PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Denmon to sign in France (Edit: Now Official)

Bruno
07-23-2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/livenews/marcus-denmon-vers-chalon/2012/

Chalon, a french team that will play the Euroleague is in contract with Denmon. He is their first target.

timvp
07-23-2012, 01:00 PM
That'd be great. French league is about the right level for Denmon. I hope they play him at point guard.

Denmon would be smart to sign with that team instead of forcing the Spurs to bring him to camp like Jack McClinton did. He, like McClinton, has a 0% chance of making the Spurs this season.

Interrohater
07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Nice. I haven't read anything about any falling out with the team, so maybe he took their advice and he's just getting some point guard skills overseas. You know anything about that, Bruno? Will he, in fact, be playing Point?

Darkwaters
07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Awesome. This is exactly what I wanted the whole way through!

Bruno
07-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Nice. I haven't read anything about any falling out with the team, so maybe he took their advice and he's just getting some point guard skills overseas. You know anything about that, Bruno? Will he, in fact, be playing Point?

He will primarily play SG. He might get some minutes at PG when the starting PG will be on the bench but the bulk of his minutes will be at the SG spot.

timtonymanu
07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Good for him. I dont see the need to put him on the roster when Parker, Mills, De Colo, and now Joseph are there already.

Stabula
07-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah get Denmon out of here he needs at least two years before he'll be Spurs caliber especially for the highly competitive position of point guard.

Interrohater
07-23-2012, 01:23 PM
He will primarily play SG. He might get some minutes at PG when the starting PG will be on the bench but the bulk of his minutes will be at the SG spot.
:tu

wildbill2u
07-23-2012, 02:20 PM
I was wondering if this was the team that TP is connected with? That would seem a natural fit if he goes to France since I think TP has them using much of the Spurs systems.

Bruno
07-23-2012, 02:28 PM
I was wondering if this was the team that TP is connected with?

No, it's not. TP's team is called L'ASVEL or Villeurbanne.

jermaine
07-24-2012, 06:26 AM
Can someone explain to me why draft someone who's not NBA ready now? Just send them overseas!

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Can someone explain to me why draft someone who's not NBA ready now? Just send them overseas!

How many NBA ready players were there at 59?

Twisted_Dawg
07-24-2012, 06:38 AM
That'd be great. French league is about the right level for Denmon. I hope they play him at point guard.

Denmon would be smart to sign with that team instead of forcing the Spurs to bring him to camp like Jack McClinton did. He, like McClinton, has a 0% chance of making the Spurs this season.

Jack McClinton.....now there is a name I'd completely forgotten,

NickiRasgo
07-24-2012, 06:48 AM
How many NBA ready players were there at 59?

Yeah. Manu took three years in Euro before he became a Spur.

Kings was so lucky last season with Isiah Thomas (60th Pick).

racm
07-24-2012, 06:52 AM
NBA players in the late second round are a rarity. It's worth noting guys like Green and Mills were drafted in the 40s-50s, and even they struggled to get into the rotation until the Spurs got them.

For this simple reason Manu may be one of the top 3 draft steals of all time. You don't find a rotation player at that point, let alone a Sixth Man of the Year, a two-time All-Star, and a two-time All-NBA selection.

smaka
07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Does this team play in Eurocup or Eurochallenge? Or only French league?

sinok
07-24-2012, 12:45 PM
They were in pro A playoff semi finals, thus going to eurocup

Bruno
07-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Does this team play in Eurocup or Eurochallenge? Or only French league?

They will play the Euroleague. They won the French league last season.

elemento
07-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Wish him luck if he goes to France. Hopefully he gets to play a lot and improves in Europe.

TimmehC
07-24-2012, 02:29 PM
They will play the Euroleague. They won the French league last season.

Yep. This would an excellent place for Denmon to develop his game against top competition. Great find. :toast

Bruno
07-24-2012, 03:23 PM
The latest:
http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/livenews/malcolm-delaney-quitte-lelan-chalon/2012/
http://basketactu.com/malcolm-delaney-quitte-chalon/

So:
Malcolm Delaney (Chalon last year SG) has officially said that he won't be back with them this season. Chalon will sign a player to replace him and Denmon in the frontrunner. In addition of their coach liking him, part of Chalon reasoning is "he should be good since Spurs have drafted him".

timvp
07-24-2012, 04:22 PM
The latest:
http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/livenews/malcolm-delaney-quitte-lelan-chalon/2012/
http://basketactu.com/malcolm-delaney-quitte-chalon/

So:
Malcolm Delaney (Chalon last year SG) has officially said that he won't be back with them this season. Chalon will sign a player to replace him and Denmon in the frontrunner. In addition of their coach liking him, part of Chalon reasoning is "he should be good since Spurs have drafted him".

Thanks for the info :tu

Denmon is basically a Malcolm Delaney clone. Had a lot of success in college but it will be tough to make the NBA due to being short for a shooting guard at 6-foot-3. Last I saw Delaney, he was even skinnier than Denmon.

