PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs are really, really good

DAF86
07-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Just a reminder, 'cause there seems to be too many debbie downers in here. This is a team that won 75% of its games last season and since getting all the current pieces toghether they were even better. They swept two teams in the playoffs and loss to a team that is great but (let's be honest) played a bit over their capacities (f.e: Ibaka going 55 for 55 or something like that, GTFO with that bullshit)

If the Spurs keep their pieces they will win close to 60 games even if they don't add an important player. Sure, it would be nice to switch Bonner for a player that has testicles but they're still good.

I know what you're thinking: "regular season champs", but you never know. One rival injury here, a Spurs' player stepping up there and you may find ourselves in an unexpected situation.

And even if these things don't happen, being regular season champs beats the hell out of being Mavs or Suns fans.

baseline bum
07-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Can't wait for this season after the stank of Dick was removed.

xellos88330
07-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Good thread!!! :toast

ElNono
07-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Not contenders, IMO, but we'll watch/bitch, go through the up/downs... because that's what fans do.

tdunk21
07-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Good thread!!! :toast

racm
07-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Just a reminder, 'cause there seems to be too many debbie downers in here. This is a team that won 75% of its games last season and since getting all the current pieces toghether they were even better. They swept two teams in the playoffs and loss to a team that is great but (let's be honest) played a bit over their capacities (f.e: Ibaka going 55 for 55 or something like that, GTFO with that bullshit)

If the Spurs keep their pieces they will win close to 60 games even if they don't add an important player. Sure, it would be nice to switch Bonner for a player that has testicles but they're still good.

I know what you're thinking: "regular season champs", but you never know. One rival injury here, a Spurs' player stepping up there and you may find ourselves in an unexpected situation.

And even if these things don't happen, being regular season champs beats the hell out of being Mavs or Suns fans.

Co-sign

And that Kawhi Leonard kid looks legit. Sophomore slumps rarely happen in the Spurs system, too.

vander
07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
The Spurs are a really, really good regular season team

come playoffs, they don't have anyone who can really create against tough playoff defense.

TP, our best player, will only be older and slower next year.
Manu will have about 1 great game per series, and will be garbage the rest of the time.
TD can't beat good defenders on the block.

to have any chance, we need an elite 2 guard that can get his own shot, against good defenses, someone who will take the opponent's best perimeter defender off of TP.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
The line between advancing and going home is SO thin sometimes. It can sometimes come down to a shot or two falling, or not.

racm
07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
The line between advancing and going home is SO thin sometimes. It can sometimes come down to a shot or two falling, or not.

I'd like to imagine how the 2012 playoffs would have gone if Durant's shot in game 1 against the Mavs clanked off the rim.

And a 2 guard? The Spurs have a very good wing tandem right now and one of them was just asked to create shots in Summer League.

urunobili
07-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Just having Jax on the roster is worth buying league pass. That plus TD farewell and the emergence of Kawhi are worth it. Go Spurs!

DMC
07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Can't wait for the ring ceremony this year.

Poolboy5623
07-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Ill take just a sip of the koolaid. I dont remember much going wrong last season, until the wcf. IMO in the cf and finals is when the true colors come out. The playoffs are a step up and then when its down to the final 4 the intensity picks up even more. That situation didn't bode well for the Spurs...I don't see how playing the same record is going to produce a different tune??

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-25-2012, 09:10 PM

Spot on! :toast

That's exactly what I think - we are still contenders, and last season we were a few long jumpshots away from the Finals. Who knows - a bit of luck and things could break our way next season.

BTW, in game 4 Ibaka/Perkins/Collison went 22/25... that and KD's 16 4th Q points swung the series. And yeah, it was freakin disgusting. I'm still a little :depressed about it. :lol

therealtruth
07-25-2012, 09:18 PM
I'll trade 60 win seasons for some defense that will actually give us a chance to win a championship. The Mavs only won when they added better defense with Tyson Chandler. Offense alone won't win it all.

therealtruth
07-25-2012, 09:20 PM
The Spurs are a really, really good regular season team

come playoffs, they don't have anyone who can really create against tough playoff defense.

TP, our best player, will only be older and slower next year.
Manu will have about 1 great game per series, and will be garbage the rest of the time.
TD can't beat good defenders on the block.

to have any chance, we need an elite 2 guard that can get his own shot, against good defenses, someone who will take the opponent's best perimeter defender off of TP.

Our offense is mostly fine. We can improve our low post scoring. It's our defense that really needs to get better.

racm
07-25-2012, 09:26 PM
I'll trade 60 win seasons for some defense that will actually give us a chance to win a championship. The Mavs only won when they added better defense with Tyson Chandler. Offense alone won't win it all.

Our offense is mostly fine. We can improve our low post scoring. It's our defense that really needs to get better.

