PDA

View Full Version : Penn State sanctions coming tomorrow

DesignatedT
07-22-2012, 11:01 PM
We'll see tomorrow what the penalty handed down is but there is a rumor going around that some of the penalties have leaked:

Penn St sanctions - from CBS news leak

1) SUSPENSION OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS FOR ONE YEAR

2) NO TELEVISION TIL 2015

3) BOWL BAN TIL 2015

4) NO FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2013

5) ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ON ROSTER ALLOWED TO TRANSFER WITH NO PENALTY

6) NCAA CLEARINGHOUSE TO EXPEDITE AND ADMINISTER ALL TRANSFERS

7) SPECIAL NCAA DISPENSATION THAT PENN ST FOOTBALL PLAYERS WHO TRANSFER, WILL NOT COUNT AGAINST SCHOLARSHIP LIMIT FOR GAINING SCHOOL

8) LOSS OF 8 SCHOLARSHIPS PER YEAR BEGINNING IN 2014 AND CONTINUING FOR 5 YEARS TO 2020.

9) BEGINNING IN 2014, OPTION TO DROP DOWN TO DIV 1AA WITH NO PENALTY, AND THE RIGHT TO RETURN TO DIV 1A AFTER 2020.

10) WINS AND RECORDS BACK TO 1998 WILL BE VACATED

Take it fwiw but this would be pretty crazy if true.

https://twitter.com/HubbuchNYP/status/227222282349719552/photo/1/large

I guess well see tomorrow.

DesignatedT
07-22-2012, 11:01 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-07-22/penn-state-sanctions-to-come-tomorrow-as-paterno-statue-removed

TE
07-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Damn, they're laying the hammer down.

I like it, if true of course.

The Reckoning
07-23-2012, 12:56 AM
damn thats the new age death penalty right thurr

FromWayDowntown
07-23-2012, 08:23 AM
The death penalty wouldn't have been as harsh.

ginobili's bald spot
07-23-2012, 08:29 AM
RIP Pedo State football. Scumbags.

jeebus
07-23-2012, 08:48 AM
:lmao 175 game losing streak

Venti Quattro
07-23-2012, 08:55 AM
The NCAA said the $60 million was equivalent to the average annual revenue of the football program. The NCAA ordered Penn State to pay the penalty funds into an endowment for "external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university."

:lmao :lmao :lmao

lebomb
07-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Damn............... Penitentiary State U will suck for the next 10-15yrs.

FromWayDowntown
07-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Damn............... Penitentiary State U will suck for the next 10-15yrs.

If they're lucky.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-23-2012, 09:45 AM
:lol Jim O'Brien
:lol leaving the Patriots for this job
:lol woulda gotten a head coaching job in the NFL if he was patient
:lol pretending he saw this coming
:lol about to lose his entire recruiting class

benefactor
07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Still wish they would have made them cancel the season.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Still wish they would have made them cancel the season.I posted that it was too late for that. The schools they were scheduled to play stood to lose too much money with no way to recoup it.

benefactor
07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Ahh...ok. Next season would be fine.

baseline bum
07-23-2012, 12:34 PM
LOL $60 million. Penn State did it for the kids. :cry

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-23-2012, 12:40 PM
What they got is worse than the death penalty in some ways, they have a 6-8 year rebuilding project ahead of them and that's their best case scenario. The more likely scenario is their program never rebounding.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Ahh...ok. Next season would be fine.That's the only way I could see it happening, but that would open a whole new box of worms.

Well, kids are important, but everyone has to make money before we address that.

jack sommerset
07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
This school is done. God bless

coyotes_geek
07-23-2012, 01:05 PM
It's a rarity, but I actually think the NCAA got this one right.

jack sommerset
07-23-2012, 01:12 PM

I agree. The school covered up rape of kids. They need to change the name of that school and start over. God bless

jack sommerset
07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Those players on current football team should transfer if they can. Seriously, you cannot rally the troops when raping kids is why they got the sanctions in the first place. There is nothing to be proud of. God bless

Blake
07-23-2012, 01:55 PM

I don't think they should have handed out any sanctions at all, but if they are going to, then hit him then with a death penalty for at least 4 years.

Penn St will still be playing on Saturday. In the Big 10. Charging full price for admission.

not sure how anyone can say this is worse than the death penalty.

