PDA

View Full Version : Rumor alert

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
I've just got word that the spurs ARE NOT bringing anyone else in. They plan on keeping the roster at 14. Not even bringing in any summer league guys.

Stabula
07-23-2012, 12:42 PM
That sucks.

MarCowMar
07-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Having a roster spot open is not such a bad thing. Never know who will become available.

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
They want to carry 14 until playoffs

Stabula
07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Pop is standing pat hoping for a break out year from Bonner.

Duncan2177
07-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Fart

Interrohater
07-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Wow. They must be looking at a trade or something.
De Colo
Diaw
Splitter
Timmy
Manu
Tony
Mills
Kawhi
Green
Bonner
Blair
Neal
CoJo?
Anderson?
Denmon?
Those last three are listed on the Spurs website as being on the 2012-2013 roster
http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/2012

I guess the odd man out would have to be Anderson, if they truly are keeping 14. Interesting

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Nope no denmon next season either.

Interrohater
07-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Well if no Denmon and no Anderson, that's only 13. Is there someone I'm missing?

Wait a second.... I just saw Byars on the roster... wtf?

Stabula
07-23-2012, 12:57 PM
I'd take Joseph over Denmon anyday

RodNIc91
07-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Well, that sucks. Bonner makes me want to cut myself

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 01:08 PM
I heard byars is still on there, quick means no more bigs. Spurs could always change their mind, but that's where they stand right now

DeadlyDynasty
07-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Spurs will definitely make some more moves at some point. They know that roster isn't good enough to ring.

timvp
07-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Do you know of any of the summer league guys at least being invited to training camp?

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 01:12 PM
I know Richards and Dawson did, but I don't believe Dawson will go with out a guarantee, I heard he is fishing over in china. Richards I believe with go to camp with them and then get waived and go to the toros

RodNIc91
07-23-2012, 01:12 PM
WTH is Byars doing there. Id rather have another d-leaguer. BTW spurs151 do you know when are the training camp invites released?

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Those won't be released until September or early October

timtonymanu
07-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Not surprising nor was it ever.

If the Spurs are gonna get someone, it will be through a trade which I preferred.

The only disappointing thing is that Bonner is still around.

Interrohater
07-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I know Richards and Dawson did, but I don't believe Dawson will go with out a guarantee, I heard he is fishing over in china. Richards I believe with go to camp with them and then get waived and go to the toros
Very cool, it'll be nice to see Richards locally and see if he can turn into a legit prospect rather than scanning the interwebs for some news on his progress.

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
The spurs will invite quite a few to training camp but won't keep any. Will play the camp invites to rest their guys and then release them

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
I can almost guarantee you a lot of players will turn the invites down because they know they won't make the team

FlAVaK
07-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Is there someone I'm missing?

GTFO

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/1vppKxadgMA6aCqmo9nRhw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/Stephen-Jackson-knows-where-the-credit-goes.-Getty-Images.jpg

RodNIc91
07-23-2012, 01:23 PM
And who could blame them. I mean, I'd imagine Dawson has accomodated his game to fit the spurs' system only to know he'd likely not make the team.

Interrohater
07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
GTFO

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/1vppKxadgMA6aCqmo9nRhw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/Stephen-Jackson-knows-where-the-credit-goes.-Getty-Images.jpg
Well now I feel like an asshole.

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 01:27 PM
And who could blame them. I mean, I'd imagine Dawson has accomodated his game to fit the spurs' system only to know he'd likely not make the team.

:toast

Darkwaters
07-23-2012, 01:33 PM
It's in no way surprising that the Spurs will go into the season below the 15 player maximum. It's been years since they did, always preferring instead to keep a few spots open for cast offs and D-League try-outs. Anybody surprised by this just hasn't been paying attention.

The remaining portion from the MLE seems to be crying out for a Dejuan Blair or Gary Neal type situation to fill it. I wouldn't close the book on that possibility just yet. Of course, it may not happen until later in the season, but the Spurs obviously kept that door open.

