do that is Houston and I am not sure if they like Bynum as much as Howard to take him on without a gurantee of an extension.

Plenty of complications remain, but the end game is certain. Howard's long term home will be in LA or NY.

yavozerb
07-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Plenty of complications remain, but the end game is certain. Howard's long term home will be in LA or NY.

agree with the 2 destinations for Howard...Still love to see Bynum slow this process down for a while by not agreeing to an extention with anyone.

MaNu4Tres
07-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Lakers haven't needed the drafted since 1996.

Stay classy NBA.

cd98
07-19-2012, 09:59 AM
To the Laker's credit, the only time they were in the lottery in the Kobe Bryant era, they drafted Bynum, who will bring them yet another franchise center.

Dwight isn't Jabbar, Wilt, or Shaq, but he will tip the balance in LA's favor.

CitizenDwayne
07-19-2012, 10:00 AM

Stay classy NBA.
So true. A friend of mine was saying "the Lakers don't look so good this upcoming season", and I argued "they'll find a way, they always do."

The next day they got Nash, and now this. wtf.

RodNIc91
07-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Meh.

Getting alarmed won't change anything. Bynum and Howard are the two best centers in the league. The Lakers look to be better with Howard if he can return to his pre-surgery levels. It is what it is.

The new CBA created a more restrictive luxury tax system and most teams have to adjust their behavior because of it. The very richest teams don't. It never was an even playing field, and the new CBA actually increases the competitive advantage available to the wealthiest teams in the markets attractive to rich, young celebrities. With the occasional odd exception (OKC has one more year before they'll have to choose between Ibaka and Harden), NBA champions will come from Miami, LA, and NY for the foreseeable future.

What do you mean Mel_13 ? Can you further explain? Thanks

jag
07-19-2012, 10:15 AM

Stay classy NBA.

They didn't do so bad for themselves in 2005.

SA210
07-19-2012, 11:27 AM
But the Spurs stand pat :lmao

dbreiden83080
07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
OKC still beats them..

dbreiden83080
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM

He won't be winning another ring

No worries..

Dex
07-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Man, if this happens, Dwight's rebounding numbers are going to go through the roof.

SA210
07-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Man, if this happens, Dwight's rebounding numbers are going to go through the roof.

Especially against the Spurs

dunkman
07-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Stern will make the things happen, he needs the Lakers back in the finals. Lakers vs Heat is a dream come true for him. OKC can't really compete with the Heat.

tmtcsc
07-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Nice misleading title. This isn't even news. Howard's commitment to signing an extension has never been an issue with LA or Houston pulling the trigger.

The backdoor sweep by OKC sucked but I'm not ready to dismiss the fact that our current team won 20 games in a row and looked AWESOME in the process. The passing and scoring was outstanding. Game 5 was the killer. We couldn't make stops and OKC found a way to get them.

With more experience from our younger guys and an improved defense, we'll be able to challenge for the West again. They need to stay healthy and Pop needs to manage the minutes of the older guys again. We'll have the depth to do it.

LA will be tough but that head-case Howard will need to get chemistry with Kobe and Nash. It will be Kobe vs Shaq II if it doesn't come together. Howard and Kobe are both Divas and there is no Phil Jackson to promote harmony.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
:lol meltdown:toast

weebo
07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Like someone said in an earlier post, there's only one basketball, and with Kobe chucking it , it doesn't matter how great their line up looks on paper.

Besides OKC imo is still the team to beat. They're younger, faster, play good D and they're hungry for a title.

tesseractive
07-19-2012, 11:59 AM

With all the expansion teams, the league was diluted from the 90s through the mid 2000s. Lately, teams have had to be deeper, like they were in the 60s (when there were only 8 teams) and 80s (after most of the ABA teams folded).

