PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated national team?

pass1st
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/even/rank/p/openNodeIDs/943/selNodeID/943/rankMen.html

I'd have to go with Greece, they never won an olympic medal and never won gold in the FIBA world games. Greece should be in the 6th or 7th place at best, Lithuania is a much better team.

TheRealCB
07-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Greece is along with Spain the most consistent European team..Having a shitty coach the last 3 years is too much to overcome imho.

And remember,Greece is the last team to beat US since 2004...It's not like we suck or something.

pass1st
07-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Greece is along with Spain the most consistent European team..Having a shitty coach the last 3 years is too much to overcome imho.

And remember,Greece is the last team to beat US since 2004...It's not like we suck or something.

Beating a watered down US team isn't worth much, tbh. Lithuania has actually won olympic medals in basketball and almost beat the 2000 dream team. They are typically a better international basketball team

TheRealCB
07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Beating a watered down US team isn't worth much, tbh. Lithuania has actually won olympic medals in basketball and almost beat the 2000 dream team. They are typically a better international basketball team

First of all,the difference between Greece and Lithuania is 62 points,when it's almost 200 from 3 to 4,and 120 from 5 to 6..That shows that they are close.

Second,(it has no actual importance to the list) that US team was stacked with superstars..Kobe was the only one missing,so you can't discount that.

Third,Lithuania has won 3 bronze Olympic medals and the last one was in 2000 (I'd guess it's a dynamic system so they don't have much value to the rank),I bronze in the World's and nothing else,2 Eurobasket medals and mediocrity in other years.

Greece may have never won an Olympic medal,but has finished 5th all 3 times,has been a top 6 in World's every time save for 2010,a rebuilding year and has finished in the top 6 in Eurobasket since 2001.

Consistency gives us the nod.

Tbh,Turkey over Serbia and France is the real travesty imho

jag
07-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Greece may have never won an Olympic medal

:lol Greece

Bunch of limp-wristed homos

Stabula
07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Usa

pass1st
07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
First of all,the difference between Greece and Lithuania is 62 points,when it's almost 200 from 3 to 4,and 120 from 5 to 6..That shows that they are close.

Second,(it has no actual importance to the list) that US team was stacked with superstars..Kobe was the only one missing,so you can't discount that.

Third,Lithuania has won 3 bronze Olympic medals and the last one was in 2000 (I'd guess it's a dynamic system so they don't have much value to the rank),I bronze in the World's and nothing else,2 Eurobasket medals and mediocrity in other years.

Greece may have never won an Olympic medal,but has finished 5th all 3 times,has been a top 6 in World's every time save for 2010,a rebuilding year and has finished in the top 6 in Eurobasket since 2001.

Consistency gives us the nod.

Tbh,Turkey over Serbia and France is the real travesty imho

Let me stop you there, you are calling this (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_wcm/teamPlay/team/p/eventid/3507/langid/1/langlc/en/roundid/3507/teamnumber/379/fe_teamPlay_teamRost.html) stacked? Maybe right now, in hindsight, Wade + CP3 + Lebron + Howard seems stacked, but back then they weren't half as good as they are today. Let's not even mention that the team was filled with average NBA players. Elton Brand played like he didn't want to be there.

If you threw KG or even Shaq in there instead of Howard then it would have been a curbstomp, Dwight couldn't handle that fatass on Greece's team back then.

Not winning an olympic medal is like never winning a chip, they never won the gold in FIBA world championship either. That year they beat USA, they were systematically curbstomped by Spain. Lithuania has cosistently done better in the Olympics.

Greece at 6th or 7th makes more sense

TheRealCB
07-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Let me stop you there, you are calling this (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_wcm/teamPlay/team/p/eventid/3507/langid/1/langlc/en/roundid/3507/teamnumber/379/fe_teamPlay_teamRost.html) stacked? Maybe right now, in hindsight, Wade + CP3 + Lebron + Howard seems stacked, but back then they weren't half as good as they are today. Let's not even mention that the team was filled with average NBA players. Elton Brand played like he didn't want to be there.

If you threw KG or even Shaq in there instead of Howard then it would have been a curbstomp, Dwight couldn't handle that fatass on Greece's team back then.

Not winning an olympic medal is like never winning a chip, they never won the gold in FIBA world championship either. That year they beat USA, they were systematically curbstomped by Spain. Lithuania has cosistently done better in the Olympics.

Greece at 6th or 7th makes more sense
Yeah,Wade sucked in 2006:rolleyes
Plus,Schortianitis (the fat guy) didn't beat Dwight by posting him up,but by pick n rolling him to death (a part Dwight is supposed to be great at),and Elton Brand was an all-star..Also,good job ignoring Bosh and Carmelo :toast

And let's say Lithuania is better than Greece(which I am fine with).Name any other team that could go over Greece.