There will obviously be camp invitees. There always are. And you never know when a guy like Desmon Farmer will pop up in camp and entice you to give him a shot. Now, of course, Farmer didn't stick long term. But then again, Summer League stud Gary Neal did. So who knows?

Byars seems to be a goner before the season starts. He adds some flexibility to potential trades as a non-guaranteed contract. But barring his inclusion in a trade to make numbers work, I think his end will come as a waiver victim the day before his contract goes guaranteed. Watch for a D-League stand-out to sign in his place within a few months of the their season going hot.

Lastly, the Spurs obviously haven't closed the door on trades either. Players like Matt Bonner, Gary Neal and Dejuan Blair seem like obvious choices to be moved. Maybe not now, maybe at the deadline, maybe before...but the Spurs will continue to entertain offers on these guys and hopefully sell high if possible.

The Spurs aren't done. They never really are. But they may be finished chasing down free agents.

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Appreciate that @dark waters. I'm just shutting down rumors off all these other guys that the spurs "have intrest" in.

I do however believe they should get rid of Blair sooner than later. The word is that he is having major knee issues which is why he went out of the country 2 weeks ago to have a procedure done. I don't see him lasting much longer IMO

cd98
07-23-2012, 01:56 PM
You never know when a player will get bought out at the end of the season. Gotta keep a spot and a way to sign them open just in case.

cd98
07-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Appreciate that @dark waters. I'm just shutting down rumors off all these other guys that the spurs "have intrest" in.

I do however believe they should get rid of Blair sooner than later. The word is that he is having major knee issues which is why he went out of the country 2 weeks ago to have a procedure done. I don't see him lasting much longer IMO

If that's the case, then no way Spurs pick up his option.

RodNIc91
07-23-2012, 02:08 PM

WOW. I didn't know that playing without ACL's would take that much toll on anybody's body.

Bruno
07-23-2012, 02:25 PM
It's not that a surprise that nobody on Spurs SL team get some kind of guaranteed money. Only 2 players, Leonard and Joseph, have shined and they still are under guaranteed contract.

Having only 14 players under contract to start the season is fine. Spurs are deep enough and it gives them a little flexibility to add someone they really like at one point of the season.

Even if Spurs are done this summer, which is understandable given the little left on the FA market, they still have some work to do to improve their PF spot. They are very weak in that area and need to fix it.

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 02:26 PM
WOW. I didn't know that playing without ACL's would take that much toll on anybody's body.

Surprise surprise :bang

Budkin
07-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Bonner spreads the floor.

Maddog
07-23-2012, 02:43 PM

?
would they still retain his rights under that scenario

Solid D
07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
I've just got word that the spurs ARE NOT bringing anyone else in. They plan on keeping the roster at 14. Not even bringing in any summer league guys.

As posted before:
Spurs 2011-12 end of season roster......Spurs 2012-13 Current Roster
Tim Duncan.......................................Tim Duncan
Boris Diaw.........................................Boris Diaw
Kawhi Leonard...................................Kawhi Leonard
Danny Green.....................................Danny Green
Tony Parker......................................Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili.....................................Manu Ginobili
Stephen Jackson...............................Stephen Jackson
Gary Neal.........................................Gary Neal
Tiago Splitter....................................Tiago Splitter
Matt Bonner......................................Matt Bonner
DeJuan Blair......................................DeJuan Blair
James Anderson..............................Nando De Colo
Patty Mills........................................Patty Mills
Cory Joseph (Inactive).......................Cory Joseph

and then, of course, there is this...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201271

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 02:57 PM
?
would they still retain his rights under that scenario

Richards? no they wouldn't because they would have to sign him and send him down as an assignment. They aren't willing to take up a roster spot

RodNIc91
07-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Surprise surprise :bang

Would you favor bringin Blatche? What are your thoughts about him

Libri
07-23-2012, 03:12 PM

Spurs were dangling him for a first round. Maybe that's why nobody took a bite.