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 12:00 PM
What do you mean Mel_13 ? Can you further explain? Thanks

Once teams exceed the luxury tax threshold they have to pay a tax for each dollar over that limit. Under the 2005 CBA, that tax was one dollar for each dollar over the limit. Additionally, teams under the tax limit receive a distribution from the taxes collected each year. The net result is that most teams in most seasons treat the tax limit as if it were a hard cap. In the six years of the 2005 CBA, 15 NBA teams never exceeded the tax. Eleven teams paid the tax in 2009-10. In the other five years, the number of taxpaying teams ranged between 5 and 8. The Spurs paid the tax in 3 of the 6 years.

The 2011 CBA makes the tax more punitive. It remains a dollar for dollar tax for the first two seasons of the new CBA, but will increase in 2013-14 with further increases for repeat offenders the following season.

A team like the Lakers, for example, will be at least 20M over the tax limit this year. Let's call it 20M. Their tax on 20M is an additional 20M. Beginning in 2013-14, a team that is 20M over the limit will pay an additional 45M in tax. The following season that amount would be 65M for repeat offenders.

Only the very richest teams can ignore the consequences of the new tax and the competitive advantage the richest teams have will only increase. The Laker acquisition of Steve Nash is a perfect example. The cost in salary and tax for three seasons of Steve Nash will be at least 60M and could be much, much more. Very few teams in the NBA could even consider such an acquisition.

The details of the luxury tax under the 2011 CBA can be found here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21

MultiTroll
07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm a source.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/14/Ralph_Wiggum.png/200px-Ralph_Wiggum.png

Solid D
07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/content/Image/10-22-2008/Jemele-Hill.jpg........Mike Brown has an embarrassment of riches!

tesseractive
07-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Like someone said in an earlier post, there's only one basketball, and with Kobe chucking it , it doesn't matter how great their line up looks on paper.

Besides OKC imo is still the team to beat. They're younger, faster, play good D and they're hungry for a title.

OKC is fairly well-positioned against Howard with Perkins in the lineup, but Howard doesn't have to have the ball in his hands all the time to be effective -- he'll massively improve their interior defense and rebounding.

If the deal happens, I think I like the Lakers chances, though it should be a good series.

yavozerb
07-19-2012, 12:17 PM
But the Spurs stand pat :lmao

:lol, at those thinking the spurs can counter a trade like this..

DPG21920
07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
It's simply amazing how LA can just keep reloading even when it looks like they have extremely limited assets (no depth, salary capped out...). Testament to the way they operate and find ways to stay in the mix.

Findog
07-19-2012, 12:47 PM
It's simply amazing how LA can just keep reloading even when it looks like they have extremely limited assets (no depth, salary capped out...). Testament to the way they operate and find ways to stay in the mix.

Testament to luck, skill and being a destination for free agents because LA is a glamour media market with warm weather and beaches.

Assuming the Magic can get Bynum to sign an extension, it's the most logical trade scenario. Orlando can get back 70 cents on the dollar for Howard with Bynum. Anytime you trade a superstar you're not getting back equal value. All of the other offers have been like 35 or 40 cents on the dollar.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 12:49 PM

:greedy:greedy:greedy

benefactor
07-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Testament to luck, skill and being a destination for free agents because LA is a glamour media market with warm weather and beaches.

Exactly...look at the Jamison signing. He could have had more money with other teams but chose to play in LA for the minimum. It is what it is and all the crying and melting down in the world isn't going to change things.

MaNu4Tres
07-19-2012, 01:07 PM
They didn't do so bad for themselves in 2005.

One decent exception. :lol

Cane
07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Let the hacking begin!

http://i36.tinypic.com/262y83q.jpg

MaNu4Tres
07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
I can't wait for Dwight Howard to join the Lakers, so I can hear the all the idiots next summer comparing Kobe to Jordan (if Kobe gets his 6th ring).

These idiots totally disregarding that in his first 7 years, Kobe played with the most dominant big man of the past 30 years (Shaq). All while, never winning a Finals MVP during this time (3 titles, no MVPs; speaks volumes,tbh).