Plus,here how the ranking is made:http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/even/rank/p/openNodeIDs/998/selNodeID/998/howItWork.html

So,the last 8 years count,and no European team other than Spain has been better than Greece during that span.

TE
07-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Spain, Lithuania, and Greece.

pass1st
07-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah,Wade sucked in 2006:rolleyes
Plus,Schortianitis (the fat guy) didn't beat Dwight by posting him up,but by pick n rolling him to death (a part Dwight is supposed to be great at),and Elton Brand was an all-star..Also,good job ignoring Bosh and Carmelo :toast

And let's say Lithuania is better than Greece(which I am fine with).Name any other team that could go over Greece.

Plus,here how the ranking is made:http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/even/rank/p/openNodeIDs/998/selNodeID/998/howItWork.html

So,the last 8 years count,and no European team other than Spain has been better than Greece during that span.

His type of play in 2006 wouldn't fair well under FIBA rules. He was streaky during the games and that's because a lot of his points were coming from the line. Today, his game wouldn't be nearly as linear. Although he's still a linear player, he improved in that regard.

Dwight couldn't defend him and it broke the team apart. I ignored Bosh + Melo because they aren't much better now then they were back then. Melo picked up his 3pt shooting and that's about it.

Idc how the ranking is made, because it's flawed. Greece isn't better over the last 20 years than Lithuania.

smaka
07-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Greece
Turkey (they only survive with help from referees)

ElNono
07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
:lol greece
:lol their only decent players born in america
:lol making Josh Childress look like Jordan
:lol barn stadiums

tesseractive
07-26-2012, 03:20 PM
:lol barn stadiums

Seriously? :rollin

TheRealCB
07-26-2012, 03:23 PM
His type of play in 2006 wouldn't fair well under FIBA rules. He was streaky during the games and that's because a lot of his points were coming from the line. Today, his game wouldn't be nearly as linear. Although he's still a linear player, he improved in that regard.

Dwight couldn't defend him and it broke the team apart. I ignored Bosh + Melo because they aren't much better now then they were back then. Melo picked up his 3pt shooting and that's about it.

Idc how the ranking is made, because it's flawed. Greece isn't better over the last 20 years than Lithuania.
Ok,I told you I can agree with Greece being 5th...Is there any other team that you'd consider better?

ElNono
07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Ok,I told you I can agree with Greece being 5th...Is there any other team that you'd consider better?

Nigeria :downspin::downspin::downspin:

TheRealCB
07-26-2012, 03:35 PM
We have a coach that is Mike Brown on offense and D' Antoni on defense. It's hard to beat anyone that way son:toast

DAF86
07-26-2012, 04:11 PM
FWIW that ranking is made with points earned under objective meters. That's not a Power ranking bullshit or something like.

TE
07-26-2012, 04:12 PM

:lol

pass1st
07-26-2012, 04:12 PM

rayjayjohnson
07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Australia. Patty Mills #1 option? :lmao

The Olympics are infuriating here, media has a field day about how good the Australian Olympic (all sports) team is. It's going to be doubly funny when Great Britain win more medals than us.

pass1st
07-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Australia. Patty Mills #1 option? :lmao

The Olympics are infuriating here, media has a field day about how good the Australian Olympic (all sports) team is. It's going to be doubly funny when Great Britain win more medals than us.

Phelps > Thorpe

8FOR!3
07-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Why's everybody hate Greece so much here? I'm not saying I'm a fan lol, but I don't really have an opinion on them. Is it bc of that Manu_Forever guy?

Stabula
07-26-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't get why Greece would be considered overrated when no one rates them too well.

pass1st
07-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Why's everybody hate Greece so much here? I'm not saying I'm a fan lol, but I don't really have an opinion on them. Is it bc of that Manu_Forever guy?

Pretty much, he would always say the NBA was behind the euroleague and the greek league. He said that vspan guy was better than Kobe and as good as Jordan. A lot of dumb shit

rayjayjohnson
07-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Phelps > Thorpe

agreed.

i'm amazed you even know who thorpe is

rayjayjohnson
07-26-2012, 04:27 PM
phelps punches cones like a man

pass1st
07-26-2012, 04:28 PM
agreed.

i'm amazed you even know who thorpe is

that big footed bastard was too pussy to compete in 2008

8FOR!3
07-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Pretty much, he would always say the NBA was behind the euroleague and the greek league. He said that vspan guy was better than Kobe and as good as Jordan. A lot of dumb shit

LOL Spanoulis? I actually enjoyed watching the guy play, but he's a borderline NBA backup (on a crappy team)-3rd string point guard at best.

