PDA

View Full Version : The Darknight Rises: Thoughts?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mingus
07-20-2012, 09:06 PM
I think it is a great movie. I'm curious to know what everybody else thinks about it.

I think that of the three Batman movies directed by Nolan, it is the weakest, but maybe my tune will change after seeing it for a second time.

CuckingFunt
07-20-2012, 09:15 PM
A smart ass could point out that someone capable of taking down a baddie in a crowded theater full of tear gas and chaos should be able to see the year-long, very active, Dark Knight Rises thread already going on the first page before starting their own...

That is, if there were a smart ass here.

Ginobilly
07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
I think it is a great movie. I'm curious to know what everybody else thinks about it.

I think that of the three Batman movies directed by Nolan, it is the weakest, but maybe my tune will change after seeing it for a second time.

I say TDK is the weakest one, but it doesn't take away from Heath's legendary performance. The only part I didn't like is that Selena takes out Bane. Nolan should of let Batman take him out.

silverblk mystix
07-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Spoiler alert!

mingus
07-20-2012, 09:32 PM
A smart ass could point out that someone capable of taking down a baddie in a crowded theater full of tear gas and chaos should be able to see the year-long, very active, Dark Knight Rises thread already going on the first page before starting their own...

That is, if there were a smart ass here.

It is not that I did not see it. It is just that I wanted to start this thread so that those who have not seen it yet (yourself included, going by what you said in the thread), would not accidently read any spoilers.

I would worry first about being a dumbass before I started thinking about being a smartass.

mingus
07-20-2012, 09:44 PM
I say TDK is the weakest one, but it doesn't take away from Heath's legendary performance. The only part I didn't like is that Selena takes out Bane. Nolan should of let Batman take him out.

I was personally hoping for Catwoman to become the main character of the movie. It struck me as being a little bit of a stretch that Batman, so injured at the beginning of the movie, was as able-bodied as he was to do what he did. Would have been risque, but I think the movie needed to take a chance.

DMC
07-20-2012, 09:45 PM
There are certainly some pithy, snarky and dead eye people here.

SA210
07-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I think TDK was the weakest, by FAR. Joker was about all it had to offer.

Batman Begins and TDKR are awesome.

DeadlyDynasty
07-20-2012, 09:55 PM
I was personally hoping for Catwoman to become the main character of the movie. It struck me as being a little bit of a stretch that Batman, so injured at the beginning of the movie, was as able-bodied as he was to do what he did. Would have been risque, but I think the movie needed to take a chance.

What is wrong with you?

Amuseddaysleeper
07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Best one of the series.

Bane was just unreal.

Jacob1983
07-20-2012, 10:23 PM
What's the consensus? Dark Knight Rises is better than Batman Begins but not better than The Dark Knight?

I was surprised with Anne Hathaway. Sometimes, she can be annoying as hell in movies but she wasn't and her butt looked good in leather. The sexual tension between Catwoman and Batman was so thick that you could cut it with a knife.

I also thought Joseph Gordon Levitt did a good job in the movie too.

hehateme
07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Dissapointed thats all I have to say. Banes death was a huge letdown after so much buildup. Levitt is definitely a great actor though.

Ginobilly
07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Dissapointed thats all I have to say. Banes death was a huge letdown after so much buildup. Levitt is definitely a great actor though.

same here. I didn't like that Miranda was actually the mastermind and the real main villain of TDKR. It takes away a lot of the antagonism from Bane and just cheapens him and makes him out to be more an enforcer and bodyguard, than an actual villain.

Jacob1983
07-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Well, you really can't compare Bane to The Joker.

The Joker is the big bad in the Batman universe. Bane is not as popular or as well known as The Joker so you know who is going to win in a battle between Bane and The Joker.
I will say that Bane caused more destruction and death than The Joker did. The Joker didn't want to kill Batman because he said they were destined to do this forever. Bane didn't really care if Batman lived or died. The Joker wanted someone to challenge him and fight/stop him.

It just sucks big balls that Heath Ledger died because The Dark Knight Rises would have been epic as hell if The Joker had been in it especially if he had teamed up with Bane or even Two Face if Dent hadn't died in the Dark Knight.

MannyIsGod
07-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Someone should really put a spoiler tag in the thread title.

MannyIsGod
07-20-2012, 11:03 PM
same here. I didn't like that Miranda was actually the mastermind and the real main villain of TDKR. It takes away a lot of the antagonism from Bane and just cheapens him and makes him out to be more an enforcer and bodyguard, than an actual villain.

Talia was a good antagonist and brought the story arc started in the first movie home. I loved it and it was perfect to finish out Bane's complex character.

Jacob1983
07-20-2012, 11:06 PM
The title of this thread is The Darknight Rises:Thoughts?.

That title pretty much guarantees that people are going to be talking about what happened in the movie which means there will be spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.

Ginobilly
07-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Talia was a good antagonist and brought the story arc started in the first movie home. I loved it and it was perfect to finish out Bane's complex character.

You might have a point. I forgot about Talia. I also forgot that bane has a soft side for women. As smart and buff as he is, the dude looks like the type that would be pussy whipped by hot girls.

tdominate21
07-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Fucking assholes. Spoiling the damn movie! :ihit

Lincoln
07-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Way to spoil it without having a fucking warning assholes

Jacob1983
07-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Why are you posting in this thread or any thread related to Batman if you haven't seen the movie? You're kinda setting yourself up for failure.

leemajors
07-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Why are you posting in this thread or any thread related to Batman if you haven't seen the movie? You're kinda setting yourself up for failure.

OP, post #5 dickhole

stretch
07-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Best in the series, IMO.

It had a couple odd, corny scenes in the movie, but I was easily able to overlook them.

As much as I liked TDK, it was heavily carried by Ledger's Joker performance. The movie was more about Joker and Dent, than about Batman. This one had a lot more focus on Batman than TDK.

Ledger's Joker was a better acting performance (although Hardy's Bane was no slouch at all, just a bit more limited in his role), but I felt Bane was a better villan, and a cooler character overall.

I was incredibly impressed at how Catwoman was worked into the movie, as that was what I was most afraid about. But they did a great job of doing so.

My only real issue with the movie was that Batman wasn't the one to finally finish Bane off.

Blake's role was a great addition to the movie.

I definitely wasn't disappointed, and I had HIGH expectations. It may have even succeeded my expectations.

:wow Bane :wow

stretch
07-21-2012, 12:48 AM

I pretty much fully agree with this.

redzero
07-21-2012, 01:00 AM
You wanted Batman to kill Bane?

stretch
07-21-2012, 01:10 AM
You wanted Batman to kill Bane?

Not necessarily, but I wanted him to be the one to bring him to justice, as opposed to catwoman launching a missile into his belly. Maybe if they just had a better way of someone else interfering and finishing Bane off, I would have been happier.

It's probably more so that I didn't like how his character was finished off.

mingus
07-21-2012, 07:05 AM
What is wrong with you?

I like Catwoman. She is my favorite out of all the comic book characters. Second is Robin. I was hoping she and Robin were at the forefront of the movie. I wish Robin put his costume on. The movie needed the Robin (in costume) dynamic.

AussieFanKurt
07-21-2012, 09:32 AM
5/10

SA210
07-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I like Catwoman. She is my favorite out of all the comic book characters. Second is Robin. I was hoping she and Robin were at the forefront of the movie. I wish Robin put his costume on. The movie needed the Robin (in costume) dynamic.

I was hoping this would happen too, actually. But I was still very satisfied.

Darth_Pelican
07-21-2012, 11:31 AM
*spoiler

For those upset that catwoman killed Bane: I didn't care that catwoman ulitimately killed Bane since Batman got the upper hand on him in their 2nd confrontation. Batman proved that he was superior to him. It wasn't till after Batman got stabbed by the woman that Bane could have killed him. Catwoman killing him helped build the importance of her not bailing when she had the chance.

Spurfect21
07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
*spoiler

For those upset that catwoman killed Bane: I didn't care that catwoman ulitimately killed Bane since Batman got the upper hand on him in their 2nd confrontation. Batman proved that he was superior to him. It wasn't till after Batman got stabbed by the woman that Bane could have killed him. Catwoman killing him helped build the importance of her not bailing when she had the chance.
SPOILER*****

This.
Batman beat the shit out of him in the second fight and could've killed him if he wanted but Thalia shanked him...plus, considering the ending of the movie...who's to say he's truly dead? If Nolan decides he's not done it wouldn't be far fetched to bring him back.

stretch
07-21-2012, 12:25 PM
*spoiler

Understandable, and that is why it's not a major complaint in my mind. I wanted Batman to finish the job somehow, but him pounding the crap out of Bane's face, then telling him "you have my permission to die" was satisfying as fuck for me. I had chills run down my spine at that part, just as I did when Bane punched Batman's mask to pieces.

monosylab1k
07-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Bane's ending gets worse and worse the more i think about it. I hate that he goes from being this badass mastermind of the destruction of Gotham into this puppet with a strange pedo-ish love for a little girl, now doing her bidding. Getting unceremoniously killed and forgotten in a split second also cheapened all the buildup Nolan gave us throughout the movie. Bane started off as the perfect villain but by the end he might as well have been wearing Spandex and following Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy on a chain.

hehateme
07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Bane's ending gets worse and worse the more i think about it. I hate that he goes from being this badass mastermind of the destruction of Gotham into this puppet with a strange pedo-ish love for a little girl, now doing her bidding. Getting unceremoniously killed and forgotten in a split second also cheapened all the buildup Nolan gave us throughout the movie. Bane started off as the perfect villain but by the end he might as well have been wearing Spandex and following Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy on a chain.

Well put. I also doubt this is Nolans last stroll in this trilogy. I believe there will be another with a more prominent role towards Robin taking over the forefront. I don't think he gives up this money making machine yet.

Cane
07-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Tbh not even sure if this movie was better than The Avengers, but still good. Felt like a more epic version of the first two Batman movies but it tried to be too epic. And the epic action scenes, while still blockbuster worthy, just aren't even in the same ballpark as The Avengers. This Batman also introduced too many new characters while trying to tie up a bunch of loose ends with the old ones.

Still everytime the movie began to lose my attention like during a lengthy Bruce Wayne scene or a flashback, it still somehow got me cheering for Batman to overcome everything. However I didn't really like the chemistry between any of the characters in this movie, tbh, although it had some fun lines...Joker was much more awesome.