The Gemini Method
07-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure you'll ever see Penn St. back to the so-called elite program status it had erroneously earned under the watch of Joe Paterno. This is, in essence, a death penalty for the once-storied program. Can't blame the NCAA--this is a infinitely times worse than what the Buckeyes or Trojans did. Sucks for the kids who are playing for the team--but they are able to transfer to any college, so there's that option. It's just they have to put in the effort to do.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2012, 05:04 PM
You know what?

Fuck the NCAA. In their eyes, $61,000 in player payments is a greater crime than covering up child rape.

Vito Corleone
07-23-2012, 05:50 PM
You know what?

Fuck the NCAA. In their eyes, $61,000 in player payments is a greater crime than covering up child rape.

Not sure you can say that when they have just given out the biggest hammer drop since they gave SMU the death penalty. Keep in mind the death penalty was overkill and SMU never should have got it. This is not the death penalty but it is just as tough, it's going to take Penn State 10 to 15 years to come back from this. Couple that with what the B1G is doing, what the Justice system is doing, and what public opinion is doing and they may never come back.

I'd say that Karma is a bitch

The Gemini Method
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Not sure you can say that when they have just given out the biggest hammer drop since they gave SMU the death penalty. Keep in mind the death penalty was overkill and SMU never should have got it. This is not the death penalty but it is just as tough, it's going to take Penn State 10 to 15 years to come back from this. Couple that with what the B1G is doing, what the Justice system is doing, and what public opinion is doing and they may never come back.

I'd say that Karma is a bitch

This.

With the FBS moving towards a playoff system and possible superconferences; this whole thing will cripple the Penn St. program for a decade plus. Maybe then people will start to forget a little but I highly doubt it. Nowadays, it is all about exposure. The recruiting of players is heavily reliant on public perception of your program more so than when the Twitter/Facebook/Internet Age. This travesty will defintely have an effect on that.

Clipper Nation
07-23-2012, 06:35 PM
You know what?

Actually, after thinking it over, this is WORSE than what SMU got.... Penn State has to trot out a putrid shell of a team and get whooped weekly probably for the rest of their existence, tbh....

Edward
07-23-2012, 06:45 PM
The thing with SMU is they got the death penalty after countless previous sanctions, and in these situations repeat offenders always get dealt with more punitively. You can bet that if Penn State lets an assistant coach turn the locker into a sex dungeon again, they'll get the death penalty :lol

Blake
07-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Actually, after thinking it over, this is WORSE than what SMU got.... Penn State has to trot out a putrid shell of a team and get whooped weekly probably for the rest of their existence, tbh....

at least Penn St still gets to trot out a team and share Big 10 money.

What if this whole Sandusky incident happened at a shitty football school like Vanderbilt? Would they be given the same punishment?

If so, then how exactly would such a punishment dissaude future criminal cover-ups for schools that never win much any way?

bluebellmaniac
07-23-2012, 07:20 PM

Big 10 won't be sharing any money for the next 4 yrs...

Clipper Nation
07-23-2012, 07:25 PM

They have to donate their share of the B1G money to charity, B.....

Blake
07-23-2012, 07:29 PM
They have to donate their share of the B1G money to charity, B.....

K, I see they have to give up B1G bowl money on top of the $60 million.

I don't see anything about giving up their share of TV money.

In fact, I don't see anything about not being allowed on TV, the way they did U Houston in the 90s.

vander
07-23-2012, 07:32 PM
don't quite get the "wins and records being vacated" part

Sandusky having sex with kids = cheating? unfair competitive advantage?

Blake
07-23-2012, 07:34 PM

you could ask that question about any of the penalties the NCAA handed down.

vander
07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
you could ask that question about any of the penalties the NCAA handed down.

most of the sanctions give current and future kids the chance to go elsewhere, and are just punishing Penn State.

that one "takes away" what former players accomplished

Clipper Nation
07-23-2012, 07:41 PM
In fact, I don't see anything about not being allowed on TV, the way they did U Houston in the 90s.
I'm pretty sure the NCAA doesn't give those out anymore because it's unfair to the opponents....

Sandusky's acts didn't constitute an unfair advantage, but the coverup certainly did.... they were able to get top recruits for over a decade by selling a lie to them and covering for Sandusky.... that means more wins they otherwise wouldn't likely have won, tbh....

Also, vacating wins also further symbolizes that JoePa's legacy was nothing but bullshit that isn't worthy of celebration, tbh.....