Thomas82
07-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Richards? no they wouldn't because they would have to sign him and send him down as an assignment. They aren't willing to take up a roster spot

What if he plays well enough in camp to make it difficult if not impossible for the Spurs to cut him? Something tells me that if they lose his rights, another team will jump right in and snatch him up and make the Spurs regret letting him go. He would have been a 1st round pick if not for a bad shoulder.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2012, 03:41 PM
What if he plays well enough in camp to make it difficult if not impossible for the Spurs to cut him? Something tells me that if they lose his rights, another team will jump right in and snatch him up and make the Spurs regret letting him go. He would have been a 1st round pick if not for a bad shoulder.They've put in a lot of time coaching and observing him. If he really wows them in camp, they'll keep him but it looks like they aren't really worried about losing him.

dylankerouac
07-23-2012, 03:47 PM

First I've heard of this, I must have missed the thread.

Mel_13
07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
First I've heard of this, I must have missed the thread.

Well, two weeks ago was smack in the middle of Blair's participation with the USA Select Team in Las Vegas. I didn't see any reporting of this, but I wouldn't expect a press release about something like that anyway.

Darkwaters
07-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Why would he leave the US to have a procedure done? America has the best healthcare in the world. If you need an orthopaedic procedure done and had as much money as he does you wouldn't go anywhere else.

I don't buy that rumor at all.

Maybe he did have surgery. But I don't think an overseas trip is an indicator of that in any way.

CGD
07-23-2012, 04:09 PM

Interesting given the issues with the front line. Does this also foreclose the possibility of trades btw now and the start of the season?

RodNIc91
07-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Why would he leave the US to have a procedure done? America has the best healthcare in the world. If you need an orthopaedic procedure done and had as much money as he does you wouldn't go anywhere else.

Maybe he did have surgery. But I don't think an overseas trip is an indicator of that in any way.

Absolutely false.

ajballer4
07-23-2012, 04:10 PM

The Kobe doctor is overseas

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Yes he was in Vegas. But he flew out of San Antonio the 14th with a member of spurs staff. It is the same doc Kobe goes to in Germany. He spoke to a few of the summer league players

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 04:47 PM
If you don't believe me check his twitter

Mel_13
07-23-2012, 04:52 PM
If true, this means that Blair has knee issues that go beyond his lack of ACLs. Unfortunate for DeJuan as he'll probably never get big NBA money, but the Spurs signed him to a perfect contract from a team perspective.

Mel_13
07-23-2012, 05:02 PM

I checked from the 14th to the 17th. Nothing about leaving the country. Maybe I missed it.

TD 21
07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't buy this. There's no way they sign De Colo, who's scheduled to make $1.4M next season, to be inactive. And unless Neal is traded, that is exactly what he'll be.

Buford even said, when he announced that Duncan and Green had re-signed, that "this is not the roster we'll go into the season with". Now maybe that was just his way of saying the Diaw, Mills and De Colo signings were not official . . . or maybe it was his way of hinting at Neal and possibly Blair being traded.

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Back in America #taaalllmmbbooutt

Spurs151
07-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Upppppp and On my way to the airport! Goodmorning twittfam i had a great time! Here i come USA!!! GOODNIGHT LOL TALK 2 EVERYBODY 2MORROW!!!

yea I'm overseas

Bruno
07-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks Spurs151 for all these inside news. :tu

It sucks for Blair. It also make it even less understandable that SPurs don't go after another big. They got lucky last season with Diaw falling on their lap and this luck might very well not happen again this season.

Andthentherewas21
07-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Might have gone to Germany to have the same treatment Kobe/Oden/ect have done or something similar. Without ACL's he doesn't have as much tissue to prevent bone-on-bone contact so sooner or later its going to take its toll.

ginobilized
07-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Maybe Blair will return to his beastly days with his overseas knee repair?
That wouldn't hurt.....it might get more value in a trade, too.

objective
07-23-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't buy this. There's no way they sign De Colo, who's scheduled to make $1.4M next season, to be inactive.

I buy it, easy. I'm surprised it's that hard.

The paid Splitter 3.4 million his rookie year to rack up DNP-CDs as busted old McDyess, fat Blair, and Bonner-ish Bonner did what they do.

