PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Someone tell me...

Yonivore
07-28-2012, 06:19 PM
...what are Chicago's gun laws?

The Deadliest Global City (http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/The-Deadliest-Global-City-163874546.html)

Chicago likes to compare itself to other world cities, so Ward Room thought it would find out how we rank in violence. It turns out no one can top us. Among what are considered Alpha world cities, Chicago has the highest murder rate -- higher even than the Third World metropolises of Mexico City and Sao Paolo. Here’s how we rank in murders per 100,000 among cities we consider our peers, based on a projected murder total of 505 for this year.

Singapore 0.4
Tokyo 0.5
Hong Kong 0.6
Berlin 1.0
Sydney 1.0
London 1.4
Toronto 1.7
Amsterdam 1.8
Paris 4.4
New York 6.0
Los Angeles 7.5
Mexico City 8.0
Moscow 9.6
Sao Paolo 15.6
Chicago 19.4
Out-fucking-standing, Chicago! Must be the Mayor's values.

AussieFanKurt
07-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Wow higher than Sao Paulo and Mexico City is somewhat of a surprise

Yonivore
07-28-2012, 06:28 PM
But wait! There's more about Chicago's value system...

[from March 2, 2008]

Chicago Democrats and The Chicago Mob (http://nalert.blogspot.com/2008/03/chicago-democrats-and-chicago-mob.html)

Obama's key fundraiser Tony Rezko goes on trial Monday.It's important to take a broader look at America's most corrupt large city: Chicago.(We apologize from the outset,some links no longer exist or passages we quote never existed on the web.)Chicago has had a Democratic Mayor since 1931,and today in 2008,49 of 50 Chicago Aldermen are Democrats.This long post is about the Chicago Mob and the Democratic Party machine.
Former Alderman Dick Simpson, who's now a professor at University of Illinois-Chicago, has some disturbing numbers on Chicago and Illinois politicians:

Since 1973, the U.S. attorney has indicted 30 aldermen and convicted 27 (one died before trial and two stand trial this spring).The Public Corruption and Accountability Project at UIC calculates that there have been more than 1,000 local and state governmental officials convicted since the 1970s. The "corruption tax," or cost of government corruption for Cook County residents, is now more than $300 million a year, greater than the local government tax increases this year. We can't really afford more local "Hired Truck" schemes, patronage hiring, or the state pension and driver license scandals of recent years.

Yonivore
07-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Wow higher than Sao Paulo and Mexico City is somewhat of a surprise
And both of those cities also have very restrictive gun laws, no?

AussieFanKurt
07-28-2012, 06:30 PM
And both of those cities also have very restrictive gun laws, no?

Don't know, don't care

Yonivore
07-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Don't know, don't care
Well, they do. And, while you may not care, it certainly speaks to the effect of gun control laws on violent crime.

Perhaps, just perhaps, there's something else at work in those places that enjoy a lower crime rate with more restrictive gun laws. For instance, in Australia, you have fewer gun-related crimes but, your violent crime rate is 4 times ours.

Winehole23
07-29-2012, 03:31 AM
lol venturing sociological generalizations on the strength of cherry picked statistical correlations

boutons_deux
07-29-2012, 05:19 AM
What a wild coincidence!

Where is that black man in the WHITEmans's House from?

boutons_deux
07-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Billboard Compares Obama To Aurora Shooter

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Google-ChromeScreenSnapz019.png

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/07/28/602101/billboard-compares-obama-to-aurora-shooter/

Tame crap compared to the nasty shit coming from Karl Rove's $100Ms.

boutons_deux
07-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Chicago gun control correlates with high murder rate (not gun murder rate).

Ergo, gun control CAUSES high (gun?) murder rate.

jack sommerset
07-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Billboard Compares Obama To Aurora Shooter

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Google-ChromeScreenSnapz019.png

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/07/28/602101/billboard-compares-obama-to-aurora-shooter/

Tame crap compared to the nasty shit coming from Karl Rove's $100Ms.

Brother, people pulled this sort of stunt on Bush all the time. The code pink ladies went quiet almost 4 years ago. I actually thought they were against wars. It was money, brother. They have a political agenda. Let's pray that the USA will stop all the killings. God bless

Yonivore
07-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Brother, people pulled this sort of stunt on Bush all the time. The code pink ladies went quiet almost 4 years ago. I actually thought they were against wars. It was money, brother. They have a political agenda. Let's pray that the USA will stop all the killings. God bless
A couple of quick questions to which I truly don't know the answer:

1) Is Karl Rove connected to the Ralph Smeed Foundation?
2) Is Karl Rove worth hundreds of millions of dollars?
3) Doesn't President Obama personally sit down every week and decide who lives and who dies on his terrorist hit list? (Okay, I know the answer to this one.)

I do continue to wonder of the Nobel Prize Committee is kicking themselves for their idiocy.

ChumpDumper
07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Eh, people don't know exactly how peace prizes recipients are chosen.