So you won't be happy if the Spurs don't give their opponents 20 point blowouts on average? :downspin:

The Spurs were a pretty good defensive team last season - not elite, but good. They just got cold at the worst time possible (insert regression to the mean reference here) and it's hard to defend when you get a technical foul just for staring at the opponent's bench.

Poolboy5623
07-25-2012, 09:27 PM
The defense can't get that much better, with the same group?

DesignatedT
07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
In the NBA, there is only 3 or 4 teams that have a realistic chance every year. That's just how the sport works and that's why it isn't as popular as football or baseball. The Spurs are a great team and I'll take 50 win seasons every year even if we aren't one of those 3 or 4 teams. You never know- a team can get lucky and get hot at the right time (2011 mavs).

racm
07-25-2012, 11:05 PM
In the NBA, there is only 3 or 4 teams that have a realistic chance every year. That's just how the sport works and that's why it isn't as popular as football or baseball. The Spurs are a great team and I'll take 50 win seasons every year even if we aren't one of those 3 or 4 teams. You never know- a team can get lucky and get hot at the right time (2011 mavs).

Their worst challenge was the Blazers, imo...

To win it all these had to happen:

Manu breaking his arm against Phoenix
LAL having horrid perimeter D
Portland realizing their best player had no knees
The Thunder sneaking into the WCF because of the Grizzlies
LeBron becoming LeChoke.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Ill take just a sip of the koolaid. I dont remember much going wrong last season, until the wcf. IMO in the cf and finals is when the true colors come out. The playoffs are a step up and then when its down to the final 4 the intensity picks up even more. That situation didn't bode well for the Spurs...I don't see how playing the same record is going to produce a different tune??

The defense can't get that much better, with the same group?

Did you forget that we added three players, two of them in the rotation, and one starter with like five weeks left? And yes, the defense CAN get better because it DID get better at the end of the season last year. Both Jack and Diaw were part of a monster defense in Charlotte a few years ago.

spurs1990
07-25-2012, 11:54 PM
I instantly thought looking at the thread title that someone bumped it from April.

But in reality they're bringing back the roster who did whitewash the league for a looong stretch in a lockout year and I fully expect them to win close to 60 in 2013.

lcastro
07-26-2012, 12:17 AM

Awesome thread man! :flag: drive for 5 :flag:

Stabula
07-26-2012, 01:25 AM
Not contenders, IMO

I think the Spurs are still strong contenders to win it all next season. Most informed basketball enthusiasts last year expected the Spurs to win it all. Now we'll finally have a reliable back up PG in Mills, we're adding de Colo to the roster, Leonard will probably be a lot better, and if we're lucky we'll get rid of Blair and Neal for a big man of some kind. I think the Spurs are poised to win another championship if you ask me.

hooperflash
07-26-2012, 01:41 AM
awesome thread because it's true. +1

racm
07-26-2012, 01:54 AM
20 game win streak after the Spurs added Jackson/Diaw/Mills. :toast

Sean Cagney
07-26-2012, 02:03 AM
20 game win streak after the Spurs added Jackson/Diaw/Mills. :toast

True. Diaw and Jackson had some to do with it though, Mills played some garbage mins late in games or when the starters sat out, playoffs he was not even playing at all! He has alot to prove to me before I believe in him as more than a chucker when starters are out, but it's cool I still like the guy and wish him well.

racm
07-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Pop should run him more at the point, the PG Neal experiment is a failure. He wasn't in the playoff rotation because of that experiment.

siraulo23
07-26-2012, 03:30 AM
if the spurs reach the west finals again next season :tu

benefactor
07-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Can't wait for this season after the stank of Dick was removed.
:tu:tu

The Spurs are a great team and I'll take 50 win seasons every year even if we aren't one of those 3 or 4 teams.
Yeah...I don't mind the "regular season champs" title at this point in Duncan's career. They will win a lot of games and likely get eliminated again in the WCF.

Better than sucking or watching your GM gut your team chasing butterflies like the Rockets.

racm
07-26-2012, 07:07 AM
:tu:tu

Yeah...I don't mind the "regular season champs" title at this point in Duncan's career. They will win a lot of games and likely get eliminated again in the WCF.

Better than sucking or watching your GM gut your team chasing butterflies like the Rockets.

Tim Duncan has won the Spurs more titles than any other small market team in the shot-clock era. :toast

Fireball
07-26-2012, 07:18 AM
It will be interesting to see where the "experts" rank them this year ... I mean the preseason outlook becomes worse every season and in the end we still win 50+ games and the division.

