PDA

View Full Version : Phil Collins is BACK. Recognize.

Spurminator
07-27-2012, 12:04 AM
http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2012/07/26/phil-collins-enters-billboard-200-top-10-thanks-to-amazon-discount/

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/storage/music-news-images/M_PhilCollins630_032112.jpg

Phil Collins hasn’t released any new music in quite a while, but the pop-rock singer/drummer finds himself near the top of the Billboard 200 album chart this week.

Collins’ 1998 best-of collection, simply titled Hits, landed at #6 on the tally. Why, you ask? Because the Amazon MP3 store sold the recording for 99 cents for one day last week. This represents the sometimes Genesis star’s first foray into the Billboard 200′s top 10 since his 1989 album, But Seriously, reached #1. Collins has had only one other solo effort that has charted higher than Hits in the U.S., 1985′s No Jacket Required, which also rose to #1.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

lefty
07-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Back from the dead?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-27-2012, 12:59 AM
You tink detts bedd

Rememba tha time he made a music video with Bone Thugs In Harmony???

AussieFanKurt
07-27-2012, 05:33 AM
EZZAhI5Z3LQ

leemajors
07-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Against All Odds!

CubanMustGo
07-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Against All Odds!

Ah, and that brings back memories of the (then) luscious Rachel Ward. Yummmmm ...

bus driver
07-27-2012, 08:30 AM
EZZAhI5Z3LQ

ELc9Aw3fS-g

PC was great in these moives :wakeup

Clipper Nation
07-27-2012, 09:09 AM
You tink detts bedd

Rememba tha time he made a music video with Bone Thugs In Harmony???

Phil Collins is a mf'n GANGSTA, son... acknowledge the rep....

AussieFanKurt
07-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Phil Collins is a mf'n GANGSTA, son... acknowledge the rep....

Truth

Venti Quattro
07-27-2012, 10:05 AM
JnDYattQH3Y

Venti Quattro
07-27-2012, 10:10 AM
B7Z-eUmR2bM

leemajors
07-27-2012, 10:14 AM
JnDYattQH3Y

Fail son, the video makes the song 10x better:

f8q8kB87APc

cantthinkofanything
07-27-2012, 10:39 AM
manxPVTLth8

mojorizen7
07-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Collins is one of only three recording artists (along with Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson) who have sold over 100 million albums worldwide both as solo artists and (separately) as principal members of a band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins

DeadlyDynasty
07-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Always liked Peter Gabriel better, tbh.

Drachen
07-27-2012, 02:44 PM
First, Phil Collins in the air tonight is such a great song
Second, He retired and now concentrates on his new passion of being an Alamo historian (really)
Third, if you want a video that makes a song ten times better than may I present this:

_61hzuGGJX0

cantthinkofanything
07-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Always liked Peter Gabriel better, tbh.

x2

But I like Genesis better with PC.

DeadlyDynasty
07-27-2012, 02:58 PM
x2

But I like Genesis better with PC.

Agreed...PC-led Genesis was much more successful, but there's an endearing quality to the early prog-rock albums like Nursery Chryme, Foxtrot, and Selling England by the Pound.

cantthinkofanything
07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Agreed...PC-led Genesis was much more successful, but there's an endearing quality to the early prog-rock albums like Nursery Chryme, Foxtrot, and Selling England by the Pound.

Guess I'm backtracking. I really didn't care much for the most commercial of the Genesis stuff. But really some of the songs from Abacab. That's the first I remember hearing from them...courtesy of MTV.

Tried to listen to the PG Genesis but couldn't really get into it. But didn't give it much time either...

benefactor
07-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Collins is one of only three recording artists (along with Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson) who have sold over 100 million albums worldwide both as solo artists and (separately) as principal members of a band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins
Music godfather level shit, tbh.

mrsmaalox
07-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I can't compare Phil Collins to Peter Gabriel---I love them both for very different reasons. But it's good to see Phil again; I believe I read somewhere that his hands are paralyzed and he can no longer play drums?!