Blake
07-23-2012, 07:42 PM
most of the sanctions give current and future kids the chance to go elsewhere, and are just punishing Penn State.

that one "takes away" what former players accomplished

It takes away from what Paterno accomplished. The rest is the usual collateral damage.

Blake
07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the NCAA doesn't give those out anymore because it's unfair to the opponents....

just another reason why this is not worse than the death penalty.

vander
07-23-2012, 07:47 PM

Sandusky's acts didn't constitute an unfair advantage, but the coverup certainly did.... they were able to get top recruits for over a decade by selling a lie to them and covering for Sandusky.... that means more wins they otherwise wouldn't likely have won, tbh....

Also, vacating wins also further symbolizes that JoePa's legacy was nothing but bullshit that isn't worthy of celebration, tbh.....

really? you really think covering for Sandusky made the football team better?

Clipper Nation
07-23-2012, 07:49 PM

Yes, actually.... no way would top recruits have ever picked Penn State if they were told about Sandusky.... better recruits means more wins, more wins means more bowl games, more bowl games mean more $$$, more $$$ means better recruits....

Reck
07-23-2012, 08:34 PM
It is pretty safe to say they'll never recover from this.

Better to shut it all down imo.

NFO
07-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Well it is a half truth. If Sandusky was busted in 2001 when McQuerry first walked in oh him and had all of this negative attention it might have affected recruiting.

I guess we'll never know if it would have affected the recruiting for them since the powers that be at PSU decided to turn their heads instead of delaying the inevitable.

ALVAREZ6
07-24-2012, 08:44 PM
This is basically how I feel about the whole thing:

ujd8Lr-n6WU
(start at 2:40, it's kind of long but he makes many great points)

and Barry Switzer's opinion:

http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/nfl/barry-switzer-punishing-the-wrong-29728/

PSU deserves to be punished, but that's why we have a court system. The biggest concern for me is that they're penalizing everyone except those at fault in this whole scandal.

Sandusky
Spanier
Curley
Schultz
Paterno

Those 5 men are the entire scandal, and they're unaffected by the NCAA's sanctions. Paterno is dead, Sandusky is locked for 400 years/life, the others are on their way in the legal system. The penalties are affecting tons of Penn State athletes, none of which had a single thing to do with this entire thing. Not even just PSU football players, it affects the whole athletic department. Athletes in other sports can lose scholarships and funding for their whole programs. Centre County, where PSU is, is the poorest in the state and this will probably affect the local economy.

It just doesn't make sense to me. The university should give a lot of money to the Sandusky victims, but I don't get the point in ruining an entire athletic department and football program that brings tons of money to the area and state. If you were a rising junior or senior playing football at PSU, your chances of making a living off your football talent could have just been taken away. Transfer to another school, have fun starting from scratch, learning a new play book, playing from behind in the pecking order, while your last season wastes away and you don't get drafted and end up having a career. Over something that no football players were a part of.

ALVAREZ6
07-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Found this interesting on wikipedia, about Sandusky:

His classmates have described him as a studious "loner" who "never dated in high school" but was a popular and handsome athlete.

And I can't decide who I think is more fucked up, Sandusky or his wife who supported her husband who is clearly a child rapist, even while their adopted son claimed to have been molested by Sandusky. LMAO, how is one ok with their spouse cheating...tons of times...with children of the same sex? That's about as fucked up as it gets.

Clipper Nation
07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
PSU deserves to be punished, but that's why we have a court system.
If this were just a criminal issue, that didn't involve a department-wide cover-up of over a decade to protect the football program's reputation and keep the recruits, wins and money rolling in, I'd agree with you.... but since it's both a criminal AND football issue, the NCAA had to step in on the football side of things, tbh.... understand that they couldn't just sit there and do nothing about Penn State and then hammer Miami for lesser violations, B....

ALVAREZ6
07-24-2012, 10:18 PM
I could care less about the Paterno and PSU wins, but I don't agree with punishing many athletes, from all sports, for something they had no control or knowledge of while it occurred. Courts could hammer the university without destroying the football program. The NCAA took this opportunity to appear powerful, relevant, and act like they're actually doing something to change the culture of college football. They probably helped to create college football into what it is.

ALVAREZ6
07-24-2012, 10:27 PM
The NCAA takes away tons of scholarships, there goes free educations for a lot of athletes..especially at a school where football players have very high graduation rates relative to the national averages, from similar large football schools. Some players can choose to transfer, but the other universities don't have more scholarships to offer them. They're effectively fucking over a bunch of student athletes. Meanwhile, the real culprits are untouched by this.