List of minor, not so minor, and random faults that puts this movie down for me compared to TDK......SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS? :

- Too many clumsy flashbacks. Pays off in the end although it makes the storytelling overall feel lazy and unimpressive

- Bane's facemask doesn't translate well to the big screen, should have redesigned his character even further. Hooking up his voice to stadium speakers was an experience. Wasn't that impressive of a villain, was basically a smooth talking brute. Loved the line about the kid's voice though :lol

- Bane's neckbreaking and face-crushing, while undeniably brutal, also just doesn't translate very well to the big screen and not very dramatic. Doesn't help that Steven Segal made it infamous

- That chant sounds like "THIS IS AWESOME, AWESOME!". Thought they said "Gotham" in the trailers. But "Awesome" works and makes the pit climbing spectacle that much more entertaining

- How did Batman have all that time to make his symbol on the skyscraper during the ice walking scene? Seemed like he wasted a lot of crucial minutes when Gordon was sentenced to death by exile

- The passing of time also felt clumsy and awkward, too much time was covered

- Qui Gon Jinn, a lot of themes/scenes felt like Star Wars, and not in a good way

- Cops vs Bane's men in the end, why the hell didn't both sides just shoot eachother instead of brawl it out? I wanted to care about Pvt Joker's death but yea not so much. Visually, the fight was also a spectacle, but a relatively unimpressive one

- Sentencing scene was funny and felt like a comic book. Could have used more Scarecrow....why not use more of a villain that the audience is already familiar with?

- Cat Woman. Didn't do much for me. Her background felt rushed, acting felt average, chemistry wasn't there with Bruce or Batman, who the hell was that blonde lesbo, and really wasn't that much eye candy either

Also not enough dark bad ass Batman stuff like "PRAY TO ME" and his interrogation against the Joker.

3/4 stars. I wonder if the director's cut will address some of my bitching

SA210
07-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Tbh not even sure if this movie was better than The Avengers, but still good. Felt like a more epic version of the first two Batman movies but it tried to be too epic. And the epic action scenes, while still blockbuster worthy, just aren't even in the same ballpark as The Avengers. This Batman also introduced too many new characters while trying to tie up a bunch of loose ends with the old ones.

Still everytime the movie began to lose my attention like during a lengthy Bruce Wayne scene or a flashback, it still somehow got me cheering for Batman to overcome everything. However I didn't really like the chemistry between any of the characters in this movie, tbh, although it had some fun lines...Joker was much more awesome.

List of minor, not so minor, and random faults that puts this movie down for me compared to TDK......SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS? :

- Too many clumsy flashbacks. Pays off in the end although it makes the storytelling overall feel lazy and unimpressive

- Bane's facemask doesn't translate well to the big screen, should have redesigned his character even further. Hooking up his voice to stadium speakers was an experience. Wasn't that impressive of a villain, was basically a smooth talking brute. Loved the line about the kid's voice though :lol

- Bane's neckbreaking and face-crushing, while undeniably brutal, also just doesn't translate very well to the big screen and not very dramatic. Doesn't help that Steven Segal made it infamous

- That chant sounds like "THIS IS AWESOME, AWESOME!". Thought they said "Gotham" in the trailers. But "Awesome" works and makes the pit climbing spectacle that much more entertaining

- How did Batman have all that time to make his symbol on the skyscraper during the ice walking scene? Seemed like he wasted a lot of crucial minutes when Gordon was sentenced to death by exile

- The passing of time also felt clumsy and awkward, too much time was covered

- Qui Gon Jinn, a lot of themes/scenes felt like Star Wars, and not in a good way

- Cops vs Bane's men in the end, why the hell didn't both sides just shoot eachother instead of brawl it out? I wanted to care about Pvt Joker's death but yea not so much. Visually, the fight was also a spectacle, but a relatively unimpressive one

- Sentencing scene was funny and felt like a comic book. Could have used more Scarecrow....why not use more of a villain that the audience is already familiar with?

- Cat Woman. Didn't do much for me. Her background felt rushed, acting felt average, chemistry wasn't there with Bruce or Batman, who the hell was that blonde lesbo, and really wasn't that much eye candy either

Also not enough dark bad ass Batman stuff like "PRAY TO ME" and his interrogation against the Joker.

3/4 stars. I wonder if the director's cut will address some of my bitching

Wow, I feel like we watched two different movies lol

The feelings you have about this one is pretty much how I feel about TDK (trying too hard). This one for me, however was pretty damn good.

Heath Ledger
07-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Great movie but the shoot em up special effects were apparently a little bit too realistic.

Heath Ledger
07-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Bane's voice reminded me of someone trying to do a Sean Connery impression. A horrible one.

redzero
07-21-2012, 04:42 PM
A few thoughts and some good and bad things about the movie. Spoilers ahead.

• I knew Carcetti was in the movie, but I didn't know that Bunny Colvin was going to be in it also.
• The overall tone was more like Begins than TDK. It felt more like a Batman movie than it did like Heat, but the looming feeling of dread that made up The Dark Knight carried over to this movie.
+ Bane was great. He had some great lines and was intimidating. Movie magic made him seem like a far more physically imposing character than Tom Hardy looks in real life. His ass whooping of Batman was pretty awesome.
+ The fight scenes were the best in the trilogy.
+ Cathaway was great. She was funny and a far more interesting character than Rachel Dawes. If there was one good thing The Joker did, it was blowing that bitch up.
+ Jo Go was good. This was a clever way of integrating Robin into the trilogy. He was also given character traits from multiple Robins, and that was good.
+ This was the best Bale Batman in the entire trilogy, although there wasn't much Batman.
+ Everybody else did a good job. The cameo from Scarecrow was good.
- The editing was suspect in some areas, but mostly during the death scenes. I know this is a PG13 movie, but there were too many discretion shots. Pvt. Joker's death was goofier than it should have been do to it not being shown.
- Cathaway was good, but I would have liked a larger role for her.
- Bane's German Sean Connery voice didn't bother me in itself. It was, however, way too loud at some points.

Overall, I thought it was a satisfying end to the trilogy. It was better than Begins and The Avengers, but I'm not ready to say it was better than The Dark Knight. It's a shame that Nolan is claiming that there won't be another one, because I would like to see what he would have done with Robin and Bruce with Selina.

redzero
07-21-2012, 05:09 PM
DPG, if you didn't like the scenes of Batman and Catwoman teaming up and the scene in the bar, something must be wrong with your brain.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Best scene was probably the first Bane Batman fight. That shit was AWESOME.

redzero
07-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Bane really kicked Batman's ass. The part where he punched the cowl so hard that it broke was awesome.

I forgot to mention that the Dark Knight Trilogy has the best supervillains by far. Only Magneto from X-Men comes close, but he is mostly a sympathetic character.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 05:17 PM
So most of my lack of understanding probably comes from not knowing the comic-verse of Batman (or any comic character for that matter), but:

The Lazarus Pit: You saw it when Batman escaped, but what role did it play? Is that how Batman was able to so recover so well (back + all the other issues)? I know time had passed but, he seemed to recover so quickly in prison and his realisations gave him more strength, but that was unclear.

Robin: Was his background not being a part of a family circus? Or was that just something we haven't learned yet (how he became orphaned)?

Bane: So I thought the mask was there for Venom but there was no mention of that. They made it seem it was for "reducing pain" from surgeries in prision, but no mention of Venom or the tests. Is it just their adaptation?

Also, just as an aside, the part where he was beating Bain and yelling "tell me...." reminded of the part where he started to lose it with the Joker but now he was finally ready to do what is necessary - kill the bad guy.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 05:19 PM
DPG, if you didn't like the scenes of Batman and Catwoman teaming up and the scene in the bar, something must be wrong with your brain.

Dude, you are over-hyping Catwoman IMO. The scenes were fine, but I am glad it is painfully obvious that Catwoman would have used all of her 9 lives if Batman wasn't there to save her.

She would be destroyed by Batman, Bane and all of the other highly trained league of shadows members if trying to fight on her own. She did a good job, but I liked the scenes because of what I said above as she was very complimentary to Batman.

JoeChalupa
07-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Went to the 8am showing today. Totally enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next Batman.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 05:32 PM
The Pit was the prison as a whole. I have no real world explanation on how he was able to recover there other than he was there for months and he worked his ass off. I just suspended disbelief a bit here.

But the pit was a metaphorical lazarus pit and not actually like one from the comic. He went to the prison broken and he was "reborn" there so it was not a literal resurrection but I still thought it was well done.

There were multiple Robins in the batman universe and not all of them were acrobats. Yeah, I think thats just how they adapted and explained the Bane mask.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Went to the 8am showing today. Totally enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next Batman.

Its over. I hope it goes a long ass time without a reboot and I hope Nolan does something else.

JoeChalupa
07-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Its over. I hope it goes a long ass time without a reboot and I hope Nolan does something else.

I think the new kid would make a great Batman and don't see why this has to end at all. There is a director and producer out there who could and should do great things with this. It ain't over by a long shot, IMHO.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 05:36 PM
The Pit was the prison as a whole. I have no real world explanation on how he was able to recover there other than he was there for months and he worked his ass off. I just suspended disbelief a bit here.

But the pit was a metaphorical lazarus pit and not actually like one from the comic. He went to the prison broken and he was "reborn" there so it was not a literal resurrection but I still thought it was well done.

There were multiple Robins in the batman universe and not all of them were acrobats. Yeah, I think thats just how they adapted and explained the Bane mask.

See, I thought I saw an actual pit when he escaped? You could see what looked like one in the background. Maybe being so close to it is what enabled him to recover better (plus he learned some things too by hearing the stories and having to watch his city burn).

Also, they made no mention of venom at all. Still was not clear on what the mask did or why he needed it.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 05:38 PM
It is not that I did not see it. It is just that I wanted to start this thread so that those who have not seen it yet (yourself included, going by what you said in the thread), would not accidently read any spoilers.

Well, duh. I thought your reason for starting a separate thread was obvious enough that I didn't need to use the blue font. I guess I was wrong.

I would worry first about being a dumbass before I started thinking about being a smartass.

Oh, cool your jets.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 05:38 PM
It was a really good movie and Bane was legit.

The only part that really bothered me about the entire "plan" from Bane was the finger print part. Everyone on Earth saw the hijacking and would they easily not know that Bruce Wayne wasn't there and to prove it was fraud?

mingus
07-21-2012, 05:39 PM

not true at all.

Here are the two major complaints I have with movie.

1. Nolan needed to do a better job of making Banes take over of Gotham and the mass hysteria that resulted more plausible. What he could have done is showed, for example, how the military tried to do a covert mission to rescue Gotham (ala Osama Bin Laden), but fails and Bane kills numerous people as a result. I felt that the audeince was asked to make to much of a leap to believe the take over and the hysteria.

2. In Batman and Catwoman's first fight scene, there were guys just standing around wth their weapons but didn't even shoot at Batman or Catwoman. Batman is supposed to use stealth/darkness. In that scene he is basically just Chuck Norris in a bat suit. In the first movie, for example, in the cargo scene, he picks each guy off one by one to avoid having to fight 6-7 people with automatic weapons and avoid the inevetible getting shot that would result. Would have been better and more plausible if Batman took that route in the first fight scene rather than face 6-7 guys with automatics and watch as they stand around like idiots with their weapons pointed to the floor as they watch their buddies get their asses beat.

redzero
07-21-2012, 05:45 PM
The military tried to do a covert mission. Did you miss the part that had the guy from Rescue Me meet up with Blake and Gordon?