They paid Jackie Butler 2.2 million in the first year of a 2 year deal to play 11 games, knowing that he'd be behind Duncan, Horry, Elson, and Oberto at the least, plus Bonner..

They gave Bonner a three year deal starting at 2.7 over Scola in summer 07 knowing full well that he'd still be behind Duncan, Oberto, Horry, and Elson (and then Thomas). Dude wasn't a legit part of the big man rotation until Horry retired. The Spurs knew that and weren't signing him for the first year, but were signing him for the years after Horry.

Same with De Colo. 1.4 is nothing compared to those deals. It's like 1.5 times the vet minimum. Besides, this is Neal's last year under contract. Same with Manu. Same with Jackson. Patty Mills has an option to leave after the year. Joseph may or may not even have his option picked up.

De Colo getting a year of inactives and DNP-CDs should be expected with or without trades.

ElNono
07-23-2012, 05:48 PM

Certain cutting edge procedures, like the platelet therapy Kobe had or some stem cell procedures, are still not FDA approved in the US. That's why Americans head out overseas to get them.

TD 21
07-23-2012, 05:59 PM

The paid Splitter 3.4 million his rookie year to rack up DNP-CDs as busted old McDyess, fat Blair, and Bonner-ish Bonner did what they do.

They paid Jackie Butler 2.2 million in the first year of a 2 year deal to play 11 games, knowing that he'd be behind Duncan, Horry, Elson, and Oberto at the least, plus Bonner..

They gave Bonner a three year deal starting at 2.7 over Scola in summer 07 knowing full well that he'd still be behind Duncan, Oberto, Horry, and Elson (and then Thomas). Dude wasn't a legit part of the big man rotation until Horry retired. The Spurs knew that and weren't signing him for the first year, but were signing him for the years after Horry.

Same with De Colo. 1.4 is nothing compared to those deals. It's like 1.5 times the vet minimum. Besides, this is Neal's last year under contract. Same with Manu. Same with Jackson. Patty Mills has an option to leave after the year. Joseph may or may not even have his option picked up.

De Colo getting a year of inactives and DNP-CDs should be expected with or without trades.

Yeah, but they didn't pay him $3.4M to be inactive. And the reality is, him barely playing that season was really the perfect storm. 1) He misses virtually all of training camp/preseason. 2) In his absence, the team goes on to begin what eventually became one of the greatest starts in league history. 3) Pop doesn't view Duncan and Splitter as being able to play together with any degree of regularity. But he wanted to keep McDyess' minutes managed throughout the season and Bonner's one dimensional game from starting. Yet at the same time, both were locks to be in the rotation. So that left Blair as a default starter and Splitter as the odd man out.

With Butler, it wasn't a given he'd be behind Elson and Oberto. It was more of a three man competition for playing time. They were hoping one or two would separate themselves, which is exactly what happened when Butler proved he wasn't an NBA player.

Like Splitter, Bonner was not going to be inactive. Plus, he was being groomed as Horry's eventual successor and in an effort to keep Horry's minutes managed throughout the season, it was obvious he'd get some meaningful minutes.

I agree about De Colo getting plenty of DNP-CD's. I always thought he'd be the fifth guard (with an outside chance to overtake Mills), but inactive? He'd have signed on for this, why? It doesn't make sense. And not only that, but Neal is no longer a fit. Even if all they can get is a relatively high 2nd or a project big for him, I'll take that over him leaving for nothing in a year, particularly because I don't see a roll for him in the interim.

mountainballer
07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Certain cutting edge procedures, like the platelet therapy Kobe had or some stem cell procedures, are still not FDA approved in the US. That's why Americans head out overseas to get them.

the doktor is Dr. Peter Wehling in Duesseldorf and yes, he invented some treatments that are not (yet?) allowed in the USA.
Alex Rodriguez got his treatment as well. so did pope Johannes Paul II.
(not the drugs. but who knows. Wehling is linked to some other doktors with questionable reputations, like Dr. Chris Renna, who has a connection to Victor Conte and Balco)

DPG21920
07-23-2012, 06:20 PM
It is strange to see the FO so vocal and on the same united page about the front court and how they think it is fine.

objective
07-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Yeah, but they didn't pay him $3.4M to be inactive. And the reality is, him barely playing that season was really the perfect storm. 1) He misses virtually all of training camp/preseason. 2) In his absence, the team goes on to begin what eventually became one of the greatest starts in league history. 3) Though many of us thought it was ridiculous, Pop doesn't view Duncan and Splitter as being able to play together with any degree of regularity. But he wanted to keep McDyess' minutes managed throughout the season and Bonner's one dimensional game from starting. Yet at the same time, both were locks to be in the rotation. So that left Blair as a default starter.