ALVAREZ6
07-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm just bothered with who is giving these penalties, Mark Emmert, summarized below by the guy in the youtube video I posted:

Take a step back from the hysteria and just think about what took place: Penn State committed no violations of any NCAA bylaws. There were no secret payments to “student-athletes,” no cheating on tests, no improper phone calls, no using cream cheese instead of butter on a recruit’s bagel, or any of the Byzantine minutiae that fills the time-sheets that justify Mark Emmert’s $1.6 million salary.

What Penn State did was commit horrific violations of criminal and civil laws, and it should pay every possible price for shielding Sandusky, the child rapist. This is why we have a society with civil and criminal courts. Instead, we have Mark Emmert inserting himself in a criminal matter and acting as judge, jury and executioner, in the style of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. As much as I can’t stand Goodell’s authoritarian, undemocratic methods, the NFL is a private corporation and his method of punishment was collectively bargained with the NFL Players Association. Emmert, heading up the so-called nonprofit NCAA, is intervening with his own personal judgment and cutting the budget of a public university. He has no right, and every school under the auspices of the NCAA should be terrified that he believes he does.

Speaking anonymously to ESPN, a former prominent NCAA official said, “This is unique and this kind of power has never been tested or tried. It’s unprecedented to have this extensive power. This has nothing to do with the purpose of the infractions process. Nevertheless, somehow [the NCAA president and executive board] have taken it on themselves to be a commissioner and to penalize a school for improper conduct.”
and who the spotlight is on:

The discussion we should be having is how to organize the outrage of the Penn State campus and the people of Pennsylvania to expel the entire Board of Trustees. Just as the statue of Coach Paterno came tumbling down in the name of turning the page at Penn State, the board should follow. We should be talking about how to push for a full investigation of Governor Tom Corbett and his own extra-slow-motion investigation of Sandusky when he was the state’s attorney general. Former Governor Ed Rendell, as a board trustee during Sandusky’s continued presence on campus, should be subpoenaed as well. But instead, we get the maiming of Penn State’s athletic budget for the grand purpose of turning Mark Emmert and the NCAA into something they have no legal right to be. Private, unaccountable actors have no business cutting the budgets of a public campus. Today’s move by Emmert didn’t bring justice to any of Sandusky’s victims. It didn’t help clean house at Penn State. Instead it was extra-legal, extrajudicial and stinks to high heaven.
Paterno is dead. Sandusky is fucked. But the popular thing to do is rag on everything Penn State Football. No one is talking about Tom Corbett and the Board of Trustees...most of whom all have their positions.

Sure, donate millions of the fines to child abuse awareness, but they should give a lot of that fine $$$ to the Sandusky victims. Obviously, that's the job of the courts, I just don't know why the NCAA has all this power. They can basically do w/e the fuck they want.

ALVAREZ6
07-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Anyway...it's safe to say I graduated at the right time :lol.

DMX7
07-24-2012, 11:01 PM
If SMU didn't deserve the death penalty, then no point in even having it.

Blake
07-25-2012, 10:55 AM
If this were just a criminal issue, that didn't involve a department-wide cover-up of over a decade to protect the football program's reputation and keep the recruits, wins and money rolling in, I'd agree with you.... but since it's both a criminal AND football issue, the NCAA had to step in on the football side of things, tbh.... understand that they couldn't just sit there and do nothing about Penn State and then hammer Miami for lesser violations, B....

So you think covering up a criminal action to indirectly keep recruits coming in is a bigger infraction than a Miami booster directly giving money/gifts to recruits?

Edward
07-25-2012, 10:58 AM
So you think covering up a criminal action to indirectly keep recruits coming in is a bigger infraction than a Miami booster directly giving money/gifts to recruits?
Yes.

Giving recruits money/gifts is a victimless offense. No one got hurt by what Miami did. Penn State's actions led to children being molested.

Blake
07-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Yes.

Giving recruits money/gifts is a victimless offense. No one got hurt by what Miami did. Penn State's actions led to children being molested.

in the grand scheme of things, of course.

question still is what jurisdiction does/should the NCAA have regarding criminal offenses that had nothing directly to do with anything on the field?