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 05:46 PM
SPOILER*****

This.
Batman beat the shit out of him in the second fight and could've killed him if he wanted but Thalia shanked him...plus, considering the ending of the movie...who's to say he's truly dead? If Nolan decides he's not done it wouldn't be far fetched to bring him back.

I believe Nolan when he says he's done with the franchise, and this movie very much felt like an ending (I don't, for instance, think that the very end bit was as much of a sequel set-up as many other seem to), but I agree there's nothing to indicate Bane was all the way killed by Selina.

redzero
07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Dude, you are over-hyping Catwoman IMO. The scenes were fine, but I am glad it is painfully obvious that Catwoman would have used all of her 9 lives if Batman wasn't there to save her.

She would be destroyed by Batman, Bane and all of the other highly trained league of shadows members if trying to fight on her own. She did a good job, but I liked the scenes because of what I said above as she was very complimentary to Batman.

I agree with you to an extent. The character of Catwoman works best if she is playing off of Batman.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
I thought batman was gone tbh.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Michael Caine was great too. He never gets credit, but man he was good.

leemajors
07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Michael Cane was great too. He never gets credit, but man he was good.

tbh he is knighted and has won tons of awards.

mingus
07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
The military tried to do a covert mission. Did you miss the part that had the guy from Rescue Me meet up with Blake and Gordon?

I would have liked an Osama Bin Laden style attempt. Those two scenes that featured Jones didn't do it for me. You have to figure drones and helicopters would've been used.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 05:51 PM
• I knew Carcetti was in the movie, but I didn't know that Bunny Colvin was going to be in it also.

And Delmond Lambreaux, too, if you want to go multi-city David Simon.

DeadlyDynasty
07-21-2012, 05:52 PM

No amount of awards or titles will help him live down Jaws 4.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 05:55 PM

Guy - talking about him in the context of the Nolan franchise

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 05:56 PM
CF - your overall thoughts

mingus
07-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, duh. I thought your reason for starting a separate thread was obvious enough that I didn't need to use the blue font. I guess I was wrong.

Oh, cool your jets.

Whatever you say.

Heath Ledger
07-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Anyone else notice that the detective from Dexter was in the movie on the end bridge scene?

redzero
07-21-2012, 06:09 PM
In regards to the government intervention, sending drones would be too much, I think. Bane said that the trigger man for the bomb was a random citizen, and the government didn't want to risk it by showing too much force. Attacking the League would be too big a gamble.

There were jets flying around the city, though.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 06:12 PM
A few thoughts and some good and bad things about the movie. Spoilers ahead.

• The overall tone was more like Begins than TDK. It felt more like a Batman movie than it did like Heat, but the looming feeling of dread that made up The Dark Knight carried over to this movie.
+ Bane was great. He had some great lines and was intimidating. Movie magic made him seem like a far more physically imposing character than Tom Hardy looks in real life. His ass whooping of Batman was pretty awesome.
+ The fight scenes were the best in the trilogy.
+ Cathaway was great. She was funny and a far more interesting character than Rachel Dawes. If there was one good thing The Joker did, it was blowing that bitch up.
+ Jo Go was good. This was a clever way of integrating Robin into the trilogy. He was also given character traits from multiple Robins, and that was good.
+ This was the best Bale Batman in the entire trilogy, although there wasn't much Batman.
+ Everybody else did a good job. The cameo from Scarecrow was good.
- The editing was suspect in some areas, but mostly during the death scenes. I know this is a PG13 movie, but there were too many discretion shots. Pvt. Joker's death was goofier than it should have been do to it not being shown.
- Cathaway was good, but I would have liked a larger role for her.
- Bane's German Sean Connery voice didn't bother me in itself. It was, however, way too loud at some points.

Overall, I thought it was a satisfying end to the trilogy. It was better than Begins and The Avengers, but I'm not ready to say it was better than The Dark Knight. It's a shame that Nolan is claiming that there won't be another one, because I would like to see what he would have done with Robin and Bruce with Selina.

Read the rest of this and realized it pretty much echoes a lot of the things I was just about to type. Will add a few things, though:

- I really liked the way Robin and Catwoman were handled. Bane, too, though that was less of a surprise. Too many costumes and origin stories on the screen at once and this would have completely lost Nolan's "real world" feel.
- The big reveal of Talia being the kid who escaped the pit and Bane being her protector was made somewhat less shocking by the fact anyone with a pair of eyes could easily see it was Hardy's shoulders and bald head under the robes in all those flashbacks, but I'll forgive that error since it gave me that one second glimpse of Bane sans mask.
- I was also happy with how the multi-city Gotham worked out. It's the one bit I was skeptical about going in, was worried that the different skylines would be too distracting and that the inconsistencies would prevent any real sense of place. I was always very aware of where each moment was shot, but the locations were stitched together nicely.
- Lots of attention goes to the neck cracking and face crushing, but I could literally watch an entire movie of Tom Hardy kicking dudes in the chest.
- I still want a Batpod.
- Looks like Joey Quinn is a dickhole no matter what universe he inhabits.

mingus
07-21-2012, 06:19 PM
In regards to the government intervention, sending drones would be too much, I think. Bane said that the trigger man for the bomb was a random citizen, and the government didn't want to risk it by showing too much force. Attacking the League would be too big a gamble.

There were jets flying around the city, though.

Sending in Jones seemed to like too little on the military's part. I mean they didn't even have to work hard to kill him. Drones and stealth choppers would have made more sense and been more plausible in a situation like that, I think. I did not get the feeling that everything was done to try to save Gotham by the military. If you think Drones and choppers aren't realistic. The military could have tried building undergound tunnels to get to Gotham. I felt that the movie hinged on something I couldn't suspend enough belief for.

tlongII
07-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Not as good as The Avengers tbh.

redzero
07-21-2012, 06:23 PM
As long as you don't mean that you wanted the aerial support to start attacking, I can see where you are coming from.

On a different note, the theater I went to had a weak crowd. I don't want anybody to clap (which one kid did when he heard the name "Robin" come up), but people could have at least laughed at some of the good jokes.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Sending in Jones seemed to like too little on the military's part. I mean they didn't even have to work hard to kill him. Drones and stealth choppers would have made more sense and been more plausible in a situation like that, I think. I did not get the feeling that everything was done to try to save Gotham by the military. If you think Drones and choppers aren't realistic. The military could have tried building undergound tunnels to get to Gotham. I felt that the movie hinged on something I couldn't suspend enough belief for.

That didn't really bother me for a couple of reasons.

For one, at the moment of the takeover, the President's comments (and Gordon's response) made it pretty clear the city was largely on its own. The government would have to tread very carefully in such a situation.

Also, the movie skips through five months in about five minutes. I, too, would find it difficult to believe that the one failed covert mission was the only thing the government tried to end Bane's control. However, I find it pretty to believe/assume that the government may have tried and failed several times during the five months but that we just didn't see it.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Not as good as The Avengers tbh.

Matter of opinion, of course, but I wouldn't even be able to compare the two. Whedon and Nolan were making two VERY different movies and I, for one, think they were equally successful in achieving what they wanted.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 06:30 PM
A lot of people clapped hard at the end, but not during. Got good laughs at my theater.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Red Zero - can you answer the questions I had above? Want to see what I might be missing

TE
07-21-2012, 06:34 PM
tbh, I kinda expected the spoilers in this thread so I completely skipped everyone's posts up to this one I'm making. I have yet to watch this movie (I plan to catch a late showing at the local theater tonight).

For those of you that have already watched the Dark Night Rises, how would you rank each movie within the trilogy?

tlongII
07-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Matter of opinion, of course, but I wouldn't even be able to compare the two. Whedon and Nolan were making two VERY different movies and I, for one, think they were equally successful in achieving what they wanted.

Actually I was just trolling. Haven't seen the movie yet. :lol

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 06:40 PM
I had one of the best midnight showing crowds ever. No one was obnoxious, but lots of clapping in cool parts. Like the burning bat symbol etc etc.

I won't compare it to Avengers because they had different goals but I generally percieve this trilogy as an actual dramatic film which I don't think anyone could ever do with the Marvel storylines.

monosylab1k
07-21-2012, 06:42 PM
So are y'all really okay with Bane being a badass mastermind for two hours, then finding out that all this time you were watching a nutless monkey puppet?

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Then again, prior to this trilogy I don't think I would have thought ANYONE could have done this with any comic book movie. The Amazing Spiderman tried to be this movie and obviously failed miserably.

Props to Nolan. Just a damn good set of movies.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 06:43 PM
So are y'all really okay with Bane being a badass mastermind for two hours, then finding out that all this time you were watching a nutless monkey puppet?

I don't agree with your characterization of what he became just because Talia turned out to be the kid who escaped. He still plotted everything that happend and carried it out. He still kicked Batman's ass.

redzero
07-21-2012, 06:44 PM
The Lazarus Pit: You saw it when Batman escaped, but what role did it play? Is that how Batman was able to so recover so well (back + all the other issues)? I know time had passed but, he seemed to recover so quickly in prison and his realisations gave him more strength, but that was unclear.

The pit was a prison. There was nothing supernatural about it. Bruce took five months to recover. This, of course, raises the question of why the cops trapped in the sewer system had spotless uniforms after being freed even though they had nothing else to wear for five months.

Robin: Was his background not being a part of a family circus? Or was that just something we haven't learned yet (how he became orphaned)?

There were several Robins. This Robin was given traits of some of them and was named "Robin." The one you are referring to was Dick Grayson, the first Robin before he became Nightwing.

Bane: So I thought the mask was there for Venom but there was no mention of that. They made it seem it was for "reducing pain" from surgeries in prision, but no mention of Venom or the tests. Is it just their adaptation?

The Venom was dropped in this version. Interestingly enough, when Bane's mask was messed up, he started wrecking concrete with his punches in a rage.[/QUOTE]

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Except that wasn't the case. He was a mastermind and one of the LOS's best (like Bruce Wayne was supposed to be) except he was exiled due to jealousy. He didn't lose his faith in the cause though and clearly played a big role in carrying on the LOS's missions when Batman killed Raz.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 06:45 PM
I do like how this movie made Raz Al Ghul "immortal" through the actions of his kid. I thought that was another good way of Nolan making the comic book ideas "real"

redzero
I don't agree with your characterization of what he became just because Talia turned out to be the kid who escaped. He still plotted everything that happend and carried it out. He still kicked Batman's ass.

I agree with this. He might not have been the one calling out all the shots, but he played his part perfectly.

People who don't like Talia being the boss seem to erase from their minds everything Bane did alone up until the reveal.

mingus
That didn't really bother me for a couple of reasons.

For one, at the moment of the takeover, the President's comments (and Gordon's response) made it pretty clear the city was largely on its own. The government would have to tread very carefully in such a situation.

