PDA

View Full Version : What's to like about Damian Lillard? Everything!

tlongII
07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
http://portlandtribune.com/pt-rss/12-sports/112449-whats-to-like-about-damian-lillard?-how-about-everything

LAS VEGAS — Outside of No. 1 pick Anthony Davis of New Orleans, who is playing with the U.S. Olympic team, all of the top selections in the June 28 NBA draft have been on display at the Las Vegas Summer League.

None has been as impressive, however, as the Trail Blazers’ Damian Lillard.

Lillard was at his most spectacular in an 84-78 victory over Atlanta Thursday, going for 31 points and seven assists and only three turnovers in a 32-minute masterpiece that had scouts from throughout the league singing praise.

“The best player I’ve seen at summer league,” said one NBA executive, who asked not to be identified.

“He’s not going to be a great player — he already is one,” said a scout from another team.

After scoring 25 and 27 points in Portland’s first two summer-league games, Lillard was even better Thursday, sinking 11 of 22 shots from the field, going 8 for 8 from the foul line and setting up teammates for several dunks and cripples.

The 6-3 point guard, chosen with the sixth pick in the draft, leads summer-league scorers at 27.7 points per game.

Of course, Jerryd Bayless averaged 29.9 points and was the most valuable player of the 2008 Vegas Summer League. And three years before that, Sebastian Telfair led the league in assists.

After all, this is only summer league. Lillard keeps hearing that, and the former Weber State standout admits it fuels him.

“It does,” he says. “I’ve always had that chip on my shoulder. I know people say, ‘It’s just summer league.’ But before summer league began, the question was, ‘Will he be able to play well there?’ "

Lillard has had to prove himself since being under-recruited out of high school in Oakland, then playing his college ball as a big fish in a small pond in the Big Sky Conference.

If there were suspicions he wouldn’t be able to compete with the big boys, Lillard has gone about alleviating them in Sin City.

“He has the poise, the gears to go by people,” said the anonymous NBA executive. “Willingness and ability to pass has been the knock on him, but he saw (Meyers) Leonard a few times today.”

Leonard, Portland’s 7-1 rookie center out of Illinois, got a couple of dunks off Lillard feeds on pick-and-roll plays Thursday. But it was Lillard’s ability to take the ball to the basket and finish while taking on a defender that was most apparent.

“He has a strong, athletic build,” says Dan Dickau, the former Blazer now with the team as a summer-league assistant. “When he sees he has a gap to get to the rim, he is able to absorb contact and finish through it, which is something not a lot of point guards have.”

NBA scouts and coaches are comparing Lillard to Chicago’s Derrick Rose for the ability to force the action without getting out of control.

“Damian plays at a great pace,” Dickay said. “He is patient in getting where he wants to. And when he finally sees what he wants, he has the athleticism to do what he wants.”

Lillard’s driving dunk over Atlanta center Keith Benson is sure to be a YouTube favorite.

“I saw a gap,” Lillard said. “If I didn’t explode to the rim, it was going to be a block. I had to raise up.”

In the three games here, Lillard is shooting .453 from the field, .381 from 3-point range and .850 from the line. The only chink in his armor came with seven turnovers in Tuesday’s loss to Houston.

“Any time you have (seven) turnovers, that’s unacceptable,” Lillard said. “It’s my job to value the ball. It bothered me having that many turnovers. Today, I wanted to be more tight with the ball and take advantage of every possession by making stronger passes.”

Lillard and Leonard worked well together at times Thursday.

“I feel Damian and I have a good connection already,” said Leonard, who contributed nine points and a game-high 13 rebounds in 26 minutes. “It started at mini-camp before summer league, just shooting and coming to the gym together, trying to get a feel for each other. We do different things well, so we complement each other.

“He is unbelievable. His ability to finish around the rim, shoot, create for others, defend, play hard — he’s a special player.”

Asked what he likes about Lillard, former Blazer assistant Bill Bayno said, “Everything.”

“He attacks the rim, he’s a willing passer, he can shoot the heck out of it,” says Bayno, now with Minnesota. “He has toughness. I see a competitor. He has no fear, which you have to (not) have in the NBA. He can get to where he wants to go with the ball. His handle is tight. He makes good decisions.

“And from everything I’ve heard, he’s a great kid. It’s a great ‘get’ for the Blazers.”

Lillard has shown an ability to finish at the rim with either hand, the result of directions from his father, Houston Lillard, as a youth.

“Dad made me and my brother play horse with the left hand to develop the off hand,” the new Blazer said. “In college, everything I did with my right hand, I wanted to be able to do with my left.

“So I practiced ballhandling, shooting floaters, just to be able to use either hands. It’s playing in my favor now.”

Lillard is quick, but it’s his moves that leave defenders standing in quicksand.

“It comes down to being able to change speeds,” he said. “From watching (video) and working on my game, I’ve been able to learn how to change speeds and get to my spots.”

Lillard is held in such high regard by Portland management, general manager Neil Olshey signed veteran point guard Ronnie Price — who played at Utah Valley State and with the Utah Jazz — on Wednesday. Lillard and Price have been pals the past three years.