But lol @ defensive board Republicans.

jack sommerset
07-29-2012, 02:56 PM
You would think warmongers/murderers like Obama wouldn't win a peace prize. God bless

ChumpDumper
07-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Whom did Obama murder, jack?

Ron bless.

jack sommerset
07-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Lots of people. God bless

ChumpDumper
07-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Lots of people. God blessWho?

Ron bless.

jack sommerset
07-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Who?

Ron bless.

I'm the last person who will play this silly game of yours. God bless

ChumpDumper
07-29-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm the last person who will play this silly game of yours. God blessI agree you're the last person who will answer a direct question.

Ron bless.

Yonivore
07-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Eh, people don't know exactly how peace prizes recipients are chosen.
You're right. And, it obvious it's not for the recipients ability to achieve peace anywhere in the world.

ChumpDumper
07-29-2012, 03:04 PM
You're right. And, it obvious it's not for the recipients ability to achieve peace anywhere in the world.Potential ability, for the most part. It's largely a wishful thinking award.

George Gervin's Afro
07-29-2012, 04:53 PM
eet moor chiken!

Spurs da champs
07-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Interesting to hear Justice Scalia (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/29/scalia-opens-door-for-gun-control-legislation/) of all people is open to the proposition of gun control. He's the most conservative of the justices' which makes that really surprising to here, funny how that nut job is open to gun control but the idiots in Congress are not?

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Scalia is a fascist so him wanting gun control isn't much of a surprise tbh

ChumpDumper
07-30-2012, 12:14 AM
^that right there should raise the alert that powerful forces are at work here. they've bought the bastard off.Who bought him off?

Spurs da champs
07-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Scalia is a fascist so him wanting gun control isn't much of a surprise tbh

Fascist or not, for someone was far to the right as Scalia to suggest such a thing is a surprise, he's basically the Rush Limbaugh of the Supreme Court.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 12:42 AM
I actually just read that linked article, and the two quotes from Scalia with regards to the topic at hand are:

“will have to be decided in future cases.”

and

“We’ll see,”

How you interpret that into a tacit support for gun control is kinda beyond me. Then again, they managed to cram about 50 talking points in the same article, so not surprised either.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:44 AM
I actually just read that linked article, and the two quotes from Scalia with regards to the topic at hand are:

and

“We’ll see,”

How you interpret that into a tacit support for gun control is kinda beyond me. Then again, they managed to cram about 50 talking points in the same article, so not surprised either.
Finally, someone read the article.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 12:45 AM
You're all welcome... BTW

Spurs da champs
07-30-2012, 12:51 AM

and

“We’ll see,”

I didn't state he was for it, I stated "he was open to the proposition".

ElNono
07-30-2012, 01:00 AM
I didn't state he was for it, I stated "he was open to the proposition".

Well, to be fair, it wasn't just you. The article title says basically the same thing.

The thing is, it's not like it's his choice to be "open" or not about the proposition. He merely explained that the previous case didn't address gun ownership, and a future case will have to address it. If the court as a whole decides to take on such case, then he's going to have to address it. It just isn't his call. That's just not how the SCOTUS work.

Spurs da champs
07-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Well, to be fair, it wasn't just you. The article title says basically the same thing.

The thing is, it's not like it's his choice to be "open" or not about the proposition. He merely explained that the previous case didn't address gun ownership, and a future case will have to address it. If the court as a whole decides to take on such case, then he's going to have to address it. It just isn't his call. That's just not how the SCOTUS work.

Well it's not the first time Fox has been misleading.

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Well it's not the first time Fox has been misleading.
What's misleading about title or the article? Hell, they even embed the video so you can hear it come out of Justice Scalia's mouth.

Scalia opens door for gun-control legislation, extends slow burning debate (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/29/scalia-opens-door-for-gun-control-legislation/#ixzz2277Jnrli)

Nothing in the title says he advocates or proposes gun-control legislation. In fact, I interpreted -- before reading -- that he somehow let some SCOTUS cat out of the bag. But, really, all he said is that all the questions on 2nd amendment limitations haven't come before the Court and, in viewing some 19th century law, there's a possibility the Court will have to take up the issue in the future.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 12:22 PM
What's misleading about title or the article?

That he's not in a position to "open" or "close" any doors on the subject?

ElNono
07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
dp

Yonivore
07-30-2012, 12:29 PM
That he's not in a position to "open" or "close" any doors on the subject?
Opens door to conversation, consideration, illumination, etc...

You're too literal and I can't believe the sides of this argument on which we two find ourselves.

He was responding to a question, I believe, from the Fox News interviewer about the gun-control designs of Democrats and Scalia rightly pointed out there is case law, dating back to the 19th century, that could be dragged out and dusted off that would open the door to gun-control legislation limiting the 2nd amendment.

ElNono
07-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Opens door to conversation, consideration, illumination, etc...

He doesn't have that power, never did, and never claimed he did. If a case comes up and the SCOTUS agrees to see it, he's going to have to address it, whether he's "open" to it or not. That's his job.

:lol you accusing anybody of being too literal

Wild Cobra
07-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Wasn't Washington DC the highest until the citizens won their rights back in court?