With Butler, it wasn't a given he'd be behind Elson and Oberto. It was more of a three man competition for playing time. They were hoping one or two would separate themselves, which is exactly what happened when Butler proved he wasn't an NBA player.

Like Splitter, Bonner was not going to be inactive. Plus, he was being groomed as Horry's eventual successor and in an effort to keep Horry's minutes managed throughout the season, it was obvious he'd get some meaningful minutes.

I agree about De Colo getting plenty of DNP-CD's. I always thought he'd be the fifth guard (with an outside chance to overtake Mills), but inactive? He'd have signed on for this, why? It doesn't make sense. And not only that, but Neal is no longer a fit. Even if all they can get is a relatively high 2nd or a project big for him, I'll take that over him leaving for nothing in a year, particularly because I don't see a roll for him in the interim.

Butler wasn't given a chance to compete for a job and was never going to. Part of the whole rationale for signing Butler was to have a young big with potential to 'groom' in the background, as opposed to Javtokas who was maxed out as a player and couldn't improve in the background.

And regarding Pop's/ST's excuses for not playing Splitter or what happened with Bonner in 08, the point remains: Their salaries had zero impact on whether they would play. It didn't matter that they were getting double or more than double than De Colo, it didn't mean that they would play, ever. Or be active, ever.

As to why De Colo would sign if he didn't know for sure he'd be active?

To be in the NBA.

De Colo wants to be in the NBA. His old backcourt teammate and friend Beaubois has been in the league for three years already.

The NBA is important to De Colo, and this was his chance to start his career. For more than the NBA minimum. Without having to pay out of pocket to cover buyout expenses beyond what the Spurs could contribute. He also, like most athletes, is likely supremely confident in his abilities and thinks that if he shows up and outperforms the others, he'll get minutes (not really true under Pop, but whatevs).

I'm not saying they shouldn't trade Neal; I'm fine if they trade him and Blair while they're at it. I just won't be shocked if we get to Christmas Day games and Neal is still on the roster, dressed to play and De Colo is in a suit behind the bench. And to have that still be the case when the playoffs roll around.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-23-2012, 06:44 PM
It's in no way surprising that the Spurs will go into the season below the 15 player maximum. It's been years since they did, always preferring instead to keep a few spots open for cast offs and D-League try-outs. Anybody surprised by this just hasn't been paying attention.

Not to mention that

POP HAS BEEN SAYING THIS FOR AT LEAST A WEEK

Trill Clinton
07-23-2012, 06:47 PM

its true. i also heard he went to Germany for treatment because his knees are in bad shape.

Spur|n|Austin
07-23-2012, 06:47 PM
That wouldn't hurt.....it might get more value in a trade, too.

Which beastly days were those?

TD 21
07-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Butler wasn't given a chance to compete for a job and was never going to. Part of the whole rationale for signing Butler was to have a young big with potential to 'groom' in the background, as opposed to Javtokas who was maxed out as a player and couldn't improve in the background.

And regarding Pop's/ST's excuses for not playing Splitter or what happened with Bonner in 08, the point remains: Their salaries had zero impact on whether they would play. It didn't matter that they were getting double or more than double than De Colo, it didn't mean that they would play, ever. Or be active, ever.

As to why De Colo would sign if he didn't know for sure he'd be active?

To be in the NBA.

De Colo wants to be in the NBA. His old backcourt teammate and friend Beaubois has been in the league for three years already.