These same idiots also never ever bring up the time where Kobe had a Lebron/Cleveland-like supporting cast and never managed to lead his team past the 1st round from 2005-2007 (3 years straight years; 1 year he didn't even get his team to the playoffs).

Oh I can't wait to hear the idiots again.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 01:20 PM
One decent exception. :lol

Masterful tank job. Lakerfan should be prohibited from mentioning 1997 after what they did in 2005.

DPG21920
07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Exactly...look at the Jamison signing. He could have had more money with other teams but chose to play in LA for the minimum. It is what it is and all the crying and melting down in the world isn't going to change things.

Well I agree but I think overall LA doesn't get enough credit for what they do. It's true they have an advantage on locale and money, but they still make smart basketball decisions and build good teams. Orlando has similar city attributes as a draw and NY does to + money but look at the difference.

Not saying LA has the best FO but that they maximize their advantages.

Just have to see how it all snakes (shakes?) out

RodNIc91
07-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Once teams exceed the luxury tax threshold they have to pay a tax for each dollar over that limit. Under the 2005 CBA, that tax was one dollar for each dollar over the limit. Additionally, teams under the tax limit receive a distribution from the taxes collected each year. The net result is that most teams in most seasons treat the tax limit as if it were a hard cap. In the six years of the 2005 CBA, 15 NBA teams never exceeded the tax. Eleven teams paid the tax in 2009-10. In the other five years, the number of taxpaying teams ranged between 5 and 8. The Spurs paid the tax in 3 of the 6 years.

The 2011 CBA makes the tax more punitive. It remains a dollar for dollar tax for the first two seasons of the new CBA, but will increase in 2013-14 with further increases for repeat offenders the following season.

A team like the Lakers, for example, will be at least 20M over the tax limit this year. Let's call it 20M. Their tax on 20M is an additional 20M. Beginning in 2013-14, a team that is 20M over the limit will pay an additional 45M in tax. The following season that amount would be 65M for repeat offenders.

Only the very richest teams can ignore the consequences of the new tax and the competitive advantage the richest teams have will only increase. The Laker acquisition of Steve Nash is a perfect example. The cost in salary and tax for three seasons of Steve Nash will be at least 60M and could be much, much more. Very few teams in the NBA could even consider such an acquisition.

The details of the luxury tax under the 2011 CBA can be found here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21

Thanks bro! I didn't know the lakers were THAT rich

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Not saying LA has the best FO but that they maximize their advantages.

It's fair to say that the Lakers do a better job of maximizing their unfair advantages than other similarly blessed franchises.

DPG21920
07-19-2012, 01:35 PM
:lol That's all I was trying to say

Drom John
07-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Lakers are to Yankees as Knicks are to Cubs.

tesseractive
07-19-2012, 01:59 PM
It's fair to say that the Lakers do a better job of maximizing their unfair advantages than other similarly blessed franchises.

Just look at the Knicks. :lol

SA210
07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
:lol, at those thinking the spurs can counter a trade like this..

:lol at those thinking Spurs are fine the way they are

Sean Cagney
07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I can't wait for Dwight Howard to join the Lakers, so I can hear the all the idiots next summer comparing Kobe to Jordan (if Kobe gets his 6th ring).

These idiots totally disregarding that in his first 7 years, Kobe played with the most dominant big man of the past 30 years (Shaq). All while, never winning a Finals MVP during this time (3 titles, no MVPs; speaks volumes,tbh).

These same idiots also never ever bring up the time where Kobe had a Lebron/Cleveland-like supporting cast and never managed to lead his team past the 1st round from 2005-2007 (3 years straight years; 1 year he didn't even get his team to the playoffs).

Oh I can't wait to hear the idiots again.

I can wait, believe me.... I don't want him to get his 6th ring nor for LA to just pass the Spurs up like that, believe me it will not be pretty.
:lol at those thinking Spurs are fine the way they are

Their not, last year the stars aligned to make it to the finals and they came up short. Believe it or not most in here that was their last run they will have that deep into the playoffs and within two games of the finals. I love the Spurs but it's over unless they get a younger superstar to join the team and the lottery they will not see soon.