Its so hard to win a championship, but I love watching this team play and if they rule the regular season and even can win some playoff series I am happy. We Spurs fans are still in a fortunate position (Matt Bonner or not ...), its time for some to realize that.

racm
07-26-2012, 07:21 AM
The pundits have declared the Spurs dead in the water every year since their 2009 flameout against the Mavericks, but Gregg Popovich's gutsy squad always finds a way to gain a postseason berth, not to mention 50 win seasons all the time.

xmas1997
07-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Only if they get rid of SJAX, Bonner, Blair, and play better defense than last year.

Leetonidas
07-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Next year will be a good season for our team, they will probably win around 60 games and have a top 2 seed in the West but unless they finally do something to address our lack of a C or Splitter grows a huge nutsack and Parker continues playing at the level he did, Manu has a resurgence, and Timmy continues to turn back to clock, we're going to lose in the 2nd round or WCF again imo, but who knows if Tim/Tony/Manu can even play at this level for a whole season again

Leetonidas
07-26-2012, 07:34 AM
unless Leonard really, really has an impressive sophomore year and elevates his game big time, which is possible. I have a feeling he's going to be averaging around 15/6.5/2

Fireball
07-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Only if they get rid of SJAX, Bonner, Blair, and play better defense than last year.

I like to keep SJax for his swagger and he can somewhat guard the Nowitzkis and Aldridges of this world by playing them physical.

therealtruth
07-26-2012, 07:44 AM
With Diaw Pop has more versatility and with a whole training camp he should add more wrinkles to the offense. However I think Pop has to go back to defense first. We have enough good enough defenders that we don't need to play the bad defenders that much. That means they have to improve or sit. That means guys like Bonner, Blair, Neal shouldn't see the floor unless they're playing well.

Chomag
07-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Next year will be a good season for our team, they will probably win around 60 games and have a top 2 seed in the West but unless they finally do something to address our lack of a C or Splitter grows a huge nutsack and Parker continues playing at the level he did, Manu has a resurgence, and Timmy continues to turn back to clock, we're going to lose in the 2nd round or WCF again imo, but who knows if Tim/Tony/Manu can even play at this level for a whole season again

I love the enthusiasm but allot people seem to think that our "core" are some kind of super heroes that defy human logic. Manu's researgence is all in his past now only thing we can hope for is a spurt here and there. Timmy will now be what 37? Not sure how much he cun turn the clock back on a way above prime high milaged body. They do have some great roll players but not where it counts, Tim can no longer hold the fort (paint) all by himself but my god was he a beast when he could.

It is what it is, and unless the fo can find a way to address their key issues Spurs will still be just a good team and I'll enjoy watching them good or bad as I have allways done since the 89-90 season. However my expectations are no longer high for them. They will just not be good enough to beat the better elite teams but they will sure be fun as hell to cheer on.

ManuTastic
07-26-2012, 09:32 AM

The Real Deal right here. As I see it, this team has a LOT of offense, so what we need to shop for is a stopper. Inside, outside, I don't really care. Just someone who can man up on D. Sure we're not an elite defensive unit any more, and we can't stop whole teams, but damn I'm sick of watching EVERY mofo on the other team stick shots in our face. Even a bench disruptor like Tony Allen or some dude like that would be welcome. AT this point I'd bring back Bruce for 10 min/game.

racm
07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
You think another year won't turn Leonard into the defender the FO traded up for?

rascal
07-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Spot on! :toast

That's exactly what I think - we are still contenders, and last season we were a few long jumpshots away from the Finals. Who knows - a bit of luck and things could break our way next season.

BTW, in game 4 Ibaka/Perkins/Collison went 22/25... that and KD's 16 4th Q points swung the series. And yeah, it was freakin disgusting. I'm still a little :depressed about it. :lol

The Spurs had lots of luck last year top seed, easy playoff matchups, no injuries, lakers had a down year, and still it wasn't good enough.

rascal
07-26-2012, 11:20 AM
You think another year won't turn Leonard into the defender the FO traded up for?

Leonard will improve overall as a player.

Stabula
07-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Being the top seed was an act of luck? I guess San Antonio is just super lucky to have the top seed back to back years. I also wouldn't call being uninjured an act of good luck, I'd consider injuries to be an act of bad luck. If anything the Spurs got a lot of bad luck in the WCF with fluke performances from OKC role players and Hardon blowing his entire load against the Spurs. They also got more bad luck with starting SG Danny Green going ice cold. The Spurs should have won it all.

Proxy
07-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Looking forward to seeing Kawhi step up, having an actual backup PG in Mills, and Diaw having more of a scoring role.

Manu, Jack, and Tiago as the second unit is still awesome... crossing my fingers for health.

Having Jack and Diaw instead of Dick and Blair would be a fools dream at this point last year.

TE
07-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Our ceiling is the WCF. If we get past OKC, which will take a miracle, I fully expect to lose to the superfriends.