The NBA is important to De Colo, and this was his chance to start his career. For more than the NBA minimum. Without having to pay out of pocket to cover buyout expenses beyond what the Spurs could contribute. He also, like most athletes, is likely supremely confident in his abilities and thinks that if he shows up and outperforms the others, he'll get minutes (not really true under Pop, but whatevs).

I'm not saying they shouldn't trade Neal; I'm fine if they trade him and Blair while they're at it. I just won't be shocked if we get to Christmas Day games and Neal is still on the roster, dressed to play and De Colo is in a suit behind the bench. And to have that still be the case when the playoffs roll around.

Elson and Oberto weren't exactly the second coming of Robinson and Duncan. I realize both were projected to be ahead of Butler, but if Butler had shown anything, he'd have had a shot at playing time.

I'm not making excuses for why Splitter didn't play much, I'm just explaining why he didn't. I'm also not saying I'd be surprised if De Colo were a non rotation player (in fact, I alluded to not expecting him to be a rotation player). What I'm saying is, I'd be very surprised if he were inactive. In some cases, that may come off as mere semantics, but in this case, there's a big difference.

If Neal is kept, De Colo is sixth on the depth chart at guard, with no chance of moving up. If Neal is traded, he's fifth, but he'd have an outside shot at moving up to fourth. Reason being: It's damn near impossible for Mills to falter enough for them to deactivate him playing a role as minimal as fifth guard. But there's the possibility he could falter enough as the primary backup point that they drop him from the rotation.

As far as the rest of this, you actually make some decent points, but I'd still be very surprised if this actually comes to fruition. I know they've shown time and time again that they don't really care about roster balance, but going with 7 guards, when they only have 2 centers and 2 and a half small forwards, is beyond stupid.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-23-2012, 07:51 PM
I think there are still a lot of variables in the guard rotation. Mills vs. CoJo. Nando vs. Neal. I expect Nando and CoJo to get less time because the other players have put in more time already. But as far as how these players roles are imagined, I think that's still open. Is Neal back to a SG, or is he now the 3rd (or 4th) string PG, or both? Is Nando only a SG or will he play some backup PG as well? Will Manu even play the first month of the season?

I expect Pop to make the guard rotation as clear as mud for the whole season because basically he likes to dilly around with possibilities (all the while never really playing the less inexperienced players at the same time).

They seem high on Nando so it's possible he gets some time, but because the fans would probably want to see him play, I expect him not to play.

dylankerouac
07-24-2012, 01:04 AM

From what it sounds like, the treatment blocks inflammation receptors so that the injured area does not swell or cause increased pain. There is no mention of any repair.

For someone like an athlete I tend to think the consequences of the treatment can be worse than for a normal person because if there is no inflammation or major pain the athlete may not know when to give the injured area a rest and they may push it beyond its breaking point. Of course they would have to push themselves very hard but their original injuries are usually from some form of hard play.

Imagine T.J. Ford getting the treatment, his spinal pain (I assume he has some) may go away but would he really want to risk continuing to play basketball? I guess we will see how the treatment works out in a few years.

I was hoping the treatment was more of an injection of soft material that may act as cushion between the joints.

(http://%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A%3Ca%20href=%22http://abcnews.go.com/Health/pro-athletes-turn-controversial-blood-injections-chronic-pain/story?id=16615036#.UA42L6OX98F%22%20target=%22_bla nk%22%3Ehttp://abcnews.go.com/Health/pro-athletes-turn-controversial-blood-injections-chronic-pain/story?id=16615036#.UA42L6OX98F%3C/a%3E%3Cbr%20/%3E)http://abcnews.go.com/Health/pro-athletes-turn-controversial-blood-injections-chronic-pain/story?id=16615036#.UA42L6OX98F

spursfan1000
07-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Not really surprising, im hoping we will pick up a big man at the deadline.

buttsR4rebounding
07-24-2012, 12:07 PM
So when all is said and done: The rumor is that there is no rumor...very interesting that it created a 3 page thread. Is this the Spurs Talk version of Seinfeld?