Also, the movie skips through five months in about five minutes. I, too, would find it difficult to believe that the one failed covert mission was the only thing the government tried to end Bane's control. However, I find it pretty to believe/assume that the government may have tried and failed several times during the five months but that we just didn't see it.

Drones & Choppers, or Jones to show as the ONE military attempt to rescue Gotham? It is a lot easier to assume the military tried and failed several times over the course of the 5-month period without showing it if Nolan had a scene where the military showed all its muscle and failed regardless. Nolan failed to build up the Gotham is "on its own" atmosphere. He instead devotes two scenes to Sgt. Jones trying to collaborate with Blake and Gordon. Throughout the movie I had more of a feeling of Gotham was on its own due to the puny efforts of the military than because of Bane's power over it.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 06:48 PM
BTW was anyone else amazed by how little the trailer actually gave away in the end? I was getting pissed with the trailers because I felt they were telling the story way too in depth and in the end they really didn't ruin shit for me at all. Well, with the exception of the football field scene. That would have been cool to just see.

Also, I was surprised when it turned out Batman was alive. I fully expected him to die. Good twist.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 06:49 PM

I don't really think that's what happened, but, yeah, I'm really okay with how things played out. I saw it much more as Bane working with Talia, rather than Bane working for Talia, and I therefore don't think his mastermind badassness was undone by the presence of the skirt.

redzero
07-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Then again, prior to this trilogy I don't think I would have thought ANYONE could have done this with any comic book movie. The Amazing Spiderman tried to be this movie and obviously failed miserably.

The Amazing Spider-Man tried to have the grittier approach with the scenes taking place at night and the cops constantly chasing Spider-Man, but at the same time, it had people turn into Lizards. The tone was all messed up.

mingus
07-21-2012, 06:51 PM
BTW was anyone else amazed by how little the trailer actually gave away in the end? I was getting pissed with the trailers because I felt they were telling the story way too in depth and in the end they really didn't ruin shit for me at all. Well, with the exception of the football field scene. That would have been cool to just see.

Also, I was surprised when it turned out Batman was alive. I fully expected him to die. Good twist.

The movie pretty much gave it away that that was going to happen by placing nuggests here and there. When Batamn asks Catwoman for help and he offers her the clean slate (the apple scene IIRC) he says he'll take her there (to erase her past criminal life). Also, the constant mention of autopilot. It wasn't that surprising imo.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 06:52 PM
So then the pit in this version was not the same that is referenced in the comics. Also, did no one else notice that lime green lake outside the prison?

I did see Bane freak out when his mask was messed up, but if it's not for Venom then I have no idea what it's function was and why he needed it so bad? They mentioned it was for the "pain" but that was it and it's still unclear to me what exactly the purpose and function was.

redzero
07-21-2012, 06:54 PM
There was no magical pit that resurrected dead people.

The mask was for Bane's pain. Without it working properly, he freaked out and started swinging madly at Batman.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Also, Red, what about my finger prints comment? I mean, the world saw the hostile take over and the ensuing chase - so would it not have been quite easy to prove Wayne didn't do anything they said he did?

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 06:56 PM
The Amazing Spider-Man tried to have the grittier approach with the scenes taking place at night and the cops constantly chasing Spider-Man, but at the same time, it had people turn into Lizards. The tone was all messed up.

Yeah, that movie was just all over the place.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 06:56 PM
There was no magical pit that resurrected dead people.

The mask was for Bane's pain. Without it working properly, he freaked out and started swinging madly at Batman.

His pain from what? And what did the mask do (was it giving him medicine?) to ease the pain?

Also, I get what you are saying about the prison being the pit - but that is not what the pit was in the comics, correct? There was actually several pits around the world with seemingly magical powers to heal the hurt and give them strength, right?

I could have sworn I saw a toxic green lake looking thing when Batman was standing outside the prison, but I guess not.

redzero
07-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Also, Red, what about my finger prints comment? I mean, the world saw the hostile take over and the ensuing chase - so would it not have been quite easy to prove Wayne didn't do anything they said he did?

Who would have been around for that? The city was in total chaos, Bruce Wayne was gone, and the board of Wayne Enterprises were in hiding. That was not on anybody's list of priorities.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 06:58 PM

Probably so. Fox did mention they might be able to fight it but that it would take a long time. The point was merely to get access to the reactor which they got anyway.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Who would have been around for that? The city was in total chaos, Bruce Wayne was gone, and the board of Wayne Enterprises were in hiding. That was not on anybody's list of priorities.

Huh? The stock market heist was one of the first things that happened, no? It is what bankrupted Bruce Wayne and led to him giving the girl the power to be the CEO (Raz's daughter). That all happened before things went nuts.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 06:59 PM
His pain from what? And what did the mask do (was it giving him medicine?) to ease the pain?

Also, I get what you are saying about the prison being the pit - but that is not what the pit was in the comics, correct? There was actually several pits around the world with seemingly magical powers to heal the hurt and give them strength, right?

I could have sworn I saw a toxic green lake looking thing when Batman was standing outside the prison, but I guess not.

:lol How would you know any lake is toxic?

The prison was a metaphor in that it did what the pit in the comic books did in a real world way. Nolan never brought in magic to his series, so he couldn't bring in magic of that sort.

leemajors
07-21-2012, 06:59 PM
So then the pit in this version was not the same that is referenced in the comics. Also, did no one else notice that lime green lake outside the prison?

I did see Bane freak out when his mask was messed up, but if it's not for Venom then I have no idea what it's function was and why he needed it so bad? They mentioned it was for the "pain" but that was it and it's still unclear to me what exactly the purpose and function was.

In the comics there are multiple pits that work just once (initially at least)

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Probably so. Fox did mention they might be able to fight it but that it would take a long time. The point was merely to get access to the reactor which they got anyway.

Ya that is what bothers me. Wayne only gave Talia access because he was bankrupt and the board was calling for his head due to him "shorting the stocks and losing..". If everyone knew it was a robbery, why would they at all think Wayne would have done that and it wasn't an act of the robbers?

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Huh? The stock market heist was one of the first things that happened, no? It is what bankrupted Bruce Wayne and led to him giving the girl the power to be the CEO (Raz's daughter). That all happened before things went nuts.

Yeah like one day before. The board wanted him gone. They weren't anxious to stop the take over. Heist happens, the next day he's out. It took Fox that night to figure out exactly what they were doing.

DPG21920
:lol How would you know any lake is toxic?

The prison was a metaphor in that it did what the pit in the comic books did in a real world way. Nolan never brought in magic to his series, so he couldn't bring in magic of that sort.

:lol I don't know it was toxic - I used that word to describe what I saw in the background because I have never seen a mountain dew colored lake before.

redzero

Bane was fucked up by the other prisoners after helping Talia escape. Remember the part that showed his face wrapped in bloody wraps? The mask administered anesthesia.

The Lazarus Pits could revive dead people, but they also made them slightly crazier each time they were used. Ra's Al Ghul in the comics used the pit for hundreds of years. The movie Ra's Al Ghul, instead, used decoys of himself to make it seem like he was immortal. Nobody was revived by any magical pits in the movie.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Ya that is what bothers me. Wayne only gave Talia access because he was bankrupt and the board was calling for his head due to him "shorting the stocks and losing..". If everyone knew it was a robbery, why would they at all think Wayne would have done that and it wasn't an act of the robbers?

They didn't thik it was a robbery. The hijack of the place was just to get control of the computers to do the trades. millions if not billions of those trades go out on a daily basis so it would have been reallly hard to just prove it was all fucked up.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 07:03 PM

Yeah, I saw that. I thought it might be a nod to the comics, but saw no reason to consider it the actual Lazarus Pits. Could also just have been a lake that's in Jodhpur that looked green because of the lighting.

Don't think it's really important/necessary to know much more about it than that. He got the shit kicked out of him in prison, the "doctor" didn't have the ability to fix what was wrong with him, the mask administers a painkiller without which he's in agony. You can't have Bane without the mask, but you can't have Venom in Nolan's universe, so this was a means to an end.

redzero
07-21-2012, 07:04 PM

There was maybe a day between Wayne actually finding out that he lost all his money and him being captured by Bane.

You might be right that they could have handled that part better, but there wasn't much time for anything to be done.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 07:04 PM
There are definitely places you have to suspend disbelief - Wayne healing, Bane controlling Gotham so easily, etc etc, but I had no problem with the stock market shit.

TE
07-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Fuck, it was stupid of me to ask that question which led me to anticipate a reply, which made me skim through some posts.

I'm just gonna watch the movie and answer my own question afterward.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Really I had more of a problem with the magic knee brace. :lol

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Bane was fucked up by the other prisoners after helping Talia escape. Remember the part that showed his face wrapped in bloody wraps? The mask administered anesthesia.

The Lazarus Pits could revive dead people, but they also made them slightly crazier each time they were used. Ra's Al Ghul in the comics used the pit for hundreds of years. The movie Ra's Al Ghul, instead, used decoys of himself to make it seem like he was immortal. Nobody was revived by any magical pits in the movie.

Ok, that's what I thought, but I never read the comics so was trying to see the differences in how they used the terms. Also, that still doesn't explain the lake I saw in the background but maybe no one else saw it and I was imagining things.

About the mask - I remember his faced being messed up and the doctor saying it was for "pain", and you can infer what the mask was for but never heard an actual explanation and was trying to piece why it was so critical for so long.

mingus
There are definitely places you have to suspend disbelief - Wayne healing, Bane controlling Gotham so easily, etc etc, but I had no problem with the stock market shit.

It would have been cool if Fox gave him a robotic leg. I don't see how that piece of junk looking thing he put on could have made him that much better. And why didn't he just get one of those for convenience sake before?

The movie tried a little too hard to make Batman a handicap. All they were missing was a pissing bag and handicap sticker.

Ginobilly

You thought he lived? I interpreted as more of a symbol of batman's immortality. Yes he died, but his idea of a protector of the people lives on. Anybody could be Batman. You hear he tells blake that when they're riding together. What Alfred saw was nothing more than a symbolic meaning that Bruce Wayne finally found peace in his life and has rejoined his parents. Nolan is a tricky bastard when it comes to twists. I could be wrong and Batman did escape due to all those gadgets he has in his utility belt.

redzero
07-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Ok, that's what I thought, but I never read the comics so was trying to see the differences in how they used the terms. Also, that still doesn't explain the lake I saw in the background but maybe no one else saw it and I was imagining things.

About the mask - I remember his faced being messed up and the doctor saying it was for "pain", and you can infer what the mask was for but never heard an actual explanation and was trying to piece why it was so critical for so long.