TE
07-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Greece has consistently been overrated since beating the US in 06. These are things that are common knowledge.

turkish spurs fan
07-26-2012, 05:11 PM
turkey

pass1st
07-26-2012, 05:32 PM
turkey
http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f4d4e4969bedd4c10000055/armenia-genocide-turkey-france-bill-law.jpg

tesseractive
07-26-2012, 05:56 PM
http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f4d4e4969bedd4c10000055/armenia-genocide-turkey-france-bill-law.jpg

"Turkeys guilty of genocide"

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJ9vZHqAyaP1qYvTBkuR-AtY7f155RqT6uUEucCDMIGcIqARc_KPgTpFKd3g

Someone needs an apostrophe pretty badly.

:lmao

TimmehC
07-26-2012, 07:20 PM
LOL Italy
They're way too high on that list.

Brazil, Russia and France should probably be higher.

Latarian Milton
07-26-2012, 08:07 PM
in their best days greece were tied with argentina as the 2 and 3, when spain werent even relevant. spain's basketball started to blossom about the same time their football did so, and the process began with the rise of barcelona F.C. as a dominant power which happened no earlier than the 06' world cup

yup greece has been shit for years now, in the basketball court and beyond, but it doesn't rescind their old successes in their history book imho. they remain the country where the earliest civilization took place in humans history

racm
07-26-2012, 09:47 PM
in their best days greece were tied with argentina as the 2 and 3, when spain werent even relevant. spain's basketball started to blossom about the same time their football did so, and the process began with the rise of barcelona F.C. as a dominant power which happened no earlier than the 06' world cup

yup greece has been shit for years now, in the basketball court and beyond, but it doesn't rescind their old successes in their history book imho. they remain the country where the earliest civilization took place in humans history

Egypt and China scoff at the goat-buggerers.

tesseractive
07-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Overrated. Iraq, the middle east, Asia Minor, China, India. All older. The Greeks are just overrated because the Arabs liked reading their books, and passed them along when they were done. The Romans were the ones who kicked ass and took names.

ElNono
07-26-2012, 11:13 PM

Spain didn't become good until they started drinking the blood of the African brothers and ended up with freaks like Ibaka, who can't even speak spanish but plays for them, IMO.

Stabula
07-27-2012, 01:37 AM
yup greece. they remain the country where the earliest civilization took place in humans history

I actually think the Mesopotamian civilization of Sumer trumps Greece by thousands of years.

mudyez
07-27-2012, 01:39 AM
to answer the question:

Not saying Team USA isn't the best, but I feel like they are still overrated.

Stabula
07-27-2012, 01:42 AM
to answer the question:

Not saying Team USA isn't the best, but I feel like they are still overrated.

This.

Team USA is clearly overrated being called a dream team and all this bullshit. They're just a Westbrick shot or two away from losing to teams like Argentina or Spain.

racm
07-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Exactly. Team USA is the favorite, but they aren't going on a 1992-esque run.

mudyez
07-27-2012, 10:22 AM
regarding team usa:

actually I was a little shocked about their history (last 18 years)...

olympia: 1st 3rd 1st

world cup: 3rd 6th 3rd 1st

...not even winning half of these tournaments!!! (and only 1 out of 5 in between)

...actually I should have known this, but with all the hype it still feels like they never lost a single game.

(btw.: whats up with pan american and fiba america?...do they send highschoolers or what?)

pass1st
07-27-2012, 11:23 AM
regarding team usa:

actually I was a little shocked about their history (last 18 years)...

olympia: 1st 3rd 1st

world cup: 3rd 6th 3rd 1st

...not even winning half of these tournaments!!! (and only 1 out of 5 in between)

...actually I should have known this, but with all the hype it still feels like they never lost a single game.

(btw.: whats up with pan american and fiba america?...do they send highschoolers or what?)

USA historically never cared about the FIBA world cup.

urunobili
07-27-2012, 01:31 PM
:lmao Greece

LkrFan
07-27-2012, 04:27 PM

TheRealCB
08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/even/rank/p/openNodeIDs/943/selNodeID/943/rankMen.html

I'd have to go with Greece, they never won an olympic medal and never won gold in the FIBA world games. Greece should be in the 6th or 7th place at best, Lithuania is a much better team.

So the rankings have been updated,and yes Greece is so overrated it's not even funny.

Jodelo
08-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Still 4th? :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Venti Quattro
08-15-2012, 04:29 PM
The difference between #2 and #3 is so huge it's not even funny.

pass1st
08-15-2012, 04:46 PM
FIBA should have docked Greece for not even qualifying

TheRealCB
08-16-2012, 01:11 AM
FIBA should have docked Greece for not even qualifying
Imo at least Russia and France should be above Greece...I don't get how we're still 4.

Venti Quattro
08-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Nigeria should be over Greece.