ChumpDumper
07-25-2012, 02:01 PM

question still is what jurisdiction does/should the NCAA have regarding criminal offenses that had nothing directly to do with anything on the field?One can pretty easily argue that the coverup gave Penn State decided on-field advantages -- e.g., they were able to retain the services of a top assistant coach, recruiting didn't take a likely hit, etc. That's the same kind of influence direct player payments can have.

Vito Corleone
07-25-2012, 02:33 PM

question still is what jurisdiction does/should the NCAA have regarding criminal offenses that had nothing directly to do with anything on the field?

The answer is simple, the NCAA has no power over any institution that isn't given to them by said institution. There is nothing that says the NCAA can do what they did, however, the alternative is for the NCAA to kick Penn State out of the NCAA, which would likely get them kicked out of the B1G, so to answer the question. The power of the NCAA is implied and given through the presidents. Think of it as a membership with rights and responsibilities.

Blake
07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
One can pretty easily argue that the coverup gave Penn State decided on-field advantages -- e.g., they were able to retain the services of a top assistant coach, recruiting didn't take a likely hit, etc. That's the same kind of influence direct player payments can have.

It's too hard to put an exact amount of advantage to be gained by a cover up, imo Especially since Penn St was ranked #15 in recruiting this year up until the NCAA ruling.

but honestly, if the NCAA came out and said a punishment is deserved for the recruiting advantage gained from the cover-up, I'd be fine with that logic.

But it seems clear to me that the ”worse than death” penalty is about the crime of covering up a horrible crime.

Edward
07-25-2012, 03:32 PM
It's too hard to put an exact amount of advantage to be gained by a cover up
Which is why teams that get caught in cover ups are punished punitively. If all Penn State had to lose by coving the scandal up was the advantage they got by covering it up, there'd be no incentive to not cover it up.

When a college student cheats on a test and gets caught, the teacher doesn't try to figure out the precise point total the student gained by cheating, the teacher gives the student a 0 on the entire test. The same logic applies here.

coyotes_geek
07-25-2012, 03:52 PM
The penalty is really about deterrence and avoiding lawsuits, TBH.

Blake
07-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Which is why teams that get caught in cover ups are punished punitively. If all Penn State had to lose by coving the scandal up was the advantage they got by covering it up, there'd be no incentive to not cover it up.

The difference here, again, is the cover up of a crime vs the cover up of an infraction.

Society as a whole has the responsibly to punitively hit criminals. The NCAA's purpose is to make sure the playing field is even.

Is covering up a crime an NCAA infraction? No, imo.

When a college student cheats on a test and gets caught, the teacher doesn't try to figure out the precise point total the student gained by cheating, the teacher gives the student a 0 on the entire test. The same logic applies here.

it's not about the 0. It's about deciding the number of days of detention, suspension or expulsion.

JoeTait75
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
The penalty is really about deterrence and avoiding lawsuits, TBH.

And protecting what remains of the NCAA's legitimacy in the eyes of the public. There's no way Penn State could skate by with no penalty while other schools get nailed because some assistant coach bought some recruit dinner at Applebee's or whatever. The penalty was a sop to public opinion, imo.

ChumpDumper
07-25-2012, 04:57 PM
It's too hard to put an exact amount of advantage to be gained by a cover up, imo Especially since Penn St was ranked #15 in recruiting this year up until the NCAA ruling.

but honestly, if the NCAA came out and said a punishment is deserved for the recruiting advantage gained from the cover-up, I'd be fine with that logic.

But it seems clear to me that the ”worse than death” penalty is about the crime of covering up a horrible crime.Could be both; I didn't read the statement.

And it's not really worse than the death penalty IMO. It's more expedient for everyone involved and gives the NCAA a better chance to soak up money from the program. You can say PSU football is going to suck for years to come, but it's going to be generating revenue all that time.

Blake
07-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Could be both; I didn't read the statement.

And it's not really worse than the death penalty IMO. It's more expedient for everyone involved and gives the NCAA a better chance to soak up money from the program. You can say PSU football is going to suck for years to come, but it's going to be generating revenue all that time.

I don't think it's worse than death either. ”worse than death” has been the popular phrase so I just borrowed it.

ChumpDumper
07-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't think it's worse than death either. ”worse than death” has been the popular phrase so I just borrowed it.Right, and the statement itself says nothing about competitive advantage. It just basically says that people in charge should be good guys and these guys weren't. I suppose what I pointed out was the reason they weren't good guys but that's another story, I guess.