CubanMustGo
07-27-2012, 04:19 PM
I can't compare Phil Collins to Peter Gabriel---I love them both for very different reasons. But it's good to see Phil again; I believe I read somewhere that his hands are paralyzed and he can no longer play drums?!

From the Wiki page above:

Health problems

Collins reported losing his hearing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_impairment) in his right ear in 2000 due to a viral infection. In September 2009, it was reported that Collins could no longer play drums, due to a recent operation to repair dislocated vertebrae in his neck.[77] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins#cite_note-76) A statement from Collins on the Genesis band website said, "There isn't any drama regarding my 'disability' and playing drums. Somehow during the last Genesis tour I dislocated some vertebrae in my upper neck and that affected my hands. After a successful operation on my neck, my hands still can't function normally. Maybe in a year or so it will change, but for now it is impossible for me to play drums or piano. I am not in any 'distressed' state; stuff happens in life."[78] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins#cite_note-77)

Drachen
07-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Translation: I don't have to work anymore and I'm supposed to be sad? I'm rich bitch!

leemajors
07-27-2012, 05:35 PM
1pkVLqSaahk

back in the spitting image days

DeadlyDynasty
07-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Guess I'm backtracking. I really didn't care much for the most commercial of the Genesis stuff. But really some of the songs from Abacab. That's the first I remember hearing from them...courtesy of MTV.

Tried to listen to the PG Genesis but couldn't really get into it. But didn't give it much time either...

It's an acquired taste...really strange shit. Supper's Ready is 23 minutes of musical chaos about an apocalyptic walk with his girl. Really weird shit, but somewhat interesting.

redzero
07-28-2012, 12:23 AM
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

redzero
07-28-2012, 12:28 AM
But seriously, I can't get into Genesis. Kind of boring, like Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

HI-FI
07-28-2012, 01:30 AM
cool to see Phil Collins get some respect on here, especially since he visits San antonio all the time, he's a huge Alamophile. I wonder if he ever goes to a Spurs game.

as for the PG vs PC debate, both were great in their own way. I think the sound would have changed even if PG remained with them, even PG's solo albums had some pop songs. Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a badass album, probably my favorite that i've listened to. Duke is some good shit too.

DD mentioned Supper's Ready,that song is fantastic. There are still a few of their albums that I haven't heard.

Bynumite
07-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Grand Theft Auto in-game appearance... nuff said.

gZrcUDRUBjw

Chris
07-29-2012, 02:30 PM
1pkVLqSaahk

This song is the truth, definitely my favorite Phil Collins song.

mojorizen7
07-29-2012, 10:19 PM
I really dig this twisted tune.
g7reewnkeuI
Wembley concert rumbles the foundations of my quaint apartment often on ye ole home theatre. :toast

ChumpDumper
07-30-2012, 12:45 AM
From the Wiki page above:

Health problems

Collins reported losing his hearing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_impairment) in his right ear in 2000 due to a viral infection. In September 2009, it was reported that Collins could no longer play drums, due to a recent operation to repair dislocated vertebrae in his neck.[77] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins#cite_note-76) A statement from Collins on the Genesis band website said, "There isn't any drama regarding my 'disability' and playing drums. Somehow during the last Genesis tour I dislocated some vertebrae in my upper neck and that affected my hands. After a successful operation on my neck, my hands still can't function normally. Maybe in a year or so it will change, but for now it is impossible for me to play drums or piano. I am not in any 'distressed' state; stuff happens in life."[78] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins#cite_note-77)

Translation: I don't have to work anymore and I'm supposed to be sad? I'm rich bitch!I believe he's just sticking to singing in the meantime. I seem to remember a Motown tribute tour or something like that. He can always have Chester play drums for him.

Drachen
07-30-2012, 08:25 AM
1pkVLqSaahk

This song is the truth, definitely my favorite Phil Collins song.

I won't say that it is my favorite phil collins song (in the air tonight takes that crown), but this is easily right behind it. I liked it when the song first came out and I didn't know what it was about because I was 6. I knew all the words to it and it just sounded cool. Then years later, I heard it again and developed a new appreciation of it.

In the air tonight really benefits from the movie risky business (in my mind) because the feeling of that scene is forever linked to the song.