I must have missed them. They could have been a nod to the comics, like the "crocodiles in the sewer" line.

mingus
07-21-2012, 07:11 PM
You thought he lived? I interpreted as more of a symbol of batman's immortality. Yes he died, but his idea of a protector of the people lives on. Anybody could be Batman. You hear he tells blake that when they're riding together. What Alfred saw was nothing more than a symbolic meaning that Bruce Wayne finally found peace in his life and has rejoined his parents. Nolan is a tricky bastard when it comes to twists. I could be wrong and Batman did escape due to all those gadgets he has in his utility belt.

key word: autopilot. also, in the "apple" scene Bruce promises Selena that he will take her there (where she can have a different identity) if she helps him. It is clear he is alive at the end.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 07:12 PM

It's not Inception. Bruce and Selina in the cafe aren't a spinning top.

redzero
07-21-2012, 07:12 PM

1.) Alfred saw Selina with Bruce. Why would he symbolically see her with him?
2.) Bruce's mother's pearls were also missing. Selina was wearing them in the cafe.
3.) The bat-signal was repaired.
4.) One of the Wayne Enterprises engineers mentioned that Bruce Wayne fixed the auto-pilot for The Bat six months ago.

There really isn't any question that Bruce survived.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 07:15 PM
It would have been cool if Fox gave him a robotic leg. I don't see how that piece of junk looking thing he put on could have made him that much better. And why didn't he just get one of those for convenience sake before?

The movie tried a little too hard to make Batman a handicap. All they were missing was a pissing bag and handicap sticker.

I get what they did with Bruce being beat up. That is how Bane was smart. He waited until Batman was worn out from fighting all the criminals and locking them up. He struck when Batman was the weakest.

I think in the comics - Bane free's the Joker from Arkham, plunges the city into chaos and Batman gets worn out trying to round everone up and that is when Bane beats him down. But with Heath dying, you couldn't do that so this made sense.

Ginobilly
07-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I saw that. I thought it might be a nod to the comics, but saw no reason to consider it the actual Lazarus Pits. Could also just have been a lake that's in Jodhpur that looked green because of the lighting.

Don't think it's really important/necessary to know much more about it than that. He got the shit kicked out of him in prison, the "doctor" didn't have the ability to fix what was wrong with him, the mask administers a painkiller without which he's in agony. You can't have Bane without the mask, but you can't have Venom in Nolan's universe, so this was a means to an end.

venom is a form of steroids. So steroids don't exist in Nolan's realistic world? So how do you explain Bane's superhuman strength? Painkillers do not give you super athletic ability and strength. It must have been venom and I think Nolan taught he didn't need to do any explaining because the whole world knows Bane's on the roids.

redzero
07-21-2012, 07:17 PM
venom is a form of steroids. So steroids don't exist in Nolan's realistic world? So how do you explain Bane's superhuman strength? Painkillers do not give you super athletic ability and strength. It must have been venom and I think Nolan taught he didn't need to do any explaining because the whole world knows Bane's on the roids.

Everything you post is wrong. Stop.

mingus
07-21-2012, 07:18 PM
I get what they did with Bruce being beat up. That is how Bane was smart. He waited until Batman was worn out from fighting all the criminals and locking them up. He struck when Batman was the weakest.

I think in the comics - Bane free's the Joker from Arkham, plunges the city into chaos and Batman gets worn out trying to round everone up and that is when Bane beats him down. But with Heath dying, you couldn't do that so this made sense.

Yeah, but sometimes it felt like they went overboard with it and it felt forced.

mingus
07-21-2012, 07:20 PM
I was hoping for the Batwheelchair.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 07:24 PM

I loled

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 07:33 PM
I am going to try and go watch it again tomorrow tbh.

redzero
07-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Bane parts I thought were great.

- The opening, although the loudness of his voice was distracting.
- The stock market scene. Paraphrasing:
"There is nothing for you to steal."
"Really? Then why are you here?"
- Bane handing one of his henchmen a tracer, telling him to follow Gordon, then shooting him. That part was funny and awesome at the same time.
- The scene where he killed Daggett. Nolan definitely did a good job making Bane physically imposing in this scene. Why Daggett trusted him is beyond me. This exchange was good:
"I'm the one in control."
"Do you feel in control?"
- The first Batman-Bane fight. Batman had no idea what he was in for when they threw down.
- The scene on the football field. The part where he gets Pavel to identify himself for the audience then kills him, was good.
- The speech he made in front of Blackgate. Tom Hardy was damn impressive because he was able to show so much emotion with most of his face covered up.
- Bane freaking out after Batman messes up his mask.

As I said before, and at the risk of sounding like lefty, the supervillains in Nolan's movies outclass almost all the others. Nobody else takes the effort to actually make their supervillains intimidating or as sympathetic as Nolan does.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 07:51 PM
- The speech he made in front of Blackgate. Tom Hardy was damn impressive because he was able to show so much emotion with most of his face covered up.

There was more than a little Charlie Bronson in that speech.

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Did no one else get the same vibe as me when Batman was beating Bane and started yelling "tell me who is the trigger man, I know you wouldn't leave it to a normal person..." - How that was similar to when he lost it with The Joker in the interrogation room?

DPG21920
07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Ya - that part with Bane telling that guy "do you feel like you are in control" was boss. I have thought about that so many times when I am sitting around in a public setting - how many people feel they have control and how would they react if something went haywire, how would I react?

I also loved how Bane in the first fight was just basically taking Batman's best shots and letting himself get hit and it didn't even phase him :lol. It's like when I watch a boxing match or have seen a UFC fight and I think "if Brock Lesner let me punch him as hard as I could in the face would it even hurt him - what the hell would happen to me if I had to fight him" :lol

CubanSucks
07-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Damn there's been a lot since I've been in here. First off, why the fuck is there 2 other TDKR threads? wtf is that? Anyways, awesome movie. I think it could've been a 4 hour long movie tbh. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of the underground strategizing going on between Gordon, his crew, and the trapped cops while Bane had the city on lockdown. I also loved the times when Wayne was in the prison, I would've loved to see more with him and the 2 cellmates.

Regardless, I don't know how I'd rank them all but easily the most epic of the 3 just like with most other great trilogies: Star Wars, TLotR, the man with no name trilogy, Indiana Jones

First movie is always more personal and main character based. Second is more dark and brooding. Third is more widescale with more characters involved

I guess this is the new DKR thread...

Did no one else get the same vibe as me when Batman was beating Bane and started yelling "tell me who is the trigger man, I know you wouldn't leave it to a normal person..." - How that was similar to when he lost it with The Joker in the interrogation room?

yup. I swear I've never wanted to get up and start screaming and throw fake punches like I did when Batman started to beat Bane. If I was at home alone I probably would have. His resilience and tenacity after getting his ass kicked pretty much reminded me of who he is, not some cop that goes rogue and knows some karate but rather a former elite student of Ra's. Even though Bane is so physically intimidating, there's a reason Ra's called him his greatest student ever.

"if Brock Lesner let me punch him as hard as I could in the face would it even hurt him - what the hell would happen to me if I had to fight him" :lol

lol bad example. Pretty sure a butterfly could land on Brock Lesnar's face and he'd go tumbling

redzero
07-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Ya - that part with Bane telling that guy "do you feel like you are in control" was boss. I have thought about that so many times when I am sitting around in a public setting - how many people feel they have control and how would they react if something went haywire, how would I react?

That scene and quote perfectly sums up the character of Bane in that movie.

redzero
07-21-2012, 10:44 PM
boGC4sB1RP8

First Bane-Batman fight scene in shitty quality. YouTube will probably take it down soon.

This was almost a five minute long curbstomping. Nolan definitely gave the Bane fans what they wanted.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 10:52 PM
boGC4sB1RP8

First Bane-Batman fight scene in shitty quality. YouTube will probably take it down soon.

This was almost a five minute long curbstomping. Nolan definitely gave the Bane fans what they wanted.

When live action Bane did live action this (http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5093/batmanknightfallpart1br.jpg)... pretty sure the guys sitting next to me in the theater heard my O noise.

redzero
07-21-2012, 10:57 PM
http://s7.postimage.org/bp4jokyrt/1342913954909.gif

Darth_Pelican
07-21-2012, 10:57 PM
boGC4sB1RP8

Thanks for posting. This was one of the best ass whippings by a villian to a hero in any movie, and it only made the 2nd confrontation with the 2 of them feel that much more gratifying when the tables were turned.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Gonna go see it again. :lol

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Gonna go see it again. :lol

Ditto. Probably at least a couple more times.

Hell, I'd go back tomorrow if I didn't have a paper to write and a trip to get ready for all in the next few days.

monosylab1k
07-21-2012, 11:10 PM

In the end he was just carrying out Talia's plan to avenge her father's death. He tricked people to believe in an ideal that he didn't truly believe in, he was just doing it to appease his pedolove with Talia. Fuck that whole ending. Bane deserved better.

CuckingFunt
07-21-2012, 11:15 PM
In the wnd he was just carrying out Talia's plan to avenge her father's death. He tricked people to believe in an ideal that he didn't truly believe in, he was just doing it to appease his pedolove with Talia. Fuck that whole ending. Bane deserved better.

Projection, dude. There's absolutely nothing in the film itself to suggest they weren't his ideals or that he was carrying out her plan.

monosylab1k
07-21-2012, 11:16 PM
boGC4sB1RP8

Until they made him a pedofaggot.

monosylab1k
07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Projection, dude. There's absolutely nothing in the film itself to suggest they weren't his ideals or that he was carrying out her plan.

Except that they WERE her plans. She clearly was there to avenge her father's death and "fulfill his destiny". Why else is Bane there? Sorry but Nolan turned a badass villain into a pedo lovesick emofag. It sucks.

redzero
07-21-2012, 11:25 PM
It's what EVERYBODY in the League wanted. Bane was a member before Talia was even born. I don't know why you are claiming otherwise.

monosylab1k
07-21-2012, 11:31 PM
He was excommunicated for bullshit reasons. Talia said so. Talia was the same way until Batman killed her father. SHE SAID SO. Then out of revenge she wanted to fulfill her father's destiny, and when she wanted that PedoBain was there to be her puppet.

redzero
07-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Just because he was excommunicated doesn't he magically dropped his belief system. Nothing Talia wanted to do went against Bane's beliefs.

monosylab1k
07-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Just because he was excommunicated doesn't he magically dropped his belief system. Nothing Talia wanted to do went against Bane's beliefs.

:lmao so he ignored his pedolove and stuck to his guns. If only Sandusky did the same thing.

Sorry but the faggy tear down Bane's cheek betrays you.

monosylab1k
07-21-2012, 11:51 PM

WHAT?????? Lolololol

redzero
07-21-2012, 11:51 PM
I didn't claim anything about him ignoring anything. You still haven't explained how it's impossible for him to want to destroy Gotham for Talia and for the League of Shadows (the group in which he was previously a member)

UZER
07-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Why do yall keep saying pedobane? He just cared for a little girl born in a prison. He was trying to protect a kid. And the fact the she calls him his friend at the end was there to show it wasnt that kind of relationship they had.