Looking at Delaney's stats on Chalon, even though he was technically the shooting guard, he handled the ball enough to average 3.2 assists. If Denmon can play a role that allows him to be a playmaking shooting guard (like Delaney, apparently), that's probably the best way to start the transition to point guard.

Bruno
07-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Looking at Delaney's stats on Chalon, even though he was technically the shooting guard, he handled the ball enough to average 3.2 assists.

A reason why Delaney's assists numbers are high is because, when the staring PG (Steed Tchicamboud) was on the bench, Delaney was playing PG. Maybe this year Chalon will sign a true backup PG to face the euroleague, but if they don't, Denmon will have 10/12 mpg at the PG spot.

Other than that, from what I've seen of Denmon in SL, he is quite similar to Delaney. Chalon could be a good place for Denmon. They have a good experienced coach and he could be their second offensive option.

Bruno
07-25-2012, 09:15 AM
You can remove the question mark from the title. Denmon has officially signed with Chalon:
http://www.elanchalon.fr/accueil/news/564

Some tidbits form the official signing release:
- Chalon is calling Denmon a combo guard which hint that he will play too the backup PG minutes. Chalon's owner is saying too that they wanted a player similar to Malcom Delaney. He is too saying that some teams in europe wanted him after his SL performance and that he is sure Denmon will become one of the main player of the French league and the Euroleague.
- Denmon quote about his signing: "I'm very happy to sign with Chalon. It's a great opportunity for me to play at the highest level in Europe, that is to say the Euroleague, coming straight from college. I know that I need to improve a lot before going to the NBA and I know I've made the right choice."

K-State Spur
07-25-2012, 09:19 AM
So Spurs retain his rights - correct?

I still like the pick, think he's got a chance to develop into a gary neal type, with more willingness to get after it defensively. Of course, it took Gary Neal a few years over seas to develop into a Gary Neal type.

racm
07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
The San Antonio Spurs are the definitive masters of the draft-and-stash tactic, and they do it again.

If the kid shines overseas the Spurs should consider bringing him back over.

G-Dawgg
07-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Who cares. He's typical late 2nd round garbage..

Trill Clinton
07-25-2012, 10:48 AM
i forgot all about Delaney. dude was cold at VaTech just scrawny.

elemento
07-25-2012, 10:49 AM
You can remove the question mark from the title. Denmon has officially signed with Chalon:

- Chalon is calling Denmon a combo guard which hint that he will play too the backup PG minutes. Chalon's owner is saying too that they wanted a player similar to Malcom Delaney. He is too saying that some teams in europe wanted him after his SL performance and that he is sure Denmon will become one of the main player of the French league and the Euroleague.
- Denmon quote about his signing: "I'm very happy to sign with Chalon. It's a great opportunity for me to play at the highest level in Europe, that is to say the Euroleague, coming straight from college. I know that I need to improve a lot before going to the NBA and I know I've made the right choice."

Happy that Denmon didn't pull a McClinton and realized he was not ready for the NBA. Hopefully he improves and SA can bring him back in a few years.

silverblackfan
07-25-2012, 10:59 AM
This sure looks promising for the future. Good of Denmon to continue to improve and accept the reality of his current skill set.

timvp
07-25-2012, 01:12 PM

There's a lot of good news is that. Denmon playing any amount of point guard will be helpful, especially considering he played small forward a lot of the time in college. He needs to start that transition ASAP and it sounds like that will start happening.

It's also good that Denmon realizes his shortcomings. Most college stars are very reluctant to admit when they aren't good enough for the NBA and hesitate to sign overseas. Denmon seems to have a good attitude and is ready to improve.

And for the Spurs, a hardworking, talented player on a Euroleague team who is stepping into a defined role is a good pick at 59. He'll probably never make it to the NBA but this scenario gives him a decent chance as long as he embraces the opportunity. He showed enough flashes of PG ability in summer league that it's not impossible that he's able to remodel his game.

Darkwaters
07-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Agreed. This makes his selection at 59 that much better.

Libri
07-25-2012, 01:57 PM

Do you know if the Spurs helped him get on a European team or was it all his agent? If it was the Spurs, then it paid off being drafted by San Antonio, a team that has contacts overseas and can open doors for him.

tesseractive
07-25-2012, 02:26 PM
It's also good that Denmon realizes his shortcomings. Most college stars are very reluctant to admit when they aren't good enough for the NBA and hesitate to sign overseas. Denmon seems to have a good attitude and is ready to improve.

I don't know if he can overcome his lack of physical tools, but definitely sounds like Spurs material in every other respect.

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM

I don't know if he can overcome his lack of physical tools, but definitely sounds like Spurs material in every other respect.

including his lack of physical tools.

Bruno
07-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Do you know if the Spurs helped him get on a European team or was it all his agent? If it was the Spurs, then it paid off being drafted by San Antonio, a team that has contacts overseas and can open doors for him.

