PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

The Reckoning
07-23-2012, 10:58 PM
any ex smokers in here still get an urge every time you see someone else light? it kills me...mostly because of the smell stimulates some kind of need for nicotine.

i havent smoked cigs in 5 months but i still get urges every now and then (and cheat if someone hands me one for free).

for me it was mostly a time filler...now i try to find coffee or even bite my nails during times when id usually smoke. what do yall do instead?

DeadlyDynasty
07-23-2012, 11:07 PM
synthetic heroin

spursfan1000
07-24-2012, 02:23 AM
coke..tbh

Avante
07-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Nothing looks worst than a good looking woman with a nasty cig hanging out of her mouth, yuck!!!!!!

TE
07-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Nothing looks worst than a good looking woman with a nasty cig hanging out of her mouth, yuck!!!!!!

Agreed.

That shit is nasty.

Wild Cobra
07-24-2012, 06:01 AM
any ex smokers in here still get an urge every time you see someone else light? it kills me...mostly because of the smell stimulates some kind of need for nicotine.

i havent smoked cigs in 5 months but i still get urges every now and then (and cheat if someone hands me one for free).

for me it was mostly a time filler...now i try to find coffee or even bite my nails during times when id usually smoke. what do yall do instead?
It was at least 2 years before the urge was completely gone to have a smoke after quitting for me.

Hook Dem
07-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Been quit for a little over a year now. It was an easy choice when faced with life or death. I had a mild heat attack and had to have a stent placed. I was a two pack a day person and just quit cold turkey. I had smoked for almost fifty years and I thought it would be hard but it wasn't. You can't quit until you really want to. To each his own.

silverblk mystix
07-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Well you could think about this before you light up;

A few people became billionaires because they came up with an idea that they would poison the world's population with highly addictive chemicals as long as they invested a huge amount of money convincing them first- that smoking these chemicals was a cool thing to do.
It worked. Untold addictions,deaths and diseases later- they are now gazillionaires because people actually paid for the privilege to be poisoned.
Decide if you still want to contribute to those gazillionaires funds. Their children and grandchildren really appreciate your support.

Drachen
07-24-2012, 11:04 AM

I quit smoking on april 7th of last year and it took a while for that urge to go away. I used to get it every time I walked through a cloud of fresh smoke, I still get it but nowhere near as often. I pretty much only get it when I am in a drinking situation and the urge is even very weak then. It really started to change when I started riding my bike a lot. If you are already otherwise healthy, I don't know what you can do other than wait it out or try to find something else that replaces the endorphin release. Good luck man

Drachen
07-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Well you could think about this before you light up;

A few people became billionaires because they came up with an idea that they would poison the world's population with highly addictive chemicals as long as they invested a huge amount of money convincing them first- that smoking these chemicals was a cool thing to do.
It worked. Untold addictions,deaths and diseases later- they are now gazillionaires because people actually paid for the privilege to be poisoned.
Decide if you still want to contribute to those gazillionaires funds. Their children and grandchildren really appreciate your support.

rational thought has no place in this. smokers know its bad, know it costs a lot, and do it anyway. Why? because it feels good.

silverblk mystix
07-24-2012, 11:12 AM
rational thought has no place in this. smokers know its bad, know it costs a lot, and do it anyway. Why? because it feels good.

Disagree.

The only thing-only thing- that makes someone change is understanding.
Otherwise what you and others have done is simply repressed something and when something is repressed- you are bound and tied to it.

Understanding what this poison has done to you, what damage these chemicals have caused and understanding how the brain and mind became addicted to this harmful activity- goes a lot further into helping you change than by merely attempting to use willpower to deny yourself.

When you truly understand the desire for it will drop.

Drachen
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Disagree.

The only thing-only thing- that makes someone change is understanding.
Otherwise what you and others have done is simply repressed something and when something is repressed- you are bound and tied to it.

Understanding what this poison has done to you, what damage these chemicals have caused and understanding how the brain and mind became addicted to this harmful activity- goes a lot further into helping you change than by merely attempting to use willpower to deny yourself.

When you truly understand the desire for it will drop.

Disagree right back at ya. I knew all of this before I quit (shit I knew all of this before I started). I have seen the damage caused, there isn't anything that you have said that isn't widely known. I quit because I was done. I was tired of being out of cash, out of breath, hiding it from my kids, and had another on the way so I wanted to be sure to be alive for them.

The push was: I went camping with the family and after we put the kids to bed, we were hanging out near the camp fire having a few beers, I took out my pack and started packing it lackidasically and my wife said that due to her pregnancy she couldn't stand the thought of me going the whole weekend smelling like smoke. She took the pack from me and told me that she would give it back to me sunday afternoon. I didn't resist because I knew her sense of smell was really strong and thought that it might happen. She gave them back on Sunday and I thought "I have already made it two days, lets see how long I can keep this up." I kept that pack on me for 6 more months and then finally gave it away since I didn't smoke any of them.

bus driver
07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
y do smokers throw their cigarette butts everywhere but an ash tray?

must be like a secret society thing?

Drachen
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
y do smokers throw their cigarette butts everywhere but an ash tray?

must be like a secret society thing?

Because Butts smell like Ass.
(I am assuming that you are talking about in the car)

If you are talking about in general, I would say that I could not answer that. I freaking hated seeing butts on the ground within 3 inches of an ash tray (and would pick them all up)

silverblk mystix
07-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Disagree right back at ya. I knew all of this before I quit (shit I knew all of this before I started). I have seen the damage caused, there isn't anything that you have said that isn't widely known. I quit because I was done. I was tired of being out of cash, out of breath, hiding it from my kids, and had another on the way so I wanted to be sure to be alive for them.

The push was: I went camping with the family and after we put the kids to bed, we were hanging out near the camp fire having a few beers, I took out my pack and started packing it lackidasically and my wife said that due to her pregnancy she couldn't stand the thought of me going the whole weekend smelling like smoke. She took the pack from me and told me that she would give it back to me sunday afternoon. I didn't resist because I knew her sense of smell was really strong and thought that it might happen. She gave them back on Sunday and I thought "I have already made it two days, lets see how long I can keep this up." I kept that pack on me for 6 more months and then finally gave it away since I didn't smoke any of them.

Generally disagree. Only in the sense that we are using different definitions of the word understand.

The first is what you mentioned. You knew it was bad, you knew, etc....

The second is deeper. The second one is when a guy goes to the doctor and the doctor says, "you have one month to live, get your affairs in order, the cancer is irreversible,etc"

This guy will never touch a cig again. Never.

That is the level of understanding I am talking about.

You don't have to let it go that far. If you deeply meditate on the second one and research and research how nasty and damaging this addiction is-- you can reach that level of understanding in your mind and it will have a lasting effect.

Drachen
07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Generally disagree. Only in the sense that we are using different definitions of the word understand.

The first is what you mentioned. You knew it was bad, you knew, etc....

The second is deeper. The second one is when a guy goes to the doctor and the doctor says, "you have one month to live, get your affairs in order, the cancer is irreversible,etc"

This guy will never touch a cig again. Never.

That is the level of understanding I am talking about.

You don't have to let it go that far. If you deeply meditate on the second one and research and research how nasty and damaging this addiction is-- you can reach that level of understanding in your mind and it will have a lasting effect.

Still different because that guy could just as easily say "well fuck it, I am dying anyway and I am not done smoking so onward and upward!".

I don't need to have a "white men cant jump - you can listen to jimi hendrix, but you can't hear him" type arguement. Addiction is not rational, so fighting it rationally will fail more often than not. The man you describe in your example had an emotional experience and quit because of it. I am not saying that education has no place, just that it doesn't take a very important place to someone who is already addicted.

silverblk mystix
07-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Still different because that guy could just as easily say "well fuck it, I am dying anyway and I am not done smoking so onward and upward!".

I don't need to have a "white men cant jump - you can listen to jimi hendrix, but you can't hear him" type arguement. Addiction is not rational, so fighting it rationally will fail more often than not. The man you describe in your example had an emotional experience and quit because of it. I am not saying that education has no place, just that it doesn't take a very important place to someone who is already addicted.

I see your point. I don't disagree on your point.

I think you underestimate levels of understanding.

When something is truly understood, it will lose it's power over you. Over an addicted person.

The addicted person can do the work and reach a level of understanding. Understanding what got him addicted, how the brain works, how the chemicals did their job, etc...

Once the addict completely understands- he will not need the drug anymore.

The medical experts (in the West, anyway) will not see this. They only see what kind of other drugs they can prescribe. They see an opportunity to make money or a name for themselves but they never see past that.

Anything else is not really changing- it is only a band aid.

bus driver
07-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Because Butts smell like Ass.
(I am assuming that you are talking about in the car)

If you are talking about in general, I would say that I could not answer that. I freaking hated seeing butts on the ground within 3 inches of an ash tray (and would pick them all up)

i meant in general cause i see butts flying out of cars and on the floor of streets or sidewalks. i guess i live in an ash tray. :depressed

Lincoln
07-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah it's filthy how smokers just throw their butts wherever the fuck they please, have some decency imo.

Drachen
07-24-2012, 12:56 PM
i meant in general cause i see butts flying out of cars and on the floor of streets or sidewalks. i guess i live in an ash tray. :depressed

No you DON'T live in an ashtray. Ashtrays are like kryptonite to smokers (it seems). They do anything that they can to avoid getting their cigarettes into ash trays. (As I said, I couldn't stand this even when I smoked).

Cant_Be_Faded
07-24-2012, 12:56 PM
RECKONING
find a way to get me your email so you can join our league

mavs>spurs
07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
lmao i can understand an old person smoking because they started back before there was massive info out about the harmful effects of smoking, but there's no excuse for a young adult to ever pick up a cigarette and put it in his mouth you'd be better served shoving a dick in there tbh faggot

:lol smoking

Cant_Be_Faded
07-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Here's one excuse
It increases your buzz. I usually bum 1 cig per concert I go to, and I dint mind bumming one after eating a shit load of pizza or a huge steak. Just feels like the perfect finisher to a good heavy meal

mavs>spurs
07-24-2012, 03:36 PM
yeah but in order to even know this, once upon a time you had to have the genius idea "hey! i know! i'll stick a cancer causing disgusting tasting phallic object in my mouth and puff on it!"

fucking retard

Lincoln
07-24-2012, 03:38 PM
They also think "one cig ain't gonna hurt"

Like I said before, I've had very few in my life (under 8) and they're not anything special and the buzz ain't worth it. Haven't had one in months

Cant_Be_Faded
07-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Nah
When you're young and stupid you don't think that far ahead

Cant_Be_Faded
07-24-2012, 03:40 PM
There's plenty of reasons to try your first cig when you're a kid that won't even register the health warning in the brain.

Peer pressure
What if some fine chick is smoking you want an easy ice breaker
Too fucked up to even remember who what why you smoked (the 4cc way)
Boredom
The high school never ending itch for a buzz of any kind

cantthinkofanything
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Well..here are some before and afters of people who thought they could give up cigarettes but never did...

still think smoking is cool?

http://www.bjorkaoddities.com/images/folder%20962/Faces%20of%20Meth4.jpg
http://whitearea.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/m5.jpg

http://www.yaboymartell.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/faces_of_meth_05.jpeg
http://parodyfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Faces-of-Meth.jpg

Lincoln
07-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Cool methamphetamine pictures bro

Lincoln
07-24-2012, 03:51 PM
:lol all those people look really fucked up to begin eith

Edward
07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Rational thought is something anyone who starts smoking in the first place lacks :lol

The large amount of people in this country who still smoke demonstrates how dumb the country is.

Blake
07-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I loled at Buscemi

Edward
07-24-2012, 04:22 PM
I also don't know how people I know in college who smoke a bunch ever have any money. That's the big thing other than health that would deter me is how expensive they are.

Clipper Nation
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Nah
When you're young and stupid you don't think that far ahead

It doesn't take some deep thought about the future to know that smoking that gross-ass shit is not a good idea, tbh.....

Lincoln
07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah and it's easy to see the physical results from smoking as well. People's faces will age very fast and become full of wrinkles+damaged looking hair and a low deep voice

Drachen
07-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Rational thought is something anyone who starts smoking in the first place lacks :lol

The large amount of people in this country who still smoke demonstrates how dumb the country is.

The first part of your post is the exact point that I was trying to make. Rational thought has no place in addiction because it is not born of rational thought.

Edward
07-24-2012, 04:34 PM
:lol trying to blame it on "addiction"

Addiction can't be blamed for why you smoked cigs in the first place and got addicted

Edward
07-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah and it's easy to see the physical results from smoking as well. People's faces will age very fast and become full of wrinkles+damaged looking hair and a low deep voice
Yeah like sorrostitutes who have consumed so much tobacco and jizz their throat is so beaten down they sound like a middle aged meth addict :lol

mavs>spurs
07-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah like sorrostitutes who have consumed so much tobacco and jizz their throat is so beaten down they sound like a middle aged meth addict :lol

:lmao thats like 10 X funnier because of an experience in the one and only general elective i actually took at the university. there was this chick in there who was obviously a sorrostitute and she'd try so hard in the dumbest class "intro to criminal justice" and was always bitching at the professor and complaining after a test was handed back in that deep ass "jizz and tobacco voice" i crofl'ed so hard i almost had to walk out of class once it dawned on me that this was exactly waht you were talking about when you first told me about sorrostitutes.

Drachen
07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
:lol trying to blame it on "addiction"

Addiction can't be blamed for why you smoked cigs in the first place and got addicted

The original post that I was responding to was trying to use rational thought as a way to talk a smoker out of it. I said rational thought has no place in a discussion about addiction (at least in a conversation with an addict).

There are many reasons why someone begins an addiction, rational thought isn't generally one of them.

Edward
07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
There are many reasons why someone begins an addiction, rational thought isn't generally one of them.
And I was saying stupidity is one of them

Drachen
07-24-2012, 04:59 PM
I absolutely won't argue that one. Starting smoking was a pretty dumb move on my part. I own that. Glad I am done.

DMC
07-24-2012, 07:59 PM
My friend calls that the "apache whiskey voice".

The Reckoning
07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
the OP addressed smokers on this site because i knew some people were quitting and i was curious to see how they handled things. of course people would use it as a soap box and cast the first stone to make them feel better about their fat, unhealthy selves.

anyway, i smoked in college because i worked 20+ hours a week while taking 16 hours of coursework. thats alot of 10 minute breaks, and i was making good money. seeing that cigs in australia are 20 bucks a pack and im getting to the age where cigs actually start fucking my lungs, its a no brainer to quit. im quitting cold turkey, and yeah its tough.

Bill_Brasky
07-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Occasional bud is cool, but cigs are disgusting, especially for women.....

leemajors
07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
I used to smoke, but never terribly heavily (except on mushrooms and I would smoke a whole pack). They started to give me headaches, every time I had one. That coupled with the rising cost of cigarettes from 2000 on made it easy for me to quit. I started cause in high school I could drink 3 Beast lights and smoke two cigarettes and get a wicked buzz.

cantthinkofanything
07-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I used to smoke, but never terribly heavily (except on mushrooms and I would smoke a whole pack). They started to give me headaches, every time I had one. That coupled with the rising cost of cigarettes from 2000 on made it easy for me to quit. I started cause in high school I could drink 3 Beast lights and smoke two cigarettes and get a wicked buzz.

I had a friend who used to have to smoke if we were doing mushrooms or acid. I hated smoking so it really fucked up my shit to have to smell the constant smoke. I felt like I could feel it burning my nose and body.

Drachen
07-25-2012, 09:40 AM
the OP addressed smokers on this site because i knew some people were quitting and i was curious to see how they handled things. of course people would use it as a soap box and cast the first stone to make them feel better about their fat, unhealthy selves.

anyway, i smoked in college because i worked 20+ hours a week while taking 16 hours of coursework. thats alot of 10 minute breaks, and i was making good money. seeing that cigs in australia are 20 bucks a pack and im getting to the age where cigs actually start fucking my lungs, its a no brainer to quit. im quitting cold turkey, and yeah its tough.

