PDA

View Full Version : Tell my boss I can take on more work?

GoodOdor
07-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Good folks of ST, I need some work related advice.

I've been at my job for 7 months now(I'm an accountant), and I feel like there are periods where I pretty much got very little to do.

Do I bring this up with my boss? my main concern is that it will seem like I've been slacking off this whole time.

VBM
07-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Nope.

GoodOdor
07-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Nope.

Why not?

cantthinkofanything
07-22-2012, 01:34 AM
You know why not. You got the right answer. So leave it be.

Udokafan05
07-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Yes, shows initiative

The Reckoning
07-22-2012, 05:17 AM
dont say you can take on more work...just ask if there are any major projects planned that they might need help with.

TDMVPDPOY
07-22-2012, 06:28 AM
u good at sucking dick?

have u thought about taking on extra jobs outside of the workplace? like doing tax returns or bookkeeping for a few businesses that doesnt take up most of ur free time?

VBM
07-22-2012, 08:01 AM
dont say you can take on more work...just ask if there are any major projects planned that they might need help with.

Yeah, this is a better way of going about it. You won't get overloaded but still get the whole initiative message out there.

resistanze
07-22-2012, 08:49 AM

This is the safe bet.

It depends on the relationship you have with your boss. I've been at my place for about a year and he has an open door policy to discuss anything. So I could explicitly ask for more projects without the fear of my boss dumping shit on me.

Your boss shouldn't think you were slacking off, that'd be a weird conclusion to draw. It should be clear that you were getting accustomed to your role at the company and now feel ready to take on more tasks. Make this point just in case.

GoodOdor
07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the reply guys.

A little more info:

The reason I feel I can take on more duties during a certain time period every month is because of the accounting cycle.

Basically, towards the end of the month and up until the 15th or so, we do the month end close, and that's a very busy time period. But once it's done, I really only have a few daily duties that I feel leave me with not too much to do.

Another reason that I'm worried is that I find myself browsing spurstalk/web surfing, and I'd rather that not became a habit(even though I never miss deadlines and my boss seems very happy about my work).

ashbeeigh
07-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Do any of your other co-workers feel the same? Did you come from another job that was very fast paced or is this your first job out of college? A lot of the girls that come from CPS to where where I work now find that they have little to due in comparison to the time they were at CPS..because they were overworked.

I like the idea of asking about other projects, though. I have done that and feel as though it gets noticed as well.

GoodOdor
07-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Do any of your other co-workers feel the same? Did you come from another job that was very fast paced or is this your first job out of college? A lot of the girls that come from CPS to where where I work now find that they have little to due in comparison to the time they were at CPS..because they were overworked.

I like the idea of asking about other projects, though. I have done that and feel as though it gets noticed as well.

This is my second full-time job.

The weird thing is that I've never said no to any duties my co-workers asked me if they could delegate to me.....in fact, I will ask "hey, did you do this yet? no? would you like me to do it?"

One of my co-workers is out right now because she had a kidney transplant....when we were going over who will be taking over what duties while she was gone, another co-worker was complaining about a certain task, so I said I'll do it - the coworker who was leaving wouldn't let me because I already had too much to do.

This makes me think that my coworkers think I got enough to do......

DMC
07-22-2012, 11:38 AM
1st, make sure the work you do is flawless before you ask to take on more.

After that, just mention to him you have some time slots during the day to help if it's needed. That makes it sound like you've managed your time, not that you're under worked.

rascal
07-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all the reply guys.

A little more info:

The reason I feel I can take on more duties during a certain time period every month is because of the accounting cycle.

Basically, towards the end of the month and up until the 15th or so, we do the month end close, and that's a very busy time period. But once it's done, I really only have a few daily duties that I feel leave me with not too much to do.

Another reason that I'm worried is that I find myself browsing spurstalk/web surfing, and I'd rather that not became a habit(even though I never miss deadlines and my boss seems very happy about my work).

Don't worry about it. Continue what you are doing if your boss is happy with your work. Your boss knows your workload and is OK with it, so you should be to.

spursfan09
07-22-2012, 12:04 PM
7 mos. doesn't seem too long. Maybe they want to handle the work you do have well before gradually giving you more work. That's what it seemed like to me. I used to have free time after I finished closing the month but now I am lucky to have some free time to do anything outside my normal duties. Also you could do some forensic accounting and try to find something out of the ordinary. Or look into internal processes that need to be reviewed.

rascal
07-22-2012, 12:07 PM
You are in a good position so enjoy it. Most people have too much work dumped on them and pressure from the boss riding them to do more.

TDMVPDPOY
07-22-2012, 01:15 PM
you are under employed...try askin for admin duties or someshit....