Blake
07-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Right, and the statement itself says nothing about competitive advantage. It just basically says that people in charge should be good guys and these guys weren't. I suppose what I pointed out was the reason they weren't good guys but that's another story, I guess.

I did note that Emmert stated precedence was set in South Carolina for the racist flag issues...

Even then, I still don't see why the NCAA has any business punishing the football team.

Blake
07-25-2012, 05:17 PM
And why did they stop with football?

If this was an institutional control issue, why not punish the entire sports program?

ChumpDumper
07-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I did note that Emmert stated precedence was set in South Carolina for the racist flag issues...

Even then, I still don't see why the NCAA has any business punishing the football team.Well, they're using these articles of their bylaws in the explanation:

4.1.2 Duties and responsibilities. The Executive Committee shall:...
(d) Identify core issues that affect the Association as a whole;
(e) Act on behalf of the Association by adopting and implementing policies to resolve core issues and other
Association-wide matters;

And why did they stop with football?

If this was an institutional control issue, why not punish the entire sports program?By taking away money from football, they are punishing the entire sports program. Who knows what would be done were it a different sport that didn't largely provide funds for the others.

Blake
07-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I know what they are basing their ruling on. I think it's murky at best.

Even the new commissioner of the big 12 seems to think that.

of course since penn state bent over and took the plea bargain I guess it's a moot point

ChumpDumper
07-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I know what they are basing their ruling on. I think it's murky at best.

Even the new commissioner of the big 12 seems to think that.The one that took also money from PSU and barred them from championship games?

Upon what did he base his ruling?

of course since penn state bent over and took the plea bargain I guess it's a moot pointWell, there's plenty of precedent.

ALVAREZ6
07-25-2012, 07:26 PM
I don't get why Spanier and Curley didn't investigate the whole thing as soon as they heard about it, or early on after hearing about the rumors. There wouldn't really be significant negative consequences, and both would still have their jobs and wouldn't be part of the villains. If they uncovered everything quickly it wouldn't have affected PSU very much, mainly just Sandusky.

No?

Doesn't make sense to me.

JoeTait75
07-26-2012, 08:28 AM
I don't get why Spanier and Curley didn't investigate the whole thing as soon as they heard about it, or early on after hearing about the rumors. There wouldn't really be significant negative consequences, and both would still have their jobs and wouldn't be part of the villains. If they uncovered everything quickly it wouldn't have affected PSU very much, mainly just Sandusky.

No?

Doesn't make sense to me.

My take is that Paterno didn't think he could have survived that kind of revelation at that point in time when Penn State was struggling on the field and there was some pressure to ease him out of the HC position anyway. Paterno was like Bear Bryant- he didn't think he could live without coaching (and as it turned out he was right.)

Blake
07-26-2012, 08:44 AM
The one that took also money from PSU and barred them from championship games?

Upon what did he base his ruling?

Dunno. the actual punishment itself looks like some arbitrary figures they pulled out of their asses.

I wonder if the death penalty was issued if they would have tacked on a punitive fine of $60 million as well.

ALVAREZ6
07-26-2012, 09:44 AM
My take is that Paterno didn't think he could have survived that kind of revelation at that point in time when Penn State was struggling on the field and there was some pressure to ease him out of the HC position anyway. Paterno was like Bear Bryant- he didn't think he could live without coaching (and as it turned out he was right.)

Yeah good point.

ALVAREZ6
07-26-2012, 10:14 PM
And I can't decide who I think is more fucked up, Sandusky or his wife who supported her husband who is clearly a child rapist, even while their adopted son claimed to have been molested by Sandusky. LMAO, how is one ok with their spouse cheating...tons of times...with children of the same sex? That's about as fucked up as it gets.

:wow:wow:wow

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8204289/jerry-sandusky-not-say-wife-says

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- The wife of convicted child molester Jerry Sandusky says she still loves him and "he's not who they say he is."

Dottie Sandusky made the comments Thursday to a Centre Daily Times reporter during a brief encounter on a street in Bellefonte, Pa., near Penn State, where her husband was an assistant football coach under Joe Paterno.

Jerry Sandusky was found guilty of sexually abusing 10 boys. He's behind bars awaiting sentencing.

Dottie Sandusky testified at his trial she never saw him do anything inappropriate with boys he took to their home. She says she's known him for more than 40 years.

This bitch is insane. She belongs in a mental institution.

AussieFanKurt
07-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Is 60mil the only penalty?