PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming's Terrifying new math

InRareForm
07-23-2012, 12:11 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-20120719

MannyIsGod
07-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Popular journalism regarding AGW is usually not too good. This article has some good info on it and some poor associations. I get that a journalist's best method to connect his audience to his story is to invoke current weather but the weather events themselves do not indicate global warming but the statistical anomaly of so many extreme events does. Thats an important distinction that almost no one outside of the field (or statistical analysis) seems to get very well.

MannyIsGod
07-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Also the title is shitty. I doubt anyone is losing sleep over really bad crop yields. I don't disagree that crop losses and agriculture changes are some of the biggest if not THE biggest problems to be faced regarding AGW but the idea that its "terrifying" is just ridiculous. Its shitty hyperbole that does more harm than good.

Wild Cobra
07-23-2012, 02:42 AM
The Rolling Stone magazine sure has lost integrity over the years. It doesn't surprise my that the hype tripe.

Borat Sagyidev
07-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Also the title is shitty. I doubt anyone is losing sleep over really bad crop yields. I don't disagree that crop losses and agriculture changes are some of the biggest if not THE biggest problems to be faced regarding AGW but the idea that its "terrifying" is just ridiculous. Its shitty hyperbole that does more harm than good.

It's not terrifying but there isn't much else to resort to. It's quite simpler to know the direction the climate is heading...but that doesn't grab public attention.

You have complete narcissistic fools like WC making up new ways to violate conservation of Energy to top it off. If it ain't flashy, the public doesn't read it.

Consumerism is the way to get into the American public view. It's been done with gas prices already.

DarrinS
07-23-2012, 04:26 PM
If you look at who wrote the article, you can breathe a sigh of relief -- it's just sci-fi.