PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry Gets Ring

Ghost Writer
06-24-2005, 12:54 PM
I stayed up and watched the postgame conference on ESPN, but did not get Barry's reaction to coming to the Spurs as a free agent to get a ring and accomplishing his mission.

Does anyone have any comments from Barry?

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 12:57 PM
BRENT BARRY

Q: Can you talk about Tim Duncan’s and Manu Ginobili’s play?
Barry: Absolutely, you know those guys coming in, were very focused, but they came up when we needed them to. In the fourth quarter, Tim (Duncan) was demonstrative and focused and all the things that people said he wasn’t and isn’t in this series, and that’s why he’s the MVP once again.

Q: Did you guys make a decision to come out and play more aggressive?
Barry: Yeah. Just to have some fun and try and relax. Robert (Horry) talked to me about that he said to go out and let it rip. And so I felt more comfortable in the last two games than I had in a long time. I just wanted to provide some energy and keep our team close and let the big boys take of it down the stretch.

Dex
06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
One of the many moments from last night that will stick in my memory forever.

After the game, Pop and Barry met in a sincere embrace in the middle of the crowd. Leaning over, Pop patted Barry on the back and simply said, "I told you you'd be glad you came."

All Barry could do was nod, agree, and embrace the man that lead him to the Title he had been fighting for.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/champ03.jpg

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
I saw speaking on Fastbreak right after the game. He was asked about his decision to take less money to come to SA and he explained that it meant alot to him that the Spurs wanted him here because he knows the Spurs don't just take anyone. They research and look at all the angles, so he knew when they came looking for him that he had a chance to be part of something special.

Leetonidas
06-24-2005, 01:10 PM
How sweet.

BigVee
06-24-2005, 01:14 PM
I think Barry will be a much bigger factor for this team next year. Last night was the most aggressive he has been this year. He finally looked like he was comfortable on the floor.

timvp
06-24-2005, 01:15 PM
I think Barry will be a much bigger factor for this team next year. Last night was the most aggressive he has been this year. He finally looked like he was comfortable on the floor.

Yep. :tu

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 01:15 PM

I agree. Barry, Nazr and Beno will all be better players next season for the Spurs when they have a summer and a training camp under their belt.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2005, 01:16 PM
...and Big Dog too if he's still around.

Ghost Writer
06-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Awesome feedback!

Thanks, peeps!

San Antonio:
The Team to Join When You're Serious about Championship Basketball

P.S.

I think Brent's dad, Rick, (who I feel gets a bum rap by fans and NBA pundits) was living through his son. ABC showed him with his Spurs hat on, pumping his fist.

spur219
06-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Let me tell you that the Spurs wouldn't of won it if Barry wouldn't of stepped up. He didn't score much but damn when Parker sat out and Barry was running the point that is when the Spurs offense was more effective. He would set up the plays and distribute the ball at the right time and so effectively. And not only that he played the best Defense I have ever seen him play. You could tell that he really wanted that ring when he was on the court. Not only can he finally say that he got a ring but he can say that he heavily contributed to that ring in game 7. Much props to Barry.

Taco
06-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Did you hear him on Jim Rome show?

They had a meeting today @ the practice facility and he said he was amazed the staff had college players working out for the spurs

He said the system that is set up here in San Antonio anybody could play in it

But the Key is the spurs pick out the right players and they don't just go out and get any player

He said you don't choose to play for San Antonio he said San Antonio Chooses you to play here

1Parker1
06-24-2005, 01:41 PM
I saw speaking on Fastbreak right after the game. He was asked about his decision to take less money to come to SA and he explained that it meant alot to him that the Spurs wanted him here because he knows the Spurs don't just take anyone. They research and look at all the angles, so he knew when they came looking for him that he had a chance to be part of something special.

It's almost like the Spurs are the Harvard or Princeton of the basketball world. They literally have a set of criteria and tests you must pass--not just phyically but mentally in order to get on the team and get playing time. That's the difference right there. Most teams love to trade for a Vince Carter, KG kind of player in a heartbeat. Spurs look at each and every players qualities on and off the court, phyically and mentally before they decide to let someone in to their "prestigous" ballclub.

theinstitute
06-24-2005, 01:51 PM
One of the many moments from last night that will stick in my memory forever.

After the game, Pop and Barry met in a sincere embrace in the middle of the crowd. Leaning over, Pop patted Barry on the back and simply said, "I told you you'd be glad you came."

All Barry could do was nod, agree, and embrace the man that lead him to the Title he had been fighting for.

Didn't he also say something along the lines of "Are you tired of me getting on your Ass?" I swear I heard something like this.

spur219
06-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Did anybody see where Bowen had told the camera while Duncan was warming up " I think he needs a hug". Then Duncan pushed him away. Then at the end of the game Duncan yells at Bowen " Now you can give me a hug". That was awesome.

S4Spur21
06-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Why do people say in other threads that Barry is trade bait?

PM5K
06-24-2005, 01:58 PM
That's one of the things I enjoy watching, seeing the reactions of the guys who haven't won one.

I believe the list includes:

Nazr
Brent
Tony Mass
Beno
Rasho
Devin
Glenn

Or basically more than half of the team. Some of those guys have been around a while, Glenn, Brent, Tony, and some not a long time but they ain't rookies, Rasho and Nazr, and some are rookies or pretty damn close Devin, Beno.

I wish I could have seen more of that, but I went downtown and only recorded a half hour after the game so I didn't get to see the reactions but I remember seeing how excited Tony and Glenn were to win the WCF so I can only imagine.

MI21
06-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Brent Barry should be huge next season.

He has found a new role as backup PG, and I think that should be one of the permanant roles on the team.

