PDA

View Full Version : Coon: Who would be able to afford Howard next summer?

Drom John
07-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Pat
Coon chat: Who has cap room for Howard? (http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary-cap-chat-with-larry-coon-72012)

Who would be able to afford Howard next summer if he is an UFA. Dallas, Houston, anyone else?

Larry Coon

Here’s a team that always seems to fly just under the radar, and when all is said and done, people wonder “Where did they come from?” San Antonio potentially can have close to enough cap room to make it interesting.

Other teams that could have enough space: Atlanta, Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota, Phoenix, Utah. Maybe Detroit, Milwaukee & New Orleans.

bklynspursfan
07-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Ha.. Wouldn't that be something

widowmaker
07-20-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd rather the spurs go after some ball players and let the drama queens stay drama queens.

Andthentherewas21
07-20-2012, 02:42 PM
The Spurs could potentially offer a contract, but Howard isn't going to be willing to come here for the same reasons he won't go to 28 of the other teams in the NBA. He wants a big market, he wants to build his brand, ect. Money he can and will get anywhere he goes, its the other factors that are going to dictate where he goes, and SA doesn't fulfill them.

bklynspursfan
07-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Going to SA might help his image however. Instead of going to like Brooklyn, the fans won't boo him like they will other places if he struggles

spurraider21
07-20-2012, 02:44 PM
with manu/jax/splitter expiring for a total around 28-29 mil and the amnesty still up our sleeves (Hi Bonner) they would be able to make a max offer (or something very close to it) next offseason

jyra
07-20-2012, 02:46 PM
The Spurs only have that much cap space if they don't bring back Manu which is definitely not going to happen.

MR-Clutch
07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Could we sign Howard and then give manu the full mle?

gambit1990
07-20-2012, 02:51 PM
The Spurs could potentially offer a contract, but Howard isn't going to be willing to come here for the same reasons he won't go to 28 of the other teams in the NBA. He wants a big market, he wants to build his brand, ect. Money he can and will get anywhere he goes, its the other factors that are going to dictate where he goes, and SA doesn't fulfill them.

yeah, i don't see him coming here. out of the teams listed, i could see him going to dallas.

Hoops Czar
07-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Pat
Coon chat: Who has cap room for Howard? (http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary-cap-chat-with-larry-coon-72012)

That would require Manu to walk. Therefore, it's an impossibility. Family comes first in SA.

Hoops Czar
07-20-2012, 02:54 PM
yeah, i don't see him coming here. out of the teams listed, i could see him going to dallas.

Dallas wasn't listed.

G-Dawgg
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
That would require Manu to walk. Therefore, it's an impossibility. Family comes first in SA.

Hell no... I'd drop an old Manu that can never play a full season for the best Center in the NBA in a heartbeat.....

Did you forget that we traded Bruce Bowen away for RJ?

MR-Clutch
07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Also I think Leonard's development and how far the spurs get in playoffs could affect his decision. Although that's probably just wishful thinking. Tp Green Leonard Duncan and Howard would be a crazy Defensive and rebounding unit.

gambit1990
07-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Dallas wasn't listed.

the person asked said, "dallas, houston, anyone else?" so i assumed they'll have cap space. will they?

Hoops Czar
Hell no... I'd drop an old Manu that can never play a full season for the best Center in the NBA in a heartbeat.....

Did you forget that we traded Bruce Bowen away for RJ?

So would I, but I'm not running the show and R.C. wouldn't.

MR-Clutch
Tbh anyone looking to win now would pick SA out of those teams.

Mel_13
07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
:lol

Larry Coon trolling SpursTalk.

There's about a 1% chance that the Spurs will have enough cap space to offer a max contract. There's a much smaller chance that Howard would choose San Antonio if it could make the offer.

NY or LA. One way or another, Howard will wind up in one of those two cities.

Vic Petro
07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
I'd rather the spurs go after some ball players and let the drama queens stay drama queens.

Hoops Czar
07-20-2012, 03:01 PM
the person asked said, "dallas, houston, anyone else?" so i assumed they'll have cap space. will they?

Houston will and if Dallas doesn't, Cuban will work his magic to make sure they do.

Hoops Czar
07-20-2012, 03:03 PM

There's about a 1% chance that the Spurs will have enough cap space to offer a max contract. There's a much smaller chance that Howard would choose San Antonio if it could make the offer.

Dallas or LA

Mel_13
07-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Houston will and if Dallas doesn't, Cuban will work his magic to make sure they do.

Dallas will have sufficient cap space. All their acquisitions this summer have one year left on their contracts except for Mayo, who has a player option that will be exercised if he has a decent season.

cd98
07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Howard, no thanks. He's a great player, but we don't like drama queens.

Ocotillo
07-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Wow, landing Howard would take the sting out of losing out on Lorbek......:p:

Duncan2177
07-20-2012, 04:32 PM
The Spurs only have that much cap space if they don't bring back Manu which is definitely not going to happen.

The spurs FO would be dumb asses to resign Manu with all that cap space.If anything Manu at his age and the wear and tear on his body and not able to play a full season should only be resign for a lot less. I have a feeling Manu is done after next season.

Stabula
07-20-2012, 05:14 PM
send him to Charlotte

Obstructed_View
07-20-2012, 05:21 PM

You guys would give your left nut to have the black Kevin Love in San Antonio and you all know it.

Stabula
07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Howard isn't in the NBA for the love of basketball he's in it for the love of money, fame, and publicity. Sucks when that becomes the ultimate goal of talented players.

tesseractive
07-20-2012, 05:49 PM

You guys would give your left nut to have the black Kevin Love in San Antonio and you all know it.

