PDA

View Full Version : Dress Code / Professional code at work?

Glenn Holland
07-22-2012, 10:55 PM
WTF Happened to offices in this society? Why are so many people dressing down and looking and acting like trash in todays age? I see so many guys and girls dressing down for their jobs and it is just unprofessional. If you work at an office, under no circumstances should sneakers, jeans, flip flops, or t shirts be worn. It is just unprofessional.

Reck
07-22-2012, 11:07 PM
And where are you seeing this?

All the offices I've worked at have a dress code that you must follow, no exceptions.

They dont even have that casual friday bullshit where I work.

tlongII
07-22-2012, 11:53 PM
I wear shorts and t-shirts all the time at the office.

Wild Cobra
07-23-2012, 03:03 AM
Do you mean the office of a McDonalds, or what?

mavs>spurs
07-23-2012, 03:16 AM
never seen or heard of jeans and tshirts at the office

JudynTX
07-23-2012, 08:33 AM
WTF Happened to offices in this society? Why are so many people dressing down and looking and acting like trash in todays age? I see so many guys and girls dressing down for their jobs and it is just unprofessional. If you work at an office, under no circumstances should sneakers, jeans, flip flops, or t shirts be worn. It is just unprofessional.

Do you have Hawaiian Shirt Fridays?

cantthinkofanything
07-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Hi, Hawaii, what did Delaware to the ball? A New Jersey?
I don't know but Alaska.

JoeChalupa
07-23-2012, 08:55 AM
We have casual dress at work and "shorts days" on Fridays and I love it. Company found that it helped improve employee moral I guess.

DeadlyDynasty
07-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi, Hawaii, what did Delaware to the ball? A New Jersey?
I don't know but Alaska.

1ytCEuuW2_A

Sportcamper
07-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Men’s Wear-house tailored shorts, sport shirt & snappy belt…Rode my bike to work today…No dress code unless meeting with clients…

ashbeeigh
07-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Depending on the environment dressing down may be appropriate. When I was a case manager and a community organizer jeans and a professional t-shirt were the norm. It's all about who/what you're working for. As a case manager dressing down was appropriate because it was kind of a sense of intimidation if you went into someone's house dressed in a 3 piece suite. Same type of thing when I was an organizer. That's not to say I haven't dressed professionally in an office before. Where I am now if your shoe doesn't have a back or even a slight heel you're given dirty looks and the HR person will confront you. Even though it's another community organization, we have donors and the media in and out all the time and want to make sure we're not all sloppy. On Fridays we can wear a logo shirt with jeans. Otherwise, no way.

tlongII
07-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm a systems analyst for a large corporation. However, I usually wear jeans in the winter and shorts in the summer. I work better when I'm comfortable.

Sportcamper
07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I wear shorts and t-shirts all the time at the office.
To be fair…I don’t think they even sell men’s suits in Portland…Mostly tie dyed t-shirts, Birkenstocks & Go Ducks paraphernalia….:smokin

cantthinkofanything
07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
They say to dress for the job you want to have.
My life long dream is to be a thong model. But it's made it difficult to keep any jobs in the mean time.

DisAsTerBot
07-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Depending on the environment dressing down may be appropriate. When I was a case manager and a community organizer jeans and a professional t-shirt were the norm.

:rollin this is some bs. There is no such thing as a professional t-shirt, especially for men. That's my main gripe with office dress codes, women have "blouses" which are just t-shirts, wear skirts and open toed "shoes". But men can't wear t-shirts, wear shorts (cause it's 100 degrees out) and obviously can't wear open-toed shoes. BS

G.Q.
07-23-2012, 11:02 AM
:rollin this is some bs. There is no such thing as a professional t-shirt, especially for men. That's my main gripe with office dress codes, women have "blouses" which are just t-shirts, wear skirts and open toed "shoes". But men can't wear t-shirts, wear shorts (cause it's 100 degrees out) and obviously can't wear open-toed shoes. BS

http://www.covertcandy.co.uk/covertblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/don_johnson_miami_vice0.jpg

G.Q.
07-23-2012, 11:03 AM
http://mynexthandbag.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/judelaw_fashion.jpg

DisAsTerBot
07-23-2012, 12:08 PM
yep, that's a t-shirt

because it's one color it's professional? :rollin

AFBlue
07-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I think your definition of unprofessional is outdated. I work for a bank, but the area I support is largely not customer-facing so the dress code is relaxed. I have no issue with people who want to be comfortable while they work. I actually have a bigger problem those who think that club clothes are professional enough to wear to work. Tight-fitting shirts/blouses are much more of a distraction to the workforce than a t-shirt.

Having said that, there is certainly a bias based on what one wears (e.g. dress for the job you want, not the one you have), so it's best to be more conservative if you want upward mobility.

CubanMustGo
07-23-2012, 02:05 PM
I think your definition of unprofessional is outdated. I work for a bank, but the area I support is largely not customer-facing so the dress code is relaxed. I have no issue with people who want to be comfortable while they work. I actually have a bigger problem those who think that club clothes are professional enough to wear to work. Tight-fitting shirts/blouses are much more of a distraction to the workforce than a t-shirt.

Having said that, there is certainly a bias based on what one wears (e.g. dress for the job you want, not the one you have), so it's best to be more conservative if you want upward mobility.

Agree. I work for a large IT firm that basically could care less. People wear shorts, some wear t-shirts, others wear slacks and dress shirts, a very few will wear sport jackets. If my director or SVP come into town I will "dress up" but even they don't wear suits unless it's a special occasion.

Wearing a suit or a tie to the office usually gets a response like "going to a funeral" or "got an interview, eh?"

DMC
07-23-2012, 05:29 PM
http://tacobell.barcouniforms.com/tb/images/UFPC/tb_main.jpeg