I'm not sure.

The agent working in France for Denmon's agency has said "Spurs are very involved and have been consulted about Marcus' choice because they took him in the second round." http://basketactu.com/marcus-denmon-remplace-malcolm-delaney-a-chalon/
It sounds like Denmon's agent find the team and Spurs liked this pick.

Now, being drafted by Spurs pays off if you want to play overseas. Spurs have a tremendous reputation in Europe as a high quality franchise. Being drafted by Spurs is a quality stamp for teams in Europe: if Spurs, that has a great front office, like him, then he should be good.

Venti Quattro
07-26-2012, 03:39 AM
He's playing on the biggest scrub team by far in Euroleague. I am sure it's the only team that would even consider him.

PS Fuck you Bruno, you sick POS

Holy shit, you Greek goatfucker are back! :lmao

:lol Greece
:lol poor
:lol pedos
:lol goat fuckers

Stabula
07-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Greeks perfected the art of fucking a goat at the edge of a cliff so the goat will push back.

TheCerebral1
07-26-2012, 10:38 AM
It could be benefitial to the Spurs and to Denmon. He gets some experience in Euro style basketball which is more of the Spurs run identity and we move forward with the guards that we have in camp.

CubanMustGo
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
He's playing on the biggest scrub team by far in Euroleague. I am sure it's the only team that would even consider him.

PS Fuck you Bruno, you sick POS

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6053/newspapero.jpg

spursnatic
07-28-2012, 09:45 PM
That's pretty bad, not even a #59 pick wants to play for us?...Oh well seeing him in Summer League showed me he isn't yet ready for the NBA...

NickiRasgo
07-28-2012, 10:08 PM
That's pretty bad, not even a #59 pick wants to play for us?...Oh well seeing him in Summer League showed me he isn't yet ready for the NBA...

Not pretty bad. Blair I think was the last time who is 2nd Rounder (37th Pick) who played for us when he was drafted in the same year. And besides Blair, who was the last one? Or above 40th Pick to the 60th Pick.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-28-2012, 10:59 PM
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6053/newspapero.jpg

:lol #winning

BackHome
07-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Damn that article is funny.....:rollin

temujin
07-30-2012, 02:50 AM
I'm not sure.

The agent working in France for Denmon's agency has said "Spurs are very involved and have been consulted about Marcus' choice because they took him in the second round." http://basketactu.com/marcus-denmon-remplace-malcolm-delaney-a-chalon/
It sounds like Denmon's agent find the team and Spurs liked this pick.

Now, being drafted by Spurs pays off if you want to play overseas. Spurs have a tremendous reputation in Europe as a high quality franchise. Being drafted by Spurs is a quality stamp for teams in Europe: if Spurs, that has a great front office, like him, then he should be good.

This is absolutely correct.

There are many NBA franchises which are the opposite: If <insert name> picked him, there must be something fishy.

Good move by Denmon, probabl told by the Spurs FO. The level is perfect for him, for the time being. And he gets the chance to show his skills to better Euroleague teams first hand.

racm
07-30-2012, 04:06 AM
This is absolutely correct.

There are many NBA franchises which are the opposite: If <insert name> picked him, there must be something fishy.

Good move by Denmon, probabl told by the Spurs FO. The level is perfect for him, for the time being. And he gets the chance to show his skills to better Euroleague teams first hand.

I think the Spurs FO started drafting and stashing American players before everyone else.

Bruno
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Greg Beugnot, Chalon's coahc, talked about the Denmon signing:
http://basketactu.com/gregor-beugnot-on-ne-vient-pas-en-euroleague-pour-faire-de-la-figuration/

"Denmon is a little a mix between Marquez Haynes and Malcolm Delaney, the two previous players I had at that spot. On top of that, Spurs own his rights since they've drafted him in the second round. Spurs didn't want to let him go, they wanted to keep him under their wings. Since I liked the player and since I have the reputation in the USA of being a coach that is a good teacher for the Euro rookies, we've quickly reached an agreement with Spurs. So it's a perfect agreement for his career growth between Spurs, Chalon and his agents. He comes to work very hard, he is a true very effective SG that we had to turn into a PG. I need to have a PG for 10-15mpg behind Steed Tchicamboud since I have no one else to take that spot. The deal works for everybody and I love the player. Saying that, it's not because I love the player that he will have a good season. He needs to make the transition to the European game, to fit with the team and so on. However, I really think he has all the qualities to bring a little more than what Malcolm Delaney, who has had a very good season, brought us last season. He is a fearless player that is strong and explosive like Marquez Haynes and that is a better shooter than Malcolm Delaney. Al in all I don't think I've made a bad pick at all. And everybody knows, that when Spurs draft a player, it's because they want to have him with their team one day or another. Most of the time, they draft a complete player and I think they haven't made a mistake with this pick."