PDA

View Full Version : Trail Blazers' Damian Lillard dominating and leading at NBA Summer League

tlongII
07-20-2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/07/trail_blazers_damian_lillard_dominating_and_leadin .html

LAS VEGAS -- Near the end of the Trail Blazers' summer league matchup against the Atlanta Hawks on Thursday, a trio of fans started chanting "M-V-P" in honor of rookie point guard Damian Lillard.

It didn't catch on with the rest of the Cox Pavilion crowd and quickly faded, but the sentiment was justified. The event features 23 NBA teams and 13 of the top 14 picks from the last month's NBA draft, and Lillard has looked every bit like the most valuable player through three games in Las Vegas.

He ranks first in scoring (27.7 points per game) and 10th in assists (4.7), and his unflappable demeanor unmistakably screams "leader." The best news for Blazers fans is that he seems to get better and more confident each outing.

"Every time I talk about this kid, it just keeps (getting better)," rookie center Meyers Leonard said. "He's unbelievable. His ability to finish around the rim, shoot, create for others, defend, play hard -- he's a special player."

The most recent -- and perhaps best -- example of Lillard's dominance came Thursday during the Blazers' 84-78 victory over the Hawks, when he recorded 31 points, seven assists, three rebounds and one memorable highlight that was "SportsCenter" Top 10-worthy.

In the third quarter, Lillard knifed his way through two defenders near the three-point line and charged through an open lane to the basket before elevating and hammering down a powerful one-handed dunk over Keith Benson, who tried to block the shot. Then Lillard flexed his chest and screamed -- after dishing out his share of alley-oops this week, Lillard had notched his first professional posterizing.

The buzz in the building lingered for several possessions.

"I saw a gap, and if I didn't explode it was going to get blocked," Lillard said. "Because these guys in here, they're athletic, they have long arms. I got one of my shots blocked when I didn't explode to the rim, so it was only necessary. I had to raise up. I probably caught them off guard. But I've done it plenty of times. Once I took off, I knew what I was doing as soon as I picked the ball up."

If there were any questions about Lillard's game -- particularly whether or not he could hold his own after coming from unheralded Weber State -- they have been answered this week. Lillard's ability to run the pick and roll has been lethal, and his blend of driving ability, shooting and underrated athleticism appears to be a special combination.

There's no question that summer league performances should be measured with context and caution, and the Blazers' recent history offers two illustrations of how meaningless this event can be in the grand scheme of things. In 2008, Jerryd Bayless averaged 29.8 points per game and earned MVP honors. That same year, Nicolas Batum looked overmatched and better suited for another season in France rather than the NBA.

Everyone knows how that played out.

But Lillard is not Jerryd Bayless.

Like Bayless, he has scored at will throughout summer league, with at least 25 points in all three of his games. But unlike Bayless, the points did not come courtesy of reckless, head-down drives to the hoop and free throws. Lillard, who ranked second in college basketball last season in scoring, is a natural scorer, but he also has flashed the ability -- and willingness -- to see the floor, read a defense and involve his teammates.

And unlike the I-hate-the-world edge of Bayless, Lillard's game comes with a cool, understated moxie that is oddly similar to former Blazers All-Star Brandon Roy. Lillard's humble background has shaped his personality, and teammates say they're eager to follow.

"I think that's why Damian has been so successful coming from a smaller program, being able to do the things he does," said Hersey Hawkins, the Blazers' player development director. "He has good focus and he understands his place, but he also believes in his ability and the fact that no matter what point guard is in this league, he can compete with him. And that's an inner confidence that you can't teach. I just hope he keeps that edge."

There's little doubt Lillard will take his lumps during the regular season, just as every rookie does. But his maturity and even-keel personality suggest he will navigate the highs and lows as well as he handles the pick and roll.

Three days and 17 games remain in summer league, but Lillard already has become one of the most talked about players among NBA front office's and coaches. Perhaps next time that "M-V-P" chant begins, it will spread around the arena.

"I heard one guy say it," Lillard said, smirking about the chant. "But I just want to win games. I know ... it's a whole 'nother level up in the NBA, with NBA players, not summer league players. Being the MVP of this, I would be happy with it, but it's not my main concern."

clambake
07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
way to go , t. this guy is destined for the curse.

pass1st
07-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Tlong, you never learn. Every time you do this article crap, the Blazers take 2 steps back

tlongII
07-20-2012, 10:57 AM
The curse is over brah.

clambake
07-20-2012, 10:58 AM
the cubs say hi.

pass1st
07-20-2012, 11:05 AM
The curse is over brah.

The curse will only be lifted if your team's idiotic medical staff is fired. Has that happened yet?

tesseractive
07-20-2012, 12:37 PM
The curse will only be lifted if your team's idiotic medical staff is fired. Has that happened yet?

Hey, they hired a new GM from the Clippers. Instituting a winning tradition should all be downhill now. :lol

Clipper Nation
07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey, they hired a new GM from the Clippers. Instituting a winning tradition should all be downhill now. :lol

:lol Neil Olshey
:lol Vinny is a better GM than him
:lol Already lying in Portland

lefty
07-20-2012, 01:07 PM
So when is he breaking his ankle ?

tlongII
07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/tlongII/LillardJam.jpg

pass1st
07-20-2012, 01:54 PM
What's that picture supposed to show, tlong? D-leaguers dunk all the time

tlongII
07-20-2012, 02:08 PM
What's that picture supposed to show, tlong? D-leaguers dunk all the time

You're looking at the ROY right there!

jeebus
07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
The curse is over brah.

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/nolansmithjpg-e2f097f35c66b21d.jpg

pass1st
07-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Don't disappear when things look bad this time

Clipper Nation
07-20-2012, 02:17 PM

More like the DPOY.... Disappointing Player of the Year....

tlongII
07-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Don't disappear when things look bad this time

Not going anywhere. I look forward to the future beat downs of the Lakers. :tu

pass1st
07-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Not going anywhere. I look forward to the future beat downs of the Lakers. :tu

Oh tlong, we both know you will disappear again like you did when the Blazers went from being "contenders" to being irrelevant.