PDA

View Full Version : K-Mart???

SpurSwag
07-26-2012, 11:43 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere else, but has anyone even heard a word about him? I personally think he'd be a great fit for us, maybe not personality wise, but definitely in terms of skill set. He's a good, rugged post defender, good rebounder, passable mid range shooter, and I think would make a great fit next to TD. Anyone hear anything?

Wild Cobra Kai
07-26-2012, 11:56 PM
The Spurs paid the Luxury tax last year ($2.5M), but with the new harsh penalties for repeat tax payers, they want to dip and stay below it this year. Right now, they are just about $1.2M below the tax. Unless they cut Blair, and they might, I don't see them getting anyone else. Another bonus of being below the tax is that we can be a part of sign and trades. Starting next July, teams that paid the tax cannot be a part of a sign and trade, either sending or receiving such a player.

sinok
07-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Never been posted. Anywhere.
spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199520 (http://spurstalk.com/forums/spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199520)

Tuddy
07-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Defender at the 4 is the only weak spot we have, Martin's gotta sign for the minimum for his last contract

sinok
07-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Why shouldn't he sign for more?

Bruno
07-27-2012, 09:20 AM
There are very little rumors around K-Mart. I don't know exactly why is the reason of that of activity around him but that's a little strange.

Beside K-Mart, something to wonder is if Spurs are looking to improve their frontcourt.
Two weeks ago, after Spurs signed Duncan, Diaw, Green, Mills and De Colo, Spurs staff repetitively said they like their roster and wasn't looking to change it. They said that they liked Spurs bigmen and how they all bring something different on the table. An hint that it wasn't just all talk is that Spurs haven't been linked to a single free agent since that.
However, the situation around Blair isn't very clear. He said that he will likely be traded. There have been rumors about Spurs wanting a first round pick for him. During a SL game, Brent Barry was very specific about him and said Spurs could decide to go with a player that match up well against the length, athleticism and mobility of their main opponents. There are too some issues around his knees.

So, what to conclude?
Spurs aren't really looking to add a bigman. If there were after a lot of players, rumors would have leaked.
At best, Spurs are looking at a very little number of players. It would be through free agency or trade but I doubt Spurs have more than 2 or 3 targets.
At worst, Spurs are standing pat. There is still the trade deadline in February to improve the team if needed.

mountainballer
07-27-2012, 09:37 AM
I assume K-Mart does have some offers (maybe from the Spurs as well), but all are just for the minimum. I also assume, at this point, he isn't ready to sign for the minimum. if he doesn't get a better offer, he will choose a contender or a big city like LA or NY. for the minimum, he won't have a problem to find a team. it won't be the Spurs though.

DrSteffo
07-27-2012, 11:31 AM
I think he is a bit underrated and much better than the minimum. He has some issues but what the hell.

BackHome
07-28-2012, 11:55 PM
No way in Hell does he play for us..

spurs10
07-29-2012, 12:17 AM
K Mart and Pop is hard to see, although I think we need some toughness under the basket. It seems like when we imploded in the WCF it was more about perimeter defense than anything else.

racm
07-29-2012, 12:49 AM
It was basically Parker turning the ball over from Sefolosha pressuring him and the Thunder making the midrange jumpers the Spurs wanted them to take, not to mention Harden getting hot.

When the Thunder blew their DRI-assisted hot streak in the Finals, it was apparent it was as much a question of getting hot at the right time as it was exposing the Spurs' rotation vulnerabilities.

dunkman
07-31-2012, 09:03 AM
K-Mart could bring defense and toughness that's been lacking from the Spurs bigs, since Dice retired. That could be essential for the PO's, I'm not sure what are the Spurs waiting for. Once the training camp is over, he will have trouble integrating.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-31-2012, 09:57 AM
K-Mart could bring defense and toughness that's been lacking from the Spurs bigs, since Dice retired. That could be essential for the PO's, I'm not sure what are the Spurs waiting for. Once the training camp is over, he will have trouble integrating.

He's most likely looking for more than the min, which the Spurs cannot offer. If he was ok with the min he would have already signed somewhere.