DAF86
07-26-2012, 05:24 PM
I think it more as their floor is the WCSF.

Brutalis
07-26-2012, 06:16 PM
If they have this roster in the playoffs they fold like a box yet again.

racm
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Mein Gott you guys missed the point of the OP. I'm pretty sure fans of teams like the Timberwolves or the Bucks would love to be us.

therealtruth
07-26-2012, 07:25 PM
The key I think is Kawhi and Diaw have to enter the equation of the big 3. If they can do that we will be doing pretty well. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to. That will allow Manu and TD to play more support roles.

NickiRasgo
07-26-2012, 07:58 PM

This was a nice thread. :toast

At the beginning of the last season, I almost lost hope after being 12-9 then they surprised us really. They finished 50-16 from 12-9. Imagine that. Yeah I know it's only regular season but still a great accomplishment and Pop really manages well the minutes of our players.

To add.

They swept two teams in the playoffs and loss to a team that is great but (let's be honest) played a bit over their capacities (f.e: Ibaka going 55 for 55 or something like that, GTFO with that bullshit)

Agree with this that's why I hated the Thunder when they play against the Heat, they choked. This was posted from timvp's thread of the shooting percentage of the key players of Thunder.

http://dailyelements.com/wcfml.jpg

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199785

And we almost beat them (though they had some help from officials during Game 6). And during that time, Green and Leonard was only their first NBA Playoffs even Tiago. Diaw is not on his shape and etc. I believe with more training camp, our players will be more even better. Hopefully the Spurs plays next season like looking for a revenge.

Yeah. Hopefully they improve more and with the training camp, I believe more of them. Just like what Kawhi did in Summer League. Blair and Bonner is still decent in regular season but honestly when Playoffs come, they usually choke (though Blair not really but he's really undersized, slow in the paint but I wished before that Pop should use him against the Thunder more. Blair really played well against the Thunder). And I know RC/Pop are aware about our frontline. And for all those whiners out there who post about trade that, trade this player, all we have to do is to have a patience. I know when midseason comes, they will trade someone for decent bigs or what we are looking for maybe a signing again like what we did for Diaw last season. They even trade RJ for SJax that really makes us happy. No more RJ, though Bonner is still here. :lol Let's hope also more improvement of the team and hopefully De Colo plays liked a "Rookie Manu".

It was a great season. :toast

Believe. :flag:

Hooks
07-26-2012, 07:59 PM
The Spurs won't win anything with Bonner on the roster, he's been a major part of of Spurs big man rotation for years now, once the PO's come he becomes totally useless on offense and defense.

Others teams don't respect his 3pt shooting taking away his floor stretching ability affecting the entire offense, he routinely gets scored on, disrupts the offensive ball movement as well and teams aren't afraid to attack the rim when he's on the floor. It's Pop's fault for making him such a major piece in the regular season, ship his ass out like people have been saying for years and the team will adapt over time, even Blair contributed more than Bonner did against OKC.

Stabula
07-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Mein Gott you guys missed the point of the OP. I'm pretty sure fans of teams like the Timberwolves or the Bucks would love to be us.

Hard to imagine being a fan of either of those teams. Must be depressing.

Stabula
07-26-2012, 08:16 PM
It's funny how at pretty much the same time a "LMAO Spurs" thread and a "The Spurs are really, really good" thread started.

G-Dawgg
07-26-2012, 08:31 PM
The Spurs ARE really good, but they are not good enough to get over the hump..... they came up short last season and haven't made any significant moves to add new players. Other teams teams like the Lakers, OKC and Miami Heat have gotten even better than last year. San Antonio has fallen behind.......

...read my sig below......

therealtruth
07-26-2012, 08:49 PM
The Spurs won't win anything with Bonner on the roster, he's been a major part of of Spurs big man rotation for years now, once the PO's come he becomes totally useless on offense and defense.

Others teams don't respect his 3pt shooting taking away his floor stretching ability affecting the entire offense, he routinely gets scored on, disrupts the offensive ball movement as well and teams aren't afraid to attack the rim when he's on the floor. It's Pop's fault for making him such a major piece in the regular season, ship his ass out like people have been saying for years and the team will adapt over time, even Blair contributed more than Bonner did against OKC.

Everybody sees it but Pop and a few posters on this board. Hopefully he gets 10 min max during the regular season. Or Blair finally develops a jumpshot and he gets left out of the rotation all together.

racm
07-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Stop acting as if the trade deadline has already happened. The roster will be the same come training camp, but as the season unfolds we'll see whether the Spurs make another midseason move.

This team was on an absolute tear after their last midseason moves, and remember when they brought back the 2006 core and won it all in 2007?

DAF86
05-27-2013, 10:59 PM

:hat