CuckingFunt
07-22-2012, 12:04 AM
WHAT?????? Lolololol

I saw it much more as Bane working with Talia, rather than Bane working for Talia

CuckingFunt
07-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Why do yall keep saying pedobane?

Mono needed an excuse for Sandusky jokes.

UZER
07-22-2012, 12:05 AM
1) Nolan did a good job of establishing how ruthless and violent Bane was that when Batman is first caged in....my heart was pounding....felt the eminent doom coming.

2) Seeing Batman fly in front of the cops on the batpod in the tunnel was awesome since I got the same rush the cops did because I hadn't seen him in four years (real time) either. His comment to the rookie cop, something along the lines of "you gonna have fun tonight" was great because he had seen Batman in action before.

I let myself enjoy this movie without trying to nitpick. I'll do that later. For now, I let myself feel like a kid again since I felt like "my" batman started with Michael keaton when I was a kid, and ended with Bale retiring. Kinda felt like I was watching Duncan retire....so to speak.

redzero
07-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I mean, if Bane was just some random prisoner with no League of Shadows connections, I could see mono's point. But he wasn't.

SA210
07-22-2012, 01:42 AM

:lol

SA210
07-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Just got back from watching it a 2nd time. I loved it even more this time around. I love this movie, the ending knowing Robin is taking over is really satisfying.

Anybody like this line?......

Batman turns and the cliche happened that I HATE, which is the other person vanishes before they turn back around. I HATE that. When he turned I told my brother that Catwoman was going to be gone and I rolled my eyes...

Then Batman says, "So that's what that feels like"

:lmao That made it all better

crc21209
07-22-2012, 01:51 AM
I loved the movie. I went to the midnight premiere but I think I gotta watch it at least once more in theatres to really take every detail in while im fully awake :lol. But overall I think this was a better movie than TDK, not taking anything away from that film. I just feel that this was a more complete film than that one. I think the Joker just carried that film while this one was carried by the entire cast...from Batman to Bane to Catwoman/Selina Kyle to Alfred. Michael Caine did a damn good job as Alfred, and actually made me feel sad about what was going on between him and Bruce, that was awesome. I love the way Nolan handled Bane, the guy was just a straight up beast and an asskicker. :tu

crc21209
07-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Just got back from watching it a 2nd time. I loved it even more this time around. I love this movie, the ending knowing Robin is taking over is really satisfying.

Anybody like this line?......

Batman turns and the cliche happened that I HATE, which is the other person vanishes before they turn back around. I HATE that. When he turned I told my brother that Catwoman was going to be gone and I rolled my eyes...

Then Batman says, "So that's what that feels like"

:lmao That made it all better

:lol I knew when he turned around, Catwoman was going to be gone. I loved that line Batman threw out after...:lol Classic...

Jacob1983
07-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Did anyone think that when they showed Alfred at the end and he was looking at something that it was going to fade to black and the credits and leaving it like Inception where you didn't know what to think? I thought that it was going to make you think that he was looking at Bruce Wayne but wasn't going to show it. I was wrong and I'm glad. It would have sucked if you didn't see Bruce Wayne at that table.

cantthinkofanything
07-22-2012, 02:23 AM
Best line of the movie..."I'M SUCKING YOUR TOES."

redzero
07-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Best line of the movie..."I'M SUCKING YOUR TOES."

I was just thinking that this thread could use some unfunny, try-hard posts by cantthinkofanything. Thanks for that.

cantthinkofanything
07-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Oh...good...another redzero cocksucker cameo

mingus
07-22-2012, 03:12 AM
I saw it again.

Coming away from it a second time, I think it is the best in the trilogy. Though I think there are some things I would have liked to see in it (more of an effort on the part of the military to save Gotham) and some things taken out (Batman utilizing the dark and stealth more instead of just going Chuck Norris on bad guys while they point their guns to the ground, as well as the overdone thing where Batman is a parapalegic and seconds later he's climbing on roof tops after putting on a brace that I could probably buy at Walmart), I think on first viewing I didn't give credit where credit is due, and that's pretty much everything else about the movie.

They way I rank the series:
1. TDKR
2. BB
3. TDK

SA210
07-22-2012, 03:21 AM
I saw it again.

Coming away from it a second time, I think it is the best in the trilogy. Though I think there are some things I would have liked to see in it (more of an effort on the part of the military to save Gotham) and some things taken out (Batman utilizing the dark and stealth more instead of just going Chuck Norris on bad guys while they point their guns to the ground, as well as the overdone thing where Batman is a parapalegic and seconds later he's climbing on roof tops after putting on a brace that I could probably buy at Walmart), I think on first viewing I didn't give credit where credit is due, and that's pretty much everything else about the movie.

They way I rank the series:
1. TDKR
2. BB
3. TDK

TDK definitely last place for me too. :tu

mingus
07-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Did anyone think that when they showed Alfred at the end and he was looking at something that it was going to fade to black and the credits and leaving it like Inception where you didn't know what to think? I thought that it was going to make you think that he was looking at Bruce Wayne but wasn't going to show it. I was wrong and I'm glad. It would have sucked if you didn't see Bruce Wayne at that table.

I really wanted a freeze frame to end it when Bruce and Selena were at the cafe enjoying themselves.

mingus
07-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Now that I think about it, the freeze frame thing might have been too corny.

mavs>spurs
07-22-2012, 03:30 AM
Only thing I didn't like was how Bane was this ultra intimidating supervillain for 2 and a half hours then suddenly he's just Talia's stooge and gets taken out in an instant. One of the best villains I've ever seen in a movie deserved a better ending than that.

8.5/10

MannyIsGod
07-22-2012, 03:46 AM
Just got back from the 2nd viewing. Liked it better this time around. Definitely don't get anything of what Mono is talking about. For one, she tells Bane not to kill Batman. What does he do the moment she leaves? Tries to kill Batman.

The pacing of the film is outstanding which is one reason its so good for a nearly 3 hour long film. Score is great as well (again).

mavs>spurs
07-22-2012, 04:09 AM
more thoughts..Talia Al Ghul was completely pointless and her role in the end only annoyed me, and I felt, took away from Bane. Her presence only served to prop up a half baked love triangle between Bruce, her, and Catwoman that didn't really need to be there and when they explained her backstory, I got pissed. yes, I know Talia is Ra's Al Ghul's daughter in all other batman media. That is all well and good, but when you build up Bane as a guy that A) Was born and raised in hell & fought his way out of The Pit and B) The Son of Ra's Al Ghul & was so twisted that not even his anarchistic father wanted anything to do with him, and then to reveal at the very end that he's pretty much just a lackey was VERY annoying. they took someone who was an uninteresting character all the way through the movie, and made her the main bad guy right at the tail end in a twist that was so obvious I was praying for it not to happen, and it was done at the expense of the main villain. And then right after that happens, Bane gets killed like a punk and then Talia dies like 3 minutes later. So what was the point of her? What was the point of that lame twist? Why couldn't Bane just be Ra's demented fallen son? I would have gone with it! Its not like the comics, but I would have gone with that over the Talia angle they shoehorned in at the end.

CubanSucks
07-22-2012, 04:15 AM
more thoughts..Talia Al Ghul was completely pointless and her role in the end only annoyed me, and I felt, took away from Bane. Her presence only served to prop up a half baked love triangle between Bruce, her, and Catwoman that didn't really need to be there and when they explained her backstory, I got pissed. yes, I know Talia is Ra's Al Ghul's daughter in all other batman media. That is all well and good, but when you build up Bane as a guy that A) Was born and raised in hell & fought his way out of The Pit and B) The Son of Ra's Al Ghul & was so twisted that not even his anarchistic father wanted anything to do with him, and then to reveal at the very end that he's pretty much just a lackey was VERY annoying. they took someone who was an uninteresting character all the way through the movie, and made her the main bad guy right at the tail end in a twist that was so obvious I was praying for it not to happen, and it was done at the expense of the main villain. And then right after that happens, Bane gets killed like a punk and then Talia dies like 3 minutes later. So what was the point of her? What was the point of that lame twist? Why couldn't Bane just be Ra's demented fallen son? I would have gone with it! Its not like the comics, but I would have gone with that over the Talia angle they shoehorned in at the end.

I like what you've said in your last 2 posts except for Bane's death. It was fine to me. He has Batman where he wants him and makes it known he's about to kill him and then boom! Batman's future wife/gf/significant-other saves him in her first noble outing

blkroadrunners
07-22-2012, 07:30 AM
I saw it for the 1st time last night and I have to say I was pretty impressed. Going into the theaters, I didn't think it would top TDK, but once I left I'd easily put it first with BB at third. Just like Avengers though, I'm not going to watch it a second time. Instead I'll just wait for the blu-ray and get my money's worth from that.

My only true con from the movie was the contrast between that and the comics (mainly pointing at John Blake/Robin character), but Nolan did a great job overturning that and making the movie compelling.

Leetonidas
07-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Nice spoiler alert you chode :pctoss

redzero
07-22-2012, 09:26 AM

How does Tate being evil prop up a love triangle? One would think that it would do the exact opposite.

jag
07-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Redzero has been pretty spot on with how I feel about the film. I want to see it again before I start to analyze it too much though, because I feel like I usually miss so many little details the first time around.

mingus
07-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Nice spoiler alert you chode :pctoss

The point of making this thread was to avoid having to use that gay spoiler alert shit. I figured people would pick up on that. Sorry, dude.

monosylab1k
07-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Just got back from the 2nd viewing. Liked it better this time around. Definitely don't get anything of what Mono is talking about. For one, she tells Bane not to kill Batman. What does he do the moment she leaves? Tries to kill Batman.

Was that before or after Bane cried as she was telling Batman about his love for her?

Spurs da champs
07-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Bane was just fucking awesome & his cunning was on par with the Joker's from the previous film but he had the strength to match his smarts, which made him the perfect villain.

I agree tho Bane shoulda had a better death/ending then that.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Liked it better than the dark knight. Bane was awesome, but it was stupid not having him as the master mind.

Also unnecessary inclusion of Robin was dumb.
Didn't like the way Bane died either.

Bane's voice reminded me if a more sinister version of Seth Mcfarlane in hell boy 2.

Overall great movie,

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
I high fived a lot of people after it was over

johnsmith
07-22-2012, 12:36 PM
I thought it was a great movie and was my favorite of the trilogy.

I didn't like how Bain died, and I especially didn't like how every time someone walked into the theatre I felt like I needed to make sure they weren't coming in to shoot the place up.....that really pissed me off.

VBM
07-22-2012, 01:18 PM
:lmao Hines Ward returning a kickoff for a TD

SA210
07-22-2012, 01:20 PM
The pacing of the film is outstanding which is one reason its so good for a nearly 3 hour long film. Score is great as well (again).

This.

