PDA

View Full Version : Someone appreciate the Spurs

ambchang
06-24-2005, 01:46 PM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1119563715345&call_pageid=968332188492&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

Spurs reclaim crown
Grab NBA title back from Pistons in Game7 thriller
Duncan answers his critics with MVP performance
Spurs win series 4-3

DOUG SMITH
SPORTS REPORTER

SAN ANTONIO, Tex.—People had been questioning him like he was some raw, unproven rookie, some journeyman unaccustomed to big games, big moments, big responsibility.

And Tim Duncan had to have heard the comments and the questions and then he went out and shut everybody up.

Effective in every facet of the game — scoring, rebounding and passing — Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs answered any questions about their mental toughness here last night, beating the defending champion Detroit Pistons 81-74 in Game7 of the NBA final to win their third championship in the last six years — the last coming in 2003.

Duncan, who had been criticized for failing in the fourth quarters of Games5 and 6, had 25 points and 11 rebounds and was named the series' most valuable player — the third time he's won that award in three trips to the final.

"It wasn't the greatest of games but there was a stretch there where I felt really good and I just wanted to be aggressive," said Duncan, who in typical fashion deflected any praise to his teammates. "Those guys ... just continued to throw the ball in and to feed me. They were more confident in me than I was and that is so appreciated, they'll never understand."

Manu Ginobili, reprising the attacking mode he'd shown in Games1 and 2, scored 21 points and iced the game with two free throws with 22 seconds left.

The two biggest shots of the game — a Ginobili three-pointer that put the Spurs up by seven with about three minutes to go and a Bruce Bowen three that wiped out a Detroit lead early in the fourth — came off passes from Duncan, who calmly welcomed a double team and then hit wide-open teammates when it came.

They were the kind of intelligent plays that have marked the career of the 29-year-old, who some consider the best power forward in NBA history.

"He always feels so responsible, he's so hard on himself every time he doesn't play so good," Ginobili said of Duncan. "I knew sooner or later he was going to show up, especially down the stretch and that shows what kind of player he is.

"I'm very, very proud to be his teammate."

Even Detroit's Chauncey Billups, as good a big-game player as there is in the NBA, could do little to counter Duncan's effort. The Pistons captain and 2003 finals MVP had just 13 points — on 3-for-8 shooting from the floor — and he was never able to take control of the game.

The Spurs switched Bruce Bowen on to Billups for most of the fourth quarter and San Antonio's best defender took him out of the game. Bowen blocked an ill-advised Billups three-pointer in the final 90 seconds that was Detroit's last good chance to get into the game.

"My main focus was I didn't want Chauncey to get hot," said Bowen.

The game was as delightful as it was close, a fitting end to a series between the two best defensive teams in the league. It, and Games5 and 6, more than made up for four straight blowouts to begin the series as the Spurs and Pistons showed that compelling, entertaining basketball need not be played at breakneck speed.

Neither team led by more than six points in a first half that included nine lead changes and 11 ties; the Pistons seemingly took command in the third quarter until Duncan single-handedly brought the Spurs back into the game and there were enough stellar plays at both ends of the court to satisfy anyone.

For Detroit, Rasheed Wallace was a non-factor after picking up three first-half fouls, then his fourth less than a minute into the third quarter. He finished with just 11 points and one rebound and only Ben Wallace (12 points, 11 boards) played up to expectations for the Pistons.

The question now is what becomes of Detroit coach Larry Brown, who is to enter the Mayo Clinic to see if doctors can correct a bladder problem that's troubled him since November. He has said he wants to continue to coach next season, but only if his health will allow him.

"I'm as proud of my team today as I was June16 last year (when the Pistons won the championship)," said Brown. "I think it's great for our league, these kinds of teams playing. Emotionally, you want to win badly; I also recognize another team earned it."

He wouldn't discuss his future.

"C'mon, let's talk about the game, that's the most important thing. I hope I'll be back coaching, that's been my plan if Joe (Dumars, Detroit's president) wants me and I'm able to do it. But they just won a championship. It's about the players and their team."