PDA

View Full Version : Players on other Summer League teams that are intriquing?

SsKSpurs21
07-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Just like James Anderson, there are other players looking to showcase for teams other than the ones they are playing for.

Keith Benson

last had a 10 day contract with warriors.
Played fairly well against the Spurs summer league team

http://www.nba.com/summer-league/2012/players/sl_keith_benson/index.html

Hassan Whiteside

offensive game is weak but he can block
http://www.nba.com/summer-league/2012/players/sl_hassan_whiteside/index.html

Byron Mullens

currently under contract with bobcats. he has a $2M team option, but i cant find if it was picked up or not. he has been doing really well in SL so iam sure it will be. wonder if we can get him via trade
http://www.nba.com/summer-league/2012/players/sl_byron_mullens/index.html

I tried to keep an eye out for guards but i dont see anyone other than lottery picks, which we cant go after, being better than Corey Joseph.

anyone else see players that could be had as a free agent or via trade?

tdunk21
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
darius morris, but i guess we are set at PG position with mills, TP, de colo and cory

Bruno
07-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Malcolm Thomas is putting decent stats with two 10/13 games. Spurs liked him enough to keep him nearly one month last season.

On the paper, Thomas is a perfect fit for what Spurs would need at the backup PF spot behind Diaw.

AFBlue
07-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Lance Thomas has looked pretty good in the limited minutes I've seen non-Spurs summer league games. I also like Benson.

maverick1948
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
I looked at the bigs that would be available for the Spurs to sign or possible trade.

Trade would be for Jordan Williams of the Hawks. His summer stats arent great but the last season at Brooklyn, he showed some game. 6'9 with 7' wingspan. Can block shots and rebounds. Scoring could be added as he fit in the systemie ie. Leonard.

Keith Benson and Malcolm Thomas both would work in our system. Thomas already played with us and Benson seems to have that desire to excel. Benson is Hawks property while Thomas is a free agent.

Two other players got my attention. Cameron Moore and Frank Hassell. Both had good college stats. Both rebound and can score. Hassell is putting up good numbers in only 14 mins. At 23, he has time to mature and learn the position. He might be worth a look and if nothing else a shot at the Toros. Moore is 6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan who CAN block shots. In limited mins, his per 40 in the summer is 9 pts and 6 reb.

I dont know if any of these players could make the Spurs but they deserve a look-see before we set the final roster. We have 12 contracts that are guaranteed and 3 non. If one of these could make the roster in place of Blair or Bonner, we could trade them and Neal for a couple of 2nd round picks(31-40) and a small contract.

ChumpDumper
07-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Benson is Hawks propertyDid they sign him to another contract? They waived him from training camp last season and kept Ivan Johnson.
Hassell is putting up good numbers in only 14 mins. At 23, he has time to mature and learn the position. He might be worth a look and if nothing else a shot at the Toros. Waived out of Spurs training camp, not picked up by the Toros in favor of Zeller. Played well for Canton last season.

8FOR!3
07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
I've wanted Keith Benson ever since he entered the NBA draft, he would just be a decent fit.

Mel_13
07-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Benson is a free agent.

SenorSpur
07-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Benson is a much better fit for the Spurs defensive woes than either Bonner or Blair. Despite his offensive limitations, the Spurs have so much offense that they could roll with a defensive-minded post player and overcome his limitations.

DesignatedT
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Benson is intriguing. He looked good against the Spurs in SL. Haven't seem him play other than that though.

maverick1948
07-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Did they sign him to another contract? They waived him from training camp last season and kept Ivan Johnson.Waived out of Spurs training camp, not picked up by the Toros in favor of Zeller. Played well for Canton last season.