ElNono
07-24-2012, 12:23 PM
the doktor is Dr. Peter Wehling in Duesseldorf and yes, he invented some treatments that are not (yet?) allowed in the USA.
Alex Rodriguez got his treatment as well. so did pope Johannes Paul II.
(not the drugs. but who knows. Wehling is linked to some other doktors with questionable reputations, like Dr. Chris Renna, who has a connection to Victor Conte and Balco)

I know the FDA was working on getting some treatments approved. It just takes time here in the US to go through trials, etc, and professional athletes sometimes don't have that much time to wait.

Another American that went to Europe for a cancer treatment not yet approved in the US was the Steve Jobs.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-24-2012, 12:36 PM
From what it sounds like, the treatment blocks inflammation receptors so that the injured area does not swell or cause increased pain. There is no mention of any repair.

For someone like an athlete I tend to think the consequences of the treatment can be worse than for a normal person because if there is no inflammation or major pain the athlete may not know when to give the injured area a rest and they may push it beyond its breaking point. Of course they would have to push themselves very hard but their original injuries are usually from some form of hard play.

Imagine T.J. Ford getting the treatment, his spinal pain (I assume he has some) may go away but would he really want to risk continuing to play basketball? I guess we will see how the treatment works out in a few years.

I was hoping the treatment was more of an injection of soft material that may act as cushion between the joints.

(http://%3Cbr%20/%3E%0A%3Ca%20href=%22http://abcnews.go.com/Health/pro-athletes-turn-controversial-blood-injections-chronic-pain/story?id=16615036#.UA42L6OX98F%22%20target=%22_bla nk%22%3Ehttp://abcnews.go.com/Health/pro-athletes-turn-controversial-blood-injections-chronic-pain/story?id=16615036#.UA42L6OX98F%3C/a%3E%3Cbr%20/%3E)http://abcnews.go.com/Health/pro-athletes-turn-controversial-blood-injections-chronic-pain/story?id=16615036#.UA42L6OX98F

Good points. But sometimes the inflammatory response creates part of the damage. Hard to say without knowing more details about each players' injuries.

gambit1990
07-24-2012, 01:27 PM
So when all is said and done: The rumor is that there is no rumor...very interesting that it created a 3 page thread. Is this the Spurs Talk version of Seinfeld?

:lol it is the offseason...

BackHome
07-24-2012, 07:24 PM

That is stupid thing to say that he will be getting DNP-CD - Come on man that is what training camp is for if the guy shows he can play then he will get minutes if he doesn't he won't. Pop is going to tell him if he plays well he will earn minutes if he doesn't then don't expect a lot of minutes.

objective
07-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Please, if Tiago Splitter gets DNP-CDs behind a terrible non-Duncan big man rotation even though he was productive when allowed to play, then why would De Colo somehow get minutes behind a relatively stacked backcourt?

How well a player plays doesn't often factor in to the minutes they get, for Pop or any other coach for that matter. Whether it's Tiago or Hairston or Mahinmi, or "these playoffs aren't for George Hill", it's say one thing and do another. It could be Avery Bradley in Boston, where Doc refused to play him until the injuries forced him to. It could be Eric Bledsoe for the Clippers where Del Negro refused to play him while the Spurs were jamming a 24 point run down their throat even though Bledsoe was one of their best playoff performers. The Rockets cut Jeremy Lin not because Jonny Flynn outplayed him in camp, but because Flynn had his year guaranteed and Lin didn't. Reputation and respect matter just as much if not more than actual on court production.

I hope De Colo plays, I like watching his style of play a lot more than Danny Green's or Gary Neal's. Green probably is better for the team, but you get the point, I'm a De Colo fan and am glad he's a Spur.

The point is that after so many years of seeing performance have zero bearing on the minutes a player gets until it's almost too late to matter, why are Spurs fans still so surprised when it happens (like Hill or Splitter or their opposites, Bonner and Jefferson)? And that's if he plays well. He might not.