“I got to know him, and we developed a relationship,” Lillard said. “Ronnie would tell me how to take care of my body, some things to work on, not to overwork myself. He was kind of like a mentor for me.

“He’ll bring toughness to our team. He’s a competitor. I’m not sure what their plans are for him, but I know I’ll get better going against him every day in practice. And once he gets in the game, he’ll be ready. I’m excited about it.”

Lillard is the front-runner for summer league most valuable player honors. He understands the difference, though, between those battling for roster spots here as opposed to the NBA’s regular season.

“It’s not like they’re not real players here,” he said, “but I know there’s another level up on the NBA. Those guys are NBA players, not summer-league players. I still have to go out and play against Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook and Rose and LeBron (James) and those guys.

“Being MVP of this, I’d be happy with it, but it’s not my main concern.”

It’s not the concern of the Blazers, either. It would be a positive sign, though, from a player they expect to be a whole lot better at the NBA level than either Bayless or Telfair.

timvp
07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
and only three turnovers in a 32-minute masterpiece

At that pace he won't quite be the most turnover prone player in the NBA. Props.

Kai
07-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Didn't see you post an article after the Rockets styled on his turnover-prone ass.

tlongII
07-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Lol Rockets.

rayjayjohnson
07-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Rockets fan shouldn't be talking about turnovers having just signed lin.

still, :lmao tlong

pass1st
07-20-2012, 05:17 PM
tlong needs to stop pre-ejaculating over anything related to Blazers. Lillard might be decent, but won't be a "star"

:lmao tlong

Spurtacus
07-20-2012, 05:47 PM
I hope he has his own medical staff.

djohn2oo8
07-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Lol Rockets.
Non-issue :lol

pass1st
07-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I hope he has his own medical staff.

Witchdoctors would be better than the retards on Portland's staff.

:lolBroken knee? Scotch tape
:lolHeart problem? Non-issue
:lolBatum's injury didn't end his career? Let's try again

tesseractive
07-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Witchdoctors would be better than the retards on Portland's staff.

:lolBroken knee? Scotch tape
:lolHeart problem? Non-issue
:lolBatum's injury didn't end his career? Let's try again

Just remember, the best way to deal with injuries is to play through them if you possibly can, and at least hurry back before you can move right if you can't. Taking a little extra time to safeguard your career is just laziness. :lol

KobeOwnsDuncan
07-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Bl:lolz:lolrs

Jodelo
07-20-2012, 07:46 PM
:lolBlazers
:loltlong
:lolBatum's knees fucked
:lolLillard's knees fucked
:lolPortland knees

racm
07-20-2012, 08:03 PM
:lmao Blazers
:lmao picking prospects with injury red flags
:lmao what could have been big 3
:lmao overpaying Batum
:lmao Exploding Knees

tlongII
07-20-2012, 08:09 PM
tlong needs to stop pre-ejaculating over anything related to Blazers. Lillard might be decent, but won't be a "star"

We're talking superstar. Not just a star.

tlongII
07-20-2012, 08:10 PM
He is Derek Rose with a better jump shot.

racm
07-20-2012, 08:11 PM
FWIW he's a better point than Rose/Westbrook.

tlongII
07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
D-Lill with 23 and 7 today. :smokin

racm
07-20-2012, 08:15 PM
I imagine his assist numbers will go up when he plays with real NBA players.

PGDynasty24
07-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Portland was dead on about this guy,even though this is just summer league. Knock-on wood though hoping he DOESN't get injured with this team's history.

tlongII
07-20-2012, 09:04 PM
His pace is like Brandon Roy's. He lulls you to sleep and then he blows by you. Just a great, great player.

Kai
07-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Rockets fan shouldn't be talking about turnovers having just signed lin.

still, :lmao tlong

Summer League champs bitch :lol

pass1st
07-20-2012, 11:18 PM
We're talking ACL tear. Not just a cartilage tear.

fify :lmao

Let's be honest here, tlong. Until blazers get a good medical staff, they will never sniff contention.

rayjayjohnson
07-21-2012, 01:23 AM
He is Derek Rose with a better jump shot.

Did you get more retarded this offseason, tschlong?

tlongII
07-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Haters. All of ya.

pass1st
07-21-2012, 02:00 AM
Change title to "I <3 Lilard"

Kai
07-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Good 'ole Tlong. Systematically making Spurstalk posters hate an otherwise likeable Blazers team since 2004 :tu

DMC
07-21-2012, 02:19 AM

Put it into perspective; what else does he have to get aroused over? Certainly not the playoffs. The Blazers are the perpetual up and coming team.

For them winning a ring is like finding the Higgs boson.

racm
07-21-2012, 02:34 AM
So they found the Higgs boson in 1977? :downspin:

tlongII
07-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Put it into perspective; what else does he have to get aroused over? Certainly not the playoffs. The Blazers are the perpetual up and coming team.

For them winning a ring is like finding the Higgs boson.

Didn't they find that recently? Yeah...

:lobt: