PDA

View Full Version : Bowen on Billups

Ghost Writer
06-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Take it from someone who has always been hard on Bruce and questioned Pop's moves... Coach Popovich saw how well Bowen guarded Billups in spots during the series and made the masterful decision to put his best perimeter defender on Billups for the majority of Game 7.

Bowen, for his part, shut down Billups, which stifled Prince and Hamilton and the Pistons in general.

Bowen's block on Billups sealed the deal.

And I believe that Bowen's 3 in the 4th quarter was the biggest make of the game.

Bill Walton and Tim Duncan both said that Popovich is the best coach in the NBA today.

You won't hear me b1tching about Bowen or Pop again.

Fo' real.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 01:01 PM
GhostWriter finally sees in Bowen what I've been preaching for 3 years.

Congratulations.

Good Times©

timvp
06-24-2005, 01:01 PM
R.I.P. Eric Williams

:cooldevil

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Nice.

Ghost Writer
06-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah, but Bowen is not friggin' LeBron, either, people.

In the past, I didn't feel we could justify Bowen in there, because the rest of the team was not that good offensively.

Parker and Ginobili blossomed offensively and we brought in Horry and Barry to score, too.

Plus, I give credit to Bowen for improving his 3-point shot and discovering an adequate mid-range jumper.

You saw that Bowen was the first Spur player to thank Larry Brown for a great series.

Bowen opened my eyes this time around.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Ginobili has "blossomed" into an All-Star and by some accounts a, yes, "superstar"...

I thought the Spurs had no talent outside of Duncan last year?

Ghost Writer
06-24-2005, 01:30 PM
We did not have a complementary star for Duncan last year and that's why we didn't make it to the Finals.

This year, we had All-Star Ginobili helping Duncan, Barry to do what Turkoglu couldn't, and Horry did not have to face the Lakers.

Last year, Bowen didn't shut down squat and couldn't hit anything.

This year, because the rest of the guys on the floor with Bowen could shoot, all Bowen needed to do was play D and hit the same wide open shots... in a sneaky way.

You never want to have to count on Bowen for scoring.

This year, with the Spurs overall improved offense, Bowen was able to just do his thing.

And we won.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2005, 01:35 PM
The Spurs missed out on a title in 200.4* by the slimmest of margins.

T Park
06-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Barry to do what Turkoglu couldn't

No, Barry bricked enough shots to fill the Hedo void.

BUT.

He did show toughness like a mofo in game 7.

His rebounding and other toughness was spectacular.

R.I.P Worst starting forward in the league.

samikeyp
06-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah, but Bowen is not friggin' LeBron, either, people.

yeah...LeBron don't play defense like Bruce! :)

50 & 21
06-24-2005, 06:24 PM
"Yeah, but Bowen is not friggin' LeBron, either, people."

We don't win this without Bowen and that's due to his DEFENSE (mostly). Great teams are filled with role-players and this Spurs team is no exception. I wouldn't have it any other way!

SequSpur
06-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Ghostwriter is a bandwagoner.

spurster
06-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Call 911. Someone has hijacked GW's handle! Or is three titles enough to mellow out GW?

rascal
06-24-2005, 07:13 PM
"Yeah, but Bowen is not friggin' LeBron, either, people."

We don't win this without Bowen and that's due to his DEFENCE (mostly). Great teams are filled with role-players and this Spurs team is no exception. I wouldn't have it any other way!

I'd say the spurs still win it with James instead of Bowen.

rascal
06-24-2005, 07:20 PM
I still do not like Bowen. Bowen should be just a defensive stopper and not get starters minutes.

He can be effective during crucial times of the game when defensive stops are needed and as a disruptive pest but a more competent all around quality sf should be starting and getting the bulk of the minutes.

Bowen was useless last year against the lakers and as he gets older he will be more of a liability than an asset. The spurs should be looking to add a young sf with potential if they can't work out a deal to get an established sf starter.

ducks
06-24-2005, 07:24 PM
mike brown will get the lazy king james to play D

Ozzy
06-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Ok, when exactly did TPark and Ghost Writer exchange nicks... From the post history it must have been somewhere around the day that Rasho sprained his ankle...

adidas11
06-24-2005, 07:55 PM
It's about damn time that both GhostWriter and MarcusBryant made their way back to the message board.

Welcome back fellas.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2005, 08:46 PM
He can be effective during crucial times of the game when defensive stops are neededWhen are defensive stops not needed?

Nellie, is that you?

Kori Ellis
06-24-2005, 08:47 PM
It's about damn time that both GhostWriter and MarcusBryant made their way back to the message board.

Welcome back fellas.

Where have you been? Marcus Bryant has never left.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Vince?

mcornelio
06-24-2005, 09:58 PM
you guys are so ungrateful... this guy bust his ass every game all game and does the little things to help this team win... and you guys talk shit about him like he never did shit for our team

midgetonadonkey
06-24-2005, 10:01 PM
you guys are so ungrateful... this guy bust his ass every game all game and does the little things to help this team win... and you guys talk shit about him like he never did shit for our team

No shit, he shuts motherfuckers down. He fucks up offensively but let's forgive that shit. The same way people can forget when good offensive plays fuck up on defense. Like the entire Suns team this year.

Jimcs50
06-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Bowen could have been the MVP of the whole playoffs for SA.

Think back to who he guarded and what he did to all those star scorers in every series.(Carmello, Allen, Marion, Rip, and Billips)

Had he not done as well defending those star scorers, the Spurs might not have made it to Finals in the fiirst place.

Major props to Bruce Bowen. :smokin

Das Texan
06-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Bowen should have been MVP. if not for his individual defense, we dont win.

Stats dont tell the whole story so many times.

That being said, I'm sure in some ways we like it with Bruce being so underappreciated nationally.