Sportcamper
07-19-2012, 03:21 PM
If this trade goes down it will be a tough one to accept…The Lakers are known for developing young talent & making them into superstars….Elgin, Jerry, Magic, Worthy, Byron to name just a few…Heck the Lakers staff is so superior to the rest of the NBA’s that they even take H.S. kids & make them into superstars…Kobe, Bynum….I just question if Dwight is worthy of the honor to wear the Purple & Gold…

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 03:23 PM
If this trade goes down it will be a tough one to accept…The Lakers are known for developing young talent & making them into superstars….Elgin, Jerry, Magic, Worthy, Byron to name just a few…Heck the Lakers staff is so superior to the rest of the NBA’s that they even take H.S. kids & make them into superstars…Kobe, Bynum….I just question if Dwight is worthy of the honor to wear the Purple & Gold…

:lmao

xmas1997
07-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I thought the new CBA was supposed to solve problems, or rather abuses, such as these.

TimmehC
07-19-2012, 07:41 PM
SC, trollin' hard.

Solid D
07-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Side Note for gnsfs: Historically, Sportcamper has one of the better senses of humor in this place.

Her comments should be taken as such.

benefactor
07-20-2012, 04:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8182883/agent-dwight-howard-sign-extension-team-explore-free-agency

You can all put your razors back up for now.

TE
07-20-2012, 05:14 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8182883/agent-dwight-howard-sign-extension-team-explore-free-agency

You can all put your razors back up for now.

:lol

Kidd K
07-20-2012, 05:44 AM
I don't understand why anybody would act alerted by anything Chris Broussard says. The only "source" that retard uses is his own ass, where he pulls this "information" from.

First of all, Dwight has zero pull in where he goes anymore. The Magic are just trying to get anything for him at this point. They should have traded him last year for prospects and draft picks like the Jazz did with Deron and the Nuggets did with Carmelo. Both teams got a hell of a lot back for both guys. Imo, they got well over what each player was even worth.

The Magic, in the "infinite wisdom", thought they'd be able to get even more than two of the most lopsided mid-season trades in the last 5 years at least. . .possibly last 10-15 years. Lopsided, at least in terms of cheap young talent and good draft picks given up for a dude they could've just signed as a free agent a short time later.

So the Magic didn't pull the trigger, re-signed Howard for another season thinking they'd get better offers next year, and WHOOPS, Dwight Howard throws his back out, has to get surgeory, will miss most of the season right up until shortly before the trade deadline where he certainly won't look great before then, and has topped off the shit sundae by running his mouth about how he won't sign a long term deal with anyone but teams that have nothing but garbage to offer in return. . .scaring off most potential trade suiters.

Good job Orlando. Biggest front office fail in awhile. We should make a thread about the biggest front office fails of this millenium and see how high this one ranks. It's probably top 5 at least.

K-State Spur
07-20-2012, 06:52 AM
So the Magic didn't pull the trigger, re-signed Howard for another season thinking they'd get better offers next year, and WHOOPS, Dwight Howard throws his back out, has to get surgeory, will miss most of the season right up until shortly before the trade deadline where he certainly won't look great before then, and has topped off the shit sundae by running his mouth about how he won't sign a long term deal with anyone but teams that have nothing but garbage to offer in return. . .scaring off most potential trade suiters.

1) What better deal was out there for them during the year last year? For the most part, the rumors we were hearing then are the same rumors we have heard this offseason.

2) I don't think the Magic thought they'd get a better haul - I think they thought they still had a chance to keep their franchise player long term. DHo opting in for this year would appear to show that he did have interest in remaining with ORL. Unfortunately, they're dealing with one of the more fickle personalities the league has seen in the past decade or so, and he changes his mind a few weeks later.

Budkin
07-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Is Chris Broussard ever right about anything?