I did not think the pacing was that great in TDK though.

dirk4mvp
07-22-2012, 02:29 PM
definitely mirin Bane's traps, but is that the only part of his body he worked out for the role? either way he was pretty cool.

blkroadrunners
07-22-2012, 02:31 PM

:lol My g/f said the exact same thing during that scene

Lincoln
07-22-2012, 02:36 PM

During the anthem I was like "wtf is that Hines ward?" and then when he returned the kickoff and it showed the jersey I :lmao

redzero
07-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Saw it again IMAX. Amazing this time around.

DPG21920
07-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Seeing it in 30

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Oh yeah
I also don't understand why Batman was stupid enough to rush in against Bane, teamed up with someone he had absolutely no reason to trust. And he had already seen video tape of Bane fighting, Alfred making comments on how fast and viscous he was.

but the final fight scene between Bateman and Bane was epic, I only wish the fight coulda lasted longer

CubanSucks
07-22-2012, 03:35 PM
but the final fight scene between Bateman and Bane was epic, I only wish the fight coulda lasted longer

:tu Like I said, I wanted to get up and start yelling and cheering for Batman. For lack of a better word, I got crunk as shit

Spurs da champs
07-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Seeing it in 30

What's that?

mavs>spurs
07-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Also, why was batman like fighting with the same style as Bane? Batman is supposed to use stealth and intelligence just as much as brute strength imho. It didn't make sense for batman to just rush him and try to duke it out every time, at least especially after he got his ass kicked that way the first time.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I think batman was pissed at Bane for fucking him up and sending him to the pit, he wanted to out muscle bane out of anger

MannyIsGod
07-22-2012, 04:03 PM
MMA training Hardy got while doing Warrior really showed in the final fight scene with the body punches.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2012, 04:10 PM
The effect on Banes voice also reminded me a little of Orson Wells as Unicron in Transformers the Movie.
I wanted him to say
"For a time
I considered sparing your wretched planet of Cybertron.
but now, you shall witness...its dismemberment!"

redzero
07-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Having seen the movie again, I liked the editing more. I know some will disagree, but this didn't seem like an almost three hour long movie. It went from scene to seen at a fast pace, with no part running on for too long.

Also, why was batman like fighting with the same style as Bane? Batman is supposed to use stealth and intelligence just as much as brute strength imho. It didn't make sense for batman to just rush him and try to duke it out every time, at least especially after he got his ass kicked that way the first time.

Stealth didn't work too well the first time he tried using it.

mavs>spurs
07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
then he could have used gadgets, speed, quickness, agility, anything other than overpowering the most powerful character in the series using brute strength and therefore pussifying the character. if bane's selling point is his strength and batman just overpowers him, wow what a great villain :rolleyes

batman doesn't even typically fight like that, he's smarter than that

SA210
07-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Oh yeah
I also don't understand why Batman was stupid enough to rush in against Bane, teamed up with someone he had absolutely no reason to trust. And he had already seen video tape of Bane fighting, Alfred making comments on how fast and viscous he was.

This is very true. I really thought about this the 2nd time I was watching it last night. I was like wtf is Batman just going in there to fight Bane with NO plan against all of Bane's gang there too, on Bane's turf? wtf lol

I had to do what Manny says, suspend disbelief :lol

But I loved it.

Private Joker got on my nerves a lil bit during that scene where he wanted to catch the Batman. That was something I thought where they/he tried too hard, kind of like TDK with that moron in the bank trying to act all hard lol. I hate those kinds of scenes.

VBM
07-22-2012, 04:37 PM
This is very true. I really thought about this the 2nd time I was watching it last night. I was like wtf is Batman just going in there to fight Bane with NO plan against all of Bane's gang there too, on Bane's turf? wtf lol

His plan was to surprise him. Catwoman sold him out though.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2012, 04:39 PM

I had to do what Manny says, suspend disbelief :lol

But I loved it.

Private Joker got on my nerves a lil bit during that scene where he wanted to catch the Batman. That was something I thought where they/he tried too hard, kind of like TDK with that moron in the bank trying to act all hard lol. I hate those kinds of scenes.

Just realized what you guys mean by private joker
Thought thet gut was familiar

SA210
07-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Just realized what you guys mean by private joker
Thought thet gut was familiar

He fucked up though. He didn't show his war face.

SA210
07-22-2012, 04:57 PM
His plan was to surprise him. Catwoman sold him out though.

So he was supposed to surprise him AND all his men on their turf with just him and Catwoman?

I had to just let that one go and move on lol

redzero
07-22-2012, 05:02 PM
then he could have used gadgets, speed, quickness, agility, anything other than overpowering the most powerful character in the series using brute strength and therefore pussifying the character. if bane's selling point is his strength and batman just overpowers him, wow what a great villain :rolleyes

batman doesn't even typically fight like that, he's smarter than that

He did try to use gadgets. Bane knew all about Batman's tricks, so the gadgets weren't effective. Nothing was working.

mavs>spurs
07-22-2012, 05:04 PM
idk i'm just expecting batman to shoot his grappling hook, swing off a building swoop around and kick bane in the face, not try to box him straight up.

batman shouldn't overpower bane, he just shouldn't. that's not the way the series goes. bane has to be weakened in order for that to happen, which he wasn't.

redzero
07-22-2012, 05:12 PM
The first fight, he tried fighting head on. That wasn't working and he was getting visibly frustrated. Then, he tried using his little smoke bombs. That didn't work. After that, he tried stealth. That didn't work. He learned his lesson the second time around, which is why he went for the mask, now knowing what it does. It was pretty clear that Batman wasn't winning a straight up fight, so he changed his strategy and won.

But I will just make it simpler and say this: Batman knocking Bane out with a gadget would be really boring and anticlimactic.

mavs>spurs
07-22-2012, 05:16 PM
he changed his strategy and went for the mask, but he still did it by beating his ass and punching him multiple times in the face straight up. dude could have like swung off a building and super kicked him in the mask or something, cmon it's batman he's supposed to use his agility.

or shot him with the grappling hook with the mask and then retrieved it, ripping off the mask, that would have been cool. like he did to the clown in batman returns, pulling a chunk of the wall out with the grappling hook and hitting him on the retrieval.

blkroadrunners
07-22-2012, 05:17 PM

He was obviously too cocky. Alfred tried to warn him about his speed and strength, but Bruce was too naive into thinking he was another Ra's Al Ghu's minors yet he ran into a buzz saw.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2012, 05:23 PM
I kinda want to see it again solely for Batman / Bane round 1

mavs>spurs
07-22-2012, 05:26 PM
the first fight scene and the escape from the plane scene gotta be a tie for number 1 imho

redzero
07-22-2012, 05:28 PM
The plane scene was so much better in IMAX that it was ridiculous.

mingus
07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
In that first fight scene in particular you could tell how part of the inspiration for his voice is Darth Vader. That scene was very reminiscent of Skywalker's fight with Vader in Empire Strikes back in a couple aspects.

First Batman-Bane fight sequence is one of if not the best showdowns I've seen. Add on the fact that Selena finds out who he is as he getting his as handed to him and there is nothing she can do about...that is a scene I will never forget.

mingus
07-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Having seen the movie again, I liked the editing more. I know some will disagree, but this didn't seem like an almost three hour long movie. It went from scene to seen at a fast pace, with no part running on for too long.

+1

Bane gives that exposition to Batman during the first fight as to why "the dark belongs to him"

Against Bane, Batman's stealth is pointless.

Heath Ledger
07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
In that first fight scene in particular you could tell how part of the inspiration for his voice is Darth Vader. That scene was very reminiscent of Skywalker's fight with Vader in Empire Strikes back in a couple aspects.

First Batman-Bane fight sequence is one of if not the best showdowns I've seen. Add on the fact that Selena finds out who he is as he getting his as handed to him and there is nothing she can do about...that is a scene I will never forget.

Vader not even close. More like a really bad Sean Connery. His voice was so overmodulated at times I couldnt understand wtf he was saying.

UZER
07-22-2012, 07:10 PM
The first fight he was extremely cocky because coming off the layoff, he busted on the scene, chased bane away, or so he so he thought, and embarrassed the cops with ease. So he was thinking he was gonna take him out relatively easy. it was ego and all those years of wanting a reason to get back out there and show who he was again to gotham. plus he had lost all fear of dying.

The second figjt was in broad daylight so stealth wasnt an option considering it didnt even work in the dark. And I interpreted his second fight with bane as

1) wanting to fight bane with face to face to prove to the people that were fighting by his side that he wasnt afraid. Kinda like taking down goliath

2) wanting to face his fear, that he had lost, and prove to himself that he could take bane in the same way he was had in the first fight....using all the pent up angry while he was in the pit

Just my thoughts

MannyIsGod
07-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Yup, the pacing was amazing.

MannyIsGod
07-22-2012, 07:51 PM
I always have to suspend disbelief. I always have problems with the military stuff in these movies. Fusion bombs have been around for 60 years. Its called a damn Hydrogen bomb. Missiles can't chase a vehicle down and there's no way a glorified helicopter is going to out run a missile. I HATE scenes where the missiles fly around forever making these insane turns and then just run out of gas (or hit something else). They're just cliche but they're also unrealistic as hell. You're going to tell me no one found the Bat in 5 months while it was on a roof? The people investigating the initial plane crash didn't find anything weird about the wings of the plane being so far from the actual fuselage? What good does xfering some blood into the dead body do? Its all going to burn off anyway. How was the cargo plane able to fly while DRAGGING another plane?

I can go on and on. At some point you just realize you're watching a movie about a dude in a bat costume who flies around beating bad guys up and you learn to ignore the details that don't matter in favor of a well designed plot, characters, and good acting.

MannyIsGod
07-22-2012, 07:53 PM
How was he supposed to use stealth in the middle of the day with only minutes left to get the job done? They were out of time. They had to just go straight in and hope for the best.

UZER
07-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Exactly! Suspending belief if part of enjoying these movies. I would say nolan has done a great job of making these films grounded in some sense of reality. If your going to nitpick because the snow is not melting in real time, then you shouldnt be watching these movies.

lefty
07-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Just came back from the movie

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/421456_o.gifhttp://i56.tinypic.com/b9d3sy.gif

Darth_Pelican
07-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Here's the ending, while it lasts on youtube. I got chills in the theater in that moment when Alfred looks up and the theme hits.

F-x_NXtIGGY

TIMMYtoZO
07-22-2012, 10:29 PM
What a spectacular movie. Easily the best movie of the summer. Very well done. I liked the storylines and how Bane was used. Christopher Nolan is the shit. I have seen every film of his except Insomnia and loved them all. Great way to end the series.

lefty
07-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Robin John Blake

I liked how Nolan integrated Dick Grayson's personality and Tim Drake's origin story in 1 person

Oh and I puked when I saw Raplessberger's face

CubanSucks
07-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Here's the ending, while it lasts on youtube. I got chills in the theater in that moment when Alfred looks up and the theme hits.

F-x_NXtIGGY

Motherfuck! Who's the stupid bitch who won't shut the fuck up?!