Didn't see where Benson was unrestricted FA but he is. Even better we can just sign him if he wants to play. As for Hassell, he played a heck of a lot better in the DLeague than Zeller. His per 40 was better than Benson. I think he is worth another look. Sometimes a player improves from his previous try with a team and Hassell may be one. I dont care if he was waived last season this is a new season.

elveinte
07-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Malcolm Thomas has a double-double in all four Bulls' games. He would've been a great pick for the Spurs to keep as a fifth big--too bad they passed on him.

venitian navigator
07-22-2012, 03:09 AM
If we trade Blair for draft picks, Benson and M. Thomas cold both became a good investment with two a la Neal contracs...they apparently play our two positions of need (considering that, after the SL, Joseph could have deserved a chance to play as our third string play maker, beside Parker and Mills).

iManu
07-23-2012, 03:40 AM
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photos/bensonlogo.jpg

Wild Cobra Kai
07-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Benson is a much better fit for the Spurs defensive woes than either Bonner or Blair. Despite his offensive limitations, the Spurs have so much offense that they could roll with a defensive-minded post player and overcome his limitations.

Not in the playoffs. They'll make sure the ball winds up in his hands by playing 5 on the other 4 offensive players. Aren't we supposed to be building a deep playoff team?

I've been an advocate for bringing back Mal Thomas for training camp. He seems like a good kid, good springs, and he hasn't been ruined by anyone else's lax system yet.

mountainballer
07-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Unsurprisingly, other teams after Thomas, too. Bellinelli deal apparently isn't precluding Bulls from continuing to chase FA 2G Randy Foye.
https://twitter.com/CSNBullsInsider

other teams? Bulls used BAE for Belinelli and parts of the MLE for Hinrich (3M) and Nazr (1.4M?). so maybe they have some MLE money left, that allows them to give a better than min offer to Thomas. maybe not. however, if Spurs are one of the teams after Thomas, they might be able to offer a slightly better deal than the Bulls.

Source confirms Marco Bellinelli's deal with the Bulls is done. Also: Bulls attempting to sign summer-leaguer Malcolm Thomas to 1-year deal.
https://twitter.com/CSNBullsInsider

jyra
07-24-2012, 05:36 AM
According to >this (http://www.hoopsworld.com/san-antonio-spurs-team-salary/)< the Spurs only have about 500k left of the MLE and BAE. Since you cannot combine these exceptions the Spurs can only offer a minimum deal.

I don't think it's that inconceivable that he chooses to go to the Spurs. In Chicago he would play behind Boozer and Gibson (and Radmanovic), while in San Antonio he would have the chance to beat out Bonner/Blair for a regular rotation spot. He should also be at least a little bit familiar with the team after last season's short stint.

@SpearsNBAYahoo (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo)

Forward Malcolm Thomas, the only free agent on the All-Summer League team, getting solid interest primarily from ATL, CHA, CHI and LAC.

Dro210
07-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Two other players got my attention. Cameron Moore and Frank Hassell. Both had good college stats. Both rebound and can score. Hassell is putting up good numbers in only 14 mins. At 23, he has time to mature and learn the position. He might be worth a look and if nothing else a shot at the Toros. Moore is 6'9 with a 7'1 wingspan who CAN block shots. In limited mins, his per 40 in the summer is 9 pts and 6 reb.

I was hoping I would see Cam's name in here.... Would be so awesome if he got a look from the Spurs. Last years C-USA Player of the Year, San Antonio native, graduate of Roosevelt HS. He puts in the work and his game improved noticably every year he was in college.

ajballer4
07-24-2012, 07:05 PM
I was hoping I would see Cam's name in here.... Would be so awesome if he got a look from the Spurs. Last years C-USA Player of the Year, San Antonio native, graduate of Roosevelt HS. He puts in the work and his game improved noticably every year he was in college.

Where'd he play college ball?

Wild Cobra Kai
07-24-2012, 08:38 PM

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but those are pretty crappy per40 numbers for summer league.

Dro210
07-24-2012, 09:12 PM
where'd he play college ball?

uab

maverick1948
07-24-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but those are pretty crappy per40 numbers for summer league.

Did anyone compare him to Timmy? Hell no. But he would make a good Toro to see if he can improve. Of course, if he is not better than Bonner then you dont want him.