Usually the whole, "Spurs players aren't good until their second year in the system" is no more than a garbage excuse gobbled up by Spurs fans. But who knows, it could be true for once with De Colo in a significant way.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Basically Pop wants to know that a player has suffered, be it in some lowly league on the other side of the world, or if need be, by him yelling at the player. Even King Bonner used to get yelled at. As did Parker. As did Manu. I think he needs to assert a power dynamic for the team so the players know their place and their role. At least that's how I see it. And in some ways, this is a good thing because it keeps the players egos in check and focused on the team goal. Obviously Pop can get carried away and there is no one around to tell him when he's getting carried away with some of his eccentric, odd choices. But overall it's served the team well.

But yeah, I don't expect Nando to play too much. Hopefully he surprises us and is too good to not play.

Duncan2177
07-24-2012, 08:55 PM
It is strange to see the FO so vocal and on the same united page about the front court and how they think it is fine.

Yea and there really are not fine.

Solid D
07-24-2012, 09:55 PM

You know as well as anyone that all it takes is 1 or 2 posts by certain personalities to set things off. You know the kind...the inciteful posters (no, I didn't misspell insightful).

ChumpDumper
07-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Usually the whole, "Spurs players aren't good until their second year in the system" is no more than a garbage excuse gobbled up by Spurs fans. But who knows, it could be true for once with De Colo in a significant way.Hmm, pre-excusing a player you like.

Good move. :tu

Bruno
07-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Bryant recently talked about his treatment in Germany:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/25/kobe-bryant-olympic-team-usa

When asked about the experimental treatment he underwent to remedy his failing knees, he says: "I've spoken to other baseball players, other [American] football players about it. It did wonders for me. It's not just for your knees, but anything arthritic. So, the doctors came up with this [Orthokine] procedure which can act as a replacement of cartilage. For me, the results have been astonishing. I can run. I can train. I can do everything that I wanted to do without limping, my knee getting swollen or anything of that nature."

If it works too on Blair, I can see Spurs sending quickly Duncan to do it. Duncan is in the same situation than Bryant with bone on bone knees. Blair would be kind of a human rat lab for Spurs medical staff.

slick'81
07-25-2012, 05:37 PM

If it works too on Blair, I can see Spurs sending quickly Duncan to do it. Duncan is in the same situation than Bryant with bone on bone knees. Blair would be kind of a human rat lab for Spurs medical staff.

i too wonder why duncan hasnt looked into with guys like mcgrady and kobe having success .

07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
it's sad the rumor alert is that the spurs are standing pat.

timvp
07-25-2012, 09:16 PM
I've wondered if Duncan and KG both had that Germany knee procedure before last season. It's kinda odd timing that both turned back the clock in the same year. If that's the cause of the rejuvenation, that'd be pretty awesome because it means it's not as likely to have been a fluke.

Ice009
07-25-2012, 10:45 PM
I've wondered if Duncan and KG both had that Germany knee procedure before last season. It's kinda odd timing that both turned back the clock in the same year. If that's the cause of the rejuvenation, that'd be pretty awesome because it means it's not as likely to have been a fluke.

I thought Tim jokingly said at some point during the season that he's not a big enough name like a Kobe to get that procedure done?

CGD
07-25-2012, 11:02 PM
I wonder why this procedure hasn't been approved in the US.
Bueracracy, safety concerns, insurance lobby, combination of factors?

Im also curious who picks up the cost for such procedures team's or player's insurance, or either party out of pocket.

mabrignani
07-26-2012, 01:14 AM
I wonder why this procedure hasn't been approved in the US.
Bueracracy, safety concerns, insurance lobby, combination of factors?

Im also curious who picks up the cost for such procedures team's or player's insurance, or either party out of pocket.

obama and his care

baseline bum
07-26-2012, 01:17 AM
What did the procedure really do for Kobe though?

mUTIUb6Y2nw

Seventyniner
07-26-2012, 06:45 AM
What did the procedure really do for Kobe though?

Like Barkley says, you can't fix stupid.

dylankerouac
07-26-2012, 01:29 PM

I saw this today at yahoo http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/kobe-bryant-dropped-16-pounds-olympics-beyond-202942744--oly.html

Glad to hear they have some sort of replacement for cartilage. Hopefully results are all/mostly positive.