JoeChalupa
07-23-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm going to see it again for sure but I'll wait for the DVD. Ain't paying another $10 to catch what I missed.

lefty
07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
I have to goi see it like 3 more times, because I can't wait for the Blu-Ray release

Aaaargh

Darth_Pelican
07-23-2012, 10:20 AM
'The Dark Knight Rises' reportedly earns $160 million in opening weekend

Published: Monday, July 23, 2012, 9:27 AM

By The Associated Press (http://connect.nola.com/user/nolaap/index.html)The Associated Press

"The Dark Knight Rises" (http://topics.nola.com/tag/dark%20knight%20rises/index.html) was on track to earn $160 million, which would be a record for 2-D films, over the weekend following a mass shooting at a Colorado screening (http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/07/batman_movie_premiere_shooting.html) of the Batman film. Citing box office insiders, The Hollywood Reporter, Los Angeles Times, New York Times and other media outlets reported Sunday that the latest Batman sequel earned $160 million to $162 million.
Christian Bale reprises his role as Batman / Bruce Wayne in director Christopher Nolan's trilogy-capping 'The Dark Knight Rises.'
That amount would best the $158.4 million debut of "The Dark Knight" (http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2008/07/dark_knight_is_the_best_superh.html) in 2008 and give "Dark Knight Rises" the third-highest domestic weekend opening ever, after the 3-D films "The Avengers" with $207.4 million and "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- Part 2" with $169.2 million.
The Hollywood Reporter also cited box office sources who said "Dark Knight Rises" earned $70 million from nine of the 17 countries where it debuted over the weekend, including the United Kingdom, Australia, South Korea and Spain.
Tickets for 3-D films cost a few more dollars than 2-D screenings, netting extra cash at the box office. Movies released in 3-D typically earn under half of their income in 3-D screenings, sometimes as little as a third.

Sony, Fox, Disney, Paramount, Universal and Lionsgate joined "Dark Knight Rises" distributor Warner Bros in publicly withholding their usual revenue reports out of respect for the victims of the deadly shooting early Friday and their families.
Box-office tracking service Rentrak also did not report figures following the Aurora, Colo., shootings that killed 12 and injured 58 at a midnight screening of the new Batman sequel on Friday.
"This tragedy did not seem to impact the box office in a major way," said Paul Dergarabedian, an analyst for Hollywood.com who specializes in box office. "For this film to still be in the rarified air of the top-three openings of all time is phenomenal, given the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the release of this film."
Dergarabedian noted that the box-office ranking of director Christopher Nolan's final installment of his Batman trilogy would not be official until Warner Bros. and other studios release their final weekend box-office tallies Monday.
Anne Hathaway, who plays Catwoman in the film, became the third member of "The Dark Knight Rises" cast and crew to express her condolences after arriving home in the United States from Paris, where Warner Bros. quickly canceled a premiere Friday night.
"My heart aches and breaks for the lives taken and altered by this unfathomable senseless act," the actress said in a statement. "I am at a loss for words how to express my sorrow. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families."

lefty
07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Batman saves Gotham :

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/22625_o.gif

Darth_Pelican
07-23-2012, 10:24 AM
I guess the auto-pilot wasn't fixed in that version.

lefty
07-23-2012, 10:29 AM
:lol

MannyIsGod
07-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Lol

CubanSucks
07-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Batman saves Gotham :

I know you're excited but I think you might wanna save out for a good gif for your sig. Tbh that gif is pretty...bleh. I'm looking forward to the ones to come

:lmao

cantthinkofanything
07-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Batman saves Gotham :

I know you're excited but I think you might wanna save out for a good gif for your sig. Tbh that gif is pretty...bleh. I'm looking forward to the ones to come

for real. why don't Batman just lick his fingers and squeeze out the lit fuse?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Best gif so far is Bane going MMA on Batman's ribs at Mayweather speed, during the final fight scene

lefty
07-23-2012, 12:37 PM

I know :D

lefty
07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
http://camelbach.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/breakingthebat.gif

CubanSucks
07-23-2012, 03:34 PM
for real. why don't Batman just lick his fingers and squeeze out the lit fuse?

I wasn't talking about the bomb gif, I was talking about the gif in his sig of the final shot of the movie

CubanSucks
07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
http://images.4chan.org/b/src/1343074369048.jpg

Spurtacus
07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Bane was a fantastic villain. His voice took a bit to get use to and there were some words I couldn't make out. But Nolan/Goyer did a great job with character. I still think Ledger as the Joker was a bit better. This may change after repeated viewings.

The Batman
07-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Bane was a fantastic villain. His voice took a bit to get use to and there were some words I couldn't make out. But Nolan/Goyer did a great job with character. I still think Ledger as the Joker was a bit better. This may change after repeated viewings.
Agreed.

lefty
07-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I went to the prologue screening a few months ago, and Bane's voice was much better back then

Some deaf faggots complained, and they came up with a shitty voice over in the opening scene

" WITH NO SURVIVORS RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH GNANA !!!! "

:pctoss

But it was fine for the rest of the movie

Trainwreck2100
07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
glad they scrapped the "Talia kills lucius" idea

CuckingFunt
07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Watched it again this morning. I think I'm ready to officially call it my favorite of the trilogy, which I honestly didn't expect.

Not only that, but the way it ties back to Batman Begins has made me like that one even more than I already did. The Dark Knight, which I still fucking love, is easily #3 for me now. Which, again, I did not at all expect to be the case.

ALVAREZ6
07-23-2012, 10:43 PM
I didn't think it was that great of a movie for some reason...I don't know, it could have been me being tired at the midnight premier, but I wasn't as mesmerized as some of you. I thought it was entertaining, still a good movie. I don't know, I was more captivated by TDK.

Bane was, like the Joker in TDK, a great character. Nolan's villains are the shit, they make the movies. But I found it way too hard to understand his voice, I hate movies which require the audience to make a strong, conscious effort to understand what a character is saying, especially an important one. I want to understand every single word to fully interpret a movie, and I don't want it to be a task. And while I'm on the subject, I guess this can apply to the TDK as well but Batman's voice just seems cheesy, how he says every phrase in the same tone and rhythm.

UZER
07-23-2012, 10:48 PM
completely agree with CF....

TDK was my fav before this one, but after watching this one I had to completely re rank them TDKR, BB, TDK.

It got back to Bruce Wayne in a suit fighting crime instead of Batman fighting crime which is what nolans batman was all about. TDK was a great movie but it had a completely different vibe, not a bad thing though. But that different vibe makes the TDKR that much better.

redzero
07-23-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm torn between TDKR and TDK. I think both are way better than Begins.

scanry
07-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I agree. This is definitely my favorite movie of the trilogy. Loved the storyline in Begins. Dark Knight took off where Begins left off and Rises was the perfect ending to the trilogy.

I just wish Nolan would've started off the Superman franchise by himself rather than Zack Synder.

BTW Warner Bros have their James Cameron (20th Cen Fox) in Chris Nolan. By the end of the Rises run, Nolan will have brought $3 Billion in receipts in back to back to back movies. :wow Now that's Cameron's, Lucas's and Speilberg's territory.

DPG21920
07-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Definitely appreciated it the 2nd time around much, much more. Not much else I could say about it.

Has and heard of the theaters with "D-Box"? There is a theater in SA with it and it's supposed to be pretty sick to watch TDKR with it.

UZER
07-23-2012, 11:07 PM
I think TDK is better than BB as a stand alone movie. But in terms of the trilogy, BB and TDKR are closer together.

Also, like I said before, the different vibe of TDK was a necessary step in making TDKR ties back to the original that much better. Not really sure how to explain what I mean. :lol

scanry
07-23-2012, 11:10 PM
I didn't think it was that great of a movie for some reason...I don't know, it could have been me being tired at the midnight premier, but I wasn't as mesmerized as some of you. I thought it was entertaining, still a good movie. I don't know, I was more captivated by TDK.

No one here was mesmerized, they were satisfied to say the least with the way Nolan ended the trilogy.

ALVAREZ6
07-23-2012, 11:15 PM
No one here was mesmerized, they were satisfied to say the least with the way Nolan ended the trilogy.

Poor word choice then I guess. I haven't even seen BB so I should do that soon and follow it up with TDK, which I own.

CuckingFunt
07-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I just wish Nolan would've started off the Superman franchise by himself rather than Zack Synder.

I'm fine with Snyder. As has been said elsewhere, including in this thread and in the trailer review video, he's a better director than he is a filmmaker. Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen were all really well directed, I thought. He's got a good eye and a visual style that I think is legitimately compelling. The problem is when he tries to be an auteur. Sucker Punch was a complete mess, but it was still gorgeous to look at.

EDIT: My bad. That stuff was said in the Man of Steel thread. Forgot where I was, but the point stands.

BTW Warner Bros have their James Cameron (20th Cen Fox) in Chris Nolan. By the end of the Rises run, Nolan will have brought $3 Billion in receipts in back to back to back movies. :wow Now that's Cameron's, Lucas's and Speilberg's territory.

Which I actually think is somewhat unfortunate. I'd love to see him go back to smaller scale films again now that he's done with Batman. At least once or twice, but ideally he'd pull a Soderbergh and alternate between blockbuster and indie. Memento and Insomnia are great films precisely because they were so small and I'd love to see that type of storytelling from him again. Smaller movies might be impossible if he becomes too synonymous with spectacle.

scanry
07-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Which I actually think is somewhat unfortunate. I'd love to see him go back to smaller scale films again now that he's done with Batman. At least once or twice, but ideally he'd pull a Soderbergh and alternate between blockbuster and indie. Memento and Insomnia are great films precisely because they were so small and I'd love to see that type of storytelling from him again. Smaller movies might be impossible if he becomes too synonymous with spectacle.

Inception wasn't really that big of a movie. Out of the $160 mill budget, they only spend like $60 - $70 on the movie and the rest was all on marketing. :wow

Loved The Prestige and Memento. Insomnia was kind of slow but very well acted. As i said earlier, Nolan hasn't made a bad film yet.

MannyIsGod
07-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Absolutely loved Insomnia. Felt like that was carried by Pacino's acting more than anything, though.

Whats really awesome to me about how well he brought it back full circle is that BB was never intended to be the start of a trilogy.

shyne
07-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Loved the prestige one of my all time favorites.

T Park
07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Saw it today on IMAX and all I can cll it is brilliant. The joker character was to me hilarious in how way out psychotic he was. Bane was frightening in his not only physical superiority but mental as well.

The first fight scene with Bane, was the first time in a movie ive ever felt my breath being taken away. A combo of shocked, frightened and whatever else.

When the guy puts him in the rope harness the I guess good god moment is when he says "those vertebra poking out your back need to go back in place. "

I wish I could go to Nolan and beg for more. He could do more and they would be just as genius. Riddler and other characters are realistic! Hell Penguin is an arms dealer. It can be worked in!

Come on Nolan. More please.