Anyone who says they don't want Dwight Howard is either crazy or stupid.

Edit: but Mel is 100% correct that there's no way in hell we'll get him.

pad300
07-20-2012, 05:54 PM

While I'll give you we'd be happy to sign him...

Black Kevin Love?!?!

Their games are light years apart. One's a premier attacking player, the other one is the single most valuable defender in the league...

Just what are you smoking?

Spurtacus
07-20-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Howard isn't looking for endorsement deals with Taco Cabana or HEB. So, the Spurs have no chance even if they offered a max contract and championship caliber team.

Stabula
07-20-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Howard isn't looking for endorsement deals with Taco Cabana or HEB. So, the Spurs have no chance even if they offered a max contract and championship caliber team.

I don't get how a professional basketball player who makes millions of dollars when there are scientists, doctors, and engineers who'll barely see a fraction of that money can be in it for the endorsements. You already have a mansion, fancy cars, the best food, the nicest clothes, the ability to travel anywhere in the world, world wide fame, and extra money to blow on whatever additional luxuries you want. How could you possibly ask for more?

tesseractive
07-20-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't get how a professional basketball player who makes millions of dollars when there are scientists, doctors, and engineers who'll barely see a fraction of that money can be in it for the endorsements. You already have a mansion, fancy cars, the best food, the nicest clothes, the ability to travel anywhere in the world, world wide fame, and extra money to blow on whatever additional luxuries you want. How could you possibly ask for more?

Why the hell does Jordan do underwear ads? Even people with shitloads of money still like making shitloads of money.

Besides, like the guy from Total Recall, he has 5 kids to feed. :lol

Obstructed_View
07-20-2012, 06:32 PM
While I'll give you we'd be happy to sign him...

Black Kevin Love?!?!

Their games are light years apart. One's a premier attacking player, the other one is the single most valuable defender in the league...

Just what are you smoking?

:lol It would take too long to explain. Suffice to say it really pisses people off when I call him that.

Vic Petro
07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Kevin Love is exactly the type of player I would love to pursue with cap room, not Dwight Howard. Love would be a perfect Spur :hat

tesseractive
07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
:lol It would take too long to explain. Suffice to say it really pisses people off when I call him that.

Possibly because it makes about as much sense as calling LeBron the black Jerry West. :lol

Wild Cobra Kai
07-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I doubt the Spurs think he would come. They are probably looking to score a nice piece or an expiring with picks to help someone else with their foolish quest for Dwight.

Stabula
07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Why the hell does Jordan do underwear ads? Even people with shitloads of money still like making shitloads of money.

Besides, like the guy from Total Recall, he has 5 kids to feed. :lol

It must be some kind of mental illness to want shitloads of money when you already have shitloads of money doing something relatively unimportant for society at large. It's that type of mindset that's brought us this f***ed up world we live in today. If 5 kids can't be fed on several million dollars then they must be the size of whales.

Tbiggums47
07-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't count The Spurs out. They are remaining pat for a reason.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Possibly because it makes about as much sense as calling LeBron the black Jerry West. :lol

And people get angry when you call Lebron that?

MR-Clutch
07-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Kevin Love is exactly the type of player I would love to pursue with cap room, not Dwight Howard. Love would be a perfect Spur :hat

He's a drama queen too.

Spursfan092120
07-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Dallas or LA

Yeah..because the fact that he's already said many times he would only extend his contract if he went to Brooklyn means he has no interest in NY.

tesseractive
07-20-2012, 10:39 PM
And people get angry when you call Lebron that?

I don't know why it pisses people off... I just think it's funny how inaccurate it is. :lol

You can call Dwight "the Black Tiny Archibald" as far as I'm concerned, and I wouldn't get mad about it, just wonder wtf you were talking about. :lol

8FOR!3
07-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Why wouldn't you want Dwight Howard on the Spurs? He's the ultimate fit for our team, an athletic big who doesn't lack in size against anybody and is a dominate defender/rebounder/shot blocker. He's immature and has a poor attitude, but his talent makes up for it. I could say the same thing about LeBron and he managed to win a championship. High character guys are great, but give me the guy who wins every time.

That being said, Spurs hardly have a chance where DH's concerned. Spurs fans can dream though.

Richie
07-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Howard would never sign with the Spurs, but amnesty/waive Bonner (only $1m guaranteed) and give Manu $5m, we could afford him.

Interesting so see how much cap space we have next summer, Parker and Duncan earning around $23m is great value for the talent and experience they bring.

Obstructed_View
07-21-2012, 01:06 AM
I don't know why it pisses people off... I just think it's funny how inaccurate it is. :lol

You can call Dwight "the Black Tiny Archibald" as far as I'm concerned, and I wouldn't get mad about it, just wonder wtf you were talking about. :lol

Dwight has an angry little army defending his honor. Best unintentional troll job in history.

Hoops Czar
07-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Yeah..because the fact that he's already said many times he would only extend his contract if he went to Brooklyn means he has no interest in NY.

Glad to see you crawled out from under that rock. Now let me catch you up to speed. Brooklyn signed Lopez to a 4 year 60.8 million dollar deal. The have no money. The only way Dwight ends up in Brooklyn is via trade although the Nets will have to wait til the 15th of January before they can even entertain that thought and there is no gaurantee that Orlando will want Lopez or Humpheries or both in a package for Howard. His chances of landing in Brooklyn are just a little better than the Spurs chances of landing him in free agency.

spurspokesman
07-23-2012, 12:08 AM

This.