Well, good luck. I gave my address to the OP and if you need any more detail to it, please let me know. It does get easier, I still have very VERRRRRRY small urges and they are few and far between (most notably, recently I was tubing and started catching a buzz and wondered how drunk I had to be before it would be ok to bum a smoke - LOL, I didn't even feel the need to smoke one, but it was more an intellectual urge), but for the most part, I don't think about it anymore.

Edward
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM

Well then props :tu

Everyone I know who did the "I can smoke in college while I'm young and then quit before it starts fucking my lungs up" graduates and never quits. If you actually quit once you're done with school, then it's not a big deal, I just don't know very many people who do quit successfully.

The Reckoning
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Well, good luck. I gave my address to the OP and if you need any more detail to it, please let me know. It does get easier, I still have very VERRRRRRY small urges and they are few and far between (most notably, recently I was tubing and started catching a buzz and wondered how drunk I had to be before it would be ok to bum a smoke - LOL, I didn't even feel the need to smoke one, but it was more an intellectual urge), but for the most part, I don't think about it anymore.

:tu thanks for the input. i feel much better about it now. pretty much the only time i smoke now is for a peace offering...like if someone i meet gives me a cig. that's about it.

at first the moment id stress out id buy a pack immediately without thinking about it. after about 3 months i stopped have that reaction when shit happens, which is nice.

Avante
07-25-2012, 10:09 AM
I will make one exception, she is the only one who looked cool with a cig.

sU02JQ-AZpk (http://sU02JQ-AZpk)

cantthinkofanything
07-25-2012, 10:15 AM
I will make one exception, she is the only one who looked cool with a cig.

sU02JQ-AZpk (http://sU02JQ-AZpk)

nothing cool looking about that.
Look at the toll it too on her.
This is her at age 40. YUCK!

http://accidentalmommies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Lauren-Bacall.jpg

Avante
07-25-2012, 10:25 AM
nothing cool looking about that.
Look at the toll it too on her.
This is her at age 40. YUCK!

http://accidentalmommies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Lauren-Bacall.jpg

You don't have to sell...OH YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...to me. I would never date a girl who smoked, my friends who do learned a long time ago to keep it away from me. It's fucking gross!

Viva Las Espuelas
07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
I smoked off and on for about 6 years. One thing that definitely made me start to quit was smoking while I got a bad cold once. Boy did it make the cig really taste like crap. I just quit cold turkey one day. I believe my last cig was on january 1st of '00 or '01.

Drachen
07-25-2012, 10:46 AM
:tu thanks for the input. i feel much better about it now. pretty much the only time i smoke now is for a peace offering...like if someone i meet gives me a cig. that's about it.

at first the moment id stress out id buy a pack immediately without thinking about it. after about 3 months i stopped have that reaction when shit happens, which is nice.

This is similar to what happened to me during my 2nd most successful attempt at quitting. I quit the day before my daughter was born (5 years ago yesterday), and it lasted only about 6 months. I tried to do the whole "I will only smoke when I go out" which I didn't do often, so I thought that would work. I would go out, get a pack, then I would come home with 3/4 of a pack and stick it in the freezer. Then my step daughter started getting really bad, so I started poaching those cigs, and before I knew it, I was back to a pack a day.

At first it was hard to tell all my smoking buddies at work "no, you go on, I am trying to quit", but they were honestly my biggest cheerleaders as they understand better than anyone the desire to quit.

With all that being said, my two cents that you didnt ask for is this: I would stop altogether. It works so much better. I noticed passing "milestones" so much faster this time than the last time (by milestones I mean stuff like not thinking about cigs at certain times/situations, etc). Psychologically, if you open yourself to allowing yourself to smoke in certain situations, then you can very easily wedge other situations into those permissions. knowing this, I told my wife that this time I am going to go at least a year before I try to do the whole social smoking thing. I did, and it turns out, I don't have the urge to do that anymore (just so you know, the more I drank on the river, the worse of an idea a cigarette sounded like). This is how it has been since april 7, 2011 since I last had even a drag off a cigarette.

Maybe things will be different with you, but I just wanted to relate my experience