1Parker1
06-24-2005, 02:24 PM
On a side note, when they were showing behidn the scenes clips for the Finals, they showed one where Horry was arguing with a ref during a game over some call, he was saying, "Man, it wasn't me, it wasn't me who put it outta bounds." And the ref replies, "Oh yea, who was it, Will Smith?" :lol

whottt
06-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Didn't he also say something along the lines of "Are you tired of me getting on your Ass?" I swear I heard something like this.

Pop definitely said "I'm going to get on your ass" to Barry...
I can't tell what he said before that but I am pretty sure one of the words was "better".

Like "you better be on time or I'm going to get on your ass"...

Or, "you better not retire or I'm going to get on your ass"...

Maybe Barry said his career is complete now or something...and Pop said that back to him.

Pop did not say "I told you you'd be glad you came"...It doesn't make sense anyway...

Barry was the one wanted to come here, he waited for the Spurs last summer....Pop didn't have to recruit him...

2 Years ago after a loss with the Sonics Barry walked up to Pop and told him, "get me out of here". After that it was a no brainer that Barry was going to be on the Spurs radar duing the summer.

I think he was embarassed by Allen's whining personally...I know Allen likes Barry but I don't think the feeling was mutual. Barry got a worse asswhipping from Bruce than anyone in 02, gashed in the forehead and elbowed in the throat...and he didn't whine like a little bitch like Ray Allen, Vince Carter and those guys do. Again...that's something to remember when questioning his heart.

T Park
06-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Something about being on his ass thats what he said, Id have to listen again.

Brent Barry, will be the point guard/shooting guard we expected next year.

He knows what goes into it now, he'll be over his shooting slumps.

Hell be even MORE comfortable....

No doubt Barry will be that 6th man of the year candidate next year.

whottt
06-24-2005, 02:52 PM
On the Jim Rome Show today:

On winning the title:
Barry: Loves being a champion, it's why he came to the Spurs.

On Tim Duncan
Barry: Said he could not believe how people could question the heart and toughness of a 2 time Finals MVP to begin with. Said it was ridiculous.

On if he's talked to his brothers and Dad:
Barry: his brothers called him but it wasn't like they were overjoyed for him...more like jealous and wishing it was them.

He didn't talk about his Dad at all which is weird...The other 3 Barry's don't like Rick but Brent is supposedly the one that's "Proud to be Rick Barry's son". He didn't mention him though.

Rome asked him if he was going to wave his ring in Jon's face, Barry laughed and said he probably would.

On coming to the Spurs LOL it's funny listening to Barry talk about this and it has been all year...he sounds like he's been on an expedition to Africa or a foreign land or something, and he's telling every one of his adeventures in an exotic land.

Barry: Talked about Horry mentioning that anyone could come to SA and be sucessful...Barry agrees kind of but says that's because it's like they choose you, you don't choose them.

Barry: Talked about eating dinner with his teamates last night and how he enjoyed the international culture of the Spurs. Talked about how Tony and some other frenchmen were singing songs in French(he calls Tony's Posse the French Mafia)...talked about how Manu and his Dad were singing songs in Spanish...said he enjoyed the diversity.

On his struggles this season
Barry: Said he knew from the beginning it was going to be tough to get minutes and his struggles were trying to fit in on a new team and at a reduced capacity...

Barry:Said his substandard season was easier to live with because it ended in winning a championship.

Barry: Said Robert Horry was a guy who really helped adjusting to the team.

After that he thanked Jim for the Karma from when he came on the show in preseason...

Rome seemed like he had forgetten this, and basically nutted on air at being able to claim jungle Karma for the Spurs title...Rome seemed appreciative of Brent mentioning that and basically kissed Barry's ass for the rest of the interview and post interview.

Barry said he was getting ready to go back to California and the beach and was eady for summer.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 02:55 PM
He didn't talk about his Dad at all which is weird...The other 3 Barry's don't like Rick but Brent is supposedly the one that's "Proud to be Rick Barry's son". He didn't mention him though.

Earlier this year Brent said that it was still trying and that it was a work in progress. When I saw them together during the season with Brent's son. There still wasn't a lot of communication between Brent and Rick.

mcornelio
06-24-2005, 02:59 PM
On a side note, when they were showing behidn the scenes clips for the Finals, they showed one where Horry was arguing with a ref during a game over some call, he was saying, "Man, it wasn't me, it wasn't me who put it outta bounds." And the ref replies, "Oh yea, who was it, Will Smith?" :lol

i saw that part... lol i was laughing for like 30 mins..

http://hometown.aol.com/eliemedia/images/horry.jpg

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/31/45/38m.jpg

mcornelio
06-24-2005, 03:02 PM
why do the barry kids not like rick?... and why would they be jelous of brent... i aways thought jon was a cool dude

whottt
06-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Rick left their mom when they were kids...basically they grew up without a Dad...

It's weird...Rick Barry must have some hella basketball genes because all of his sons turned out to be pretty good pro ball players...but he had nothing to do with teaching them the game..they all made it on their own.

And jealous probably isn't the best word to describe the sibling rivalry...it's more like they are competitive and all want to be the best player in the family...they all want to beat each other...if you ever Brent and Jon play you'll see what I mean...they basically try to kick each others ass...the best game Brent played this season was against the Rockets when Duncan was out...he whipped the dogshit out of Jon in that game.

And no...I think Jon is a lot of things...but I don't think he's a nice guy...he's played for a lot of teams in his career...he's a got a real firey personality....whereas Brent is smarter I think...I like Jon's attitude but I've also seen him begin to think he was the man and start jacking up really bad shots.

I think Jon has his Dad's feisty personality(but most of Rick Barry's teamates thought he was an asshole and I've never seen anyone say they miss Jon when he leaves)...while Brent got most of his game and appearance...

BTW..Brent should get his Dad to give Duncan some FT shooting tips...